{}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So glad to see so many international students applying this cycle. I am Canadian as well, but I moved to America sophomore year of high school. So I had all my classes here in the US. However, I still didn't get my green card yet (we started applying in 2012, its been almost 3 years). I got my EDP offer from a med school, but their offer only stands if I could provide my documentation when school starts. I am worried that if I don't get my green card until then, I won't be able to go. and I can't apply anywhere else since it is EDP. It's a very unique case and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :D

So glad to see so many international students applying this cycle. I am Canadian as well, but I moved to America sophomore year of high school. So I had all my classes here in the US. However, I still didn't get my green card yet (we started applying in 2012, its been almost 3 years). I got my EDP offer from a med school, but their offer only stands if I could provide my documentation when school starts. I am worried that if I don't get my green card until then, I won't be able to go. and I can't apply anywhere else since it is EDP. It's a very unique case and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :D

What is done is done, but you should never apply EDP with your status. I would check your priority date with the USCIS and see if there is even a remote chance that your date will be current within the next few months. Even then, start preparing for the next cycle and this time DO NOT APPLY EDP!

Hopefully you get your GC soon! I don't know how long Canadians generally wait for GCs, but it must be better than those from Asian countries.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@GingerGirl27 Is there any way I could PM/email you? I came across your MDAPP and have a load of questions.

I'm an African international just trying to make it, btw.

Hi guys,
Just wondering exactly how much money I need to show in my bank account in order to show med schools I can afford it? Don't they expect to see at least $200,000 in your bank account before they accept you into their programs? and when do we need to show this amount by?
thanks in advance!

Hi guys,
Just wondering exactly how much money I need to show in my bank account in order to show med schools I can afford it? Don't they expect to see at least $200,000 in your bank account before they accept you into their programs? and when do we need to show this amount by?
thanks in advance!

This depends on the school and where you are a citizen. Some schools require that you show finances (escrow account or letter of credit) to cover all the years, others will require that you pay the first year up front (usually only if you are Canadian). This does not affect admissions decisions and you will be required to do it once you are accepted for your visa to be processed.

The exact amount varies. I received an e-mail from Wash U saying they require $315000 up front from international students. I would advise that you do your research on each school and contact them if necessary to avoid wasting time/money on the application and interview process if you won't be able to pay once you are accepted.

Is anyone aware if International students (especially Canadians) are ever eligible for American scholarships, or how International students typically fund there education if they cannot receive assistance from the schools they are accepted to?

Is anyone aware if International students (especially Canadians) are ever eligible for American scholarships, or how International students typically fund there education if they cannot receive assistance from the schools they are accepted to?
Typically you would get an american or a green card holder to co-sign the loan with you...but that would be a pretty big loan especially for medical school. Unless you have family or friends who would go that far in the red for you, it might not be feasable

Typically you would get an american or a green card holder to co-sign the loan with you...but that would be a pretty big loan especially for medical school. Unless you have family or friends who would go that far in the red for you, it might not be feasable

Canadian banks will give a large enough line of credit for internationally studying med students, but you'd need a Canadian solvent guarantor

Canadian banks will give a large enough line of credit for internationally studying med students, but you'd need a Canadian solvent guarantor

This is good news. I have an acceptance at an American school, so now I have to cross the hurdle of financing it. I haven't contacted any banks just yet, but I do have a few people that would be willing to co-sign, so hopefully this will get the job done. Are you aware of the likelihood of Canadians being able to get American scholarships to help subsidize their education? Thanks.

This is good news. I have an acceptance at an American school, so now I have to cross the hurdle of financing it. I haven't contacted any banks just yet, but I do have a few people that would be willing to co-sign, so hopefully this will get the job done. Are you aware of the likelihood of Canadians being able to get American scholarships to help subsidize their education? Thanks.

Not sure, but the chances are remote. I've heard that a couple of schools might do this, but I'm not sure which ones.

edit: Congrats :)

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friend told me about this forum so I came here.
I am a non-Canadian, English-not-first-language, non-green-card-holder international student who is currently studying in US Med school. I made it all the way alone without seeing any other international student doing the same thing. [I do get help from others though] I know how this feel and would like to help those who has the same goal.
:)

Reactions: 3 users
One of my friend told me about this forum so I came here.
I am a non-Canadian, English-not-first-language, non-green-card-holder international student who is currently studying in US Med school. I made it all the way alone without seeing any other international student doing the same thing. [I do get help from others though] I know how this feel and would like to help those who has the same goal.
:)
Help is needed and appreciated! PM'ing you now

I know a lot of Canadian school have hard cutoffs and that's what can make them a little tricky to get in but if you meet them you should be ok. You said that you were from Windsor so you probably have SWOMEN status so that puts you in a good spot for getting into Western as long as you meet the cutoffs.

I wonder what happens during residency applications to students with international status. Does it limit their choice of residencies if they do not have the green card before they graduate from med school?

I wonder what happens during residency applications to students with international status. Does it limit their choice of residencies if they do not have the green card before they graduate from med school?

Acutally yes, because many hospitals don't sponsor H1B visa. But there are still more than enough choices and I would say the chance is much much better than getting into medical school as an international student.

Thought this was crazy to see at SGU today. Professor missing while jogging.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 69
Hey! non Canadian international student here with not so great stats who had a very successful cycle. If you need any help/mentoring or have any questions, PM me. I'll be happy to help

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! non Canadian international student here with not so great stats who had a very successful cycle. If you need any help/mentoring or have any questions, PM me. I'll be happy to help
What were your stats, where did you get in and whereabouts is your degree from?

Got a 505 mcat, and a 3.7 cumulative GPA, a 3.6 science GPA and have a psych undergraduate degree from a 4 year college in the United States

Reactions: 1 user
Any future applicants looking at this thread?

Reactions: 1 users
I am definitely a future applicant @Xenith still working my way through the pre-reqs

Nah I applied in the current cycle and am willing to offer advice if anyone wants. I'm also writing a guide for international students if there is interest.

Nah I applied in the current cycle and am willing to offer advice if anyone wants. I'm also writing a guide for international students if there is interest.
What did you do to improve your verbal score CARS ? Assuming your English is a second language.
I started to learn English when I was around 14 years old but still not so good

Ah... That is something that I won't be able to help you with from and international student point of view. I have lived here a long time and my English is up to native standards. However, my recommendation would still be the same: focus on learning comprehension. Basically, this means how quickly can you read a difficult passage, understand it, and remember it. This is the starting point. You need to quickly dissect a passage and sift through many misleading answers. If your verbal is terrible, then I recommend you get a tutor for MCAT Cars or join a prep program. At the same time read a lot of difficult passages on history, English literature, sociology, etc. Do a ton of practice problems and always try to time yourself. Don't try to rush; rather, track how long it takes you to fully complete the practice sections. Over time, you hope to see more correct answers and faster completion. Also, read he official MCAT guide and see what skills they are looking for. Then, while reviewing your answers, try to categorize the questions based on those skills.

Ah... That is something that I won't be able to help you with from and international student point of view. I have lived here a long time and my English is up to native standards. However, my recommendation would still be the same: focus on learning comprehension. Basically, this means how quickly can you read a difficult passage, understand it, and remember it. This is the starting point. You need to quickly dissect a passage and sift through many misleading answers. If your verbal is terrible, then I recommend you get a tutor for MCAT Cars or join a prep program. At the same time read a lot of difficult passages on history, English literature, sociology, etc. Do a ton of practice problems and always try to time yourself. Don't try to rush; rather, track how long it takes you to fully complete the practice sections. Over time, you hope to see more correct answers and faster completion. Also, read he official MCAT guide and see what skills they are looking for. Then, while reviewing your answers, try to categorize the questions based on those skills.
Alright thanks a lot for this

:thumbup: @Xenith lmk if you want any help/extra perspective with the guide.

Also in the current cycle and would be willing to offer advice to (or simply talk with) any future/current applicants! I applied MD only and MD/PhD...

It would be nice if other international students who have been accepted listed schools they know that have previously accepted international grads. This list would be a great help for future applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
International non-canadian non-native speaker here! I'll be applying this upcoming cycle so it would be awesome to know which med schools accepted int'l last cycle.

@Xenith would also like to contribute to that guide. Myself and allaboutthatbass have experience with applying MD/PhD this cycle and there is not much info on that for international applicants. Let us know if you want to collaborate!

Canadian applicant here (applied for 2016 matriculation) and was wondering if any other Canadian applicants who have a thorough understanding of the US medical school admissions process would be willing to PM me - I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance :)

Canadian Applicant applying next cycle. Did anyone get accepted recently having not completed pre-reqs before application, but completed them before Mariculation. Just trying to gauge how much of an issue this is. Websites for individual schools vary. Some say they prefer before application, others say must be done before matriculation. Anybody have experience here?

Canadian Applicant applying next cycle. Did anyone get accepted recently having not completed pre-reqs before application, but completed them before Mariculation. Just trying to gauge how much of an issue this is. Websites for individual schools vary. Some say they prefer before application, others say must be done before matriculation. Anybody have experience here?
I completed one prereq during the summer, after being complete at most schools. Acceptance offers i received were conditional based on completion of prereqs before matriculation in August.

@f011235813 I think this depends which schools you are aiming for. If you are going for top 20 I would recommend you have your pre-reqs done before the application. Keep in mind that most applicants will have all their pre-reqs and your lack thereof will be an easy way to filter you out unless you have a very compelling application otherwise. I got invited to interview at 1 school at which I didn't fulfill the pre-reqs and I was specifically asked about it at the interview. Another school that rejected me gave me feedback that my lack of non-science courses was a factor in my rejection. Again this is very school-specific, many schools are now moving away from hard requirements if you can prove your competencies otherwise.

This is incorrect in light of the current CAD:USD conversion, even the cheapest US medical program at 45-50K USD for tuition, will require familial or personal savings to attend!

Not necessarily, I hate this idea that either you get into a Canadian school or you just don't go to med school. You can always get a private loan from a US bank just like you would from a canadian one (with a co-signor). Also, a lot of schools provide institutional loans/scholarships to their students that are not only for US citizens. Med school isn't only for trust fund babies, keep in mind that most med students in the US get loans so yes it's expensive, but not everyone is relying on savings. If you have a choice between going to med school in the US vs. not at all and you really want it then you can find a way.

Also an international student and cost of attendance is really scary. I have an acceptance at a U.S. MD program that wants ~100K per year. There is no way I can get financial support from family/savings. I feel like the only option short of a miraculous scholarship fairy is to turn to U.S. banks for private loans.

Also an international student and cost of attendance is really scary. I have an acceptance at a U.S. MD program that wants ~100K per year. There is no way I can get financial support from family/savings. I feel like the only option short of a miraculous scholarship fairy is to turn to U.S. banks for private loans.
can you tell us what is the school you got into ?
Are you a Canadian or non-Canadian ?

Hi guys,
thanks in advance!

My schools accept me without seeing the escrow. To start school, however, I had to have at least 4 years worth of tuition (about $225k).

It would be nice if other international students who have been accepted listed schools they know that have previously accepted international grads. This list would be a great help for future applicants.

Does the MSAR from AAMC not have that number for each school?

Not necessarily, I hate this idea that either you get into a Canadian school or you just don't go to med school. You can always get a private loan from a US bank just like you would from a canadian one (with a co-signor). Also, a lot of schools provide institutional loans/scholarships to their students that are not only for US citizens. Med school isn't only for trust fund babies, keep in mind that most med students in the US get loans so yes it's expensive, but not everyone is relying on savings. If you have a choice between going to med school in the US vs. not at all and you really want it then you can find a way.

No. You can't "always" get a private US Loan.

You can only get a private loan from the US if you have US basedCO-SIGNER. Not everyone has someone who is a US citizen that would be willing to cosign such a large loan. Don't forget all that mounting interest(US loan interest rates are terrible!).

Your false comparison to US citizens and their situation has ZERO COMPARISON to Canadian students wanting to attend US medical schools. US citizens are GAURANTEED(more or less) US student loans(with stupid interest rates) for the total cost of attendance. This is fact yes, but is not translatable to Canadian students. The majority of Canadians wanting to attend US medical schools will NOT be able to get US based loans. Sure, some will, but the vast majority? Come on thats a stretch and you know it.

As someone who was accepted to multiple US medical schools and have dozens of peers in the US, Yes, if you have an acceptance you very damn well should try your best to attend - but it is not as easy as it used to be to be able to financially manage actually pulling the trigger and moving south.

When the conversion rates are as terrible as they are now, people who don't have financial support from family, or the majority who are unlucky enough to not have a US based cosginer- have a very difficult time actually being able to afford a US medical education. It's not just about "really want it then you can find a way" - to say that is simply showing your gross ignorance to those who simply come from humble means.

This is the current reality with the low Canadian dollar.

Full-stop.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow that was unnecessarily aggressive. I think you misread pretty much everything I said and blew it out of proportion. Thanks for the lesson but please keep your attitude to yourself.

1- I did not explicitly say you can use a canadian co-signor for your US private loans, you completely fabricated that. Some applicants might have family in the US who would be willing to co-sign for them at US banks and that isn't far-fetched. PS unless you're in great credit standing, canadian banks will also not give you the 275K LOC without a canadian co-signor so you could need a family member to get a private loan regardless of where they are.
2- I was not suggesting at all that Canadians can get US federal loans, are you serious?! The comparison I made was just to highlight that many med students, US attending US schools, Canadians attending Canadian schools, etc. cannot afford it and so get loans. Again, I will stand by my point that having to take loans should not prevent one from attending med school wherever it may be.
3- I do not know the details of how possible getting a loan is, it is obviously very dependent on the situation of the applicant. However, I would strongly disagree with the point that you basically reiterated, suggesting that people from humble means will have no way of funding their US MD education. That is up to them to figure out.

Finally, I take offense to your last statement, that was completely uncalled for. You're the one who basically implied that people shouldn't even bother looking for loans because of the exchange rate. I am not here to judge people's financial situations or how much money they have saved up, that's none of my (or your) business. I don't think it's ignorant at all to encourage people to give it a shot, I also did not claim to be a financial expert as you seem to do. It was a harmless statement and you completely redirected it towards a petty personal attack. Do you usually go around ranting at people for trying to be a bit optimistic?

We get you had a personal experience with this and might be a bit bitter because it didn't work out for you, but don't take it out on the rest of us and scare others away from trying. I'm sure you're enjoying UBC but some people just can't get in to Canadian schools and will have no choice but to figure out how to spend on an international education. In that case US>>>caribbean, ireland, australia but they're all expensive af so again the exchange rate is irrelevant if you have no choice and want to pursue this path.

Wow that was unnecessarily aggressive. I think you misread pretty much everything I said and blew it out of proportion. Thanks for the lesson but please keep your attitude to yourself.

1- I did not explicitly say you can use a canadian co-signor for your US private loans, you completely fabricated that. Some applicants might have family in the US who would be willing to co-sign for them at US banks and that isn't far-fetched. PS unless you're in great credit standing, canadian banks will also not give you the 275K LOC without a canadian co-signor so you could need a family member to get a private loan regardless of where they are.
2- I was not suggesting at all that Canadians can get US federal loans, are you serious?! The comparison I made was just to highlight that many med students, US attending US schools, Canadians attending Canadian schools, etc. cannot afford it and so get loans. Again, I will stand by my point that having to take loans should not prevent one from attending med school wherever it may be.
3- I do not know the details of how possible getting a loan is, it is obviously very dependent on the situation of the applicant. However, I would strongly disagree with the point that you basically reiterated, suggesting that people from humble means will have no way of funding their US MD education. That is up to them to figure out.

Finally, I take offense to your last statement, that was completely uncalled for. You're the one who basically implied that people shouldn't even bother looking for loans because of the exchange rate. I am not here to judge people's financial situations or how much money they have saved up, that's none of my (or your) business. I don't think it's ignorant at all to encourage people to give it a shot, I also did not claim to be a financial expert as you seem to do. It was a harmless statement and you completely redirected it towards a petty personal attack. Do you usually go around ranting at people for trying to be a bit optimistic?

We get you had a personal experience with this and might be a bit bitter because it didn't work out for you, but don't take it out on the rest of us and scare others away from trying. I'm sure you're enjoying UBC but some people just can't get in to Canadian schools and will have no choice but to figure out how to spend on an international education. In that case US>>>caribbean, ireland, australia but they're all expensive af so again the exchange rate is irrelevant if you have no choice and want to pursue this path.

1. I did not state that you misinterpreted the canadian vs us cosigner - you simply implied that its not an issue to find a US Cosigner for US loans.

2. Again, you're making a false comparison - the US is a situation where the total COA is very high and that loans exist that will fully-fund you. This is the norm in the US for US citizens. I took no issue with that(in this conversation anyways!). My main point is not with having to take loans to attend medical school - it's that in the CURRENT CANADIAN ECONOMY, it is not feasible to attend a US medical school on SOLELY loans. It is a GIVEN that you HAVE TO get a LOAN from a Canadian bank 100%. My point is that, while before this 275K CAD LOAN would have been enough(in addition to provincial loans) to attend US Medical schools - it is NOW not the case. You HAVE to have savings from family or personal, or a VERY unique situation of having a US-cosigner, or being a dual-citizen(or scholarship etc). I agree completely that it is situation dependent, but for the MAJORITY of people - this is reality of loans + with or without family money.

3. Exactly my point, your blind optimisim can be misleading to people - when you are not aware of the financial options, then you shouldn't go around making it seem like its easy or doable. Because it simply is not. This is FACT. You can't have optimisim against facts, facts are that - unchanging. Unless the CAD jumps up in value again, then my above points stand.

I am in no way scaring anyone off from trying - but simply encouraging people to get the facts right BEFORE applying. The worst is the situation, that I know personally from a few good friends, who have gotten into USMD programs(excellent schools to boot), but now have no real means of paying it. This is a devastating situation, to have spent thousands of dollars on applying and flying around to interviews in the US. Get an acceptance - and then find out that they can't get more than the 275K CAD bank loan, or that their school requires escrow, etc etc. I'm not saying don't apply, to the contrary, the US has amazing programs(better than many Canadian programs) and opportunities. Just do the research first(there isn't much to do that I haven't already outlined).

I have never said otherwise on the US>>>> everything else. For those who are going abroad, USMD/USDO is my first and sole suggestion, unless unique situations arise(Getting into a UK program or EU citizenship etc), but those are exceptions not the rule.

USMD and USDO are amazing options - however, before applying people need to realistically assess their financial situations and not just blindly assume if they want it they will make it happen. No one can predict how the CAD will fair against the USD, but you have to assume worst case scenario.

I've met a Canadian who had to take a LOA from their US school because they ran out of money, and then returned to complete. You don't want to be in that situation because you were unsure of how basic finances work.

I'm sorry you feel I was aggressive or offensive, this is the internet and tones can be misread, I was simply correcting and cautioning against your misleading viewpoint.

Your last sentence again shows such naiveity "but they're all expensive af so again the exchange rate is irrelevant if you have no choice and want to pursue this path" - So you think that all the options being expensive AF is irrelevant? "No choice and want to pursue this path"? Actually it is wholly relevant as these paths would simply NOT be options for those of low SES backgrounds. When you have bank loans and government loans as your only options of funding, you have to do the relevant research and basic math to see what your options are for medical school. If that sum of loan money is NOT enough to cover a 4 year degree and interest, then you do NOT have the means to attend. Simple as that. You can't just "figure it out", that's it- the final last ditch effort. How is this so hard to understand? People who don't have family support simply can't decide "Thats okay, i'm going to go to RCSI anyways and ill figure the money part out after...im sure it will be fine". Outside of 275K CAD bank loan and Canada student loans, there are very, very few options for the majority of students outside of family/personal savings.

Scholarships, US-Cosigner, MD/PhD funding, etc etc - these are all potential options but only for the minority of students. If you can't grasp that, then i'm speaking to a brick wall. I noticed in a quick look at your post history you were accepted to an MD/PhD program. This is an amazing accomplishment and I truly want to congratulate you - despite the differences shown in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone
I know one international student at one of the best med schools in the US receiving 91% of tuition covered by school scholarship (60%) and external scholarship (30%). My question is how many of you receive scholarship like or similar to this ? Can you tell us the percentage your scholarships covered for you ?
Keep in mind my friend is in a very good school and this is why they were able to find her generously. She had to pay less than 10% even though she is international.

Last edited: