Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I am scheduled to retake my 26 (8 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS) on March 22nd. However, I am having trouble concentrate on my studying.

I just want to get into any DO program, and my GPA is a 3.5 cumulative and just under 3.3 science.

Should I go with the retake (I want 28+) or just call it a day?

I am scheduled to retake my 26 (8 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS) on March 22nd. However, I am having trouble concentrate on my studying.

I just want to get into any DO program, and my GPA is a 3.5 cumulative and just under 3.3 science.

Should I go with the retake (I want 28+) or just call it a day?
Retake it, definitely! I retook it and got in =-)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this question might be annoying to some and I'm sorry about that, I really am but please try to hold back the vitriol as I'm asking this very sincerely:

I took the test Jan 25 and received the following scores:
10 PS
12 VR
14 BS
For a total of 36 which is a solid score and one I would normally be very happy with. However the PS sciences section is around one point below the average admit score for med school matriculants in CA, where I'm from and plan to apply in. I have a 3.9 cumulative and (4.00 science) GPA and fair EC's so I would like to apply to a few of the upper tier schools and I just don't want to that 10 to hold me back. It's worth noting that on the practice tests I rarely scored below a 13 on either my PS or VR sections but never above an 11 on my BS. I spent the last week cramming for BS and I think it negatively affected my performance in the former categories (or, and this is a small thing really, I forgot to take my Claratin before sitting down to do the PS and had to take it on my break between PS/VR which could have affected my score I suppose). I actually like physics, gen chem, and the interesting passages in the VR and I think if I retook after studying seriously for 1-2 months it wouldn't be a stretch for me to go up 2 points in the PS, and maybe 1 in the VR. HOWEVER: I know, without a doubt in my heart of hearts, that my BS score will go down. Not terribly down, perhaps to a 12. I find the kind of memorization required for this section tedious and I think it's a damn fluke that I ever got that high of a score at all. It literally mystifies me. I know it looks very bad if your overall score goes down on a second attempt but does anyone know how a drop in one section and rise in others will be perceived? If I hadn't gotten that anomalously high score in BS section I would retake in a second, but I don't know whether demonstrating that I actually can do PS quite well is worth the high BS scores being revealed for the fluke it was. Can anyone tell me more about how to weigh the relative merits of taking it again and whether that 10 will really come back to haunt me?

Epoxidationvacation, I definitely understand your dilemma. I scored a 31 (11/9/11) on my MCAT (Jan 25 too) and while I was averaging only 26, I felt like I could have done a lot better on the exam, and fear that retaking is a mistake and would reveal my fluke score. I was averaging 9s on PS, 7-9 on VR, and 11s on BS (although my practice test conditions were a lot worse). I think retaking for you though is a mistake. Even with a low score in your best subject, you're still above average for - what I have read- all top tier schools. You should spend the time that you would have spent studying for a retake on ECs to round out your amazing 36. I wish I were in your shoes (and people probably wish they were in mine).

MCAT: 11V/10B/8P
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Currently in post-bacc and doing well
Extracurricular: clinical research, ER volunteer, scribe volunteer, international health club volunteer, tutoring

I'd really like to apply to MD schools and I think that retaking the MCAT would let me have a better chance, but I can't think of any way that I would study differently the second time around (insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results right?). Any input would be greatly appreciated -- I'm really passionate and dedicated to this, and I don't want to call it quits yet!

For those of you who are so set on MD, realize there are top DO schools better than some MD in terms of education, etc. our school had people match at Hopkins, Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, etc etc, in anesthesiology, ER, PM&R, radiology, etc. now there will be a unified match for residency too. Our school has much more of a family atmosphere than our in state allo schools, our stats are equal and we get more apps than they do.

First MCAT: 8VR/12B/8PS
Second MCAT: 8VR/10B/10PS

Overall GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.6
Extracurricular: 1 Year Research, ER Volunteer, and Physician Shadowing

I would really like to go to an MD school, preferably in NY or the Northeast. Should I take the MCAT again? I would appreciate any input, thanks

Took the MCAT 5/30/2013 or something like that and recieved a 11VR/9BS/10PS. I have graduated college with a 3.83 cGPA and a 3.77 sGPA with a degree in general biology. I can't decide if I should retake the test. A 30 is a decent score but at the time I had just come out of a semester from hades and didn't devote too much time to studying (at least I got my orgo2 A, right?). I definitely feel like I could do better if I really went to town studying. My BS section was loaded with biochem which I didn't even take until after the test (ironically enough I took biochem over the summer semester, which started the Monday after I took my Thursday exam). I gambled on it and I think I came out the worse for it. I'm from GA and am wanting to go to MCG and am still waiting on a reply but I have a feeling I will be rejected. I have loads of shadowing and have gotten hands-on experience in the OR multiple times, primary care shadowing, a good bit of volunteering at a free clinic, Phi Kappa Phi, Alpha Lambda Delta, was an officer in my social fraternity, however I have NO research experience.
Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for all of your feedback! I really appreciate it.

So, I took the 1/23 MCAT exam and scored a 29 ( PS 9, V7, BS13 )
My PS score was actually about 2 pts lower than my average, Verbal was what I was consistently getting, and BS score was the highest I've ever gotten (practice AAMC exams I was scoring 10/11). The night before the exam I was pretty nervous, I got only about an hour of sleep. The morning of, I actually threw up...:( All of which might have ruined my PS score-but who knows!

cGPA: 3.76 sGPA:3.72 (attended UC Irvine)
Graduated with latin honors and honors in Biological Sciences
Clinical research associate in Emergency Medicine- 2.5 years
Chemical education research- 2 years
Employed tutor by my university- 3 years
Coordinator for department tutoring for Ochem- 1.5 years
Clinical care extender internship (volunteering)- 3 years
CampMed counselor- 1 year
5 strong LORs already written

I plan on applying to both DO and MD programs. I would be incredibly happy attending a DO program because I truly believe in the holistic approach to helping people; however, I am afraid that I am limiting my options for residencies. After looking through MSAR, many of the MD programs require at least 8 or above on verbal. So, I'm pretty certain that I will have to retake if I am serious about getting into an MD program. But for DOs, specifically WesternU, will my stats be competitive...even with a 7 on verbal?

I do understand that I will need to approach the exam differently if I want to score higher, but this time I won't exactly have all the time in the world to study. The first time I studied for the MCAT, I only studied-nothing else, which probably caused me to burn out towards the end. I studied from Sept-Jan. While I was taking the AAMC practice exams, I actually started off with 30s and 31s but towards the end I started slipping to 27s and 28s-which is an interesting trend...you would think it would increase with practice! Again, nerves are a huge factor for me.

I signed up for the June 5, 2014 exam and will be applying this 2014 cycle. I realize that I will have a lot on my plate...re-studying for the exam, completing the application process, and I recently got hired by UCSF as a clinical research coordinator (a full time job). It does seem like a lot to take on for the next 3 months+, but I've noticed during undergrad when I took a harder class load with multiple ECs I did much better overall than with an extremely easy class load. I guess when you have so much on your plate, you learn to manage your time more efficiently??? ORR should I just not retake--and try my luck with my 29 MCAT score, GPA, and ECs?!

Thank you!

Of what I am hearing from friends in other medical schools, it sounds like those getting in with a below 30 MCAT are ones that have some strong mitigating circumstances/ have some incredible/ unique experiences that make up for the score. I think I'd go again, but if its not going to be make or break you if you don't get in this year, than wait until next.

So I applied quite late and am getting rejected straight out from the DO schools I applied to. However I was accepted into a post-bacc program at LECOM. I currently have a 3.4 gpa and my MCAT is a 25M 9VR 8PS 8BS. If I maintain a 3.0 in the program and I already have above the 23 to get an interview, should I retake the MCAT anyway? Just in case I want to apply for other programs? Or would you say doing well in the program with a 25 MCAT will be good enough? I am quite stuck on whether to retake or not

Members don't see this ad :)
So I applied quite late and am getting rejected straight out from the DO schools I applied to. However I was accepted into a post-bacc program at LECOM. I currently have a 3.4 gpa and my MCAT is a 25M 9VR 8PS 8BS. If I maintain a 3.0 in the program and I already have above the 23 to get an interview, should I retake the MCAT anyway? Just in case I want to apply for other programs? Or would you say doing well in the program with a 25 MCAT will be good enough? I am quite stuck on whether to retake or not

How late did you apply? A 3.4 and 25 should get some interviews from DO, to my knowledge.

I'm a chemistry major who took the MCAT in 2013 and got a 29; PS 10, BS 10, VR 9. I also have a borderline science gap of 3.5. I applied this last cycle, didn't get in……I think it was mostly because I took it in late July so my application was late (august for primary). Should I reapply this year with the same score earlier or should I retake the MCAT?

I'm a chemistry major who took the MCAT in 2013 and got a 29; PS 10, BS 10, VR 9. I also have a borderline science gap of 3.5. I applied this last cycle, didn't get in……I think it was mostly because I took it in late July so my application was late (august for primary). Should I reapply this year with the same score earlier or should I retake the MCAT?

applying late is definitely a factor, but a combo of 3.5 sGPA and 29 MCAT is also a bit on the lower side. how confident are you about raising your MCAT to a 33+? for a chemistry major, it really shouldn't be that hard.

I took the MCAT last year and got a 30. A little lower than my practices, but at the 30+ mark that I was shooting for. Breakdown was PS 8 (unlike most pre-meds, I rocked at orgo, with physics being my weakness), BS 10, and VR 12 (?!?! but in the happy way.) With my current 3.6 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, I am aware that I'm pretty average stats-wise and even little on the lower side, and an MCAT boost could help me out. However, with that nice 12 in VR, I'm wary of retaking and that score dropping. I am currently a senior, having planned to apply this year and take a gap year, and I would be okay with trying to squeeze in a summer MCAT date during June or at the latest early to mid-July. Thoughts?

I took the MCAT last year and got a 30. A little lower than my practices, but at the 30+ mark that I was shooting for. Breakdown was PS 8 (unlike most pre-meds, I rocked at orgo, with physics being my weakness), BS 10, and VR 12 (?!?! but in the happy way.) With my current 3.6 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, I am aware that I'm pretty average stats-wise and even little on the lower side, and an MCAT boost could help me out. However, with that nice 12 in VR, I'm wary of retaking and that score dropping. I am currently a senior, having planned to apply this year and take a gap year, and I would be okay with trying to squeeze in a summer MCAT date during June or at the latest early to mid-July. Thoughts?
When people retake the MCAT their scores tend to flip-flop, so scoring lower in VR would be ok. However, your lowest score is an 8 which I was told by advisors is a good minimum. It's also in PS which matters the least. If you scored a 7 I'd say retaking might make sense, but I think you'd be better off not retaking and just raising your sGPA and gaining more clinical experience and/or shadowing.

This is scaring me a bit. I'm a senior majoring in Biochemistry who has similar statistics. My MCAT distribution was the same as yours (29 total, 10 in the sciences, 9 in VR). My overall GPA is 3.67 and my Science is around 3.5 . I'm studying for the MCAT again with the hopes of getting to at least a 31. I am also an Asian male which puts me in the ORM category.

How many schools did you apply to? How many interviews did you receive? I am planning on re-taking the MCAT in late May and having my application submitted in mid June. Schools will receive my second MCAT score a couple weeks later, meaning my entire application will be complete the final week of June. I will be applying to a broad range of M.D. schools, including a couple legitimate ones in the Caribbean. I'm open to D.O. but I'd really prefer to go the M.D. route.

What are everybody's thoughts on my situation? My ECs are strong in my opinion, but this 29 MCAT score has made me extremely worried. I'm very stressed out and nervous because of it.

I have a 3.63 cGPA and about 3.55 sGPA. My MCAT was PS:8,V:9,BS:10.
I got two interviews and am wait-listed at those schools.

I feel that I will need at least 3 solid months of studying to improve my MCAT score. That means I will have to take MCAT some time this July. If I submit my primary AMCAS application as soon as it opens (early June), will I be in good shape considering that my new MCAT scores won't be available until August? Or will taking MCAT in July be too late and put me behind in the cycle. I am worried because I do not want to rush in to taking MCAT because I know that I need more time to study for it, but I also don't want to apply too late in the cycle. For the 2013-14 cycle I submitted my primary app with MCAT scores at the end of July and got verified in September. I'm hoping that If I submit my primary application in early June this time, then it will be verified much earlier. The only thing that is a problem is that my MCAT scores will become available in August. How much of a problem do you think that is, and do you think that it is wise for me to retake it?

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!
I took the MCAT back in September 2012 and got PS:10, V:9, and BS: 10. I have a 3.601 GPA, did a year of research, 2 years of clinical work, worked in an educational access project (as a member and later a coordinator) for 3 years, participated as a general member for a cultural organization, employed as a tutor for my university for 3 years (was supervisor for all tutoring services during my final year), and part of leadership for a religious organization for my Newman Center (for Catholics).

Since graduation, I've continued tutoring and also volunteer at my local parish. I plan to apply for medical school during the 2015-2016 cycle (so not this year's cycle, but next year's cycle) because I will be attending a 2 year masters program soon. I know that applications for that cycle come out in April 2015, but if I intend to matriculate in 2016, are my MCAT scores from 2012 invalid? I know there's a "three year rule" for eligibility on MCAT scores, so I thought I'd ask now rather than later, just in case I need to begin studying again for the MCAT. Should I relate the MCAT based on eligibility of scores only? Thanks for any and all advice everyone!

Took the MCAT twice, and entertaining the thought of a third take. I have a low GPA (<3.3), and am going to an SMP this fall. I'm planning on applying the cycle after the completion of my SMP. I'd like to get into my state school ("like" perhaps isn't strong enough here -"busting my balls to do everything possible to get in" is the more appropriate phrase), but the average MCAT here is between 32-33. I met with an adviser recently, who recommended trying to get above the average (so, at least a 33), and was wondering what the SDN community thought.

My previous takes:
1st take- 29Q (9 - 10 - 10)
2nd take (one year later) - 31 (10 - 11 - 10)

Preparation wasn't the greatest for my first take, but I scored my AAMC average. On my second take, I worked pretty hard and got my score up to an AAMC average of 34 (range of 31-37) and a GS average of 33. I didn't necessarily "choke" on the real thing, but I felt like basically every weakness I had was on the PS/BS sections.

I have a free summer, and am encouraged that there's a lot of room to improve in BS/PS (the sections most easily improved), so am optimistic about a possible score improvement. At the same time though, I'm trying to be wary about the possible repercussions of a third retake and how it would look with minimal improvement/no improvement.

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Don't have the time to respond to most of the individual posts, but I'll just add my 2 cents to the chorus. It's been several years since I was a pre-med but I've also stayed somewhat involved with the admissions process.

1) Minimum MCAT total cutoff should be 30 to have a realistic shot. I'm not saying exceptions don't happen (I know an URM who got in with a 24, but this is exceedingly rare) but you could spend the rest of your life applying with a 27 and not get in. In general, the reason you're on this thread is to play the trends. A safer MCAT goal would be 32, because not even a 30 with a solid GPA is a guarantee. Med school admissions are a crapshoot in many cases.

2) This topic is controversial, but based on my experiences, I would strongly advise against passing up DO acceptances to go to the Caribbean. The Caribbean has a few solid options (SGU, Ross) but DO schools are a much safer option, with stronger residency options. Anecdotally, the amount of Caribbean med students I've seen failing the Steps (or scoring ~200) is alarmingly high, and the stories I've heard is that most Caribbean med schools involve a lot of self-teaching. You'd be foolish IMO to pass up a DO acceptance for that uncertainty.

Reactions: 1 user
Took the MCAT twice, and entertaining the thought of a third take. I have a low GPA (<3.3), and am going to an SMP this fall. I'm planning on applying the cycle after the completion of my SMP. I'd like to get into my state school ("like" perhaps isn't strong enough here -"busting my balls to do everything possible to get in" is the more appropriate phrase), but the average MCAT here is between 32-33. I met with an adviser recently, who recommended trying to get above the average (so, at least a 33), and was wondering what the SDN community thought.

My previous takes:

Preparation wasn't the greatest for my first take, but I scored my AAMC average. On my second take, I worked pretty hard and got my score up to an AAMC average of 34 (range of 31-37) and a GS average of 33. I didn't necessarily "choke" on the real thing, but I felt like basically every weakness I had was on the PS/BS sections.

I have a free summer, and am encouraged that there's a lot of room to improve in BS/PS (the sections most easily improved), so am optimistic about a possible score improvement. At the same time though, I'm trying to be wary about the possible repercussions of a third retake and how it would look with minimal improvement/no improvement.

Your situation is tricky. The MCAT is decent enough, but the low GPA will hurt a lot. In a vacuum, I'd recommend retaking (esp since you have time to study) because you'll need a higher MCAT to offset a sub-3.3 GPA. The 3rd retake situation is tricky, however.

At the end of the day, though, without another retake, it may be difficult to get an MD acceptance. I'd apply widely and to DO schools as well with those stats. I had 2 friends with similar situations (33/3.2 and 32/3.2) and one was accepted to a DO school, one was accepted to an MD school. A lot of it just comes down to where you apply - so don't let a fixation on 1 school limit your application. I think retaking would be the best option, especially if you're trying to get into an allopathic school.

Reactions: 1 users
I dont have much to say advice wise on this matter. I am on my second retake and alomst had it not scored at all but that would be pointless. Barring a few extra LORs and maybe adding more shadowing, my app is all done just gonna have to submit. MCAT ugh...we will see how it goes:confused:. My question is this: how come a lot of folks on here are aiming so high? :wtf:There is nothing wrong with high standards, but it seems like overkill. The average for MCAT in the US is 26-28 so, anything in that range is still a decent score. Hell the average might actually be a bit lower than that nationwide. :cat:I know some want Ivy league, but have you all even looked at the curiculum for most MD programs? Its basically A&P stretched out for 4 years and then add a little bedside manner, ethics and maybe a research project. But it really is a glorified breakdown of biology at a very steep price. Is it because the residency programs? Aer you hoping that if you get in to a ivy or top tier school that you will have a better chance on match day? I would really like some input on this please. Does MCAT score retakes play that much of a role into affecting that far ahead? thank for entertaing this (p.S. MODs if this belong elsewhere let me know thanks)

My previous takes:

31 is a solid score, congrats! Honestly, I think your only weakness (numbers) is your GPA which you are working on with the SMP you will be taking. Take your summer and do something you are passionate about that you can reflect in your personal statement or talk about during interviews. Apply broadly and on DAY 1, I think you will be fine.

I really don't want to take the mcat a third time, so much stress, but I feel like I have to because my score is just too low.

First time in July of 2012: 9/10/7
Second time March of 2014: 9/9/10

Both times I scored lowered than my AAMC practice test average, so I don't know maybe I'm just bad at test taking. My GPA is 3.68, I have over 200 hours of volunteering, I have also done volunteering abroad, shadowed doctors and worked in a research lab. And I'm planning to apply to both MD and DO programs. Please give me some advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, new to SND but any advice would be unbelievably appreciated.

Please keep in mind that I will be applying primarily to DO schools. I have a 3.3 gpa (science and overall) with very competitive ECs and clinical experiences.

Mcat scores were received yesterday. I walked away with a soul crushing 26 (8/9/9). I felt sufficiently prepared for the test. I took all of the AAMC practice tests and scored in the 29-32 range with a 31 average. I believe my low score had more to do with the mcat head games than my actual understanding of the material. I never found my test taking rhythm and felt strapped for time in all 3 sections.

Now my pre health adviser seems to think that I do not need to retake the test, however I feel that with my gpa a 26 wont cut it.

I would like to retake the test as soon as possible, maybe in the next 6 weeks.
Is that a good strategy for someone who prepared well for the test but didnt preform on the actual test, or is that hasty?

Should I approach the retake differently?

I dont have much to say advice wise on this matter. I am on my second retake and alomst had it not scored at all but that would be pointless. Barring a few extra LORs and maybe adding more shadowing, my app is all done just gonna have to submit. MCAT ugh...we will see how it goes:confused:. My question is this: how come a lot of folks on here are aiming so high? :wtf:There is nothing wrong with high standards, but it seems like overkill. The average for MCAT in the US is 26-28 so, anything in that range is still a decent score. Hell the average might actually be a bit lower than that nationwide. :cat:I know some want Ivy league, but have you all even looked at the curiculum for most MD programs? Its basically A&P stretched out for 4 years and then add a little bedside manner, ethics and maybe a research project. But it really is a glorified breakdown of biology at a very steep price. Is it because the residency programs? Aer you hoping that if you get in to a ivy or top tier school that you will have a better chance on match day? I would really like some input on this please. Does MCAT score retakes play that much of a role into affecting that far ahead? thank for entertaing this (p.S. MODs if this belong elsewhere let me know thanks)

That number is a bit misleading. That average MCAT score is for all test-takers, not the people who actually get into med school (let alone apply).

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

Based on the above document, the mean MCAT for all test-takers was 25.3 with a standard deviation of 6.5. Another document from the AAMC contradicts that number, however:

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/2013factstable17.pdf

In that pdf, the AAMC reports an MCAT average of 28.4 with an SD of 5.5 for all test-takers. Regardless of which one is correct, that number is irrelevant.

What you want to look at is the 2nd table: the averages for people who actually matriculated at US med schools. That average was 31.3, and the average GPA was 3.69. Only 20,000 of the 48,000 applicants in 2013 actually matriculated in med school.

Last edited:
Is it because the residency programs? Aer you hoping that if you get in to a ivy or top tier school that you will have a better chance on match day? I would really like some input on this please. Does MCAT score retakes play that much of a role into affecting that far ahead? thank for entertaing this (p.S. MODs if this belong elsewhere let me know thanks)

As to your second question:

One of the biggest myths among pre-meds is that the medical school you attend makes no difference. Applying to residency from a top 20 program is very different than a no-name lower-tier program. Different doors will open for you. While med school reputation will in no way compensate for poor Step scores or clinical grades, you have a better chance of getting a serious look from the top-tier programs if your application is strong. In addition, top programs (or at least bigger ones) may provide more research opportunities than smaller schools. If you apply to a competitive field (e.g. urology, plastics, derm) you may have a better chance of getting strong letters from well-known physicians in the field at a strong school - smaller schools often lack residency programs in these specialties. There are a number of advantages, both small and large, to being at a top-tier med school.

29 (8/10/11) with a 3.85 GPA. ER scribe, PCA, published researcher, with multiple volunteer positions. Should I retake?

URM? Applying to DO as well?

Your stats should be OK for DO barring any red flags. MD could go either way, depending on where you apply. If you're set on an MD acceptance and truly feel you have the potential to improve, I'd probably retake. An MCAT on the wrong side of 30 is just tough these days.

Hi everyone, new to SND but any advice would be unbelievably appreciated.

Please keep in mind that I will be applying primarily to DO schools. I have a 3.3 gpa (science and overall) with very competitive ECs and clinical experiences.

Mcat scores were received yesterday. I walked away with a soul crushing 26 (8/9/9). I felt sufficiently prepared for the test. I took all of the AAMC practice tests and scored in the 29-32 range with a 31 average. I believe my low score had more to do with the mcat head games than my actual understanding of the material. I never found my test taking rhythm and felt strapped for time in all 3 sections.

Now my pre health adviser seems to think that I do not need to retake the test, however I feel that with my gpa a 26 wont cut it.

I would like to retake the test as soon as possible, maybe in the next 6 weeks.
Is that a good strategy for someone who prepared well for the test but didnt preform on the actual test, or is that hasty?

Should I approach the retake differently?

I'd disagree with your adviser. With a 3.3 GPA, I'd aim for a 30+ MCAT even for DO. I think you have the right idea.

Unfortunately the test-taking doesn't stop after you're admitted to med school. Being able to do well on standardized tests is part of the job. I'd recommend going heavy on the practice questions/tests if you feel that your knowledge base wasn't an issue.

No one can tell you exactly when is the best time to re-take, but if you've developed your knowledge base heavily over the last 1-2 months (semi-cramming) there's a chance you'll lose a lot of it if you delay your retake. On the other hand, if you have a strong baseline knowledge base from your college science classes, that won't be as much as an issue.

Students often misjudge their knowledge base. But if you truly feel that wasn't an issue, then taking it within 6 weeks and going hard on the practice tests is very reasonable.

I just wanted to ask in here if it is common to score quite a bit lower than your AAMC practice test scores? I took the test on March 22 and was scoring extremely well on my practice tests, but in the actual test I felt like it was difficult for me to focus and I barely finished each section whereas in practice I'd often have a decent amount of time leftover in the BS section. I ended up getting about 4 points lower than my AAMC average, I'm wondering if anyone else had the same experience? I don't know if I should retake it and see if perhaps I fare better under test conditions the second time around. I still got a solid score (it's 30+) but I'm just wondering if being so much lower than AAMC average warrants a retake. Any advice?

So, I took the MCAT on March 22, while finishing up research for a thesis, traveling to present my research, and studying for my final two classes before graduation. My practice scores for AAMC tests ranged between 32 and 36. My last Princeton Review test was about a month before the MCAT and was a 26.

Anyhow my official score was a 27. PS - 8, VR - 9, BS - 10. I'm planning on applying to MD primarily as well as DO. My GPA is a 3.78, and I have a year and a half of cancer research completed, a senior thesis, 3,000+ hours working as an ER scribe, plenty of shadow hours outside of the ER job, along with other typical EC's.

I've been debating whether to take my chance with this score for MD, or to re-take and hope it improves a substantial amount. No idea why it dropped from the 30+ range... And how soon should I retake it? I would like to take it no later than the June 13 date, to get my applications in early still.

Anyways, it's notoriously difficult to get responses and appointments with my adviser here. I'm trying to get an appointment to talk to him but would appreciate more feedback!

I took the test April 24th. My practice tests were around 36-37. Usually a 12-13 on BS/PS and 11-12 on verbal. I don't think I did terribly, but I didn't feel confident walking out of the test center (also, I remembered several of the questions I was struggling with and know I went at a minimum, -3 on both PS and BS, and that's only what I know for sure). My GPA is pretty low, so I want to do everything I can to improve my chances, including applying early. I do not get scores back until May 28th. Should I sign up for a retake now, get my scores back, and retake if the score is low, delaying my application until probably mid July? If I don't sign up soon, my potential retake test date will probably have to be later, delaying the app even more. Any advice? I am already three years out of undergrad and would prefer not delaying another cycle.

I took the test April 24th. My practice tests were around 36-37. Usually a 12-13 on BS/PS and 11-12 on verbal. I don't think I did terribly, but I didn't feel confident walking out of the test center (also, I remembered several of the questions I was struggling with and know I went at a minimum, -3 on both PS and BS, and that's only what I know for sure). My GPA is pretty low, so I want to do everything I can to improve my chances, including applying early. I do not get scores back until May 28th. Should I sign up for a retake now, get my scores back, and retake if the score is low, delaying my application until probably mid July? If I don't sign up soon, my potential retake test date will probably have to be later, delaying the app even more. Any advice? I am already three years out of undergrad and would prefer not delaying another cycle.

I was in a similar situation (i.e. took the exam, wasn't sure exactly how I did but knew I missed a few) and had regular undergrad classes coming up so I wanted to squeeze another MCAT in before classes started if I needed to retake it. However, in my case, I took my 2nd MCAT without seeing the score on my first, I literally took it 3 weeks after my first. The plan was to go in and void if I thought I did worse than the first time. I ended up thinking I did the same so I let it get scored. I scored +1 above my average practice score on the first and +2 on the second.

The ideal thing in your situation, if money is not a huge factor, would be to sign up for the retake just in case. At least you'll be able to see your score beforehand and not go through the whole test again for no reason like I did. Also, you can submit your whole AMCAS app without your MCAT score - I finished my app early and sent it to all my schools and the MCAT then gets automatically sent to your schools. Just make sure you send in the AMCAS app early bc it takes a long time to get verified (you do not need MCAT for this). Also, your practice MCAT scores are very competitive for all MD schools so you should be fine even if you score a few points lower on the actual exam.

29 composite (8PS, 9VR, 12BS); 3.7 GPA
During this past year off I've been able to get some really great opportunities as far as research goes (manuscript sent for publishing as co-author, speaking at a medical conference this September, working as a patient advisor, etc.)
Still, the MCAT score makes me nervous (for MD schools), considering retake. What do you guys think?

Just got my score back today. It was a 33 (14/9/10).

Should I be concerned about the 9 and 10 and go for a retake? I am hoping to go to an MD school.

(Both my cGPA and sGPA are 3.9+)

Last edited:
Also got my score back today. Total: 34 (13 ps / 7 vr / 14 bs)

Do I need to retake for MD schools? I imagine that a 7 would destroy my chances at any MD school. cGPA and sGPA are 3.9+

Also a casualty of the brutal 04/05 exam. Scored a 31 (P: 11, V: 10, B: 10). Was averaging about 33-34 and Bio was typically 13. Not super happy about my Bio score. Should I retake it or is it not worth it?

Thanks for any input!

(And I'm only applying to allopathic schools.)

Got a friend that scored

PS 13
BS 13
VR 6

English isn't his first lang.
His VR averages is between 6-9 but it fluctuates.
Any advice is helpful.

I got my results yesterday for 4/5's mcat

I scored a 11 PS/13 VR/8 BS

I'm guessing I should retake with that 8? I was averaging a 12/11/11 on the aamc practice tests

Status
Not open for further replies.