*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT on September 10th, who else?

Lets form an awesome support system!

If this has already been created (I searched for a few minutes) someone let me know and I will delete it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Gosh, a class of only twenty? That could be sort of fun. What is the justification for the existence of podiatry as a separate field though? Is it really so different from the rest of medicine it necessitates a separate four year degree?
The smallest podiatry class size is 30 students (at one of the most selective schools), the largest is 125 students. Average is probably a little below 100.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

What a nasty and silly thing to say. Doctors are people too, and I know many physicians who have a vulgar sense of humor, even in a professional context. Even William Osler, often recognized as the 'father of internal medicine," (I agree the appellation is a bit silly), was known for this. Most famously, he wrote a bogus medical journal article about a condition known as 'penis captivus.' You should read it, its a real riot. I won't joke like that with adcoms. I am not that dumb.
I went on google to look up the article, but I couldn't find it. All I found was reviews of the article. I think is pretty old--1884, I think. Can you forward me the link if you have access to it?

PS: I like your sense of "dark" humor. I think people on this forum take things to the extremes. Reporting this or that person, ostracizing those that want to go into medicine for financial reasons (maybe if they came from an extreme poverty background they would understand; nothing wrong with helping people and making a descent amount of money at the same time), and--in many occasions--questioning the intellectual abilities of those that decide to venture into other medical professions.
But the good thing is that everyone on this thread--I hope--lives on a free country known as the greatest nation of all. So we are all entitled to freedom of expression.

Man, it really hit me today, I am so lost on how this test went. I just want to know either way! I guess the best thing we can do is not think about it for now...

I feel the same way as you do! What really sucks is that I just started school, and I'm not sure if I should just refrain from studying for the MCAT (in case I need to do a retake) or if I should just wait for my score :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way as you do! What really sucks is that I just started school, and I'm not sure if I should just refrain from studying for the MCAT (in case I need to do a retake) or if I should just wait for my score :(

I hear ya, I am sorta in the same boat, thinking about whether to continue studying now or not. If I don't break a 508 I will probably retake in January. (shudders) The good news is thats some time away, so if you have to study again you have time. I know myself and studying now will not be focused and if anything will stress me out, unless I feel I have to there will be no motivation....I guess some flashcards wouldn't hurt. On the other hand though Im not in school I work 3 jobs and haven't had a social life in months sooooo yeah no chance

I feel your pain! Overtime I think about it my stomach drops like going on a roller coaster lol So horrible. Just block it out of your mind!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thing is, that would be my fourth time taking it. Eventually, we have to move on with our life
Oh, wow. That fact I was not aware of. Well, I totally agree with that statement. Because one field seems out of reach it does not mean you cannot be successful doing something else. This time around was my second. I hope that my actual score resembles my NextStep practice test scores (505-506). If I have to go in there once again, I would do it. But this time around I will take my time and analyze where I do keep erring. Let me know how you do (privately, of course) and what's your final decision is. I'm willing to help if help is wanted. Best of luck mate. May positive vibes bless you.

Oh, wow. That fact I was not aware of. Well, I totally agree with that statement. Because one field seems out of reach it does not mean you cannot be successful doing something else. This time around was my second. I hope that my actual score resembles my NextStep practice test scores (505-506). If I have to go in there once again, I would do it. But this time around I will take my time and analyze where I do keep erring. Let me know how you do (privately, of course) and what's your final decision is. I'm willing to help if help is wanted. Best of luck mate. May positive vibes bless you.

Thanks my man (or woman), appreciate them vibes. Hopefully this is the last time.

I was also scoring 505-506 on the Next Step exams. My highest score was always CARS. Did you take the AAMC scored test near the time of those Next Step scores? Everyone says that the NS exams are harder and the scores are deflated, however on my scored AAMC that I took one month before the exam, I got a 499. So I'm not sure what to predict for my score.

I was also scoring 505-506 on the Next Step exams. My highest score was always CARS. Did you take the AAMC scored test near the time of those Next Step scores? Everyone says that the NS exams are harder and the scores are deflated, however on my scored AAMC that I took one month before the exam, I got a 499. So I'm not sure what to predict for my score.
I took it three weeks out to test date, before taking my last NextStep, since I wanted to thoroughly review it. I scored a 505. CARS has always been my lowest score (English is my second language; that probably explains something). I hate to make predictions. But since I believe in science, I hope the statistics reveal some sort of truth. Two more weeks and we will all find out. Don't be bothered by what you got on your practice tests. After all, the only thing that matters to ADCOMS within the greatest nation of all is how we did on Sept 10, 2016.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I tested Sept 10 as well. Finished in about half the time (with about 30-50 min left on each section after reviewing questions and everything) and felt awesome about it, but now I'm freaking out. I normally test extremely quickly (usually the first done in my midterms and finals), but I'm second guessing myself now and should've taken more time. I guess I'll see Oct 12!

Hey! I tested Sept 10 as well. Finished in about half the time (with about 30-50 min left on each section after reviewing questions and everything) and felt awesome about it, but now I'm freaking out. I normally test extremely quickly (usually the first done in my midterms and finals), but I'm second guessing myself now and should've taken more time. I guess I'll see Oct 12!
What were your practice test results leading up to the exam?

Finishing 50min early on some sections means you were probably skimming over passages missing important detail or you are some freak of nature mcat master.

Nope, they are never released early. Which is very unfortunate.
Scores will be released on that day sometime before 5pm eastern time.
Based on prior experience, scores are released just before 9am or just after 3pm.

Reactions: 3 users
Why does it take until oct 12th to release? I don't get it, and for me I took on sept 9th so it's an even longer wait. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Why does it take until oct 12th to release? I don't get it, and for me I took on sept 9th so it's an even longer wait. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
I've heard two reasons: (1)It helps maximize revenue; a four week gap ensures that a large number of test takers will pay for a re-test before even getting their scores and (2) long gaps minimize the number of suicides.

The first explanation makes sense to me. Not so sure about the second.

My son just got his score 515.
He started prepping this past summer, content review in June & July and FL tests in August. He used Kaplan books. FL tests are 3 Kaplan & 9 NS, where he improved from 502 (NS1) to 512, with AAMC scored at 513.
515 breakdown is 132(100%), 126, 130, 127. He's good at science and weak at non-science (same trend in his SAT). He hasn't taken Physics or Psy/Soc before MCAT (he took AP Physics in HS).

Last edited:
Any 9/9-er's here who didn't have the ridiculously hard C/P? Just wanted to get your thoughts on difficulty of the B/B and P/S sections!

I've heard two reasons: (1)It helps maximize revenue; a four week gap ensures that a large number of test takers will pay for a re-test before even getting their scores and (2) long gaps minimize the number of suicides.

The first explanation makes sense to me. Not so sure about the second.

Well the second part I guess makes sense because while I still hope i did really well it's hard to care so much
Any 9/9-er's here who didn't have the ridiculously hard C/P? Just wanted to get your thoughts on difficulty of the B/B and P/S sections!

I had the 9/9 and I probably got a 120-122 on C/P it was so hard

I took the 9/9! I remember thinking my C/P was hard but not insane so we might've had the same test. I felt like P/S was so so strange and subjective - less content based and more experimental, just very different to practice materials and left me feeling super weird. B/B was kind of a blur, I do remember that I marked a bunch and didn't get to check all of the ones I had marked which bummed me out. What did you think?

I took the 9/9! I remember thinking my C/P was hard but not insane so we might've had the same test. I felt like P/S was so so strange and subjective - less content based and more experimental, just very different to practice materials and left me feeling super weird. B/B was kind of a blur, I do remember that I marked a bunch and didn't get to check all of the ones I had marked which bummed me out. What did you think?

I took 9/9 too and feel the same! C/P I remember it being kinda experimental and more biochem and it had some super easy and some super hard questions, I had to go to the restroom during this section :smack: B/B was forsure a blur but felt fine about it and didn't run low on time like the other sections P/S was strange, exactly what you said. The answer could easily be 2 answer choices for majority of the questions. I think the discrete questions were fine but the passage based questions were like :bang:

I am really nervous guys! We only have six days left!!!!

C/P: VERY RUSHED for the first time :(
CARS: Seemed more straightforward than usual
B/B: WHAT THE?!?!
P/S: I learned a lot of terms in the last few days, and almost ALL were there! :D

I hope I can at least get a 126-126-125-129 (506) since I am going Osteopathic!

P/S: I learned a lot of terms in the last few days, and almost ALL were there! :D

Even that is very good for osteopathic.

Yay I want to do DO too! I would be happy to break 500. How were you scoring on your practice tests?

Yay I want to do DO too! I would be happy to break 500. How were you scoring on your practice tests?

I was scoring around 502 for TBR.....60% on EK.....and 125-125-126-126 for AAMC FL (502) so I hope I can get +4 points. What about you?! :)

I was scoring around 502 for TBR.....60% on EK.....and 125-125-126-126 for AAMC FL (502) so I hope I can get +4 points. What about you?! :)

Oh good!! Yah same, I ranged from 497-503. With CARS being my lowest. This CARS was reasonable so it makes me worried on what I got ahh!

My CP was very little calculations, lots of Biochem! Spectroscopy errywhere. My B/B was long, analytical. The questions were OKish, I thought they were a bit harder than the scored. P/S was insane, kind of like CARS 2.0.

I took 9/9 too and feel the same! C/P I remember it being kinda experimental and more biochem and it had some super easy and some super hard questions, I had to go to the restroom during this section :smack: B/B was forsure a blur but felt fine about it and didn't run low on time like the other sections P/S was strange, exactly what you said. The answer could easily be 2 answer choices for majority of the questions. I think the discrete questions were fine but the passage based questions were like :bang:

B/B worries me a little because I thought the B/B on scored was so straightforward, but this definitely had some WTF questions. P/S was a mess. Hope there's a good curve to make up for it.

I am applying in the next cycle (this coming May and June) especially if I need to do a retake. I pray to god that isn't the case for either of us. I think taking the MCAT once is already satanic.

Omg that test is satanic LMAO!! Only think positive things! Woooosaaaaaa!

I can't freaking sleep. The only thing that runs through my mind are the possible emotions that I might feel next Wednesday. I already experienced the worst last year after my first attempt; I hope that I see the grass from the other side of the fence this time around. I worked so hard for it as most of you guys did. From the bottom of my heart, I wish everyone the best of luck.

Last edited:
I can't freaking sleep. The only thing that runs through my mind are the possible emotions that I might feel next Wednesday. I already experienced the worst last year after my first attempt; I hope that I see the grass from the other side of the fence this time around. I worked so hard for it, as most of you guys did. Fromthe bottom of my heart, I wish everyone the best of luck.

I know exactly how you feel. Praying I don't have a Britney Spears meltdown lol

I can't freaking sleep. The only thing that runs through my mind are the possible emotions that I might feel next Wednesday. I already experienced the worst last year after my first attempt; I hope that I see the grass from the other side of the fence this time around. I worked so hard for it as most of you guys did. From the bottom of my heart, I wish everyone the best of luck.

I wish you good luck too! I hope we are celebrating next week!

Anyone have anything fun planned for Weds? I wonder if its a good idea to have something to do, either to celebrate or to avoid moping at home...

Trying to stay as calm as possible. :scared: