*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I'm a prospective pre-pharm student looking at post-baccs.

SFSU is one of my first choices because, aside from it being a competitive program with high acceptance rates, it's local.

Does anyone have any comments on whether SFSU would be a good post-bacc for pre-pharmacy?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

I'm confident that SFSU is great for pre-pharmacy students. The science courses are taught by highly qualified professors. Although there was a lot of work for organic chemistry and physics, they really want you to understand the concepts and they are great at helping you. There is also a pre-pharmacy club on campus. Most importantly, the Leadership Team (advisors) have office hours for you. The atmosphere is very collaborative and supportive.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've called them a million times (or so it seems haha) and they said they will be releasing interviews this week. I saw on some other threads that people who applied in early January heard back already. I applied closer to the deadline, so I hope there is still a chance to get into the AET program!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied in late-April and have my interview this weekend.
Stats: from UCB, 3.3 gpa adn 31 mcat

Hey everyone, I have an interview with them on the 19th! Wish me luck!

Hi everyone! I was admitted to the program a few days ago and will be attending (Cohort E for the AET). I interviewed for the DPBP in the first round of interviews but the committee felt that I was a better fit for this program, so my application was moved. If anyone has questions, feel free to message me and I'll try my best to help out. Good luck to all :)

I was interviewed a few days ago. For those who have yet to be interviewed, don't sweat about about it. It's a blind interview, about 30 minutes long. The interviewer was easy to talk to and I felt very comfortable.

Questions asked were the basics: Why do you want to be a doctor? Why this program? What do you want to do after completing this program? Where do you want to serve (rural areas etc.)? Do you want your own practice or will you want to work in a hospital? Did you apply to medical/dental school and why do you think you were not accepted? What's your weakness? How will you improve?

Only advice I can give is to be genuine. This isn't their first rodeo. They will be able to notice if your answers are "too perfect."

Good Luck.

Hey everyone, for those who got accepted, what's going on with housing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, for those who got accepted, what's going on with housing?

Hey @organgeyouglad I recently got accepted too! So Excited! In terms of housing I plan to live in Oakland and commute to San Francisco.

Quick question, do we have a facebook group set up? I know a lot of other schools do and have seen some for the post bac program but they were for different years.

I don't think we have Facebook yet. Are you going to be career changer cohort 9? I was thinking about making one for us? Are you interested @ajellyfishpinata

Hi for those of you who done open university informal postbac at sfsu, how hard was it to get classes since you are least priority to get classes? Im thinking about doing an informal through there and saw the calendar and seems you cant register for classes till the day starts..kind of worrisome for my postbac. Also I'm confused when is the deadline for signing up for the open university for this fall.

Hi!! Sorry for the late reply @DrMomZion. I've been busy relocating to the bay area. OMG why is housing here so freaking expensive?!!

Hi for those of you who done open university informal postbac at sfsu, how hard was it to get classes since you are least priority to get classes? Im thinking about doing an informal through there and saw the calendar and seems you cant register for classes till the day starts..kind of worrisome for my postbac. Also I'm confused when is the deadline for signing up for the open university for this fall.
I wasn't a postbac but I tried to take courses through open university a few years ago to raise my GPA and found it nearly impossible. Every pre-req course would be full, with a full wait list, and instructors would only add open university students after they had gone through the whole wait list. My experience was right at the height of the California budget crisis and classes getting cancelled, so it is possible that it has gotten better now, but I know in the three semesters I tried it I was only able to get one course that I actually needed.

Hey guys,
I'm wondering if there are any specific prereq classes required to for admission into the AET track? My boyfriend applied last year and he was ineligible because he hasn't taken a full year of biochemistry. Which doesn't make sense to me because from what I can tell the career changing path and the AET track is combined, so it doesn't make sense why they would require career changers to take biochemistry.

I'm about to head up to SF for the SFSU interview tomorrow. Anyone else here applying for the 2017 cohort 10?

Has anyone heard back about the summer post bacc- AET track?

Has anyone heard back about the summer post bacc- AET track?

I applied and haven't heard anything yet. Based on past threads, if I remember correctly, I think I read that people heard around mid April about interview invites.

Hi all,

I got my app in right at the Feb deadline and haven't heard back yet. Has anyone who applied late heard anything?

Hi all,

I got my app in right at the Feb deadline and haven't heard back yet. Has anyone who applied late heard anything?

I turned my application in right around the deadline too and I just got an e-mail yesterday for an interview invite. Good luck!

I turned my application a few days before the May 1st deadline. Do you guys know how long it would take before they contact me for an interview? The only email I got from them was a message saying they finally forwarded my application to the admission commitee..

I am wondering the same thing. I submitted my application after the deadline on May 2nd, and received an email saying that my application has been forwarded to the admission committee. Do I have a chance? when do they usually contact applicants for an interview? Please help, guys

Hello, I also applied for the Fall 2015 cohort and submitted my application on the May 1st deadline. I received an e-mail that my application was forwarded to the admissions committee at the beginning of May. I also received an e-mail with a science grades spreadsheet that I had to complete by June 5th. I submitted that about a week ago but haven't heard back. I'm guessing interviews will be in July, so I'm not expecting to hear anything until end of June/beginning of July.

I applied for the Fall 2015. I am currently waiting for interview invitation. I heard they only take around 20 people for fall admission since people usually start in Summer. I really hope I can get in since this is the only post bac program I applied.

I applied to this program a day before the May deadline. I haven't heard anything back either. Making me kind of nervous.

Hi guys!
I applied for Fall 2015, AET as well. I e-mailed the admission board about a week ago, and their answer was that they aim to send out interview requests by the end of this month. Fingers crossed!!!

Also, this is a bit of gossip, but one of my friends' roommate who applied for the program received a rejection letter about three weeks after the deadline. According to my friend, she wrote a lot of hate speech about Iran (her family was a refugee during Iranian Revolution), and the admission board folks were of Persian descent.... I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but just something that I wanted to share.

Last edited:
Anyone hear back regarding an interview for Fall 2015 AET?

Me neither. They said the interview invitations will be e-mailed out by the end of June, but I guess they are still going through the applicants. :/
I emailed them yesterday and they said notifications can be sent out as late as the last week of July through email.

Anyone hear back? I still haven't heard anything yet, so I'm thinking my chances are pretty slim at this point.

I have asked as well last week and they said they can tell us even untill the end of July :? does anyone know if they got and interview yet or know of anyone who got a reply yet?

I have asked as well last week and they said they can tell us even untill the end of July :? does anyone know if they got and interview yet or know of anyone who got a reply yet?
I called last week and asked if they had sent some interviews already and they said yes. But that they're going to send out more soon.

I just called and they said that some interviews have been sent out but that the majority of applicants are still under review. And that the last day to receive invite will be July 31st.
What I'm concerned about is that, if admitted, it's really short notice to find a place to live at and to just get situated in general.

I completely agree its such short notice but I really hope to still get in.

Just want to share. My friend got an interview and he said it includes a group and an one-on-one interviews. Unfortunately, he got rejected. They said it is due to a reduced number of seats, which makes the admission process more competitive.

I am super nervous now since I have not received any email from the program.

Some guy in another thread said that apperantly they are not accepting any AET students for Fall. I don't know how true this is or if it's only for the dental post bac or for the formal post bac as well, but that he received an email confirming it.

I spoke to them Wednesday and they told me that they were sending out interview requests by today. I still haven't heard anything back so I'm not too sure what's going on

I called them today. They said that they received hundreds of applications and were still working on processing applications and sending out interviews. It does not mean you are rejected or have less chance of being accepted if you have not received interview by this time.

I spoke with them yesterday and they said the rumor about not accepting AET track students for Fall is true. But that they are looking to accept students for the Spring instead.