*Official September MCAT 2016 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread is for everyone that is writing the MCAT on September 1st, 9th or 10th.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd time taker for Sept 1st :cool:
I was in the first group to take the new test when it launched April 2015

I'm writing on the 9th. How is everyone feeling about where their score are sitting now? How much do you feel you can improve in the coming 5-ish weeks? I'm working full time and studying so I don't know how many points I can expect to increase realistically. I am probably going to have to write a second time, just the way it goes I guess.

I'm writing on the 9th. How is everyone feeling about where their score are sitting now? How much do you feel you can improve in the coming 5-ish weeks? I'm working full time and studying so I don't know how many points I can expect to increase realistically. I am probably going to have to write a second time, just the way it goes I guess.

My scores so far:
NS 1/2: 496 (before any studying)
NS1: 503 (A few weeks into studying)
TPR DEMO: 499 (week after NS1)
NS2: 510 (week after TPR DEMO)

I'm just finishing up content review and I think you see the most of your score gains when you start taking practice exams and passages more often. My goal is to get my NS close to the 515 range and my TPR exams close to the 508 range in the 5 weeks. I can confidently say you can expect at the very least a 5 point increase in your average FL score if you study hard and effectively these 5 weeks.

My scores so far:
NS 1/2: 496 (before any studying)
NS1: 503 (A few weeks into studying)
TPR DEMO: 499 (week after NS1)
NS2: 510 (week after TPR DEMO)

I'm just finishing up content review and I think you see the most of your score gains when you start taking practice exams and passages more often. My goal is to get my NS close to the 515 range and my TPR exams close to the 508 range in the 5 weeks. I can confidently say you can expect at the very least a 5 point increase in your average FL score if you study hard and effectively these 5 weeks.

I notice you expect your TPR exams to be a lot lower than NextStep (NS?) do you find them a lot harder? I just finished their course so that is all I have been taking. I heard NS is a lot closer in style to AAMC but I don't want to spend more money than I already have this year.

I notice you expect your TPR exams to be a lot lower than NextStep (NS?) do you find them a lot harder? I just finished their course so that is all I have been taking. I heard NS is a lot closer in style to AAMC but I don't want to spend more money than I already have this year.

I found TPR a lot harder. I heard TPR was more deflated when compared to NS. I would definitely recommend taking exams outside of just one prep company as different prep companies have differences in style and you don't want to become complacent with one.

I found TPR a lot harder. I heard TPR was more deflated when compared to NS. I would definitely recommend taking exams outside of just one prep company as different prep companies have differences in style and you don't want to become complacent with one.

Have you guys tried taking the Kaplan Tests? What do you all think of those in terms of being ready for the exam?

September 9th date.

So far I've taken:
3 TPR's 496, 496, 499.
EK4: 61%
Kaplan yesterday 500.

My goal is 510+
I feel like I am not even close. Are NS FL's worth taking? Are they more representative of the actual MCAT? I feel like TPR is killing me....

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys tried taking the Kaplan Tests? What do you all think of those in terms of being ready for the exam?

Kaplan tests seem difficult. I am unsure how it compares to the real deal. Most people say Kaplan scores are not representative... which I hope is true.

Sept 9th for me.

At this point I'm scared of any question related to physics. hopefully I can fix that. haven't studied much for psyc/soci either but i'm scoring in 125-127 on NS.

Looking for a 500+

good luck guys.

Less than 2 weeks away. Need to really crunch and focus. Almost there!

Reactions: 1 user
was it more difficult than the unscored?[/QUOTE
I felt the actual exam was more difficult than the sample test, but for me, the chemical/physical, bio/biochem, and psy/sociology sections were just a little more difficult than the sample test, but for me the CARS was the hardest which also happens to be the weakest section for me.

Took it today. C/p and cars made my butt hurt. B/b and p/s weren't too bad. Honestly, thought the test I took on 5/14 was harder. That being said, i'm only aiming for a 500.

I take my MCAT on the 9th, less than a week away. I have heard of a strategy where students are writing out an entire page of equations during the first 10 minutes of reading the rules/how to highlight/etc. Have any of you done this or are planning to do this? For those of you who have taken it already, did it help or do you think it would have helped? I have been spending most of my time on concepts and not much time on memorizing equations since I was under the impression that they would give you most of the equations needed to answer the questions. Thoughts?

I take my MCAT on the 9th, less than a week away. I have heard of a strategy where students are writing out an entire page of equations during the first 10 minutes of reading the rules/how to highlight/etc. Have any of you done this or are planning to do this? For those of you who have taken it already, did it help or do you think it would have helped? I have been spending most of my time on concepts and not much time on memorizing equations since I was under the impression that they would give you most of the equations needed to answer the questions. Thoughts?

I'm not doing that. Seems pointless.

I'm not doing that. Seems pointless.

You can actually save yourself a lot of time and second guessing yourself on some questions when you are under stress.
I have memorized all physics equations, but I am only going to write down the ones that I have difficulty remembering

Guys, here's the list I used. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Physics equations to know.pdf
    134.6 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 4 users