This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you guys could tell me my chances honestly I'd be really grateful. Ive been out of school for 2 years, and messed up some in college but I want to turn my life around. I'm planning to apply to pod school next year in August. If you guys could tell me my chances I'd be grateful.

Schools: Scholl would be my top choice, but Im going to apply to all of the schools.

cGPA-3.2
sGPA-3.0

MCAT- Taking it in April, but on my practice tests I've been around 505 pretty reliably.

Currently shadowing a podiatrist. 30 hours down so far.

Lots of biology/biochemistry research, lots of volunteering on record with room for more.

So, my basic question is do I have a shot as is, or I am I deluding myself. Would I need a post bacc/masters to even come close?

Honestly just get a solid MCAT score and have super awesome interviews and you should have no problem getting into at least one school. The GPA's aren't too great, so a solid MCAT will help you out a lot. Those other grad programs wouldn't hurt if they could bring up your GPA some. To say whether or not you have a shot, I'd say that primarily depends on what you get in April - but that's quite a while to have the application sitting around for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

If you guys could tell me my chances honestly I'd be really grateful. Ive been out of school for 2 years, and messed up some in college but I want to turn my life around. I'm planning to apply to pod school next year in August. If you guys could tell me my chances I'd be grateful.

Schools: Scholl would be my top choice, but Im going to apply to all of the schools.

cGPA-3.2
sGPA-3.0

MCAT- Taking it in April, but on my practice tests I've been around 505 pretty reliably.

Lots of biology/biochemistry research, lots of volunteering on record with room for more.

So, my basic question is do I have a shot as is, or I am I deluding myself. Would I need a post bacc/masters to even come close?
Just keep in mind that AACPMAS counts all coursework with no forgiveness policy. If you did retakes, they'll count the original and retake GPAs. That may drop your GPAs some since I think most undergrads have forgiveness policies.

So your GPAs are already pretty low and the sGPA is especially concerning. You probably won't run into any autorejections, so they should all at least give your whole application a review. Your greatest strength here will be your MCAT. Don't settle for your 505. 505 is high for pod school but the MCAT is gonna be your only hope of getting accepted. If you can actually score a 505, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. If you can score higher than 505, I'm sure you'll get multiple acceptances and have a much better shot at one actually being from Scholl. You've got this! Just keep your head in the game and obliterate the MCAT.

cGPA-3.2
sGPA-3.0

What practice exams have you taken?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep in mind that AACPMAS counts all coursework with no forgiveness policy. If you did retakes, they'll count the original and retake GPAs. That may drop your GPAs some since I think most undergrads have forgiveness policies.

So your GPAs are already pretty low and the sGPA is especially concerning. You probably won't run into any autorejections, so they should all at least give your whole application a review. Your greatest strength here will be your MCAT. Don't settle for your 505. 505 is high for pod school but the MCAT is gonna be your only hope of getting accepted. If you can actually score a 505, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. If you can score higher than 505, I'm sure you'll get multiple acceptances and have a much better shot at one actually being from Scholl. You've got this! Just keep your head in the game and obliterate the MCAT.
I haven't retaken anything, so thats as low as it's getting. I haven't gotten a C- in anything so I wouldn't be auto rejected on those grounds. Would retaking something like orgo be beneficial just to prove myself or would taking extra classes like micro/anatomy/immunology to raise my GPA be more beneficial?

I haven't retaken anything, so thats as low as it's getting. I haven't gotten a C- in anything so I wouldn't be auto rejected on those grounds. Would retaking something like orgo be beneficial just to prove myself or would taking extra classes like micro/anatomy/immunology to raise my GPA be more beneficial?
If it were me, I would say that the hours and hours you could spend sitting in classes trying to get your GPA up would be better spent studying for the MCAT. With however many credits we all have, taking a few extra classes will have a very small impact on overall GPA. Whereas I'd bet putting that much effort towards the MCAT could net you a few more points.

Also, Temple's incoming scholarships are weighted 2/3 toward MCAT and 1/3 toward GPA, not not sure how the other schools look at MCAT vs GPA but I'm sure MCAT is at least as important as GPA in their eyes. Forget the GPA, move forward and put all effort into the MCAT. That's what I would do.

Reactions: 1 user

If it were me, I would say that the hours and hours you could spend sitting in classes trying to get your GPA up would be better spent studying for the MCAT. With however many credits we all have, taking a few extra classes will have a very small impact on overall GPA. Whereas I'd bet putting that much effort towards the MCAT could net you a few more points.
I second this completely. It can be extremely boring studying for the MCAT when it is that far out, but it's worth it. If you are scoring 505 consistently, then 5-6 months is plenty of time to figure out a strategy and learn the material enough to score higher. Taking more classes would just take away from precious MCAT study time.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Not sure yet.
2. 3.8/3.9
3. 508
4. Not much at the moment. Looking to shadow.
5. A lot. over 500 hours of clinical experience.
6. ~200 medical hours, ~600 non-medical.

1. Not sure yet.
2. 3.8/3.9
3. 508
4. Not much at the moment. Looking to shadow.
5. A lot. over 500 hours of clinical experience.
6. ~200 medical hours, ~600 non-medical.

Based on your history, it looks like you already received an acceptance from a DO school. May I ask what made you interested in Podiatry?

In terms of stats, you are fine. Make sure you shadow a podiatrist and see if this is the profession you want to change to.

Based on your history, it looks like you already received an acceptance from a DO school. May I ask what made you interested in Podiatry?

In terms of stats, you are fine. Make sure you shadow a podiatrist and see if this is the profession you want to change to.
Just weighing all my options. Honestly not much experience with podiatry but the medical/surgical components seemed cool. Probably too late in the game anyway.

Just weighing all my options. Honestly not much experience with podiatry but the medical/surgical components seemed cool. Probably too late in the game anyway.

It's actually not too late. Most schools have priority deadlines in April/May. Of course, schools with <50 seats might be an issue, but you should be fine overall. If you really want to apply, start shadowing soon and submit apps as soon as you can.

1. Schools you are applying to
My main schools of interest are New York and Temple (Philadelphia). I'd prefer to stay in the Northeast so I am able to stay relatively close to family.

cGPA/sGPA
My cGPA is 2.70 in college, with a sGPA of 2.49
Needless to say, I retook a good deal of those science courses at CC plus a few extra where I got a sGPA of 3.74, which bumped up my overall sGPA to around a 2.84.

Those are the grades during my undergrad, but I am wondering if I should include my grades from a certificate program I did for vascular technology. Offhand I know I got a 3.8 or so, and it was full of biology courses, mainly dealing with vasculature.

3. MCAT Score
27: 10 Bio, 9 Verbal, 8 Physics. Don't know if I need to retake due to age, this score was from when I took it in December 2011.

4. Podiatry Experience
None so far...is lack of shadowing a deal breaker?

Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
Worked 1.5 years as a vascular tech, performing diagnostic exams on veins and arteries including those in the lower extremities.

Volunteering
Organic chemistry research when I was in CC, but I haven't done much else in recent years due to school and work.

Recently became interested in podiatry, so I'm fairly new to all this. Thanks in advance to all who comment, it is greatly appreciated!

My main schools of interest are New York and Temple (Philadelphia). I'd prefer to stay in the Northeast so I am able to stay relatively close to family.

cGPA/sGPA
Needless to say, I retook a good deal of those science courses at CC plus a few extra where I got a sGPA of 3.74, which bumped up my overall sGPA to around a 2.84.

Those are the grades during my undergrad, but I am wondering if I should include my grades from a certificate program I did for vascular technology. Offhand I know I got a 3.8 or so, and it was full of biology courses, mainly dealing with vasculature.

3. MCAT Score
27: 10 Bio, 9 Verbal, 8 Physics. Don't know if I need to retake due to age, this score was from when I took it in December 2011.

4. Podiatry Experience

Worked 1.5 years as a vascular tech, performing diagnostic exams on veins and arteries including those in the lower extremities.

Volunteering
Organic chemistry research when I was in CC, but I haven't done much else in recent years due to school and work.

Recently became interested in podiatry, so I'm fairly new to all this. Thanks in advance to all who comment, it is greatly appreciated!
I would definitely include your grades from the vascular program. Your undergrad grades alone probably wouldn't be enough to get you accepted and you might get screened out at a couple of schools. You need to get some shadowing hours as most schools require a letter of rec from a podiatrist. Your MCAT score is solid so no worries there

cGPA/sGPA

3. MCAT Score

4. Podiatry Experience

Volunteering

Basically, everything Podman16 said. I'm not sure how hard they would weigh the certificate program, but you should add it regardless.

Also, you will have to retake the MCAT. It is a good score, but it's past the 3 year mark, making it obsolete.

Members don't see this ad :)

cGPA/sGPA

3. MCAT Score

4. Podiatry Experience

Volunteering

Great MCAT but I believe every school requires a retake if its more than 3 years old. NYCPM and Temple may give you acceptance contingent on a retake since your score is good but the GPAs may be an issue to even get that offer.

Thanks for the three above replies! I guess my plan would be to find a podiatrist to shadow, and retake the MCAT sometime within the next few months.

Based on what I read, I think that the application cycle just started? Given these issues, would I still be able to apply for this cycle? I would rather not rush on my end, but I would like to know if it is possible.

Thanks for the three above replies! I guess my plan would be to find a podiatrist to shadow, and retake the MCAT sometime within the next few months.

Based on what I read, I think that the application cycle just started? Given these issues, would I still be able to apply for this cycle? I would rather not rush on my end, but I would like to know if it is possible.
Applications run from August through June, so you still have time to apply if you take the MCAT at the beginning of next year sometime. The only thing is that the schools with less seats are more likely to fill up sooner, so you'll have a better chance at bigger schools with more seats . But it's definitely doable despite this! One of the girls I met at the school in Arizona ,which has ~30 seats, was accepted in May of the year she went in. That's an extreme case, but goes to show you that they do sometimes fill up throughout to the end of the cycle.

Schools you are applying to
2. cGPA/sGPA
3. MCAT Score
4. Podiatry Experience
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
6. Volunteering
  1. All
  2. 3.3/3.3
  3. 492
  4. Shadowed 1 5 times
  5. Shadowed MDs and DOs multiple times
  6. ER volunteering and a bunch more other stuff
Should be pointed out I'm also the student body secretary, a finance major, part of the honors college, 3 sport collegiate athlete

Schools you are applying to
2. cGPA/sGPA
3. MCAT Score
4. Podiatry Experience
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable)
6. Volunteering
  1. All
  2. 3.3/3.3
  3. 492
  4. Shadowed 1 5 times
  5. Shadowed MDs and DOs multiple times
  6. ER volunteering and a bunch more other stuff
Should be pointed out I'm also the student body secretary, a finance major, part of the honors college, 3 sport collegiate athlete

I hope I can help you out a little with this. It seems to me all your stats look great, with the exception of a slightly below average MCAT. However, with that said I was accepted at both DMU and Scholl with a 19 MCAT (Old scale), I did have a 23 but that was over the three year time frame. I believe if you applied ASAP you should be able to get at least a couple of interviews, especially with the amount of extracurricular activities you have as well.

Also I am guessing you have taken all the required pre-req courses even though you are a finance major?

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good Luck!

I hope I can help you out a little with this. It seems to me all your stats look great, with the exception of a slightly below average MCAT. However, with that said I was accepted at both DMU and Scholl with a 19 MCAT (Old scale), I did have a 23 but that was over the three year time frame. I believe if you applied ASAP you should be able to get at least a couple of interviews, especially with the amount of extracurricular activities you have as well.

Also I am guessing you have taken all the required pre-req courses even though you are a finance major?

Let me know if you have any other questions! Good Luck!

I got 3 so far NYCPM, CSPM, KSUCPM
rejected from temple
scholl and barry havent heard back yet
azpod waitlisted for an interview
Western they want to see my fall grades

I got 3 so far NYCPM, CSPM, KSUCPM
rejected from temple
scholl and barry havent heard back yet
azpod waitlisted for an interview
Western they want to see my fall grades

That's awesome, glad to hear you were able to land not only one interview but three! Take advantage of the interview feedback within this forum, it helped a tremendous amount in regards to being prepared for a list of potential questions. Did you also apply to DMU as well?

It's funny, I also applied to Kent and they sent me a rejection for my interview based solely on the fact that my MCAT was not at their minimal level (even though I read it was an 18) of 20. I am really curious what is going with the admissions over there. Either way I am sure you will do quite well at one of those schools!

MCAT: 26
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.31

3 diff hospital volunteering and community volunteering.

At this stage in the cycle, would i be competitive anywhere?

MCAT: 26
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.31

3 diff hospital volunteering and community volunteering.

At this stage in the cycle, would i be competitive anywhere?
You would be competitive everywhere, but that won't matter if the seats are all filled. You still have time, but not a lot, so hurry up and apply! The whole application and verification process can take a while.

You would be competitive everywhere, but that won't matter if the seats are all filled. You still have time, but not a lot, so hurry up and apply! The whole application and verification process can take a while.
He'll be.... WaitingForever.

He'll be.... WaitingForever.
See.png

So....I could use some opinions on my chances and just some general advice. I'm currently a pre-med student in the middle of applying to DO schools and still have yet to hear from a few schools (one waitlist and a few rejections). Well my wife just finished her scrub tech license and has worked with a few podiatrists recently and talked about how much she liked the cases and the docs she worked with. I honestly didn't know it was a separate application system until earlier this year so I hadn't looked into it but after she brought it up I started researching.

I have become super interested in podiatry and am wondering if it may be too late in the cycle to bother. This isn't a replacement or a backup for med school, it's just another option that I'm interested in. I'm certainly willing to put in the work to get the apps done if I still have a shot this cycle. I'm assuming I can just transfer all my experiences etc from my med school app and just tailor them a tiny bit to podiatry, so it shouldn't be a ton of work hopefully. Correct me if I'm wrong with that. I have a friend at Midwestern (AZ Pod? New to the school names and stuff) and after talking with him for a while I got some feedback but would love some input from here. Here's my stats....

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.27 (both GPA's should be going up at the end of this semester assuming I don't choke)
MCAT: 501
Experiences: ~400 hours at a Physical Therapy clinic (all hands on patient care), 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, 25 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist (all were observing surgeries), ~300 hours working as a phone operator in the hospital (not clinical but a good insight into healthcare and hospitals), Student Coordinator on Service Council last year, VP of Service Council this year, 2 year LDS Mission, 3 semesters of research and will be continuing next semester.

I've a few podiatrists say I could shadow them so I'm hoping to be able to do that over Christmas break and get a letter since I figure that will be my biggest weakness.

My first choice would be Midwestern but thinking about applying to Midwestern, DMU, Western, and Barry. Any advice/opinions? Anything is appreciated as I am a total noob right now. I'll continue to research but wanted to throw this out there.

So....I could use some opinions on my chances and just some general advice. I'm currently a pre-med student in the middle of applying to DO schools and still have yet to hear from a few schools (one waitlist and a few rejections). Well my wife just finished her scrub tech license and has worked with a few podiatrists recently and talked about how much she liked the cases and the docs she worked with. I honestly didn't know it was a separate application system until earlier this year so I hadn't looked into it but after she brought it up I started researching.

I have become super interested in podiatry and am wondering if it may be too late in the cycle to bother. This isn't a replacement or a backup for med school, it's just another option that I'm interested in. I'm certainly willing to put in the work to get the apps done if I still have a shot this cycle. I'm assuming I can just transfer all my experiences etc from my med school app and just tailor them a tiny bit to podiatry, so it shouldn't be a ton of work hopefully. Correct me if I'm wrong with that. I have a friend at Midwestern (AZ Pod? New to the school names and stuff) and after talking with him for a while I got some feedback but would love some input from here. Here's my stats....

sGPA: 3.27 (both GPA's should be going up at the end of this semester assuming I don't choke)
Experiences: ~400 hours at a Physical Therapy clinic (all hands on patient care), 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, 25 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist (all were observing surgeries), ~300 hours working as a phone operator in the hospital (not clinical but a good insight into healthcare and hospitals), Student Coordinator on Service Council last year, VP of Service Council this year, 2 year LDS Mission, 3 semesters of research and will be continuing next semester.

I've a few podiatrists say I could shadow them so I'm hoping to be able to do that over Christmas break and get a letter since I figure that will be my biggest weakness.

My first choice would be Midwestern but thinking about applying to Midwestern, DMU, Western, and Barry. Any advice/opinions? Anything is appreciated as I am a total noob right now. I'll continue to research but wanted to throw this out there.
For starters you have a ton of great experience! The only thing lacking In the EC department is the fact you don't have any podiatry experience yet. So I would advise shadowing right away! Most schools require a letter of rec from a podiatrist, Midwestern is the only school that I know of that doesn't actually require one. If you were really serious about it I would submit the application ASAP. it is only going to become more competitive as the cycle continues. You have a solid mcat but your gpa is probably a little on the low side for Midwestern and DMU. So I guess my advice would be to submit the application and start shadowing, you can always add experiences to your application as you wait for it to be verified. I would say that if you got everything in quickly that you would have a fair shot at an acceptance somewhere!

You have a shot at all the schools listed. The schools with the smaller classes are getting a little more competitive so it might be best to apply within the next few weeks. You can submit your app and some schools will offer interviews before you have completed your LOR from a DPM.

so would i have to contact admissions and what kind of DAT would they be looking for?
I'm not sure, so you should definitely contact their admissions office. The college information book, if you Google Podiatry information book 2015, says that Temple is the only one that accepts it and it's on a case by case basis.

does temple still accept dats for this cycle?

Idk, I contacted Temple a while back to see if they accept DAT scores, but admissions told me they will no longer take DAT starting this cycle. Maybe someone else might give you a different answer.

they said they dont nemore :( now im wasting another year cuz i have to take the mcats

they said they dont nemore :( now im wasting another year cuz i have to take the mcats
If you weren't able to get into dental school you may need to consider if a medical profession is something for you. Podiatry school is hard and you wouldn't want to skim by your first and second year only to fail boards and be in a lot of debt. You can still sign up for the MCAT, take it, apply and get an interview this cycle. There are still plenty of seats at schools with a larger class size.

This is bull****... I had gotten an F in cal which was removed from my transcript after academic renewal after some process.. Why is it showing on my pod application and it is affecting my GPA or going into CAS grade

I called the school, and they said that it will show, but it should not be factored in the GPA.. and that grade should not be factored...

Fall 2011 Sophomore
COURSE CODE COURSE TITLE SUBJECT CREDITS GRADE CAS GRADE

MATH 16A CALCULUS SOCIAL/LIFE SCIENCES Calculus 4.0 GRADE F CAS grade F

IS this a mistake? should I call the pod application? wth...

piglets

Im so worried...

This is bull****... I had gotten an F in cal which was removed from my transcript after academic renewal after some process.. Why is it showing on my pod application and it is affecting my GPA or going into CAS grade

I called the school, and they said that it will show, but it should not be factored in the GPA.. and that grade should not be factored...

Fall 2011 Sophomore
COURSE CODE COURSE TITLE SUBJECT CREDITS GRADE CAS GRADE

MATH 16A CALCULUS SOCIAL/LIFE SCIENCES Calculus 4.0 GRADE F CAS grade F

IS this a mistake? should I call the pod application? wth...

piglets

Im so worried...
Interesting situation.

How much does it bring you down?
Anything the AAPCPM sees they will calculate into your GPA. Your school probably thinks the pod app is the same as the MD/DO app, which it is not. You can call and ask AACPM what they need to have the grade removed from your record. Maybe take a few breathes and gather your thoughts before calling so you don't get even more frustrated.

i do not see any gpa calculations on the aacpm site tho...
where do i see my stats? i just see grade.. no gpa

i do not see any gpa calculations on the aacpm site tho...
where do i see my stats? i just see grade.. no gpa
They used to have GPA calculations on your downloadable application. Don't see them there anymore, at least not on mine. That's stupid and I don't know what you can do about it. You can call them to get the calculations maybe, but they calculate like 20 different GPAs so that would be a pretty cumbersome conversation.

Like SLCpod said, AACPMAS doesn't have a grade forgiveness policy like the DO application process or most undergraduate institutions do. I think it would be very difficult to actually have a grade completely removed from your transcript through any kind of "renewal" or forgiveness process. It's on your record because you took it, that simple. Your university probably just assumes that AACPMAS won't count it because they're not counting it. Sadly, if it shows up on your transcript, AACPMAS counts it. So if you had a past "F" in calculus and then retook it for an "A", standard procedure for AACPMAS would be to average them both into your GPA. Furthermore, I doubt that there's any way that AACPMAS would remove that for you. If there were a process to have AACPMAS remove grades that we don't want wouldn't we all be doing it already? Your only hope would be to talk your university into removing it completely, then resending it and somehow hoping that you can convince AACPMAS to void the one you already sent them.

Overall, that sounds like it would take a looong time and probably not actually work out anyway. You should maybe just cross your fingers and hope that whatever AACPMAS calculates for your GPAs is good enough.

thats ****ed up... F*** MY LIFE

Last edited by a moderator:

I got an interview to every school except Barry/Scholl without a DPM LOR, I just made sure to have it in before my interviews because it ended up helping me a ton. Apply ASAP, then shadow/get a letter in the next month or two and you should have a shot at school's with large classes.

I got an interview to every school except Barry/Scholl without a DPM LOR, I just made sure to have it in before my interviews because it ended up helping me a ton. Apply ASAP, then shadow/get a letter in the next month or two and you should have a shot at school's with large classes.

Awesome thanks for the help! Do AACPMAS or Pod Schools accept retakes? I just realized the GPA I posted includes some retakes so my GPA may be lower if they don't allow for retakes. I'll get working on those apps and get them in. Is there a website that has the class sizes and school info listed? I'm new to this and would like to be able to research myself and not just have to ask on here every time I have a question.

Awesome thanks for the help! Do AACPMAS or Pod Schools accept retakes? I just realized the GPA I posted includes some retakes so my GPA may be lower if they don't allow for retakes. I'll get working on those apps and get them in. Is there a website that has the class sizes and school info listed? I'm new to this and would like to be able to research myself and not just have to ask on here every time I have a question.
Here's the 2015-2016 handbook with a lot of relevant information in one place that will be helpful and also provides a really good snapshot of each school: http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf
Additionally, this link takes you to a page with links to each school's website: http://www.aacpm.org/html/collegelinks/cl_schools.asp

This should give you a good start. And from what I understand they end up averaging your scores if you retook some classes, so your actual science or overall GPA probably is a bit lower if that's the case. Definitely post any questions you have though! I've seen that this is a really good community that is looking to help others out with pretty much any question posed.

Last edited:
After a long process and even taking the DAT it is what made me decide podiatry is a better fit. I have no desire to stare into a mouth all day. One thing that always pushed me away was the 7 years. I mean I will not be out of residency until I am 32 or 33. Is it still worth it?

I likely won't apply until next cycle because I have yet to take the MCAT. Or should I try to take the January test and get what I need?

Stats:
3.75 oGPA
3.75 sGPA
Ton of work experience and volunteer hours
Good letters of rec
Still need to take MCAT

After a long process and even taking the DAT it is what made me decide podiatry is a better fit. I have no desire to stare into a mouth all day. One thing that always pushed me away was the 7 years. I mean I will not be out of residency until I am 32 or 33. Is it still worth it?

I likely won't apply until next cycle because I have yet to take the MCAT. Or should I try to take the January test and get what I need?

Stats:
3.75 oGPA
3.75 sGPA
Good letters of rec
Still need to take MCAT
With your GPAs you still have a shot at scooping up any leftover spots towards the end of the cycle. If time really is a concern for you, then what's the harm in taking the MCAT in January and applying this cycle? If nothing else, you'll at least get familiar with the application process and have your MCAT behind you so that you'll have a leg up on everyone else for next cycle.

I applied to Temple within the last month of the last cycle, so around June. I got an interview. I canceled before I went but it would've been for the wait list. So if I would've made the list and someone would've dropped out I might've taken their place in the previous class. Also, if you're wait listed, at least at Temple, then your guaranteed a seat in the class of the following cycle. So at that point, you'll basically be getting two chances at getting in next cycle plus a chance at getting in this cycle. Should you pass up that advantage?

Think 6 weeks is enough to get ready for the MCAT?

Which schools do you think I would have a shot at this late?

Think 6 weeks is enough to get ready for the MCAT?

Which schools do you think I would have a shot at this late?

Six weeks may or may not be enough, depending on your fundamental knowledge and standardized test taking skills. What I would recommend is study for the MCAT pick a particular date, register, but really pay attention to your baseline practice test scores. If they are in the range of mid 20's to high 20's then it may be worth while to continue studying, take the exam and apply. With the rest of your credentials, as bob said, I think you would have a decent shot at filling the last seats available at some of the larger schools.

If time isn't an issue and you can take another gap year, then spend another month studying, take a later test date and be ready to apply the first day of the cycle next year. This way you have the ability to apply to all schools and stand a better chance at choosing one that would fit your situation and needs. My opinion it's better to wait a year, especially since it's already December, and hit the next application cycle with everything, including a fresh new MCAT.

Six weeks may or may not be enough, depending on your fundamental knowledge and standardized test taking skills. What I would recommend is study for the MCAT pick a particular date, register, but really pay attention to your baseline practice test scores. If they are in the range of mid 20's to high 20's then it may be worth while to continue studying, take the exam and apply. With the rest of your credentials, as bob said, I think you would have a decent shot at filling the last seats available at some of the larger schools.

If time isn't an issue and you can take another gap year, then spend another month studying, take a later test date and be ready to apply the first day of the cycle next year. This way you have the ability to apply to all schools and stand a better chance at choosing one that would fit your situation and needs. My opinion it's better to wait a year, especially since it's already December, and hit the next application cycle with everything, including a fresh new MCAT.
I agree with this. I don't much about pod applications, but I know you're not setting yourself up well if you only study for 6 weeks. Is it possible to do well? Yes. Is it likely you'll get the best score you can? No.

Just some quick info about the new exam, it's not on the typical 3-45 scale like the old one, but rather 472-528. A lot of the practice exams out currently are really deflated, so if you're scoring ~490 on those I think it's reasonable to expect to score around 500. Practice exams for the new test aren't a very good gauge of your actual score though. There is one AAMC FL out currently that will give you a score, which is probably your best bet to get an accurate gauge.

Stats:
3.75 oGPA
3.75 sGPA
Good letters of rec
Still need to take MCAT

How's your pod shadowing experience? You'll need some of that. Just my 2 cents.... If you have pod shadowing experience, then you definitely have a shot this year. It'll be really hard to study for the MCAT in a short amount of time, but it's doable. If I were you, if I think I had a shot this year, I'd go for it. Buckle down and destroy the MCAT.

If you don't have any pod shadowing experience, then I'd wait till next cycle. Take this year off to study for the MCAT, get a good score for good scholarships, and you'll be great for next year. Go shadow some pods, maybe do a podiatry internship with one of the schools. Get a job (if you don't already have one) and build up $$$ till you leave for podiatry school

My shadowing is good. Have worked full time through school as well.

I'm thinking with DAT stuff still fresh pulling off what I need for the MCAT (495-500?) may be pretty doable even now. I figure 6 weeks to nail down physics and get the general feel for the exam and passages should be enough.

Start busting through EK books and passages and hope for the best?

My shadowing is good. Have worked full time through school as well.

I'm thinking with DAT stuff still fresh pulling off what I need for the MCAT (495-500?) may be pretty doable even now. I figure 6 weeks to nail down physics and get the general feel for the exam and passages should be enough.

Start busting through EK books and passages and hope for the best?
If I'm being honest just get the most high yield physics concepts down and don't spend so much time on that particular subject. It's not a huge focus on this new MCAT. I'd worry most about changing the way you think and how to approach the critical analysis and reasoning section. I think if you have a very solid base on your sciences you could have a shot to pull this off. But from what I understand the DAT is pretty much just a science based test and not a critical thinking test like the MCAT. It's a total monster in that regard. Also, I'd recommend not putting too much stock in your AAMC FL. I scored 91st percentile on my last full length in the CARS section and ended up being around 50th on my actual MCAT. Again this could differ wildly from anyone else. I might have choked.