Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Would anyone ever consider retaking a 36R?

I'm looking at top schools, but I don't know if it's worth it to kill myself for the next month only to get a few points higher.
What was your break down?

I'm pretty sure 36 is well within range for most top programs. You'd benefit from using the extra time to boost your app, and do something that really makes you stick out among the other applicants. I wouldn't retake unless you got like a 7 or 8 in a section.

2 cents.

What was your break down?

I'm pretty sure 36 is well within range for most top programs. You'd benefit from using the extra time to boost your app, and do something that really makes you stick out among the other applicants. I wouldn't retake unless you got like a 7 or 8 in a section.

2 cents.

13PS, 12BS, 11VR

So I should probably spend the time trying to really perfect my application and personal statement instead of trying to cram in another MCAT?

Hi everyone,

I just got my score back from taking my first mcat (5-12-12 exam) and this was my outcome:

11V
8P
10B
29M

This was my first time taking it, and only had a chance to study for it for little less than a month. I went to a pretty good state school, and graduated with a 3.81GPA, majored in Microbiology and enough shadowing, etc.

I've done long term research for 2.5 years, and an summer internship at an ivy league school (although i'm not sure this really matters). I'm currently doing research at a top 20 school as well for this year

I think I will retake, but I'm also really worried, because I'm working full time, and am not sure if that stamina to study/practice again will be there...and am also a little let down.

I'm thinking of submitting my app early (as its ready now), with my retake intention indicated on the amcas. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
13PS, 12BS, 11VR

So I should probably spend the time trying to really perfect my application and personal statement instead of trying to cram in another MCAT?
Yeah, that's what I would do. Congrats.

I haven't looked at the MSAR in a long while, but I'm pretty sure that MCAT is competitive for almost any program. With the top schools, you'll need something beyond the score, amazing ECs, good essays, etc..

So by that logic, I think it would benefit you more to focus on the applications, and person statement etc..
Of course, I haven't applied yet, so you can take my advice for what it is.

Just got my score back from the 5/12/12 test date:

29S (11 VR / 9 PS / 9 BS)

I have a 4.0 sGPA and 3.99 cGPA with lots of clinical experience & shadowing (ER scribe, hospice volunteer, etc) and extracurriculars. I'm a TX resident so I'll be applying everywhere in Texas and a few schools out of state. Do you think I'm good to go with this score or do I need to retake it? It's a little low for some of the schools I was hoping to apply to, but I don't want to retake it and score even lower :/

Your score is good enough for most of the UT med schools. My friend got a 28 and was admitted to the MD/MPH program at UT San Antonio. Just apply early and you should be fine.

What do you guys think of my stats?

Overall 35O
PS 11
VR 13
BS 11

3.47 GPA at a school known for tough grading

I did take the MC sections of a practice test (admittedly one I took last year, but I didn't remember the questions at all). I haven't even touched an MCAT book or anything since last year, and I got a 37. 13 PS, 13 VR, and 11 BS.

Should I retake the test, or just leave it be? I didn't get in last year, but I'm revamping my essays and list of schools, and I've done a lot more ER volunteering since then, I'm planning on getting my EMT certification, I'm hoping to find a clinical research job, and I'm probably doing some more shadowing...

Overall 35O
PS 11
VR 13
BS 11

I did take the MC sections of a practice test (admittedly one I took last year, but I didn't remember the questions at all). I haven't even touched an MCAT book or anything since last year, and I got a 37. 13 PS, 13 VR, and 11 BS.

Should I retake the test, or just leave it be? I didn't get in last year, but I'm revamping my essays and list of schools, and I've done a lot more ER volunteering since then, I'm planning on getting my EMT certification, I'm hoping to find a clinical research job, and I'm probably doing some more shadowing...

I would not. It's a great MCAT, and even though your GPA is on the low side, your app won't get thrown out at holistic schools. You've got a good plan, and so your time would be better spent continuing on that path. I think that would be more beneficial than a few more MCAT points when your score is already so high.

Overall 35O
PS 11
VR 13
BS 11

you didnt get in anywhere with a 35??? thats a bit surprising, what was your school list like??? whats your state of residence? when did you apply?

you didnt get in anywhere with a 35??? thats a bit surprising, what was your school list like??? whats your state of residence? when did you apply?
@craftyconquerer: Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards not retaking, but I just wanted someone else's perspective. :)

@eggs13: I applied a bit late last year. Actually really late. I had some personal things going on, and time just got away from me, so I was really up until the last minute. My list was a little top-heavy, but I thought I had enough safeties. Apparently not. Ironically, I got interviews at two of my reaches and none of the safeties... MA residency.

@craftyconquerer: Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards not retaking, but I just wanted someone else's perspective. :)

@eggs13: I applied a bit late last year. Actually really late. I had some personal things going on, and time just got away from me, so I was really up until the last minute. My list was a little top-heavy, but I thought I had enough safeties. Apparently not. Ironically, I got interviews at two of my reaches and none of the safeties... MA residency.

ahh gotcha gotcha, i just sent in my application with a 35Q and c3.74 s3.7, so your post made me a tad nervous!!

best of luck this cycle!

(reposting in proper thread..sorry about that!)

I just got my score back and i received a 10P, 10V, 9B. Writing score of P. 29P overall.

I'm really disappointed because my average AAMC was a 33 and I was hoping for a higher score. I felt good after the exam too....
I did sign up for the June 21st MCAT exam (in barely two days!) and am wondering if I should even retake? Since the May exam, I have not kept up with the material as much as I should have, but since it's an afternoon time on the 21st, I may do better since I am NOT a morning person at all.

I am leaving the country on Friday to go to the philippines and will not be back until mid-August.... I can NOT change this unfortunately. I made a commitment to go there a year ago for personal/family reasons.

I am a FL resident, have a 3.7 GPA, 3 years of research, lots of shadowing/volunteering, good rec letters....basically, the MCAT is the only thing I needed to be a solid applicant for an MD school.

Do you guys think I should take the MCAT again in two days and score it? Or should I just try applying with the 29P?

I think you are my clone :eek:, except in the wrong state.

I re-took a 35Q for the same reasons you're thinking about re-taking, and just got my score back - 40T. It's possible if you're confident you can do better (like know you didn't study enough the first time), put in the work, never get a practice test anywhere near your original score (all of them should be 3 points or more above), and give yourself plenty of time (like 6 months or so). Don't do it for 1 or 2 points, they won't make a difference. It should be for a significant increase.

Never re-take a high score with only one month extra studying. That's how you end up with a lower score the second time around. My 2 cents. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Background:

- Non-traditional applicant: Bachelor of Fine Arts in 2009, working in the field for 3 years
- 24 (8PS, 8V, 8BS) on MCAT in 2010
- 28 (8PS, 10V, 10BS) on MCAT in 2011
- Great extra ECs, shadowing experience etc. etc.

- 2011 cycle applied late, and only to 3 MD schools in 2011, "small pooled" at 1, no interviews
- 2012 applied June 1, broadly to both DO and MD

Here's my question, do I take the MCAT again? I am taking it tomorrow, but don't feel confident and will most likely VOID my score. Should I reschedule for late July? I know I could get at least a 30... but that would put off my secondaries until late August. Or do I just roll with my 28, cross my fingers, and hope applying early will do the trick.

Get your primary submitted and verified. If you do it now it will take a week or so, wait until August and it will take 4-6 weeks. Most schools will send you a secondary with those scores and you can indicate on your AMCAS app that you are retesting July 6. Then schools will wait for that score.

Apply now. At least to your safety schools. You can always add schools depending on your second MCAT score.

So I took the MCAT april 28th and got a 29M:10PS, 8V, 11BS. I have already registered for the july 6th test date, and I know I can do better than a 29. My main concern is the timing of my application, should I apply within this week with a 29? Or take the mcat july 6th, get a better score, BUT have everything in by August 7th?

The rest of my application is very strong:

GPA: 3.8, sci: 3.7
Research for 2 years
Shadowed 5 Dr.s
Letters of rec. I've been told are really strong
(I do have other activities..)

Im also a NJ resident, hoping to get into one of the NJ schools.

I guess this applies to everyone with high GPA's (3.8+) and sub 30 scores, especially if you were comfortably above that range in practice. You're in the top bracket for GPA. If you can nudge your MCAT up, your chances jump up too.

Here's some data, make of it what you will: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Just got my score back from the 5/12/12 test date:

29S (11 VR / 9 PS / 9 BS)

I have a 4.0 sGPA and 3.99 cGPA with lots of clinical experience & shadowing (ER scribe, hospice volunteer, etc) and extracurriculars. I'm a TX resident so I'll be applying everywhere in Texas and a few schools out of state. Do you think I'm good to go with this score or do I need to retake it? It's a little low for some of the schools I was hoping to apply to, but I don't want to retake it and score even lower :/

Here's my question to you.

You'll probably get in somewhere, but do you think you can do better? Your gpa is excellent. If you bring that score up a few points, you'll be super competitive for more places.

If you just want to get in somewhere, then you have a good shot of TX schools no? If that's what you want, then go for it. Ain't no shame. One of the residents I work with went to a TX school. She's affiliated with Harvard med school now. It doesn't hold you back.

Last edited:
I ended up voiding today's MCAT! ....I'm leaving for the Philippines tomorrow as well (to take care of my mom so i can't be back earlier)
i'm feeling pretty bad. If i retake, i can't take it until i'm back to the states around mid-august. Too late?

I have a 3.7 gpa..and i have volunteering, research etc... I just hope this 29P won't kill my MD chances.

I ended up voiding today's MCAT! ....I'm leaving for the Philippines tomorrow as well (to take care of my mom so i can't be back earlier)
i'm feeling pretty bad. If i retake, i can't take it until i'm back to the states around mid-august. Too late?

I have a 3.7 gpa..and i have volunteering, research etc... I just hope this 29P won't kill my MD chances.

Hey, are you international? If so, I wouldn't apply if I were you. Have a friend who did that and he only got 2 interviews. But can't you take it in Philippines? There are definitely testing centers there. I should know since I actually considered taking it there last year.

VR 10
BS 10
PS 8
total: 28N
cGPA 3.7
sGPA 3.5
grad GPA 4.0

I won't have the second physics under my belt until mid August (6 week class, yikes!)
Is it worth cramming to retake once the class is over? Or should I apply with what I have?
I'm terrified of doing worse the second time, but more terrified of not getting acceptances because of a mediocre MCAT score.

10 PS/ 13 VR/ 10 BS
cGPA 3.2
sGPA 3.0

I'll be retaking a few classes this year to raise my GPA, but should I retake my MCAT? I didn't open my bio or orgo book and only casually skimmed half of the physics and gen chem books. I know if I really apply myself I'm capable of a huge score.

Lets say you take the mcat and get a hard test that played to all your weaknesses in the PS section, which left you flustered on the VR and bio... you bomb it and get 20-22 composite and retake and get 24-25 and and still not happy you retake a third time to get 26-28, you get the idea, when is enough enough where med schools will just rule you out automatically from too many tests even though you might get a 30+ on your 3rd or 4th try?

Lets say you take the mcat and get a hard test that played to all your weaknesses in the PS section, which left you flustered on the VR and bio... you bomb it and get 20-22 composite and retake and get 24-25 and and still not happy you retake a third time to get 26-28, you get the idea, when is enough enough where med schools will just rule you out automatically from too many tests even though you might get a 30+ on your 3rd or 4th try?

Taking it more than twice raises red flags. Taking it over three times is terrible.

If you have those tiny incremental changes with three testings, then schools will probably average the numbers and say that you 'deserved a 24-25' to begin with. You have to make a real change. That doesn't cut it.

Took the MCAT twice

First time - 6 PS, 8 VR, 6 BS = 20P
Second time - 6 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS = 25Q

Not sure If I should retake. I am happy I made a 5 pt jump but I actually thought I did okay in PS and messed up BS. Clearly that was not the case.

Should I retake a third time?

I just got my score from the 5/24 MCAT.

13 V
10 B
7 P
Composite: 30S

I have already submitted my AMCAS application to 19 schools. I'm a CA resident. Non-traditional applicant.
3.98 Science GPA
3.86 undergrad GPA from a top public school
3.6 grad GPA- Master's in Public Policy focusing on International Health

I have been working full time for four years in public health in a management role and have extensive travel to health clinics in the developing world, research, as well as clinical care experience.

I am looking to go to a CA state school. Any advice? Do I retake or does my GPA help offset the poor physical science performance.

Hi!

My 1st time MCAT was a 32S. With PS being my lowest as a 10. My GPA overall is a 3.5 w/ science as a 3.3. I'm from a top 10 college and I plan to apply to my state schools and other schools that I found matched my GPA range (basically no top tier ones). I am thinking about retaking the MCAT in August. What do you think my chances are? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!

My 1st time MCAT was a 32S. With PS being my lowest as a 10. My GPA overall is a 3.5 w/ science as a 3.3. I'm from a top 10 college and I plan to apply to my state schools and other schools that I found matched my GPA range (basically no top tier ones). I am thinking about retaking the MCAT in August. What do you think my chances are? Thanks!

I would say it strongly depends on what state you're in. TX okay. CA not so okay.

Also, I would imagine your GPA would hold you back more than the MCAT.

Scores:

PS: 10
Verbal: 10
Biological: 11
Total: 31Q

sGPA: 3.79
cGPA: 3.78

Should I apply? I want to go to a top 40 MD program. Three years of clinical research in a Hospital. Coming from a top 25 university. Thoughts?

Hey guys

Did my MCAT last year and got a 33N (10PS, 11BS, 12VR). Wondering if it's worth redoing... I'm registered for July 14th but I'm not sure if I should redo it just for the low WS score/to try and improve the other scores, or if I should just keep it as is for now since the WS won't matter for much longer anyways.

Hey Guys,

This is in reference to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=917031

Just thought I'd update you guys with how I did and maybe confirm the suspicions of people who have yet to take it that you really do score around your average.

I got a 34S: 13P 11V 10B.

Not the best of scores but still better than what I thought I received.

Thanks for everyone' words of encouragement!

Next question: With a 3.37 uGPA, ~3.45-3.5 sGPA and a 34S MCAT score, should I consider retaking the exam?

I'm thinking about possibly taking it next spring and judging how I feel at the end of the exam and making my decision.

EDIT: I'm currently taking some upper div science courses to get my sGPA up. Taking one atm but will be taking more in the future.

28 S ( 12 VR, 10 BS, 6 PS)

Physical sciences has got me worried I might be screened out before I even get looked at. Had a bit of a panic moment when the test started. Definitely think I could bring it up with a retake in later July...but it is worth it if I'm applying to my state MD schools and a handful of DO?

hi guys, first time post here. So I took the 5/19 mcat and got a 27N (10 PS, 9 V, 8 BS) and was really upset with my BS score. I took over 15 full length exams and not once did I score that low. I was averaging 12's on the last several AAMC full lengths.

My averages for PS and Verbal were pretty close to what I actually got.

The 5/19 test was EXTREMELY heavy on experimental bio sections, which is my weakness. But I also realize that most of the more recent exams have been like that.

I already submitted my primary applications, and am pretty happy about my PS, activities etc. My sGPA and overall GPA is about a 3.5. I wasn't planning on retaking, but its really depressing to know that my MCAT score will keep me out of most MD schools. I will apply to a few DO, but really prefer MD. I think the 8 in BS will be a HUGE red flag unfortunately.

I just don't know if retaking in august is smart time-wise. But I also think that 8 in BS was a fluke. Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

How is a 34 not the best of scores? It's already in the top 90%

Best = top 99.999 percentile, don't you know?

Tbh, for my uGPA I'm not sure whether that score would cut it. (Thanks for giving me a little confidence though!) Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the score but I feel like for someone in my situation I might have to pick up that Bio.

Others have suggested that I focus more on classes and clinical research now and I might have a decent change at getting in somewhere.

Any advice is appreciated!

Took the MCAT twice

First time - 6 PS, 8 VR, 6 BS = 20P
Second time - 6 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS = 25Q

Not sure If I should retake. I am happy I made a 5 pt jump but I actually thought I did okay in PS and messed up BS. Clearly that was not the case.

Should I retake a third time?
25 will not cut it for US MD schools. If you're looking at only DO then you've got better chances.
I just got my score from the 5/24 MCAT.

13 V
10 B
7 P
Composite: 30S

I have already submitted my AMCAS application to 19 schools. I'm a CA resident. Non-traditional applicant.
3.98 Science GPA
3.86 undergrad GPA from a top public school
3.6 grad GPA- Master's in Public Policy focusing on International Health

I have been working full time for four years in public health in a management role and have extensive travel to health clinics in the developing world, research, as well as clinical care experience.

I am looking to go to a CA state school. Any advice? Do I retake or does my GPA help offset the poor physical science performance.
In itself 30 is a decent score, but even with your good GPA Cali schools are really competitive and your chances would be much better with a 33-35+. That said, the 7 in PS looks really bad. If you really want to get in to a Cali school, I would retake. Even looking outside of Cali, you risk getting screened out with less than an 8 on PS.
Scores:

PS: 10
Verbal: 10
Biological: 11
Total: 31Q

sGPA: 3.79
cGPA: 3.78

Should I apply? I want to go to a top 40 MD program. Three years of clinical research in a Hospital. Coming from a top 25 university. Thoughts?
Your GPA is competitive for top tiers, but a 31 (although a good score) is much lower than the average for top schools. You'd have to look more closely at schools in the MSAR/USNews to see how your MCAT falls in the schools' ranges, but the average for the Top 20 is 34.98.

31 and ~3.8 would get you in somewhere, but top schools typically have higher MCAT ranges.
Hey guys

Did my MCAT last year and got a 33N (10PS, 11BS, 12VR). Wondering if it's worth redoing... I'm registered for July 14th but I'm not sure if I should redo it just for the low WS score/to try and improve the other scores, or if I should just keep it as is for now since the WS won't matter for much longer anyways.
33N is great. The WS score is irrelevant. Unless your practice average was 36 or above and you think you can go up several points, don't retake. A 33 won't be what holds you back from getting accepted somewhere.
28 S ( 12 VR, 10 BS, 6 PS)

Physical sciences has got me worried I might be screened out before I even get looked at. Had a bit of a panic moment when the test started. Definitely think I could bring it up with a retake in later July...but it is worth it if I'm applying to my state MD schools and a handful of DO?
6 in PS is really low, 28 is good for DO and may be enough for MD depending on your state schools' stats, but understand that a 6 in PS is a red flag and you'll want to check with your state MD schools as well as DO schools you want to apply to and see if they'll consider a 6.

Tbh, for my uGPA I'm not sure whether that score would cut it. (Thanks for giving me a little confidence though!) Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the score but I feel like for someone in my situation I might have to pick up that Bio.

Others have suggested that I focus more on classes and clinical research now and I might have a decent change at getting in somewhere.

Any advice is appreciated!

You can't completely compensate for your uGPA with an MCAT score. If you want to compensate, you do a post bac or take more classes.

So my breakdown was VR/PS/BS 9/12/11 and writing was a P but who cares about writing.

I know that a 32 is a perfectly OK score to get into medical school but I have a REALLY s***** GPA.

3.5 overall GPA with about a 3.3 sGPA. The thing is, my GPA fluctuates from like

Freshmen GPA: 35 units. 3.631
Sophomore GPA: 26 units 3.296, had 1 W that summer. 1 C+ in 2 unit a pre req bio lab class
Junior GPA: 24 units 3.658
Senior GPA: 44 units 3.431, took a 1 or 2 unit bio lab class for P, C+ in vertebrate evolution class 3 unit and C+ vertebrate evolution lab class 1 unit (I wish evolution wasn't part of BCPM)

Post College: 11 units. 3 units B+. 2 units took it for P (immuno class). and 6 unit health care interpreting class A.

So yeah, my GPA raises a LOT of red flags and I was hoping to do really well on the MCAT to make up for these irregularities. But I scored about average of matriculants on the BS (a 11) so I'm not too sure about anything anymore.

Should I retake?

Just got a 32Q (VR: 8 PS: 13 BS: 11)

score is pretty unbalanced, but i have a 3.99 GPA and a 4.0 science GPA, along with good clinical experience and biomedical research.

I know I can get into an MD school in the US, but I know I'm capable of 10-11 in verbal and that would make me competitive for top 20s.

should I just stick with my score and settle for something less than what I desired or retake?

P: 09 B: 09 V: 11 Total: 29S I'm a transfer student to a UC, so my UC GPA is 3.9 and my community college GPA is 3.92. I think my sGPA is also 3.9. I'm a California resident and very much hoping to go to a UC. Don't have many extracurriculars - worked in a lab as a lab assistant (1 year) then as a research assistant (3 months), was a prep lab intern at UC Berekely (3 months), and a emergency room research associate (6 months). Also tutored for a year, and planning on looking for an internship during my gap year though I know that doesn't matter much. Thoughts on retaking? If I retake then I'm going to have to apply next year.

Hi one of my friends got a 29 on the mcat and her scores were 10, 10, 9. gpa is a 3.81 or so and science gpa is a 3.7. Resident in NC. Great extracurriculars and recommendations. Should the person retake or not?

Just got a 32Q (VR: 8 PS: 13 BS: 11)

score is pretty unbalanced, but i have a 3.99 GPA and a 4.0 science GPA, along with good clinical experience and biomedical research.

I know I can get into an MD school in the US, but I know I'm capable of 10-11 in verbal and that would make me competitive for top 20s.

should I just stick with my score and settle for something less than what I desired or retake?

I think you've already answered your question; retake and get that verbal into the double digits. Even if you weren't aiming for top schools, 8 in VR doesn't look good, though it's a shame you've got a 13 in there to retake.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

P: 09 B: 09 V: 11 Total: 29S I'm a transfer student to a UC, so my UC GPA is 3.9 and my community college GPA is 3.92. I think my sGPA is also 3.9. I'm a California resident and very much hoping to go to a UC. Don't have many extracurriculars - worked in a lab as a lab assistant (1 year) then as a research assistant (3 months), was a prep lab intern at UC Berekely (3 months), and a emergency room research associate (6 months). Also tutored for a year, and planning on looking for an internship during my gap year though I know that doesn't matter much. Thoughts on retaking? If I retake then I'm going to have to apply next year.

If you want to get into a UC you've it the GPA for it, but you'll need to retake and improve a lot on your score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

CA resident, also hoping to get into a UC. Now a senior at UCSD, but applying in 2013 (gap year)

31P on MCAT (11 VR, 9 PS, 11 BS).
A bit worried about the low PS, but I've heard that the VR is more important from random threads/ other people.

3.966 GPA (both science and cumulative are basically the same). I really don't want to retake, I'd very much rather focus on having very solid ECs by the time I apply, I think my time is better invested there instead of trying to get 1 or 2 points higher. But I need some outside opinions on this.

Thanks for the help.

CA resident, also hoping to get into a UC. Now a senior at UCSD, but applying in 2013 (gap year)

31P on MCAT (11 VR, 9 PS, 11 BS).
A bit worried about the low PS, but I've heard that the VR is more important from random threads/ other people.

3.966 GPA (both science and cumulative are basically the same). I really don't want to retake, I'd very much rather focus on having very solid ECs by the time I apply, I think my time is better invested there instead of trying to get 1 or 2 points higher. But I need some outside opinions on this.

Thanks for the help.
You're in good shape for UC-Davis and UC-Irvine with a 31. Like you said, retaking isn't something you're going to be enthusiastic about and it doesn't seem like you're super confident about it either (not all "I know I can hit 38" or anything) so I would say just stick with the 31. It's a longer shot for UCSD, UCSF, and UCLA, but you've got a great GPA (way above the average at all UC's) and hopefully "very solid" EC's right? Really though, it just seems like retaking isn't something you're too open to, and especially if you didn't underperform compared to your practice test average I wouldn't retake.

I made a 35L (12 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS). I really thought my writing score would be in the average range, but I wasn't expecting to do that poorly. Will that score keep me from receiving secondary applications from some schools? I currently have a 4.0 GPA, and I'm working on improving my ECs (summer medical program, leadership positions, shadowing, etc). It might also be worth noting that I won't be applying until next cycle, so I'm assuming a lot of applicants won't even have a writing score. Will that mean mine won't even be considered?

Also, would a well written personal statement help offset my low writing score? I think my main issue with the essays was the 30 minute time limit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.