Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Unless you are applying for a DO school or some of the weaker tier MD schools I would retake but it's a close call :). Good luck..

PS: 8 VR: 9 BS: 10 WS: M -- 27M
GPA: 3.63
Fairly good amount of volunteering experience.

I'd like to get in to a University of California school, and I do live in CA but they are really competitive.

Do you think I should retake?

The absolute cut-off is MCAT 24 with none less than 7. My 2 cents comment is that you need to be about MCAT 30/31 for your GPA particularly in CA to be competitive. 27 is not that far away from low 30. You can do it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
The absolute cut-off is MCAT 24 with none less than 7. My 2 cents comment is that you need to be about MCAT 30/31 for your GPA particularly in CA to be competitive. 27 is not that far away from low 30. You can do it. :thumbup:

To me, for a person with a 3.6 GPA and wanting to stay in CA, a competitive MCAT would be 34ish if they're looking at MD schools. Heck, even a perfect GPA and a 34 might not be enough for CA schools. CA is extremely competitive.

To me, for a person with a 3.6 GPA and wanting to stay in CA, a competitive MCAT would be 34ish if they're looking at MD schools. Heck, even a perfect GPA and a 34 might not be enough for CA schools. CA is extremely competitive.

Your comments are very scary.............:eek:

CA is on different league?

What up guys. Just wanted to get some more opinions for my plans before applying again this cycle. I have a cumulative MCAT score of 29Q (10PS/8VR/11BS). I got rejected last cycle from the University of Kansas. I was told by the dean to improve my clinical exposure experience and when I asked if I should retake the mcat, she basically said not to. I'm pretty torn on the issue but I feel that I can score ~3 points better, though (scored 28 - 34 on aamc CBTs with an average verbal of around 9-10) especially with the extra time I have this semester... do you guys think that it is worth the time and effort to retake?

I will apply early decision to KU med as my first choice, but will try to apply broadly if rejected..

Other application: GPA of ~3.7 cum and ~3.6 sci. I have volunteer experience at a non-profit clinic where I got plenty of patient contact (took vitals, ran a few lab tests, phlebotomy etc.) for approx 2 years and I also was a hospice volunteer for about a year. I work at a biotech/pharmacy company and have been there for 2 years doing research (running kinase assays on cancer cells mainly). I have other research experience at KU in a cancer lab and at the KU med center in a neurophysiology lab - for 1 semester and 1 summer, respectively. Got some church volunteering and was youth group leader for a year. I have shadowed one doc and plan to shadow two others before applying. Oh, and I'm a KS resident.

Damn, that was long.

Thanks in advance!

What up guys. Just wanted to get some more opinions for my plans before applying again this cycle. I have a cumulative MCAT score of 29Q (10PS/8VR/11BS). I got rejected last cycle from the University of Kansas. I was told by the dean to improve my clinical exposure experience and when I asked if I should retake the mcat, she basically said not to. I'm pretty torn on the issue but I feel that I can score ~3 points better, though (scored 28 - 34 on aamc CBTs with an average verbal of around 9-10) especially with the extra time I have this semester... do you guys think that it is worth the time and effort to retake?

I will apply early decision to KU med as my first choice, but will try to apply broadly if rejected..

Other application: GPA of ~3.7 cum and ~3.6 sci. I have volunteer experience at a non-profit clinic where I got plenty of patient contact (took vitals, ran a few lab tests, phlebotomy etc.) for approx 2 years and I also was a hospice volunteer for about a year. I work at a biotech/pharmacy company and have been there for 2 years doing research (running kinase assays on cancer cells mainly). I have other research experience at KU in a cancer lab and at the KU med center in a neurophysiology lab - for 1 semester and 1 summer, respectively. Got some church volunteering and was youth group leader for a year. I have shadowed one doc and plan to shadow two others before applying. Oh, and I'm a KS resident.

Damn, that was long.

Thanks in advance!

was the 29 on your first shot? If so, keep that score and listen to what Dean McCurdy says.

was the 29 on your first shot? If so, keep that score and listen to what Dean McCurdy says.

Yes, it was on my first shot.. but I know that at KU, they lump the 24-29 MCAT scores into a group (Group B) and 30+ MCAT scores into a group. I'm afraid that my average stats are just not good enough with the rise in competition in the recent years.. Also being flat out rejected and not even put on the wait list kind of worries me. Anyways, thanks a lot for the advice. I appreciate it!

Took MCAT 2 years ago 7VR, 8PS, 10BS (25)
Took MCAT again just now 5VR, 10PS, 11BS (26)

I have no clue what happened on VR. What should I do?

Hey all,

Hope this isn't too weird to ask about retaking. Just see such a variety of scores here that I don't know what to think :p

So the basics...

GPA: 3.98 (molecular bio major with a second major focused on medical humanities and sociology)
MCAT: 12 PS / 8 VR / 13 BS and R on writing --> 33R
Ohio resident

Aiming for...
Ohio State, Case Western, Georgetown, Penn, and St. Louis

Would the big gap between the sciences and verbal reasoning mean much at the schools I'm aiming for?

Comments appreciated :)

Tanstripe

Members don't see this ad :)
From the Jan 28th MCAT: 30N(PS:12, VR:9, BS:9)

Reason for retake: I have the TBR books and TPR, but I only read thru them while doing in chapter problems. I never even touched a single TBR practice passage, only finished about 100 questions in EK 1001, and have the TPR Science and verbal workbook unused. I did do a few AAMC's 3-9 ). Also, my biology is very, very weak and I'm going to double major in biomedical science, taking upper level science classes such as genetics, biochem, micro, physiology, etc. I feel that those classes will help me for the BS section a lot. Plus if I plan my retake I can actually do problems this time instead of focusing on content like I did for that test.

Again maybe im crazy doing this? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your advice grad. I agree that the BS section seemed to be geared toward critical thinking. I wish I could find out exactly what my problem was, but I guess all I can do now is just read and take as many practice sections as possible. Still can't believe my best section ended up being my worst. Thats the way it goes.
zhao3.jpg
zhao2.jpg
zhao4.jpg

Got scores back: 6PS 11VR 9BS (26Q)
So upset! :mad: I really didn't want to have to take it again. I've always had trouble with the sciences but I didn't expect this. I averaged 7 on TPR and 9 on AAMC tests for PS and 10 for BS. I guess I need to regroup and maybe study with TBR for the next one.

Last edited:
Scores:

30 Q
PS- 12
VR- 8
BS- 10

I have a 3.82 GPA (and math/science is slightly higher than that)
Major: Molecular Bio, Biochem.

A little about me and my goals:
I'm a second semester Junior. This is the first time I took the exam. I've involved in a variety of ECs:
- VP of a student org (been on the board for two years)
- EMT (been an emt for about 5 months now, been in EMS for over a year)
- Worship leader/guitarist for about 4 years at church
- Lab Research (more like "research assistant" but I get to do a lot of the work, and starting this summer, it will just be me and the PI as the grad student will be gone)
- Shadowed a few doctors

Prep for the exam: I started pretty much exactly 1 month before my test date...

I'm an NJ resident. I would like to leave the state if possible, and I would like to try for some "higher tiered" schools. And now the million dollar question: should i spend a bit more time and try to get my scores up higher (i realllllly dont want to!)?

Also while we're at it, what are some "high tiered" schools within <400miles from NJ that I could seriously consider?

Thanks guys :)

i was a 1/28 test taker. just got my score back. 32S - 11 VS, 10 PS, 11 BS.

I'm a senior in my spring semester, gpa is around 3.562 (thats going to rise a bit more approaching 3.6 after this semester), science gpa is around 3.5.

im a NJ resident, and i would like to stay in NJ or go somewhere in NY. at the very least, i would very much like to stay in the states; leaving the US to go to medical school would preferentially be a last resort for me.

should i retake?

Hey all,

Hope this isn't too weird to ask about retaking. Just see such a variety of scores here that I don't know what to think :p

So the basics...

GPA: 3.98 (molecular bio major with a second major focused on medical humanities and sociology)
Ohio resident

Aiming for...

Would the big gap between the sciences and verbal reasoning mean much at the schools I'm aiming for?

Tanstripe

For in-state Ohio State - 33R should be good to go.

Don't know much about Case Western & Georgetown.

If you mean U of Washington in St. Louis, then you may have an issue. They love high numbers. ~ 36 and up:p

Actually with 33R and your GPA, you are very compatible with many school. Just curious, have you thought of looking at others than the 4 you mentioned?

32 O (11/11/10 with the 10 in BS)
3.45 cGPA
3.19 sGPA

Planning to take another year of science courses so when I apply my cGPA should be above 3.5 and sGPA should be above 3.3

Only studied for a month the first time I took the MCAT and ended up below my practice test average (34), so I feel that with a full 3 months of studying I could improve my score significantly. My biggest concern is that with my GPAs already low, if I do worse the second time around will I be completely shooting myself in the foot?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Score:
31R (12 PS, 7 VR, 12 BS)
Im worried about my VR score :S

3.67 cum GPA
3.67 sGPA
Hoping for MD in WI (Madison)
Have worked as a CNA and a job coach. Volunteered at nearby hospital. Research for 1.5 years.

Last edited:
hi all,

31Q (PS/VS/BS: 10/10/11). non sci major, 3.71 cum at ivy league, taking a year off between graduation and med school to do some clinical research.

i want to at least feel like i have a shot at applying to some top tier schools (umich, upenn, yale, columbia, chicago, etc)

i was scoring 33-34 on AAMC exams, but obviously there's no guarantee that i would achieve that if i were to retake. if i were to get a 33/34, would that even help?

thanks!

Hey guys, I just got my score back today: 12 VR, 12 BS, 8 PS :( for a cumulative of 32O. Should I retake or don't bother? I am confident I can improve my PS score (shouldn't be too hard...) but I highly doubt I can improve or even match my other subscores. So I am kind of in a tricky situation, what do you guys think? Should I just go with it? I feel like the 8 is really gonna stick out like a sore thumb :(

It's too bad about the PS, since everything else is solid. In truth, depending on what schools you are considering, you could probably roll with that score. PS is probably the least significant section, and I don't think an 8 is deal-breaking (especially in the context of 2 12s). That said, the score will probably close some doors at higher ranked schools, if that's important to you. I can understand the fear of under-performing on the other two sections the next time around...that's the risk of the retake that everyone faces. A drop of a point or two in either section wouldn't be horrible though, so keep that in mind.

Hey all,

So the basics...

Ohio resident

Aiming for...

Tanstripe

Really great sciences. Some people suggest that verbal is fairly important when they evaluate MCAT scores. I think, like the student above, in the context of your two other strong subscores, you would probably be okay with this 8. But also, like the student above, the 8 may push you out of some of the super-competitive schools. I notice you have some high-ranked, popular schools listed as targets, and I think you would have a hard time landing an interview at some of them with an 8 in verbal. It may be worth researching the success of previous applicants at those specific schools. In general though, I think you have a decent shot at admission somewhere, if you are willing to apply broadly and if everything else on your app is solid (great gpa btw).

Reason for retake: I have the TBR books and TPR, but I only read thru them while doing in chapter problems. I never even touched a single TBR practice passage, only finished about 100 questions in EK 1001, and have the TPR Science and verbal workbook unused. I did do a few AAMC's 3-9 ). Also, my biology is very, very weak and I'm going to double major in biomedical science, taking upper level science classes such as genetics, biochem, micro, physiology, etc. I feel that those classes will help me for the BS section a lot. Plus if I plan my retake I can actually do problems this time instead of focusing on content like I did for that test.

I don't think it's crazy to consider a retake, given your situation. That said, your score is fairly balanced, and it is reasonably competitive. You will be able to get into med school somewhere with that score, but it will be tough at the more selective places. Also, if you do retake, you will want to show significant improvement, so that the admissions committee views your retake as justified, as opposed to someone who is obsessed with stats. If I were in this situation, I would study for a retake using the materials/strategy you have now, take the AAMCs that I haven't done yet, and if I'm consistently scoring in the mid to high 30s, go ahead and sit for the retake. If you're only scoring a 2-3 points higher on practice tests, I would not recommend retaking.

So I just got my score from the 1/28 test date. My score is 30S 8,11,11
(VR, PS, BS). I am deeply concerned. My AAMC average was a consistent 32 (10, 10-12, 10-12). The verbal score barely fluctuated (5 out of 8 AAMC FLs were 10s). In addition, the verbal scores I get on EK101 was almost always a 10. Do you think it's worth retaking? This was my first time taking the exam. I am from CA, but wouldn't mind going OOS.

To give some background, I spent 6 months studying on my own with a bunch of BR books and the PR bio review book with EK101 verbal to supplement them.

Not a bad score overall. Like the others, 2 solid subscores, 1 troubling subscore. Because you are a CA resident, I would lean more toward a retake in this situation. My main concern is that it seems you have depleted a significant chunk of the best practice materials, and you have already studied for an extended period. If you think you have sufficient resources to hammer verbal practice, as well as maintain your proficiency in the sciences, then I think you can go for a retake. But if you've already used up EK101 and the TPR book, I don't think you should feel bad about applying with this score. You will have a hard time in CA, but if you are willing to apply to a wide mix of OOS schools, you still have a chance (depends on gpa and other elements of the app)

Hi All!
After reading many of the posts on this thread, it seems that the concensus feels that a 30 MCAT, even with a high GPA, (>3.75 GPA) isn't enough anymore to get into an allopathic medical school. Is this generally true for the most part? Please be honest with the facts, as it is critical in deciding my next step regarding my preparation for admittance.

Well, I feel terrible.

I received my January 28 results and I scored a 28... Physics 12, Verbal 7, Biology 9, :(.

When I was practicing, my averages were pretty solidly a 10 on physics (I think I got an 8 first, something clicked and then I kept getting 10s, and then one 12); a 10 for verbal (10 first, an 11 at least twice, and an anomaly 8, but never, ever this low); and and a 10 for biology (every single time -- I think it had a lot to do with me having only the minimal science background, two introductory courses, and thus, literally having to learn all of the basic information). On the 6 AAMC ones that I took in January (I took TPR and AAMC 3 right when I started studying and really don't find them representative at all), I ranged from 28-33, hitting a perfectly balanced 10/10/10 on the last one before my exam.

My GPA is approximately 3.95, my science GPA is at least 3.85+ but maybe 3.9 (haven't worked it out lately). My EC's are in line.

I'm about 99.9% this ruins my entire chance at MD schools. I would really go to *any* school, no lie, but I feel hopeless with that.

Here's the question, I'm out of the country and cannot begin re-studying until I return in June (the first). So I'm not sure if I should even attempt this upcoming cycle? Like even if I somehow kicked it out, I feel like some schools would automatically reject me and they would never even know that another (hopefully improved!) score was coming.

This is just a terrible, terrible feeling. Especially when you studied so hard and watched yourself improve incredibly (my diagnostic was shameful). Like somebody said, I don't even feel like hitting a 30 is enough for MD now.

Last edited:
Well, I was hoping I would be posting in the 30+ tips thread instead of this one, but oh well.:oops:

My score on the 1/27/12 test was a 31O(11/8/12). This was a retake for me, but I was really hoping for a much higher score. The PS and BS were right in my average, but the verbal score is ~2.5 lower than my practice test average. I never scored below a 10 in any of the AAMCs, so the 8 is a real head scratcher.

I was intending to apply as early as possible when apps open in June, but I was wondering if a quick re-take would be a good decision. Both my cGPA and sGPA are a little low at 3.5 each, but I do have a steep upward trend of >3.9 in 30 credits of a post-bac. For reference, I'm applying MD and have WI residency. All opinions welcome.

tl;dr version: bolded important info

For in-state Ohio State - 33R should be good to go.

Don't know much about Case Western & Georgetown.

If you mean U of Washington in St. Louis, then you may have an issue. They love high numbers. ~ 36 and up:p

Actually with 33R and your GPA, you are very compatible with many school. Just curious, have you thought of looking at others than the 4 you mentioned?

Thanks for the thoughts (you and Robot Skeleton)! I was actually referring to SLU, St. Louis University, because they have a bioethics program from what I know. I guess I'm trying to determine which schools I want to seriously consider, so I'll try to figure that out (probably should ask that on a different thread). As for other schools, I'm looking at most schools in Ohio (Cincinnati and Boonshoft at Wright State in particular), as well as Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.

My cGPA is 3.3 with an upward trend. Near a 3.0 the first half of college, a 3.50 since.
My sGPA is a 3.48.
MCAT 29Q Bio: 10 PS: 9 V: 10

I will have about 120 hours of volunteering at the end of the year, including time as a Research Associate for the AMA Tobacco Cessation Study.

I plan on applying broadly to DO schools, and my in state MD school. With these stats do you think I have a chance at getting an interview somewhere? I'm really thinking about retaking the MCAT to try and get a score above thirty. What are your thoughts?

Scores:

30 Q
PS- 12
VR- 8
BS- 10

I have a 3.82 GPA (and math/science is slightly higher than that)
Major: Molecular Bio, Biochem.

A little about me and my goals:
I'm a second semester Junior. This is the first time I took the exam. I've involved in a variety of ECs:
- VP of a student org (been on the board for two years)
- EMT (been an emt for about 5 months now, been in EMS for over a year)
- Worship leader/guitarist for about 4 years at church
- Lab Research (more like "research assistant" but I get to do a lot of the work, and starting this summer, it will just be me and the PI as the grad student will be gone)
- Shadowed a few doctors

Prep for the exam: I started pretty much exactly 1 month before my test date...

I'm an NJ resident. I would like to leave the state if possible, and I would like to try for some "higher tiered" schools. And now the million dollar question: should i spend a bit more time and try to get my scores up higher (i realllllly dont want to!)?

Also while we're at it, what are some "high tiered" schools within <400miles from NJ that I could seriously consider?

Thanks guys :)

borderline score + one notably weak section + desire to go to a higher ranked school = retake. The higher ranked schools in your area include the NY schools like Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai. You've got decent ECs, but I think in order to maximize your chances at the very selective schools in your area, you want to raise your score by 5-6 points at least.

i was a 1/28 test taker. just got my score back. 32S - 11 VS, 10 PS, 11 BS.

I'm a senior in my spring semester, gpa is around 3.562 (thats going to rise a bit more approaching 3.6 after this semester), science gpa is around 3.5.

im a NJ resident, and i would like to stay in NJ or go somewhere in NY. at the very least, i would very much like to stay in the states; leaving the US to go to medical school would preferentially be a last resort for me.

should i retake?

Good overall score, balanced breakdown. You have great chances at a US MD (you have no reason to be thinking about leaving the states at this point). I'm not very familiar with the UMDNJ schools, but I can't imagine your solid score being a hindrance to admission there. Don't retake.

32 O (11/11/10 with the 10 in BS)
3.45 cGPA
3.19 sGPA

Planning to take another year of science courses so when I apply my cGPA should be above 3.5 and sGPA should be above 3.3

Only studied for a month the first time I took the MCAT and ended up below my practice test average (34), so I feel that with a full 3 months of studying I could improve my score significantly. My biggest concern is that with my GPAs already low, if I do worse the second time around will I be completely shooting myself in the foot?

The score is fine--the sGPA is too low. Your actual score is close enough to your practice average (you can always expect to score +/- a few points of your AAMC average) that I'm not sure a retake would yield significantly different results. Additionally, I'm not sure the extent to which an MCAT score of 34 or 35 on a second attempt would alleviate concerns about a low sGPA. My recommendation is to not worry about the MCAT, and bring up that GPA however possible--maybe even consider one of those SMPs students do after they graduate to show you can, in fact, excel in an academic setting.

If you're dead set on it, and you still have some AAMCs to spare, study for the 3 months, and if your AAMC average is in the high 30s, go for it. Otherwise, forget it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Score:
31R (12 PS, 7 VR, 12 BS)
Im worried about my VR score :S

3.67 cum GPA
3.67 sGPA
Hoping for MD in WI (Madison)
Have worked as a CNA and a job coach. Volunteered at nearby hospital. Research for 1.5 years.

Great sciences, sorry about the verbal. Most people seem to suggest that a 7 on any section is a deal-breaker. You can try to research mdapps or something to see if anyone has been admitted with a 7. It's really unfortunate to go through all of this again in spite of 12s on PS/BS, but I would probably retake.

hi all,

31Q (PS/VS/BS: 10/10/11). non sci major, 3.71 cum at ivy league, taking a year off between graduation and med school to do some clinical research.

i want to at least feel like i have a shot at applying to some top tier schools (umich, upenn, yale, columbia, chicago, etc)

i was scoring 33-34 on AAMC exams, but obviously there's no guarantee that i would achieve that if i were to retake. if i were to get a 33/34, would that even help?

thanks!

A 33-34 is different from a 31, but not different enough to make a big impact for a second-time test taker. I say don't bother. Your gpa and ivy league status will be helpful, and I wouldn't be surprised if you still get some interviews at more competitive schools. You do face tough odds though. The year I applied, I think the first round of admits at Mich had an MCAT average of 38.

Hello fellow MCATers! I know that the general advice for retaking on a 30+ MCAT score is "no" but I have seen that people can improve their scores with hard work so wanted to get some advice.

My score from 1/27 is 32S:

PS 8
VR 11
BS 13

I am proud of my BS section but am shocked by my PS section. During practice exams it was actually usually my highest section; I was averaging 11s and 12s. Though my nerves were bad in the beginning and I had an uneasy feeling about how I did in PS, I certainly didn't think I would be getting an 8. For at least two months before the test I was scoring 11s in verbal so I'm sure that if I took it again I would get an 11 or higher in that section. I was generally getting 11-12 in bio on practice exams. My best practice exam was AAMC 10 and I made a 35. I am aware that if I retake I may not be able to pull off a 13 in bio, but even if it drops a point, wouldn't it be better to even out my score a bit? The only reason I am even considering retaking is that I am absolutely sure I could raise my PS section. I am positive that an 8 is not a good reflection of what I am capable of.

I have tons of volunteer and community involvement experience and some unique things that I'll be able to add to my application. I know that my numbers will be competitive for in-state schools (Texas) but I will be applying to MD/MPH programs and have some dream schools that I would like to maximize my chances for. My GPA is a 3.8.

Any constructive comments are welcome. Thanks ya'll :)

As you said, you're probably good for in-state schools. The only reason to retake would be for some of the more competitive programs. If having a better shot at them is a priority, then go for it.

Hi All!
After reading many of the posts on this thread, it seems that the concensus feels that a 30 MCAT, even with a high GPA, (>3.75 GPA) isn't enough anymore to get into an allopathic medical school. Is this generally true for the most part? Please be honest with the facts, as it is critical in deciding my next step regarding my preparation for admittance.

I don't think so. There are schools out there that value other elements of the application over stats. Depending on how strong your app is, you definitely can get in somewhere with a 30. Your shots are not as good at top research institutions, but that may or may not be important to you.

Well, I feel terrible.

I received my January 28 results and I scored a 28... Physics 12, Verbal 7, Biology 9, :(.

When I was practicing, my averages were pretty solidly a 10 on physics (I think I got an 8 first, something clicked and then I kept getting 10s, and then one 12); a 10 for verbal (10 first, an 11 at least twice, and an anomaly 8, but never, ever this low); and and a 10 for biology (every single time -- I think it had a lot to do with me having only the minimal science background, two introductory courses, and thus, literally having to learn all of the basic information). On the 6 AAMC ones that I took in January (I took TPR and AAMC 3 right when I started studying and really don't find them representative at all), I ranged from 28-33, hitting a perfectly balanced 10/10/10 on the last one before my exam.

My GPA is approximately 3.95, my science GPA is at least 3.85+ but maybe 3.9 (haven't worked it out lately). My EC's are in line.

I'm about 99.9% this ruins my entire chance at MD schools. I would really go to *any* school, no lie, but I feel hopeless with that.

Here's the question, I'm out of the country and cannot begin re-studying until I return in June (the first). So I'm not sure if I should even attempt this upcoming cycle? Like even if I somehow kicked it out, I feel like some schools would automatically reject me and they would never even know that another (hopefully improved!) score was coming.

This is just a terrible, terrible feeling. Especially when you studied so hard and watched yourself improve incredibly (my diagnostic was shameful). Like somebody said, I don't even feel like hitting a 30 is enough for MD now.

I understand your frustration, and am sorry things didn't work out this time around. The one thing you should know though is this does not end your chances at a US MD. You will need to retake, but there plenty of people who are able to see significant improvement from your level on their second attempts. Do not apply for this cycle. Take your time, and don't rush the retake.

Well, I was hoping I would be posting in the 30+ tips thread instead of this one, but oh well.:oops:

My score on the 1/27/12 test was a 31O(11/8/12). This was a retake for me, but I was really hoping for a much higher score. The PS and BS were right in my average, but the verbal score is ~2.5 lower than my practice test average. I never scored below a 10 in any of the AAMCs, so the 8 is a real head scratcher.

I was intending to apply as early as possible when apps open in June, but I was wondering if a quick re-take would be a good decision. Both my cGPA and sGPA are a little low at 3.5 each, but I do have a steep upward trend of >3.9 in 30 credits of a post-bac. For reference, I'm applying MD and have WI residency. All opinions welcome.

tl;dr version: bolded important info

How did you do on your first attempt? I hesitate to suggest that anyone should take this test 3 times. I'm not sure how much weight they bear when there are 3 scores for them to look at.

I personally don't think I need to retake but I figured I would post here since people with higher scores than me post.
My MCAT was a 31S (PS: 11, BS: 10, VR: 10)
I'm happy with my score because my AAMC average was a 29ish and I am even happier about the even distribution, which people seem to make a big deal of.
My cGPA is 3.7 and my sGPA is 3.4
I have a LOT of clinical experience in research and in a clinical setting, am an EMT (who works as one, not just has a certification), and have my name on two papers published in cancer research journals. I am also senior editor of a medical journal (undergrad) at my school and I go to a top tier private university.
I think I have a pretty well rounded application but if people with 33's are concerned and posting on this thread, it makes me feel like I might have something to worry about haha
Thanks!!!

You're fine. Don't retake.

How did you do on your first attempt? I hesitate to suggest that anyone should
take this test 3 times. I'm not sure how much weight they bear when there are 3
scores for them to look at.

Unfortunately, I got a 30 on my first attempt (7 on verbal) with much, much less studying. The sad thing is I can chalk the first attempt 7 up to not studying for verbal at all, but the 8 this time around really hurts because I studied very hard for verbal and had no indication that the 8 was coming. I share your concern about taking the test a 3rd time. I feel like it may not be given much weight no matter the score I would get. However, I'm not sure if the 8 will screen me out at any schools.

Unfortunately, I got a 30 on my first attempt (7 on verbal) with much, much less studying. The sad thing is I can chalk the first attempt 7 up to not studying for verbal at all, but the 8 this time around really hurts because I studied very hard for verbal and had no indication that the 8 was coming. I share your concern about taking the test a 3rd time. I feel like it may not be given much weight no matter the score I would get. However, I'm not sure if the 8 will screen me out at any schools.

Yeah, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I think verbal is the section that is most likely to produce negative surprises. Try to see if you can get in touch with an adcom member (either here on SDN, or if you know anyone through your university) and ask them how they look at 8s, since I don't know if it would screen you out. I was under the impression that 7 was the magic number, but I don't have any inside info about that. Either way, you may just have to push forward with this score. Work to make the rest of your app as solid as possible and apply broadly. Best of luck.

I think I'm fine, but I'm hearing mixed responses. I trust my SDN so here I am.

First time MCAT (1/28/12) 11/12/11: 34Q (with Verbal being the 12)
overall GPA= 3.5, science GPA is a little bit higher.
CA resident plus the (double whammy) asian.

I got some pretty good EC's (shadowing, CCE, volunterering, studied abroad at Cambridge University, 3 years of research/lab experience) and good leadership (started an org and various programs, vp/p of a few orgs)

Worth to retake? I was scoring around 30-32 on my practices and if I were to retake, I'd have to make it a 2 year gap.

I think I'm fine, but I'm hearing mixed responses. I trust my SDN so here I am.

First time MCAT (1/28/12) 11/12/11: 34Q (with Verbal being the 12)
overall GPA= 3.5, science GPA is a little bit higher.
CA resident plus the (double whammy) asian.

I got some pretty good EC's (shadowing, CCE, volunterering, studied abroad at Cambridge University, 3 years of research/lab experience) and good leadership (started an org and various programs, vp/p of a few orgs)

Worth to retake? I was scoring around 30-32 on my practices and if I were to retake, I'd have to make it a 2 year gap.

I'm also taking a gap year so I totally understand the reluctance to make it 2 years. You got an AWESOME score and it was higher than your practice scores so I would definitely not retake if I were you. I know your GPA may seem a bit on the "lower" side but I think your MCAT will help you stand out especially with your good ECs. I would NOT recommend a retake and good luck with apps !!! :D

So I just got my most recent score back and was hoping for some advice—

5/27/10- VR/PS/BS = 11/9/10 (30Q)
1/28/10- VR/PS/BS = 9/11/10 (30Q)

I applied in 2010, before beginning my senior year of college, with a 3.56 cGPA and a 3.27 sGPA. I have strong ECs, including EMS and research, but did not have any clinical experience at the time. I had two interviews in the 2010 cycle and was waitlisted at one of the schools. However, I did not get accepted.

I’m currently taking time off and working full-time as a Research Tech in a teaching hospital. With my senior year grades, I’ve gotten my sGPA up to an even 3.3 and my cGPA to a 3.6. I’ve also added about 80 hours of clinical experience, and plan to do more over the next several months.

I majored in Political Science and am aiming for a joint degree-- MD and a Masters in Public Health.

I know that my GPA is not spectacular, and I was really hoping to improve my MCAT score dramatically in January, but that obviously didn’t happen. The VR score was a particularly nasty surprise since verbal has always been my strongest section and I was consistently getting 12s on the AAMC practice exam. I’m also disappointed by the bio score; I felt much more prepared for the Jan 2012 MCAT than I felt for the May 2010 MCAT and expected the score to reflect that.

So, what should I do? Do I retake and hope that I don’t get another rough verbal section, while maintaining my bio and physics scores or do I just apply more broadly this time around? Do you think getting the same score both times will ultimately hurt my application?

Hi

I have a 3.4 GPA, with an upward trend though and I got a 37N (14,10,13)

I really want to get into a CA school, but I'm afraid this N will hinder my chances. Should I retake?

I know I already posted in this thread, but there are some additional information that I did not provide when I posted my original post because I did not think it was relevant.

Basically, I got a 33Q (13BS, 12PS, 8VR) and am debating whether or not I should retake the MCAT because I averaged 9-10 on practice VR.
However, many people, including counselors, have discouraged me from retaking because they said that, with English being my second language (I moved to the US at the age of 14), med schools do not care as much about the VR section.
They also said that this overall score should be competitive for a California medical school, which is where I am hoping to go (I am a California resident)

What do you guys think?

Took it 4 times. I need to buckle down.

I would not retake anymore. It seems like you hit a barrier and your 4th score decreased by 2 points. A 33 is above the average for matric. students. Where are you hoping to apply?

I have a 3.7 GPA out of UCLA and a 3.74 science GPA. I have done a lot of overseas work in the middle east and I started a student group aimed at running health clinics for the underserved in LA. I took the MCAT in July and got a 31. Took it again in January and got a 30. This score was a bit weird because I ran out of time on Verbal and think I skipped a passage.

Right after my January MCAT I was diagnosed with a really bad case of anemia (hemoglobin 6). I am signed up to retake the April MCAT and am scoring in the 35+ range.

Should I retake? I would attach an addendum to my application. Or should I just do an update for the schools I receive a secondary from?

Btw I forgot to add, my GPA is a 3.71 right now and my sGPA is a 3.64. Should I just be happy with my score and focus on my EC's or take higher level science classes and retake it.

Hi

I have a 3.4 GPA, with an upward trend though and I got a 37N (14,10,13)

I really want to get into a CA school, but I'm afraid this N will hinder my chances. Should I retake?

What????? NOOOOOOO DO NOT RETAKE. A 37 PUTS YOU IN LIKE THE 95TH PERCENTILE. Nobody cares about your writing skills if you got a 10 in verbal.

I've been satisfied with my score until recently reading the past few posts on this thread.

Ok here's my situation:
I received a 33P (PS: 14, VR: 7, BS: 12)

I attend a state school, lots of ECs (leadership, clinical, etc.), about a year's worth of research (few abstracts/poster presentations, no publications), and 4.00 science GPA with a 3.94 overall. What should I do? I really don't want to put myself through another brutal time lapse of what is known as MCAT studying lol, but will the 7 in verbal screen me out of schools? I'm look to apply to roughly 12 schools, with about 3 or 4 being top 20; the rest of the schools having scores of 33-34 as the median 50%. I also consider myself disadvantaged socioeconomically and especially with my educational background (poorest county in the state).

So I got my Jan MCAT scores back this week and I was slightly disappointed. I averaged about a 35-36 on the AAMC practice test (with a 38 on one of the last ones). I was hitting 9-11 on verbal and 12-14 for the bio and physical science. My score I got back from the real deal was 33Q (10V, 10P, 13B). I wasn't feeling super charged up in the beginning on test day mostly because I was trying to stay cool and not freak. The result I think was that I wasn't as sharp on the PS but I hit my stride for the rest of the test. I think that if I study a bit more and get more "in the zone" for physics that I might be able to bump that up a couple points. On the other hand is the couple points really going to make a difference especially considering there is always the possibility (albeit slim if I review for all sections) that one of the scores will go down? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.