*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You asked if you could have a Skype interview and they said no?

I didn't ask them that directly since my only reason don't want to go is the cost of plane ticket and hotel stay. They state on their website that, "In cases of extenuating circumstances, a video interview via Skype may be granted." I'm not sure if my case is extenuating enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. Sorry.

Oh, no problem, it was meant as a general question for anyone to answer. I guess I could have worded it better anyway:D. I was just wondering if SFSU notifies you of whether you're accepted or not within a few weeks after the interview or if they make the decision at the end of the process after everyone has been interviewed.

I didn't ask them that directly since my only reason don't want to go is the cost of plane ticket and hotel stay. They state on their website that, "In cases of extenuating circumstances, a video interview via Skype may be granted." I'm not sure if my case is extenuating enough.

You won't know if you never ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, no problem, it was meant as a general question for anyone to answer. I guess I could have worded it better anyway:D. I was just wondering if SFSU notifies you of whether you're accepted or not within a few weeks after the interview or if they make the decision at the end of the process after everyone has been interviewed.

I found out about one month after my interview...but this was three cycles ago. I'm sure you can ask on interview day.

I found out about one month after my interview...but this was three cycles ago. I'm sure you can ask on interview day.

Ah, I see. I hope I get an interview. I havent submitted the app yet, but I am aiming to submit by this friday. I'm shooting for AET though, so I think apps are due by June. I hope.

I see...I haven't been interviewed yet so I couldn't answer your question anyway. So, you're applying for AET also? Looks like we're the first cohort w/ this new experiment. Hope they're good. Good luck.

I have an interview this Saturday, March 6. I'm really nervous since I'm not sure how to prepare for it. I have a friend in the Dental program and she told me that her first question during the interview was "Why do you want to be a dentist?"

I'm pretty sure they will ask this but regarding to your interest (doctor/nurse/etc.). Anyone else interviewing this Saturday, and know of any interview questions?

I have an interview this Saturday, March 6. I'm really nervous since I'm not sure how to prepare for it. I have a friend in the Dental program and she told me that her first question during the interview was "Why do you want to be a dentist?"

I'm pretty sure they will ask this but regarding to your interest (doctor/nurse/etc.). Anyone else interviewing this Saturday, and know of any interview questions?

That type of standard questions are already asked when we wrote out application. I don't know why they have to ask it again on the interview. I would think another question would be: Why do you want to do your postbacc at SFSU? Look around the forum for med school interview and prepare yourself from there. I get my interview this Friday.

For the people that have already gotten interviews, when were you completed by?

That type of standard questions are already asked when we wrote out application. I don't know why they have to ask it again on the interview. I would think another question would be: Why do you want to do your postbacc at SFSU? Look around the forum for med school interview and prepare yourself from there. I get my interview this Friday.

Goodluck with your interview! Would you mind sharing some of the questions you were asked after your interview for those of us preparing for post-bacs in general?

This is a favorite question on the med school trail, I would definitely expect it at any post-bac interview. Unless your interviewer thought you did a really thorough job of explaining why you want to a be dr/dds/dvm etc in your app...

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people that have already gotten interviews, when were you completed by?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I finished my application the first week of February and received a reply in about 2 weeks about the interview. They sent an e-mail and gave me 2 dates to choose from for my interview.

I believe that question was asked in the application too, or perhaps why do you want to attend postbaccs in general. Well, either way we have an idea of how to answer it, pretty much talk about their cirruc. and program and how it would be beneficial to attend it...

Since your interview is Friday and mine is Saturday, I wonder if they are making the interview personal. My email says there are two interviews and a q/a session with students and Dr. Rothman and breakfast will be provided. Maybe breakfast is one of the interviews??

Well the best of luck to you!! Let us know how you do.

I believe that question was asked in the application too, or perhaps why do you want to attend postbaccs in general. Well, either way we have an idea of how to answer it, pretty much talk about their cirruc. and program and how it would be beneficial to attend it...

Since your interview is Friday and mine is Saturday, I wonder if they are making the interview personal. My email says there are two interviews and a q/a session with students and Dr. Rothman and breakfast will be provided. Maybe breakfast is one of the interviews??

Well the best of luck to you!! Let us know how you do.

I apologize. It was a miscommunication between me and the admission coordinator. We didn't set the exact date for my interview yet. Anyway, I requested a Skype interview, and they accepted. Flying there from the East Coast is quite expensive.

Well, good luck on your interview on Saturday and let us know how you do as well.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I finished my application the first week of February and received a reply in about 2 weeks about the interview. They sent an e-mail and gave me 2 dates to choose from for my interview.

same completion date and same time frame for my offer to interview.

Just got an interview invite! :) Ive gotten interviewed at one other post-bacc program and it was basically the same questions as the application essays. I think they just want to make sure that youre the person you say you are. I also had two one-on-one interviews and both asked me the same exact questions. Im not sure what SFSU will be like though so for anyone that has been interviewed already, feel free to share!

Hello...I am new to this and it seemed like an informative forum..Does any one know how many people applied for Cohort 5 (SFSU pre-health post bac)? I submitted my application 11 days ago and I am anxiously waiting.

You can email them and ask.

Alright I just finished w/ my interview on Skype. Basically, the questions are very open and easy to answer. Though you need to give a concrete reason why you choose SFSU for postbacc. We then mostly chat about things, and I joke about things...and we laughed. So, for future reference, if you're doing a Skype interview, don't worry too much.

So I had my interview on March 6 [Applying for the AET]. It was a lot more informal than I thought it would be. I came fully dressed in a suit, and so did several other people. Basically it was a "get to know you" kind of interview.

So like they said in my email: 2 interviews, a campus tour, and a Q&A.

My first interview was with a previous student. She basically just asked the same questions that were asked in the application. I believe it was more to clear up some questions they might have had from reading through your application. My second interview was with the coordinator, Dr. Rothman. He asked me to elaborate on a couple things I mentioned in my prompts, about my transcripts, and if I had any questions. It was casual and straight forward, had some laughs, and got a lot of my questions answered.

I didn't hold back while asking questions. In summary, they really look through your application to make sure you would fit in. If you get an interview, your chances are pretty high of getting in, about 70%, compared to 25% for med school interviews. They told us not to worry too much, so they made it sound like we were most likely getting in. But who knows, I'm still stressed about it.

I definitely left feeling better than when I came into the interview.

Oh yes, I heard from one of the interviewees that 6 had already been accepted for the AET by the date of my interview. I know there were at least 4 AETs at my interview including myself. They mentioned that there are about 20 spots and it's not necessary for them to fill all 20. So spots are filling up quickly, and they are getting lots of applications being submitted. So submit yours ASAP!

Goodluck, hopes this helps! I will be hearing back in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

So I just received my interview invite!!:D I will most likely be doing it this Saturday March 20th. I am really nervous as I am sure most of us are. Because I really, really, really want/need to get into this program.

Thanks to all who have provided valuable insight about the interview. If anyone has more useful information and suggestions please don't hesitate to post.

So I just received an invitation for interview.

It took 10 days for them to get back at me in case you were wondering

thank you for all your help!

God bless

Last edited:
I also just received an invitation for an interview. My Gpa is around 3.3, i hope to see you guys at the interview/orientation.

I currently have a 2.5 sGPA and a 3.1 cGPA with pretty good ECs and strong letters of rec. I'm taking the MCAT in June.. with a decent score (27-30) what do you guys think of my chances of being admitted into SFSU's formal post-bacc program?

Thanks!

I'm IN!!!! : ) I received my acceptance 3 days after my interview

I'm IN!!!! : ) I received my acceptance 3 days after my interview

which programs did you guys get into?

The formal post-bacc for prehealth students?

Or the Dental Reapplicant one?

I was accepted into the formal post- bac pre-health program and I just sent in my money to hold my spot

good to hear... good luck... hopefully ill see you there.

Does anyone know if there are any slots open still for Cohort 5? Or if they are still accepting applications... I am going to call this Monday but thought I'd ask if anyone knew. :)

i am also IN. hallelujah!
see you all in June

Do you guys think its too late to apply?

I was planning to submit my application next week..

You guys think there is still room?

**** this program. I applied and they messed up calculating my GPA and told me I didn't have clinical experience when I actually do and stated it. They even questioned if I wanted to really become a doctor. I wouldn't recommend them at all. If you guys want to get into a small class size program, apply to Notre Dame De Namur University. The director is an MD from Stanford and all their faculty have prestigious degrees. Their program is about 25 mins south of San Francisco and is the same price as SFSU.

Belmont would be a sucky commute for me and is freaky deaky cold, but I'm intrigued.... does Notre Dame have a formal post-bacc program?

Do you guys think its too late to apply?

I was planning to submit my application next week..

You guys think there is still room?

I'm applying soon too. I hope there's still space. You never knwo until you just apply.

Hello everyone!

Interviewed early May, got accepted a few days after! Sent in my deposit today for the AET track (was waiting on UC post bac decisions)! Will be starting in August. So excited and can't wait for the program to help me be more competitive for med schools!!! :)

Has anybody heard of the size of the AET track? On-line it says there are 20 spots - I wonder how many interviewed!

Also, are we all going to get to meet each other???

I'm spending a lot of time trying to look for a place and work out a class schedule! I'm debating if I want to take purely upper divs or retake 3 classes I got less than a C+ in.

Picked up another job at my clinic (project assistant for a breast cancer project) where I'm currently a Community HealthCorps/AmeriCorps member so I can save up for books and other expenses! I'm definitely going to have to take out a student loan for tuition and housing...parents absolutely cannot afford the program. I've been paying for my own rent and college expenses when I was an undergrad 2005-2009 up until now, with very minimal help (for groceries and gas).

Hope to hear from some of you beforehand! :)

Hello,
I have an interview next week Tue and I m trying to prepare for it
I was wondering what are some of the question they ask?
I m really nervous I want to be part of this program so bad
I appreciate ur advise
Thank u

Hello everyone!

Interviewed early May, got accepted a few days after! Sent in my deposit today for the AET track (was waiting on UC post bac decisions)! Will be starting in August. So excited and can't wait for the program to help me be more competitive for med schools!!! :)

Has anybody heard of the size of the AET track? On-line it says there are 20 spots - I wonder how many interviewed!

Also, are we all going to get to meet each other???

I'm spending a lot of time trying to look for a place and work out a class schedule! I'm debating if I want to take purely upper divs or retake 3 classes I got less than a C+ in.

Picked up another job at my clinic (project assistant for a breast cancer project) where I'm currently a Community HealthCorps/AmeriCorps member so I can save up for books and other expenses! I'm definitely going to have to take out a student loan for tuition and housing...parents absolutely cannot afford the program. I've been paying for my own rent and college expenses when I was an undergrad 2005-2009 up until now, with very minimal help (for groceries and gas).

Hope to hear from some of you beforehand! :)

So I found about SFSUs formal program pretty late in the game, but see that it is still possible to transfer into the Fall 2010 semester. Does anyone know what the deadline would be if i were to apply to transfer? It's not listed on the website. Thanks.

Just got a call today and was taken off the waitlist! ACCEPTED!

I really stopped considering SFSU, since I interviewed in March and got waitlisted. I started considering other options and started looking for jobs. I was extremely shocked when I got a call.

I applied for the AET track. Since it is suggested I retake genchem, I am debating on whether to start summer or fall. It is difficult since I have a full time job and do not think they will accept a 6 days notice! Classes start this coming Monday! What to do?!

Hello,
I have an interview next week Tue and I m trying to prepare for it
I was wondering what are some of the question they ask?
I m really nervous I want to be part of this program so bad
I appreciate ur advise
Thank u

I had an interview with two students (1 who was in the program and one who had finished it and was applying to med schools). I was asked why SFSU's postbac, why osteopathy (I had written about it), my study habits, how I plan to use this program to improve myself, how I'll manage my time, and how I'd pay for it (it is expensive). That's all I can remember...there was more but I think I was too nervous that everything just went by so fast!

Hope that helps and good luck! :)

Just got a call today and was taken off the waitlist! ACCEPTED!

I really stopped considering SFSU, since I interviewed in March and got waitlisted. I started considering other options and started looking for jobs. I was extremely shocked when I got a call.

I applied for the AET track. Since it is suggested I retake genchem, I am debating on whether to start summer or fall. It is difficult since I have a full time job and do not think they will accept a 6 days notice! Classes start this coming Monday! What to do?!

Congrats! I was in the same boat too when I found out. But I thought about it and decided to start during the fall because I like what I'm doing at my job and didn't want to give it up so soon. I also wanted to give myself time to save up, find a place in the SF area, settle in, and take a break before the hard work begins!

Good luck making the decision - it's tough!

Congrats! I was in the same boat too when I found out. But I thought about it and decided to start during the fall because I like what I'm doing at my job and didn't want to give it up so soon. I also wanted to give myself time to save up, find a place in the SF area, settle in, and take a break before the hard work begins!

Good luck making the decision - it's tough!

I talked it out with people and the director of the program, it really helped. I've decided to start in the Fall! Congrats to you, and I will see you then! Now the misery of starting to look for a place...

Hello everyone,
Anyone here looking for a roomate?
I m a 25 year old female who is going to attend the AET program this coming fall. I m very laid back, and easy going , clean person and I also have a dog (american eskimo) currently I m looking for a place close to SFSU and prefer a student let me know if anyone here is interested in being roomies

Thinking of making a huge life decision and applying for AET, Spring 2011 (since Fall 2010 application has already closed). Was originally going to apply for Fall, then decided against it, now have decided to do so. Any idea on how many students are accepted for Spring semester? The website says a "few" but that could be 3 to 20.
Any tips? Currently studying for MCAT which may help my application (I'm guessing?).

Hi all, I graduated from a UC this spring with a BS in bio and a fairly low gpa (2.55). I want to get into a master's program and then see where I can go from there (PA if I can make it). Retaking ochem at a state school in LA at the moment because the deadlines for post bacc programs passed.

Do you think it's worth it to enroll in one of the post bacc programs at SFSU if you were in my situation? I was considering trying to crash biochem at SFSU through Open U, but I've heard crashing is very hard here.

In post bacc programs, do you take all of the pre med pre req's?
Am I disqualified at all because I was a bio major? (most of my pre req's were all right, I screwed up in ochem and the upper divisions though).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated-thank you so much!

I just got into the AET Formal Post Bac for Spring 2011!:thumbup: I'm currently looking for housing near SFSU and possibly a female Indian roommate...where do you guys suggest living? Thanks!!!

I had a 2.77 and these clowns told me there was no way I could make it through pre-med because basically, I was too dumb. Of course, in kinder words. Well, I have been doing my post-bacc work elsewhere and have a 4.0 on it. Don't apply to this ****ty program. It will only leech your money.

what a load of crap. You are probably just a bitter applicant who was not accepted, and is looking for an outlet for your emotional frustrations.

I'm in the program, and they've accepted students with GPAs lower than 2.5.

All the professors and administrators are the nicest, most positive, and supportive people I have come across in my entire academic career (8 years).

Basically, dont listen to this turd-burglar people. He is probably just trying to discourage people from applying since he wants to apply again himself, and wants no competition.

Hi,
My basic stats:
B.A. in philosophy from small private university, 3.5 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA
Don't let the sGPA fool you, I have only taken 4 classes that count toward it: Trig, Pre-Calc, Biology for non-majors (no lab), and Human Ecology.
So the good news is I don't have anything harming my sGPA to start with. But I have NO IDEA if I am a competitive app for this program! I have a good volunteer gig but have only done about 30 hours with it so far. I am in a program right now that will allow me (paid) clinic experience once I am done in May.

I turned in my app for the SFSU formal post-bacc program on 3/14 as a career-changer.
Anyone else?

I would love to hear from anyone that has any feedback about their experience, especially in the formal, if they got in to Cohort 5, or from anyone else who is applying for Cohort 6!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I was accepted to Cohort 6 today via email; I'm really excited.
BA in English from a UC
gpa 3.6

I applied in mid January and was invited to pick an interview date a few weeks later. I felt like the interview went fairly well, it was pretty casual and all of the people from the school were EXTREMELY nice and helpful during the whole morning. I got into a few other schools, but I think this is the best program. I would at least be hard-pressed to find anything more organized than what SFSU has to offer. I also want to go to med school in this area, so this is perfect for me.
Good luck Cowgirl7.