This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. 3.0/ 3.2 (sGPA/cGPA) (lots of C's and A's not many B's which makes the GPA look worse broken down)
2. 27 MCAT (10v, 9chem, 8bio)
3. EC: 1000+ hrs (ER volunteer, mission trips abroad, campus leaderships role)
4. Shadowing: 100hrs (MD), 20hrs (DO), Working on DPM right now
5. 1 year research and hopefully a publication in a few months

I am hoping to apply this August for the 2015 cycle and aiming for one of the cali schools or AZPOPD since I'm from AZ originally. Just wondering what you all think, and will having Pod shadowing so late on my resume hurt me?

Thanks Everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Looks pretty good. You'll get an interview to AT LEAST one of the three.

No, shadowing a DPM so late will not hurt you.

Hey guys any constructive input is much appreciated.

I am planning to apply soon after the application opens up (8 schools). One of my top choices is CSPM (What are my chances?)

cGPA (AACPMAS calculation): 3.51
sGPA (AACPMAS calculation): 3.35
MCAT: 25

I have around 35 hours of podiatry experience. I worked as a Gen Chem lab assistant for a year. 50 hours of volunteering at a hospital etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are looking good for CSPM. Though you have a lower MCAT your cGPA makes up for it.

Hey guys any constructive input is much appreciated.

I am planning to apply soon after the application opens up (8 schools). One of my top choices is CSPM (What are my chances?)

cGPA (AACPMAS calculation): 3.51
sGPA (AACPMAS calculation): 3.35
MCAT: 20 (I realize this is pretty low)

I have around 35 hours of podiatry experience. I worked as a Gen Chem lab assistant for a year. 50 hours of volunteering at a hospital etc.

You will definitely receive an interview offer from CSPM, but if you don't raise your MCAT, you will not be up for any merit based scholarships.

Alright thanks guys for the input. I figured I need a higher MCAT score for competitive scholarship opportunities.

Hey everybody, I was wondering if my stats will get me any scholarship money?
I'm only applying to DMU, AZPOD, Scholl, and Western
cGPA-3.510 sGPA-3.403
MCAT-23
EC's- 100+ hours volunteering at the hospital, certified in phlebotomy, member of the pre-med club at my school, served a mission for two years, 10 hours shadowing MDs and DOs, 50 hours shadowing podiatrists
I know my ECs aren't super strong but I don't really have time to do much else!

Yes. You will get better offers form schools with a larger alumni. Western and AZPOD probably won't be able to give you much.

Reactions: 1 user
If you apply with those stats I would think you would get an invite from at least one of the schools.

Reactions: 1 users
APPLYING TO: NYCPM, DMU, Temple, Scholl, CSPM, Western, Barry (in order of preference)
1. 3.23/ 3.41 (sGPA/cGPA) (bad first semester but upward trend)
2. 23 MCAT (7verb, 8chem, 8bio)
3. EC: Work at hospital call center, previous on-campus job as well; founder/co-president of club on campus, member of different clubs, TONS of volunteer work in hospitals
4. Shadowing: DPM (40 hours)
5. Clinical Research looking at communication b/t PCP and hospitalists and the effect on cost and patient care in a major Chicago hospital

You're good.

You could save some money and apply to your top few schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're good.

You could save some money and apply to your top few schools.

I was planning on only applying to a few but ended up applying to more, mostly because as far as I've seen it's hard to pick your top until you go and see what fits for you. My ranking is just based on what I've been reading thus far but will most likely change. Thanks for your input!

Does anyone know if I submitted my AACPMAS app the day it opened (8/6) how long until I should expect II's?

Applying to all schools (which would be your recomendation with my stats also)
3.0 sGPA/3.3CGPAmA (possibly more if grade replacement)
18 MCAT (7bs,6v,5ps)
EC: 500+ hours of direct patient contact, tons of volunteer work
POD shadowing: 50 hours

Last edited:
I was planning on only applying to a few but ended up applying to more, mostly because as far as I've seen it's hard to pick your top until you go and see what fits for you. My ranking is just based on what I've been reading thus far but will most likely change. Thanks for your input!

Does anyone know if I submitted my AACPMAS app the day it opened (8/6) how long until I should expect II's?

This year is a little different than in years past. In years past applications were sent from AACPMAS to schools once every week. This year it is live. We an app is completed and verified by AACPMAS it is automatically sent to the schools. That means that the timing is really up to the schools. Since it has been a week there are probably a lot of apps that have been sent to the schools but the schools haven't reviewed them or setup all the interview dates. Just hold on for a little while longer.

Applying to all schools (which would be your recomendation with my stats also)
3.0 sGPA/3.3CGPAmA (possibly more if grade replacement)
18 MCAT (7bs,6v,5ps)
EC: 500+ hours of direct patient contact, tons of volunteer work
POD shadowing: 50 hours

Not looking good.

You might get into a school with a large class size but you need to consider if you will be successful in pod school. The curriculum is difficult. You don't want spend a ton of money to end up just getting by your first two years then failing boards.

This year is a little different than in years past. In years past applications were sent from AACPMAS to schools once every week. This year it is live. We an app is completed and verified by AACPMAS it is automatically sent to the schools. That means that the timing is really up to the schools. Since it has been a week there are probably a lot of apps that have been sent to the schools but the schools haven't reviewed them or setup all the interview dates. Just hold on for a little while longer.

Interesting--I'm trying hard to be patient haha I just wish I had something occupying my time! I was wondering if I will get interview invites before all my letters are in. I had one letter from my Anatomy prof sent already but my DPM letter and other science faculty letter should be done by mid September. Also, I see you go (or went?) to CSPM--how do you like it there? I'm mainly concerned about matching to a residency and how is the campus/area and community clinic opportunities? Do you know if they have any opportunities for global health clinics for rotations?

I am applying to some MD programs and some DPM programs with future plans to go into orthopedic surgery.
The DPM programs I am applying to are AZPod, NYCPM, California, and Scholl.
cGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 36
No Podiatry experience yet besides my personal experience with a torn achilles and repair surgery.
10 MD/PhD shadowing hours
~50 hospital volunteer hours
~40 community volunteer hours
~1200 hours paid work in a hospital
LORs from research PI, work supervisor, and leadership mentor

I am planning on shadowing a DPM several times in the next couple weeks. Is this enough podiatry experience or should I shoot for more shadowing/a LOR from a DPM before applying? With these considerations what are my chances if I am applying by mid-september?

Also should I wait longer to apply in favor of getting more Podiatry experience or should I apply earlier with very little Podiatry experience?

Thanks for the advice!

I am applying to some MD programs and some DPM programs with future plans to go into orthopedic surgery.
The DPM programs I am applying to are AZPod, NYCPM, California, and Scholl.
cGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 36
No Podiatry experience yet besides my personal experience with a torn achilles and repair surgery.
10 MD/PhD shadowing hours
~50 hospital volunteer hours
~40 community volunteer hours
~1200 hours paid work in a hospital
LORs from research PI, work supervisor, and leadership mentor

I am planning on shadowing a DPM several times in the next couple weeks. Is this enough podiatry experience or should I shoot for more shadowing/a LOR from a DPM before applying? With these considerations what are my chances if I am applying by mid-september?

Also should I wait longer to apply in favor of getting more Podiatry experience or should I apply earlier with very little Podiatry experience?

Thanks for the advice!
You should apply after the next few weeks of shadowing. But I would suggest that you continue to shadow so that you are completely sure about choosing podiatry as your career.

Your grades and scores will get you into EVERY podiatry school, but at the same time you NEED a podiatrists LOR. Don't expect a podiatrist to write a recommendation for you after three shadowing experiences. And don't expect that recommendation to come quickly. Your grades and MCAT will get you in even if you apply in January, so really there is no rush at all. If you rush the podiatrist and keep reminding him/her that doctor may not see the importance as compared to you and end up writing you a pointless LOR. My point being, don't rush it because your grades and MCAT are good enough to get into all 9 schools.

With your grades the main question you will be asked in any podiatry school interview will be "Why podiatry and not DO/MD?" and for the "and not DO/MD" part you may have to just tell a white lie if your main choice would be MD or DO if you got accepted to all three (DO,MD,DPM) programs.

Hey guys, i've posted around these parts before, but i was just wondering if i could get some opinions about my situation:
cGPA: 2.73
sGPA: 2.77
MCAT: Writing it in November.
I'm heading into my 4th year, with 11 more courses (mostly 2nd year level) left to graduate. The horrendous gpa is a result of 5 fails during my 1st year. (shameful..i know)
Am i completely screwed or must i start looking for a SMP/Post-bacc? I'm a Canadian applicant as well, so i'm assuming i probably need to have better than average stats to get in. I'm trying to take things one at a time and focus on just getting good grades and try to rock the MCAT, but assuming everything goes well, i think my gpa's are gonna end up just shy of 3.0 before i graduate.
In terms of EC's, i have ~100 volunteer hours at a hospital, i've been teaching high school kids part time at a learning center for about 5 years now. I've shadowed a DPM and a MD already and got LORs from both of them. Again, nothing really screams "wow" about my EC's either.

Any opinions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you!

Study like hell and get a decent MCAT score, then apply to all the schools with larger class sizes. Good luck

What are your chances for pod school?

If you have a pulse and a checkbook, you're in.

What are your chances for pod school?

If you have a pulse and a checkbook, you're in.

You have made a few non-constructive posts. You are trying to say how it is but you must also add that if a student doesn't make it through a grad program it is the fault of that student. You can't pin the faults of a student on a program. Every school has the tools to educate students and that's why they have accreditation.

Education costs money and that's part of the game. It also comes with another price which is a combination of dedication, hard work, and making correct decisions. There are many students every year that drop out of grad programs because they didn't make a correct decision about the program they attend. Whether it be OT, DPT, DPM, DO, MD, etc. there are people that just aren't able to keep up with the materials even though they had success in their previous education.

When pro-pods ask what their chances are on this thread I think it is important for those of us who see red flags to point them out (private messages). This way we can give them a heads up that it is going to be hard work. I have seen a few people that didn't have a successful undergrad have a very successful pod school experience but that is because they got advice about what to change and then applied that advice to their education.

Hey guys so I've been a long time lurker and was hoping to get some feedback on my situation. Thank you!
My dilemma is that I am planning on taking my MCATs in Oct. so my scores won't be released until November. Would this hurt my chances of getting in because of the lateness of my app? I have a fairly low gpa to begin with so I am really trying to do the best I can on the MCATs to improve my chances. I just don't want to fall behind in terms of time.
1. Applying to All
2. 3.1/2.87
3. Planning on taking in October, aiming for over 26 at the very least.
4. 40 hours of shadowing DPM
5. 80 hours of non-science research and 100 hours of volunteering in a medical setting
6. Extracurriculars are pretty good. Involved on campus throughout my years in college
Thanks so much for your feedback in advance!

Hey guys so I've been a long time lurker and was hoping to get some feedback on my situation. Thank you!
My dilemma is that I am planning on taking my MCATs in Oct. so my scores won't be released until November. Would this hurt my chances of getting in because of the lateness of my app? I have a fairly low gpa to begin with so I am really trying to do the best I can on the MCATs to improve my chances. I just don't want to fall behind in terms of time.
1. Applying to All
2. 3.1/2.87
3. Planning on taking in October, aiming for over 26 at the very least.
4. 40 hours of shadowing DPM
5. 80 hours of non-science research and 100 hours of volunteering in a medical setting
6. Extracurriculars are pretty good. Involved on campus throughout my years in college
Thanks so much for your feedback in advance!

Your stats don't look too bad for the big schools. IMO, you shouldn't apply to all the schools because that's a waste of money. More than likely, you will get interview invites from all, maybe except AZPOD and Western. Even still, if you get the MCAT score you are shooting for, you'll probably get invited to those, too. So my advice is to rock that MCAT and think about narrowing down to maybe 4 schools. Traveling to all of 9 schools is going to cost a lot of money and you need to save as much of it as you can because tuition is expensive.

As far as taking the MCAT in October, you will be fine. I think as long as you apply before Christmas, you'll still be considered "early". The MD/DO applicants don't generally flood the DPM schools until after that. So just buckle up and study hard. You will be just fine. Best of luck to you.

Hello everyone, could you chance me please?

3.1/ 3.0 (sgpa, cgpa), 29 mcat (12p, 7v, 10b)
-40+ hours of podiatric shadowing
-2 science publications
-started a healthcare reform organization
-1000~ hours of volunteer exp
-leadership exp in pre-med org
-leadership exp in third world country outreach
-camp counselor

I'm applying to
samuel merrit
western in ca
Arizona

what other schools do you guys suggest?

-2 science publications
-camp counselor

I'm applying to
samuel merrit
western in ca
Arizona

you have high chances of not only receiving an acceptance but a hefty scholarship as well. Congrats on your stellar app! I suggest NYCPM and Scholl (Chicago) in addition to the three on your list. I don't recommend Barry due to bad reviews.

-2 science publications
-camp counselor

I'm applying to
samuel merrit
western in ca
Arizona

All the schools you listed have small class sizes. I've noticed AZPOD and Western have been very picky and your lower GPA may not be up to par with their avg. But I think you'll still get interviews at all the schools you've listed.

Am I correct to assume you want a school with smaller class sizes? If so, I would add DMU and Barry to the list. (Barry, for some reason, has been getting a bad rep on SDN, but I heard from a 4th yr DMU student rotating out of the hospital I was shadowing at the time that he met a Barry student from his last rotation and he was blown away by his vast knowledge and skillset). Just something to think about.

All the schools you listed have small class sizes. I've noticed AZPOD and Western have been very picky and your lower GPA may not be up to par with their avg. But I think you'll still get interviews at all the schools you've listed.

Am I correct to assume you want a school with smaller class sizes? If so, I would add DMU and Barry to the list. (Barry, for some reason, has been getting a bad rep on SDN, but I heard from a 4th yr DMU student rotating out of the hospital I was shadowing at the time that he met a Barry student from his last rotation and he was blown away by his vast knowledge and skillset). Just something to think about.
Yea, I graduated from a university with 24,000+ students, with 300+ ppl in squeezed in a single classroom at times
I'm ready for class with smaller size. Thanks for the suggestions!! :]

Yea, I graduated from a university with 24,000+ students, with 300+ ppl in squeezed in a single classroom at times

ASU?

nope, haha. good guess though

On the side note...
on top of your head, do you know which podiatric school is known for having pretty ladies?
I know that there are a lot of gorgeous girls at arizona and LA, anywhere else?

On the side note...
on top of your head, do you know which podiatric school is known for having pretty ladies?

I've been to the AZPOD campus and I can confirm that there are a ton of hot babes over there. As for the rest, I'm sorry but I don't know.

On the side note...
Wow... that's pretty inappropriate...
I would say go check it out yourself?

Although the class sizes are small for AZPOD, Western, and DMU, you still have to take classes with the DOs and other programs. IE. all the first year courses at DMU (with the exception of Pod Med) is taken with first year DOs and some with MS students as well, so our lectures have 300 students...

lol maybe podzilla is a gay man so he doesn't notice the hot ladies in his pod school, lololol. Just messing with you podzilla. Come on buddy, lighten up. Wouldn't you want to meet your future wife in pod school?

Although the class sizes are small for AZPOD, Western, and DMU, you still have to take classes with the DOs and other programs. IE. all the first year courses at DMU (with the exception of Pod Med) is taken with first year DOs and some with MS students as well, so our lectures have 300 students...
wow, thanks for the heads up. Because I was totally expecting having a small class size throughout podiatry school.

On top of your head, do you know which podiatry school doesn't do this combined the class thing?

wow, thanks for the heads up. Because I was totally expecting having a small class size throughout podiatry school.

On top of your head, do you know which podiatry school doesn't do this combined the class thing?
It will be the non-integrated schools and as well as having a small class size. The only one that comes to mind is CSPM.

Hello, i just joined this website for some input for my application process.
I am starting my application early, and i am expecting to apply to D.O. and Podiatry programs in the spring of 2015.
This is my stat, and I would like to know my chances...

My major is combined Biology and Mathematics BS.
I will be the first one to graduate with this major at my university.
My science GPA is 3.65. and my CGPA is 3.7 total.
Honors program(Thesis writing in finite field).
My MCAT is 29.

I have done all community volunteer and hospital hours over 300 hours over a one year period.
I am a treasurer for Pre-Student Osteopathic medicine.
I was an Hospital EHR facilitator for #1 trauma center.
Shadowing podiatry surgeon and D.O. as well...

Please tell me what to do to increase my chances.

what do you mean, apply in the spring of 2015? If you want to join either pod school or DO school in the Fall of 2015, you need to apply right now or at least within the next month or 2 max. Otherwise, you can apply in the summer or early fall of 2015 and join school in the Fall of 2016. Your choice.

Looks like you have an excellent chance of being accepted to pod and DO school. I suggest you continue shadowing the DO and shadow a pod so you can determine what you want to do with your life.

what do you mean, apply in the spring of 2015? If you want to join either pod school or DO school in the Fall of 2015, you need to apply right now or at least within the next month or 2 max. Otherwise, you can apply in the summer or early fall of 2015 and join school in the Fall of 2016. Your choice.

Looks like you have an excellent chance of being accepted to pod and DO school. I suggest you continue shadowing the DO and shadow a pod so you can determine what you want to do with your life.

Yeah Thanks!
I will graduating from UG school spring of 2016 to enter a program in 2016 fall. So, I am trying to start applying in 2015.
I am trying to do at least 1 year of shadowing both of them. Is this a long shadowing period? or adequate?

yeah that's more than enough shadowing.

My bad, I read the surgeon part but skipped the "podiatry" part so I assumed you were shadowing a DO/MD surgeon, my apologies. As of now, which interests you more, DO/MD (both the same thing when it comes to the work you will do in the real world) or pod?

yeah that's more than enough shadowing.

My bad, I read the surgeon part but skipped the "podiatry" part so I assumed you were shadowing a DO/MD surgeon, my apologies. As of now, which interests you more, DO/MD (both the same thing when it comes to the work you will do in the real world) or pod?
I got to love about D.O. in my second year when I got my mentor from New England D.O. school.
basically same thing as MD in terms of works and what not, but I liked that they can provide literally touching care within the scope.
I love podiatry cuz of all epidemics like diabetes and circulation problems along with obesity, people have difficulties of caring their feet which carry their entire body everywhere. So, I think wherever I get into, and decide the best school out of them i will be happy to work as pod physician or D.O physician.

Reactions: 1 users