This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
same old question but I did not find a right answer for my sister's situation. Well, she has 3.0 cGPA and 2.85 science GPA with 18 MCAT score. She's a junior now and wants to apply next year, so she wants to know if she could a decent chance to get in a pod school. Seriously, this question is for her, not me since I already got accepted in D.O school.

Thanks guys and feel free to drop any comments.
TXDO

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
same old question but I did not find a right answer for my sister's situation. Well, she has 3.0 cGPA and 2.85 science GPA with 18 MCAT score. She's a junior now and wants to apply next year, so she wants to know if she could a decent chance to get in a pod school. Seriously, this question is for her, not me since I already got accepted in D.O school.

Thanks guys and feel free to drop any comments.
TXDO

Answer: Not hard if the GPA is ok (it is) & the MCAT's lower - though a retake & 20+ will ice it. Some school will take ya. But...

Read in the Pod Residents forum, words of wisdom from Tracheadoc that CLAIM the DPM profession is going to hell in a basket. So, buyer beware are his words & thus, why bother w/ Pod school according to him. :rolleyes:

Raise science GPA to at least 3.0 and raise MCAT to 22+ and she'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raise science GPA to at least 3.0 and raise MCAT to 22+ and she'll be fine.
Thanks
I did recalculated her GPA following to the pod application GPA rules then
Science GPA is 3.09
Cummulative GPA is 3.18
MCAT: 18

So the chance is getting better, right?

Thanks guys

Yeah GPA looks ok, just tell her to work on that MCAT.

great. she can maybe get in. but what about succeeding? A low MCAT and low gpa are quite likely to be indicative of success in school. Then all the stuff that threatdoc or whatever is name is is more likely to happen.

Thanks
Science GPA is 3.09
Cummulative GPA is 3.18

Thanks guys

Im confused... I believe you and all but how can cumulative gpa change? I could see science gpa going up if you thought Mathematics were included... but cumulative should stay the same right? Or am I missing something?

Im confused... I believe you and all but how can cumulative gpa change? I could see science gpa going up if you thought Mathematics were included... but cumulative should stay the same right? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for pointing that out. Well, when I first asked the question, I was kinnda guess her GPAs without calculating. These numbers I did calucalte from the pod website That why there is a obvious difference.

Reactions: 1 user
She has a pretty good chance of getting in. I had the same MCAT score and similar sGPA, maybe a little higher. I have been accepted to three schools already. Getting in is the easy part, staying in and with the group is another :) Hope she gets in!

I can't stress enough that just because it's overall easier to get into podiatric medical school than an MD/DO program, it is ABSOLUTELY NOT any easier to complete. I would even say that some aspects of it are even more difficult than an MD program. A 3.0 GPA may slide, but an 18 MCAT is hard to overcome unless you have some other incredible asterisk that sets you apart from the crowd.

Retake the MCAT. I strongly recommend everyone take biochemistry and microbiology before attempting the MCAT also :thumbup:

Ugh...the Biology section on my MCAT suffered because of what you just stated. At the time I took it, my only biology background was my schools General Biology I/II (no biochem or micro). It was compounded by the fact that my Biology II professor basically turned the class into plant physiology and ecology...

I am taking biochemistry now, however..

Thanks
Science GPA is 3.09
Cummulative GPA is 3.18

Thanks guys

You can get in both pod and DO schools with those numbers .

Getting through them...well I dont think anyone can really tell.

I know of a person with a decent mcat (25) fail out of pod school, and I have seen people with 3.0 gpa's make it through.

Members don't see this ad :)

quote]

i wouldnt be so sure about getting into a DO school with those numbers. average MCAT for DO is ~25 with a 3.4-3.5 GPA. pretty significant difference from the scores posted by the OP. but yeah, exceptions happen. pod school is much more likely where their average MCAT is 21.

quote]

i wouldnt be so sure about getting into a DO school with those numbers. average MCAT for DO is ~25 with a 3.4-3.5 GPA. pretty significant difference from the scores posted by the OP. but yeah, exceptions happen. pod school is much more likely where their average MCAT is 21.

really?

I have seen and heard people get in with 18s, 19s, 20s, etc.

I know some people who got in with below 20 mcat.

Last edited by a moderator:
She should be able to get in with those scores. I know of 1 person at my school with a 2.7 gpa and 21 mcat.

With this economy? Probably really really good if you can get the loans.

Hi I am a rising 4th year student at UVA and am applying to podiatry school this September and I was wondering what my chances were of getting in. I have a 2.6 gpa (2.8 science). Im taking the Mcat in August. I have lots of extracurriculars and lots of clinical experience and research and have shadowed two podiatrists that are both giving me a recommendation. I also am currently retaking the second part of orgo that I got a D in the first time I took it. What do you guys think? Also UVA is a high ranked school (#23 I believe in the nation, #2 for public schools), does that have any factor on my acceptance?

thanks

I know of a person with a decent mcat (25) fail out of pod school, and I have seen people with 3.0 gpa's make it through.

Really, I thought that most D.O. schools were much higher than that. In my area Midwestern University in Chicago has much higher requirements (3.5-3.6 and 27 MCAT) What D.O. schools are you referring to?

Really, I thought that most D.O. schools were much higher than that. In my area Midwestern University in Chicago has much higher requirements (3.5-3.6 and 27 MCAT) What D.O. schools are you referring to?

DCOM (In Tenn), VCOM, and NYCOM.

Lets just say I know a few people in these schools with low low mcats.
I still think its funny when DO students bash pods for low mcat scores, when some of their schools still accept people with similar mcat as pod schools.

DCOM (In Tenn), VCOM, and NYCOM.

Lets just say I know a few people in these schools with low low mcats.
I still think its funny when DO students bash pods for low mcat scores, when some of their schools still accept people with similar mcat as pod schools.

I had to google this, what the hell is Lincoln Memorial University? I think it's relatively new. Sounds like its located in the sticks.

tell her to apply broadly and she will definitely get in

just to clarify: are you guys referring to average MCAT scores of ACCEPTED applicants or average of applicants who APPLIED ? big difference

thanks in advance !

DO is ~25 with a 3.4-3.5 GPA.
These stats are not that far apart

You are terribly misinformed if you think the above stats will get you into DO schools. Yes it does happen, but I bet you can count on one hand the number of applicants who get into an MD/DO program nationwide with an 18 3.0 or similar.

I am no expert on pod admissions but I bet those are still considered a reach with those stats.

You are terribly misinformed if you think the above stats will get you into DO schools. Yes it does happen, but I bet you can count on one hand the number of applicants who get into an MD/DO program nationwide with an 18 3.0 or similar.

I am no expert on pod admissions but I bet those are still considered a reach with those stats.

At my undergrad if you got a 3.0 and a 24 you were guaranteed a spot at two different DO schools. Getting into a DO school is much easier than getting into MD and getting into POD schools is even easier still. Let's just be real.

At my undergrad if you got a 3.0 and a 24 you were guaranteed a spot at two different DO schools. Getting into a DO school is much easier than getting into MD and getting into POD schools is even easier still. Let's just be real.

Guaranteed admission or guaranteed interview? I highly doubt the med school you are referring to simply opens the doors to anyone with a 3.0 or 24+ MCAT.

What you are referring to sounds like an early decision program where you can apply during your sophomore year and if the admissions committee finds it appropriate you can matriculate after you graduate if your have certain stats which of course vary by school. Im certain there is an interview somewhere along the way as well.

Im not here to argue which program is easier to get into DO or MD, and if you did your research you would see the gap is quickly closing. If you need an example my first year class has a high cumulative GPA than our states MD school and I have many classmates who turned down MD acceptances to be where they are at.

My original comment was that a low GPA along with an MCAT score than puts you in the bottom 10% of test takers will give you a slim chance of matriculating into any competitive professional programs.

Guaranteed admission or guaranteed interview? I highly doubt the med school you are referring to simply opens the doors to anyone with a 3.0 or 24+ MCAT.

What you are referring to sounds like an early decision program where you can apply during your sophomore year and if the admissions committee finds it appropriate you can matriculate after you graduate if your have certain stats which of course vary by school. Im certain there is an interview somewhere along the way as well.

Im not here to argue which program is easier to get into DO or MD, and if you did your research you would see the gap is quickly closing. If you need an example my first year class has a high cumulative GPA than our states MD school and I have many classmates who turned down MD acceptances to be where they are at.

My original comment was that a low GPA along with an MCAT score than puts you in the bottom 10% of test takers will give you a slim chance of matriculating into any competitive professional programs.

PCOM is one of them for certain... They reserve 10 or 12 spots.

Please clarify, and I really am not trying to pick a fight with you. It sounds like they reserve 10-12 spots from some sort of program (early decision, post bac). There are thousands of applicants every year with 3.0+ and 24+ scores that are turned away without interviews. Simply having certain numbers will not get you into any professional school.

No offense, but how the heck would you know this? First of all, the whole idea is completely ridiculous. Do you realize how many students apply to DO programs, including PCOM? No school in their right mind would "reserve" ANY spots for students with low stats. Just like any of the other schools, they will pick who they think is the best candidate. Just like some MD or other DO programs, occasionally they'll choose to let someone in with low stats because of something else on their application, but its foolish to think that someone with low stats has a good chance of getting into ANY school unless they have something else that really makes them stand out.

It sounds to me like you really have no idea what you're talking about. You're obviously doing podiatry as well, so either you applied to these DO schools previously and got rejected (disproving your bad stats theory) or your never applied to DO schools at all and wouldn't have any credible experience on the matter.

I don't want to be combative, but I think you're spreading incorrect info.

No offense, but how the heck would you know this? First of all, the whole idea is completely ridiculous. Do you realize how many students apply to DO programs, including PCOM? No school in their right mind would "reserve" ANY spots for students with low stats. Just like any of the other schools, they will pick who they think is the best candidate. Just like some MD or other DO programs, occasionally they'll choose to let someone in with low stats because of something else on their application, but its foolish to think that someone with low stats has a good chance of getting into ANY school unless they have something else that really makes them stand out.

It sounds to me like you really have no idea what you're talking about. You're obviously doing podiatry as well, so either you applied to these DO schools previously and got rejected (disproving your bad stats theory) or your never applied to DO schools at all and wouldn't have any credible experience on the matter.

I don't want to be combative, but I think you're spreading incorrect info.
like i said my undergrad school had spots reserved with them. thats how i know.

like i said my undergrad school had spots reserved with them. thats how i know.

You mind sharing what undergrad you went to because you may have gone to the only school in the country that gets such privileges. I'm sure this would be valuable info for pre-meds.

Is she ready to work?

I mean nothing would ruin her life more than getting in and then getting kicked out for poor grades.

It would be an expense that she may spend the rest of her life paying for literally.

If she's serious about hard work, then she needs to prove it.

Otherwise, I don't think she deserves a chance.

some schools might take her, but no guarantee. GPA is decent, but MCAT is kind of low. I would definitely suggest her to retake MCAT and get a 22. Princeton Review has pretty good prep material. Good Luck!

In an effort to consolidate the "What Are My Chances?" (WAMC) threads and make a single place where pre-pods can request a review of their applications, this thread has been made.

Please make sure to include as much of the list below as possible so that others can give their most accurate opinion.

1. Schools you are applying to
2. cGPA/sGPA
3. MCAT Score
4. Podiatry Experience
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
6. Volunteering

Do keep a few things in mind when posting or responding.

1. The members writing a WAMC post are asking for your opinion on where they stand. As anyone who has been through applications knows, it is an expensive and stressful process so please be courteous.

2. Since we are making a single thread to keep WAMC posts in, all other WAMC posts are subject to being moved into this thread.

3. Please keep your posts on track with WAMC and responses to WAMC posts. Since the thread is a large collection of posts, let's not confuse it with off-topic posts.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=928668

See the above thread for the statistics of previously accepted classes. I'll spare you a comparison of your statistics to the rest.

You'll likely need the following:
(1) An improvement to your overall GPA which can be difficult.
(2) Solid evidence of an upward trend.
(3) An above average MCAT as a balance to your future GPA.
(4) You'll likely need to apply early, and broadly and interview repeatedly. You can likely expect a few schools to provide immediate rejections.

You don't have an MCAT so we really cannot tell. Your GPA is super low, so you need a high MCAT to offset that. Some schools might screen you out immediately for your GPA.

I really don't wanna be rude since I am one of the people that is asking if I am an acceptable candidate as well, but even at a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.16 sGPA I am freaking out.
But a 2.5 overall GPA and even a lower science GPA then you probably have to score in at least the 30s of the MCAT just to make it through to an interview in my mind. I am planning on graduating in the fall of 2013 as well and I know that the difficulty of most people's senior year is difficult. Tell you the truth but I would look at a plan that is not in medicine.

Personally, I would not want a doctor or dentist or anyone working on me that had a GPA of a 2.5. In my mind someone who has a cumulative GPA of a 2.5 through college shows that they were lazy and didn't care or went to a school that they had no part of being apart of.

Second question, what is your major? what classes have you taken? How many classes and which classes have you repeated?
You kinda give us one sentence to base your academics on.

Study for your MCAT!
Prep like you've never studied before in your life.
Earn a high score to counteract the GPA.
I have seen people get in with your GPA, but with HIGH MCAT score.
Good luck.

Checked out your MDapps, blog, and past posts. You seem to be trying to get into anywhere you can. Are you looking at podiatry as a backup plan because of the lower stats to get in? Or are you interested in the career? I would most definitely shadow before making any career choices; know what you're getting into. You're going to need to anyway if you want to apply. In all honestly; if you are applying pod just to get in somewhere, you are not going to be successful if accepted. Pod school is just as hard as med school, don't take it as a joke. Also agreeing with hughes2n; maybe another field is best for you. This is all speculation though, don't take it too hard; more explanation is needed on your end.

No like I said I have a lot of retakes. Started college when I was 18 and got a lot of Fs. Then gen chem kicked my ass for at least a whole calendar year. That is what brought my gpa down.

And yes I was pre-med first but after shadowing find I didn't like the field as much as I thought. Lot of doing nothing it seemed to me. So I shadowed a pod and liked the immediate relief they provided their patients but no one seems to k is much on how to advise me in it.

And yes I was pre-med first but after shadowing find I didn't like the field as much as I thought. Lot of doing nothing it seemed to me. So I shadowed a pod and liked the immediate relief they provided their patients but no one seems to k is much on how to advise me in it.

PM me.

2.5 gpa. Lower sci gpa. Haven't taken physics yet. Retook a lot of classes. URM. Texas A&M. Graduate next Dec. 2013.

It's impt. to note that your gpa will likely be lower once your grades are standardized through the application services. your gpa's on your transcript will not be your gpa's when you apply to pod school. In my school a 3.5 is a B+...pod is 3.3.

No like I said I have a lot of retakes. Started college when I was 18 and got a lot of Fs. Then gen chem kicked my ass for at least a whole calendar year. That is what brought my gpa down.

You are gonna have a bad time if gen chem kicked your ass (imagine the Ski instructor meme). Have you took organic chemistry yet?

I really don't wanna be rude since I am one of the people that is asking if I am an acceptable candidate as well, but even at a 3.25 cGPA and a 3.16 sGPA I am freaking out.
But a 2.5 overall GPA and even a lower science GPA then you probably have to score in at least the 30s of the MCAT just to make it through to an interview in my mind. I am planning on graduating in the fall of 2013 as well and I know that the difficulty of most people's senior year is difficult. Tell you the truth but I would look at a plan that is not in medicine.

Personally, I would not want a doctor or dentist or anyone working on me that had a GPA of a 2.5. In my mind someone who has a cumulative GPA of a 2.5 through college shows that they were lazy and didn't care or went to a school that they had no part of being apart of.

Second question, what is your major? what classes have you taken? How many classes and which classes have you repeated?
You kinda give us one sentence to base your academics on.

Same here I have very similar stats to this person above and I am also freaking out. Alot of these school have a 2.75 GPA cut off (looking at their websites). The GPA really has to pulled up. It's going to be difficult, and I don't want to be mean but I think with a 2.5 GPA you'll be screened out.

Same here I have very similar stats to this person above and I am also freaking out. Alot of these school have a 2.75 GPA cut off (looking at their websites). The GPA really has to pulled up. It's going to be difficult, and I don't want to be mean but I think with a 2.5 GPA you'll be screened out.

I disagree.
If you check out the DPM booklet that was released last year, there were some students who were accepted with a 2.5, granted they probably had a high MCAT score.

I disagree.
If you check out the DPM booklet that was released last year, there were some students who were accepted with a 2.5, granted they probably had a high MCAT score.

Even without looking at the booklet I'm sure there are people that got in with that GPA, however I think it's important to note that it's an exception and not the rule. I'm just saying that when I looked into each of the schools' website most of them said something in the lines of minimum gpa is 2.75 and the average gpa was a 3.2-3.3. It's true that an Mcat score can make up for a lower gpa but only up to a degree. Realistically speaking it's difficult to get a high Mcat score, I'm not saying it's impossible but just difficult.

Trust me I don't have a high gpa myself so I'm hoping that there's no screen off, but looking directly at these school's website can be quite discouraging...