Official Sd Publix Pharmacy Thread!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A question for GodsSon2011 or any other interns out there: What uniform do you wear? Isn't the intern uniform a white pharmacist's coat and a green nametag? I am under the impression that it is different from the tech uniform; at least thats what the uniform guidelines poster in our breakroom says.
have you thought about asking your manager?

and yes, whatever the guidelines say in the breakroom is the rule.

Members don't see this ad.

have you thought about asking your manager?

and yes, whatever the guidelines say in the breakroom is the rule.
LOL, yes, I have thought of that, but I wanted to see if other stores did it the same way.

Also, a question for you, since you've worked for Publix-- do you think that Publix is a better place to work than, say, Walgreens?

LOL, yes, I have thought of that, but I wanted to see if other stores did it the same way.

Also, a question for you, since you've worked for Publix-- do you think that Publix is a better place to work than, say, Walgreens?
I'd still be working for Publix today if I wanted to continue to work in retail...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd still be working for Publix today if I wanted to continue to work in retail...
It just seems like their operation is so... archaic when compared to Walgreens.

It just seems like their operation is so... archaic when compared to Walgreens.
your comment is quite naive...perhaps you should get a job at walgreens and see what the difference is...

Archaic? You mean pharmacists are still given the time and resources to practice community pharmacy as it should be (or closer to it anyways?). I suppose you're right then.

Isn't it sad? New grads think CVS and Walgreens are the progressive practice of pharmacy.

The answer is no...you are not supposed to spend a 14 hour shift with no breaks never once looking up from the verification computer or speaking to anyone. No matter how great the computer system is that is not pharmacy.

First, I was not loking to start some sort of chain vs. Chain firestorm. I simply eanted to hear from someone who had worked at Publix before. I lik Publix, just trying to consider everything.
Archaic? You mean pharmacists are still given the time and resources to practice community pharmacy as it should be (or closer to it anyways?). I suppose you're right then.
No, I was specifically talking about their technology. Publix still uses PDX, and they are in the process of upgrading, but the upgrade process isn't going too well.
your comment is quite naive...perhaps you should get a job at walgreens and see what the difference is...
Why do you say that?
Isn't it sad? New grads think CVS and Walgreens are the progressive practice of pharmacy.

The answer is no...you are not supposed to spend a 14 hour shift with no breaks never once looking up from the verification computer or speaking to anyone. No matter how great the computer system is that is not pharmacy.
I would never consider CVS. I am talking aout Walgreens; they have 8hr shifts.

A question for GodsSon2011 or any other interns out there: What uniform do you wear? Isn't the intern uniform a white pharmacist's coat and a green nametag? I am under the impression that it is different from the tech uniform; at least thats what the uniform guidelines poster in our breakroom says.

same blue uniform as a tech..as interns we get to dress professional and dont have to wear that crappy tie publix give your..we can add a little style to the uni...ohh our name tag identifies us as interns also.

I know about the tuition reimbursement program, if I only I had joined sooner.. But does publix offer any student loan reimbursement?

Also, anyone have any experience with the new system??

I know about the tuition reimbursement program, if I only I had joined sooner.. But does publix offer any student loan reimbursement?

Also, anyone have any experience with the new system??
What do you mean by student loan reimbursement? If you mean getting reimbursed after pharmacy school, I don't believe they will do that.

Yes, Publix does have a tuition reimbursement program for pharmacy school as well as undergrad: http://www.publix.com/careers/whypublix/TuitionReimbursement.do

As for Walgreens vs. Publix, the Walgreens system I thought sucked in the third party aspect. PDX may look archaic, but at least it tells you what you have on-hand. At least we couldn't figure out how to check the inventory in the computer vs. on-hand when I worked for Walgreens, lol. Publix is more customer-oriented, and the heads over at Walgreens are more into the bottom line than customer service, and I see this both as a customer and employee (at least in comparison to Publix). I couldn't stand it.

Last edited:
Sorry to keep bumping this thread.. but how long after graduation does Publix give you take the Naplex before just throwing you out there? :oops: I assume that's how it goes. I've heard of grad. interns with other companies holding out on the Naplex for 6+ months. What do you all recommend? I wish there was some kinda manual stating all of this stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to keep bumping this thread.. but how long after graduation does Publix give you take the Naplex before just throwing you out there? :oops: I assume that's how it goes. I've heard of grad. interns with other companies holding out on the Naplex for 6+ months. What do you all recommend? I wish there was some kinda manual stating all of this stuff.

after you graduate you got 250 work hrs to pass the Naplex before they reduce your hr rate from grad intern to regular intern..which is like 1-2 months

I have worked as a pharmacist for a large retail chain for over 15 years and am exhausted. Thinking about switching to Publix...any advice?

I have worked as a pharmacist for a large retail chain for over 15 years and am exhausted. Thinking about switching to Publix...any advice?
Publix isn´t a bad place to work...its actually kind of nice but retail is still retail. You will still do at least 2 weekends a month and work nights. Most dont have drive thru though so thats plus.

If you want most weekends and nights off or limited hours on saturday, Government service, either GS or Contract position, at a VA or military base is the way to go.

lol..wow you sound like one of those kids that gets scare when they see a big black guy way down the street:scared::scared:

..but ne ways im in P-2 and ur not even in yet..get on my level before you talk smack son..:laugh::laugh:...act professional when I need to be and have fun anytime else...you one of those kids that prib get mad at people like me who sleep in class, dont come to class, or goof off in class and still do better than you in school..wait wait i mean in LIFE!!! :laugh::laugh:

this sounds like ur best comeback..and thats sad son:thumbdown:thumbdown

:thumbup::laugh: yep godsson , people need to lighten up around here, bigtime. PS is your name derived from the 2002 album?

same blue uniform as a tech..as interns we get to dress professional and dont have to wear that crappy tie publix give your..we can add a little style to the uni...ohh our name tag identifies us as interns also.

The stores where I work here at school require that I wear a white coat, my nametag that identifies me as an intern, and professional dress. I've worked at my home store for 4 years come May though, and my pharmacists are cool with me wearing just a nametag and professional dress if I don't want to wear the white coat (unless someone *important* is visiting of course).

BUMP!~

I've only worked at Publix for a few months, but so far it's nothing like what everyone says about retail. We're closed every single holiday, and we're only open 9-9 M-F, 9-7 Sat, and 10-5 Sun. I don't think it's too bad at all. We're one of the busiest stores in the Miami district and I still like it.

I always liked Piggly Wiggly.

I miss Piggly Wiggly!!! My dad used to live in Savannah, GA and I always thought that place was hilarious. We don't have them in south FL.

BUMP!~

I've only worked at Publix for a few months, but so far it's nothing like what everyone says about retail. We're closed every single holiday, and we're only open 9-9 M-F, 9-7 Sat, and 10-5 Sun. I don't think it's too bad at all. We're one of the busiest stores in the Miami district and I still like it.

I miss Piggly Wiggly!!! My dad used to live in Savannah, GA and I always thought that place was hilarious. We don't have them in south FL.
Love the avatar...

store 10 was my stomping ground! (and I do not speak spanish!)

Love the avatar...

store 10 was my stomping ground! (and I do not speak spanish!)

West Flagler!!! :smuggrin: ... I used to live off 57th ave and 8th street and my Spanish is horrendous myself. I also used to live off 107th ave and Sunset Dr and I'd have to drive over to W Flagler and 87th every month to pay my landlords...

I'm not technically in Miami right now though... I'm at store 500 in the Keys, but we've been getting floaters and stuff this week from Miami since our new pharmacist is in training up there still.

But yes... I love my avatar too :D I'm going to miss being close enough to the games this year. :cry:

Does Publix make you sign a non-compete clause? I'm a tech there, and was thinking of getting more experience at a hospital, but not sure if I'm allowed? Just figured I would ask in here.

Does Publix make you sign a non-compete clause? I'm a tech there, and was thinking of getting more experience at a hospital, but not sure if I'm allowed? Just figured I would ask in here.

Publix does not let you work for direct competitors. You can work inpatient for sure, but I'd check with your manager before taking an outpatient job.