|-Official-| Secondary Essay Prompts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone have albany's and baylor's secondary????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

1. In a few sentences, describe the practice you envision yourself participating in ten years from now.

The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a
person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that
you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material
will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

Can someone please tell me the specifics of the NYMC secondary? I submitted it already and now I can't print a copy for my own records (I can't even access the application anymore).

This would be a big help..thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne State:
Choose 1 from each group.

Group I
A. Describe experience with others from diverse backgrounds, what you learned, etc.
B. Discuss concept of cultural diversity and how relevant to practice of medicine
C. Personal challenges anticipated @ urban medical school

Group II.
A. What (non-family) individual has had the most influence on you. Why?
B. Describe toughest challenge & how handled.
C. Most significant event or accomplishment.

Group III (re-app only)
A. What is your understanding of why you have not been accepted before? What did you change to get it now?

Sorry everybody for not keeping up with this thread. If I have some time tonight or tomorrow I will sit down and try to update the original list with all the new info. I figure it's probably worth it, because then we can keep it around for next year's people to look at when they need it. I've just been insanely busy lately :)

The Cincinnati secondary no longer has the following two questions:

Please LIST activities which best demonstrate your willingness to help others. Please limit your list to no more than 5 experiences. You do not need to include a description.

Please LIST activities which best describe your exploration of medicine. Please limit your list to no more than 5 experiences which were the most meaningful to you. You do not need to include a description.

just a heads up...

Okay the list is up to date :)

tigress said:
Okay the list is up to date :)
One more for 'ya!

Michigan State CHM:

1. After reviewing the mission of the College of Human Medicine and reflecting on life experiences that have had the most significant impact on your decision to become a physician, please discuss your experiences and your goals in terms of the mission of the College of Human Medicine. (0/1900 characters)

2. 2. Discuss a compassionate or altruistic activity that you have been involved in. (0/1900 characters)

3. Consider a time that you experienced failure, were disappointed in yourself, or fell short of the expectations of others. How did you respond to this experience? What did you learn from this experience? (0/1900 characters)

Questions for UC Davis:
1) Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine? Limit your response to 6000 characters.
2) Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why? Limit your response to 6000 characters.
3) Each applicant brings with them goals of what they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their larger dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. In a brief paragraph, please describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life. Limit your response to 6000 characters.
Optional Essays:
1) Clinical Involvement: Pick one activity and describe what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (Limit to 6000 char.)
2) Community Service: Pick one activity in the last FOUR YEARS and describe what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (Limit to 6000 char.)
3) Research: Pick one activity in the last FOUR YEARS and describe what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (Limit to 6000 char.)
4) Leadership: Pick one activity in the last FOUR YEARS and describe what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (Limit to 6000 char.)
5) Organized Extracurricular Activities: Pick one activity in the last FOUR YEARS and describe what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (Limit to 6000 char.)
6) Other work experience: Pick one activity in the last FOUR YEARS and describe what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (Limit to 6000 char.)

UCLA:
1) Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life? (800 char.)
2) What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated? (800 char.)
3) What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important? (800 char.)
4) What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 char.)
5) Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth. (800 char.)
6) List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first). (800 char.)
7) Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal? (800 char.)

Why does the Tulane secondary ask "Why Temple?"

I can’t believe this thread does exist. It's wonderful

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone post Loyola's secondary essay prompts? Have they changed any since last year?

ESSAY (UNC)
(Please answer either section I or II)

Personal Qualities

I. Among other qualities, we seek candidates who bring commitment, initiative, and independence to their volunteer activities, research projects, and/or health-related employment. Please describe an activity in which you have participated that exemplifies these qualities, as they relate to medicine. (If you need more space please add additional pages.)

Bulleted Points Your Interviewer Needs to Know

II. Please list five qualities that you possess that are important for an interviewer to know about you.

NYMC

No prompts - just relative/alumni information and LOR's.

Oh, and a $100 dollar fee :D

Hey does Indiana U have any questions we need to answer? I keep reading on the interview feedback about people and the things they wrote on their app, but is it the AMCAS they're talking about. Tell me now cuz my interview's in a WEEK!!!!!

Why is this thread no longer sticky?

jr2006 said:
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone post Loyola's secondary essay prompts? Have they changed any since last year?

1) What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

2) Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

3) How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities which reinforced your decision.

4) What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?

Does anyone know the link to the PDF secondaries that SDNers formatted so that they can be filled in on the computer? Thanks!

Thanks jtank for the Loyola post.

Anyone know the Secondary Application Prompts for University of Arizona??

Okay - its late for now, but next year you can say, "Last year's was...."

UMass questions on the secondary this year were:

1) Please describe your attachment to Massachusetts
2) What are your future medical career plans?
3) What career would you choose if medicine were simply not an option?
4) Why?

Again, this will only be good for next year, but....

"At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe how you foster growth and discovery in one aspect of your life (academic or personal)."

One more...

1) Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.
2) What do you think you will like best about being a physician?
3) What do you think you will like least about being a physician?
4) Describe yourself & your medical career as you see it ten years from now.
5) Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

There's about a paragraph's worth of space to write for each.

Does anyone have the secondary essay prompts for Howard University? Or anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks.

Could someone please post a more specific version of the Baylor secondary, including word or character limits? Thank you.

Do medical schools tend to ask for updated transcripts during the secondaries or do you have to send them on your own? Should you even send them on your own if they are not requested?

Does anyone have secondary appl info on Medical College of Georgia? Thanks

This year Yale only has one essay and it is: "Please use this space to write an essay in which you discuss your interest in the Yale University School of Medicine." (500 words or less)

They also ask you some basic information, including ranking your ECs and Honors in the order they are most important and education/employment of your parents.

It is online and you can log into it even before you submit the AMCAS.

Trying to get a head start as I'll be in Africa much of this summer.

Does anyone remember length requirements for the USC secondary?

Perhaps I'll make a seperate thread.

yobynaes said:
does brown has a secondary? :confused:

Yes, and I think their essay was pretty much, Why Brown? Although I did fill out a lot of secondaries and don't have them with me right now, so don't take my word for it.

***NEWB QUESTION ALERT***

For schools that don't have an essay in the secondary...what else is in the application? And in that respect, are secondary's just school-specific essays?

Monarch Kong said:
***NEWB QUESTION ALERT***

For schools that don't have an essay in the secondary...what else is in the application? And in that respect, are secondary's just school-specific essays?

If there's no essay... they'll just ask you state-residency stuff and request a big-fat check... but most secondary essays are school specific- why do you want to come here type questions... and the length requirement on them is generally pretty short... :luck:

Just thought I'd say that the Columbia secondary for this year has barely changed at all, it looks like only some of the character limits were changed slightly. Here's the questions (basically the same as the ones on the first page):

1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2475 CHARACTERS.

2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3. Please list collegiate honors,awards, and memberships in honorary societies*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*
LIMIT WRITING TO 200 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1100 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1300 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

7. If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here. Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges. The only exception is courses that do not fit into the course history pages. For courses that do not fit into the course history pages, upload a document at the bottom of the Additional Course History section. You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

Still a big pain in the ass :thumbdown:

I decided to bump this. Is it true that most of these haven't changed since '05?

Do most people get their secondaries after the primary is verified by amcas?

Is there a deadline for submitting secondaries? why does everyone say its better to submit them within a week?

I was gonna say..."shemarty has competition!" until I noticed the date of the OP's post.

Do most people get their secondaries after the primary is verified by amcas?

Is there a deadline for submitting secondaries? why does everyone say its better to submit them within a week?

Tokyoalisa1,

There is a secondary application thread for the 2008-2009 application year :
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=530082

It's frequented by many people who are also applying this year who can answer your questions.

It's probably best to use that one for current questions rather than adding to a 3-year old thread.

Shemarty

ThreadNecro.jpg