Official Sd Publix Pharmacy Thread!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GodsSon2011

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you work at publix pharmacy, want to know about publix pharmacy, or just love shopping at publix please enter this thread!!!!!

Publix is the best place to work for retail pharmacy!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

What's Publix? Isn't that just some supermarket down south? They musta spiked this guy's fruitpunch or something... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
if you work at publix pharmacy, want to know about publix pharmacy, or just love shopping at publix please enter this thread!!!!!

Publix is the best place to work for retail pharmacy!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
dude...did you just start working for them or something? Fred Ottolino is the biggest jack*** I've ever met...you know the "VP of Pharmacy Operations"

It is better than most retail establishments though...If I ever go back to retail full time, it will be at a grocery store like Publix.

I don't work there but I get all my groceries there. Yum.

dude...did you just start working for them or something? Fred Ottolino is the biggest jack*** I've ever met...you know the "VP of Pharmacy Operations"

It is better than most retail establishments though...If I ever go back to retail full time, it will be at a grocery store like Publix.

been with Publix for a year and a half as an intern:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

dont kno the VP but I can say that publix is the best supermarket chain to work for....but i might switch to walgreens if they dont pay be a lot when i graduate (2011!!!!!!!!!!!!)

What's Publix? Isn't that just some supermarket down south? They musta spiked this guy's fruitpunch or something... :laugh:
Fairly large grocery chain down here in the South, especially in urban Georgia and Florida.

For the OP, I'd be interested in knowing how your pharmacists normally do their scheduling. Also, do all the stores have tech/intern help or no? - the one close to my house never seems to have anybody in there except the pharmacist, which seems like it would be lonely sometimes.

For the OP or anyone else who works for/heard great things about Publix.. Care to enlighten us? How does the system, pay rate, benefits compare to say a Wags/CVS/Target or other retail location?

Piggy Wiggly is DIRTY!

Members don't see this ad :)
Fairly large grocery chain down here in the South, especially in urban Georgia and Florida.

For the OP, I'd be interested in knowing how your pharmacists normally do their scheduling. Also, do all the stores have tech/intern help or no? - the one close to my house never seems to have anybody in there except the pharmacist, which seems like it would be lonely sometimes.
Typically, scheduling is done by the pharmacy manager. Some of the bigger city areas have a "scheduler" at the district office, but they only schedule floater help to cover sick days and vacations. Most stores have techs/interns but not all stores do. If the store does less than 400 per week (yea, 400) you can assume you probably won't have a tech.

Typically, scheduling is done by the pharmacy manager. Some of the bigger city areas have a "scheduler" at the district office, but they only schedule floater help to cover sick days and vacations. Most stores have techs/interns but not all stores do. If the store does less than 400 per week (yea, 400) you can assume you probably won't have a tech.

OK - I think my question wasn't quite clear. I know in most markets Pharmacy hours are 9-9 during the week. Are those hours ever split among pharmacists, or is everybody always doing 12 hour shifts with I guess one long week and one short week??

OK - I think my question wasn't quite clear. I know in most markets Pharmacy hours are 9-9 during the week. Are those hours ever split among pharmacists, or is everybody always doing 12 hour shifts with I guess one long week and one short week??
It depends on the two pharmacists at the store. A lot of times, it's left up to the two of them to figure out the hours. Many stores do the 12 hour deal with maybe 1 day of overlap. Some busier stores decide to do 2 days of overlap.

the store i work at is kinda busy..we have two pharmacist and one floater. The floater works 20 hrs a week at my store (he overlaps for 3 hrs with the pharmacists) and the other two main pharmacists split the hours between them. The two main pharmacists, one gets every 3rd weekend off and the other gets every 2nd weekend off...sometimes on pharmacist might knot work 3 days str8 depends on how they schedule it..

So, I've worked at Publix as a cashier for over a year now, and need to transfer to pharmacy to get some experience before applying to pharmacy college.
My question is: what kind of shifts do techs get? Would I be able to work 3:30-8 a couple weekdays and then anything on weekends? Or must techs also suffer 10-12 hour shifts? And would I still be able to request certain days off?

So, I've worked at Publix as a cashier for over a year now, and need to transfer to pharmacy to get some experience before applying to pharmacy college.
My question is: what kind of shifts do techs get? Would I be able to work 3:30-8 a couple weekdays and then anything on weekends? Or must techs also suffer 10-12 hour shifts? And would I still be able to request certain days off?
Tech schedules are not structured like pharmacists' schedules. Chances are, you will never work a 9-9. Tech 1 at our store is full-time, so most of the time he/she gets 40 hours and a 11-7 schedule Mon-Fri. Tech 2 at our store is part-time, so most of the time he/she gets 20 hours, and usually works a 2-6 schedule Mon-Fri. Basically, part-time techs are usually scheduled at the busiest times of the day for your pharmacy, so it will vary.

If you talk to a pharmacist at your store, you can probably get more information on the schedule. By the way, what division are you in?

3:30 - 8 would be a VERY common shift, especially for a part timer. Lots of people come in around that time, and especially at the moderately busy pharmacies w/ 1 full-time, they usually have at least 2 techs in that time period. Publix is great to work for, been there for 5 years since the old bagging days :) The pharmacy is so much cooler, it's like a separate branch of publix.

12 hr shift? i wish my pharmacist would try me like a bitch like that i show him something...but ne wayz u would probably get through into the the fire with a 4-8 shifts till you understand the work flow...

12 hr shift? i wish my pharmacist would try me like a bitch like that i show him something...but ne wayz u would probably get through into the the fire with a 4-8 shifts till you understand the work flow...

Um, what?
Translation: 12 hour shift? I'd like to see my pharmacist pull that trick on me. You will probably start out with the 4-8PM shift until you get comfortable with the way things are run.

:)

Reactions: 1 user
Is english your second language, or are you the type of low quality "professional" being produced by some pharmacy school?

Is english your second language, or are you the type of low quality "professional" being produced by some pharmacy school?

lol..wow you sound like one of those kids that gets scare when they see a big black guy way down the street:scared::scared:

..but ne ways im in P-2 and ur not even in yet..get on my level before you talk smack son..:laugh::laugh::eek::eek:...act professional when I need to be and have fun anytime else...you one of those kids that prib get mad at people like me who sleep in class, dont come to class, or goof off in class and still do better than you in school..wait wait i mean in LIFE!!! :laugh::laugh:

this sounds like ur best comeback..and thats sad son:thumbdown:thumbdown

Translation: 12 hour shift? I'd like to see my pharmacist pull that trick on me. You will probably start out with the 4-8PM shift until you get comfortable with the way things are run.

:)

lol..thx we got slow people here

Just when I had faith in the pharmacy profession, it looks like the admissions committee slipped up on this quality example of a pharmacist.

deleted post...realize im wasting time and brain matter when you speak..im out!!

Folks, lets get this thread back on it's original and intended topic: Publix Pharmacy.

Folks, lets get this thread back on it's original and intended topic: Publix Pharmacy.

OK - I'll try. Anybody have an update on their new computer system - has anybody used it yet, do you see what you like?

Also, can any interns comment on what they see in terms of Publix hiring their own interns as pharmacists after graduation? Any signon bonuses? Do you feel there is a big advantage to being employed by them while in school?

OK - I'll try. Anybody have an update on their new computer system - has anybody used it yet, do you see what you like?

Also, can any interns comment on what they see in terms of Publix hiring their own interns as pharmacists after graduation? Any signon bonuses? Do you feel there is a big advantage to being employed by them while in school?

My store wont be getting the new system until May..:thumbdown:thumbdown

if your going to work for publix RIGHT after you graduate FULL TIME..then I would advise you to take the scholarship that they offer you while you work for them

Computer system - We are not scheduled get ERX until later this year, so I don't really know any more about that.

Hiring of interns - I cannot answer from an official standpoint, so I'd ask some of the pharmacists around you (assuming you work for Publix, which I'm guessing you do). Some of our areas have dire shortages; South Carolina comes to mind as one. In those areas especially, it should not be too terribly hard to land a pharmacist job after graduation. Unless you do something terrible, I would imagine its not too hard to land a job.

My store wont be getting the new system until May..:thumbdown:thumbdown

if your going to work for publix RIGHT after you graduate FULL TIME..then I would advise you to take the scholarship that they offer you while you work for them
That's probably a good idea. I believe we have one of the highest tuition reimbursement programs by amount. It amounts to somewhere around 20k after four years of pharmacy school, and that does not include the financial assistance that you get from Publix if you claim yourself as a Pre-Pharm during your undergrad years. (This, obviously, is not as much as you get during pharmacy school.)

Computer system - We are not scheduled get ERX until later this year, so I don't really know any more about that.

Hiring of interns - I cannot answer from an official standpoint, so I'd ask some of the pharmacists around you (assuming you work for Publix, which I'm guessing you do). Some of our areas have dire shortages; South Carolina comes to mind as one. In those areas especially, it should not be too terribly hard to land a pharmacist job after graduation. Unless you do something terrible, I would imagine its not too hard to land a job.

are you from south carolina? if you are, im sure you can figure out why no one wants to work for wade cobb!

That's probably a good idea. I believe we have one of the highest tuition reimbursement programs by amount. It amounts to somewhere around 20k after four years of pharmacy school, and that does not include the financial assistance that you get from Publix if you claim yourself as a Pre-Pharm during your undergrad years. (This, obviously, is not as much as you get during pharmacy school.)

I never encourage people with these BS programs. Its a guarantee that you will not get what you want when you graduate. Plus, coming in as a P1 and wanting to do retail, your mind will change several times before you graduate. Mine did...I went from publix to wanting to do military, then residency, then nuclear, then back to residency, then I graduated and ended up with a government job! dont get me wrong, Publix is an AWESOME company to work for but don't ever get locked into that kind of scholarship deal

are you from south carolina? if you are, im sure you can figure out why no one wants to work for wade cobb!
Wade Cobb is not the only supervisor in SC. That's all I'm gonna say about that. ;)

I never encourage people with these BS programs. Its a guarantee that you will not get what you want when you graduate. Plus, coming in as a P1 and wanting to do retail, your mind will change several times before you graduate. Mine did...I went from publix to wanting to do military, then residency, then nuclear, then back to residency, then I graduated and ended up with a government job! dont get me wrong, Publix is an AWESOME company to work for but don't ever get locked into that kind of scholarship deal
That's true as well. You just have to weigh all of your options. If you don't get the financial assistance, you will get a sign-on bonus, which could be larger than the 20k depending on the area. (I believe that if you take out financial assistance, you don't get a sign-on bonus, but I could be wrong.)

Wade Cobb is not the only supervisor in SC. That's all I'm gonna say about that. ;)

you are so lucky...thats not how it used to be as of a year ago believe it or not!

I went from publix to wanting to do military, then residency, then nuclear, then back to residency, then I graduated and ended up with a government job! dont get me wrong, Publix is an AWESOME company to work for but don't ever get locked into that kind of scholarship deal

When did you consider nuclear?!?!

No I don't actually work for Publix right now. However, I interviewed a grocery store pharmacist for a project (not Publix, but another chain), and this person really got me to thinking about grocery store as an alternative to the CVS/Wags/RA options. I'm pretty sure at this point that I want to do community pharmacy, but I'm not at all sure that I want to do it in a large chain.

When did you consider nuclear?!?!
back in 2004/2005 ish. It's still something I think about doing when I am done with my current job. my whole goal in life is to do something different that most people don't do/consider

No I don't actually work for Publix right now. However, I interviewed a grocery store pharmacist for a project (not Publix, but another chain), and this person really got me to thinking about grocery store as an alternative to the CVS/Wags/RA options. I'm pretty sure at this point that I want to do community pharmacy, but I'm not at all sure that I want to do it in a large chain.
Publix is a great place to work, especially in comparison to CVS or Walgreens. We have 12 hour shifts, but most of our stores are fairly slow. We also use PDX, but we are in the process of moving over to a new, less archaic system.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Publix is a great place to work, especially in comparison to CVS or Walgreens. We have 12 hour shifts, but most of our stores are fairly slow. We also use PDX, but we are in the process of moving over to a new, less archaic system.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

So, do the pharmacists work one long week and one short week??

See PMart's post in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=580546

He is a Publix pharmacist and works an average of 38.5 hours a week. He works one long and one short week.

The pharmacist at my home store works one 36 hour week and one 44 hour week to get 80 hrs total. But I believe the DM makes the schedule so the hours can vary.

From what I've seen Publix can be just as crazy as CVS, maybe moreso on some days considering the limited staffing. Phones are constantly ringing, counter always packed with scripts to be filled, and there are always lines in the windows. I had no idea! With 1 pharmacist and 1 tech/intern, this can get a bit overwhelming. Then again it could just be my crazy district.

The pharmacist at my home store works one 36 hour week and one 44 hour week to get 80 hrs total. But I believe the DM makes the schedule so the hours can vary.

From what I've seen Publix can be just as crazy as CVS, maybe moreso on some days considering the limited staffing. Phones are constantly ringing, counter always packed with scripts to be filled, and there are always lines in the windows. I had no idea! With 1 pharmacist and 1 tech/intern, this can get a bit overwhelming. Then again it could just be my crazy district.

The DM does not make the schedule, that is the job of the Pharmacy Manager and usually is made in conjunction with the partner pharmacist. If you are in need of a floater, (vacation, sick, etc.) we have district schedulers that will do that.

Anyone with news, updates, or questions? This thread seems to have died off; it was going pretty strong there for a while. ;)

A question for GodsSon2011 or any other interns out there: What uniform do you wear? Isn't the intern uniform a white pharmacist's coat and a green nametag? I am under the impression that it is different from the tech uniform; at least thats what the uniform guidelines poster in our breakroom says.