Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Was wondering how people approached studying for a retake... is the strategy significantly different? I mean, I'm hoping to increase my score across the board, but in terms of materials used... the main reason I was wondering was because when I took the test in August 2005, I took all the practice AAMC tests (3R all the way to 9R) and so I don't think I really have anything to use for practice tests. Is there anything else that anyone would recommend in terms of additional practice tests that are remotely as useful as the AAMC tests were?

Ok...I'll play as well. It's been 15-17 years since I took my basic sciences. No old jokes please.:D My average GPA is 3.44 but the last 120 hours were 3.65 in graduate programs, including a masters in physical therapy. My application is pretty strong other than the following.

First attempt 8/06: 25S (VR 8, PS 7, BS 10)
Second attempt 5/07: 27T (VR 9, PS 8, BS 10)

I think my years away from undergrad bit me in the butt as far as PS goes. My intuition tells me to retake basic chem and physics then retake the MCAT next year. I think I could rock it if I were a little more current in these classes, but any input you can offer will be helpful.
As a fellow nontrad, I agree with you. Retake the pre-reqs and get As in them, then retake the MCAT, particularly if you want to attend an allopathic school. You're not going to be 22 when you start med school no matter what you do anyway, so I wouldn't worry about an extra year or two now. Your GPA and MCAT scores are both lower than average for allo matriculants, but probably about average for osteopathic schools. If you are willing to consider osteopathic schools, that may be a viable option to you. Either way, come check out the Nontrad forum; there are tons more of us in the 30+ crowd (and even a few students who are 40+). Best of luck to you. :)

Reactions: 1 users
To Retake or not to Retake?

My MCAT was the May 25 and was a 29O
10-V
10-P
9-B

My GPA is 3.68 from an average school, BCPM is 3.51

My EC include no research but yes shadowing, volunteering (hospice and hospital)

Retake on July 23rd or no?

My prep for this was Princeton Review.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS = 8
VR = 11
WS= O
BS = 11

I'm pretty happy with everything except the PS. I ran out of time and left a bunch blank. I'm not even sure how many I left blank; anywhere from 5-10. So I know that I can improve the PS section (I got a 10 on my practice) but I'm worried about going down in VR.
I'm a White Male, 3.55 GPA, Double Major in 2 Biologys, I'm doing an Honors thesis and I have some decent volunteer and work experience.

I got a 30Q, 10's on all sections on the May 25th MCAT... GPA 3.96, BCPM slightly lower. I have lots of research, involved on campus, but no clinical experience. I'll be able to observe some surgeries this summer and hopefully do a week or two of shadowing towards the end of summer.

I think I'll be able to get into my state school (I'm a PA resident) and maybe some other "lower tier" schools, but should I retake if I want a shot at upper teir schools that have a 35 average MCAT or just give it a shot ith the numbers I've got? The other issue is whether or not to put another test date down on my AMCAS before I submit it in the next few days... or should I just let it be and tell only upper tier schools to wait for an August MCAT?

Thanks! I'd really appreciate any advice!

Ok, so I'm really bummed out right now.

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 13/6?!/10 (PS/VR/BS) Total: 29M

I have good ECs and LORs.

Should I retake or not?? I just want to get into my state school University of Maryland, but i dunno if they'll give me a chance with a 6 in VR.

Anyone got in with a similar score?

I got a 25 M:

VR-10
PS-6
BS-9

I've been out of school for three years; I had a 3.52 GPA and a double major in Biochemistry and Political Science (emphasis in Communications). In the years since, I have taught elementary through high school students, I have done research, and now I am a Project Manager in a construction company.

Am I good enough for any US medical school?

Should I retake or not?? I just want to get into my state school University of Maryland, but i dunno if they'll give me a chance with a 6 in VR.

What were your practice VR scores like? Much higher, or around a 6? If I were you, I'd probably retake. I've seen people on SDN get into schools with a 6 on VR, but there are very few of them. But I'd definitely call UofMaryland and ask them if they have a cutoff for VR. Good luck.

BLAH!

VR:9 PS: 8 BS: 11 WS: M 28 M :thumbdown:

Is it worth even applying? Or should I retake in August?

Reactions: 1 user
Science GPA: 3.75 Overall: 3.84 Res: Utah ECs: Have a name on a paper being submitted, lots of clinical experience and research.

Thanks.

Well, Univ of Utah's median MCAT is a 30, and their median gpa is 3.64 (and 75% of their class is instate). Your gpa is above the median, and your MCAT isn't that far off. I think you could certainly give it a shot with a 28. I'd also try calling the school and asking them if they recommend you retake with a 28. They probably admit a number of people with 28 MCATs if their median is 30, and it sounds like you've got great ECs to balance out the 28.

However, if you think you can definitely improve (i.e., your practice MCAT scores were higher), and you're up for retaking the MCAT, that might not be a bad idea either. I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

I've made up my mind. I'm gonna drill VR for about 4 weeks, brush up on some BS and review a little PS. Then RAPE THE F*CK OTTA the MCAT on August 6th!

My score is a 36K. Yes, that is a K. I am not sure how my writing was that bad...I answered the questions so I don't see how it was so low. My numbers were good (12/10/14) so I hate to think about retaking just for the writing, but man, K is low. Any advice?

My score is a 36K. Yes, that is a K. I am not sure how my writing was that bad...I answered the questions so I don't see how it was so low. My numbers were good (12/10/14) so I hate to think about retaking just for the writing, but man, K is low. Any advice?

I wouldnt retake! You have an amazing score...

On another note, you couldve left the writing samples blank and gotten only one score lower, a J. Thats pretty funny if you ask me...

I got a 25 M:

VR-10
PS-6
BS-9

I've been out of school for three years; I had a 3.52 GPA and a double major in Biochemistry and Political Science (emphasis in Communications). In the years since, I have taught elementary through high school students, I have done research, and now I am a Project Manager in a construction company.

I would suggest a retake to get into a US MD program.

Great score!!

Retake, please!!:D

Maybe the writing part did not save. See if you can check on it if it is really bothering you.

I had a friend that made a 33J, I think he put his head down and rested during that part!! He got accepted to both of our in-state schools easily.

Science GPA: 3.75 Overall: 3.84 Res: Utah ECs: Have a name on a paper being submitted, lots of clinical experience and research.

Thanks.

Based on what you have presented, I think you have a fairly good chance.

I would go for it myself since you have everything else covered and your scores were consistent and no really low section.

The only way I would retake is if I knew I could do better. Talk to admissions and see what they think. I know my state schools will tell you straight up.

Good luck and congrats on a solid score!!!

Hey guys (and gals),

Just got my score back:

May 2007 (29R):
PS 12
V 6
W R
BS 11

The earlier one I took, I got:

Jan 2007 (27R):
PS 10
V 6
W R
BS 11

I did not have as much time to prepare for the verbal in May...I am planning on taking it again in August, and hopefully kick some serious ass. I was wondering if I should still go ahead and submit my AMCAS? Also, do students get accepted with 6 on the verbal? My GPA is 3.9, lots of ECs and clinical experience.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

I just got my score back for my last mcat. I got a 27Q:

8 PS
9 VR
10 BS

This was the second time i took the exam and the first time i took it, i got a 26O:

10 PS
6 VR
10 BS

I got really unlucky on the most recent physical science section and got the first 3 passages with material i was the weakest on/kaplan said would most likely not be on the test (so i didn't really study them). I took two full practice tests before i took the actual test and got a 28 and 29 on them. I think if given another chance i could get a 29 or 30. I'm not sure if it is worth it though to take it again especially considering how late i would be turning in my apps. PLEASE HELP. I'm not sure what to do...

hmmm...its a tough call. if you were scoring around the same range for your practice tests (25-29 ish) i don't know how much a retake would help you...and getting 3 scores that are all roughly the same would probably hurt your case.

however, if you have been scoring in the 30s on previous practice tests then you might want to retake, only if you are sure that you can study the skipped material and raise your score by 3-4 points. its a tough call, but either way i'd make sure to apply to more lower-tier and DO schools (if interested, of course) to your list.

what are your other stats like?

Hey guys (and gals),

Just got my score back:

May 2007 (29R):
PS 12
V 6
W R
BS 11

The earlier one I took, I got:

Jan 2007 (27R):
PS 10
V 6
W R
BS 11

I did not have as much time to prepare for the verbal in May...I am planning on taking it again in August, and hopefully kick some serious ass. I was wondering if I should still go ahead and submit my AMCAS? Also, do students get accepted with 6 on the verbal? My GPA is 3.9, lots of ECs and clinical experience.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.
chances are you'll get screened out of an interview with the 6. Your best shot is trying to get at least an 8 on your VR. That may be tough to do.

Hey, I just got my new score so I thought to post. This is my first time on sdn. Congrats to all of you who recently finished the test!

Aug 06 score was 9PS 8VR and 10BS 27Q verbal is usually my strongest but for some reason it went down.

May07 score was 9PS 12VR and 10BS 31P. My GPA is below average around 3.4. I already submitted my apps so hopefully being slightly early will help. Do you think I should retake or have a decent shot with those stats?

Thank You all.

Will I get screened out of a low tier school with a PS-6?

My other scores are VS-10, and BS-9.

I've seen a lot of medical schools whose average MCAT is 25.8, or with 8's across the board.

Is a 6 in that one area just too much to deal with?

Help me, please!!!

hmmm...its a tough call. if you were scoring around the same range for your practice tests (25-29 ish) i don't know how much a retake would help you...and getting 3 scores that are all roughly the same would probably hurt your case.

however, if you have been scoring in the 30s on previous practice tests then you might want to retake, only if you are sure that you can study the skipped material and raise your score by 3-4 points. its a tough call, but either way i'd make sure to apply to more lower-tier and DO schools (if interested, of course) to your list.

what are your other stats like?

GPA is 3.67 and i have a lot of good extracurriculars, multiple job shadows, and volunteering. Research too.

So you don't have to look up again, 2 MCATS were 26O (10PS,6VR,10BS) and 27Q (8PS,9VR,10BS)...had bad luck on 2nd physical science and got 3 passages that i was weakest in. Also, i'm wondering if it's a little too late to retake. Will i be at a disadvantage if let's say i take it on July 24th?

Will I get screened out of a low tier school with a PS-6?

It's possible. I can't say, since I'm not an adcom member of any school. However, a 6 in any section is certainly enough to give me pause.

My other scores are VS-10, and BS-9.

Good.

I've seen a lot of medical schools whose average MCAT is 25.8, or with 8's across the board.

Are you thinking of applying to osteopathic medical schools, allopathic medical schools, or both? If you are thinking of DO schools, then I would agree; the average for an osteopathic medicine matriculant is around 25. If you are referring to allopathic schools, generally speaking, outside of your state school, for the best chances, you want something in the range of 30+ on your MCAT.

Is a 6 in that one area just too much to deal with?

Help me, please!!!

How did you score relative to your practice tests? PS is a relatively easier section to improve. I think a 6 is less than adequate and could potentially cause you problems, predominately with allopathic medical schools, although some osteopathic medical schools might question it as well. Again, I can't really say, since I'm not an adcom member. It does stand out to me though. Given the rest of your MCAT section scores, I think you either goofed up on that section, or you didn't have adequate physics/gen. chem. knowledge. If you think you can address and fix what is wrong with the PS section, then it would make sense to retake the MCAT.

Based on what you have presented, I think you have a fairly good chance.

I would go for it myself since you have everything else covered and your scores were consistent and no really low section.

The only way I would retake is if I knew I could do better. Talk to admissions and see what they think. I know my state schools will tell you straight up.

Good luck and congrats on a solid score!!!

I think I can do better, but I've already taken every single one of the AAMC tests. I'm thinking I might need something to evaluate my progress while I'm studying to make sure it's worth doing and doesn't harm my chances. I do have some Kaplan tests I can take--but does 30 days really give enough time to bump up everything?

10 PS/ 6 :scared: VR /10 BS, Q writing

I have a 4.0 and outstanding extracirriculars. I already submitted my primary for TMDSAS as well.

I really don't know what happened with verbal I just absolutely choked I guess, I was scoring in the 8-9 range on the practice tests so it was a complete stunner to see this score. I swear this MCAT will be the bane of me... any advice please???

GPA is 3.67 and i have a lot of good extracurriculars, multiple job shadows, and volunteering. Research too.

So you don't have to look up again, 2 MCATS were 26O (10PS,6VR,10BS) and 27Q (8PS,9VR,10BS)...had bad luck on 2nd physical science and got 3 passages that i was weakest in. Also, i'm wondering if it's a little too late to retake. Will i be at a disadvantage if let's say i take it on July 24th?

Your GPA is about average for allopathic schools. Your MCAT scores, however, are below average, in general. Your chances are better with so-called "lower-tiered" allopathic schools and your state school(s); try also, applying to schools that are in geographically less-desirable locations (beware of schools with instate preference, however). Refer to the MSAR for statistics on allopathic medical schools and for where it could make sense for you to apply.

If you are interested in osteopathic medicine, then that's where I think your best chances lie. It makes sense, assuming that you can be satisfied with a DO, to apply to osteopathic medical schools in conjunction with the allopathic schools suggested above. It can broaden your chances and options. You would be above or right at average for most osteopathic schools.

You've improved a lot from your previous MCAT; congratulations. As to the question of whether you should retake the MCAT, given the information you've given here, it's not exactly clear. Your most recent score is pretty well even and your actual score is a bit below your practice tests, but not significantly. I'd be wary of retaking it, because there is a likelihood that you could score lower than your previous test. Just look at the statistics offered by the AAMC. However, that said, if you think you can score 30+, it might make sense to retake it. I'd suggest analyzing your previous MCAT and diagnosing the problems. If they can be fixed relatively easily, such as holes in knowledge, poor test-taking strategy, or mishaps during the actual test, then try to fix them. Take a series of practice tests under real conditions and if you score significantly and consistantly higher than before, then consider going for it. There's still time to update your MCAT score, if it can be soundly improved. If you can't fix your problem within a reasonable period of time and haven't been able to improve your score beyond what you did before, I'd be careful about retaking; scoring the same, or worse, won't help you and could even be detrimental.

Good luck in deciding your next course of action.

Here's the deal : I am not a US citizen, I am not applying to US Med schools, I study at Singapore and am hoping to get into Duke-GMS.

We have to give the MCATs too- My GPA and extra-curriculars are quite ok.

My MCAT was on MAY25. Here are my scores :

PS - 11
BS -13
VR -08
WS - R

32 R

I am not a native speaker of English. But, the thing is when I asked the Admission people at Duke-GMS about what kind of MCAT scores get students a place they said something about this intake(the first intake) not being a reasonable estimate bcs we ppl in SG were all exposed to the MCAT for the very first time. They expect that when I apply, that is, one year from now, the MCAT avgs of the intake will be as high as Duke's in the states (arnd 35- i hear , again from them).

Now, I took all the AAMC CBTs and prep-ed from the Kaplan book. My sciences are quite good usually, I was averaging 12-14 in both sections in all practice tests. Verbal is usually a tough spot for me, I manage a 10-11, but never above. 8 was my lowest score in practice tests VR.

I had a kidney transplant in Nov 2006. So basically away from school for this past year- and preparing to give the MCATs to keep myself occupied during the op, post-op, one rejection (sigh!) and the likes. I did prepare over six months, though never intensely owing to several medical commitments...averaging about 2 hrs per day at the max. I was quite happy with my prep and practice scores on AAMC MCATs ( lowest- 32, highest 37 a very steady avg of 35 on arnd 5-6 tests)

The actual exam disappointed me in many ways. I ran out of time on PS and VR( which I usually dont do in practice tests). I guess I freaked out over an above average toughie PS, which apparently ddnt go that bad.. Im seeing now :eek:

But VR which was very very easy and straightforward proved to disappoint me yet again. I ran out of time for the last passage and had to leave some qns. in the last passage unanswered cs I misjudged the time. Obviously looking at my score, it was sacrilege.

So, all in all, my MCAT test day wasn't upto my expectation at all, bcs I randomly guessed a lot of qns in PS, and left out a few qns in VR- I feel now that with better time mgmt, I might have atleast done more qns in each section and probably matched up my practice test scores at 35-36.

Duke-GMS says it will take only the highest score into account for multiple retakes. And my thinking is that when I return to uni this sem, atleast my reading speed will go up, something which shd have reduced considerably during the operation recuperation period.

So, I'm thinking of giving it a break for one sem, concentrate on Uni study till Dec, do some intensive practice in weaker areas (time mgmt, VR, PS BS) in Dec hols and give it one last time in jan 2008.

How does this sound?

I got a 29R. 10PS/10BS/9VR. my overall gpa is 3.67, but my BCPM is only 3.48... what should i do?

It would help if you mentioned what state you're a resident of, how the rest of your app looks (ECs), and perhaps if your MCAT score was unexpected based on practice scores. I think you've definitely got a good shot at your state schools, but since I don't know what state you're from, I can only guess. And it seems to me you'd have a shot at some out of state schools too. Just depends on the rest of your app. Lots of people get in with a 29....

It would help if you mentioned what state you're a resident of, how the rest of your app looks (ECs), and perhaps if your MCAT score was unexpected based on practice scores. I think you've definitely got a good shot at your state schools, but since I don't know what state you're from, I can only guess. And it seems to me you'd have a shot at some out of state schools too. Just depends on the rest of your app. Lots of people get in with a 29....

okay. thanks for getting back to me!
i'm a california resident. worked with handicapped for 6 months, 120 hours of shadowing, conducted field study/volunteer work in ghana, non-medical related research, majored in social sciences, volunteered at elementary school... my practice mcat's were in the low 30 range so i'm pretty sure i could get a score in the 30's, but i kind of freak out on test day... i'm also samoan--> i don't know how much 'being brown' will help, but if it does, so be it...
any recommendations on schools too?

i'm a california resident. worked with handicapped for 6 months, 120 hours of shadowing, conducted field study/volunteer work in ghana, non-medical related research, majored in social sciences, volunteered at elementary school... my practice mcat's were in the low 30 range so i'm pretty sure i could get a score in the 30's, but i kind of freak out on test day... i'm also samoan--> i don't know how much 'being brown' will help, but if it does, so be it...

Well, some here will probably say that a 29 might be too low for CA schools, but I think given your ECs (especially the international field work) you've got a shot at CA schools, and should also add some OOS schools with median MCATs around 30. Funny thing, but I've heard that Rosalind Franklin in IL is quite partial to Californians. Flip through an MSAR book and you'll find some other good schools to pick from.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure if Samoan is considered a URM or not - probably it is, and if so, it would be considered an asset in your application. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that. But hopefully you're a US citizen, cause it's pretty tough as an international applicant.

For a Cali school that might or might not hurt. however for an East coast school or schools like SLU you might hold a shot. I'd apply broadly and see what happens. If you don't get in then I'd recommend doing a one year masters program over retaking the MCAT unless you know without an absolute doubt that you are capable of getting higher.

May 25th MCAT, 1st attempt
PS=11
VR=9
BS=10
Writing=Q
Total=30Q

I was originally really excited about my scores, but looking at the scores on here and thinking of my chances with my low GPA (3.2), I'm feeling discouraged. I thought I bombed PS and did well on my usual best section (VR) but somehow it was reversed. I know I could bring up the 9 but not so sure I could match the 11 so I'm not sure what to do. Despite my low GPA, I have great ECs (research, conference posters, shadowing) and LORs and I also have some pretty good connections. I know people say that you shouldn't retake with a 30+, but given my other stats, is it a good idea for me to retake? :confused:

May 25th MCAT, 1st attempt
PS=11
VR=9
BS=10
Writing=Q
Total=30Q

I was originally really excited about my scores, but looking at the scores on here and thinking of my chances with my low GPA (3.2), I'm feeling discouraged. I thought I bombed PS and did well on my usual best section (VR) but somehow it was reversed. I know I could bring up the 9 but not so sure I could match the 11 so I'm not sure what to do. Despite my low GPA, I have great ECs (research, conference posters, shadowing) and LORs and I also have some pretty good connections. I know people say that you shouldn't retake with a 30+, but given my other stats, is it a good idea for me to retake? :confused:

I wouldn't retake with a 30+ MCAT score, unless you have compelling reason to believe you can score considerably higher. There is a likelihood that your score will go down on a retake. Check out the AAMC MCAT data on retakes.

It's a common myth here on SDN that you can make up for a deficient GPA by raising your MCAT. While there is likely some truth to it (a higher MCAT score of course looks good and will be of benefit), I think it would be of greater benefit to you to address the actual deficiency in your application: your GPA. The high-yield approach to improving your application, if you weren't applying this cycle, might include taking fulltime semesters of advanced undergraduate science classes and trending A's to increase your GPA and to show your academic ability. There are other post-baccalaureate options as well.

Anyway, if you are planning on applying this cycle, there isn't much you can do in terms of increasing your GPA. The only thing I can say that might be of benefit is the old conventional wisdom spread on SDN: apply early and broadly. EC's help round out your application and everything is considered together, but I think the consensus here is that, unless you did something Earth-shattering in your experiences, numbers can overshadow your experiences. However, I am not an adcom member, so I can't comment on your particular situation.

Good luck in the process. Remember to research the MSAR, apply very broadly, get complete early at the schools, write compelling essays, and basically do everything you can do to favor your process. Hopefully, you'll fair well! :luck:

I got a 25 M:

VR-10
PS-6
BS-9

You're good enough for US medical schools, just not with the MCAT. While you've done some interesting things in your years since college, a 6 in PS would suggest to medical schools that you've since forgotten the material. Remember that part of the reason the schools look at the MCAT is to try to figure out if you'll be able to keep up in the first two years of medical school.

Retake the MCAT. You're a Biochemistry major, I think you could improve your physical science.

Best wishes,

'lil

I got a 25 M:

VR-10
PS-6
BS-9

It is my advice to you to retake the MCAT. The bright side is that if you could get that high of a Verbal score then getting a higher score the second time shouldn't be hard because improving the sciences is more doable then with Verbal. You just need to improve your PS by 3 or 4 points and the BS by one point. That is very very doable through a lot of practice.

I would advise you to read through the 30+ thread and then see what works best for you. Many recommend EK and Kaplan combination to get through the MCAT. Good luck.

I wouldn't retake with a 30+ MCAT score, unless you have compelling reason to believe you can score considerably higher. There is a likelihood that your score will go down on a retake. Check out the AAMC MCAT data on retakes.

It's a common myth here on SDN that you can make up for a deficient GPA by raising your MCAT. While there is likely some truth to it (a higher MCAT score of course looks good and will be of benefit), I think it would be of greater benefit to you to address the actual deficiency in your application: your GPA. The high-yield approach to improving your application, if you weren't applying this cycle, might include taking fulltime semesters of advanced undergraduate science classes and trending A's to increase your GPA and to show your academic ability. There are other post-baccalaureate options as well.

Anyway, if you are planning on applying this cycle, there isn't much you can do in terms of increasing your GPA. The only thing I can say that might be of benefit is the old conventional wisdom spread on SDN: apply early and broadly. EC's help round out your application and everything is considered together, but I think the consensus here is that, unless you did something Earth-shattering in your experiences, numbers can overshadow your experiences. However, I am not an adcom member, so I can't comment on your particular situation.

Good luck in the process. Remember to research the MSAR, apply very broadly, get complete early at the schools, write compelling essays, and basically do everything you can do to favor your process. Hopefully, you'll fair well! :luck:

I agree with this advice. I would apply broadly and early. if you don't get in then try applying to a one year masters programs like the "SMPs"

SMP = Special Masters program and allows you to take med school courses and if you do well you get a higher chance of getting in somewhere.

If you don't get in this year then that is my best advice of what you could do or as they pointed out you could take a year of higher level undergrad courses or do another one or two year masters program.

I took the MCAT in January and did not do well AT ALL. I took Kaplan last summer and decided that I was not read to take the test in Aug. so I studied all during winter break and took it Jan. 29th. Score: VR-6 PS-8 BS-9 WS-Q 23Q:mad:. I am signed up to take it again on Aug 9th and I am been doing some practice stuff since end of May I am working with a guy on testing strategy but even with that I am still getting a lot of answers wrong. If anyone has any advice on how to help me it would be much appreciated. I am getting quite frustrated because I have been studying off and on for a year and I am my score along with my practice scores (highest was a 24 so far) are definitely not showing how much effort I am putting into this. :(

For a Cali school that might or might not hurt. however for an East coast school or schools like SLU you might hold a shot. I'd apply broadly and see what happens. If you don't get in then I'd recommend doing a one year masters program over retaking the MCAT unless you know without an absolute doubt that you are capable of getting higher.

Thanks Gujudoc!:)

I agree with this advice. I would apply broadly and early. if you don't get in then try applying to a one year masters programs like the "SMPs"

SMP = Special Masters program and allows you to take med school courses and if you do well you get a higher chance of getting in somewhere.

If you don't get in this year then that is my best advice of what you could do or as they pointed out you could take a year of higher level undergrad courses or do another one or two year masters program.

thanks for the advice!!

You would be better off taking the GRE and scoring well on that verbal section.

the quantitative is super easy.

Disregard the poster posting about the GRE. On a more serious note, I'd advise you to not retake it unless you are in Canada where there are strict cutoffs.

The general consensus is that numerical score is the important part and writing is not that important. they'll see your writing skills from your essays on secondaries and amcas anyhow.

I received a 28M.

PS: 10
VR: 10
BS: 8

I know that 8 is going to hurt. I averaged between 30 and 36 on the AAMC practice tests. I signed up to retake in August. Any words of wisdom?

I posted this on the score thread, figured i'd get more input here.

9 VR
10 PS
11 BS
Writing Sample M:confused:
Total: 30M

What do you guys think, practice scores were between 28-32. 28s on AAMC and ~30 on Kaplan. But I never practiced the writing sample, and I guessed it showed. Do you think it'll be a problem? What about a 9 VR? Should I retake? I don't plan on it, but I would like some input if possible

whether you should retake or not kind of depends on some other variables. What state are you from, what is your gpa, how strong are your ec's? The score is very good. It also depends on if you're apply this year or next year. If you have another year, take awhile to study for it, if not, again depending on your other stats, i'm sure you'll have a pretty decent pick of schools to choose from when the time comes

Status
Not open for further replies.