*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT on September 10th, who else?

Lets form an awesome support system!

If this has already been created (I searched for a few minutes) someone let me know and I will delete it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Count me in. I'm rescheduling from June to September since I won't be applying this cycle I figured I may give myself more studying time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken a diagnostic yet? I have not taken organic chemistry 2 or physics 2 and I got a 501. I was also a bit rushed so I think I am in a good place score wise... my state schools have an average MCAT score of ~510.

That's a good score and still have a few months to improve. Have you finished content review ?

It's been 5 years since I took o Chem and physics and about 4 for biochem. So need to brush up quite a bit but feel we have enough time.

So I am going through the EK in lecture questions at the end of the chapters (not the 30 minute exams) and I am missing 1-2 per 8-10 questions. Not yet sure if I should be worried or not.

So I am going through the EK in lecture questions at the end of the chapters (not the 30 minute exams) and I am missing 1-2 per 8-10 questions. Not yet sure if I should be worried or not.

You should be solid come test day. Just make note of what you got wrong but seems good to me so far. How many hours are you studying per day

You should be solid come test day. Just make note of what you got wrong but seems good to me so far. How many hours are you studying per day

Anywhere from 2-6 depending on productivity. I sometimes can get through 3 chapters/day of the bio material since it was my major.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am following Nymeria's study plan (a sticky post), so I am using the majority of the BR set, and then some other books like EK1001, Kaplan biochem, next step psych/soc, and TPR hyperlearning

Count me in!

I just recently bought the EK books. Hopefully, they work for me as a non trad.

Reactions: 1 user
I switched from using the Kaplan books over to EK. I took classes such as chemistry about 3 years ago so I needed a thorough review. I have been pleased overall so far.

Awesome! Then I won't worry so much. I'll probably supplement what I don't grasp with Khan Academy.

Alright guys, took my last final today. I guess I'll start studying tomorrow? I have a schedule. But I'm not sure, do people do stuff like take notes as they study? Make Anki cards? Keep a log? I want to be prepared.

Alright guys, took my last final today. I guess I'll start studying tomorrow? I have a schedule. But I'm not sure, do people do stuff like take notes as they study? Make Anki cards? Keep a log? I want to be prepared.
I am only taking notes on the things that I know I will not remember and I plan to review that notebook on the days that I review exams. I am making equation sheets for each subject as I go along as well.

I am only taking notes on the things that I know I will not remember and I plan to review that notebook on the days that I review exams. I am making equation sheets for each subject as I go along as well.

I guess I'll do the same and just kind of make Anki cards on stuff that seems important

I guess I'll do the same and just kind of make Anki cards on stuff that seems important

One thing I would suggest is that when you're making Anki cards or writing notes is that you make sure you're learning and creating them as concepts. It's much more beneficial to think of things conceptually than to just do rote memorization.

Hey everyone! I just signed up for Sept. 10th! Looking forward to working with all of you this summer.

I'll be using a combination of 9th EK series, 2016 TBR (excluding verbal and psych), TPR psych/soc, and a TPRH verbal book.

Having said that, I'm a little conflicted as to how I should approach my content review because I've been out of school for 3 years. I was advised to use TBR as my main content review because of how detailed the books are and they're supposed to be great for people that haven't had any prereq exposure in quite some time. I started with TBR Gen. Chem CH1. and would read the examples and solutions without attempting to do the examples myself. I later went on SDN and other members advised that you should be attempting to do the examples first before looking at the solutions. My problem is that since I forgot most of the content I don't even know how to begin attempting the examples without looking at the solutions. I feel like I'm not getting much done just by reading the solutions to the examples and then trying to attempt the passages at the end of the chapter.

Then there's the EK series. I love how concise and straight to the point the chapters are. I also like the fact that they take into account the MCAT passage questions are now based on scientific research articles. It seems that TBR didn't address that part at all from what I've seen so far. So if one was to solely rely on TBR passages then they wouldn't be ready to dissect the research based passages on the real MCAT.

I feel like if I use TBR for my main content review then I'll be good with the material but then I won't know how to apply the knowledge to research based passages on the MCAT. Then if I use EK I'm worried that when test day arrives I'll run into topics I never covered. What's a guy supposed to do?!

Sorry for the lengthy post :(

EDIT: @BerkReviewTeach If you can chime in, would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
I am nearing the end of content review and considering taking an old AAMC exam just to get the first time jitters out of the way and see how I do:)

Thoughts anyone?

Hey everyone! I just signed up for Sept. 10th! Looking forward to working with all of you this summer.

I'll be using a combination of 9th EK series, 2016 TBR (excluding verbal and psych), TPR psych/soc, and a TPRH verbal book.

Having said that, I'm a little conflicted as to how I should approach my content review because I've been out of school for 3 years. I was advised to use TBR as my main content review because of how detailed the books are and they're supposed to be great for people that haven't had any prereq exposure in quite some time. I started with TBR Gen. Chem CH1. and would read the examples and solutions without attempting to do the examples myself. I later went on SDN and other members advised that you should be attempting to do the examples first before looking at the solutions. My problem is that since I forgot most of the content I don't even know how to begin attempting the examples without looking at the solutions. I feel like I'm not getting much done just by reading the solutions to the examples and then trying to attempt the passages at the end of the chapter.

Then there's the EK series. I love how concise and straight to the point the chapters are. I also like the fact that they take into account the MCAT passage questions are now based on scientific research articles. It seems that TBR didn't address that part at all from what I've seen so far. So if one was to solely rely on TBR passages then they wouldn't be ready to dissect the research based passages on the real MCAT.

I feel like if I use TBR for my main content review then I'll be good with the material but then I won't know how to apply the knowledge to research based passages on the MCAT. Then if I use EK I'm worried that when test day arrives I'll run into topics I never covered. What's a guy supposed to do?!

Sorry for the lengthy post :(

EDIT: @BerkReviewTeach If you can chime in, would be much appreciated!

I recommend watching the Khan Academy videos for the subject you're on while using EK. It seems to be working really well for me. The EK questions are supposed to be very representative of the exam itself. But there is nothing wrong with using both books. Just read the chapter in TBR then EK.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

I'll be done with my MCAT / app submission by August and I'm hoping to give back to the community by teaching. I have a short biochem series that I would like to teach where I review high-yield parts of every metabolic pathway for the test.

I want this to be completely free. I imagine hosting 1 hour blocks over Adobe Connect. Just wondering if anyone would be interested? PM me if so! Just posting here because I thought it might be useful review for those in the last month, especially who would like to review more biochem. Metabolic pathways are the foundation for a lot of the C/P and B/B passages which is why I'm focusing on it.

Happy Sunday :)

Reactions: 3 users
I have been averaging about 125/126 on each practice section I have been taking. I find that when I am reviewing the questions, it is over silly mistakes and I was stuck between two answer choices (then I always end up picking the wrong one) What gives??

If this didn't happen I could easily be scoring 127 or higher on the sections. I don't know if I am rushing, anxious or a combination of both.

It depends on the practice material, but generally people do much better on the real exam than they do on the practice exams from the test prep companies.

I'm not sure I'm going to take it on 9/10...I've still got physics this summer and volunteering and work and its difficult to squeeze MCAT prep in. I am going to take a full length practice exam around the end of this month and may delay...my bio, chem, a/w, p/s are set, but my ochem and biochem and physics are still in need of repair and I don't think I'll have the time to fix by 9/10.

Started studying this week for 9/10. Pretty much using NextStep's content outline and some old PR review books/PR science workbook, old textbooks and some open source texts. Also taking a 6 week Gross Anat course starting next monday in a special master's program. I've got my work cut out for me... Best of luck to all.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially rescheduled my MCAT for this date! Have been hitting the books hard and plan to continue throughout the summer :)

I am having an awful time with EK physics. Can anyone recommend an alternative content review method? I am finished with all other content review.

(I'm hopeless at physics) I used Kaplan's physics book and it worked for me! Also supplemented with Brightstorm/Khan videos
I agree, Kaplan is great!! I haven't started physics review since I just finished it up in school but will be using my Kaplan book!

Yep, next dates won't be until January!

Thanks. September 10th is the last date correct? For some reason I wish they had a later September date. A 3 month buffer makes me feel comfortable lol.

I was going to take it earlier in the summer, but I won't be able to finish my studying. Sucks I need to postpone my app till next cycle.

Thanks. September 10th is the last date correct? For some reason I wish they had a later September date. A 3 month buffer makes me feel comfortable lol.

I was going to take it earlier in the summer, but I won't be able to finish my studying. Sucks I need to postpone my app till next cycle.
Yes, the 10th is the last date. Lol, I know how you feel! 3 months is plenty of time for me to crack down since I've been on-again-off-again studying since February. I'm sure postponing will work out in your favor! I struggled deciding whether or not to take a gap year and apply next year and in the end decided that it would be the best option for me :)

Yes, the 10th is the last date. Lol, I know how you feel! 3 months is plenty of time for me to crack down since I've been on-again-off-again studying since February. I'm sure postponing will work out in your favor! I struggled deciding whether or not to take a gap year and apply next year and in the end decided that it would be the best option for me :)

Same with the on and off studying. Coincidentally, I've been studying since around February too. How do you plan on relearning the stuff from back then? I need to really briefly relearn the material since it's been a while (especially the physical sciences/orgo).

Same with the on and off studying. Coincidentally, I've been studying since around February too. How do you plan on relearning the stuff from back then? I need to really briefly relearn the material since it's been a while (especially the physical sciences/orgo).

Same!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am doing a lot of content review for orgo and the physical sciences, I have Kaplan review books as well as textbooks but I decided not to read my textbook because theres just so much information. On top of studying from the Kaplan review books, I took a prep course so I'll be taking section tests to test my knowledge as well as the section q-bank quizzes/tests from aamc!

:soexcited:Just finished a full length and my score increased 9 points after starting some content review!

Reactions: 3 users