This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cgpa= 3.14 sgpa 2.83 (upward trend) mcat 26(10V,8P.8B).
200 hours volunteering at the hospital.
50 hours volunteering at the homeless shelter.
20 hours shadowing podiatrist.

Chances for NYPOM jan class.
You are going to have trouble with a 2.8 sGPA regardless of whether or not you have an upward trend. Sorry to be so blunt, but you need to at least consider some post-bac work if you want a higher chance of an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

Like cardsfan said, you might have a hard time overcoming such a low Gpa, especially since your MCAT score is just average. If you cant/dont want to redo classes i would suggest retaking the mcat to offset your low gpa. You would have to kill the mcat though, probably above a 30 so on the new mcat somewhere above a 510. I would also advise adding more podiatry experiwnce to your resume

Reactions: 1 user

Like cardsfan said, you might have a hard time overcoming such a low Gpa, especially since your MCAT score is just average. If you cant/dont want to redo classes i would suggest retaking the mcat to offset your low gpa. You would have to kill the mcat though, probably above a 30 so on the new mcat somewhere above a 510. I would also advise adding more podiatry experiwnce to your resume
A MCAT of 26 is above average for all schools. Definitely do not retake the mcat unless it expires. If he/she gets a lower score that could really hurt. The only thing hurting is the low science GPA, but I've seen people get in with lower. Your chances right now are decent, I bet you'll get in if you apply early and have good interviewing skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree with sweatshirt. The average MCAT for all schools is 22-23. You are well above average. I also agree more pod experiences is your best bet if you don't want to retake classes. Pretty much what I have read on here is APPLY EARLY for the best chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Alright, hit me with your best shot, but I'm going to take a chance here:

I was considering doing a masters in chemistry (reasons explained later) and then the MCAT and then going from there. So I actually had a target goal of 2018 or whenever I finished my masters 'cause any adcom will tell me finish up before matriculating. After sending messages to schools about my situation, it seems I might not have to follow through and go for a masters after all.

I graduated with a liberal arts degree (2.1 cum) and (1.7 sci). Reasons? I have some Fs, Cs, and Ws. I wasn't sick or had family issues. I was an idiot in school, partied, felt pressured by my parents, but it was all me; I screwed up and I'm owning up to it 100%. I can't even get into a postbacc with such grades! I took the liberal arts 'cause I just wanted to graduate. I was a bio major before switching.

One of the schools I spoke to told me go for a postbacc instead of a masters. Another told me when they average all repeats, it just has to equal 2.7 or higher. Essentially, the masters isn't needed.

I'm presently enrolled in a 2nd bachelors retaking classes with the aim of getting into a masters in chem. I'm performing better than I ever did before but I'm not pulling all As. If I could take enough classes (18creds) in the fall, and spring '17 (18 creds), could an upward trend help me out at all? I could throw in summer (4-6 creds) and winter classes (4-6 creds). I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I'm signed up to shadow a pod and do bio research by the end of April.

Now, the reason for the chem masters:
-chem I (W, F, F, C-, C)
-chem II (F,F,W, C-, D+)
-orgo I (F)

**microbio (F,F,F) *not related to chem, I know

Haven't taken orgo II or physics II. Currently retakin chem I. Planning on retaking chem II and orgo I in the fall. Orgo II in the spring; basically retake all the prereqs.

Bio I (D) **retaking it now**
Physics I (C)
Bio II (C)

^^ but I'll retake anyway since it's passed the amount of years they'll accept.
I NEVER received an A in any science class first time I went for a bachelors. Any chance an upward trend, retakes (I know they don't do replacement), new classes, and good MCAT score can get me a seat for fall 17? I'm a chemistry major for the 2nd bachelors although I don't plan to finish; was only doing it priority registration, improve my grades and get into a masters for chem.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

I was considering doing a masters in chemistry (reasons explained later) and then the MCAT and then going from there. So I actually had a target goal of 2018 or whenever I finished my masters 'cause any adcom will tell me finish up before matriculating. After sending messages to schools about my situation, it seems I might not have to follow through and go for a masters after all.

I graduated with a liberal arts degree (2.1 cum) and (1.7 sci). Reasons? I have some Fs, Cs, and Ws. I wasn't sick or had family issues. I was an idiot in school, partied, felt pressured by my parents, but it was all me; I screwed up and I'm owning up to it 100%. I can't even get into a postbacc with such grades! I took the liberal arts 'cause I just wanted to graduate. I was a bio major before switching.

One of the schools I spoke to told me go for a postbacc instead of a masters. Another told me when they average all repeats, it just has to equal 2.7 or higher. Essentially, the masters isn't needed.

I'm presently enrolled in a 2nd bachelors retaking classes with the aim of getting into a masters in chem. I'm performing better than I ever did before but I'm not pulling all As. If I could take enough classes (18creds) in the fall, and spring '17 (18 creds), could an upward trend help me out at all? I could throw in summer (4-6 creds) and winter classes (4-6 creds). I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I'm signed up to shadow a pod and do bio research by the end of April.

-chem I (W, F, F, C-, C)
-chem II (F,F,W, C-, D+)
-orgo I (F)

Haven't taken orgo II or physics II. Currently retakin chem I. Planning on retaking chem II and orgo I in the fall. Orgo II in the spring; basically retake all the prereqs.

Physics I (C)
Bio II (C)

I NEVER received an A in any science class first time I went for a bachelors. Any chance an upward trend, retakes (I know they don't do replacement), new classes, and good MCAT score can get me a seat for fall 17? I'm a chemistry major for the 2nd bachelors although I don't plan to finish; was only doing it priority registration, improve my grades and get into a masters for chem.

I just have an honest question, even if you were to retake all the classes and get As and Bs would that even raise your average to a 2.7? From the looks of it you retook multiple classes multiple times which would seem to really Wright down your GPA.
Just to give my insight, my freshman year I finished with a 2.7 GPA, multiple Cs but nothing lower. I kicked my butt jnto gear for my last 3 years of undergrad and averaged a 3.912 gpa. Even with all that hard work my GPA only ever got back up to a 3.55. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know if it's even possible to go from a 1.7 to a 2.7 with the multiple Fs, DS and Cs

Belongs in WAMC thread. You might see your post moved. Just an FYI.

In all honesty I don't think you will be successful in Podiatry school. You have had a long history of having to take classes multiple times. You don't want to go to 2-3 years of school just to end up with debt and no degree. It is time to go to your next career choice.

Reactions: 2 users

-chem I (W, F, F, C-, C)
-chem II (F,F,W, C-, D+)
-orgo I (F)

Physics I (C)
Bio II (C)

Ok so here's what I think on this situation you're in. Really my question to start is are you pulling in A's now? So that you can significantly raise that science gpa? From the looks of it you have a ton of credits that you've taken so improving your gpa by a whole point is gonna be tough, so getting A's I feel would be extremely important for that.

You said you've asked some admissions on what you should do, but I think you should really have a clear cut idea of what you need to gain admission. Schools are going to look at your application and wonder why it took you 3-5 times of taking a class to improve to a C grade. If you were to get accepted, there won't be the opportunities to really retake classes over and over again, which an admissions panel would probably consider as well.

Personally I am a firm believer that anything is possible and I'm sure gaining admissions is with your info but its more so how long are you willing to wait? If this is your passion by all means yes pursue it, but I would have at least 1-2 backup plans ready to go, and a masters degree might be back up plan #1. A post bacc will get you that medical school type work load but won't help you if things don't work out.

Hope this helps a little with the thought process and good luck with whatever you decide.

I don't think 2 semesters of retaking classes will be enough to boost your gpa. You will most likely need to spend at least 2+ years/straight A's to really make any impact. Also, think about doing a masters. If you do well there, it will show them that you are different from your undergrad self and can handle the heavy coursework.

Upward trends is nice, but I feel like admissions will more likely question why you had to retake classes so many times and if it will continue to be a problem if you get accepted. Pod coursework will be much, much harder than undergrad and retaking classes isn't usually allowed (after a certain amount of retakes, you get kicked out).

If you manage to get a near perfect score on your mcat, it might change certain aspects, but getting that kind of score is very difficult.

The question is: are you certain this is the path you want? You will be spending years getting your app ready, and if you manage to get in, you have 7 more years of learning. Your loans will be through the roof, considering all the work you will have to put in your app.

Also, keep in mind that gpa and mcat scores will continue to go up, making it more competitive. Even if you improve your app in the next couple of years, the average might slightly increase, making it more difficult for you.

1. Work hard. You seem more concerned with letting us decide your fate and less concerned with putting in hours at the library to bring your grades up. I see a lot of talk about forecasting the future based on hypothetical grades and less self reflection on how you are studying. Besides just partying and not caring about school, what made you fail the 2nd 3rd 4th time in those classes? What were your study habits? Did your friends help or make this worse? What was your motivation level like? Frankly speaking these grades are abysmal. If you were a school admissions officer, would you take a chance on a candidate like this? Be honest with yourself.

2. What @SLCpod said. With grades like these, this field may not be for you. Your Masters in chem will only get harder. Pod/MD/DO/Professional health school will be even harder than your Masters. No matter how many degrees you get, admissions won't matter unless your current work/grade history represents that you can do well. An upward trend cannot make them un-see 10 failing grades multiple times.

3. EDIT: looking back at some of your posts here.....you seem to have tried wiggling through the D.O. route using grade exclusion. Now that you've shared your grades with us, even WITH grade exclusion, its extremely difficult to see you as a competitive candidate in a lot of the health fields. Even nursing, P.A., PT, opto would have difficulties accepting you as a competitive applicant.

Bump.

I have a feeling this thread will be getting busy during the next few months.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Unsure as of now what schools I'm looking at. I'm at a stage where I am looking at a lot of different medical/health professions as I am now a senior.

I will be graduating with a B.S. in Kinesiology in the fall.
GPA is 3.4
I have ~40 hours of volunteering at an O&P dept. in a children's hospital.
~20 hours of shadowing O&P clinicians/techs.
120 hours working as a production technician at a company that makes and sells a modular AK socket.

My plan is to retake Anatomy and my first half of chem. Then take my second year of physics. Thing is, I have no organic chemistry, so that's a whole year. Yikes.

Unsure as of now what schools I'm looking at. I'm at a stage where I am looking at a lot of different medical/health professions as I am now a senior.

GPA is 3.4
120 hours working as a production technician at a company that makes and sells a modular AK socket.

My plan is to retake Anatomy and my first half of chem. Then take my second year of physics. Thing is, I have no organic chemistry, so that's a whole year. Yikes.
Don't go into O&P, whatever you do.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

GPA is 3.4

GPA is good. If you do good on the MCAT and get some pod shadowing you should be fine

What's wrong with O&P? You make a difference, plus there are some niche opportunities.
View attachment 202824

I've been working in O&P for about 9 years now. I've been a technician, I've been a licensed and certified clinician. I know many older orthotists, prosthetists, technicians, & pedorthists and I know many newer orthotists, prosthetists, technicians, and pedorthists. I've been to tons of state, national, and international O&P trade shows. I've lectured at one state and one international trade show. My current employer, for the next few months till I start pod school, is an O&P residency site. I've got a pretty good inside perspective on the profession.

I have a family member who owns a fairly successful O&P practice and he is willing to basically hand it off to me when he retires. Large patient volume, good employees, no start up costs, and I'd pass up that opportunity ten times over to go to DPM, MD, or DPT.

Most of the reasons why have been summed up here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...thetist-orthotist-programs-profession.640914/

If someone had specific questions I'd be willing to answer them there, here, or through PM.

I've been working in O&P for about 9 years now. I've been a technician, I've been a licensed and certified clinician. I know many older orthotists, prosthetists, technicians, & pedorthists and I know many newer orthotists, prosthetists, technicians, and pedorthists. I've been to tons of state, national, and international O&P trade shows. I've lectured at one state and one international trade show. My current employer, for the next few months till I start pod school, is an O&P residency site. I've got a pretty good inside perspective on the profession.

I have a family member who owns a fairly successful O&P practice and he is willing to basically hand it off to me when he retires. Large patient volume, good employees, no start up costs, and I'd pass up that opportunity ten times over to go to DPM, MD, or DPT.

Most of the reasons why have been summed up here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...thetist-orthotist-programs-profession.640914/

If someone had specific questions I'd be willing to answer them there, here, or through PM.
Lol, clearly it wasn't what you wanted (though I confess I did not read the linked series of essays, er, posts). I would not, however, discourage everyone from an entire profession, particularly if they've expressed interest. It only requires a masters level education with a short residency and appears to earn an appropriate income for the time invested, so it doesn't seem so bad from an outsider's perspective. Medicine and other doctoral fields are not for everyone (many people would be miserable) - best to do what you love.

GPA is 3.4

You're liking pretty good so far. Take those last few courses and the MCAT and you'll be set.

I like that you are exploring a lot of options. It is hard to make a decision of what to do with the rest of your life when there are so many things you can do. If you stick with podiatry it will be nice knowing that you explored a lot of different things.

Lol, clearly it wasn't what you wanted (though I confess I did not read the linked series of essays, er, posts). I would not, however, discourage everyone from an entire profession, particularly if they've expressed interest. It only requires a masters level education with a short residency and appears to earn an appropriate income for the time invested, so it doesn't seem so bad from an outsider's perspective. Medicine and other doctoral fields are not for everyone (many people would be miserable) - best to do what you love.
OK, maybe I was a little too discouraging a couple posts back, but I would just want people to REALLYYY consider the cons of O&P before going into it. Don't get me wrong, I love the job and I love the patient base, that's not my problem with the profession. I'll try to sum up some of the consensus from that other thread on O&P.

1. The schools are putting out more students than there is a demand for.
2. The quality of education is too variable between the different schools (there are 12 O&P programs).
3. There is a large shortage of residency positions and the whole residency system is ancient. No automated match system. Not even an updated list of residency sites available. Pretty much just up to graduates to cold call. You can't get licensed or certified without a residency though, so this whole process can set you back considerably.
4. You pretty much have to be a clinician/salesman. It's all about quantity over quality because in O&P you can't bill for office visits. Non-custom orthotic devices have very low profit margins. And yes you might get paid 40,000 for a prosthetic leg but first you have to buy the 25,000 in componentry and fit and deliver the device before you can even bill for it. If your claim gets denied you're out a very large chunk of money and what are you gonna do, track down a senile diabetic and repo the thing?
5. The O&P scope is constantly encroached upon. MDs, DOs, DPMs, PAs, NPs, PTs, OTs, chiropractors, naturopaths, and even pharmacists all have some amount of orthotic and/or prosthetic services in their scopes.
6. Orthotist/prosthetist notes count for nothing as far as CMS or anyone else is concerned. If the physician's notes aren't perfect, even if ours are, claims get denied. Heck, amputees are sometimes denied artificial limbs as not medically necessary even if the prosthetist's and physical therapist's notes are on point. This is similar to what happened with the therapeutic shoe bill which is why almost no O&P practice offers diabetic shoes & inserts anymore, except maybe some Hanger locations. We know exactly what the requirements are but our notes don't count. The physician may not know exactly what the requirements are but their notes do count and we're legally not supposed to dictate the physician's notes.
7. O&P may require a master's degree now but there are still many practicing orthotists/prosthetists who were grandfathered in from when there were very few requirements. Some have a GED or high school diploma or associate degree and that's about it. I would say because of that there is a lot of riff-raff in the field. Unprofessionalism, sexism, racism, and lots of other isms all run rampant in O&P.
8. Reimbursements for O&P practices are usually well under medicare allowable. Like I'm talkin' 60%, 70%, 80% of medicare. I don't think at my current employer we have a single contract that is even close to 100% of medicare.

You can verify any of this with that other thread. Surprisingly (or should I say unsurprisingly), there wasn't a single dissenting opinion on that thread. Not a single person stepped up and said "I don't know what the heck these guys are talkin' about, O&P is great". That's because...it's not.

/rant over

Last edited:
OK, maybe I was a little too discouraging a couple posts back, but I would just want people to REALLYYY consider the cons of O&P before going into it. Don't get me wrong, I love the job and I love the patient base, that's not my problem with the profession. I'll try to sum up some of the consensus from that other thread on O&P.

1. The schools are putting out more students than there is a demand for.
2. The quality of education is too variable between the different schools (there are 12 O&P programs).
3. There is a large shortage of residency positions and the whole residency system is ancient. No automated match system. Not even an updated list of residency sites available. Pretty much just up to graduates to cold call. You can't get licensed or certified without a residency though, so this whole process can set you back considerably.
4. You pretty much have to be a clinician/salesman. It's all about quantity over quality because in O&P you can't bill for office visits. Non-custom orthotic devices have very low profit margins. And yes you might get paid 40,000 for a prosthetic leg but first you have to buy the 25,000 in componentry and fit and deliver the device before you can even bill for it. If your claim gets denied you're out a very large chunk of money and what are you gonna do, track down a senile diabetic and repo the thing?
5. The O&P scope is constantly encroached upon. MDs, DOs, DPMs, PAs, NPs, PTs, OTs, chiropractors, naturopaths, and even pharmacists all have some amount of orthotic and/or prosthetic services in their scopes.
6. Orthotist/prosthetist notes count for nothing as far as CMS or anyone else is concerned. If the physician's notes aren't perfect, even if ours are, claims get denied. Heck, amputees are sometimes denied artificial limbs as not medically necessary even if the prosthetist's and physical therapist's notes are on point. This is similar to what happened with the therapeutic shoe bill which is why almost no O&P practice offers diabetic shoes & inserts anymore, except maybe some Hanger locations. We know exactly what the requirements are but our notes don't count. The physician may not know exactly what the requirements are but their notes do count and we're legally not supposed to dictate the physician's notes.
7. O&P may require a master's degree now but there are still many practicing orthotists/prosthetists who were grandfathered in from when there were very few requirements. Some have a GED or high school diploma or associate degree and that's about it. I would say because of that there is a lot of riff-raff in the field. Unprofessionalism, sexism, racism, and lots of other isms all run rampant in O&P.
8. Reimbursements for O&P practices are usually well under medicare allowable. Like I'm talkin' 60%, 70%, 80% of medicare. I don't think at my current employer we have a single contract that is even close to 100% of medicare.

You can verify any of this with that other thread. Surprisingly (or should I say unsurprisingly), there wasn't a single dissenting opinion on that thread. Not a single person stepped up and said "I don't know what the heck these guys are talkin' about, O&P is great". That's because...it's not.

/rant over
Interesting perspective, those sound like good considerations.

GPA is good. If you do good on the MCAT and get some pod shadowing you should be fine

What's wrong with O&P? You make a difference, plus there are some niche opportunities.

You're liking pretty good so far. Take those last few courses and the MCAT and you'll be set.

I like that you are exploring a lot of options. It is hard to make a decision of what to do with the rest of your life when there are so many things you can do. If you stick with podiatry it will be nice knowing that you explored a lot of different things.

@ Sweatshirt + SLCpod: Thanks! I'll be shooting for shadowing in pod and other professions right after finals and hopefully stick to one.

@FootAndAnkle: Basically what bob said. Ever since I began shadowing in O&P, I've met worried advice from practitioners old and young, in their own clinic or at a conference. I loved what I saw when shadowing and volunteering, and I felt like this was something I could do for the rest of my life, but when I came upon the thread bob was talking about, the worried advice I heard first hand was amplified, and I finally heard it... then ignored it again.
Just last month I decided to just contact recent grads in my state who had finished their residency and begun work, and most if not all were looking for a way out. I've heard of over-saturation, low pay (One lady's salary never changed from her 40k resident salary after getting certified and working for a few years), and even stories about how some would rather hire an orthotic fitter rather than a new practitioner.
The reason I ignored much of the negatives before is because I *thought* I am not like these people, the internet is full of complaints and gripes, it's natural habitat, right? No. Not when I have to pay for graduate school to get into a profession that pays lower than advertised and lies about job prospects after graduation.

So now, I'm checking everything out and getting as many pros and cons as I can. I love O&P and I would still like to work with the same patients, but I don't feel like it's a good investment to work directly as a practitioner. So maybe I'm not into medicine, maybe I'm more into therapy. My hope is that I'll have that figured out by the end of summer. This forum helps a lot. /essay mode off

[…] @FootAndAnkle: Basically what bob said. Ever since I began shadowing in O&P, I've met worried advice from practitioners old and young, in their own clinic or at a conference. I loved what I saw when shadowing and volunteering, and I felt like this was something I could do for the rest of my life, but when I came upon the thread bob was talking about, the worried advice I heard first hand was amplified, and I finally heard it... then ignored it again.
Just last month I decided to just contact recent grads in my state who had finished their residency and begun work, and most if not all were looking for a way out. I've heard of over-saturation, low pay (One lady's salary never changed from her 40k resident salary after getting certified and working for a few years), and even stories about how some would rather hire an orthotic fitter rather than a new practitioner.
The reason I ignored much of the negatives before is because I *thought* I am not like these people, the internet is full of complaints and gripes, it's natural habitat, right? No. Not when I have to pay for graduate school to get into a profession that pays lower than advertised and lies about job prospects after graduation.
[…]
My hope is that I'll have that figured out by the end of summer. […]
Sounds like you're doing a good job researching your options - best of luck!

Thought I might as well add to this, haha.

3.1 sGPA
3.2 cGPA
3.7 post bac GPA (in business) -- also hoping my huge upward trend helps me...
507 mcat

- shadowed 2 podiatrists for 8 hrs total. Will do more this summer.
- volunteered in a hospital for 3 years
- lot of leadership positions including being vice president of a student club as well as a director of fundraising/events, and campaign coordinator for the cancer society
- 1 year of research experience

I believe my chances are good but not the greatest. Anything I could possibily do in the meantime to be more competitive ? I am applying in August to start fall 2017

3.1 sGPA
3.2 cGPA
507 mcat

- lot of leadership positions including being vice president of a student club as well as a director of fundraising/events, and campaign coordinator for the cancer society

I believe my chances are good but not the greatest. Anything I could possibily do in the meantime to be more competitive ? I am applying in August to start fall 2017
You're probably in a pretty good position. The upward trend and solid MCAT should pull you through.

I don't think there's much more I would do other than, like you said, more shadowing.

If you wanna do anything to get ahead of the curve, maybe log into the current AACPMAS to have a look around. You could see what the character/word limit is on the personal statement and get started on that so you'll be ready to submit as soon as the next cycle opens.

3.1 sGPA
3.2 cGPA
507 mcat

MCAT and GPAs aren't a problem

Shadowing for sure. You've got that planned though so not too worried for you.

Also, try looking into all aspects of podiatry. Whether it be finances, current legislature, or just the latest trends in treatment for bunions, its always nice to dig in deep and prove to interviewers your interest and understanding of the profession.

MCAT and GPAs aren't a problem

Shadowing for sure. You've got that planned though so not too worried for you.

Also, try looking into all aspects of podiatry. Whether it be finances, current legislature, or just the latest trends in treatment for bunions, its always nice to dig in deep and prove to interviewers your interest and understanding of the profession.

Thanks so much, Weirdy. That is an excellent idea that I hadn't thought about. I will definitely do that. Thanks so much :)

You're probably in a pretty good position. The upward trend and solid MCAT should pull you through.

I don't think there's much more I would do other than, like you said, more shadowing.

If you wanna do anything to get ahead of the curve, maybe log into the current AACPMAS to have a look around. You could see what the character/word limit is on the personal statement and get started on that so you'll be ready to submit as soon as the next cycle opens.

Thanks bob! Great idea - will do. I know I am going to have so much trouble with that personal statement, lol! writing is not my forte

Thanks bob! Great idea - will do. I know I am going to have so much trouble with that personal statement, lol! writing is not my forte

For personal statement, have you looked into your school's English or pre-professional departments?

Reason for asking: Ran into a prof who ran a law school application camp helping students and their apps. Told me I was more than free to contact her regarding personal statements and she'd help me through it because part of her job was to critique them.

Try looking into English department or professors who teach graduate level English/editing/newspaper courses.

What are my chances?

cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 2.9
Mcat: 494 (got a 491 the first time)

I'm about to start shadowing. I already have some volunteering experience. If I have a shot I'll be applying around August 1st.

Apply to the schools with large class size (Scholl, NYCPM, Kent, Temple) and low stats (Barry) on the first day of the cycle. That'll give you the best shot. If i had to take a wild guess, Scholl and Barry might accept you based on your stats.

Do I have a decent shot or is this a low chance? Also based on my stats would I be able to survive Pod school? I got these numbers by working hard and not goofing off.

I don't know this to be honest. Whatever i say will just be speculation. Just apply and hope for the best.
Were you a ~3.0 every year of your undergrad? If you were, then i think it's something to worry about. What was your major? Did you have a strong upward trend? How did you do in our junior/senior level courses? All of this matters. If you were a engineering/Chem/Physics/CS major with a 3.0 GPA, i'd tell you not to worry. But yeah that's just one man's opinion.

I was a bio major at UCSD. I had a 3.7 while I was at community college before I transferred though

Do I have a decent shot or is this a low chance? Also based on my stats would I be able to survive Pod school? I got these numbers by working hard and not goofing off.
You have a decent shot.

There are many that do very well in Pod school though they had a tough time in undergrad. Only you can determine if you will be able handle the course load. The concepts aren't hard but the quantity of information that you have to learn is a lot.

I don't know this to be honest. Whatever i say will just be speculation. Just apply and hope for the best.
Were you a ~3.0 every year of your undergrad? If you were, then i think it's something to worry about. What was your major? Did you have a strong upward trend? How did you do in our junior/senior level courses? All of this matters. If you were a engineering/Chem/Physics/CS major with a 3.0 GPA, i'd tell you not to worry. But yeah that's just one man's opinion.

You have a decent shot.

There are many that do very well in Pod school though they had a tough time in undergrad. Only you can determine if you will be able handle the course load. The concepts aren't hard but the quantity of information that you have to learn is a lot.

Ok thanks for the advice guys

Ok thanks for the advice guys

How did you do in your anatomy, physiology, biochemistry etc. classes, like ones that are similar to what is taught in Pod school?

Even though my GPA is OK, I always got A's in those classes because I enjoyed them so much and it's a reason I continue to want to pursue Podiatry. If you truly enjoy studying for/learning those kind of subjects you'll probably do great. I also think having a clear direction, knowing THIS is your career path and you WILL become a Podiatrist will make you study a little harder or more efficiently than you did in undergrad... at least this what I think! :)

For personal statement, have you looked into your school's English or pre-professional departments?

Reason for asking: Ran into a prof who ran a law school application camp helping students and their apps. Told me I was more than free to contact her regarding personal statements and she'd help me through it because part of her job was to critique them.

Try looking into English department or professors who teach graduate level English/editing/newspaper courses.
This was great advice to give an applicant. Having someone with refined experience in writing can be very beneficial in critiquing and crafting your personal statement. In addition to those with experience in general or legal works, who are great assets for composition, it can also be useful to have an M.D. or Ph.D. who publishes frequently review your statement. If you see someone who is well-published in scientific literature, that person is probably skilled in presenting their topics efficiently and will be able to guide your writing for the differently nuanced readership of physicians and scientists. A biochemist reviewed mine and his insights improved both my personal statement and my writing style from that time on.

Last edited:
This was great advice to give an applicant. Having someone with refined experience in writing can be very beneficial in critiquing and crafting your personal statement. In addition to those with experience in general or legal works, who are great assets for composition, it can also be useful to have an M.D. or Ph.D. who publishes frequently review your statement. If you see someone who is well-published in scientific literature, that person is probably skilled in presenting their topics efficiently and will be able to guide your writing for the differently nuanced readership of physicians and scientists. A biochemist reviewed mine and his insights improved both my personal statement and my writing style from that time on.

Very, very good point. Thanks for the input, Weirdy & FootAndAnkle! Now to find someone who can do this for me... >:)
Did you know this Biochemist personally or did you just find and contact one?

Very, very good point. Thanks for the input, Weirdy & FootAndAnkle! Now to find someone who can do this for me... >:)
Did you know this Biochemist personally or did you just find and contact one?
I worked in his lab, so that's how we knew each other. If you have a professor from school that you have good rapport with, you can ask him/her or see if there is someone he/she would recommend.

Hey Everyone,

So I was gonna apply this upcoming cycle and see how it goes.

Bit of background about me: Was gun ho about DO school, bombed the MCAT and couldn't increase my score. Had family in podiatry, seemed like a good gig, did about 25 hours worth of shadowing and came to the conclusion that I could see myself in the field. Called a couple of schools, they said MCAT was fine, So here we go

GPA: 3.5 cumulative, 3.2 science (non grade replacement, great upward trend)
MCAT: 490
ECs, research, clinical work, volunteering, etc. Will be able to grab a DPM letter in the next couple months.

What schools should I focus on, which schools have a minimum MCAT threshold, and do I stand a chance at snagging a couple of interviews and hopefully some acceptances?

Hey Everyone,

Bit of background about me: Was gun ho about DO school, bombed the MCAT and couldn't increase my score. Had family in podiatry, seemed like a good gig, did about 25 hours worth of shadowing and came to the conclusion that I could see myself in the field. Called a couple of schools, they said MCAT was fine, So here we go

ECs, research, clinical work, volunteering, etc. Will be able to grab a DPM letter in the next couple months.

What schools should I focus on, which schools have a minimum MCAT threshold, and do I stand a chance at snagging a couple of interviews and hopefully some acceptances?
You're good. You have the potential of going to any of the 9 so if I were in your shoes I would apply to my top 3.

Good luck.

Hey Everyone,

GPA and ECs look very solid.

MCAT I've seen minimum cutoffs at 492-493. Do you plan on retaking? Even just a few more points would snag you interviews.

If you can't find the MCAT scores for previous classes, try emailing the schools you're interested in.

GPA and ECs look very solid.

MCAT I've seen minimum cutoffs at 492-493. Do you plan on retaking? Even just a few more points would snag you interviews.

If you can't find the MCAT scores for previous classes, try emailing the schools you're interested in.

Yeah, Im retaking this Friday. Been scoring around 492, but I don't know if I should just cancel it, don't wanna score lower and ruin my chances at Pod schools.

Yeah, Im retaking this Friday. Been scoring around 492, but I don't know if I should just cancel it, don't wanna score lower and ruin my chances at Pod schools.

If you can, study your ass off and follow through with it.

You have the GPA (trust me...I'd love to have that) and the ECs.

Short term pain, long term gain. Discipline yourself and go all out.

Just realized you said "THIS FRIDAY"......

How long have you been studying for it? Any chance to postpone?

If SLCpod says you're set, I trust his judgement even with your 490

Has anyone ever been accepted with an older MCAT score? I have a MCAT of 25 I took in January 2013. I'm looking at applying for 2016-2017 cycle

Will schools make exception to the mcat within 3 years of applying req.? It looks like Barry is the only school that uses the term "current mcat score" for their application..
You're probably going to have to retake it unfortunately. But your best bet is to call each individual school that you are interested in applying to and asking for their take on the matter.

Hey, just wanted to say GOOD LUCK on your MCAT! You have great stats, improving your MCAT would give you a great chance :)

What are my chances?

cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 2.9
Mcat: 494 (got a 491 the first time)

I'm about to start shadowing. I already have some volunteering experience. If I have a shot I'll be applying around August 1st.

I had similar stats (cGPA: 3.25/sGPA: 2.96 - strong upward trend) but a lower MCAT score (489 - equivalent to 19 on old scale). I received 3 interview invites and was waitlisted at AZPOD for an interview. At the end, I think it all has to do with how you "sell yourself" on the application.