This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it pretty hard to get in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I mean that is a little difficult to say without knowing your stats. I'd say if they are giving you an interview then your chances are good pending your "normal" enough :). Just be yourself and have lots of questions. Everyone wants to make sure you don't leave without wondering anything. Its been my top choice so far and I've interviewed at most of the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean that is a little difficult to say without knowing your stats. I'd say if they are giving you an interview then your chances are good pending your "normal" enough :). Just be yourself and have lots of questions. Everyone wants to make sure you don't leave without wondering anything. Its been my top choice so far and I've interviewed at most of the schools.
Did you interview for nycpm?

Dr. Trans is the man. I loved my interview at CSPM. I don't know how full the class is yet. I think more people would want to attend if it wasn't so expensive when taking into account the cost of living. I'm still interviewing at other schools so I haven't quite made my decision but I'm def leaning towards attending it.

Interesting, is the cost of living in Oakland really that bad? I know the Bay Area is expensive but particularly over towards San Fran. I was under the impression that places in Oakland were a good amount cheaper. I'm from NYC so I'm no stranger to overpriced apartments, just thought Oakland was a tad cheaper.

Side Note: In case anyone is still wondering on whether to apply or not, I got a call from a student at TUSPM yesterday discussing my upcoming interview. I asked her about the remaining open spots in the upcoming class, she said that the upcoming Fall class is only 50-60% full, so it looks like there is still room for anyone thinking of applying even though it is getting kind of late in the cycle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I know I'm a little late in the game, but I'm wondering where I should apply this late. I'd like to apply to Kent and Temple, but not sure where else.
-CGPA: 3.3 (i haven't actually calculated it fully yet, but I hear it's different with pod than DO. With DO app it was a 3.5)
-SGPA: 3.1-3.2
MCAT: 24

I did an internship for 4 months with an Orthopedic surgeon, shadowed a DO hand surgeon, otolaryngologist, and a podiatrist.
I currently volunteer at our regional hospital in the emergency room. I've had 3 interviews at DO schools and still waiting for the decision of the third interview, but I think I would also be happy doing podiatry, so I want to get that started. I also have non-medical volunteer experience at the Family Crisis Center and World Congress of Families.

So I know I'm a little late in the game, but I'm wondering where I should apply this late. I'd like to apply to Kent and Temple, but not sure where else.
-CGPA: 3.3 (i haven't actually calculated it fully yet, but I hear it's different with pod than DO. With DO app it was a 3.5)

I did an internship for 4 months with an Orthopedic surgeon, shadowed a DO hand surgeon, otolaryngologist, and a podiatrist.
I currently volunteer at our regional hospital in the emergency room. I've had 3 interviews at DO schools and still waiting for the decision of the third interview, but I think I would also be happy doing podiatry, so I want to get that started. I also have non-medical volunteer experience at the Family Crisis Center and World Congress of Families.
I would definitely apply to the bigger schools if you could, I think you could getting easily. I heard temple is about 60%-80% full.

You have a good shot at any of the schools. At this point you have to decided which ones you should apply to.

Curious about my chances of getting into Podiatry school. I graduate in the spring but in the fall I am participating in a study abroad in Europe and will not back until late December- leave late August. I love podiatry. I have worked for a private practice podiatrist from 6 months now-part time. I played division 2 football and was 3 time all conference. I have completed over 1000 hrs of lab work (500 in hospital and 500 chemical research), plus 250 hrs volunteering with athletic training staff. I am a registered EMT-B. I have shadowed several surgeries, and several doctors.

cGPA 3.55

sGPA 3.31

MCAT have not taken yet

I guess in the end my biggest question is, will I be too late applying in January or February next year with my stats?

Curious about my chances of getting into Podiatry school. I graduate in the spring but in the fall I am participating in a study abroad in Europe and will not back until late December- leave late August. I love podiatry. I have worked for a private practice podiatrist from 6 months now-part time. I played division 2 football and was 3 time all conference. I have completed over 1000 hrs of lab work (500 in hospital and 500 chemical research), plus 250 hrs volunteering with athletic training staff. I am a registered EMT-B. I have shadowed several surgeries, and several doctors.

cGPA 3.55

sGPA 3.31

MCAT have not taken yet

I guess in the end my biggest question is, will I be too late applying in January or February next year with my stats?
Don't bomb the MCAT and you should be good! Just make sure you have everything turned in and try to get the interviews as soon as you get back, that should help increase your chances!

Should I wait to apply?
sGPA: 2.8
GPA: 3.1

I just applied with a sGPA- 3.04 cGPA- 3.15 and MCAT- 501 (25-26ish?) and have gotten three interviews so far. That 2.8 is the biggest difference so I'm not sure how schools look at that....might be too low...I feel like I have strong EC's so if you have those as well it may be worth a shot if you're not picky about where you end up. The best option may be to get everything ready and submit day 1 next cycle.

I just applied with a sGPA- 3.04 cGPA- 3.15 and MCAT- 501 (25-26ish?) and have gotten three interviews so far. That 2.8 is the biggest difference so I'm not sure how schools look at that....might be too low...I feel like I have strong EC's so if you have those as well it may be worth a shot if you're not picky about where you end up. The best option may be to get everything ready and submit day 1 next cycle.
I'm sorry we(MSU) beat you guys(UofM). Better luck next time ;). Anyway I agree with what truewolverine say I have similar stats and pretty much everyone told me to wait for next cycle. In the meantime try to build some sick EC's with our GPA's really low they are sometimes the ultimate deciding factor. Btw what were you EC's if you don't mind sharing true wolverine.

I'm sorry we(MSU) beat you guys(UofM). Better luck next time ;). Anyway I agree with what truewolverine say I have similar stats and pretty much everyone told me to wait for next cycle. In the meantime try to build some sick EC's with our GPA's really low they are sometimes the ultimate deciding factor. Btw what were you EC's if you don't mind sharing true wolverine.

Ah yeah that loss still stings....and probably will forever haha

Extracurriculars: ~400 hours at a Physical Therapy clinic (all hands on patient care), 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, 25 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist (all were observing surgeries), ~20 hours shadowing a podiatrist (ongoing), ~300 hours working as a phone operator in the hospital (not clinical but a good insight into healthcare and hospitals), Student Coordinator on Service Council last year, VP of Service Council this year, 2 year LDS Mission, 3.5 semesters of research (still going)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I was wondering what my chances are for any of the 9 podiatry schools! I have been accepted to a few carribean medical schools (St. George, AUC, Saba, and Ross) because I originally wanted to become a physician. But, recently I started to shadow a podiatrist and I have grown to really enjoy it. I have all of my transcripts, mcat scores, and LOR together. However, I am worried that I am applying too late and that my scores are unsatisfactory. So, I was wondering if anyone had any advice and what my chances are for this next fall! Thank you so much!
1. Schools you are applying to: ALL OF THEM!
2. cGPA/sGPA: 3.047 (cGPA)/ 2.70 (sGPA)
3. MCAT Score: I took it twice. The first time: 19M (V: 07, PS: 04, B:08) The second time: 22M (V: 11, PS:07, B: 04)
4. Podiatry Experience: I have shadowed at a podiatry residency program (so far only a few times).
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable): I have volunteered at a hospital for a few years, worked at an internal medicine office for 2 years, and volunteered at a OBGyn office for one year.
6. Volunteering: (above)
Hey I noticed you had similar stats to mine, any luck with DPM schools?

Ah yeah that loss still stings....and probably will forever haha

Extracurriculars: ~400 hours at a Physical Therapy clinic (all hands on patient care), 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, 25 hours shadowing an anesthesiologist (all were observing surgeries), ~20 hours shadowing a podiatrist (ongoing), ~300 hours working as a phone operator in the hospital (not clinical but a good insight into healthcare and hospitals), Student Coordinator on Service Council last year, VP of Service Council this year, 2 year LDS Mission, 3.5 semesters of research (still going)
Pretty impressive bud.

What are my chances at any of the nine schools this late?

GPA, including a Post-Bacc Masters program, ~3.0
MCAT 21
Lots of shadowing/research/volunteer experience - found a podiatrist who is willing to let me shadow him. Getting a letter though might take more time.

MCAT 21
Lots of shadowing/research/volunteer experience - found a podiatrist who is willing to let me shadow him. Getting a letter though might take more time.

Don't lump undergrad and master GPAs together. What's your sGPA and cGPA from undergrad? What's your GPA from masters?

Depending on your individual GPAs, you might have a chance at the bigger pod schools (Scholl, Kent state, Temple, and NYCPM). However, Scholl will keep you on hold until you have the rec letters sent to them.

MCAT 21
I had the same MCAT as you but significantly higher GPA (3.7 cum and 3.5 sci). I applied day 1 and got in to all schools I applied except 1. This late in the cycle, I cannot recommend you applying now with a MCAT and GPA that are below the averages of all schools. If you really really want to do podiatry, then I'd recommend building up your podiatry resume. By that I mean shadowing a ton and doing a podiatry internship this summer at one of the schools. If you show your dedication to the profession that can help overcome low stats. If you do what I recommend and apply day 1 next cycle, your changes will be much higher

An MCAT retake this summer will definetely help too

MCAT - 498
sGPA - 3.3
cGPA - 3.5

a good amount of the science classes were taken at a Community College (Physics, biochem, organic chemistry)
About 400 hours of hospital experience with 3 LoR.

I have an interview at kent on the 7th of March. How is it looking?

MCAT - 498
sGPA - 3.3
cGPA - 3.5

a good amount of the science classes were taken at a Community College (Physics, biochem, organic chemistry)
About 400 hours of hospital experience with 3 LoR.

I have an interview at kent on the 7th of March. How is it looking?

Your chances are good. Podiatry schools generally don't care if classes were taken at a community college. I am assuming you have shadowed a podiatrist. If so, don't do anything too terrible in the interview and you should have an acceptance. Good luck! :D

This is for my daughter, not sure if she is going to POD but her gpa is low for DO. I kept asking her to go to POD.
How is Samuel Marritt school?
Do POD avg rataken classes like DO or not?
Her DO gpa is
sGPA=3.25 (with few reckon classes)
CGPA=3.35
MCAT= 24 & 498
Lots of volunteer and working as a scribe.
She wants to stay in CA.

Is it still a time if she applies or its too late?
I looked at their website, it shows the last day to apply is 4/15.

This is for my daughter, not sure if she is going to POD but her gpa is low for DO. I kept asking her to go to POD.
How is Samuel Marritt school?
Do POD avg rataken classes like DO or not?
Her DO gpa is
sGPA=3.25 (with few reckon classes)
CGPA=3.35
MCAT= 24 & 498
Lots of volunteer and working as a scribe.
She wants to stay in CA.

Is it still a time if she applies or its too late?
I looked at their website, it shows the last day to apply is 4/15.
It's pretty late already for this cycle to just now begin the application process, but there's always a chance. Her best opportunity would be at the beginning of next cycle. DPM application service does not have a grade forgiveness policy like DO and undergraduate institutions. Could you recalculate her GPA with all courses included, originals and retakes?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Bleh, I'm still in the process of verifying my application, now I'm kind of worried...
Big difference between waiting to be verified and not having started...you're good

It's pretty late already for this cycle to just now begin the application process, but there's always a chance. Her best opportunity would be at the beginning of next cycle. DPM application service does not have a grade forgiveness policy like DO and undergraduate institutions. Could you recalculate her GPA with all courses included, originals and retakes?

Thanks for taking time to respond and not bashing on why parent is asking this.
After recalculating all of her originals and retakes, this is what her GPA is.
cGPA=3.2
sGPA=3.09 & 3.38 (non-science)

How's Samuel Merritt school in general?
Any accepted student going this year can give feedback.
I tried to look if there was any thread just for that school, haven't found any.
Thanks for your time.

Hello,

At the end of my undergrad career it looks like I'll have a 3.3 cGPA, 3.00 sGPA, and a 3.7 non-science GPA. Have not taken MCATs yet, but I assume they will be average - nothing spectacular (I'm bad at tests). I have extensive extracurriculars - clubs, 2 work study jobs, etc. I was wondering what my chances are and how much/how long I would need to shadow a podiatrist for to demonstrate interest and get a good feel for things?

Also, I've noticed that women are often in the minority in pod school, will that affect my chances (AKA is it a slight advantage to be female)?

Thanks so much! I'll be applying to all 9 schools when the time comes.

Hello,

At the end of my undergrad career it looks like I'll have a 3.3 cGPA, 3.00 sGPA, and a 3.7 non-science GPA. Have not taken MCATs yet, but I assume they will be average - nothing spectacular (I'm bad at tests). I have extensive extracurriculars - clubs, 2 work study jobs, etc. I was wondering what my chances are and how much/how long I would need to shadow a podiatrist for to demonstrate interest and get a good feel for things?

Also, I've noticed that women are often in the minority in pod school, will that affect my chances (AKA is it a slight advantage to be female)?

Thanks so much! I'll be applying to all 9 schools when the time comes.

Seems that looking at gender only, not taking stats into account, women are more likely to matriculate.

Matriculated.jpg

http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/2015 CIB.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
Been a lurker here for 2 years. Made an account to ask.

cGPA: 3.29
sGPA: 2.9 (very weak in chem/ochem year 2+3 of undergrad)
gGPA: 4.0 (still in process, will probably finish with 3.7-3.8)
MCAT: 488 (no prep), 493 (3 weeks to prep after Princeton review), retaking in June aiming for 498+

Worked at pod office for 3 years but mostly paperwork/insurance/filing. No direct contact with patients. 300-350 hrs of undergrad research. Currently volunteering with research as well as part time job while in grad school. Grad school is a Master's in Kinese but am taking courses such as Neurochem/Neurophys/perhaps biochem for electives (trying to emulate more difficult courses I'll see again as much as possible). Never taken summers or winters off, it was either winter/summer courses or work. Planning to retake MCAT, work, (currently work as a tutor for the school, love it and don't plan to stop), shadow a pod, take a class during Summer 2016 and Apply in August pending MCAT score.

Weakness right now is undergrad sGPA and extremely limited shadowing. MCAT fairly confident I can get to at least a 495. Standardized testing (or testing in general) has always been a weakness but I've figured out a way to study more diligently and just be more confident. Undergrad sGPAs were upward trend albeit small. Going all out for a 4.0 gGPA even if it doesn't mean much.

What are my chances? Be as brutal as you guys/gals want. Just looking to improve.

MCAT: 488 (no prep), 493 (3 weeks to prep after Princeton review), retaking in June aiming for 498+

Worked at pod office for 3 years but mostly paperwork/insurance/filing. No direct contact with patients. 300-350 hrs of undergrad research. Currently volunteering with research as well as part time job while in grad school. Grad school is a Master's in Kinese but am taking courses such as Neurochem/Neurophys/perhaps biochem for electives (trying to emulate more difficult courses I'll see again as much as possible). Never taken summers or winters off, it was either winter/summer courses or work. Planning to retake MCAT, work, (currently work as a tutor for the school, love it and don't plan to stop), shadow a pod, take a class during Summer 2016 and Apply in August pending MCAT score.

Weakness right now is undergrad sGPA and extremely limited shadowing. MCAT fairly confident I can get to at least a 495. Standardized testing (or testing in general) has always been a weakness but I've figured out a way to study more diligently and just be more confident. Undergrad sGPAs were upward trend albeit small. Going all out for a 4.0 gGPA even if it doesn't mean much.

What are my chances? Be as brutal as you guys/gals want. Just looking to improve.
I would think it shines through to committees for individuals who may have started their undergrad with a less than stellar performance and then ended their undergrad or their masters in a much better place, which seems to be the case for yourself. It shows positive growth in more ways than one. You've certainly stayed busy juggling part time jobs, research, and school, so that's always a plus. Personally, I think you're making all the right moves. Coupled with shadowing and a decent MCAT, I don't see why you wouldn't get interview invites!

I would think it shines through to committees for individuals who may have started their undergrad with a less than stellar performance and then ended their undergrad or their masters in a much better place, which seems to be the case for yourself. It shows positive growth in more ways than one. You've certainly stayed busy juggling part time jobs, research, and school, so that's always a plus. Personally, I think you're making all the right moves. Coupled with shadowing and a decent MCAT, I don't see why you wouldn't get interview invites!

Thank you. I see you've been accepted as a med student. God speed to you.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 17; 495
Resident of NY

P.S. Took me 4 attempts to do well in organic chemistry (F, F, C-, A).

ECs:
500 hours of hospital volunteering
150 hours of non-hospital volunteering

I'm in my last semester of undergrad. I took the new mcat, doing fairely well on practice exams (avg~505) but wasn't feeling well on my test day. I've only recently started considering podiatry schooling. Would I have a good chance of acceptance? Also, is it possible to apply now for admission in Fall 2016. Any advice would be appreciated.

I thought 495 was more of a 23.

Are you aware that podiatry doesn't do grade replacement?

Not a problem! It would help to know what your GPA is after your app is verified.

Are you aware that podiatry doesn't do grade replacement?

So I've seen this 3 times already and completely believe it. Sorry for high jacking the thread but I too failed chem2 with D then passed with C and failed ochem1 once with D then passed with C. Will this play a huge role in my app? MCAT was 488, 493, and am signed up to take it again for a higher score.

Having a couple F's and a C- is seriously going to tank your GPA when AACPM calculates your GPAs. Its going to be hard for a school to take a chance on an applicant to had to retake an undergrad class 4 times. Especially one like O Chem which a lot of med schools claim is the best predictor for success in a graduate med program. I think Temple even lists on their website what a typical O Chem GPA is for their incoming students if I'm not mistaken. Most are going to have a hard time believing you'll be able to make it through such a rigorous curriculum with that many retakes.

Having a couple F's and a C- is seriously going to tank your GPA when AACPM calculates your GPAs. Its going to be hard for a school to take a chance on an applicant to had to retake an undergrad class 4 times. Especially one like O Chem which a lot of med schools claim is the best predictor for success in a graduate med program. I think Temple even lists on their website what a typical O Chem GPA is for their incoming students if I'm not mistaken. Most are going to have a hard time believing you'll be able to make it through such a rigorous curriculum with that many retakes.

Didn't know the ochem correlation was so strong. Makes sense though. Thanks for the info!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 17; 495
Resident of NY

P.S. Took me 4 attempts to do well in organic chemistry (F, F, C-, A).

ECs:
500 hours of hospital volunteering
150 hours of non-hospital volunteering

I'm in my last semester of undergrad. I took the new mcat, doing fairely well on practice exams (avg~505) but wasn't feeling well on my test day. I've only recently started considering podiatry schooling. Would I have a good chance of acceptance? Also, is it possible to apply now for admission in Fall 2016. Any advice would be appreciated.

Your new MCAT score is solid, but your GPA is a bit low (will need an update of what your GPA really is once your app is verified). You might have a shot at the bigger schools during this cycle. Any shadowing exp for podiatry?

I just wanted to tell you that my stats were almost identical to yours (except I didn't do a masters and my MCAT was a 497 and i had a lot of ECs especially Pod-related ones) and I just got accepted to Temple, NYCPM, and got interview invites from every single school I applied to: Kent, Scholl, Des Moines, Barry, and Samuel Merritt. Retake that MCAT and get around 498+ range and you're solid if you're applying at the start of next cycle. If you're retaking MCATs June might be too late for this cycle but you can still give it a shot:) Good job on that masters work ! Thats definitely a plus. Hope this helps you a little and gives you a little piece of mind!

Stupid question, but is gGPA the non-science GPA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Stupid question, but is gGPA the non-science GPA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Not a stupid question, AACPMAS calculates like 20 different GPAs for the schools to look at. Not sure what Weirdy meant by gGPA. The two most commonly cited and probably most important are the science GPA (sGPA) and cumulative or overall GPA (cGPA). There's also a biology/physics/chemistry GPA that I believe DMU looks at rather than the science GPA, which I guess may discount maths and other miscellaneous science courses. Those three GPAs are the ones that'll get you when the schools autoscreen GPAs, for those that do.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I just wanted to tell you that my stats were almost identical to yours (except I didn't do a masters and my MCAT was a 497 and i had a lot of ECs especially Pod-related ones) and I just got accepted to Temple, NYCPM, and got interview invites from every single school I applied to: Kent, Scholl, Des Moines, Barry, and Samuel Merritt. Retake that MCAT and get around 498+ range and you're solid if you're applying at the start of next cycle. If you're retaking MCATs June might be too late for this cycle but you can still give it a shot:) Good job on that masters work ! Thats definitely a plus. Hope this helps you a little and gives you a little piece of mind!

Thank you. Studying for midterms and really needed this. Will focus on killing the MCAT. And yes all of this was with intent to apply early next cycle.

cgpa= 3.14 sgpa 2.83 (upward trend) mcat 26(10V,8P.8B).
200 hours volunteering at the hospital.
50 hours volunteering at the homeless shelter.
20 hours shadowing podiatrist.

Chances for NYPOM jan class.

cgpa= 3.14 sgpa 2.83 (upward trend) mcat 26(10V,8P.8B).
200 hours volunteering at the hospital.
50 hours volunteering at the homeless shelter.
20 hours shadowing podiatrist.

Chances for NYPOM jan class.
Pretty good just apply upcoming cycle and you should expect an interview. From what I understand NYCPM sends out the interview invites the quickest.

Last edited: