This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You need a pod letter of rec

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, and you might even get accepted on the condition that you send in a pod letter. But ultimately you need one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.0
MCAT is embarrassing honestly... (retaking in march 14')
  • Worked full time all of undergrad sometimes surpassing 45 hours
  • Lots of extracurricular and organizations
  • Worked alongside a podiatrist for over a year (great LOR)
  • Published research in which I received authorship
  • Great LOR's overall with people I worked alongside in academia (not the traditional 'got an A! now give me a letter' prof)

Any volunteering? Your GPAs are fine, and with an MCAT above 22, you will most likely receive attention from larger programs.

Last edited:
Hello all.
My application is currently "verified" and I am wondering how my chances look for acceptances (I applied to all 9 schools).
My GPAs are -- Nonscience: 3.52, Science: 3.28, Overall GPA: 3.37
My mcat is 7/6/7 - 20.

Hopefully my mcat is ok and not too low! Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
1. Schools you are applying to: Temple (top choice), NYCPM, Scholl (possibly for the DPM/PhD program), and California School of Podiatric Medicine
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.67/3.56
3. MCAT Score: 21 (8PS/6VR/7BS)
4. Podiatry Experience: A bunch of shadowing and will have a LOR soon.
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): Healthcare volunteering/Shadowing numerous other medical specialties
6. Volunteering: A mix of clinical/non clinical volunteering

I'm set to retake the MCAT in May but would that be a wise decision given my current score? I technically took it when I wasn't even nearly ready, and I'm hoping to get scholarships of sorts.

What percentage of the seats are full right now (for the smaller schools)? I'm in the process of applying right now.

Hey guys,

I've been on track to go into the medical profession but the past month or so have come across podiatry. After shadowing an Aunt who is a podiatrist for 10+ hours, I could definitely see myself specializing for the foot/ankle and see podiatry school as a great opportunity. I'm currently a junior at a top 15 university have a pretty rigorous science/engineering major.

3.1 cGPA, 3.05 sGPA (C in 2nd sem. GenChem, a C+ in bio2/biochem, rest range from Bs to As)

24 MCAT (06 PS, 08 VR, 10 BS) I felt like I rushed taking my MCAT, took a prep class but only rigorously studied the last 3 weeks before my test

Good ECs:
-3 years as president of a sports club (from planning trips to competing in national tournaments, has been a huge part of my time).
-Residential Advisor (RA) another good leadership role and valuable interpersonal skills gained
-Student Associate for a year (volunteer position, guided a freshman floor)
-Involved with a year long research project thru my school's Medical School, designing solutions to physician problems, working with graduate and medical students
-Fraternity member, rush chair

I should have a couple of good LORs, I need to try and find a science prof. to write one though (it's hard in the 100+ student science classes). Am I able to get a LOR from an Aunt who's a podiatrist? I wouldn't think so, and I definitely want to get more hours in with other podiatrists in the next semester/summer anyways.
I've shadowed multiple podiatrists in a practice for 10-20 hours, and am working on getting more experience. I've also shadowed a family physician MD this past summer (30hrs.)

I'm currently debating retaking the MCAT and maybe retaking Gen Chem 2 (straight up C). But without doing that, what are my chances as of now with an early application to get into a podiatry school. My top choice currently is Scholl due to location, but I'm also interested in AZpod, DMU, Kent, and potentially others as well. Is there any chance of getting a scholarship at any of those? Thanks a lot for the help, happy holidays!

Last edited:
Didnt find out about podiatry until recently. Watched youtube videos of a few procedures (ingrown toenails, partial amputation, apligraf, diabetic ulcers, draining gouty tophi out of lesions, etc) and became really interested in the field. Will start shadowing a pod to watch actual procedures beginning in January (really looking forward to it!)
upward trend after years of terrible GPAs, and ended up wih a 3.2 and 4.0 in my last 40 hrs/2 semesters taking all upper level sciences. Brought both science and cGPA from 2.5-2.8. Poor GPA was due to a toxic relationship all through college and being too immature to know when to end it. Will be taking the MCAT this August to apply in September. I plan to start studying using SN2ed's plan in May! I know i have a sub 3.0 GPA but is it possibe for me to get accepted into either AZPOD or DMU? if so, around what mcat score will I need?I really like those schools so far because they have the same exact curriculum as the med school students. If I can't get into those 2, what other schools would I have a chance at? Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: 2 semesters of research
Set up to start volunteering at a hospital this january

Last edited:
Didnt find out about podiatry until recently. Watched youtube videos of a few procedures (ingrown toenails, partial amputation, apligraf, diabetic ulcers, draining gouty tophi out of lesions, etc) and became really interested in the field. Will start shadowing a pod to watch actual procedures beginning in January (really looking forward to it!)
upward trend after years of terrible GPAs, and ended up wih a 3.2 and 4.0 in my last 40 hrs/2 semesters taking all upper level sciences. Brought both science and cGPA from 2.5-2.8. Poor GPA was due to a toxic relationship all through college and being too immature to know when to end it. Will be taking the MCAT this August to apply in September. I plan to start studying using SN2ed's plan in May! I know i have a sub 3.0 GPA but is it possibe for me to get accepted into either AZPOD or DMU? if so, around what mcat score will I need?I really like those schools so far because they have the same exact curriculum as the med school students. If I can't get into those 2, what other schools would I have a chance at? Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: 2 semesters of research
Set up to start volunteering at a hospital this january
Being under 2.75 might get auto reject from AZ, DMU or a few others. I had a 2.9 and got into all but AZ and DMU (I did do really well on the MCAT). I would say aim to be north of 25 on the MCAT (try for 27+ to further solidfy your prospects, PS getting 27+is not that hard if you truly study and keep track of what parts of the test you are good at and which not so good). Just apply early as possible (getting interviews in by Dec is usually early enough as several schools said the flood comes in around feb and mar). If you can afford it, then I would apply to all 9, if anything else though between Kent, Temple, Scholl, and NYCPM one of them you will get the acceptance as they take the big classes.
Finally be prepared to explain the GPA without sounding like damaged goods. My GPA came up in interviews and I am sure yours as well. What happened is in the past, but just be aware it will probably be asked.

Being under 2.75 might get auto reject from AZ, DMU or a few others. I had a 2.9 and got into all but AZ and DMU (I did do really well on the MCAT). I would say aim to be north of 25 on the MCAT (try for 27+ to further solidfy your prospects, PS getting 27+is not that hard if you truly study and keep track of what parts of the test you are good at and which not so good). Just apply early as possible (getting interviews in by Dec is usually early enough as several schools said the flood comes in around feb and mar). If you can afford it, then I would apply to all 9, if anything else though between Kent, Temple, Scholl, and NYCPM one of them you will get the acceptance as they take the big classes.
Finally be prepared to explain the GPA without sounding like damaged goods. My GPA came up in interviews and I am sure yours as well. What happened is in the past, but just be aware it will probably be asked.

thank you so much! Maybe i should just say i was immature and leave it at that? Definitely don't want to seem like damaged goods lol

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much! Maybe i should just say i was immature and leave it at that? Definitely don't want to seem like damaged goods lol

I wouldn't leave the end of the question as "I was immature." I think perhaps when you get the question (which you definitely will), you might want to take an opportunity to re-emphasize your strengths in coming back with a strong upward trend.

A lot of pod students have been in your shoes before (ie Rushrhees and myself). I wouldn't automatically run away from DMU. During my year, I applied with a sub 2.8 cGPA (medical issues), but I went back and did a postbac (4.0) and did pretty well on my MCAT. I interviewed in March and even got a decent scholarship. Don't count yourself out. I know it's corny, but schools like to see growth over adversity.

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but plan your interviews in a way that perhaps you already have an acceptance under your belt? Some school interviews (like DMU) kind of put you on the spot by asking moral/ethical questions to you. If it were your first interview, you might be a nervous wreck (like I was).

I wouldn't leave the end of the question as "I was immature." I think perhaps when you get the question (which you definitely will), you might want to take an opportunity to re-emphasize your strengths in coming back with a strong upward trend.

A lot of pod students have been in your shoes before (ie Rushrhees and myself). I wouldn't automatically run away from DMU. During my year, I applied with a sub 2.8 cGPA (medical issues), but I went back and did a postbac (4.0) and did pretty well on my MCAT. I interviewed in March and even got a decent scholarship. Don't count yourself out. I know it's corny, but schools like to see growth over adversity.

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but plan your interviews in a way that perhaps you already have an acceptance under your belt? Some school interviews (like DMU) kind of put you on the spot by asking moral/ethical questions to you. If it were your first interview, you might be a nervous wreck (like I was).

I was actually thinking of doing that, I was gonna plan an interview with the schools that are in locations that I know I would never want to live in first and save my top 3 for last. But that's awesome that you were able to get a scholarship to DMU, congrats! Thats really encouraging to hear since thats one of my favs. Hopefully I'll do as well as I plan on doing on the MCAT in August so I can get accepted too.

So anyone know if the UNE online postbacc courses are acceptable?

While I admit that was a factor for me, I would not reccommend saying that as it belittles yourself and minimizes a redflag that your interviewer wants to be addressed. I basically stated my time mgmt and prioritization skills were not up to par, but my postbacc and MCAT scores while having a successful first career shows I overcame that. The low grades is not a deal breaker, but do not pretend it is not on your transcript or think the interviewer will just overlook that. Think of some reason to show why the grades were not but, but more importantly think of why it is something you overcome. I would recommend practicing a good response to that question as it will come up.
@Telekinesis the online should be fine, but you will probably need to get the lab portions in somewhere

I'm finishing my senior year at Oregon State University with a major in General Science, Pre-Podiatry, and a minor in Chemistry. I have a letter from 1 science teacher so far, working on the 2nd, and a letter from a podiatrist. Applying as soon as I can!! Hoping MCAT scores are decent enough, but kinda worried (I only had a month to study for it due to a heavy course load Fall 2013).

Schools you are applying to: AZPod, Kent, Western, and Samuel Merritt (not too keen on Merritt...)
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.21 cGPA/3.25 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: Taking it on 1/23/14!! (practice scores were a 19 and 22, so kinda nervous)
4. Podiatry Experience: 20 hours with 5 different podiatrists (including a 7 hour surgery shadow, which was amazing)
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): None
6. Volunteering: 2+ years working with a Science Outreach program for kids, 9 months volunteering at the hospital (coffee cart to patients rooms)

I have a feeling that it is really late in the application year and the April 1st deadline is really for exceptional students/scores. I'm VERY excited about a career in podiatry, but I realize I'm pretty average and the application year is closing soon... I really would like to apply this year and see what happens though. Do I have a shot this year? Or does the next application year look more promising for me? I DO have a plan if I don't get in this year, I'm just anxious...

I'm finishing my senior year at Oregon State University with a major in General Science, Pre-Podiatry, and a minor in Chemistry. I have a letter from 1 science teacher so far, working on the 2nd, and a letter from a podiatrist. Applying as soon as I can!! Hoping MCAT scores are decent enough, but kinda worried (I only had a month to study for it due to a heavy course load Fall 2013).

Schools you are applying to: AZPod, Kent, Western, and Samuel Merritt (not too keen on Merritt...)
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.21 cGPA/3.25 sGPA
3. MCAT Score: Taking it on 1/23/14!! (practice scores were a 19 and 22, so kinda nervous)
4. Podiatry Experience: 20 hours with 5 different podiatrists (including a 7 hour surgery shadow, which was amazing)
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): None
6. Volunteering: 2+ years working with a Science Outreach program for kids, 9 months volunteering at the hospital (coffee cart to patients rooms)

I have a feeling that it is really late in the application year and the April 1st deadline is really for exceptional students/scores. I'm VERY excited about a career in podiatry, but I realize I'm pretty average and the application year is closing soon... I really would like to apply this year and see what happens though. Do I have a shot this year? Or does the next application year look more promising for me? I DO have a plan if I don't get in this year, I'm just anxious...

You will be fine. Score a 20+ and you'll get in to most of the schools (AZPod may be a stretch). If you score 23+ you'll be fine and could have scholarship money. I got in with almost the same GPA and a 21 MCAT. Don't worry. You have time. Just be prepared for interviews.

3.38 cumulative GPA, 3.91 Science GPA, 23 MCAT score, lor from two science professors as well as a lor from my school's premed committee, no lor from podiatrist (nor any podiatry shadowing). Do I have a chance without a lor from a DPM? Thanks

3.38 cumulative GPA, 3.91 Science GPA, 23 MCAT score, lor from two science professors as well as a lor from my school's premed committee, no lor from podiatrist (nor any podiatry shadowing). Do I have a chance without a lor from a DPM? Thanks

You can't possibly be serious? Go get a pod LOR. How do you know that you want to be a podiatrist without having shadowed? Cold call a local podiatrist, shadow a few times, ask for LOR, profit. End of discussion.

Hello Everybody

I am a senior this year in undergrad planning on applying to DO schools and Pod schools next year (want to do orthopedics, sports med with and foot and ankle stuff) and was wanting to know my chances at getting into a Pod school somewhere

GPA: 3.4c, 3.0 science.

Mcat: Haven't taken it yet. I suspect a score around a 26 or so. What should I score on it to be "in the running"?

ECs: Very good, lots of clinical experiences. Even a pending publication!

Where should I apply and what schools are the better ones to apply to?

Hello Everybody

I am a senior this year in undergrad planning on applying to DO schools and Pod schools next year (want to do orthopedics, sports med with and foot and ankle stuff) and was wanting to know my chances at getting into a Pod school somewhere

GPA: 3.4c, 3.0 science.

Mcat: Haven't taken it yet. I suspect a score around a 26 or so. What should I score on it to be "in the running"?

ECs: Very good, lots of clinical experiences. Even a pending publication!

Where should I apply and what schools are the better ones to apply to?

For DO schools, your science GPA is low. You will need to kill the MCAT (27+) and apply broadly in order to matriculate.
One thing to keep in mind is that AACOMAS (DO) does grade replacement. So if your sgpa is low due to low grades in a few courses, you could retake those courses and really improve your sgpa by completely eliminating your prior low grades.

Although AACPMAS (DPM) does not do grade replacement, your cgpa is Great, your sgpa is good. Score a 22+ on the MCAT and you will get accepted practically everywhere. Score a 25+ and you will received some scholarships. The higher you score on it, the greater your scholarships will be.

You can't possibly be serious? Go get a pod LOR. How do you know that you want to be a podiatrist without having shadowed? Cold call a local podiatrist, shadow a few times, ask for LOR, profit. End of discussion.

Haha, I guess that is a bit ignorant on my part.

For DO schools, your science GPA is low. You will need to kill the MCAT (27+) and apply broadly in order to matriculate.
One thing to keep in mind is that AACOMAS (DO) does grade replacement. So if your sgpa is low due to low grades in a few courses, you could retake those courses and really improve your sgpa by completely eliminating your prior low grades.

Although AACPMAS (DPM) does not do grade replacement, your cgpa is Great, your sgpa is good. Score a 22+ on the MCAT and you will get accepted practically everywhere. Score a 25+ and you will received some scholarships. The higher you score on it, the greater your scholarships will be.

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, it is kind of awesome that osteopathic schools give you that opportunity.

At what point what a science or cumulative GPA be considered too low for podiatry schools? Similarly, what about mcat? And what happens if you take the MCAT multiple times? Did he take the highest grades, the lowest score, the most recent, where a combination or average of the two?

So, I took the MCAT yesterday morning and I'm in the "WHY WON'T THEY JUST GIVE ME THE SCORE??!" phase of waiting. I have a true dilemma: in all honesty, I have absolutely NO idea how I did on it and I have to start thinking about if I'm signing up to retake it in either March or April. I REALLY want to submit my application by the April 1st deadline--also, is that truly the priority deadline, or am I mistaken and it is JUST June 30th?--but I'm uncertain what to do regarding my scores.

I suppose I could wait until I receive my score (around Feb. 25th), sign up accordingly for the MCAT and list on my application that I'm planning on taking it...but I'm at a loss.

In general:

1. How important is the April 1st deadline compared to the June 30th?
2. Do schools view you application without your MCAT or do they wait until they receive it (and other documents)?
3. Is it a bad idea to send my application without knowing my score on this test?
4. Is it a good idea to wait for my score (Feb. 25th) to schedule another test if necessary? OR should I be thinking about scheduling the test now?
5. Advice???

I know most everyone goes through this, but I'd appreciate some insight if you have any... Thank in advance.

So, I took the MCAT yesterday morning and I'm in the "WHY WON'T THEY JUST GIVE ME THE SCORE??!" phase of waiting. I have a true dilemma: in all honesty, I have absolutely NO idea how I did on it and I have to start thinking about if I'm signing up to retake it in either March or April. I REALLY want to submit my application by the April 1st deadline--also, is that truly the priority deadline, or am I mistaken and it is JUST June 30th?--but I'm uncertain what to do regarding my scores.

I suppose I could wait until I receive my score (around Feb. 25th), sign up accordingly for the MCAT and list on my application that I'm planning on taking it...but I'm at a loss.

In general:

1. How important is the April 1st deadline compared to the June 30th?
2. Do schools view you application without your MCAT or do they wait until they receive it (and other documents)?
3. Is it a bad idea to send my application without knowing my score on this test?
4. Is it a good idea to wait for my score (Feb. 25th) to schedule another test if necessary? OR should I be thinking about scheduling the test now?
5. Advice???

I know most everyone goes through this, but I'd appreciate some insight if you have any... Thank in advance.

I'm in the same boat. Just took the MCAT today and have no clue how I did. My practice scores have not been very high (19-21). I was going to submit my app soon after I take the exam, but now I'm not so sure. My sGPA/cGPA: 3.66/3.6. Schools I'm planning on applying to: DMU, Western, and CSPM.

I'm in the same boat. Just took the MCAT today and have no clue how I did. My practice scores have not been very high (19-21). I was going to submit my app soon after I take the exam, but now I'm not so sure. My sGPA/cGPA: 3.66/3.6. Schools I'm planning on applying to: DMU, Western, and CSPM.

Yeah, my practice scores were 19-22 and my sGPA/cGPA is 3.21/3.25. I'm thinking about applying to all expect NY and Barry. Are you going to retake the MCAT?? I'm thinking about waiting for my score before signing up for it again...

I think I'm still gonna apply and just hope that my GPA will stand out. I'm not so sure if I want to retake that beast again...

I received 8 interviews with a 3.52 nonscience and 3.28 science gpa with a 20 mcat. I interviewed at kent and nycpm and got into both so far. you guys are fine if you apply ASAP

If you have above a 3.3 GPA
Above a 23 MCAT
And multiple hours shadowing podiatrists you are definitely in.

So this is another cliche "what are my chances thread?" . I have yet to take my MCAT so I fully realize that any advice would only be half hearted.

My predicament: I am already accepted into a CLS program for this coming summer (Clinical Lab Science) at a local university, but I don't really want to be a Med Tech the rest of my life. I have worked in a lab for 2 years as an assistant.

My degree: Unified Science (GPA 3.9 something? in major) Science is 4.0. I have had all pre reqs except for biochemistry which I am taking next semester.

Other Stuff?: I have been involved in lots of charity stuff (organized MS walk 2 years). Led my social fraternity in scholarship chair. Reading with kids, sports, paintball, blah blah, lots of other stuff...

The thing that makes me nervous: I was also accepted into a RN program a couple of years ago which I completed a semester of (Pharmacology, pathophysiology, health assessment, and such). I switched out because I hated the profession (Mostly because it was care-based not diagnostic).

My question: What is your opinion? Does the lack of commitment to the RN program make me undesirable to the podiatry program? Would you go ahead and go into CLS even though it is a short-term job or post-pone and attempt to apply for podiatry for 2015?
I make enough to support myself in the lab and would love to shadow more podiatrists and take more classes like histology and virology, but if I don't get in (here comes the fear) to the podiatry school I have wasted a year in which I could be done with CLS school and making low 50's a year while I try again.

I work very closely with MD's and shadowed MD's and DO's and I realize I DO NOT want to be one (Long hours, etc..) I really enjoyed podiatry medicine but am also concerned with job aspects and residency after school.

Thanks for reading my book and thank you for helping future podiatrists whom once held your doubts and fears of the future!

I wouldn't worry too much about the residency shortage. I've done countless interrogating of many different people in the field and everyone seems to have the same outlook; residencies will go up. Not to mention residency shortage is something all professional medical fields deal with.

As for the job aspects you'll most likely end up working for a medical center or hospital. This is still debatable as we don't know exactly how Obamacare will affect the industry yet, but private practices look like they will be hit a little harder. I'm not saying you can't or won't have a private practice, they are just getting hit harder.

I don't know a lot about CLS, so I can't say much about it. But, while podiatry does plenty of diagnostic medicine, you will still be doing a TON of wound care. If you have shadowed a podiatrist and like what you saw I can tell you that your GPA is much higher than the average. As long as you stick around 22-23 range for the MCAT and have the volunteer hours, you will definitely get in somewhere.

It ultimately comes down to what you want. If you want to go into CLS and job shadow some more podiatrists in the mean time, then do it. If you feel like you've seen enough of the field to know you want to practice it for the rest of your life, then start working on admittance. You've told us you have the grades and it sounds like you have some decent extracurricular work. As long as you end up with a decent MCAT, have some solid shadow experience (with a LOR from a DPM), and some volunteer hours you will be fine to get in.

So this is another cliche "what are my chances thread?" . I have yet to take my MCAT so I fully realize that any advice would only be half hearted.

My predicament: I am already accepted into a CLS program for this coming summer (Clinical Lab Science) at a local university, but I don't really want to be a Med Tech the rest of my life. I have worked in a lab for 2 years as an assistant.

My degree: Unified Science (GPA 3.9 something? in major) Science is 4.0. I have had all pre reqs except for biochemistry which I am taking next semester.

Other Stuff?: I have been involved in lots of charity stuff (organized MS walk 2 years). Led my social fraternity in scholarship chair. Reading with kids, sports, paintball, blah blah, lots of other stuff...

The thing that makes me nervous: I was also accepted into a RN program a couple of years ago which I completed a semester of (Pharmacology, pathophysiology, health assessment, and such). I switched out because I hated the profession (Mostly because it was care-based not diagnostic).

My question: What is your opinion? Does the lack of commitment to the RN program make me undesirable to the podiatry program? Would you go ahead and go into CLS even though it is a short-term job or post-pone and attempt to apply for podiatry for 2015?
I make enough to support myself in the lab and would love to shadow more podiatrists and take more classes like histology and virology, but if I don't get in (here comes the fear) to the podiatry school I have wasted a year in which I could be done with CLS school and making low 50's a year while I try again.

I work very closely with MD's and shadowed MD's and DO's and I realize I DO NOT want to be one (Long hours, etc..) I really enjoyed podiatry medicine but am also concerned with job aspects and residency after school.

Thanks for reading my book and thank you for helping future podiatrists whom once held your doubts and fears of the future!

Don't fret admission. Your GPA is well above the national mean, and with a MCAT >21, you will be fine. However, you definitely should shadow to make the decision easier. After shadowing, I can tell you that much of podiatry entails procedures, and in fact, is a little short on the actual diagnostics aspect of medicine.

If you don't want to go the MD/DO route because of long hours, how will you handle the long hours of residency? To make the best of podiatry, and ultimately reap the benefits of 4+ years of education, at some point in your career you will need to put in 'long hours'.

Yeah not to go on a rant here but if anyone is going into podiatry to avoid "long hours," save your money and don't go into medicine in any capacity.

Yep the days of the 40 hr work week are over. 50-60 is a slow week nowadays

Everyone seemed to focus on my "Long Hours" statement (which was just something I typed in there without much thought). I don't consider 50-70 hours a week long hours, most people I know work this much, hell I work this much. In truth, there are many reasons why I would not go into MD or DO school, the least of which is the long hours, the main reason is that I simply not interested like POD.

I realize that some Pre-Pod student saying he would like to avoid "Long Hours" is completely ridiculous and I totally agree. It was beyond stupid for me to type something that I didn't mean. I work full time and go to school full time, I'm not afraid of long hours. I suppose I simply meant that at some point I would like to have a life outside of a hospital or clinic.

Thank you all for your responses.

BTW How much did you guys study for the MCAT?

As far as the MCAT goes, I'm halfway through a 4 month study block averaging about 5-6 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

Hey guys I applied with a 2.87 sgpa and 3.17 cgpa. The only low is my chem 2 class which I got a C- in. What are my chances ?

Hey guys I applied with a 2.87 sgpa and 3.17 cgpa. The only low is my chem 2 class which I got a C- in. What are my chances ?
Not sure if you'll need to retake chem 2 because of the C-. I would call and check. Do you have an MCAT or prospective MCAT score?

Not sure if you'll need to retake chem 2 because of the C-. I would call and check. Do you have an MCAT or prospective MCAT score?

I would definitely check this out as well because most of the schools I interviewed at mentioned at one time or another that C was the minimal grade they accepted. As far as your sGPA it is slightly below average, but not by much at all; ideally you want a sGPA around 3.0. We need to hear about your MCAT, volunteer hours, jobs, extracurriculars, shadowing experience, etc. If you have good volunteer hours, extracurriculars, and MCAT you will be fine though!

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that breaks down averages for each school, you will be able to look and see which ranges you fall into.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/att...-break-down-2012-as-per-pktgresch-xlsx.21886/

I graduate in May with my bachelors degree. I a played lacrosse all 4 years and unfortunately my GPA suffered. It has improved but, it's still on the low side. I took the MCAT without a prep course. I submitted my podiatry app last week. I know that I am a borderline applicant but, am hoping to get to the interview stage. What do you guys think?

1. Applying to all 9 schools
2. c3.0/s2.85
3. MCAT 20
4. Over 100 hours shadowing 2 different Podiatrists
5. 2 years working part time as EMT
6. More than 500 hours volunteering with habitat and hospice
7. Very strong letters of rec - 2 from Pods and 2 from profs.

I graduate in May with my bachelors degree. I a played lacrosse all 4 years and unfortunately my GPA suffered. It has improved but, it's still on the low side. I took the MCAT without a prep course. I submitted my podiatry app last week. I know that I am a borderline applicant but, am hoping to get to the interview stage. What do you guys think?

1. Applying to all 9 schools
2. c3.0/s2.85
3. MCAT 20
4. Over 100 hours shadowing 2 different Podiatrists
5. 2 years working part time as EMT
6. More than 500 hours volunteering with habitat and hospice
7. Very strong letters of rec - 2 from Pods and 2 from profs.

Great experience, that's a plus. GPA and MCAT combination is a little low, but definitely within the limits for most schools, though DMU and AZPod are pretty competitive. Based on the general info going around, looks like you'll be fine. Higher MCAT would get you more $ though. Great job, however, it looks good to be a well rounded applicant. :)

If you are applying to all 9 schools then you haven't done your homework. The schools are all very different and are located across the country in different regions with different weather, different culture and people, different neighborhoods/lifestyles and different costs of living. I'm very skeptical of anyone who says they have no preference between living in New York City, a suburb of Des Moines, and California.

If you are applying to all 9 schools then you haven't done your homework. The schools are all very different and are located across the country in different regions with different weather, different culture and people, different neighborhoods/lifestyles and different costs of living. I'm very skeptical of anyone who says they have no preference between living in New York City, a suburb of Des Moines, and California.

I tend to agree with this, but I also understand the idea of broadening your chances. Sure, I wouldn't particularly want to live in NY or Fl, but what if you don't have a problem with the other 7? I think those that apply to all the schools are really just focusing on getting in SOMEWHERE and researching along the way. Sure, that's not how I would go about it, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

@Prepodman, I hope you a least have a preference between the schools and have done your research. You don't want to get stuck somewhere in the US that you'll end up hating just because you got in to that school first. Be honest with yourself and go not just where you get in, but where you will be comfortable living for the next few years of your life. It's a big commitment.

@heybrother, what school are you at?? How is the location??

@rosieisaposie and @heybrother...thanks for the feedback and your comments. Yes, I've checked out the schools and definitely have a preference but, I'm a realist; my stats aren't great. I hope to have the luxury of deciding between my top choices.

Reactions: 2 users
What are my chances of acceptance? Scholarships?

Still deciding on schools....
2. overall GPA 3.48, sci is about ~3.3
3. MCAT Score: practice test have been ~23
4. Podiatry Experience: Multiple surgical and clinic days with podiatrist.
5. Shadowed trauma, ER, radiology, GI, ICU, and general surgeons
6. Volunteering: Pediatric oncology
7. Research: work at major research medical school in a lab full time

What are my chances of acceptance? Scholarships?

Still deciding on schools....
2. overall GPA 3.48, sci is about ~3.3
3. MCAT Score: practice test have been ~23
4. Podiatry Experience: Multiple surgical and clinic days with podiatrist.
5. Shadowed trauma, ER, radiology, GI, ICU, and general surgeons
6. Volunteering: Pediatric oncology
7. Research: work at major research medical school in a lab full time

Your stats look just right. If you get that score on the MCAT should get you some sort of scholarship. Everyone has been telling me that if stats are good, then apply and make sure you're ready for interviews (Western has a small written portion of their interview, or so I'm told--not sure about which others). Good luck!