Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
32Q
14 11 and 7(verbal)
apparently i write a decent essay but verbal reasoning isnt my thing

aamc averages were 13/12/6 to 13/12/8
im guessing getting that 7 will just add to the stereotypical assumptions that engineers cant communicate their ideas

any thoughts?
I'd go ahead and apply if I were you, no retake. Your seven isn't going to impress anyone, but the rest of your scores are excellent, and all three subscores are basically the same as what you were scoring on your practice tests.

OK, here's my deal

I am not a native speaker, and have been in the country for 10 years. Despite that, I feel like I have mastered the English language (apparently MCAT thinks otherwise . . . :(). I have been reading a great variety of good English writing like crazy for years; I pretty much feel most of the time as though English has become my first language.

Anyhow, took MCAT the 1st time last April, got a 28N: 10PS, 7VR, 11BS. Was absolutely horrified, petrified, humiliated, depressed. . . :eek:. I was a bio and chem double major in college so I expected above 12 on PS and BS. Yeah

Studied a lot for the last 6 months. Got my May 16th score: 31M: 11PS, 9 VR, 11 BS.

I am strongly leaning towards not retaking as the rest of my application is in pretty good shape, but would appreciate any thoughts, comments.

Thanks, folks!
Definitely do NOT retake with those scores. You're already in the sweet spot for total score, and all of your subscores are average or better than average.

32Q
14 11 and 7(verbal)
apparently i write a decent essay but verbal reasoning isnt my thing

aamc averages were 13/12/6 to 13/12/8
im guessing getting that 7 will just add to the stereotypical assumptions that engineers cant communicate their ideas

any thoughts?

I'm in your boat, except I do worse usually: 12P/7V/10B; I think you should really get an answer about retaking. The 7 is a blemish, but I don't know how readily you can reproduce a 14 (good job!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

First of all, please note that I am applying to med schools in Canada, not in the US (At least not in this admission cycle for personal reasons)

UBC student (BC Resident)
Overall GPA: 89.6% (~3.85/4 GPA)
Best two years GPA: 91.2% (~3.95/4 GPA)
Standard volunteering and research activities (EC's)

May 2007 MCAT: 14 PS, 7 VR, 13 BS, O WS.

Now I think (I am not exactly sure and here's asking for your advice) it would be unwise for me to retake the MCAT, considering that my average scores on the eight AAMC MCAT practice tests (CBT 3-10) are not grossly different from my real MCAT scores:

Eight Practice Tests Average MCAT: 12.75 PS, 7.625 VR, 13 BS

I understand that there are a couple of Canadian schools who have strict MCAT cut-offs (eg. Queen's and Western Ontario), while some others have minimum MCAT score of 7 or not at all (eg. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, UBC).

My question is that even though these latter schools list 7 as the minimum score acceptable under their admission web section, will the 7 in my verbal really hurt my chances in gaining admission to these Canadian medical schools?

Thank you for your help.

I took the MCAT for the first time this past May 16
VR 7
PS 13
BS 12
Total 32 O
Some factors to consider - I began studying here and there on my own with EK books and Audio Osmosis this past September. I was able to devote all my time to studying during winter break (2006) and month prior to the test. I didn't feel I was fully rested for the test (like 5 hrs). My verbal score on the AAMC practice tests fluctuated from a 6 on one to a 12 on another. The other two sections were around 11-13. (I freaked when I saw I had 23:00 left for the last 3 passages on the Verbal; I think #5 and #6 were a disaster since I zoned out for those, plus they were difficult to begin with)

BPCM GPA: 3.76
Total GPA: 3.81
Volunteer EMT for past 2 years
Free clinic for 1 year.

I take it I'm in a gray area; so the personal statement, interview, etc may sway the process either way.

1) Would you recommend AMCAS submitting now?
2) What MD schools would I have greater chances of being accepted?
3) What are you thoughts on the retake?? I've registered for retake 7/24...enough time to review again to retest?
4) Is there any hope in improving the verbal?

I think #5 and #6 were a disaster since I zoned out for those, plus they were difficult to begin with
Sounds like we had the same series...for me I also found those two pretty difficult...#5 was the agricultural passage (no clue what authour was talking about) and #6 was the painting preservation passage (passage easy but questions kinda hard because was running out of time).

I have a ps 11 vb 9 and bs 11 total of 31M. I am a Florida resident with a 3.82 overal and 3.84 science GPA I was wondering if I would have any chances at a med schools in NY.

This may sound silly, but I am wondering how important the WS is. I am currently an orphan, no state will claim me as a resident. I was out of the state of Montana for too long. So I am wondering if it is possible to get into a med school as an out of stater (or possibly private school) with my first time WS score.

PS-12
VR-15
BS-12
WS-M:(

Total-39M

Help!

This may sound silly, but I am wondering how important the WS is. I am currently an orphan, no state will claim me as a resident. I was out of the state of Montana for too long. So I am wondering if it is possible to get into a med school as an out of stater (or possibly private school) with my first time WS score.

PS-12
VR-15
BS-12

Total-39M

Help!

Are you cereal? With your 15 in verbal, the WS might as well have been a J. Great job. Your Mcat is monster, so unless you bust out freestyle rap during your interview, you will soon find a home in some state with a medical school.

I have a ps 11 vb 9 and bs 11 total of 31M. I am a Florida resident with a 3.82 overal and 3.84 science GPA I was wondering if I would have any chances at a med schools in NY.
you would have a good chance at NYMC. Not sure how OOS-friendly downstate is. For NYU/Cornell/Columbia, your numbers may be a little on the low side.

This might be premature, since I just took the MCAT on Friday and won't be getting my scores for a while, but...

I didn't feel so good coming out of the MCAT. I'm afraid my score will be high 20s/very low 30s, but my AAMC practice test scores were in the mid-30s, and I feel I need a 33+ since I'll be applying to competitive schools/possibly MSTP or MD/PhD programs.

I just finished my sophomore year, have a good GPA/2+ yrs research/good ECs, and I still have almost a year left to get a good score before I apply. I prepped with Kaplan starting in February, but wasn't able to devote as much time as I wanted to studying due to a busy semester/now a full-time research job (which will continue all the way until the fall semester begins).

What would you advise that I do? Just wait until my scores come back, then re-take if not 33+? Or should I sign up for an August re-take now, then cancel if my scores are better than I thought? I really feel like more practice would do me well, and that I'm capable of getting in the mid- to high-30s if I really work hard at this.

This might be premature, since I just took the MCAT on Friday and won't be getting my scores for a while, but...

I didn't feel so good coming out of the MCAT. I'm afraid my score will be high 20s/very low 30s, but my AAMC practice test scores were in the mid-30s, and I feel I need a 33+ since I'll be applying to competitive schools/possibly MSTP or MD/PhD programs.

I just finished my sophomore year, have a good GPA/2+ yrs research/good ECs, and I still have almost a year left to get a good score before I apply. I prepped with Kaplan starting in February, but wasn't able to devote as much time as I wanted to studying due to a busy semester/now a full-time research job (which will continue all the way until the fall semester begins).

What would you advise that I do? Just wait until my scores come back, then re-take if not 33+? Or should I sign up for an August re-take now, then cancel if my scores are better than I thought? I really feel like more practice would do me well, and that I'm capable of getting in the mid- to high-30s if I really work hard at this.

I just took it as well. I was getting around a 10 on PS on the last four practices, but 8s on previous practices. And I felt like PS killed me on the real thing, so I just signed up for an August 9th MCAT. I figure if I managed to do better than I thought I'll just cancel the registration, and lose $110 of the deposit. That amount of money is worth the peace of mind that I have the seat in case I need it.

On the other hand, I'm probably being silly. I know everyone usually feels really horrible after the MCAT, so perhaps I shouldn't have bothered signing up until after I saw my score. *shrug* Good luck! Hopefully we won't need to retake it in August!

260 (VR 8, PS 9, BS 9)

GPA- 3.76
Science GPA- 3.89
Average Practice MCAT- 32
Volunteer Work- standard amount
I am going to apply to Oklahoma schools most likely.

I was pretty upset about getting this mcat score, because normally VR is my best section. I am thinking about taking a retake in August, and I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
So here are my scores:
PS 4
BS 8
VR 10
WS M

My top choices is a DO school but I am also applying to MD schools. Should I plan on the August retake? I've talked to admissions at my top choice and they said they interview with a minimum of a 21. I have an outstanding resume and a solid GPA. Thanks.

I'm from California. I'm not aiming for any great schools. I just want to get in somehwere in the US. Unfortunately my ECs aren't that great. I did research for only a quarter and I have only been volunteering at a clinic for about 6 months. My GPA minus freshman year is over a 3.9 though and someone told me they look for positive trends so hopefully that will help me out a bit. Do I have a shot?

I think you have a shot somewhere. It may or may not be a cali school as those are severely competitive. But given this information I think you have a shot somewhere in the US. I'd personally look at the MSAR and look at schools with similar averages to yours nd which take a lot of out of staters. I.e. schools like NYMC, SLU, GWU, etc.

I don't think I'd retake. Your MCAT score is perfectly fine. If I were you I'd concentrate on doing some more clinical work or volunteering or more research. But get your ECs to par.

well, here it goes:

PS 8
VR 11
BS 8

27P, overall gpa 3.55, science 3.35

applying to the texas schools, anyone think i have a chance???

thanks for the help!

well, here it goes:

PS 8
VR 11
BS 8

thanks for the help!
i've heard of people getting in with 27P although personally I dont know of any. Your sciences are on the lowside. I think it's doable to increase your sciences by at least 2 points each which would get you a good score of 31. Since you have VR down which IMO is the hardest section to improve, I think you should take it again.

So here are my scores:
PS 4
BS 8
VR 10
WS M

My top choices is a DO school but I am also applying to MD schools. Should I plan on the August retake? I've talked to admissions at my top choice and they said they interview with a minimum of a 21. I have an outstanding resume and a solid GPA. Thanks.

The 4 in PS is not good. You should plan the retake to raise that score.

Stop crying over your fantastic scores everyone you should all be grateful you didn't get this:

Series Test Date Verbal Reasoning (VR) Physical Sciences (PS) Writing Sample (WS) Biological Sciences (BS) Total * AMCAS Release 37 May 2007 06 08 J 08 22J Y

*hugs* I too had a 6/8/8/ breakdown in April. Better :luck: next time!

I got a 25R (PS6, V10, B9), I am applying to both DO and MD schools, what are my chances?

GPA: 3.70
Science: 3.54

Decent ECs

I'd go ahead and apply if I were you, no retake. Your seven isn't going to impress anyone, but the rest of your scores are excellent, and all three subscores are basically the same as what you were scoring on your practice tests.

I'd also agree with this advice. I don't know what state the poster who asked this is in, but this past app. cycle there was a guy who had the same breakdown of 14 7 11. However, he had a strong GPA and strong ECs, and since the overall was 30+, they let him do EDP at one of the Fl. schools. He got in right away. Another guy had a 7 in VR and got into Drexel and off a waitlist into one of his state schools (EVMS) in the past cycle. I know these are anecdotal but the point is that it depends on your individual situation. If you feel unsure still talk to adcom directors and deans at school of interest and see what their opinion is.

well, here it goes:

PS 8
VR 11
BS 8

thanks for the help!

My opinion is that if you got an 11 in VR and are strong in VR then bringing the sciences up shouldn't be that difficult since sciences are easier to bring up then VR.

I know that some Tx schools have lower averages and as an instate resident you might be able to fly with those scores but to be sure about that talk to adcom directors for the Tx state schools.

My opinion is that you should retake it and study for the sciences using a combo of EK and Kaplan and do the EK 30 min. exams and if you can obtain the TPR science workbook try to get that from someone. I'd focus in on physiology, molecular bio, and genetics/micro for the bio section though study everything.

In short, retake it because you can probably pull a good verbal and bringing the sciences up is easier and doable. But don't neglect the verbal.

I got a 25R (PS6, V10, B9), I am applying to both DO and MD schools, what are my chances?

GPA: 3.70
Science: 3.54

Decent ECs

At MD schools a 25 would definitely hurt at most places but for DO schools you will have a great shot. I'd consider a retake because again as I said to someone else bringing up the sciences is doable. If you can repeat the VR score and bring the PS up a few points you'd be good.

I'd use a combo of EK, Kaplan, and some TPR science workbook stuff to help you if you can obtain those things.

Thanks, yeah I have taken Kaplan already and am signed up for a retake in August. During my practice tests I was getting about 27-29, PS was actually my strongest section with bio my weakest, but i guess you never know on the real test. You think I can raise my physical if I retake and how many hrs a week do I need to study? Still have a solid shot at DO schools you think? maybe an MD?

Thanks, yeah I have taken Kaplan already and am signed up for a retake in August. During my practice tests I was getting about 27-29, PS was actually my strongest section with bio my weakest, but i guess you never know on the real test. You think I can raise my physical if I retake and how many hrs a week do I need to study? Still have a solid shot at DO schools you think? maybe an MD?

Def. a shot at a lot of DO schools but MD could go either way. Sometimes there are rare exceptions when they do take people with those kind of scores other times not so much.

I'd strive to get higher and I'm not sure how many hours a week as it is different for everyone and what works for one person might not work for another. I'd put as much time as you think you need to do better but do all of Kaplan discretes and topical tests as well as full lengths. Go over the solutions and find your weak areas and work on improving those areas. Use EK stuff too.

260 (VR 8, PS 9, BS 9)

GPA- 3.76
Science GPA- 3.89
Average Practice MCAT- 32
Volunteer Work- standard amount
I am going to apply to Oklahoma schools most likely.

I was pretty upset about getting this mcat score, because normally VR is my best section. I am thinking about taking a retake in August, and I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing?

I'd retake it if you know that you could do a lot better. From your practices it seems that you have the potential to do much better then you were doing.

MCAT score:
28S
10 verbal / 9 bio / 9 physical
This is about average to how I was doing on practice MCATs. I'm not sure if I could do tons better if I did it again, and I really don't want to delay the app process... but retaking is an option.

GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.69-3.79 (not quite sure how much to include in that calculation)
Biochem & Molecular Bio major (not a dbl major... that is its full name)

My extracurriculars are excellent (music minor), I have a lot of alternative break service work/leadership, I have been doing research for 3 years at the University of Florida (where I go to school) and am doing a summer research internship at MD Anderson right now, and have some volunteering/shadowing with a physician in a unique setting (visiting the homeless, giving medical advice).

So I feel that the only blip in my record is that 28 MCAT. What do you all think? I really want to go out-of-state (FL resident), but I'm not applying to the ivys of medicine or anything. Just the schools with mostly 30 avg MCAT, mostly private schools. (i.e. Drexel, BU, Albany, U Illinois... etc). Thanks in advance =)

First Attempt: 6V 11P 10B 27P

Second attempt: 8V 12P 11B 31Q

3.3 gpa, 3.3 bcmp

Applying to lower-tier

am i okay to keep the 31?

Yeah 31 is definitely ok. Your mcat is fine. I'd apply broadly and if you don't get in anywhere this year then my advice is to do a SMP program or other 1 year masters program and reapply the following year. SMP = Special Master's Program.

Are you cereal? With your 15 in verbal, the WS might as well have been a J. Great job. Your Mcat is monster, so unless you bust out freestyle rap during your interview, you will soon find a home in some state with a medical school.

I agree. If you're gonna rap during your interview, keep it oldschool.

Hi all,

I got a 27 total on the written MCAT (April 06): 6VR, 11PS, 10BS. The question is: should I retake the MCAT which is now computer based? I've never taken a computer based test before and I haven't looked into the MCAT (if it's like the GRE in that it adapts to correct/incorrect answers). Right now it's June 07, and I think if I did retake, the new scores wouldn't really be helpful for applying to 2008, right?

I did Georgetown University undergrad, major in biology, 3.67 overall GPA, 3.75 science GPA.

Thoughts? I'm really torn on this. Also, should I apply for '08 with my current scores, retake, and then if I don't get in anywhere I can reapply with the new (and hopefully better) scores?

I know I fall in the "gray area", but I will post mine anyway....

31R:
BS-14
PS-11
VR-6

GPA: 3.776, decent list of EC's

I studied soooo hard for 3 months to prepare for my 1st MCAT. Currently I feel like I have absolutely no motivation to study for the test again, especially since I love my BS-14 score and don't want to see that go away on the 2nd MCAT. Plus, I'm not sure what I can do differently to raise that VR score. English is my 2nd language.

I am from California...it's more difficult to get accepted to an in-state school.

Should I just suck it up and retake it?

Thanks.

I think you know your score is great. You shouldn't ask whether you should retake it, esp. in this thread where lots of people's scores are waaay lower. It's like you're fishing for compliments.

PS-12
VR-15
BS-12

Total-39M

Help!

I know I fall in the "gray area", but I will post mine anyway....

31R:
BS-14
PS-11
VR-6

GPA: 3.776, decent list of EC's

I studied soooo hard for 3 months to prepare for my 1st MCAT. Currently I feel like I have absolutely no motivation to study for the test again, especially since I love my BS-14 score and don't want to see that go away on the 2nd MCAT. Plus, I'm not sure what I can do differently to raise that VR score.

I am from California...it's more difficult to get accepted to an in-state school.

Should I just suck it up and retake it?

Thanks.
Is English your first language? If so, then you should probably retake. In any case, if you decide not to retake and to just apply, make sure you apply broadly (i.e., pick a lot of OOS schools that accept CA residents). My advice is to focus on schools in the South and the Midwest; there are tons of good ones there that don't get as many apps as the coastal schools do just based on geography. :luck: to you. :)

Bio - 12
PS - 11
Verbal - 6
Writing - Q
Total 29Q

GPA: 3.69
BCMP: 3.75

Volunteered at 4 hospitals
Doc Shadowing
VP of club
Research for 6 months (no publishing)
NJ Resident

Hi all,

I got a 27 total on the written MCAT (April 06): 6VR, 11PS, 10BS. The question is: should I retake the MCAT which is now computer based? I've never taken a computer based test before and I haven't looked into the MCAT (if it's like the GRE in that it adapts to correct/incorrect answers). Right now it's June 07, and I think if I did retake, the new scores wouldn't really be helpful for applying to 2008, right?

I did Georgetown University undergrad, major in biology, 3.67 overall GPA, 3.75 science GPA.

Thoughts? I'm really torn on this. Also, should I apply for '08 with my current scores, retake, and then if I don't get in anywhere I can reapply with the new (and hopefully better) scores?

i got the exact same score in on may 11th mcat, i'm retaking for july 24. computer exam isn't too bad or too much different really, defintely retake, and practice the computer aamc's, you can buy them for 30 or something a pop

Bio - 12
PS - 11
Verbal - 6
Writing - Q
Total 29Q

GPA: 3.69
BCMP: 3.75

Volunteered at 4 hospitals
Doc Shadowing
VP of club
Research for 6 months (no publishing)
NJ Resident
It depends on how you did in your previous tests. The 6 is really going to kill you no matter what your ECs are. If you were scoring anywhere between 8+ on your aamc practices, I think you should try at it again.

MCAT score:
28S
10 verbal / 9 bio / 9 physical
This is about average to how I was doing on practice MCATs. I'm not sure if I could do tons better if I did it again, and I really don't want to delay the app process... but retaking is an option.

GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.69-3.79 (not quite sure how much to include in that calculation)
Biochem & Molecular Bio major (not a dbl major... that is its full name)

My extracurriculars are excellent (music minor), I have a lot of alternative break service work/leadership, I have been doing research for 3 years at the University of Florida (where I go to school) and am doing a summer research internship at MD Anderson right now, and have some volunteering/shadowing with a physician in a unique setting (visiting the homeless, giving medical advice).

So I feel that the only blip in my record is that 28 MCAT. What do you all think? I really want to go out-of-state (FL resident), but I'm not applying to the ivys of medicine or anything. Just the schools with mostly 30 avg MCAT, mostly private schools. (i.e. Drexel, BU, Albany, U Illinois... etc). Thanks in advance =)

I know you want to go out of state, but that's a double edged sword. I think you may or may not have a chance but if OOS is your dream then you might want to get a few extra points on the MCAT by attempting to retake it.

That said, as a Fl. resident with your stats and ECs you are fine for the Fl. schools.

BTW I don't know that Albany and Drexel are that much better then the schools in Fl.

Advice? Retake? Ive done slightly better on some PS practice tests, 1-2 points on a good day, best VR ever though

PS: 8
VR: 11
BS: 10
TOTAL:: 29R

GPA: 3.65 Science: 3.65

EC: All-American collegiate athlete, technically a registered Native American (is that URM?) although I look nothing like it, I am within the limits of claiming this heritage, and have a roll number and tribal registration with the federal govt, other miscellaneous volunteering including shadowing an orthopedic surgeon for over 100 surgeries

Thanks in advance
Blake

Advice? Retake? Ive done slightly better on some PS practice tests, 1-2 points on a good day, best VR ever though

EC: All-American collegiate athlete, technically a registered Native American (is that URM?) although I look nothing like it, I am within the limits of claiming this heritage, and have a roll number and tribal registration with the federal govt, other miscellaneous volunteering including shadowing an orthopedic surgeon for over 100 surgeries

Thanks in advance
Blake

this thread slowed down a little,
no advice gujuDoc or QofQuimica?

thanks guys. you are a real asset to this site.

hey bep,

i dont think u need to retake.. you have a solid gpa and a 29 isnt to shabby. plus, being an URM and having such solid extracurrics will help you out. i have a friend who scored 29 and got into tufts, boston, usc, uf, um, and fsu. good luck w/ the rest of the cycle:thumbup:

Thanks in advance
Blake
Your score is pretty balanced and all of your subscores are average or above average. Personally, I don't think I'd tempt fate with a 29 unless you feel that you can do significantly better (32+) the next time around. Right now your score is pretty respectable (the average for allopathic matriculants is a 30 or so), but if you go down, it's going to hurt you. Since you were in the high 20s range on your practice tests and that's what you got on the real deal, I'd probably leave well enough alone. Of course, your competitiveness with those stats also depends on many other factors; I hope you're not from CA. :scared:

P.S. Yes, if you are a registered member of an Indian tribe, you may be able to classify yourself as a URM for application purposes. It's not based on how you look; it's based on your tribal and cultural affiliations. I believe that you must be at least 1/32 Native American to qualify for URM status. Go to the AAMC website and read up on their definitions of URM status for Native Americans. Best of luck to you. :)

2nd attempt:
PS 8
VR 6 (same score as first attempt)
BS 9

23R

SGPA: 3.59
overall GPA: 3.80

should i retake?

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=8244
Yes, you're probably going to need to retake if you want to attend an allopathic school. In my state (FL), they screen out applicants who have under a 24. Make an appointment with your premed advisor to discuss your options. If you do retake, make sure to figure out what you did wrong last time (ex. studied the wrong things, test anxiety, etc.) so that you won't make those same mistakes again. :luck: to you. :)

28M
8P, 10V, 10B

GPA 3.47, Science 3.21 (ouch)

When I first got my scores, I thought -hands down- I would need to retake the exam with the preconception that at least a 30 was necessary to get into medical school. But after talking to some people, many seem to believe that I still have a good chance. I feel confident about the other aspects of my application (LORs, experiences, and activities). I'm a non-traditional applicant with diverse experiences in the health field and community service. I want to be a doctor for (what i believe are) the right reasons and I think that would show. However, I first have to get an interview.

I could improve my score if I retook the MCAT in Aug or Sept, provided I sacrifice other things in my life (i.e. my job). Is it worth the time and money? Would I be stupid to retake or not retake? I'm clueless.

I guess I'll throw my score out there and see what all of my fellow SDN'ers think. I took the exam May 16th and scored a 28 R (9 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS), i know the score isn't horrible but it definitely isn't at that magically 30. I feel like I can improve the two science sections especially since i was scoring 10-12 through most of my practice tests...I'm just finding it hard to start studying and taking practice tests all over again, maybe looking for some suggestions if a retake is what you suggest

I have a 3.90 with roughly a 3.7 to 3.8 in my science classes..I just switched to pre--med at the start of my junior year, I am participating in AECOM's summer undergraduate research program and I had been doign research for a year at my school and plan to do it for another two years before med school...oh yeah my hope is to apply mstp another reason why i really feel like i need to retake the mcat...thanks for all your suggestions everyone

Ok...I'll play as well. It's been 15-17 years since I took my basic sciences. No old jokes please.:D My average GPA is 3.44 but the last 120 hours were 3.65 in graduate programs, including a masters in physical therapy. My application is pretty strong other than the following.

First attempt 8/06: 25S (VR 8, PS 7, BS 10)
Second attempt 5/07: 27T (VR 9, PS 8, BS 10)

I think my years away from undergrad bit me in the butt as far as PS goes. My intuition tells me to retake basic chem and physics then retake the MCAT next year. I think I could rock it if I were a little more current in these classes, but any input you can offer will be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.