This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well you will get into any podiatry school you apply to. That is about the only part of your question you'll get answered from this side of SDN. If you want to apply to podiatry school then start applying if you haven't already. Get an LOR from the podiatrist and apply to podiatry.

For the DO school I know people that have gotten into DO schools with a lower MCAT and GPA than that. For example, I don't know how reliable this site is (since it was from 2008) that I stumbled upon but the average MCAT score for USA DO schools: http://www.atsu.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

Your chances at most DO schools are great. Your MCAT is 29, the average accepted DO students is 26 to 27.

For GPA wise, in the 2012 entering class the average AACOMAS Matriculant Science GPA was about 3.40, cGPA at 3.50.
Then compare 2012 to 2013, in 2013 it was practically the same: sGPA at 3.38 to 3.40, cGPA at 3.50
http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2012-Applicant-Matriculant-Report.pdf
http://www.aacom.org/data/applicantsmatriculants/Documents/2013-Applicant-Matriculant-Report.pdf

I would guess that your GPA will be among the top 25% among all DO applicants, then MCAT probably in the top 20 to 25% of applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

1. ALL 9
2. cGPA- 3.4/sGPA-3.4
3. MCAT Score-24 8/8/8
4. Podiatry Experience- i shadowed 3 podiatrists, totalling 32 hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)- I earned my CNA(have not worked a CNA job though, have been too busy with my family, school, and current job), have shadowed orthopedic surgeon, PA, and PT- 70 hours total
6. Volunteering- Served a 2 yr mission for LDS church, was a pacer for 2 marathons for those who wanted to qualify for boston, helped put on a charity 5k, volunteered at a triathalon and a few other sporting events that support charities.
SO, What are my chances? Where am I most likely to get in(if at all)? I am turning in my full application tomorrow, requested my mcat scores be sent today, transcripts should arrive later this week.

1. ALL 9
2. cGPA- 3.4/sGPA-3.4
3. MCAT Score-24 8/8/8
4. Podiatry Experience- i shadowed 3 podiatrists, totalling 32 hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)- I earned my CNA(have not worked a CNA job though, have been too busy with my family, school, and current job), have shadowed orthopedic surgeon, PA, and PT- 70 hours total
6. Volunteering- Served a 2 yr mission for LDS church, was a pacer for 2 marathons for those who wanted to qualify for boston, helped put on a charity 5k, volunteered at a triathalon and a few other sporting events that support charities.
SO, What are my chances? Where am I most likely to get in(if at all)? I am turning in my full application tomorrow, requested my mcat scores be sent today, transcripts should arrive later this week.

You should get into all of them with those stats and ECs, as long as you're not a weirdo and creep them out during the interview! Good job!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody chance me?

Gpa: 3.95
Mcat 28

3 years of research, 1 publication, multiple symposiums

Taught English to immigrants

Raised money for Ronald McDonald like house

Honors thesis

Can somebody chance me?

Mcat 28

Honors thesis

your stats are excellent but have you shadowed a pod? You also need a LOR from a pod. Apart from that, just apply early. You will be accepted at all 9 with scholarship.

Hi everyone,

Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.68
MCAT: 22
URM (Hispanic)
Research experience (although only a semester)
200+ hours of volunteering
100+ hours of shadowing/medical field volunteering
Year of leadership/mentoring at university
Have been working at a podiatrist office, and because of that, I get to step in and watch all sorts of procedures whenever I want!

I originally wanted to do MD or DO, but since working at the podiatrist office, I have become aware of how much I would enjoy being a podiatrist.

I would prefer to go to Midwestern or Des Moines University.

What are my chances? Advice is appreciated.

Can somebody chance me?

Mcat 28

Honors thesis
Yea, I think many pod schools require pod doc lor

Hi everyone,
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.68
MCAT: 22
URM (Hispanic)
Research experience (although only a semester)
200+ hours of volunteering
100+ hours of shadowing/medical field volunteering
Year of leadership/mentoring at university
Have been working at a podiatrist office, and because of that, I get to step in and watch all sorts of procedures whenever I want!

I originally wanted to do MD or DO, but since working at the podiatrist office, I have become aware of how much I would enjoy being a podiatrist.

I would prefer to go to Midwestern or Des Moines University.

What are my chances? Advice is appreciated.

If you want a straight up answer: YES, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY GET ACCEPTED...as long as you don't go insane in the interview and make them terrified of you. GPA will get you in.

....but yes, there is a thread for this.

1. Barry, Scholl,Temple and Kent.
2. cGPA: 2.82 and sGPA: 2.70
3. MCAT: 22
4. No podiatry shadowing.
5. Shadowing: MD and DMD ~100 hrs.
6. Volunteering: Hope Hospice, WIC and founder of college food pantry.
7. Extracurriculars: Part time then full time job throughout college, pre-professional club, officer and member of Club Tennis traveling team representing college.
8. Extra: URM and have taken Biochem, Immunology, A&P, comparative A&P, cell bio, genetics and microbiology.

Thanks in advanced. I hope all this info helps.

Not looking so good. Maybe (I say that with a grimacing face) you'll get in but you really need to consider if you have what it takes to step it up.

I don't think you'll make it if you get accepted, but if you do then PLEASE prove me wrong!!! There have been individuals that can become great students in pod school that had a pretty bad undergrad, but not too many.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Barry, Scholl,Temple and Kent.
2. cGPA: 2.82 and sGPA: 2.70
3. MCAT: 22
4. No podiatry shadowing.
5. Shadowing: MD and DMD ~100 hrs.
6. Volunteering: Hope Hospice, WIC and founder of college food pantry.
7. Extracurriculars: Part time then full time job throughout college, pre-professional club, officer and member of Club Tennis traveling team representing college.
8. Extra: URM and have taken Biochem, Immunology, A&P, comparative A&P, cell bio, genetics and microbiology.

Thanks in advanced. I hope all this info helps.

do some pod shadowing, apply to all 9 schools and you will receive an acceptance

Applying to 7 schools, most interested in Arizona or Chicago
cGPA 3.00 sGPA 2.76 UNC CH Chemistry.
MCAT 27
Shadowing~100 hrs, two pods
extracurriculars 400+ hours chemistry research, Officer of Club Sport team, Bible study leader

you will be accepted to all 7, including azpod. My bro went to azpod and his stats were way worse than yours. just apply early in the cycle

Applying to 7 schools, most interested in Arizona or Chicago
cGPA 3.00 sGPA 2.76 UNC CH Chemistry
MCAT 27
Shadowing~100 hrs, two pods
extracurriculars 400+ hours chemistry research, Officer of Club Sport team, Bible study leader

You should be alright, as your MCAT is high, you have research, and plenty of shadowing. Be prepared to justify the gap in your GPA and MCAT scores, as your GPA (specifically your sGPA) is low.

you will be accepted to all 7, including azpod. My bro went to azpod and his stats were way worse than yours. just apply early in the cycle

I would look at the stats page for AZPOD. It would be a stretch to get in there with a 2.76. It may depend on what classes the low grades were in.

Thanks for looking, yea my sophomore year I took 12 hours of science both semesters, and it hurt my gpa, i struggled in electricity and magnetism, calc 2 and a couple elective chemistry classes that were calc based like pChem. It is nice to hear that I should at least try to apply, it is so hard to know where you are in relation to others

Thanks for looking, yea my sophomore year I took 12 hours of science both semesters, and it hurt my gpa, i struggled in electricity and magnetism, calc 2 and a couple elective chemistry classes that were calc based like pChem. It is nice to hear that I should at least try to apply, it is so hard to know where you are in relation to others

what you have going for you is your MCAT score. I can confidently say that your MCAT score is in the top 5-10% of the MCAT scores of all pod applicants. So definitely apply and apply as early as you can.

what you have going for you is your MCAT score. I can confidently say that your MCAT score is in the top 5-10% of the MCAT scores of all pod applicants. So definitely apply and apply as early as you can.

Thank god someone finally reported you.

And to @nekpir1 if you go into an interview with that reason they will be saying something like that they wouldn't even consider that semester you had as one of the 100 hardest semesters they have seen from a candidate because if two semesters of 12 credits was the toughest you ever had in undergrad. I come from experience, I had two straight semesters that took a toll of my GPA and both were 14 credits each in which 20 of those 28 were 400+ level Biochem or Physio courses. It was awful to my grades, but I know I can't go into an interview and say that and expect them to accept it. Podiatry schools won't care and won't ever find out that among those courses I took at that time were five of the ten most failed courses MSU offers.
You should be okay because of the MCAT, but apply to the larger schools like Kent, Scholl, Temple, or New York since your sGPA still is at a 2.8. Have you taken any Physio, Biochem, or Microbio courses? And I am not talking about some 100 level intro level course.
Best of luck, if and when you get an interview just make sure to practice on the question about the low GPA. Just my advice.

Thank god someone finally reported you.

And to @nekpir1 if you go into an interview with that reason they will be saying something like that they wouldn't even consider that semester you had as one of the 100 hardest semesters they have seen from a candidate because if two semesters of 12 credits was the toughest you ever had in undergrad. I come from experience, I had two straight semesters that took a toll of my GPA and both were 14 credits each in which 20 of those 28 were 400+ level Biochem or Physio courses. It was awful to my grades, but I know I can't go into an interview and say that and expect them to accept it. Podiatry schools won't care and won't ever find out that among those courses I took at that time were five of the ten most failed courses MSU offers.
You should be okay because of the MCAT, but apply to the larger schools like Kent, Scholl, Temple, or New York since your sGPA still is at a 2.8. Have you taken any Physio, Biochem, or Microbio courses? And I am not talking about some 100 level intro level course.
Best of luck, if and when you get an interview just make sure to practice on the question about the low GPA. Just my advice.

Looks like you get upset quite easily by other's people's words (written or otherwise). Here's a piece of advice from someone quite a bit older than you (i'm in my late forties and I'm quite sure you are young enough to be my son), don't let other people rile you up so much. In the real world, there is no report button. The time for you to go running to your mommy and complain about the big bad bully is over. If you don't like someone's opinion (such as my opinion about the pod admissions process), ignore them and move on. Don't waste your time and energy fighting and responding to them. Just my $0.02.

SkipJunior, you're a troll! Dude, you are the definition of a troll!!!!! Just stop ripping on pre-pods and then two days later saying you are in love with becoming a podiatrist. So you are the one telling me to act my age and grow up?

Really? You have 200 posts in in 10 days and the first 100 of them were just ripping on a pre-medical podiatry program that you haven't even gone to.

Remember your "Official 2013-2014 Rejection list Pod" thread? Yeah, the one where you acted like you were a high schooler.
When talking about pre-pods you said "and realizes he isn't a "proper doctor"
You came off as a complete prick and then once you realized you were acting immature you tried to get everybody to feel sorry for you. Your comments are more immature than someone reporting you for trolling.

Reactions: 1 users
SkipJunior, you're a troll! Dude, you are the definition of a troll!!!!! Just stop ripping on pre-pods and then two days later saying you are in love with becoming a podiatrist. So you are the one telling me to act my age and grow up?

Really? You have 200 posts in in 10 days and the first 100 of them were just ripping on a pre-medical podiatry program that you haven't even gone to.

Remember your "Official 2013-2014 Rejection list Pod" thread? Yeah, the one where you acted like you were a high schooler.
When talking about pre-pods you said "and realizes he isn't a "proper doctor"
You came off as a complete prick and then once you realized you were acting immature you tried to get everybody to feel sorry for you. Your comments are more immature than someone reporting you for trolling.

Here's another pro-tip, regardless of your emotional state, always interact with someone in a calm and poised way, especially in a public forum. Otherwise, people will just think you are immature and won't take you seriously. There was no need for you to use so many exclamation marks, to bold and highlight so many sentences etc.

I welcome anyone and everyone to read the aforementioned thread. I did start that thread while emotionally unstable and did make some immature comments. In fact, I mentioned in that thread itself that I had made immature comments and asked the mod to remove the thread, both though the thread and also by private messaging the mod.

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I made a mistake. As you get older, you will realize that you say and do many things that you regret later on. As a consequence, you become more forgiving of other people's mistakes. It's only young people like you who like to mercilessly torment someone because they made a mistake and not give them a chance to redeem themselves.

As for the number of posts, the overwhelming majority of my posts have been in the "What are my Chances" forum where I have been advising premeds about their MD and DO possibilities and also in the "Caribbean forum". You are welcome to check out my extensive post history in both those forums, as is anyone else reading this message.

Anyway, I don't have time to waste bickering with a young pup. I will not be responding to any further messages because I don't want to derail this thread.

You're telling me about immaturity? You are the 40+ year old guy who came onto a pre-podiatry page and ripped on the profession for four days. Where was I tormenting someone for any mistake??? Whatever, I am done arguing

Last edited:
You're telling me about immaturity? You are the 40+ year old guy who came onto a pre-podiatry page and ripped on the profession for four days. Where was I tormenting someone for any mistake???
Hey man, just drop this subject or at least take this via private message or something.
This is getting way out of hand and way off topic

Reactions: 3 users
Long time lurker, lemme get this post back on track I guess...

1. DMU, Kent St, Temple, Scholl, (possibly Barry)
2. cGPA 3.22, sGPA 3.15
3. MCAT 29 (11 BS, 10 VR, 8 PS)
4. Shadowed for 20+hours with a podiatrist (surgery and clinic)
5. I don't have much other clinical experience, I went on an aid trip to Bolivia and I've shadowed around a hospital (Dialysis, surgery, cancer center)
6. Years of volunteer experience from my church, habitat for humanity, 4 or 5 mission trips to help homeless people

Question: Should I wait and shadow more doctors before sending in my application? I'm worried about my limited shadowing experience (I know I want to do podiatry, just worried about how it looks to admissions).

2. cGPA 3.22, sGPA 3.15
5. I don't have much other clinical experience, I went on an aid trip to Bolivia and I've shadowed around a hospital (Dialysis, surgery, cancer center)
6. Years of volunteer experience from my church, habitat for humanity, 4 or 5 mission trips to help homeless people

Question: Should I wait and shadow more doctors before sending in my application? I'm worried about my limited shadowing experience (I know I want to do podiatry, just worried about how it looks to admissions).

My bro joined AZPOD in Fall 2013 and had 20 hours of pod shadowing experience, no other clinical or shadowing experience. His GPA was slightly better than yours and his MCAT score was 21.

I think you will be fine. Can you get a LOR from the pod you shadowed? That will look good. You should receive interview invites from all the schools on your list.

He offered to write me a letter without me even asking, so that's good.

Any thoughts on the schools I'm considering? I'm not sure it's worth it to apply to 5 schools, but I like all the programs so I want to go and see before I make a decision

Any thoughts on the schools I'm considering? I'm not sure it's worth it to apply to 5 schools, but I like all the programs so I want to go and see before I make a decision

The pod LOR will definitely help. You have strong stats so you can afford to be selective. All the schools in your list are good but it's time for you to do research now. Look at the location, tuition, class sizes, residency match rate etc. of all the schools. For example, according to podzilla, DMU has the best residency match rate but my bro rejected his DMU acceptance because he didn't like the location.

The pod LOR will definitely help. You have strong stats so you can afford to be selective. All the schools in your list are good but it's time for you to do research now. Look at the location, tuition, class sizes, residency match rate etc. of all the schools. For example, according to podzilla, DMU has the best residency match rate but my bro rejected his DMU acceptance because he didn't like the location.

I would take some of skip's information with a grain of salt. He has not been accepted to a pod school and doesn't have all of his information correct. With time he will learn more about podiatry and the application process. Probably when he has been through it.

Applying to 5 schools is great. You will most likely be invited to interview at all 5 and it is good to visit 2-3 to get a good feeling of where you will excel.

DMU does not have the "best" residency placement of the 9 schools. That doesn't mean that they don't train and prepare the students for the residency but it is most likely due to the fact that the students didn't rank enough programs or didn't rank the right programs. Residency placements and numbers can be a little tricky to understand when you fist look at them. You need to look at the attrition rate and the number of students that pass boards I and II. That is a really good measure of whether or not students are prepared for residency. DMU has AWESOME board pass rates. That means their students are trained and have all the tools needed to be great podiatrists.

I would take some of skip's information with a grain of salt. He has not been accepted to a pod school and doesn't have all of his information correct. With time he will learn more about podiatry and the application process. Probably when he has been through it.

Applying to 5 schools is great. You will most likely be invited to interview at all 5 and it is good to visit 2-3 to get a good feeling of where you will excel.

DMU does not have the "best" residency placement of the 9 schools. That doesn't mean that they don't train and prepare the students for the residency but it is most likely due to the fact that the students didn't rank enough programs or didn't rank the right programs. Residency placements and numbers can be a little tricky to understand when you fist look at them. You need to look at the attrition rate and the number of students that pass boards I and II. That is a really good measure of whether or not students are prepared for residency. DMU has AWESOME board pass rates. That means their students are trained and have all the tools needed to be great podiatrists.

Well, considering that I was living with my bro while he went through the pod application process and considering that my father used to be a adcom member of a pod school, I think I have a fairly good idea about the application process. I'm very grateful that I have my father to guide me while I apply this year.

It was Podzilla, not me, who claimed that DMU has the best residency match rate.

AvgJoe, my suggestion is that you take any advice given online with a grain of salt. People can pretend to be anyone online. For all you know, both SLCPod and I could be homeless hobos pretending to be knowledgeable about podiatry.

The funny thing is, though slcpod made a point of putting me down, he agrees with me on the major point that avg joe will most likely receive interview invites from all 5 schools.

You are right in saying that both of us might not be the best to give advice.

Sorry to get off subject everyone.

First time applicant here, senior in college and only applying to podiatry. Went into college hoping to get into the field. Already submitted my AACPMAS application.

Just TUSPM
2. 3.66 cGPA/3.56 sGPA - Biochemistry major
3. 21 (8 PS, 6 VR, 7 BS)
4. Did the winter internship at Temple and shadowed a podiatrist who has written me a LOR.
5. 150+ hours physician shadowing experience (which includes podiatry),
6. 2 years, student health center volunteering
7. Awards: Best sophomore in chemistry, best in biochemistry and analytical chemistry, dean's list.

Extra: Worked at UPenn's medical school over the summer as part of a research internship (research that may possibly be published), practiced tae kwon do for 11 years, and was classically trained in piano for 15 years. Also avid contributor to the "Fold-it" project where I worked in numerous crowd-sourcing projects to help design, modify, and predict the correct fold for select proteins. Software was based on the Rosetta prediction algorithms. Avid long distance runner. Have an excellent pre-med committee LOR from the school which includes commentary from several professors in both the sciences and the humanities. Might also be getting a LOR from my former PI at Penn...but I'm not holding my breath because he hasn't been responding as of recent. >_>

I'll have a poster and oral presentation in the books before I conclude my senior year, as well, regarding the research I did at Penn.

The only thing I'm honestly worried about is my MCAT.

DMU does not have the "best" residency placement of the 9 schools.
It was Podzilla, not me, who claimed that DMU has the best residency match rate.
Thank you, SLC Pod, for clarifying.

DMU DOES NOT have the best residency placement rate, I believe it's NYCPM (not sure). And I never said DMU had the best residency placement. I listed some criteria that were important to me and based on those criteria, I chose DMU. And yes, many people decline DMU due to its location. The midwest just isn't all that appealing to those who are from the coasts.

2. cGPA 3.22, sGPA 3.15

20 hours of shadowing is plenty. Admissions will not see it as a bad thing at all. They just want to see that you know what being a podiatrist is about. And as far as the schools you are applying to, if you have one in mind that you will absolutely 100% go, then just apply to that one and save yourself some money. Remember that you can always add a school later, although you won't get the multi-school discount. Your stats look great, good job!

Best of luck.

First time applicant here, senior in college and only applying to podiatry. Went into college hoping to get into the field. Already submitted my AACPMAS application.

Just TUSPM
2. 3.66 cGPA/3.56 sGPA - Biochemistry major
3. 21 (8 PS, 6 VR, 7 BS)
4. Did the winter internship at Temple and shadowed a podiatrist who has written me a LOR.
5. 150+ hours physician shadowing experience (which includes podiatry),
6. 2 years, student health center volunteering
7. Awards: Best sophomore in chemistry, best in biochemistry and analytical chemistry, dean's list.

Extra: Worked at UPenn's medical school over the summer as part of a research internship (research that may possibly be published), practiced tae kwon do for 11 years, and was classically trained in piano for 15 years. Also avid contributor to the "Fold-it" project where I worked in numerous crowd-sourcing projects to help design, modify, and predict the correct fold for select proteins. Software was based on the Rosetta prediction algorithms. Avid long distance runner. Have an excellent pre-med committee LOR from the school which includes commentary from several professors in both the sciences and the humanities. Might also be getting a LOR from my former PI at Penn...but I'm not holding my breath because he hasn't been responding as of recent. >_>

I'll have a poster and oral presentation in the books before I conclude my senior year, as well, regarding the research I did at Penn.

The only thing I'm honestly worried about is my MCAT.
I agree with SLCpod, you are good to go. I wouldn't sweat too much about that MCAT score. You are a solid applicant with variety of experiences and clearly a good student academically. Plus you already have a foot in the door by attending their winter internship. On top of all this, you applied early, which is the key.

Best of luck.

Thank you, SLC Pod, for clarifying.

DMU DOES NOT have the best residency placement rate, I believe it's NYCPM (not sure). And I never said DMU had the best residency placement. I listed some criteria that were important to me and based on those criteria, I chose DMU. And yes, many people decline DMU due to its location. The midwest just isn't all that appealing to those who are from the coasts.

I must have misunderstood you, my apologies.

1. All schools (pref. CSPM, TUSPM, WUCPM)
  2. 3.2 cGPA / 3.0 sGPA - Psychology major
  3. Not taken yet (practice scores from 23-25)
  4. Shadowed podiatrist about 10+ hours with LOR
  5. 100+ hours hospital internship doing rotations throughout the various departments the hospital offered (hands on experience)
  6. Part of various social and school organizations; sat on committees for the school board; various volunteer experiences (feeding the homeless, toy drives, etc.)
I have done psychology research in addition to the above and have written a peer review journal (not published).

I still need to take my MCAT as well as complete two prereqs (Ochem II; Physics II). When would you guys recommend me applying? Also what are my chances for admittance into the Fall 2015 class?

1. Shadowed podiatrist about 10+ hours with LOR
I have done psychology research in addition to the above and have written a peer review journal (not published).
I still need to take my MCAT as well as complete two prereqs (Ochem II; Physics II). When would you guys recommend me applying? Also what are my chances for admittance into the Fall 2015 class?

I personally would recommend shadowing a bit more. Is the podiatrist you know a family friend??? Because if not I personally don't see how he is going to give you a stunning LOR or even anything better than a paragraph or two of words that the admissions committee will point out as bullcrap. 10 hours of shadowing is about a 2.5 shifts of a podiatrist's after lunch schedule. Personally I don't think that really is enough to fully grasp what a podiatrist does.

You need to take the MCAT first, but in the mean time during the current semester I would advise you trying to contact a podiatrist near your campus and getting some more shadowing done and get another LOR. Getting an LOR from a doctor you only shadowed for 10 hours would be like getting an LOR from a professor in which you got a 4.0 but you never once talked to the professor and he didn't know who you were. Maybe the committee doesn't read the LORs that well to signal whether to accept the person or not. If the LOR sounds bland and is just a cut and paste from a boring letter it may show to the committee that you didn't put in that much work to get some hours of shadowing. I don't know if the doctor will allow you to read your LOR but if he does I would read it myself and make sure it doesn't sound bland, boring, or a simple cut&paste.

Have you started your personal statement??? Because if that LOR gives the committee a belief that you only shadowed for 2 to 3 shifts they are going to be reading your personal statement to see if you really DREAM to be a podiatrist. If I were on an admissions committee that is how I would do it, but again obviously I am not on an admissions committee.

I personally would recommend shadowing a bit more. Is the podiatrist you know a family friend??? Because if not I personally don't see how he is going to give you a stunning LOR or even anything better than a paragraph or two of words that the admissions committee will point out as bullcrap. 10 hours of shadowing is about a 2.5 shifts of a podiatrist's after lunch schedule. Personally I don't think that really is enough to fully grasp what a podiatrist does.

You need to take the MCAT first, but in the mean time during the current semester I would advise you trying to contact a podiatrist near your campus and getting some more shadowing done and get another LOR. Getting an LOR from a doctor you only shadowed for 10 hours would be like getting an LOR from a professor in which you got a 4.0 but you never once talked to the professor and he didn't know who you were. Maybe the committee doesn't read the LORs that well to signal whether to accept the person or not. If the LOR sounds bland and is just a cut and paste from a boring letter it may show to the committee that you didn't put in that much work to get some hours of shadowing. I don't know if the doctor will allow you to read your LOR but if he does I would read it myself and make sure it doesn't sound bland, boring, or a simple cut&paste.

Have you started your personal statement??? Because if that LOR gives the committee a belief that you only shadowed for 2 to 3 shifts they are going to be reading your personal statement to see if you really DREAM to be a podiatrist. If I were on an admissions committee that is how I would do it, but again obviously I am not on an admissions committee.

Yes, the podiatrist is a friend. I have only done shadowing for 10 hours at this point in time and plan on doing more including going into see surgery.

Also my personal statement will hopefully be received well. I was born with clubfoot and I dreamed of going into the healthcare profession (specifically podiatry) so that I could one day help children with the same, or similar, conditions as I was/ still am today.

Thanks for your input! I will try and get some more hours in with him or another pod.

Yes, the podiatrist is a friend. I have only done shadowing for 10 hours at this point in time and plan on doing more including going into see surgery.

Also my personal statement will hopefully be received well. I was born with clubfoot and I dreamed of going into the healthcare profession (specifically podiatry) so that I could one day help children with the same, or similar, conditions as I was/ still am today.

Thanks for your input! I will try and get some more hours in with him or another pod.

10 hours is not much but it will be fine. You don't need to worry about doing anymore since you have a LOR and you have personal experience with lower extremity specialists. You will have plenty to talk about in your interview.

You can apply if you are enrolled in your pre-reqs but it would be wise to finish them and then take the MCAT. You can still make it in this cycle if you take your courses and your MCAT. There will be seats up until April /May at the schools you want to get into.

10 hours is not much but it will be fine. You don't need to worry about doing anymore since you have a LOR and you have personal experience with lower extremity specialists. You will have plenty to talk about in your interview.

You can apply if you are enrolled in your pre-reqs but it would be wise to finish them and then take the MCAT. You can still make it in this cycle if you take your courses and your MCAT. There will be seats up until April /May at the schools you want to get into.

Thank you for your input!

Also - to anyone - can you apply before your MCAT scores are in and update later or, do you need to have your official score in to apply to schools? Thanks.

Thank you for your input!

Also - to anyone - can you apply before your MCAT scores are in and update later or, do you need to have your official score in to apply to schools? Thanks.
You can apply without it, most schools will put you on hold until the scores come in.

Hey guys, I am getting ready to submit in a day or two. I wanted to know what you guys thought about my chances for acceptance. I have strong letters of recommendation including 1 from a podiatrist I shadowed for over a year. I have a research publication and a letter of recommendation from my lead investigator. I have a cumuluative GPA of 3.1 and a science GPA at like a 2.8 and my MCAT is a 23 after I improved 6 points from my previous exam. I have a good amount of retakes but thats because I had alot of stuff happen during undergrad that messed me up academically but no F's just some C's. I am mostly a B student honestly.

Hey guys, I am getting ready to submit in a day or two. I wanted to know what you guys thought about my chances for acceptance. I have strong letters of recommendation including 1 from a podiatrist I shadowed for over a year. I have a research publication and a letter of recommendation from my lead investigator. I have a cumuluative GPA of 3.1 and a science GPA at like a 2.8 and my MCAT is a 23 after I improved 6 points from my previous exam. I have a good amount of retakes but thats because I had alot of stuff happen during undergrad that messed me up academically but no F's just some C's. I am mostly a B student honestly.
GPAs are kind of low but not too bad, just know that it might be lower than you expect after they calculate it. My transcript says I have a 3.89, I figured they would calculate it as around 3.6 but actually it was a 3.4 :(
Your mcat is fine, I think you have a shot. Be ready to explain your GPA. Good luck!!

GPAs are kind of low but not too bad, just know that it might be lower than you expect after they calculate it. My transcript says I have a 3.89, I figured they would calculate it as around 3.6 but actually it was a 3.4 :(
Your mcat is fine, I think you have a shot. Be ready to explain your GPA. Good luck!!

Well I have a lot of upper level sciences that I didn't do amazing in but average. Lots of Bs and 1 C but that was in histology. I worked almost 45 hrs undergrad you think they would take that into consideration?