*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT on September 10th, who else?

Lets form an awesome support system!

If this has already been created (I searched for a few minutes) someone let me know and I will delete it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Late applicants unite! I'm in the same boat honigbiene. Everything is complete from my end, just waiting for these MCAT scores to be sent. I do believe the whole "early application" sentiment is over exaggerated. I think this is especially true if you're applying MD/PhD. My school's Admission's Office assured me that October 12 is perfectly fine. I'm only applying MSTP so timing may not be as critical seeing as they only get 200-300 applications and interview through February.
I have actually heard out of the mouths of adcoms that they are the hardest on the earliest applicants, because they know how many more applicants are yet to come. Like-- why compromise by accepting a less than stellar applicant right away, and then have to turn down a bunch of amazing applicants later on because you gave the spot away.
It's obviously risky to be the very last, but being an early applicant is stressed way too much on these boards.
And actually, my state school does not use a rolling admissions. They have a deadline of November 1st, and then they don't start doing interviews until the end of December.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a nightmare that it was October 12th, and I went to open my score, and found out that I had accidentally voided my score. And today I'm panicking and legit cannot remember for sure, without a doubt, making certain that the choice for scoring my exam was the one selected when I hit submit.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes!! I took melatonin before I went to sleep but I still woke up a few times in the night- definitely had some weird af dreams that night and woke up not feeling fresh at all :/ I think my C/P was definitely affected by my lack of sleep
I took melatonin as well, on top of some NyQuil . I woke up three times due to nightmares. I definitely got more sleep this time around if compared to my first MCAT attempt. I know my C/P was affected because of my lack of sleep, since I noticed throughout my practice tests that if I achieved 8 hrs of sleep the night before a practice test, I ended up doing much better overall (no brainer). I'm not a morning test taker, and I wish I knew how to get a full night of sleep because that could improve my score by a significant amount. I want this so bad!

I took melatonin as well, on top of some NyQuil . I woke up three times due to nightmares. I definitely got more sleep this time around if compared to my first MCAT attempt. I know my C/P was affected because of my lack of sleep, since I noticed throughout my practice tests that if I achieved 8 hrs of sleep the night before a practice test, I ended up doing much better overall (no brainer). I'm not a morning test taker, and I wish I knew how to get a full night of sleep because that could improve my score by a significant amount. I want this so bad!
This is just for future reference, but melatonin is known for causing nightmares and disturbing sleep. If you don't use it regularly to know how it affects you, it's probably a good idea to skip before an important day.

The easiest way for me to fall asleep was swim for 1 hour - 2 hours the night before my exam. I knocked out like a baby. Would recommend moderately strenuous exercise and a big meal a couple hours before you go to sleep.

Last edited:
The easiest way for me to fall asleep was swim for 1 hour - 2 hours the night before my exam. I knocked out like a baby. Would recommend moderately strenuous exercise and a big meal a couple hours before you go to sleep.
This is great advice. Hoping that I would never have to take this exam again. But in case that the MCAT gods were not on my side last Saturday, I will attempt this if I have to be back in there for the last time.

How many of you received PMs from medschoolplease123 asking to exchange questions/answers from Saturday's exam?

I am quite relieved after reading this.

C/P: There were some really hard and easy questions, but the passages WERE confusing. I didn't have time and felt rushed.,

CARS: I didn't think CARS was bad for me. The passages were mostly easy.

B/B: I feel the same way as you

Psych: Felt easy, so I took my sweet time!

I was wondering, what did you get on the AAMC FL scored? :)

That's good to hear as well! I got a 510 on the scored, which I would be ecstatic to get after taking the exam lol. What about you?

About one month ago, I took the AAMC scored. This was before I started studying, to be used as my baseline. I got a 499. Then after I had studied for about a week and a half, I took the Next Step #1 and got a 506. Then about a week later, took NS #4 and got a 505.
The NS are supposed to be really hard, and you're supposed to add 5-6 points to estimate your score on the real test day. That would put me at like a 510. Which doesn't make sense at all, considering my AAMC score of 499 just a couple weeks before.

So I really have no idea what to expect with my score. I would be ecstatic with a 506. However, walking away from that test on saturday, I think there's a very real chance I scored below a 500.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello guys!
I hope you guys did well on the exam!
I have a quick question regarding physics
(I just started to study for MCAT)
I was wondering If I need to know uniform circular motion, law of gravitation, centripetal force, incline/pulleys, projectile motion

I am just so confused about this
because I am trying to follow the 3 month schedule and it says that little different than aamc

thank you

Here is a link to the official AAMC content list:
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...a-4c00-83dd-c17cee034c47/mcat2015-content.pdf

We are strictly prohibited from discussing the content in any greater detail than what is published on this list.
Good luck!

yes I am aware of that
and I am not asking to share anything from MCAT
(sorry If I did not make it clear)
I went to several diff websites (including aamc)
some said center of mass removed n other website said it didn't
that is why I am so confused

whatever is on that outline is fair game

About one month ago, I took the AAMC scored. This was before I started studying, to be used as my baseline. I got a 499. Then after I had studied for about a week and a half, I took the Next Step #1 and got a 506. Then about a week later, took NS #4 and got a 505.
The NS are supposed to be really hard, and you're supposed to add 5-6 points to estimate your score on the real test day. That would put me at like a 510. Which doesn't make sense at all, considering my AAMC score of 499 just a couple weeks before.

So I really have no idea what to expect with my score. I would be ecstatic with a 506. However, walking away from that test on saturday, I think there's a very real chance I scored below a 500.
I took five next step exams, and my average was 505. I took the last NS a week prior to the real deal and got a 506. I took the aamc scored two weeks prior to the real deal and got a 504. I hope and pray the lord that my score is at or above a 506. But as you said, there is also a possibility that I did bad. I'm so scared right now. Don't even know what to do with my life. I need to find a job, since I quit the one I had prior to starting my MCAT studies. I don't even wanna look for a job. All I want to know now is how I did on the exam. Been sitting in my small room all day. I need to start studying in case of a retake.

I took five next step exams, and my average was 505. I took the last NS a week prior to the real deal and got a 506. I took the aamc scored two weeks prior to the real deal and got a 504. I hope and pray the lord that my score is at or above a 506. But as you said, there is also a possibility that I did bad. I'm so scared right now. Don't even know what to do with my life. I need to find a job, since I quit the one I had prior to starting my MCAT studies. I don't even wanna look for a job. All I want to know now is how I did on the exam. Been sitting in my small room all day. I need to start studying in case of a retake.
Thank you. It's encouraging to know that your NS tests matched up well with the AAMC scored when taken close together. Maybe I really did improve my score that much in those few weeks.

hello guys!
I hope you guys did well on the exam!
I have a quick question regarding physics
(I just started to study for MCAT)
I was wondering If I need to know uniform circular motion, law of gravitation, centripetal force, incline/pulleys, projectile motion

I am just so confused about this
because I am trying to follow the 3 month schedule and it says that little different than aamc

thank you
If its outlined on AMCAs MCAT outline, you should know it... which all of that stuff is outlined. Anyway, our exam is inherently different than the one they'll put out in Jan 2017. PS, use all 4 months to study

Man, it really hit me today, I am so lost on how this test went. I just want to know either way! I guess the best thing we can do is not think about it for now...

I hear ya, I have a few other premeds that work in the same lab as me and I am giving them advice about MCAT studying like I know what the heck I am talking about....but I don't even know if I beat this test yet or not! its limbo.

My overarching feeling is pride, that I got it done finally. But worried that for some reason I bombed on test day and will have to retake :dead:

Last edited:
I hear ya, I have a few other premeds that work in the same lab as me and I am giving them advice about MCAT studying like I know what the heck I am talking about....but I don't even know if I beat this test yet or not! its limbo.

My overarching feeling is pride, that I got it done finally. But worried that for some reason I bombed on test day and will have to retake :dead:
I literally feel the same way!!

Took it same day...I'm from Louisiana...had been told by an in state med school that they calc my gpa as my postbacc, its redic higher than other schools would...BUT since I've never had biochem that i could take the MCAT but it was basically futile... SO...I borrowed a friends book from our biochem course and memorized the organic of each interaction of the usual... etc... i was under the impression to know at the very LEAST the basics...done. I reviewed KA and summarized notes to where I could teach them...and actually persuaded afew friends into allowing me to do so... reviewed former classes which I got A's in ...and I can honestly say that nothing I practiced/prepped for helped on anything...you either had it or you didn't... come test day.
I should also note that i had to drive almost 7 hours to Texas to take the test, sit for it, then drive home to study for the first round of tests of the semester... take my advice, if you plan on doing it, DO IT, but do it early so you can at the very least stay in state. I have not ever taken a biochem as stated prior, nor cell. I'm good at orgo and studied my old notes and it was crazy what questions i saw... psych was insanely subjective imo! If only I was an english major. (Yes, I'm being overly vague so i dont violate any rules..if I did it was by accident and i will edit accordingly) it was a CRAZY test experience...ive taken the LSAT, the HESI, now this... and by far this was the most insane ... (BTW high all...been around abit on here..like..afew years now, but usually too busy to chat) :) hope ya'll did better than I did...i have honestly no clue where i stand...i took it cold. Is what it is. But i finished with on average 5 or 6 minutes to spare each section...except one where my conputer FROZE AND LOCKED ME OUT....the other side is that i finished another section with about 15 minutes left... insane is thw only word i can use to describe the experience lol

Last edited:
Took it same day...I'm from Louisiana...had been told by an in state med school that they calc my gpa as my postbacc, its redic higher than other schools would...BUT since I've never had biochem that i could take the MCAT but it was basically futile... SO...I borrowed a friends book from our biochem course and memorized the organic of each interaction of the usual... etc... i was under the impression to know at the very LEAST the basics...done. I reviewed KA and summarized notes to where I could teach them...and actually persuaded afew friends into allowing me to do so... reviewed former classes which I got A's in ...and I can honestly say that nothing I practiced/prepped for helped on anything...you either had it or you didn't... come test day.
I should also note that i had to drive almost 7 hours to Texas to take the test, sit for it, then drive home to study for the first round of tests of the semester... take my advice, if you plan on doing it, DO IT, but do it early so you can at the very least stay in state. I have not ever taken a biochem as stated prior, nor cell. I'm good at orgo and studied my old notes and it was crazy what questions i saw... psych was insanely subjective imo! If only I was an english major. (Yes, I'm being overly vague so i dont violate any rules..if I did it was by accident and i will edit accordingly) it was a CRAZY test experience...ive taken the LSAT, the HESI, now this... and by far this was the most insane ... (BTW high all...been around abit on here..like..afew years now, but usually too busy to chat) :) hope ya'll did better than I did...i have honestly no clue where i stand...i took it cold. Is what it is. But i finished with on average 5 or 6 minutes to spare each section...except one where my conputer FROZE AND LOCKED ME OUT....the other side is that i finished another section with about 15 minutes left... insane is thw only word i can use to describe the experience lol
Hey did you take it in Tyler, tx?

Hey, sorry I am late to the party. I took all 11 of Kaplan's practice tests and scored an average of 513, with a range of 510-517. My scores across sections were even. My AAMC scored was a 521. I do not rememer my unscored score. Most but not all (I think 2) of the Kaplan were taken under test like conditions. The others had to be stopped in the middle because I often have awful test anxiety and became very flustered at unfamiliar questions. The AAMC was test like except I was naked and a little hung over. I also jerked off during the lunch break.

I did not feel surprised by the exam's content or form. While there were concepts that I did not expect, remember, or had ever heard of, and questions I had no idea how to answer, I was not upset and flustered because I felt that each and every practice test was like that. Overall, I thought the practice was quite representative. Of individual sections, it is totally a blur, but I finished each in time, though was not able to check my answers on all. But this was often true of the practice. Knowing my pechant for nervousness, I am surprised how relatively calm and collected I felt during the exam, but I was so worried the days and weeks before and not just after I finished it creeped back. Twice I have had nightmares about taking it since.

Hey, sorry I am late to the party. I took all 11 of Kaplan's practice tests and scored an average of 513, with a range of 510-517. My scores across sections were even. My AAMC scored was a 521. I do not rememer my unscored score. Most but not all (I think 2) of the Kaplan were taken under test like conditions. The others had to be stopped in the middle because I often have awful test anxiety and became very flustered at unfamiliar questions. The AAMC was test like except I was naked and a little hung over. I also jerked off during the lunch break.

I did not feel surprised by the exam's content or form. While there were concepts that I did not expect, remember, or had ever heard of, and questions I had no idea how to answer, I was not upset and flustered because I felt that each and every practice test was like that. Overall, I thought the practice was quite representative. Of individual sections, it is totally a blur, but I finished each in time, though was not able to check my answers on all. But this was often true of the practice. Knowing my pechant for nervousness, I am surprised how relatively calm and collected I felt during the exam, but I was so worried the days and weeks before and not just after I finished it creeped back. Twice I have had nightmares about taking it since.
............ is this a joke? :eek:

Not even, I know I'm not interested in dentistry! Good luck studying for it if you are!

Thanks!

Idk, dentistry seems like a pretty sweet gig. 4 days a week making 180K/year looks really fine.

Just remember everyone who does bad on this MCAT, podiatry school is a thing. After doing research into it, if you can stand feet (pun intended), it seems like a good deal too.

Has anyone been able to successfully report this post?

Thanks!

Idk, dentistry seems like a pretty sweet gig. 4 days a week making 180K/year looks really fine.

Just remember everyone who does bad on this MCAT, podiatry school is a thing. After doing research into it, if you can stand feet (pun intended), it seems like a good deal too.

Honestly this kind of pisses me off. People going into medicine should be doing it because they have a calling for that type of work, not because of lifestyle and income. You should only be making that kind of commitment because there is no other career that you would be satisfied with....the stakes are too great and the sacrifices too many. I work in healthcare closely alongside of doctors, and the ones who went into it for all the wrong reasons are awful doctors and their patients suffer greatly for it.
I find it really hard to believe that someone who wants to be a physician for genuine reasons also would find fulfillment in dentistry or podiatry.

If I don't get into med school, I'm going the PA route, since they can provide a similar type of care in most situations, and have the same provider-patient relationship. If you are seeking a high income career and a great lifestyle then yes, please, pursue dentistry instead and stay far, far away from medicine.

Honestly this kind of pisses me off. People going into medicine should be doing it because they have a calling for that type of work, not because of lifestyle and income. You should only be making that kind of commitment because there is no other career that you would be satisfied with....the stakes are too great and the sacrifices too many. I work in healthcare closely alongside of doctors, and the ones who went into it for all the wrong reasons are awful doctors and their patients suffer greatly for it.
I find it really hard to believe that someone who wants to be a physician for genuine reasons also would find fulfillment in dentistry or podiatry.

If I don't get into med school, I'm going the PA route, since they can provide a similar type of care in most situations, and have the same provider-patient relationship. If you are seeking a high income career and a great lifestyle then yes, please, pursue dentistry instead and stay far, far away from medicine.

You do understand that podiatrists are physicians and surgeons too, right?

spare me the "only go into medicine for Nobel reasons" fluff. GPA and mcat scores wouldn't be nearly as high if doctors only made 60k/year

Hey dude, no one wanna hear your private business! With all due respect (if that exists here), keep it to yourself. Its disgusting

You do understand that podiatrists are physicians and surgeons too, right?

spare me the "only go into medicine for Nobel reasons" fluff. GPA and mcat scores wouldn't be nearly as high if doctors only made 60k/year
Yes, I understand. However, your comment about going into it if you can tolerate feet completely proved my point. You shouldn't become a podiatrist if you can tolerate feet...you should choose that path if you find feet really interesting and enjoyable to problem solve that anatomy.

And yeah, it's not "fluff". It's a critically important component of being a physician. Why do you think schools require you to write so many essays for your application/secondaries trying to tease out your motivations, empathy, etc? It's because people with the wrong motivations have caused an incredible amount of damage to reputation and trust in the medical community.

Oy vey you guys are uptight. Yes, it is a joke, what can I say, I enjoy getting a rise out of people. That said, if you find this disgusting, medicine may be a little intense for you. I would like to add that I also took some sleeping pills before the exam, but do this occasionally, so was not worried. Melatonin does give me strange dreams, but personally I consider this a bonus. However, I took some other one the night before. I was riding an intense nicotine buzz from a cigar before I walked into the testing center, along with a caffeine pill. I reupped with some nicotine gum and a caffeine pill during the lunch break. This use was similar to my practice tests. Other than this, there were no substances involved.

I don't know much about the DAT, but it seems harder to study for, what with all the spatial nonsense. I figure with something like that, you either can do it, or not, its not like you can just begin to cram more facts. But I am curious, anyone who knows better please correct me. I myself am pretty bad with this stuff. I am fairly certain my broken glassware largely financially supported my University's chemistry department.

Oh, also the problem with podiatry school is I believe that while they are easy to get into, unlike medical school it is with the expectation that there will be many drop outs.

Oh, also the problem with podiatry school is I believe that while they are easy to get into, unlike medical school it is with the expectation that there will be many drop outs.

That was true about 3 years ago. Pod schools relied on dropouts in part, to make sure that there would be enough residencies to go around. No doubt you heard of the residency shortages of 2012 and 2013. It was getting so bad that something like 10% of each graduating class wasn't getting a residency during those years. This was due to over accepting qualified applicants during the financial recession years of 2007-2009, where there was a ton of applicants to all sorts of professional schools to avoid the job market. There were boarder line applicants who couldn't get into MD or DO schools, and pod schools ate up those applications.

This shortage was also due to pod schools, at the same time as the above issue, changing the residency requirement from the option of a two year (internal medicine and surgery of the forefoot) to a required three year one (internal medicine and surgery of forefoot, ankle, and soft tissues of the leg). Before this, you could choose 2 or 3 years, and when the mandatory 3 years came around, lots of 2 year programs, who would have taken lower level students who just wanted to work on the forefoot and not do lots of surgery, closed down. All these elements at the same time caused the horror of the residency shortage, and really rocked the pod world to its core.

Fast forward 4 years and things are much better. There is a moratorium on the amount of students pod schools can accept now, if I recall correctly some schools only have like 20 students. So by the time we would graduate, there would be residency slots open.

Pod schools messed up BIG TIME. However, they actively fixed the problem. Nowhere near the level of carribean dropouts or residency problem.

Hope you get into med school with that sense of "humor" :uhno:
What a nasty and silly thing to say. Doctors are people too, and I know many physicians who have a vulgar sense of humor, even in a professional context. Even William Osler, often recognized as the 'father of internal medicine," (I agree the appellation is a bit silly), was known for this. Most famously, he wrote a bogus medical journal article about a condition known as 'penis captivus.' You should read it, its a real riot. I won't joke like that with adcoms. I am not that dumb.

That was true about 3 years ago. Pod schools relied on dropouts in part, to make sure that there would be enough residencies to go around. No doubt you heard of the residency shortages of 2012 and 2013. It was getting so bad that something like 10% of each graduating class wasn't getting a residency during those years. This was due to over accepting qualified applicants during the financial recession years of 2007-2009, where there was a ton of applicants to all sorts of professional schools to avoid the job market. There were boarder line applicants who couldn't get into MD or DO schools, and pod schools ate up those applications.

This shortage was also due to pod schools, at the same time as the above issue, changing the residency requirement from the option of a two year (internal medicine and surgery of the forefoot) to a required three year one (internal medicine and surgery of forefoot, ankle, and soft tissues of the leg). Before this, you could choose 2 or 3 years, and when the mandatory 3 years came around, lots of 2 year programs, who would have taken lower level students who just wanted to work on the forefoot and not do lots of surgery, closed down. All these elements at the same time caused the horror of the residency shortage, and really rocked the pod world to its core.

Fast forward 4 years and things are much better. There is a moratorium on the amount of students pod schools can accept now, if I recall correctly some schools only have like 20 students. So by the time we would graduate, there would be residency slots open.

Pod schools messed up BIG TIME. However, they actively fixed the problem. Nowhere near the level of carribean dropouts or residency problem.
Gosh, a class of only twenty? That could be sort of fun. What is the justification for the existence of podiatry as a separate field though? Is it really so different from the rest of medicine it necessitates a separate four year degree?

What a nasty and silly thing to say. Doctors are people too, and I know many physicians who have a vulgar sense of humor, even in a professional context. Even William Osler, often recognized as the 'father of internal medicine," (I agree the appellation is a bit silly), was known for this. Most famously, he wrote a bogus medical journal article about a condition known as 'penis captivus.' You should read it, its a real riot. I won't joke like that with adcoms. I am not that dumb.
You seem mildly autistic.

Gosh, a class of only twenty? That could be sort of fun. What is the justification for the existence of podiatry as a separate field though? Is it really so different from the rest of medicine it necessitates a separate four year degree?

I think the separation is rooted in history and convenience. For example, why do we have dentists, or optometrists? Because the systems they deal with are usually on the periphery of people's radar. I can tell you from experience, I had no clue just how important dentists were until my cracked tooth started seeping out pus. People just aren't as aware of the alternatives and as such, haven't been absorbed into the mainstream medical model.

I think this is changing however with the implementation of more government control over healthcare, for good or bad. It is good people are having talks about healthcare, but very bad when the government tries to regulate it. Not to go too far down into this rabbit hole, but I foresee a massive problem on the horizon with all these new MD/DO schools opening up with little to no increase in residency. Dentistry has long been separate from the whole takeover, but I Forsee that changing as well.