Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Like most people here, did not do as well as I hoped. I got a 27 (PS 08, VR 09, BS 10). On my practice exams I was scoring an average of 32-34 and usually got a 12 or so in PS. I did not feel like there was anything in particular that threw me off on test day, except the cold a little. I do live in Canada however, I'm not too sure if that'll make a huge difference. Lastly, my gpa definitely isn't the best....(65%....)

Like most people here, did not do as well as I hoped. I got a 27 (PS 08, VR 09, BS 10). On my practice exams I was scoring an average of 32-34 and usually got a 12 or so in PS. I did not feel like there was anything in particular that threw me off on test day, except the cold a little. I do live in Canada however, I'm not too sure if that'll make a huge difference. Lastly, my gpa definitely isn't the best....(65%....)

If you were truly scoring 32-34 consistently on practice exams (i.e. not minimizing to google the answer to that question that you really should know already anyways) then I would say you should retake. That's a pretty big gap to drop down, and if you can retake and get in the 30's you'll be in a much better position.

Good luck

Hmm.. that is a tough situation. Sorry to hear about the bad news for PS :( 34 is a good score, although if you can improve it to a 11, I feel that a 36 is so much different than a 34. I think I would risk it but definitely give it some more thought. I am curious about your verbal scores! I'm in the opposite situation right now, with PS and BS usually dominating over a subpar verbal score. 13V is fantastic! Do you have any recommendations for how to improve?
Hi, thank you for your feedback. I am definitely still thinking it over. As for the verbal, where does your problem lie (i.e is it timing or is it content)?

1.)If timing is the case, time yourself on the verbal section (I know that there is an option to turn off the timer during the full lengths) and see how long it takes you. Then, it is just a matter of practice. Try to trim your time with each try (that is if you are over the allotted hour). I found that I can do passage+questions in about 7 min (give or take a couple of minutes depending on the passage difficulty). I would aim for 7 min, and if I could not finish in that time, I would move on to the next passage (unless I was on the verge of getting an answer) and go back later. This worked well for me.

2.) If content is the case, identify which type of passage (i.e humanities, physical science, behavioral science) gives you the most trouble. Identify why that passage type is giving you trouble. For me, the physical science and behavioral science passages were the most difficult, and I found them difficult for two different reasons. I found the physical science section difficult because I would (not kidding you) ALWAYS get something on evolution. I really dislike those passages because my eyes would just glaze over, and I would end up having to re-read the passage several times due to spacing out (something about those passages just makes me very sleepy). So I trained myself to be extra alert whenever I came across those passage types. For the behavioral science passage the problem was more like I-understand-what-each-word-means-but-I-have-no-idea-what-this-sentance-is-trying-to-tell-me. To get over this, I read some behavioral science literature to get used to the passages (Hillary Putman is good for this). Basically, practice is the answer.

Also, always make sure that you are answering what the question is asking (MCAT is a trickster and likes to add a single word to the question stem to change the WHOLE answer). If you have time, read quickly through the questions before you start the passage to give you a ballpark idea what you would be looking for.

Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd only retake if you were scoring that high on Verbal consistently. Otherwise no
I averaged a 12 on verbal, but my scores ranged from 9 to 15. Also, I did not have a clear trend (more like an up-down, up-down thing). Do you think that it is too risky?

Hi,
I recently took the MCAT and got a 34 (PS 9, V 13, BS 12). I know this is a decent score, but the uneven distribution worries me (I'd be happier if it was 10, 12, 12). I was wondering how the single digit in PS would affect my application (i.e would I be screened out). I know that I can do better in the PS section (average practice score for PS was 11). I just had a blank out/existential crisis during the PS section (had to give myself a pep talk in the bathroom afterwards to convince myself to continue :/), so I am 95% sure that I can improve that section.

I know that realistically my other section scores could go down. However, if a double digit in all sections looks better than the funky distribution that I have, I am willing to chance it. Thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

100% DO NOT RETAKE. The difference between say a 34 and a 36 can literally be 2 more questions right, which is entirely not worth it. It will be looked upon poorly if you retake a 34; you're not psychotic are you? Didn't think so. So don't give adcoms a reason to think so, keep your score.

Reactions: 1 user
I averaged a 12 on verbal, but my scores ranged from 9 to 15. Also, I did not have a clear trend (more like an up-down, up-down thing). Do you think that it is too risky?
Personally I would lean towards not retaking but then again you should be able to get similar VR and BS scores while raising your PS if you were indeed scoring higher on it in practice

Hi all, I scored a 26 last August but could not apply that cycle for other reasons. This year I submitted my app in June and just got my 2nd score back.. I am super disappointed because I was scoring 30 on practices tests with 9 on sciences. Not sure whether to try for an August retake. Would this delay schools reviewing my app even though I have a score already in?
I am URM (AA), economically disadvantaged. Thanks so much for any advice!

Last edited:
Hi all, I scored a 26 (PS 7 VR 12 BS 7) last August but could not apply that cycle for other reasons. This year I submitted my app in June and just got my 2nd score back, 25 (PS 6 VR 11 BS 8). I am super disappointed because I was scoring 30 on practices tests with 9 on sciences. Not sure whether to try for an August retake. Would this delay schools reviewing my app even though I have a score already in?
I am URM (AA), economically disadvantaged, first in family to go to college (was actually homeschooled entire life). Thanks so much for any advice!
I wouldn't rush to take it again. You have to think carefully. Your VR is very good, but your PS and BS don't look too great. Will a few weeks make a difference in your scores in these sections? How will you prepare better for them?

Thanks- yes I am a bit stumped as to how to study differently but I was scoring higher on practice tests and on an upward trend so I'm not sure how my PS dropped like that. I know a good physics tutor so that could make a difference. I feel like I am capable of a 30 - but I know a same or worse score would be really bad. Other info- I am non-trad and GPA is around 3.5

Thanks Shipley for the reply. that was my train of thought as well. I have rebooked another date and am going hard on the studying once again!

Hey guys, looking for an opinion here, first off took MCAT first time 6/13 this year got 27 (PS7 VR9 BS11)(MD applicant 3.8 s/cgpa), In all of my practice tests I never got below a 9 on PS, I know I have to retake, but haven't really studied much since the test, some of the standards on this site are pretty high but im fine with a BS11 and VR9 but I need better than a PS7, that I know, am I at all at an advantage retesting for one section, and whats the best way to go about retaking primarily for one section? I don't want to go down at all, how, on average, will schools view this situation?

Last edited:
Hey guys, looking for an opinion here, first off took MCAT first time 6/13 this year got 27 (PS7 VR9 BS11)(MD applicant 3.8 s/cgpa), In all of my practice tests I never got below a 9 on PS, I know I have to retake, but haven't really studied much since the test, some of the standards on this site are pretty high but im fine with a BS11 and VR9 but I need better than a PS7, that I know, am I at all at an advantage retesting for one section, and whats the best way to go about retaking primarily for one section? I don't want to go down at all, how, on average, will schools view this situation?

The bottom line in relation to your situation is that certain schools have a threshold for sections of the MCAT; i.e. they will screen you out with a section score of 7 or below. While you may recieve a secondary app, your fee will likely be a donation to their school, as you will be screened out of an interview invite due to the low section score. With that being said, Adcoms are smart; if you take the MCAT again and raise that 7 in PS, they will understand why you are retaking; even if you drop a point or two elsewhere (as long as it's not to a 7! ;) ).

Get hungry, and go get it RedSox143!!

Cheers

(a humble retaker)

thanks for the positivity! once i got my scores i figured i was 2/3's the way there, depends how adcoms view retakes, hoping they take best individual scores

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the positivity! once i got my scores i figured i was 2/3's the way there, depends how adcoms view retakes, hoping they take best individual scores

I highly recommend Chads Videos for physics and chemistry. You will rock the PS section if you watch the videos and do extra practice problems. You got this RedSox!! You are almost there.

Obviously times have changed since this thread has started. Just wanted to get some insight from anyone.

I'm an Indian-American (asian), and I recently got a mcat score of a 31 (PS:10/VR:9/BS:12) for 6/13 date, first time. I'm not shooting for the top 10's, but I am looking for a decent MD school in the U.S. for the 2015 cycle

I was wondering if anyone at all could give me some insight as to retake (that 9 verbal is worrying me). Here's a quick breakdown of my bio

3.8 gpa, ~3.8 sgpa
Over 150 hrs of shadowing (3 diff medical fields)
2 Research stints (1 clinical research resulting in a publication in a high impact journal)
~200 hrs of volunteering (Hospice, medical missions, numerous charitable events)
Private tutor for children in local area and held a higher managing position in employment for the company
Member and held positions in a fraternity
double major: biology, exercise science
top 40 undergrad school (if that matters)

Basically just want to get into a medical school here in the U.S. with a good chance of obtaining residency. Hopefully those who read this can help me. Good luck to everyone else in their endeavors! Keep at it, no one said it would be easy :).

Take care

just got my scores back got a 25
11/4/10 not really quite sure what happened on that verbal was averaging 8-10 usally getting 28/40 correct on tests. Still want to apply this cycle after a retake whats your guy's opinion on taking a month from now after not studying the past month, and is this too late to still apply for this cycle?

Just got my scores back. I'm in a bit of a predicament. My AAMC average was 38. Actual score: 27 (10/8/9).
I have absolutely no idea what happened. I got thrown off my game early in PS when the passages seemed so much longer than the AAMC tests. My timing was shot. Same thing happened in Verbal, and by that time I couldn't stop thinking about PS. Bio was crazy. I'm not sure what to do. Do you guys think I should retake? If so, how soon? August 2 and 7 are still open. I think I know the material really well, I think most of my problem was mental and timing. Advice? I have to overcome a GPA issue as well (health related, did really poor in college, but excelled in a post bac)

Just got my scores back. I'm in a bit of a predicament. My AAMC average was 38. Actual score: 27 (10/8/9).
I have absolutely no idea what happened. I got thrown off my game early in PS when the passages seemed so much longer than the AAMC tests. My timing was shot. Same thing happened in Verbal, and by that time I couldn't stop thinking about PS. Bio was crazy. I'm not sure what to do. Do you guys think I should retake? If so, how soon? August 2 and 7 are still open. I think I know the material really well, I think most of my problem was mental and timing. Advice? I have to overcome a GPA issue as well (health related, did really poor in college, but excelled in a post bac)

If you were averaging 38!!! Def retake ASAP. That's a crazy drop. I mean, did you take all the practice exams!? Under test conditions. That's nuts

Omg.... that is the stuff of nightmares. I'm so sorry :(
Yes. Retake. ASAP. Maybe a little later in August though.

Hi all. Got my score back today (6/21 MCAT) - PS 10/ VR 11/ BS 10. It's right on my AAMC average, so I'm not surprised. But, I'm worried because my GPA is middle of the road as well - 3.59, sGPA 3.67. I do have great ECs, a couple of great LORs, but little research (not my interest, though, and my app expresses that). I guess I was hoping for a little bit of a miracle. Verbal took me by surprise because I was at steady 12s and 13s on all my FLs. I guess it was a rough curve.
So, should I retake? Applying mostly mid-tier MDs. The average MCAT for most of my schools is 32/33, according to MSAR, and the average GPA is 3.7-3.8. Do I have a shot, or do I have to tackle this thing again?

I got a 27 last yr (10/ 8/ 9) but this yr I got a 29 (12/ 7/ 10)... The 7 in verbal is worrying me. I am applying ed to a state school in which the cutoffs are 27 composite (no comment about the subscores) and 3.5 gpa... I have a 3.71 overall gpa (maybe 3.68-3.7 science gpa). I am asian btw (born and raised in the US)

Everything else is solid I think. 800+ hours of research with my data in posters presented in international and national poster conferences (5th author), 200+ hours nonclinical; ~98 hours clinical volunteering, 60 hours shadowing, and 3 leadership positions.

Although I meet the minimum requirements, the 7 bothers me a lot. Should I retake and not apply this cycle?

I got a 27 last yr (10/ 8/ 9) but this yr I got a 29 (12/ 7/ 10)... The 7 in verbal is worrying me. I am applying ed to a state school in which the cutoffs are 27 composite (no comment about the subscores) and 3.5 gpa... I have a 3.71 overall gpa (maybe 3.68-3.7 science gpa). I am asian btw (born and raised in the US)

Everything else is solid I think. 800+ hours of research with my data in posters presented in international and national poster conferences (5th author), 200+ hours nonclinical; ~98 hours clinical volunteering, 60 hours shadowing, and 3 leadership positions.

Although I meet the minimum requirements, the 7 bothers me a lot. Should I retake and not apply this cycle?

You got an 8 and a 7 on verbal, what would be the point in retaking? Verbal is the hardest to improve and you will most likely score the same, maybe go up a point or worse, score lower. I would not retake a third time but maybe others can give their opinion too.

You got an 8 and a 7 on verbal, what would be the point in retaking? Verbal is the hardest to improve and you will most likely score the same, maybe go up a point or worse, score lower. I would not retake a third time but maybe others can give their opinion too.

Do you think I have a good shot in this school, considering my MCAT and their requirements (minimum 27 composite; 3.5 gpa)

Do you think I have a good shot in this school, considering my MCAT and their requirements (minimum 27 composite; 3.5 gpa)

Honestly, I think it's gonna be hard if you are set on MD. Being an orm and having a low mcat will make things hard. You can look at the numbers the aamc publishes and see what your chances are based off of just GPA and mcat. If you think you can really improve your mcat, retake, but otherwise just apply. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get in. Apply to schools where your mcat is close to their range. I have a 29 mcat (10/9/10) and similar EC to you except I have more research and some published papers and I'm applying this cycle too. You can also search md apps to see how people with your stats did but take it wih a grain of salt since non of that stuff is verified.

I got a 32 (12/9/11) which was much lower than my AAMC average of a 36 and my lowest score ever... I was scoring in the upper 30's and I got a 40 the week before the test so I didn't know what happened! I'm in a 7 year BS/MD program and they require a 30 for acceptance, but I was hoping to score closer to my average and hope to get scholarships or looks from other med schools. It's tricky because I'm in, but I'm also really disappointed with how ****ty I performed

I got a 32 (12/9/11) which was much lower than my AAMC average of a 36 and my lowest score ever... I was scoring in the upper 30's and I got a 40 the week before the test so I didn't know what happened! I'm in a 7 year BS/MD program and they require a 30 for acceptance, but I was hoping to score closer to my average and hope to get scholarships or looks from other med schools. It's tricky because I'm in, but I'm also really disappointed with how ****ty I performed

Do you want to be an MD? You already are accepted and you wanna retake? What happens if you somehow go down!? Idk why anyone would do this

Reactions: 2 users

Hi! On the contrary, I think that you are quite capable of getting a score in the 30s and should consider this decision a bit more. However, it is very important that you 1) really evaluate your study habits from previous two tests (what worked and what didn't and what you are struggling with the most) and 2) have enough time to dedicate to studying. Although the subject material is very familiar and somewhat basic, I think the difficulty of the MCAT lies in the logic and timed conditions under pressure. You need enough time to drill yourself with an incessant stream of practice tests and constant review of the material. It is true that Verbal is very difficult to improve. I am currently struggling with this as well and in the range of 7 the curve ensures that you will need to get more questions right to raise your score than if you were around 13-15. However, there is huge room for improvement in this area if you can successfully target your troubles and do more practice. A high verbal score will be looked at very favorably upon medical school admissions (or so I've heard). Ultimately, I would not want to be on the lower end of the spectrum for statistics of accepted students so I think a higher MCAT score would be a good advantage. Although, take what I said with a grain of salt since I'm actually just studying for my first MCAT :) But best of luck!

Your research looks very impressive!

Hey all,
I took a prep course from January until May and I was trying to study a decent amount through school. I had like a 28-35 average on the AAMCs . I took the test on 6/21/14 and I got a 26 with a 10(PS) 9(BS) and 7(VR). Now I know Verbal is really hard to improves. I have a 3.84gpa with a 3.75 sGpa . I have about 240hours of volunteer work at a nursing home/assisted living, I am currently working at an avian oncology lab, and have 135 hours of shadowing a neurologist . My PS in my AMCAS is pretty good and I have 5 LORs which should be pretty strong. I have applied MD to places like MSU CHM, UofM , Wayne State, Oakland University (hoping to get into MSU for a state school since I like it there) and have applied to several mid tiers like University of North Carolina and Wisconsin med school. I'm not too sure what happened and I think I might be able to do better. I used the EK books to work with, does anyone recommend others (I heard TPR has better bio)? I am planning to retake in December if it isn't too late for this cycle.
other notes: Not URM

My most recent predicament is what to do with my MCAT scores. It has been awhile since I took the actual classes (7 yrs, older but not so old applicant) so much of it I had to relearn and was realistic about but expectations. I was hoping to get a 30-32 and rely on 4 yrs of clinical experience as PA, GPA of 3.6 undergrad molecular bio major at U of M, and GPA 3.95 at PA school, letters from my attending and PA faculty, and other ECs. I took the MCAT in June and just found out I got a 29 (8 V, 11 PS, 10 BS) and don't know what to do. I was averaging a 30-31 on practice tests so its not completely off, but was really hoping to get a 30+. Do I retake and risk doing worse? Don't really want to take it much later than August for this cycle, leaves me 4 weeks to study more. Do schools like seeing you try for better score? I am not hoping for top tier school, really hoping for University of Vermont as it is in-state and supportive family around, and their median MCAT score is 31. Any thought or suggestions?

My most recent predicament is what to do with my MCAT scores. It has been awhile since I took the actual classes (7 yrs, older but not so old applicant) so much of it I had to relearn and was realistic about but expectations. I was hoping to get a 30-32 and rely on 4 yrs of clinical experience as PA, GPA of 3.6 undergrad molecular bio major at U of M, and GPA 3.95 at PA school, letters from my attending and PA faculty, and other ECs. I took the MCAT in June and just found out I got a 29 (8 V, 11 PS, 10 BS) and don't know what to do. I was averaging a 30-31 on practice tests so its not completely off, but was really hoping to get a 30+. Do I retake and risk doing worse? Don't really want to take it much later than August for this cycle, leaves me 4 weeks to study more. Do schools like seeing you try for better score? I am not hoping for top tier school, really hoping for University of Vermont as it is in-state and supportive family around, and their median MCAT score is 31. Any thought or suggestions?

Your score may certainly go down on a retake, so I don't think I'd retake if I were you (especially since it's so close to your average). Seems like you have really solid clinical experience from being a PA, so I think that can help you stand out. Does everything else make you a good applicant? I don't know what your chances are for UVM, but your subsection scores do all fall into the 10th-9oth percentile range for the school (according to the MSAR), and the MCAT score is clearly only one aspect of an application. I definitely recommend applying to schools like NYMC, Albany, Quinnipiac since they are still in the Northeast.

Good luck!

Not technically URM I suppose. Caucasian female

I think you can probably get a DO acceptance but your PS is gonna hurt you for MD. I think it's gonna depend where you apply and what state you are in but if you don't mind DO and you have good EC and other stuff I think you can get in.

I think you can probably get a DO acceptance but your PS is gonna hurt you for MD. I think it's gonna depend where you apply and what state you are in but if you don't mind DO and you have good EC and other stuff I think you can get in.
Yeah. I'm hoping to get in at the school I did my undergrad at. I worked in a lab at the medical school and am actually on a published paper from my research there. My advisor was on the admissions committee (but obviously he can't write me a letter of recommendation). I have 150+ hours shadowing and 500+ volunteer hours, about a third are clinical. The average MCAT for them is 29. So I've got my fingers crossed!!

Non-traditional student. Was not focused or committed to pursuing medical career in college due to family issues. Non-science major. cGPA: 3.4 and science GPA: 3.35

Took 18 credits of DIY post-bacc upper-level science GPA: 3.78

Took MCAT while working full-time/ exhausted, little sleep, and not dedicating enough time to studying/practicing as much as I should have:

May 2013: 32
11 PS 10 V 11 BS

Recently prepped a little more and have been scoring 12/13 for PS and BS sections in GS tests and 11/12 on EK 101 verbal tests. I feel as if I can get my BS to 13/14 and PS to 12/13 with more prep/practice before. I feel like I should demonstrate my strength in science and make up for my low GPA by having a 35+ MCAT.

Is it worth retaking? And possibly delaying my app from being processed this cycle? I sent my primary last week so it's already late the game. I'm a CT resident so I don't have many state school options either. Appreciate your insight! Thank you

Non-traditional student. Was not focused or committed to pursuing medical career in college due to family issues. Non-science major. cGPA: 3.4 and science GPA: 3.35

Took 18 credits of DIY post-bacc upper-level science GPA: 3.78

Took MCAT while working full-time/ exhausted, little sleep, and not dedicating enough time to studying/practicing as much as I should have:

May 2013: 32
11 PS 10 V 11 BS

Recently prepped a little more and have been scoring 12/13 for PS and BS sections in GS tests and 11/12 on EK 101 verbal tests. I feel as if I can get my BS to 13/14 and PS to 12/13 with more prep/practice before. I feel like I should demonstrate my strength in science and make up for my low GPA by having a 35+ MCAT.

Is it worth retaking? And possibly delaying my app from being processed this cycle? I sent my primary last week so it's already late the game. I'm a CT resident so I don't have many state school options either. Appreciate your insight! Thank you

Don't retake. Seriously, if you go down it will only look bad. Getting a 10 on verbal can honestly screw you over. You could go up on the sciences and probably drop in Verbal. + The difference between an 11 and 12 on PS is not much. If you wanna take that gamble go ahead, but I personally would not retake a 32. It's not gonna kill your app. Maybe if you were scoring high 30s/close to 40 consistently...Your GPA is not terrible, just on the lower side.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some advice on what to next. I just got my scores back from the 6/21/2014 MCAT, and I scored a horrible 25 PS 6/ VR 11/ BS 8.

I am currently a Biology Major, with a cGPA of 3.78, with over 100 hours of research, where there was no publication but I was third author on a poster presentation at a research fair.

The reason I got the score I did was probably due to not spending enough time preparing for the test, where I had only 2 weeks to study before the test date. For my preparation, I was obviously unprepared even though I had the Kaplan, and other textbooks such as EKR, but during that study period I mostly read through the books, and did not take many practice tests, which I now know was a mistake.

Now that I just got the score back, I know I do not have the necessary scores or EC's to apply this cycle, but am still conflicted on when I should retake the MCAT again. The next date that would work the best for me would be the September 10th, 2014 MCAT, because it is just before Fall Quarter starts for me. However that date only leaves me with 6 weeks of time to study and prep.

So my questions are, do I have sufficient time to study for the September 10th, 2014 MCAT? If you don't think that there is sufficient time for preparation between now and that date, what would you suggest I do? What are my options if I don't do well on that test, such as should I retake the test a third time in January 2014, which is the last date before they switch over to the 2015 MCAT, or should I take the 2015 MCAT next fall, leaving me ample time to study?

I know with my current score, I won't be able to get into any schools with it, and I am currently a resident of Washington State, where getting into the University of Washington's Medical School is now an impossibility.

Thank you for any advice you can give me, and while I wait for a reply I will spend my time studying for the next test.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some advice on what to next. I just got my scores back from the 6/21/2014 MCAT, and I scored a horrible 25 PS 6/ VR 11/ BS 8.

I am currently a Biology Major, with a cGPA of 3.78, with over 100 hours of research, where there was no publication but I was third author on a poster presentation at a research fair.

The reason I got the score I did was probably due to not spending enough time preparing for the test, where I had only 2 weeks to study before the test date. For my preparation, I was obviously unprepared even though I had the Kaplan, and other textbooks such as EKR, but during that study period I mostly read through the books, and did not take many practice tests, which I now know was a mistake.

Now that I just got the score back, I know I do not have the necessary scores or EC's to apply this cycle, but am still conflicted on when I should retake the MCAT again. The next date that would work the best for me would be the September 10th, 2014 MCAT, because it is just before Fall Quarter starts for me. However that date only leaves me with 6 weeks of time to study and prep.

So my questions are, do I have sufficient time to study for the September 10th, 2014 MCAT? If you don't think that there is sufficient time for preparation between now and that date, what would you suggest I do? What are my options if I don't do well on that test, such as should I retake the test a third time in January 2014, which is the last date before they switch over to the 2015 MCAT, or should I take the 2015 MCAT next fall, leaving me ample time to study?

I know with my current score, I won't be able to get into any schools with it, and I am currently a resident of Washington State, where getting into the University of Washington's Medical School is now an impossibility.

Thank you for any advice you can give me, and while I wait for a reply I will spend my time studying for the next test.

Do you think you have enough time? There definitely are people who spend six weeks studying and do great on the exam. Please take the AAMC practice exams, they are helpful for many people. I think the key right now is to take practice exams and find out what the topics are in PS and BS on which you need to focus. The best advice anyone can give you regarding the MCAT is take the test when you're ready, so if you want a lot of time to study, I don't see anything wrong with taking the new 2015 exam as long as you will feel comfortable with the new material that is going to be added to the exam. The good thing is that PS and BS scores are generally easier to improve than VR, so I think with adequate preparation, you should be able to take the exam in September.

Do you think you have enough time? There definitely are people who spend six weeks studying and do great on the exam. Please take the AAMC practice exams, they are helpful for many people. I think the key right now is to take practice exams and find out what the topics are in PS and BS on which you need to focus. The best advice anyone can give you regarding the MCAT is take the test when you're ready, so if you want a lot of time to study, I don't see anything wrong with taking the new 2015 exam as long as you will feel comfortable with the new material that is going to be added to the exam. The good thing is that PS and BS scores are generally easier to improve than VR, so I think with adequate preparation, you should be able to take the exam in September.

Personally, I am not sure if I have enough time, since it seems that the time it takes people to prepare varies. I will have more or less around 5 1/2 weeks to study at this point. From what I know from my experience last time, I am certain that my weaknesses during the test were mostly centered around Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, but I will still do as you recommended and take AAMC practice exams. Though I am still unsure of what the best way to study is. What I had in mind was spending the majority of my time reviewing the material, while also taking AAMC practice exams every week, though currently I only have the one free practice exam provided by the AAMC, as well as the materials that came with my Kaplan study books.

The reason I am apprehensive about the 2015 exam is the fact that I have taken zero classes on psychology and sociology, which are said to be on the 2015 test, and I am unsure of how that will affect my score. Furthermore, I want to make the most of my attempts, seeing as it seems that Medical Schools frown upon multiple attempts.

Thank you for your advice though, and I will definitely be trying to improve my PS and BS scores, which I know are lacking due to the inadequate preparation I had.

Any further advice is appreciated, because right now I am sort of lost with how I should proceed. though I am moderately certain that I will be taking the exam in September.

Personally, I am not sure if I have enough time, since it seems that the time it takes people to prepare varies. I will have more or less around 5 1/2 weeks to study at this point. From what I know from my experience last time, I am certain that my weaknesses during the test were mostly centered around Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, but I will still do as you recommended and take AAMC practice exams. Though I am still unsure of what the best way to study is. What I had in mind was spending the majority of my time reviewing the material, while also taking AAMC practice exams every week, though currently I only have the one free practice exam provided by the AAMC, as well as the materials that came with my Kaplan study books.

The reason I am apprehensive about the 2015 exam is the fact that I have taken zero classes on psychology and sociology, which are said to be on the 2015 test, and I am unsure of how that will affect my score. Furthermore, I want to make the most of my attempts, seeing as it seems that Medical Schools frown upon multiple attempts.

Thank you for your advice though, and I will definitely be trying to improve my PS and BS scores, which I know are lacking due to the inadequate preparation I had.

Any further advice is appreciated, because right now I am sort of lost with how I should proceed. though I am moderately certain that I will be taking the exam in September.

I would just schedule the test for September and if your practice tests aren't good enough near the test date, you can reschedule/cancel the exam and take it in January.

Hoping to get some advice.

I currently have 3.25ish GPA for both cgpa and sgpa.
(Going to retake some courses this fall.. so by Dec.. if I get all As, which I think I can.. my GPA should
go up to around 3.4-3.5)
Took MCAT 3 times already :(
I first got.. 19... and then 20... then I got 25 (in June MCAT) - PS 9/ VR 8/ BS 8
I'm really unsure about whether to retake or not.

I'm aiming for DO schools..

Pretty conflicted right now.
AAMC average: 31-35 (33) with VR at 10, and PS/BS at 11/12
Actual Score: 30 (10/8/12)

cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.76

I'm really hoping to get into my state school, UMass Medical School. It's an MD program with an average MCAT score of 31-32, and sGPA of 3.65.

I have impressive EC's, but not much research experience. That said, I'm hoping to get into primary care so I'm hoping that research would not matter. Good amount of clinical experience.

Should I retake? I'm really worried about the 8 in Verbal and whether it might screen me out of interviews. Honestly, I'm not sure how to prepare for Verbal - it seems like a crapshoot, but in my practice tests I've scored consistently 10's, though I got an 8 on AAMC 9.
If I retook, I wouldn't have much practice material as I've already gone through Princeton Hyperlearning AND Examkrackers. I did both for about 6 months so I'm disappointed about Verbal.

hoping someone can help me... just got my mcat and feeling confused.

URM applying both MD and DO. NY resident
-MD: 3.3/3.1
-DO: 3.4/3.4
-MCAT: 27 (8/10/9)
-solid ECs and LORs, huge upward trend

what do I do? I'd be happy with DO, but truly wanted a shot at some MD schools, which I feel I don't have at all. I also only studied about 3 weeks due to time restraints, should I just man up and study for another month and retake, or go with this score? want to apply this cycle no matter what. thanks guys

want to apply this cycle no matter what. thanks guys

That's basically the answer to your question. It's already August. By the time you re-took the test and got your scores back you'd be really late in the cycle. What matters more to you: going MD over DO, or going this year? If the answer is "this year" then bite the bullet with the 27 and accept that your odds with allopathic are gonna be slim. If allopathic matters more, you'll more than likely have to re-take in like Oct/Nov/Jan to give yourself several months to prep and do it right the second time.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.