Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello, on my first MCAT, I made a 29 overall, with a 9 in PS, 10's in Verbal and BS. My overall GPA is a 3.88, and I have decent extracurricular activities with lots of hospital volunteer experience. As it stands right now, I am signed up to take another MCAT August 16th. Should I take my chances on this current score, or go ahead an just retake the exam?

Hello, on my first MCAT, I made a 29 overall, with a 9 in PS, 10's in Verbal and BS. My overall GPA is a 3.88, and I have decent extracurricular activities with lots of hospital volunteer experience. As it stands right now, I am signed up to take another MCAT August 16th. Should I take my chances on this current score, or go ahead an just retake the exam?

if you applied early and broadly, with decent EC's, i think you have a decent chancefor an acceptance, what state are you? what was your average on exams?

I am applying in Texas. All of my applications have been submitted for about a month or so now, although I am still working on secondaries. My average was about a 28, although this was before my MCAT. Since then, I have had more time to practice, and my verbal and biology sections consistently scored around 10 each time. PS is where I have the most difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC Scores - 30, 32, 34, 36, 35, 36 (In order)

Actual Score - 32

gpa is 3.7, URM, experience with underserved, research experience, shadowing etc, great EC's + letters, nontrad

I know its not a bad score, but just not what I wanted.. equal to my second lowest score is a bummer. Already sent in my primary application (should be verified within a week or so). Should I grab a Aug 15/16 MCAT retake?

I was hoping to have a shot at UMich in particular and I'm a few points below their 34 average.

Hi all,

I'm new to SDN and not really sure where to put this post (so please feel free to move it!) but I need some URGENT ADVICE (please help me, I'm desperate..)

I'm scheduled to take the August 15th MCAT (5 days!) and am having second thoughts. My AAMC practice tests have ranged from 28-34 with an average of 33 (Kaplan range of 32-38 and average of 36, but Kaplan is over generous) -- but I kind of expect the real test to go worse. At this point, I don't feel I can score higher than a 33.

For background, I am a junior at Harvard with a 3.5cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, average EC's ..I feel I need atleast 33+ MCAT to have chances of going to a decent med school (I plan to apply to mid-to-low tier MD schools, but am not interested in DO), but like I said, I see myself getting around a 30-32 on the MCAT right now. For me personally, the worst thing that could happen is getting stuck with this kind of middle-of-the-way-32-ish score and having to retake, but having medical schools see that I retook the test and potentially didn't improve by a lot (32 --> 35 isn't considered huge, is it?)

The ultimate question: Should I just void my test? Med schools won't see it and I can do better than a 32 whenever I decide to retake it because I'll be more ready, without anybody ever knowing.

Thanks so much in advance!

AAMC Scores - 30, 32, 34, 36, 35, 36 (In order)

Actual Score - 32

gpa is 3.7, URM, experience with underserved, research experience, shadowing etc, great EC's + letters, nontrad

I know its not a bad score, but just not what I wanted.. equal to my second lowest score is a bummer. Already sent in my primary application (should be verified within a week or so). Should I grab a Aug 15/16 MCAT retake?

I was hoping to have a shot at UMich in particular and I'm a few points below their 34 average.

I think you're fine. Are you Michigan resident? I personally know a few who got in with scores of 30. They applied super early though, and Michigan residents.

Hi all,

I'm new to SDN and not really sure where to put this post (so please feel free to move it!) but I need some URGENT ADVICE (please help me, I'm desperate..)

I'm scheduled to take the August 15th MCAT (5 days!) and am having second thoughts. My AAMC practice tests have ranged from 28-34 with an average of 33 (Kaplan range of 32-38 and average of 36, but Kaplan is over generous) -- but I kind of expect the real test to go worse. At this point, I don't feel I can score higher than a 33.

For background, I am a junior at Harvard with a 3.5cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, average EC's ..I feel I need atleast 33+ MCAT to have chances of going to a decent med school (I plan to apply to mid-to-low tier MD schools, but am not interested in DO), but like I said, I see myself getting around a 30-32 on the MCAT right now. For me personally, the worst thing that could happen is getting stuck with this kind of middle-of-the-way-32-ish score and having to retake, but having medical schools see that I retook the test and potentially didn't improve by a lot (32 --> 35 isn't considered huge, is it?)

The ultimate question: Should I just void my test? Med schools won't see it and I can do better than a 32 whenever I decide to retake it because I'll be more ready, without anybody ever knowing.

Thanks so much in advance!
If you don't feel ready to take it, don't take it. Take it when you know that you've studied as much as you can study, you're on top of your game, and you just have to get it over with, but not a minute before then.

Are you planning to apply this cycle or next? For this cycle, getting scores back in September is rather late, particularly considering your sGPA. Waiting might be the best option all around.

Hey Everyone,

Trying to decide if I need to retake with a 9 ps/6 v/ 10 bs.

sGPA for DO: 3.2 for MD: 3.25 and cGPA: 3.6. ECs include ~100 hrs volunteering in the hospital, 3 years of part time work during college, ~200 hrs shadowing, tutoring, some research, and currently volunteering in a clinic.
Obviously my concern is the 6 in verbal. I'm going for DO and think I will apply this cycle. Question is, should I plan a retake in the future? If I don't get in, I definitely will, but who knows when I will know for sure if I'm rejected/accepted. If I plan on retaking, then I'm guessing I need to start now with verbal. What do y'all think?

Hi, I recently took the MCAT and received a 35 (13 PS/ 11 Verbal/ 11 Bio) but since I am looking to get into the top 5 med schools I realize this is below their average of 36-37 on the MCAT. In addition, I am below their median GPA which is usually between 3.8-3.9 because I have a 3.7 currently with a very rigorous course schedule.

Do you think I should retake the MCAT? I am looking to take either a Princeton Review or Kaplan course this time around because I just bought some books and studied myself for the first time around.

What was your AAMC practice exam average?

In addition, do you think different exams dates have easier or harder curves? I took mine in August and I heard lots of people take it then so the curve might have been a little harder.

No, no test dates are "harder" or "easier" than others; raw scores are scaled to mediate differences between exam form difficulties.

I was a little dissapointed with my 35 score. I felt like would have gotten 13 or 14 in both the physical and biological sciences. The verbal score matches what I thought I would receive.

Unfortunately, what you "think" you should score after taking the test is entirely irrelevant. Post-test predictions are useless for a great number of reasons.

Ideally, I would like to get into the 40+ range. Anyone who scored in that range, have any tips or study strategies to get there?
Again, we need to know what your AAMC average was going into the exam to know how far you were from "likely" scoring 40+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I took the MCAT this summer (8/3) and scored a 34 (11 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS). It's a little lower than I was getting on my practice exams (usually those were around 35-36) and I was a bit disappointed not to score higher, but I'm not sure if it's worth retaking or not (I'm applying next cycle). My cGPA is 3.85, sGPA a little lower (3.75-3.8), and I have pretty good ECs--3+ years bench research, president of student org, phlebotomist, TA, etc. I want to have a shot at top 20 schools, but I also don't want to spend another few months studying for this test if I don't have to.... :)
Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask the entire SDN forums opinion on what they suggest I do with my exam that I'm scheduled to take on the 11th (next week). I went into preparation for this exam at the beginning of summer with hopes of scoring a 30 as my goal. My AAMC FL's have had the following scores as I've progressed through the course of the summer: 23(before class had even begun), 26, 24, 27, 25, 26, 29. I do not have any problems with DO school as a last resort and I should have an approximate GPA of 3.6-3.7 when applying. I'm not set to apply for medical school until june of next year so I have plenty of time to take the exam a second time. One of my biggest issues with exams in general is the factor of anxiety and I feel that I have a shot at my goal this time around and even if i DONT score the 30 I can have the FULL experience of the process for the sake of learning how to mitigate the stress for a future attempt. Any and all opinions are much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Hey all,

Got a 31Q (11 PS, 11 V, 9 BS) on my first MCAT (June 2012). Already sent out all my secondaries to med schools (on the earlier side; sent all out by early August).

The killer is my undergrad GPA. Went to a top 20 school, but just didn't care about school until Junior year or so.
2.9 sGPA, 3.6 regular GPA, 3.2 cGPA.

Did 22 credits of Master's in basic medical sciences, with graduate science GPA of 3.65.

Should I retake my MCAT to update schools and show I have what it takes?

Hey all,

Got a 31Q (11 PS, 11 V, 9 BS) on my first MCAT (June 2012). Already sent out all my secondaries to med schools (on the earlier side; sent all out by early August).

The killer is my undergrad GPA. Went to a top 20 school, but just didn't care about school until Junior year or so.

Did 22 credits of Master's in basic medical sciences, with graduate science GPA of 3.65.

Are you my twin?! Jk. We have almost the exact GPA but I've made a 30 twice. 10 PS/10 VR/10 BS, 9 PS/11 VR/10 BS second time. I already sent out all of my secondaries. UGH. Should I retake? I was so rushed the first time with trying to send my primary out at the same time that I didn't study at all for about three weeks when I was gaining momentum. Very dumb of me.

Hey all,

Are you taking the DO route.....as your undergrad GPA as it is, it may be very challenged for MD route with MCAT 31Q. DO, as I see it, is a mixed bag. I wish your sGPA is above 3.0......and for DO, 31Q is great.

Should you re-take? Well, I don't know as I am not you. It all comes down to your study habit and HOW BAD do you want to kill this beast. 31 to re-take has high risk if you don't push like hell the following time.

In my own 2 cents opinion, I will gamble to re-take ONLY under the condition that I will study "smart" my axx off for the coming test with the attitude of "leave no prison".

Last edited:
I'm not applying till next cycle (taking a gap year) so was wondering if I should retake?
Looking to apply to instate MD schools, I'm a MI resident studying at UofM (stats as of now):
MCAT: 29 (9P,10V,10B)
AAMC avg: 31
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.65
Lots of hours of research spread across 4 different research labs, two of which are clinical (total: 1500 hours).
Several hundred hours of clinical research (500 hours) and clinical volunteering experience (200 hours) working with both pediatric, geriatric (veterans), and adult populations in neurology and psychiatry.
Strong Personal Statement and 5 Strong LORs
100+ hours of shadowing: 75 hours at GP/Psychiatry office and several other short shadowing experiences

I'm a little disappointed with the 29, as I was hoping for a 31. I probably wouldn't be able to score much higher if I retook so I'm leaning towards not retaking it, but I'm not sure as everything is so competitive these days.

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Thank You

took the august 9th
PS 8 (ouch) VR 10 BS 11
I was right on my avg with VR and BS, but my PS avg had been a 10, which is why I am upset.
I am only a junior now, so I have a lot of time to retake.
3.80cGPA
probably a 3.75s not exactly sure though
Did some shadowing, have a lot a research, currently in the process of getting a job at a general practitioners office where I will be doing 12hrs/week clerical/charting stuff, and 2-4hours shadowing. I am likely going to get the job which I think will be huge because the GP is VERY well connected and has expressed to me that she can get me great shadowing ops at a major local hospital.

Anyway, I want to go to a SUNY, I'm from long island so my top choices had been Stony brook and and Downstate. However, they both have 32MCAT avg. Am I totally out of the running with a 29?

i'm frightened of doing worse on a retake. I could potentially re-take this winter.

My decision hinges on if people can get accepted into SB or downstate with a 29... any info would be appreciated!

No beating around the bush. Got a 10/7/12. Should I even bother retaking or applying this year? Was planning on applying to Ontario but don't think that is very likely.

No beating around the bush. Got a 10/7/12. Should I even bother retaking or applying this year? Was planning on applying to Ontario but don't think that is very likely.

1) This is Sept
2) VR 7
3) Canada

For Canada, odd is against you big time.

If you have already turned in all your application and are applied in US...then
a) 29 is good for DO
b) 29 is borderline for MD as many screen out VR 7.

Yeah, re-take...if I am in your shoes. I will oo it in March 2014 the earliest. VR takes long time to improve.

took the august 9th
PS 8 (ouch) VR 10 BS 11
I was right on my avg with VR and BS, but my PS avg had been a 10, which is why I am upset.
I am only a junior now, so I have a lot of time to retake.
3.80cGPA
probably a 3.75s not exactly sure though
Did some shadowing, have a lot a research, currently in the process of getting a job at a general practitioners office where I will be doing 12hrs/week clerical/charting stuff, and 2-4hours shadowing. I am likely going to get the job which I think will be huge because the GP is VERY well connected and has expressed to me that she can get me great shadowing ops at a major local hospital.

Anyway, I want to go to a SUNY, I'm from long island so my top choices had been Stony brook and and Downstate. However, they both have 32MCAT avg. Am I totally out of the running with a 29?

i'm frightened of doing worse on a retake. I could potentially re-take this winter.

My decision hinges on if people can get accepted into SB or downstate with a 29... any info would be appreciated!

SB maybe; don't know too much about it. It's gotten more competitive over the years.

Downstate will be tough. Cousin with 3.85/31 from CUNY Honors didn't even get an II, though her ECs were lacking a bit. (Also rejected from SB after II.) But Downstate has a rep of being very snobby with the numbers game. Lotta IS residents from OOS private schoolers are filling up the spots from my time there; the median MCAT is actually a 34, I believe.

Look into SUNY Upstate. It's bottom of the food chain for SUNY, but if you want to stay in-state without a retake, that seems a bit more likely with a 29. Said cousin got in with small merit money, but was accepted off the WL a private school and jumped shop lol

SB maybe; don't know too much about it. It's gotten more competitive over the years.

Downstate will be tough. Cousin with 3.85/31 from CUNY Honors didn't even get an II, though her ECs were lacking a bit. (Also rejected from SB after II.) But Downstate has a rep of being very snobby with the numbers game. Lotta IS residents from OOS private schoolers are filling up the spots from my time there; the median MCAT is actually a 34, I believe.

Look into SUNY Upstate. It's bottom of the food chain for SUNY, but if you want to stay in-state without a retake, that seems a bit more likely with a 29. Said cousin got in with small merit money, but was accepted off the WL a private school and jumped shop lol

Hmm, thanks for the info. Gives me a lot to think about. Forgot to mention my uncle has a thriving invitro fertilization clinic on LI and was an Adcom at stonybrook for a while. I am planning to shadow him a lot this winter and he said hell write me an excellent LOR. So I think because of him I might be able to get an interview with stony brook, and I have excellent interpersonal skills. So I could potentially woe them with a good interview. I do have time for a re-take this winter. My AAMC avg was 31-32 so I def have it in me. My absolute LOWEST score on a practice test was a 29.
Just kind of wondering if I will be able to get in without a re-take

Hmm, thanks for the info. Gives me a lot to think about. Forgot to mention my uncle has a thriving invitro fertilization clinic on LI and was an Adcom at stonybrook for a while. I am planning to shadow him a lot this winter and he said hell write me an excellent LOR. So I think because of him I might be able to get an interview with stony brook, and I have excellent interpersonal skills. So I could potentially woe them with a good interview. I do have time for a re-take this winter. My AAMC avg was 31-32 so I def have it in me. My absolute LOWEST score on a practice test was a 29.
Just kind of wondering if I will be able to get in without a re-take

Be careful of getting a "pity interview," though. That means nothing.

29 MCAT is risky for Stony. I know that for a fact.

I just got my score back yesterday for the August 9th MCAT. I ended up scoring a 30(10PS/8VR:scared:/12BS). Right now, I'm looking to apply to low-mid tier MD schools and DO schools next cycle. I know this score is competitive at DO schools, but I would rather go for MD. Is this still a competitive score for low-mid tier MD schools or should I consider retaking? My AAMC average was 32 with average VR of 9. My cGPA is 3.65 and sGPA is 3.56. I also have about 600 hours working as a volunteer EMT, 100+ hours of hospital volunteering, and was a TA for 1 year for microbiology and organic lab.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

That GPA/MCAT combo is extremely borderline for MD, and that's a bit on the optimistic side. However, since you're ±2 within your AAMC average, it looks like nothing went terribly wrong on test day. Strictly on that note, a retake isn't recommended per the usual SDN logic.

A sure retake for a higher score would require you to do something really different, and that's where I run out of ideas.

That GPA/MCAT combo is extremely borderline for MD, and that's a bit on the optimistic side. However, since you're ±2 within your AAMC average, it looks like nothing went terribly wrong on test day. Strictly on that note, a retake isn't recommended per the usual SDN logic.

A sure retake for a higher score would require you to do something really different, and that's where I run out of ideas.

Thanks. I really do appreciate your honest critique of my stats. Since you're saying I'm borderline, I'm assuming that means I do at least have a chance at an MD acceptance with these stats. I'm guessing it would be best to apply to like 20 MD schools and like 10 or so DO schools to be on the safe side.

Got my Aug 9 scores back and was rather disappointed. I know my scores aren't bad, so please don't hate me (I'm not trolling). I got a 10 PS/ 11 VR/ 14 B = 35. I was disappointed because my AAMC average was 37.9 (AAMC 9-11 was 39.3), with VR average being 13.5. I had never gotten anything below a 36, so I was really surprised.

I'm a junior at HYPMS, with a 4.0. As far as ECs, I'm president of two groups, involved in varsity sports, and have 4+ years of research experience (from high school, including one publication). I'm aiming for MSTPs, ideally top 10.

Before you say the go to "why would you retake a 35" please seriously take into consideration my AAMC averages and the programs I'm aiming for. Thanks.

Got my Aug 9 scores back and was rather disappointed. I know my scores aren't bad, so please don't hate me (I'm not trolling). I got a 10 PS/ 11 VR/ 14 B = 35. I was disappointed because my AAMC average was 37.9 (AAMC 9-11 was 39.3), with VR average being 13.5. I had never gotten anything below a 36, so I was really surprised.

I'm a junior at HYPMS, with a 4.0. As far as ECs, I'm president of two groups, involved in varsity sports, and have 4+ years of research experience (from high school, including one publication). I'm aiming for MSTPs, ideally top 10.

Before you say the go to "why would you retake a 35" please seriously take into consideration my AAMC averages and the programs I'm aiming for. Thanks.

It's still a gamble because luck plays more of a part than anything else at that score range.

Yeah, my range was 36-40 so I guess that is a rather large range.

I was really upset about the PS score, because the lowest I had ever gotten was a 13 (VR 10-13, B 11-14), so the 10 was a big shock.

I'm planning on retaking, I just want to double check that I'm not being crazy or irrational.

Yeah, my range was 36-40 so I guess that is a rather large range.

I was really upset about the PS score, because the lowest I had ever gotten was a 13 (VR 10-13, B 11-14), so the 10 was a big shock.

I'm planning on retaking, I just want to double check that I'm not being crazy or irrational.

It is a gamble either way and if you do not get ≥38, it will not be seen in a positive light.

1) This is Sept
2) VR 7
3) Canada

For Canada, odd is against you big time.

If you have already turned in all your application and are applied in US...then
a) 29 is good for DO
b) 29 is borderline for MD as many screen out VR 7.

Yeah, re-take...if I am in your shoes. I will oo it in March 2014 the earliest. VR takes long time to improve.

VR doesn't even seem to ever get better. I scored a 9 last year, seems just a problem of keeping focus more than anything.

MCAT: 30 (8/9/13)
AAMC Average: 33.9 (11.6/10.6/11.7)

cGPA: 3.8+
sGPA: 3.7+
Double major, two minors

Reseach (poster, no pub), Good ECs, Good LORs
*international applicant

I've already applied this cycle (only one school), not sure if I'll get it. In terms of potential, I got 33.9 average with little content review. I feel like with appropriate practice I can definitely hit 36+. Should I go ahead and finish secondary for this cycle to that one school? In the mean while, start a 4-month study schedule to take MCAT in January?

Were you planning on only applying to one school total this cycle? With a ~34 average with little content review I definitely agree you could improve a lot, but the question is when you have the time to study for a retake and if you're comfortable applying next cycle.

Were you planning on only applying to one school total this cycle? With a ~34 average with little content review I definitely agree you could improve a lot, but the question is when you have the time to study for a retake and if you're comfortable applying next cycle.

REDACT

Last edited:
hey all,

i just got my MCAT score today and it wasn't pretty :(
MCAT 31 (12PS, 10V, 9BS)

now i know that people say not to retake if over 30 and it's somewhat balanced, but im a bio major at HYP looking to attend a UC/top 30 school. my GPA is also pretty low (3.5), so i'm really hoping to do a lot better on my retake. i was averaging 34-35 on my AAMC's, with bio being my best section. what score should i be shooting for if i want to be competitive for the mid/top-tier schools? and what kind of breakdown?

First MCAT: 23 (studied during school, self study)
Second MCAT: 25 (hired private tutor, studied for solid 2 months, no school, some work)<-- received score today

My AMCAS is already verified this cycle and based on my first score I have already been invited to submit secondaries. My GPA is at least 3.7, have 1.5 years of research and plenty of extracurriculars.

Schools applied to:

UIC
SIU
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Indiana University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland University
University of Wisconsin-Madison

My practice exam (AAMC, Kaplan) scores were 28-33, so I was rather surprised at my dismal performance... :(

hey all,

i just got my MCAT score today and it wasn't pretty :(
MCAT 31 (12PS, 10V, 9BS)

now i know that people say not to retake if over 30 and it's somewhat balanced, but im a bio major at HYP looking to attend a UC/top 30 school. my GPA is also pretty low (3.5), so i'm really hoping to do a lot better on my retake. i was averaging 34-35 on my AAMC's, with bio being my best section. what score should i be shooting for if i want to be competitive for the mid/top-tier schools? and what kind of breakdown?

From one HYPer to another, 3.5 is considered pretty low at HYP, even by regular standards (unless you're at Princeton, in which case you'd know how that comes across). With a 31, top-tiers are definitely out of reach. Hell, that's still at/below average at most mid-tier schools.

If you're serious about those aspirations and have good reasons for doing so (i.e., vanity issues after attending an Ivy does not count as a good reason), you need to both get that GPA up and aim for as high as you can on the MCAT. There's no upper limit for an MCAT score. Otherwise, lower your standards. True facts.

Though scoring 3-4 points below your AAMC average is enough to justify a retake since you obviously didn't hit your potential. But you need to honestly evaluate why that happened.

Surprised there wasn't a huge influx of posts after today's score release... Regardless, hopefully you all can help me make a hard decision.

MCAT: 11 PS, 11 V, 10 BS (32 total)
AAMC Average: ~12 PS, ~11 V, ~13 BS. Don't have an exact number because my Kaplan course ended and won't let me go back to look at my scores, but I remember for the last 4 tests (AAMC 8-11), I was hovering between a 35-37.

sGPA: ~3.9
cGPA: 3.94

I go to a pretty big, non-noteworthy state school, so while my GPA is on the higher end, I don't think it's going to have much pull over my mediocre MCAT. Decent ECs, will have 3 years of research by the time I graduate, and I'm a VERY ORM (Asian female, rough life). I'm not interested in any top tier schools, but I was aiming for schools like U Washington (I'm OOS :/), Boston University, USC, UNC, maybe Vanderbilt...

Also, I'm planning on applying next cycle, so I have time for a retake. Thoughts/advice?

I got a 29 (PS 9, BS 10, VR 10), and I have a GPA of 4.2 on a 4.3 scale (which might change after I finish my master's degree in music). I prepared for about 1.5 months, read through the Kaplan books twice and did 2-3 practice tests. Should I retake it? (from Canada)

Last edited:
I got a 35 - 14 Bio, 13 PS and 8 Verbal. I did OK in verbal and was expecting at least a 12 or 11. I am an incoming junior and will apply next year. so far I have a GPA of 3,95. Should I retake the MCAT test? I want to get into one of the top 20 Med schools. appreciate feedback.

Surprised there wasn't a huge influx of posts after today's score release... Regardless, hopefully you all can help me make a hard decision.

MCAT: 11 PS, 11 V, 10 BS (32 total)
AAMC Average: ~12 PS, ~11 V, ~13 BS. Don't have an exact number because my Kaplan course ended and won't let me go back to look at my scores, but I remember for the last 4 tests (AAMC 8-11), I was hovering between a 35-37.

sGPA: ~3.9
cGPA: 3.94

I go to a pretty big, non-noteworthy state school, so while my GPA is on the higher end, I don't think it's going to have much pull over my mediocre MCAT. Decent ECs, will have 3 years of research by the time I graduate, and I'm a VERY ORM (Asian female, rough life). I'm not interested in any top tier schools, but I was aiming for schools like U Washington (I'm OOS :/), Boston University, USC, UNC, maybe Vanderbilt...

Also, I'm planning on applying next cycle, so I have time for a retake. Thoughts/advice?

That kind of drop from the average may justify a retake alone without even considering other factors in your application. But thought needs to be put carefully into why that drop happened.

That kind of drop from the average may justify a retake alone without even considering other factors in your application. But thought needs to be put carefully into why that drop happened.

That is an excellent question, and it's one I've been puzzled about myself. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Hi guys I would really appreciate some insight.

Actual MCAT: 32 (11PS 10VR 11BS)
AAMC Practice Avg: 34.5 (Range 32-36)

My GPA is a bit of a story. Before I became passionate about medicine I was considering dropping out of college. At this point I did not care much about my grades. So for my first two years of college my GPA was something like 2.7 ish. However, for the past 6 semesters (about 90 credit hours) I have maintained a 4.0 and thats with lots of UD science classes. So by the time I apply next June my cGPA will be about 3.67 and my sGPA about 3.69.

I have pretty strong research both clinical and bench for 2 years. Includes independent study credit and a research grant award.

~50 hours shadowing
~100 hours clinical experience
~ 100 hours nonclinical volunteer

Also taking a CNA class at the moment to hopefully get some more clinical experience in the spring to help boost my numbers before I apply.

....So what do you guys think, to retake or not to retake?

I'd keep it unless you're planning on applying at only top schools

Status
Not open for further replies.