This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He's got a good shot at admittance to all of the pod schools. His GPA is decent, and his MCAT is most definitely worthy of admissions to not only all of the pod schools, but also some DO programs as well. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

He's got a good shot at admittance to all of the pod schools. His GPA is decent, and his MCAT is most definitely worthy of admissions to not only all of the pod schools, but also some DO programs as well. Hope this helps.

Thank you for you response!
Will the lack of ECs not hold him back?

I realize this thread is really old but...

I would like to present my friend with some facts about what his options are for the future.

GPA ~ 3.2
MCAT 31 ( 8P, 11V, 12B)

ECs:

2 years of TA experience.
(Nothing else).

What are his chances for Podiatry?

( I have my own opinions, but I would like to know what SDN thinks)

If he doesn't have a chance, how long will it take to strengthen his application to a decent shape?
He is about to graduate and
I want him to finally start examining his future plans.

Thank you for your responses!

I don't think it's a stretch to say that your friend has guaranteed acceptance + big scholarships to every Podiatry school, assuming he doesn't vomit on his interviewer during his visit.
Has your friend considered DO schools? Although his GPA is slightly lower than that of the average DO matriculant (but not by very much), his MCAT score alone would likely get him accepted to several schools if he applied broadly.

My only advice for either route would be to shadow a Podiatrists & a DO for at least a few hours, because those are requirements for both programs respectively.

(I applied to Podiatry & DO schools in 2014 with only a slightly higher GPA, and a significantly lesser MCAT. I received acceptances to both, and am now a DO student.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's a stretch to say that your friend has guaranteed acceptance + big scholarships to every Podiatry school, assuming he doesn't vomit on his interviewer during his visit.
Has your friend considered DO schools? Although his GPA is slightly lower than that of the average DO matriculant (but not by very much), his MCAT score alone would likely get him accepted to several schools if he applied broadly.

My only advice for either route would be to shadow a Podiatrists & a DO for at least a few hours, because those are requirements for both programs respectively.

(I applied to Podiatry & DO schools in 2014 with only a slightly higher GPA, and a significantly lesser MCAT. I received acceptances to both, and am now a DO student.)
They asked about podiatry, not DO school. I'm not sure why people try to constantly throw DO into the conversation when someone with decent stats asks about pod. For a lot of people this is their first choice, not a fallback.

Reactions: 5 users
They asked about podiatry, not DO school. I'm not sure why people try to constantly throw DO into the conversation when someone with decent stats asks about pod. For a lot of people this is their first choice, not a fallback.

There's nothing wrong with podiatry, and I think it's a great option for many students (hence why I enjoy occasionally re-visiting the pod forums).
That being said, I'm reasonably certain that more than 50% of all first-year podiatry matriculants didn't know what a DPM was when they started undergrad. More than likely, someone along the way gave those students some information about the podiatric medical profession and the schools. In much the same way, some people like to tell uniformed competitive candidates about DO schools.

To be fair, if someone (not trolling) posted on this thread that they had a 4.0 GPA & a perfect MCAT score, I would definitely tell hem that they would be competitive at ANY medical program they applied to, including MD schools.

I've already posted here, and it appears that I have a shot. However, I have one last worry eating at me. My 26 on the MCAT was a PS:6 VR:11 BS:9. Do I retake while I apply or is that fine?

To recap my previous post:
1. Barry, AZPod, CPMS, Des Moines, NYCPM, WUCPM, SCPM, pretty much all of them this upcoming cycle.
2. cGPA: 3.195 range, sGPA: 3.01 range (3.36 Upper Level Sciences) with significant upwards trend, Non-sGPA: 3.52
3. MCAT Score: See above
4. Podiatry Experience: None yet, however I am starting within the month
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: 30 hours MD (Cardio)
6. Volunteering: I am going back to volunteer at an assisted living home I worked at in HS, this summer, so probably 50-100 hours.

Reactions: 1 user
I've already posted here, and it appears that I have a shot. However, I have one last worry eating at me. My 26 on the MCAT was a PS:6 VR:11 BS:9. Do I retake while I apply or is that fine?

To recap my previous post:
1. Barry, AZPod, CPMS, Des Moines, NYCPM, WUCPM, SCPM, pretty much all of them this upcoming cycle.
2. cGPA: 3.195 range, sGPA: 3.01 range (3.36 Upper Level Sciences) with significant upwards trend, Non-sGPA: 3.52
3. MCAT Score: See above
4. Podiatry Experience: None yet, however I am starting within the month
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience: 30 hours MD (Cardio)
6. Volunteering: I am going back to volunteer at an assisted living home I worked at in HS, this summer, so probably 50-100 hours.
You're good for most of the schools. AZPOD might be hard since they have a higher average gpa but your mcat is ok. Don't retake it. Apply early and you should have success!

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster so if you could provide input that would be great!
1. 3.25cgpa; 3.23 sgpa
2. mcat next week
3. 2 strong LORS from teachers ( one is phd protein biochemist); LOR from podiatrist
4. lots of shadowing (Father is podiatrist, went to OCPM which is now KSUCPM)
5. volunteered time at personal care home, 6 years
6. good ec's
7. looking at mainly KSUCPM( barry as well) but wondering what other schools possibly good shots

You have a good shot. Do well on the MCAT and you should be good for Kent or Barry with your stats. Best of luck to you.

Hello everyone,
I don't really like to post on here because I don't want anyone to put me down with their harsh comments about my chances of getting into podiatry. I know how bad my stats are, so please try not to be too mean, I'm just trying to see if it's worth applying next cycle (August '15).

I have an embarrassing mcat score (17) but my gpa is pretty good (cgpa: 3.83 sgpa: 3.77) Bio major @ competitive university. I also graduated with many honors including summa cum laude and Dean's list.
My poor mcat is mainly due to the fact that I never had time to study b/c of work from 10am-7pm everyday 6 days/wk.
I have TONS of shadowing, volunteer work, EC's, leadership roles, did research @ a medical school, honors and achievements. I am currently shadowing a podiatrist. I have great LOR's.
I don't want to take the mcat again because it is soooo much harder now.
Basically, I don't want to chance taking the mcat again (new mcat2015) and getting a lower score - which looks even worse if I apply in August! I admit - I have test anxiety about this stupid test.
I'm also an athlete and am underrepresented minority.
If I apply, it will be in August - when the application first opens so I can get my most chances.
I don't really care for scholarships, I just want to get in somewhere!
If anyone knows someone that got in with these stats, PLEASE share!
Nice, encouraging comments are welcome :)

I could be wrong, but i think general consensus is that pod schools look at the highest MCAT score, rather than the most recent. You could check the following link to get a better idea of the ranges they're looking for:
http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf

17 falls in the range for Western, Kent, Scholl. Out of those, Kent and Scholl has the bigger classes. I'd apply to both early August if you're set on not re-taking the MCAT. Good luck!

Appreciate ur response and the link, that was very helpful!
I do see the range starting at 17 for those schools, but does that mean they actually take ppl with that score? Does my gpa somehow balance out mcat since I see many schools with average gpas that are much lower than mine?

What do you guys think? Thanks!
1. 3.32cgpa; 2.91 sgpa
2. mcat: 20 and 22
3. Strong LORS from teachers (One is a physics professor, another was my primary researcher for 3 yrs and last is an english prof); Trying to find a podiatrist to shadow- hopefully I can get a letter from one
4. Shadowed a DO before; will be shadowing a podiatrist soon
5. >100 hours of volunteering and currently a medical scribe
6. good ec's and leadership experience
7. I would like to apply to all 9 schools, but rooting for Temple, Des Moines, NYU and maybe Scholl's

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate ur response and the link, that was very helpful!
I do see the range starting at 17 for those schools, but does that mean they actually take ppl with that score? Does my gpa somehow balance out mcat since I see many schools with average gpas that are much lower than mine?
Some schools will. You just have to put in your application early and be able to explain why you feel your MCAT score is so low. Some people put a lot of emphasis on your MCAT score, while others do not. Your other stats are very good so everything should balance out. Bigger schools will probably be your best bet, but If a school like Western has 17 in their range, you should apply there as well. Applying early is going to be the key :). Good luck to you and I wish you all of the best.

What do you guys think? Thanks!
1. 3.32cgpa; 2.91 sgpa
2. mcat: 20 and 22
3. Strong LORS from teachers (One is a physics professor, another was my primary researcher for 3 yrs and last is an english prof); Trying to find a podiatrist to shadow- hopefully I can get a letter from one
4. Shadowed a DO before; will be shadowing a podiatrist soon
5. >100 hours of volunteering and currently a medical scribe
6. good ec's and leadership experience
7. I would like to apply to all 9 schools, but rooting for Temple, Des Moines, NYU and maybe Scholl's
Temple, NY and Scholl will most likely give you a shot. DMU is will be a bit tougher with your science GPA. Not saying it is impossible, but DMU has less seats available than the other 3 schools and usually gets some pretty competitive applicants. I would still apply to all of them and hope for the very best. I wish you the best of luck. You will get in somewhere for sure this upcoming cycle.

Some schools will. You just have to put in your application early and be able to explain why you feel your MCAT score is so low. Some people put a lot of emphasis on your MCAT score, while others do not. Your other stats are very good so everything should balance out. Bigger schools will probably be your best bet, but If a school like Western has 17 in their range, you should apply there as well. Applying early is going to be the key :). Good luck to you and I wish you all of the best.

Thank you for your response!
1 more question: Do these schools take the best scored sections from multiple mcat scores?

Thank you for your response!
1 more question: Do these schools take the best scored sections from multiple mcat scores?
Most schools just look at a cumulative score. I know schools like Kent want at least a 5 in all sections, but they're the only school that I know of that is looking for a minimum section score. To answer your question, I don't believe that they look at section scores. They look at 1 cumulative score to determine admissions. They may review the scores of each individual section, but they wont break up all of your test by section. I hope this helps.

Most schools just look at a cumulative score. I know schools like Kent want at least a 5 in all sections, but they're the only school that I know of that is looking for a minimum section score. To answer your question, I don't believe that they look at section scores. They look at 1 cumulative score to determine admissions. They may review the scores of each individual section, but they wont break up all of your test by section. I hope this helps.

so do they just look at the highest mcat you got? cuz i dont wanna take it again and do worse especially cuz the test now is much harder than the old one.

Temple, NY and Scholl will most likely give you a shot. DMU is will be a bit tougher with your science GPA. Not saying it is impossible, but DMU has less seats available than the other 3 schools and usually gets some pretty competitive applicants. I would still apply to all of them and hope for the very best. I wish you the best of luck. You will get in somewhere for sure this upcoming cycle.

Thanks so much for that! Do you know how many hours I need to shadow a podiatrist before asking for a letter? And would retaking a pre-req that I got a C- in make a difference, considering that podiatry schools still look at both grades? thanks again!!!1

Hey i'd just e-mail the schools and ask just to be sure!
And it terms of the subsection cut-offs, i've heard people saying here that both Scholl and Temple want a 6 in each section. Again, you need to check with them. I'd assume with your high GPA, you'd probably be fine getting into the big schools if you apply early.

in terms of big schools, are those Kent, NY, Scholl and Temple? they have the largest class sizes according to this website:
http://www.cpme.org/colleges/content.cfm?ItemNumber=2425

so do they just look at the highest mcat you got? cuz i dont wanna take it again and do worse especially cuz the test now is much harder than the old one.
They take the highest of all test taken. If you feel that you did poorly, I would consider taking it again. If you dont want to take it again, make sure you apply as early as possible to avoid being on the negative end of the curve. Podiatry is becoming increasingly more popular and with that comes more difficulty in gaining admissions. Just do your best. You GPA is high enough to catch the eye of the admissions committee. You will most likely get in somewhere. Hope this helps. Rooting for you.

Thanks so much for that! Do you know how many hours I need to shadow a podiatrist before asking for a letter? And would retaking a pre-req that I got a C- in make a difference, considering that podiatry schools still look at both grades? thanks again!!!1
I would shadow someone until you feel that they are comfortable enough to write you a letter. Be proactive when you shadow. Don't look at shadowing as a requirement. Ask questions, do research on the procedures being performed, etc. This will let the podiatrist know that you are serious and increase the odds of them writing you a good letter. The admissions committee will look at all of your grades and ask questions as to why you did poorly in a specific course. If you retake, it could potentially increase you GPA slightly, or give you a back-out to that question. Retaking wont hurt, but I wouldn't if i didn't have to. Its a waste of money in my opinion. If you are able to apply, don't waste the time or the money retaking a course you've already passed. Hope this helps.

They take the highest of all test taken. If you feel that you did poorly, I would consider taking it again. If you dont want to take it again, make sure you apply as early as possible to avoid being on the negative end of the curve. Podiatry is becoming increasingly more popular and with that comes more difficulty in gaining admissions. Just do your best. You GPA is high enough to catch the eye of the admissions committee. You will most likely get in somewhere. Hope this helps. Rooting for you.

Ok, then i guess its safe to retake the test? (Just wanted to be absolutely positive about this decision)
You are right about podiatry becoming more popular now...ive been reading a lot of other threads and many have been mentioning how the field doesnt get much respect. why is that? podiatry school is pretty much a medical school b/c of similar classes taken. why do people have such negative views on pods? like many said, getting in is the easy part, but finishing is the kicker...so if ppl know that, why the disrespect (even from DO's).
Thank you so much, i really appreciate your kind words of encouragement! :highfive:

Ok, then i guess its safe to retake the test? (Just wanted to be absolutely positive about this decision)
You are right about podiatry becoming more popular now...ive been reading a lot of other threads and many have been mentioning how the field doesnt get much respect. why is that? podiatry school is pretty much a medical school b/c of similar classes taken. why do people have such negative views on pods? like many said, getting in is the easy part, but finishing is the kicker...so if ppl know that, why the disrespect (even from DO's).
Thank you so much, i really appreciate your kind words of encouragement! :highfive:
DO's once received the same type of treatment from their MD counterparts. There have been issues in the past with parity and respect issues, but those are slowly beginning to fade. From what I've seen, there hasn't been much negativity (at least from what I've seen). Others may have stories of encounters with this type of issue. Go into the field because you love it. I feel that there may be some disparity between MD/DO's and DPM's due to admission standards. Podiatry schools are significantly easier to get into than MD/DO schools. Although the schooling, once accepted, is very similar, this causes MD/DO's to frown upon the "lesser" applicant pool. This is changing as well. As podiatry becomes increasingly more popular, it will attract stronger applicant. The applicant pool is also smaller because many students are choosing to specialize very early in their career. MD/DO gives you the opportunity to "pick" a medical specialty that doesn't have to deal with the foot and ankle. Although there are sub-specialties in podiatry (surgery, biomechanics, sports medicine, etc.) they still all lead back to the foot and ankle. Many people prefer not to specialize so early on in their career. I hope this clears up a few things, but there is so much more to this than the few things that I listed. Anyone else can feel free to chime in on what they've heard or experienced.

DO's once received the same type of treatment from their MD counterparts. There have been issues in the past with parity and respect issues, but those are slowly beginning to fade. From what I've seen, there hasn't been much negativity (at least from what I've seen). Others may have stories of encounters with this type of issue. Go into the field because you love it. I feel that there may be some disparity between MD/DO's and DPM's due to admission standards. Podiatry schools are significantly easier to get into than MD/DO schools. Although the schooling, once accepted, is very similar, this causes MD/DO's to frown upon the "lesser" applicant pool. This is changing as well. As podiatry becomes increasingly more popular, it will attract stronger applicant. The applicant pool is also smaller because many students are choosing to specialize very early in their career. MD/DO gives you the opportunity to "pick" a medical specialty that doesn't have to deal with the foot and ankle. Although there are sub-specialties in podiatry (surgery, biomechanics, sports medicine, etc.) they still all lead back to the foot and ankle. Many people prefer not to specialize so early on in their career. I hope this clears up a few things, but there is so much more to this than the few things that I listed. Anyone else can feel free to chime in on what they've heard or experienced.

Sure, they get to "pick" a specialty, but either way, they are specializing in 1 thing for the rest of their lives...just like podiatry. I just love how podiatry doesn't only have clinic, but surgery as well, so they get the best of both worlds. Sure MD/DO surgeons get the same lifestyle, but they get to specialize later on - i would rather specialize now lol
I've also seen threads that talk about how Podiatric surgeons dont get paid as much as MD/DO surgeons. why is that? surgery is surgery

Sure, they get to "pick" a specialty, but either way, they are specializing in 1 thing for the rest of their lives...just like podiatry. I just love how podiatry doesn't only have clinic, but surgery as well, so they get the best of both worlds. Sure MD/DO surgeons get the same lifestyle, but they get to specialize later on - i would rather specialize now lol
I've also seen threads that talk about how Podiatric surgeons dont get paid as much as MD/DO surgeons. why is that? surgery is surgery
There are several factors to consider with this. Pay depends on how much you work, what you're capable of doing, and what you actually do. For podiatry, the money is not really in surgery. For example, for a breast augmentation, a plastic surgeon can charge anywhere from $5000 to $8000. This is a standard procedure that generally takes 2-3 hours to complete. A TAR (total ankle replacement) is a fairly involved procedure. This procedure takes roughly 4 hours to complete on average and usually compensates around $5000 for the surgeon. Although these are pretty comparable, specialties such as plastic surgery have more of these procedures available. Bunions, Morton's Neuromas, MPJ fusions, etc. will not pay out this much. For those that want to be primarily surgical, this is something that you're going to have to consider. Most of your money is made in clinic. There are some podiatrist out there the bring home a hefty salary, but this is not always the case. From what I've seen, most podiatrist are comfortable. You most likely won't gross 7 figures a year, but you should be comfortable. I won't speak too much on salary, because it varies so much based on different things. These are all questions that you should bring up when you shadow. While your podiatrist may not give you his/her specific take-home salary, they should be willing to put you in the ballpark. Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,
I've been a longtime lurker, but I figured I'd post my stats to get an idea of what my chances are.
cgpa: 3.48, sgpa: 3.19, mcat: 25
I have about ~40 hours shadowing two podiatrists, and I currently volunteer at my local hospital too. I'm contemplating retaking my MCAT, but I'm also worried about the new mcat (more material/don't want to risk doing worse). I plan on applying to all schools in August as soon as the application opens.
My opinion dont retake the MCAT because you've got a good enough score. Your cGPA is not bad but your science is a little on the low side, but still above 3.0 so you should be good. Id say apply to the schools you want to attend and you will most likely get interviews at most of them. Good luck and hopefully this helps.

F&A

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
I've been a longtime lurker, but I figured I'd post my stats to get an idea of what my chances are.
cgpa: 3.48, sgpa: 3.19, mcat: 25
I have about ~40 hours shadowing two podiatrists, and I currently volunteer at my local hospital too. I'm contemplating retaking my MCAT, but I'm also worried about the new mcat (more material/don't want to risk doing worse). I plan on applying to all schools in August as soon as the application opens.
You're good for all of the schools.

Good luck!

My opinion dont retake the MCAT because you've got a good enough score. Your cGPA is not bad but your science is a little on the low side, but still above 3.0 so you should be good. Id say apply to the schools you want to attend and you will most likely get interviews at most of them. Good luck and hopefully this helps.

F&A

You're good for all of the schools.

Good luck!

Last edited:
1. Schools you are applying to: all
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.068 & 3.06
3. MCAT Score: 28 (10, 9, 9), retook 25 (10, 6, 9)
4. Podiatry Experience: shadowed two podiatrists for 40+ hours
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): clerk at a doctors office, shadowed a cardiologist
6. Volunteering: charity relief internship, autism foundation, VP of a student org, 2 semesters research

You're good.

Maybe save some money and apply to only the schools that you really want to attend.

Last edited:
1. Applying to all podiatry schools

2. cGPA: 2.89 / sGPA: 2.52

3. 1st MCAT: 17 (8, 4, 5). 2nd MCAT: 21 (9, 7, 5) Retaking new MCAT in September.

4. Working part time as a medical scribe in podiatry clinic since March

5. Shadowed ICU Physician for 30 hrs. Volunteered at St. Joseph Hospital for 100 hrs.

6. Youth leader at my church for all four years of undergrad-- think of it like a religious Boy/Girl Scouts. Went to Ghana on a medical mission( 2 weeks). Chair of fundraising committee for Vietnamese Graduation at UC Irvine. Research at Children’s Hospital of Orange County on pain management (1 year) and researched at UC Irvine’s Vietnamese American Oral History Project conducting interviews with Vietnamese Americans (1 year).

3. 1st MCAT: 17 (8, 4, 5). 2nd MCAT: 21 (9, 7, 5) Retaking new MCAT in September.

5. Shadowed ICU Physician for 30 hrs. Volunteered at St. Joseph Hospital for 100 hrs.

6. Youth leader at my church for all four years of undergrad-- think of it like a religious Boy/Girl Scouts. Went to Ghana on a medical mission( 2 weeks). Chair of fundraising committee for Vietnamese Graduation at UC Irvine. Research at Children’s Hospital of Orange County on pain management (1 year) and researched at UC Irvine’s Vietnamese American Oral History Project conducting interviews with Vietnamese Americans (1 year).
Sorry to say, but your numbers are just too low. You will definitely have a hard time and waste a lot of money if you apply with your current scenario. Extracurricular matter to an extent but only if your numbers are close, which yours are not, especially your science gpa.

I would advise you to take more upper division science courses and do well in them, which will help both your science and overall gpa, as well as demonstrate that you can handle the incredibly rigorous curriculum of med school. Not to be a downer, but if you tried really hard in undergrad and this is the result, you will probably not be able to handle the podiatry curriculum. Maybe a school will allow you to pay them a year or two of tuition before they kick you out, but they definitely will if you are not up to par.

Again, sorry if harsh, but I'm being completely honest with you.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm in the similar ballpark as you. I did not make a strong effort and was apathetic in undergrad and am paying for it now. My GPA for undergrad was similar to yours. I got a 22 on the MCAT. Currently I am in a Biology Masters program and have a 3.66 and am applying this upcoming cycle. From my discussions with some schools, my masters will be helping me to show I'm able to do upper level work but some have recommended me to take the MCAT again. I think you have a good amount of repair work to do before you consider applying as I have done.

Hey so I was just wondering what you guys think my chances are for getting into podiatry school.

My stats are:
3.3 cGPA
3.1 or 3.0 sGPA I don't remember exactly.
24 MCAT 9V 7P 8B
No shadowing experience with a podiatrist but I have other healthcare volunteer experience.

I applied to NYCPM for the Fall 2015 class. I applied late and I was actually given an interview for the wait-list and they said if I got wait-listed and a seat doesn't open up then I am guaranteed a seat for the January or September class. I interviewed and I felt like my commitment to podiatry was questioned, which I completely understand due to my lack of volunteer and shadowing experience in podiatry. I got the results of my interview a week later and I was not offered a wait-list position. I want to reapply, after getting more shadowing hours of course, for the January class. What do you guys think my chances are of getting in? After seeing the school and learning about it I know I want to go there. The only question is will I be given a chance?

Your post is most likely going to be moved to the "What are my chances thread." Just a heads up if you don't see your thread.

You're good. Go shadow a DPM to make sure this is what you want to do. If you were told that you have been guaranteed a spot already why do you have to pay the extra money and interview again? If you are already accepted why don't they just take a deposit for the January class and be done with it? Obviously I don't know much about the NYCPM admissions.

Did you have a DPM LOR? Im surprised they would give an interview without one.

Your post is most likely going to be moved to the "What are my chances thread." Just a heads up if you don't see your thread.

You're good. Go shadow a DPM to make sure this is what you want to do. If you were told that you have been guaranteed a spot already why do you have to pay the extra money and interview again? If you are already accepted why don't they just take a deposit for the January class and be done with it? Obviously I don't know much about the NYCPM admissions.
I was guaranteed a spot if I got waitlisted. I was interviewed for a wait list position but they didn't give me a position. I'm not sure if that makes sense haha. Basically it's the same as if I was interviewed for a normal seat and they said no. Hope that's more clear.

Did you have a DPM LOR? Im surprised they would give an interview without one.
I didn't have a DPM LOR. I was surprised I got an interview as well. I was planning on just shadowing and reapplying this August but since they invited me for an interview I spent my time preparing for that rather than shadowing.

Also NYCPM doesn't require any LOR from a podiatrist. I know other schools do and this was why I applied to NYCPM.

I was guaranteed a spot if I got waitlisted. I was interviewed for a wait list position but they didn't give me a position. I'm not sure if that makes sense haha. Basically it's the same as if I was interviewed for a normal seat and they said no. Hope that's more clear.

When you get your LOR and do a little shadowing you will have a great shot at getting in. GOOD LUCK!

When you get your LOR and do a little shadowing you will have a great shot at getting in. GOOD LUCK!
Do you have any tips for interviewing? I felt like I wasn't talking well. Like sometimes I had a hard time explaining why I wanted to go into podiatry and I would stumble over my words. I was also sick during my interview so sometimes it was hard to speak. Also are you a current pod student and if so where do you go? Also thanks for the encouragement. :D

Do you have any tips for interviewing? I felt like I wasn't talking well. Like sometimes I had a hard time explaining why I wanted to go into podiatry and I would stumble over my words. I was also sick during my interview so sometimes it was hard to speak. Also are you a current pod student and if so where do you go? Also thanks for the encouragement. :D
Just be yourself. Make a list of things you like about podiatry. If you don't have a very big list then maybe it isn't for you. I am sure you will fall in love with it when you shadow and get some exposure to what a DPM does. You can go to the interview feedback tab at the top of the page and find some helpful links.

I am a 3rd year at CSPM.

didn't know this thread existed.. ill repost my info here:

Hello all,

I want to know what my chances are for podiatry schools.

Some background info: I have not shadowed a podiatrist or have a rec letter from one. However, I am currently trying to find one. I'm not applying to Pod schools because I cannot get into DO/MD schools. I find it interesting (looked at forums/video procedures, etc), so I want to pursue it (please no hate..)

My Info:
  • Science GPA: 3.08
    • In terms of this GPA, I actually don't know if this is 100% accurate. I am taking these numbers from the Rosalind Franklin calculations they did for my masters app. Due to scheduling issues, I haven't had the chance of starting my med school apps, but I am currently doing them now. I am hoping that my science GPA is actually over 3.1 but I will have to update on this.
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.34
  • Post-Bacc (took anatomy at community college): 4.0
MCAT: recently took it last week. I don't think I did well enough, so I am planning to retake it (was a lot harder than the practice tests I took to prepare..) I am thinking I got something around 20-25...

Activities/work:
  • 100+ hours shadowing MDs
  • 40+ hours volunteering at hospital
  • 40+ hours volunteering at an institution for the mentally challenged
  • 40+ hours shadowing my dentist ( I don't know if I should bother putting this on here, I wanted diversify my experience in the health profession)
  • Will go to Guatemala for a medical mission trip early July for a week
  • Worked at CVS Caremark Specialty Pharmacy
I also have some questions about the field. I am a little hesitant about podiatry because I am not sure about the job market in the future. Am I worrying too much about it?.. Is there still that stigma that Podiatrists aren't real doctors and are people who failed to get into med school?

Hello all,

Some background info: I have not shadowed a podiatrist or have a rec letter from one. However, I am currently trying to find one. I'm not applying to Pod schools because I cannot get into DO/MD schools. I find it interesting (looked at forums/video procedures, etc), so I want to pursue it (please no hate..)

My Info:
    • In terms of this GPA, I actually don't know if this is 100% accurate. I am taking these numbers from the Rosalind Franklin calculations they did for my masters app. Due to scheduling issues, I haven't had the chance of starting my med school apps, but I am currently doing them now. I am hoping that my science GPA is actually over 3.1 but I will have to update on this.
MCAT: recently took it last week. I don't think I did well enough, so I am planning to retake it (was a lot harder than the practice tests I took to prepare..) I am thinking I got something around 20-25...

Activities/work:
  • 40+ hours shadowing my dentist ( I don't know if I should bother putting this on here, I wanted diversify my experience in the health profession)
I also have some questions about the field. I am a little hesitant about podiatry because I am not sure about the job market in the future. Am I worrying too much about it?.. Is there still that stigma that Podiatrists aren't real doctors and are people who failed to get into med school?

Hello all,

My Info:

Activities/work:

Your gpa is about average. MCAT in the 20s (not sure what that corresponds to with the new scoring system). You shouldn't have any issues securing a seat.
job market in the future? it's understandable that you're worried and you should be since it's an incredible amount of investment ($$$$$ and 4+3 yrs of training). But that's life and it's a big gamble (but trust me the odds here are infinitely more in your favor than winning a lottery or hitting a jackpot). You get what you put in and personally I haven't heard of anyone finishing their training without prospective jobs lined up. As long as you put in the work everything else will follow.
Stigma? It's a small field that isn't well-known although I feel that the general population is becoming increasingly more aware of what we do. You will come across ignorant people everywhere. But does that really matter? Why should anyone's opinion influence your ability to deliver healthcare? It's all about you and the person in front of you and this person needs your help. If you're good at what you do I doubt that anyone will care.
Good luck and you should definitely shadow a podiatrist or two.

Ladies, gentlemen.... here we are once again. I have posted this every year for the past 3 years and one last time before disappearing into the black hole that is residency, here it is...

In a (most likely, once again, futile) attempt to provide clarity/ease fears, here are some personal observations after 4 years of school and some work in the admissions office.

-If you have a GPA, especially sGPA, above 3.0, you are good
-if you have an MCAT above 25 you are good
-if you have one of the above, but not the other, take your GPA times 10 and add it to your MCAT. If that number is above 52 and your sGPA is above 2.7 and your MCATis above 22, you are probably good to beinterviewed just make sure you kill thatinterview.
-If you have neither 3.0 nor 25, the 52 rule is still probably a decent predictor, still.

Cold Hard Facts:

-If your undergrad sGPA is below 2.7, it will be EXTREMELY hard for you to handle the curriculum at ANY school of ANY kind of medicine. Not impossible, but you will have to work your tail off in a way you never have before.
-If your MCAT is below 22, you will quitepossibly have trouble passing boards, given that it is a standardized test, if nothing else. Also, cannot speak for other schools butMCAT 22 is the stated minimum for Kent (I know there are exceptions you mayknow/have heard from friends of friends of friends, just reading off the handbook here, people).
-If you have done a ton of research/EC's in undergrad, that is great and admissionspeople love to see it and you should do them BUT, GPA and MCAT are decent enough predictors of med school success and if you're scoring low on MCAT's and getting more C's than anything else, you need to really be honest with yourself and think if you're going to be able to handle a 20+ credit hour/semester all science curriculum.
EC'S DO NOT MAKE UP FOR POOR NUMBERS, THEY BOLSTER ALREADY STRONG NUMBERS.
-Recognize that numbers of any kind thatare thrown around by admissions officesare easily manipulated. Recognize also that admissions offices are part HR department and part marketing department. Choose the school at which you feel that you personally fit in the best.

Thank you. Good luck to all!