Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Just received my MCAT scores yesterday. 29 overall

PS:7 VR:11 BS:10

Applying to both DO and MD schools this rotation and wondering if my PS score totally ruins my average.

Just received my MCAT scores yesterday. 29 overall

PS:7 VR:11 BS:10

Applying to both DO and MD schools this rotation and wondering if my PS score totally ruins my average.

You definitely don't need to retake for DO schools. MD schools might be a different story though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my scores from my May 23rd exam:

29 overall

11 VR
10 BS
8 PS

My GPA is 3.45, looking mostly at DO schools. I'm on the fence about retaking it, simply because I took it with less than 10 hours of dedicated study time (I was thoroughly crispy at the end of the semester), and because I'm not sure a ton of job and volunteer hours will compensate for a middling GPA.

29 overall

11 VR
10 BS
8 PS

My GPA is 3.45, looking mostly at DO schools. I'm on the fence about retaking it, simply because I took it with less than 10 hours of dedicated study time (I was thoroughly crispy at the end of the semester), and because I'm not sure a ton of job and volunteer hours will compensate for a middling GPA.
Are you opposed to retaking? If you spent some time studying you could definitely bring up that PS score. You'd be likely to see your other scores increase as well. That would likely put you within range of mid-tier MD schools.

I got a 31 (12P 9V 10B) on my mcat. This is well in line with my average on FLs. I started taking practice mcat tests at a point where I was somewhat burned out, even though my practice scores were quite steady at around 30-32. So burnout may or may not have contributed to my low score.I have a 3.9 GPA and Im a CA resident.

Now you may say "dont retake" and all, but ill explain my situation. With my stats, I have to apply to a ton of OOS private schools that have requirements I cannot meet. For instance, many need a non-science letter of rec, which I cant obtain because 90% of my classes were science (for which i can obtain many letters) and its been 5 years since I took a non science class (im an engineer) and never really bonded with the professor of that class.

In addition, my ECs are heavily research oriented, to the tune of several publications and abstracts as well as a masters degree. My ECs fit those of research heavy institutions, but unfortunately my stats are too low for many of them. The schools I have to apply to all put emphasis on community service, of which I have very little.

And finally, as you may well know, CA schools are hard to get into. With my low mcat, i wont even get interviewed at any of them, even though my ECs should fit well with most of them (UCSD comes to mind here).

With all that I said, should I just bite the bullet and stick with this score or go at it again for a 33+?

I got a 31 (12P 9V 10B) on my mcat. This is well in line with my average on FLs. I started taking practice mcat tests at a point where I was somewhat burned out, even though my practice scores were quite steady at around 30-32. So burnout may or may not have contributed to my low score.I have a 3.9 GPA and Im a CA resident.

Now you may say "dont retake" and all, but ill explain my situation. With my stats, I have to apply to a ton of OOS private schools that have requirements I cannot meet. For instance, many need a non-science letter of rec, which I cant obtain because 90% of my classes were science (for which i can obtain many letters) and its been 5 years since I took a non science class (im an engineer) and never really bonded with the professor of that class.

In addition, my ECs are heavily research oriented, to the tune of several publications and abstracts as well as a masters degree. My ECs fit those of research heavy institutions, but unfortunately my stats are too low for many of them. The schools I have to apply to all put emphasis on community service, of which I have very little.

And finally, as you may well know, CA schools are hard to get into. With my low mcat, i wont even get interviewed at any of them, even though my ECs should fit well with most of them (UCSD comes to mind here).

With all that I said, should I just bite the bullet and stick with this score or go at it again for a 33+?

I can't speak to the nuances of being California applicant, but it seems like getting an MCAT more in line with your GPA and EC success would greatly improve your chances at the more competitive schools.

Should I retake?
AVG AAMC Practice: (12,9,11) 32 (as low as 29 and as high as 35)
Actual (10,9,11) 30

GPA:3.81
double major at a large state school, NY resident, many health related EC's and volunteer hours, executive positions in 2 large campus groups, great rec letters

Help?!

Last edited:
Total:32 (12PS/8VR/12BS)
cGPA: 3.97, BCPM 3.97
Major: electrical engineering at top 5 engineering school.
- 200 hours volunteering
- 50 shadowing
-leadership and tutoring experience
-will have 10months full time research (6/13-4/14)

really bummed about my score. is an 8 in VR going to hold me back in a lot of places? also thought i performed better on BS/PS.

considering a retake but VR has always been my biggest weakness and could never really get higher than 10 on practice exams, although my AAMC avg. was about 34. worried if i take the retake and my score drops then i'm really in trouble.

Should I retake?
AVG AAMC Practice: (12,9,11) 32 (as low as 29 and as high as 35)
Actual (10,9,11) 30

GPA:3.81
double major at a large state school, NY resident, many health related EC's and volunteer hours, executive positions in 2 large campus groups, great rec letters

Help?!

- 200 hours volunteering
- 50 shadowing

really bummed about my score. is an 8 in VR going to hold me back in a lot of places? also thought i performed better on BS/PS.

considering a retake but VR has always been my biggest weakness and could never really get higher than 10 on practice exams, although my AAMC avg. was about 34. worried if i take the retake and my score drops then i'm really in trouble.

Both of you shouldn't retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my scores from 5/30 exam

33 overall:12 PS, 7 VR, 14 BS

Overall GPA 3.87, Science GPA 3.93

Do you think I should retake? I'm scared the 7 in VR will really hurt my chances at schools

- 200 hours volunteering
- 50 shadowing

I'd say, with your GPA, you should be fine. Im in a similar boat as you (~3.9/32), but I got a 9 in VR and did not go to a top 5 school. Beef up the research and you should be good for mid to top tiers.

Typically a drop of 3 points or more from your average, a total score below 29 and/or a <7 score on a section necessitates a retake

What is your state of residency?

I'd say, with your GPA, you should be fine. Im in a similar boat as you (~3.9/32), but I got a 9 in VR and did not go to a top 5 school. Beef up the research and you should be good for mid to top tiers.

Typically a drop of 3 points or more from your average, a total score below 29 and/or a <7 score on a section necessitates a retake

What is your state of residency?

i'm in illinois. you stlil think i'd have a shot at any top tier with a 32? averages are generally around 35-36

Hi all, was wondering what you think for my situation

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2

MCAT: 33 (11/11/11)

I'm a Texas resident...not aiming for top schools at all, just a middle level one

Should I retake?

Hi all, was wondering what you think for my situation

GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.2

MCAT: 33 (11/11/11)

I'm a Texas resident...not aiming for top schools at all, just a middle level one

Should I retake?

Your MCAT is very well balanced. Don't retake.

I am worrying about your GPA, though. I wouldn't be surprised if you decide to do post bacc and rather aim for top-tier MD schools later. I am not sure how Texas medical schools will see your GPA, but for schools in other states, post-bacc will be most likely necessary.

Last edited:
VR 7
PS 12
BS 14
Composite:33

3.94 GPA and average EC's. Going for top schools.

Retake?

Do you think I should retake? I'm scared the 7 in VR will really hurt my chances at schools

This is a tough call.

Some people might disagree with retaking because it will be hard to have 12+ on science sections again. At the same time, if you know for sure you can pull off those 12+, re-taking is not a bad option either.

If I were you guys, I would apply early this cycle with what you have (mostly mid- and low-tier schools, along with maybe 2-3 top tier). And then I would study for verbal and refresh your science materials for a re-take next year if necessary.

If you study now and re-take for this cycle, your app will be completed late.

29 overall

11 VR
10 BS
8 PS

You should be fine for DO schools. I wouldn't retake if you are not interested much in MD schools.

Hey guys, just throwing another request in here.

My GPA is quite low (3.2), but I scored a 28 on the MCAT (vr 11, ps 8, bs 9). I'm a music major, and I've poorly managed the balance of music and premed classes. I generally scored around 24 on practice tests, so I'm concerned that my 28 might be a (welcome) fluke.

Should I retake, and risk scoring lower? Or would a 28 perhaps make my otherwise poor application significantly better?

I got a 26 (9ps/8vr/9bs), then a year later only 26 (8ps/8vr/10bs). I have aacomas 3.4 cgpa and 3.8 sgpa. I am only looking to apply to top osteopathic schools like pcom. Should I retake In this case, given their listed average is 28? I'm really nervous about not getting interviews, and I am not sure if my mcat is good enough. Thank you. I appreciate all your advice!

It depends on what you were averaging on VR during practice tests. If you were consistently getting 6-8 on VR...I probably wouldn't retake. However, if you were consistently getting 10+...I probably would take it ASAP and apply late or study again and take it later this semester and wait a year to apply.

So I got a 29, which I hate because it puts me at the top edge of the gray zone.

BS - 10, PS - 10, V - 9

My AAMC average was 33 and the real one definitely felt harder.
My cGPA is 3.65 and sGPA is 3.5

I'm not looking for Harvard here, state school would be A-OK with me (OR resident)

What do you guys think?

So I got a 29, which I hate because it puts me at the top edge of the gray zone.

BS - 10, PS - 10, V - 9

My AAMC average was 33 and the real one definitely felt harder.
My cGPA is 3.65 and sGPA is 3.5

I'm not looking for Harvard here, state school would be A-OK with me (OR resident)

What do you guys think?

Assuming your ECs are strong apply early and broadly you should get some love.

As an OR resident myself, it's going to be tough. OHSU's standards have become cruelly high.

What is cruelly high? Their average GPA is what mine is, although their MCAT is higher - I thought OHSU was one of those schools that bases most of the decision on intangibles?

Biology major. 29 Overall PS: 10; VR: 10; BS: 9. 3.4 GPA and 3.4 science GPA

I've applied broadly, but in-state schools aren't really an option (CA resident). I have tons of clinical experience working in a Dermatology office and a little volunteering in an ER. Also have research experience with a published abstract and I'm still working here. I've been told that I have a really good personal statement and letters of rec. I applied early (pretty much 1st day) and would prefer an MD school, but not opposed to DO. I was scoring between a 29-33 on my FL's with an average of 31. Should I retake?

Biology major. 29 Overall PS: 10; VR: 10; BS: 9. 3.4 GPA and 3.4 science GPA

I've applied broadly, but in-state schools aren't really an option (CA resident). I have tons of clinical experience working in a Dermatology office and a little volunteering in an ER. Also have research experience with a published abstract and I'm still working here. I've been told that I have a really good personal statement and letters of rec. I applied early (pretty much 1st day) and would prefer an MD school, but not opposed to DO. I was scoring between a 29-33 on my FL's with an average of 31. Should I retake?

The CA residency makes it tough, but look into all the public schools that are OOS friendly. With your MCAT, I'd definitely hit U of Kansas (their 10th-90th percentile for MCATs is like 24-31) and things along those lines. I'd say you have a great shot for your pick of DO schools though, you're about average for the best ones.

VR 7
PS 12
BS 14
Composite:33

3.94 GPA and average EC's. Going for top schools.

Retake?

A) are you the same person?

B) Neither of you should retake. Scoring a 14 again is going to be extremely difficult, and that 12 may very well drop to an 11.

Any success stories for people who have taken the MCAT twice but got lower on the second retake yet still got into mid to top tier medical schools?

should I retake?
27L
VR: 4 :(:(
PS: 12
BS: 11
I don't know what happened with my VR.
English is my second language, so I don't expect too much for VR. But I think 4 is too low.
I usually got between 6-8 in my practice tests. Any advice for retake or not??:confused::confused:

American University of Atigua does not require you to submit an MCAT score. Definitly apply there.

Hey guys, just throwing another request in here.

My GPA is quite low (3.2), but I scored a 28 on the MCAT (vr 11, ps 8, bs 9). I'm a music major, and I've poorly managed the balance of music and premed classes. I generally scored around 24 on practice tests, so I'm concerned that my 28 might be a (welcome) fluke.

Should I retake, and risk scoring lower? Or would a 28 perhaps make my otherwise poor application significantly better?

Hmmm, only retake if your are CERTAIN you will make a higher score. You may stand to benefit from a post-bac year program. There are a number of programs specifically designed for enhancing academic records and/or helping non-science majors complete pre-med requirments. Check out this screening tool, you may find something useful...

https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Good luck!

PS:10 VR:8 BS:10 (28)

cGPA: 3.8
Great EC's
I want to go to a MD school, not necessarily top tier.
My practice tests weren't good but I always felt like I missed stupid questions. This is the highest I have scored.

Any suggestions on a retake?

PS:13 VR:8 BS:14
Total: 35
GPA: 3.85
Decent ECs including heavy focus on research.

Thanks

Hey guys,

So I just got my scores back and I am pretty sad with what I got ;(. I scored a 28 overall, with my distribution being 11 in physical, 6 in verbal, and 11 in biological. I was hoping for a 30+, so the 28 is definitely disheartening. Also, the 6 in verbal makes it seem like I automatically have to retake, isn't such a poor score in this section basically a rejection from any school that sees me?

My other stats are 3.79 overall GPA, 3.81 science GPA, very good LORs, what I think are very good extracurriculars, and (also what I think) is a very good personal statement.

I took the Kaplan class, and ever since first taking practice tests I knew that verbal was my bane. I started out averaging a 6 on my first couple of practice tests, but after using ExamKrackers and taking the entire practice test library AAMC offers, I started to score 8-10 on a decent clip. Usually it was an 8 or 9, but I did hit 10 a few times and even 11 once. Also, on my sciences (on AAMC practices) I scored usually 11 or 12.

Despite all of this, I am very unhappy with my score. Even though table 25 says I have a 49% chance or something of being accepted with my MCAT score and GPA, I think that my really weird distribution and low verbal score will kill me in the end. If I retake, I think I will be able to at least maintain my high science scores, and hopefully actually score higher on the verbal. Even an 8 or 9 would suffice for me I would think.

What do you guys think? Should I retake? Do I have to retake? I already have completed the AMCAS and been verified, applied to 25 schools, some lower tier (30-32), some middle (32-34), and some upper (34-36). My in-state school is the University of Arizona, and they do have 2 campuses/separate med schools, so would I have a chance to get in there also? Any advice is REALLY appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: Also, even though realistically I think I know I have to retake, I am worried that if I start doing secondaries after the test in early September, I won't submit all of my applications until late september or early october, and this may put me behind in the application pool and decrease my chances of being accepted since I will be late to submit. Is this a reason not to retake? Or even with a 30-32 would I be much better off waiting and submitting later?

Even though I have received many secondaries, if I were to retake I would focus all of my time and effort (that I can) on getting that VERBAL BETTER! So no time for application.

Last edited:
Hi all - I have kind of a bizarre situation, and I haven't been able to figure out the answer anywhere.

So I got my scores back - 33, 12 PS/10 VR/11 BS (my GPA is fine - 3.7 undergraduate, 3.7 science, 3.84 graduate school in science). I know it's a good score - I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, except that this is a retake. My old score was a 37 (12 PS/13 VR/12 BS) and it freaking expired (it's from 2010). I didn't apply with that score because...well, because of a lot of good reasons that I will explain thoroughly in interviews, but that you don't really need to know.

Not sure what to do about this. Verbal was never a problem for me on any practice test - ranged from 11-14. I was also sick the day of the test, so odds are I could do better. (It's not really a problem now either, except that it's 3 points lower than the original score.)

On the other hand...I'm finishing my master's thesis, totally overloaded at work, and frankly, the thought of retaking that test makes me want to shoot myself. I'm not really applying for top tier schools - in fact, I'm actually really mostly interested in getting into my in-state school (U of Washington). And it's not a bad score! I just don't know how the drop will affect me, and I can't find anyone with an analogous situation. I guess most people are smarter than me and don't wait three years after getting a 37.

P.S. - my score breakdown is almost exactly the opposite of what I was predicting. Just goes to show that your feelings about the test after you take it mean absolute squat.

Hey guys! I got my MCAT scores back today. I got a score of 28. PS- 9, VR- 8 and BS- 11. I have a total GPA of 3.87 and science GPA of 3.7! I am hoping to get into MD schools. Do I have any shot? Should I retake (although I do not know if verbal can be improved)?

Hey guys! I got my MCAT scores back today. I got a score of 28. PS- 9, VR- 8 and BS- 11. I have a total GPA of 3.87 and science GPA of 3.7! I am hoping to get into MD schools. Do I have any shot? Should I retake (although I do not know if verbal can be improved)?

I would retake, you are rolling the dice with a 28

Hey guys,

So I just got my scores back and I am pretty sad with what I got ;(. I scored a 28 overall, with my distribution being 11 in physical, 6 in verbal, and 11 in biological. I was hoping for a 30+, so the 28 is definitely disheartening. Also, the 6 in verbal makes it seem like I automatically have to retake, isn't such a poor score in this section basically a rejection from any school that sees me?

My other stats are 3.79 overall GPA, 3.81 science GPA, very good LORs, what I think are very good extracurriculars, and (also what I think) is a very good personal statement.

I took the Kaplan class, and ever since first taking practice tests I knew that verbal was my bane. I started out averaging a 6 on my first couple of practice tests, but after using ExamKrackers and taking the entire practice test library AAMC offers, I started to score 8-10 on a decent clip. Usually it was an 8 or 9, but I did hit 10 a few times and even 11 once. Also, on my sciences (on AAMC practices) I scored usually 11 or 12.

Despite all of this, I am very unhappy with my score. Even though table 25 says I have a 49% chance or something of being accepted with my MCAT score and GPA, I think that my really weird distribution and low verbal score will kill me in the end. If I retake, I think I will be able to at least maintain my high science scores, and hopefully actually score higher on the verbal. Even an 8 or 9 would suffice for me I would think.

What do you guys think? Should I retake? Do I have to retake? I already have completed the AMCAS and been verified, applied to 25 schools, some lower tier (30-32), some middle (32-34), and some upper (34-36). My in-state school is the University of Arizona, and they do have 2 campuses/separate med schools, so would I have a chance to get in there also? Any advice is REALLY appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: Also, even though realistically I think I know I have to retake, I am worried that if I start doing secondaries after the test in early September, I won't submit all of my applications until late september or early october, and this may put me behind in the application pool and decrease my chances of being accepted since I will be late to submit. Is this a reason not to retake? Or even with a 30-32 would I be much better off waiting and submitting later?

Even though I have received many secondaries, if I were to retake I would focus all of my time and effort (that I can) on getting that VERBAL BETTER! So no time for application.

Probably need a retake, with a 6 in verbal especially

hi everyone

I just received my scores and I'm sure that I want to take my mcats a second time but wanted to know if I was to take it in September 2013 would it be acceptable for the 2014 admissions round? Should I take it at the end of August instead?

Do schools look at your highest score or most recent score? And are mcat cutoffs based on your entire score or each individual section (I'm asking this b/c I have an 8 in vr but 30+ overall)

submitted AMCAS already but...

3.64 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa 27S (frist time 9/7/11), 30 June 20 (12/7/11)

Should I do a THIRD TIME??? I'm really unsure what to do. How many schools screen out a 7? I'm also ORM & CA Resident.

From the WAMC Thread
A bit long, SORRY!
I just got my MCAT scores back and I'm really disappointed. I'm a retaker and I was doing well on VR (~9.5 on prac) but my scores are: 12/7/11 for 30. First time was 27 (9/7/11).

3.64 cgpa, 3.65sgpa, 30 MCAT, ORM, CA Resident (it doesn't get worst than that does it?)
Subtle Upward trend in GPA....3.94 gpa senior year. Started at 3.41 gpa freshman year.

ECs: Above-avg sorta (maybe not SDN standards)

-120 hours Clinical Experience as hospital volunteer & part-time caretaker for elderly
-450+ hours Nonmedical Community Service in poor neighborhood
-50 hours tutor at elementary school in poor neighborhood
-*1500+ hours Bench Research, 2.5 years, 1 abstract, numerous undergrad grants & awards
-200 hours Clinical Research (1 semester + summer) 3 posters
-*Private tutor, 2 years, ~150 hours (paid)
-Informal TA for Physiology (it's a mix between TA & tutor. I don't grade)
-Leadership at nonprofit organization & volunteered for 200 hours
-*Competitive national-ranked athlete (non-NCAA at my school) for a sport (not saying which) since 2004; continued throughout college, and won a few national medals & 2 championships (god knows how many hours...I put 999 x 4).
-Executive Board Leadership position of Intercollegiate Sports Club for 2 years
-Currently interning at a Real Estate company (paid)
-Will start clinical research in August during gap year.

* = most meaningful

LORS: Biology Prof (good), Physics (Really good), Social Sciences ("stellar/outstanding"), Research PI (good/above avg), and Nonprofit founder (Very good)

Personal Statement: Not amazing, but was very genuine and did the job I think. Above average at most.

AMCAS submitted 07/04/13

OK I was REALLY hoping to get 32ish on my MCAT (avg prac) but my verbal never budged. Despite tutoring, countless practice, reading A LOT, being a good writer (commended by my PI, social sciences teacher, and writing prof), and whatnot, never went above a 7. :mad:

SO MY QUESTION is what school list should I be looking at? Many schools screen for a 7 in Verbal and I'm so lost. I don't know which schools DO NOT screen a 7 in Verbal. I'm mainly looking at MD schools for now.

Thank you!

submitted AMCAS already but...

3.64 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa 27S (frist time 9/7/11), 30 June 20 (12/7/11)

Should I do a THIRD TIME??? I'm really unsure what to do. How many schools screen out a 7? I'm also ORM & CA Resident.

From the WAMC Thread

I think you have a good chance, if you apply broadly like 25-30 schools. Get your secondaries done early

I think you have a good chance, if you apply broadly like 25-30 schools. Get your secondaries done early

I have 25-30 schools listed but I'm really unsure...because a lot of schools screen for 7. I'm hoping my ECs stand out but this is killing me. I literally looked at some Verbal passages now b/c my first instinct is to retake, since I felt that this wasn't my full potential.

I had done two MCAT. First in July 2012, got a 29Q. (10PS/9VR/10BS)
Second in January 2013, I panicked after the first one and just retook without any real planning. Got a 30 (10PS/9VR/11BS).

My practice ranges in low 30 to high 30s (38). I didn't sleep before my first two test, it wasn't my intention but I just tossed and turned on the bed the whole night. Didn't help that I had panic attack on both tests too (suddenly blurred vision, difficulty concentrating, feeling like a heart attack...I slapped my face a few time during both times).

The 29 nabbed me an interview, and the 30 got me on a wait list currently. I am reapplying with considerably better app this time: got a full-time job (and promoted too within short amount of time). cGPA 3.59, sGPA 3.8, ongoing research (1 year already), clinical volunteering, non-clinicals, leadership, tutoring English.

If I am retaking, I will study from the ground up using different materials this time around. I never got to finish my AAMC stocks last time, didn't even bother with doing physics questions (self-assessment + EK). I believe I should do better this time around, but I also need some stress management. That I need to figure out.

Plan is to take Jan 2014 MCAT. I have laid out a schedule. I used Kaplan previously, but will get around BR this time plus TPR. Also, a non-native speaker.

Should I retake?

Short version
Did MCAT twice, 29Q and 30. Panic attack during both tests, but now on wait list. Practice tests are all better than my score (low 30 to high 30). I believe my nerve is ruining my chances during the exam itself.
Should I retake? --> using different materials this time of course.

wait you retook in the middle of applying? Doesn't that delay your application??

Yes I did, but I made sure to contact the school and asked first. They accepted my second score to be considered in the middle of the season. And I believe that score factored in the decision of me on the waiting list. Now the school is about to start without any news of wait list movement, thus I'm assuming a re-app. I think a stronger score will boost my chances this time, IF I improve considerably (at least a 33, the school average matriculant). Hence why I'm posting in this thread. :oops:

8 PS 12 V 8 BS (28)

About 90% sure I am going to retake. Applying this cycle but I am fairly sure I will end up having to apply next year. Anyway, let me know what y'all think.

Wasn't too shocked about PS but definitely BS...usually got a 9/10 on FLs

So i just sat for my exam a week ago and obviously don't know my scores yet, but im somewhat worried because the PS and BS were noticeably harder than the AAMC FL's and the nerves may have gotten the best of me.

im considering signing up for sept 12 test, but im curious what people think would be a better idea. obviously everything is fresh in my head now, but given that I will likely wait for my scores to see whether i am indeed gonna retake, that will only give me a little more than two weeks before the exam if i decide to indeed take it.

am i better off just waiting until they start administering the test in 2014 and have to study again (sort of), or take it again quickly while its still fresh? i really thought I was prepared and just may have gotten unlikely with it feeling that much more difficult, but at the same time, im not sure how wise it would be to take it again so soon after the first time i sat.

thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.