Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I totally bombed the 6/2 MCAT and just got scores back a few days ago. If I retake in September and get my scores back by end of October, do I still have enough time to apply this cycle? I know I'll be a little late, but its better than waiting a whole year. Applying for MD schools.

Hey. I took the mcat today and think I bombed it. Nevertheless, I voided and think I made the right decision in voiding. I would like to apply to three or four schools this year but still have to (re)take the exam. If I take in October, will that be too late to apply? I'm assuming I would have to submit AMCAs and a month or two later, the scores.

Also, if I do submit months before taking and receiving my mcat scores, and feel that I did bad on the mcat again, can I cancel my application? If so, would there be no refund? If not, how would it affect future applications or be looked at if I had no MCAT score with my application (or a poor MCAT score?

thanks!

Hey. I took the mcat today and think I bombed it. Nevertheless, I voided and think I made the right decision in voiding. I would like to apply to three or four schools this year but still have to (re)take the exam. If I take in October, will that be too late to apply? I'm assuming I would have to submit AMCAs and a month or two later, the scores.

Also, if I do submit months before taking and receiving my mcat scores, and feel that I did bad on the mcat again, can I cancel my application? If so, would there be no refund? If not, how would it affect future applications or be looked at if I had no MCAT score with my application (or a poor MCAT score?

thanks!

To be honest, October is very late. Also, why only apply to 3 or 4 schools? Very risky in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks!

The latest MCAT some schools accept is also September. I'd take my time with the exam, take it when you're ready, and kill it, and apply early next cycle! Good luck!

To be honest, October is very late. Also, why only apply to 3 or 4 schools? Very risky in my opinion.

The latest MCAT some schools accept is also September. I'd take my time with the exam, take it when you're ready, and kill it, and apply early next cycle! Good luck!

Thanks for your replies. That is what I am thinking. Do you have any suggestions for retakers?
Do you know how the scalings work?
The exam this morning was horrible for me. I average around the mid to high 20's but felt like I got a low 20 possibly even lower than 20. I think I made the right decision in voiding. But how do the scalings work? Based on other threads, it seems like the majority thought it was crazy hard compared to practice tests? ;((

I'd take my time with the exam, take it when you're ready, and kill it, and apply early next cycle! Good luck!

Yeah this is the best advice. For this cycle, we're basically past the "latest possible" MCAT date, unless you specifically confirm with the school. The first or second week of August is basically it. Any time after that and you're talking about next cycle, or you're talking about a school that you've specifically checked with who said that a really late MCAT is okay.

As for advice on re-takes, you can check out the podcast I did with medschoolhq.net here: http://medicalschoolhq.net/mshq-059-mcat-retakes-change-and-improve-to-get-the-score-you-want/

Hi,
I recently took the MCAT and got a 34 (PS 9, V 13, BS 12). I know this is a decent score, but the uneven distribution worries me (I'd be happier if it was 10, 12, 12). I was wondering how the single digit in PS would affect my application (i.e would I be screened out). I know that I can do better in the PS section (average practice score for PS was 11). I just had a blank out/existential crisis during the PS section (had to give myself a pep talk in the bathroom afterwards to convince myself to continue :/), so I am 95% sure that I can improve that section.

I know that realistically my other section scores could go down. However, if a double digit in all sections looks better than the funky distribution that I have, I am willing to chance it. Thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Do not retake it. You did just fine man. Everyone is entitled to a bad day, and having one 9 doesn't warrant a retake. Now if you want to go to an upper tier med school you might wanna retake it

Not sure if a retake is worth it at this point. My last MCAT was September 2013 where I scored a 26 (10PS/7VR/9BS). cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.4, URM, IL resident. Aiming for DO schools and a few instate MD. If I can hit 30+ for late August/early September MCAT is it worth it at this point for this cycles applications?

Hi,
This is my first post. I took the 7/12 MCAT.
AAMC average: 35
Actual: 33 (P11 V10 B12)
cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.45
Great ECA, work in a lab and have a published paper.
I would really appreciate any advice, I am signed up to take the Aug 21st test before I go back to school so I can either cancel it or take it. I felt prepared for the first test, but just walked out feeling bad about it. I have been studying before I found out so that I will still be ready to take Aug 21 test if need be. I just feel really bummed about this score because it is right on the border line and I know my GPA isn't the best.

Hi,
This is my first post. I took the 7/12 MCAT.
AAMC average: 35
cGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.45
Great ECA, work in a lab and have a published paper.
I would really appreciate any advice, I am signed up to take the Aug 21st test before I go back to school so I can either cancel it or take it. I felt prepared for the first test, but just walked out feeling bad about it. I have been studying before I found out so that I will still be ready to take Aug 21 test if need be. I just feel really bummed about this score because it is right on the border line and I know my GPA isn't the best.

Don't retake. You are just 2 points below your average and your score is balanced. It won't keep you out of med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a 29. 11-8 wtf- 10. Is it too late to retake for this cycle? GPS is 3.76 and ECs are decent. If I go ahead and apply with this score to Illinois schools, do I have a shot?

Only thing is if I retake scores will come out early October. Will that be too late for programs to consider my new score?

Members don't see this ad :)

Absolutely do not retake. Doesn't matter what you get the second time - admissions officers have said on SDN more than once that they view any student who re-takes after getting 30+ as having bad judgment (or being such grade-grubbers that they seem to think they "deserve" a 45 or something). Even if you think you could do better - even if you're absolutely 100% sure you could do better, it'll only hurt your application.

A 33's a great score and a real asset. Congrats and good luck!! :)

I got a 29. 11-8 wtf- 10. Is it too late to retake for this cycle? GPS is 3.76 and ECs are decent. If I go ahead and apply with this score to Illinois schools, do I have a shot?

you should be competitive for southern illinois, right? (avg 3.64 / 29)

Absolutely do not retake. Doesn't matter what you get the second time - admissions officers have said on SDN more than once that they view any student who re-takes after getting 30+ as having bad judgment (or being such grade-grubbers that they seem to think they "deserve" a 45 or something). Even if you think you could do better - even if you're absolutely 100% sure you could do better, it'll only hurt your application.

That's the first time that I have heard that! Admittedly, I have not read many of the admissions officers' threads on SDN but I am curious about this. Do you have any more information/links? I always thought that a 35+ score was considered competitive and you should aim for the highest score possible. Thanks for your insight!

So, I just got my scores back yesterday, and received a 7/12/8. If I had even gotten 8/12/8, I would have kept the score, but with the 7 I'm not sure.

I have a 3.45 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa, and lots of volunteer ECs, DO letter of rec, great clinical experience, etc. Also have M.S. and research in pediatric psychology, with first-author publications. Applying strictly DO.

LECOM-SH would be my dream school at the moment, given that I am a non-trad (cost), as well as SO living in Pittsburgh. However, I would certainly retake if needed to open up my options. Have studied a bit over the past month, but could kick it into gear to prepare for Sept. 18th sitting.

Any thoughts are welcome!

That is very interesting, I have never heard of that before either! Thanks! I am just torn because I know most people say do not retake with a 33, but I feel that if I was able to increase my score from 33 to 35 then my chances would go from possible admittance to probable admittance. I desperately do NOT want to apply more than once. Is there a problem with taking it again and voiding if I don't feel very confident that I have done better?

Hey guys,

I received my score from 6/13/2014, which was a 29 PS9/V9/BS11. I was originally averaging 33-35 on my aamc practice exams, but at that time I was full time studying for it (no work or school). I was hoping to get at least 30+. Is it worth it to try again? I plan on applying next cycle, but now I have a full time job to balance with it. Thanks!

I'm still a bit concerned with my 3.85ish GPA and my 26 MCAT (not URM) with a 10PS, 9BS, 7 VR. Mainly I want to get into MSU's CHM and I am currently signed up for a retake in october. But right now I still feel really burnt out and I'm not sure I will be ready for it again. I am taking it in october because I want to take it early before the change it, or if I have to take the last january one. I think these will be for the next cycle if I dont get in next year. More info is in my previous post here.

I'm still a bit concerned with my 3.85ish GPA and my 26 MCAT (not URM) with a 10PS, 9BS, 7 VR. Mainly I want to get into MSU's CHM and I am currently signed up for a retake in october. But right now I still feel really burnt out and I'm not sure I will be ready for it again. I am taking it in october because I want to take it early before the change it, or if I have to take the last january one. I think these will be for the next cycle if I dont get in next year. More info is in my previous post here.

A 26 is honestly very low for any MD school. If you're not considering DO, then definitely retake. Take it when you feel adequately prepared.

Hi all,

So I took the June MCAT and unfortunately scored a 27 (PS 7, VR 11, BS 9). I was averaging about 29-31 on my practice exams fairly consistently, never going below an 8 in any section. Choked on the PS on test day but it def was my weakest section. I'm worried that my PS is going to hold me back, but I'm also concerned that it is too late to retake. It has been 2 months since I've looked at any MCAT materials because I have been busy working, etc...I already applied and have completed most secondaries but some are on hold as I initially indicated I was going to retake around Sept/Oct. That said, I'm worried a retake might not help me much this cycle. I'm applying to both MD and DO. My GPA is good at a 3.89 and I have good letters and lots of experience. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I got same score except had 11 BS 9VR, I also have a similar gpa (3.83) I honestly think that PS section was nuts and it's also the least important section of the MCAT according to studies however 7PS is not good for either of us and I'm confident I can get better than 7 on a retake and I bet you can too at least then if you go down in the other two you've still showed you can score well in PS ,

I'm sticking it out and so should you, gpa and everything else is good, not a "bad" score this site 100% inflates everything, yah we don't have "great" chances but it's not useless, a retake is in order man but still try, it's not that bad

I got same score except had 11 BS 9VR, I also have a similar gpa (3.83) I honestly think that PS section was nuts and it's also the least important section of the MCAT according to studies however 7PS is not good for either of us and I'm confident I can get better than 7 on a retake and I bet you can too at least then if you go down in the other two you've still showed you can score well in PS ,

I'm sticking it out and so should you, gpa and everything else is good, not a "bad" score this site 100% inflates everything, yah we don't have "great" chances but it's not useless, a retake is in order man but still try, it's not that bad

I appreciate the encouragement. When are you planning to retake?

I'm retaking in late October and I'm aware that score won't be for this cycle, in cool with that, you probably hadn't got many 7s on your practice tests either, just hoping my other two don't go down much, redoing a lot of physics content and stuff. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Reposting! :)

So, I just got my scores back, and received a 7/12/8. Since I'm applying strictly DO if I had even gotten 8/12/8, I would have kept the score, but with the 7 I'm not sure.

I have a 3.45 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa, and lots of volunteer ECs, DO letter of rec, great clinical experience, etc. Also have M.S. and research in pediatric psychology, with first-author publications.

LECOM-SH would be my dream school at the moment, given that I am a non-trad (cost), as well as SO living in Pittsburgh. However, I would certainly retake if needed to open up my options. Have studied a bit over the past month, but could kick it into gear to prepare for Sept. 18th sitting.

Any advice is appreciated!

Should I consider retaking? I'm freaking out about this 24(8/6/10) now. Don't know why I wasn't earlier. I don't have any money though (spent all on apps), but I start working next week. I know the simple answer is yes, but how can I considerably improve on verbal in a short amount of time?

Should I consider retaking? I'm freaking out about this 24(8/6/10) now. Don't know why I wasn't earlier. I don't have any money though (spent all on apps), but I start working next week. I know the simple answer is yes, but how can I considerably improve on verbal in a short amount of time?

Anything lower than a 8 on a section is pretty lethal for an application.

I took the Mcat July 12th and got a 32 (11/9/12). I averaged a 35 on the practice tests. I want to retake it because I got very little sleep the nights leading up to the exam and feel like I could have done better. I also have below average ec's and a 3.85 gpa and I am applying next cycle.

I took the Mcat July 12th and got a 32 (11/9/12). I averaged a 35 on the practice tests. I want to retake it because I got very little sleep the nights leading up to the exam and feel like I could have done better. I also have below average ec's and a 3.85 gpa and I am applying next cycle.

Spend the next year working on your EC's since you're applying next cycle. 32 is a good score and I think it'll get you in a med school. You have a solid GPA.

Unless you want to go to a top school then maybe retake.

Good luck!

Pretty conflicted right now.
AAMC average: 31-35 (33) with VR at 10, and PS/BS at 11/12
Actual Score: 30 (10/8/12)

cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.76

I'm really hoping to get into my state school, UMass Medical School. It's an MD program with an average MCAT score of 31-32, and sGPA of 3.65.

I have impressive EC's, but not much research experience. That said, I'm hoping to get into primary care so I'm hoping that research would not matter. Good amount of clinical experience.

Should I retake? I'm really worried about the 8 in Verbal and whether it might screen me out of interviews. Honestly, I'm not sure how to prepare for Verbal - it seems like a crapshoot, but in my practice tests I've scored consistently 10's, though I got an 8 on AAMC 9.
If I retook, I wouldn't have much practice material as I've already gone through Princeton Hyperlearning AND Examkrackers. I did both for about 6 months so I'm disappointed about Verbal.

Your grades are good and your MCAT is okay, and if you have good EC's you have a decent shot of getting an interview. Your MCAT is in their range, however the issue is the 8 in VR which is below their 10% for accepted applicants.

Personally, I would retake because of that.

For those of you who did a retake: while you were studying for the second round, how did you deal with the fact that you already took all the AAMC exams and already knew the questions? Wouldn't that make it less accurate to gauge your improvement? Especially since AAMC does not release that many new tests

Got scores back today and I got 31 (PS 9, V 8, BS 14).

What are the chances I even get looked at with a verbal score of 8? (For Canadian schools, or a Canadian applying to an American school).

Think I need to rewrite?

PS 8, V 13, BS 12 reporting in here with two interview invites so far. I regret that top 10 schools aren't really in reach for me, but I honestly think I am in a fine place, as are you. It always stings not to do as well as you know you might have, though. :(

Thanks dude! I was thinking I needed to rewrite just to interview anywhere, but it's great to hear that someone else with my (exact) score is doing okay. I hate PS. Where are the interviews at if I may ask :]

Thanks dude! I was thinking I needed to rewrite just to interview anywhere, but it's great to hear that someone else with my (exact) score is doing okay. I hate PS. Where are the interviews at if I may ask :]
Georgetown and my state school! I was complete by end of July at both of them. Silence on the other 13 apps, but I wasn't complete on a few of them until last week. I am also aiming at GW, VCU, the Philly schools, the reachable Chicago schools, Hofstra, Tulane, Boston, JHU and Mayo. Those last two are just for chips and giggles and because I have a great research profile, so maybe someone will actually look at my app. Best of luck to you!

3.75 overall 3.8 science with a 29 (10ps 9vr 10bs) with decent ec's. Should I retake?

Practice AAMC avg? But honestly if your EC's are decent, I think you can get in somewhere, especially DO schools. Are you applying next cycle?

Practice AAMC avg? But honestly if your EC's are decent, I think you can get in somewhere, especially DO schools. Are you applying next cycle?
My average was a 30 but my vr average was actually lower than a 9 so I'm worried about it dropping if I retake. I've already applied this cycle and would like to see if I get in before retaking but also don't want to take the new MCAT.

My average was a 30 but my vr average was actually lower than a 9 so I'm worried about it dropping if I retake. I've already applied this cycle and would like to see if I get in before retaking but also don't want to take the new MCAT.

Okay so a 29 was pretty reasonable given your AAMC average. I think as long as you've got a reasonable school list you'll get in. A retake at this point would be pretty late and I'd advise against that.

Hello All,
I got my scores back and got a 26 (8,8,10). My GPA is 3.92 and sGPA is 3.89. I was sure about retaking earlier, but after taking multiple practice tests, my verbal and physical always stay in the 8-9 range. I'm scared that if I retake, I would just get the same (or lower score). Also, I'm scared about being pushed back too late in the application cycle. Any advice?

Hello All,
I got my scores back and got a 26 (8,8,10). My GPA is 3.92 and sGPA is 3.89. I was sure about retaking earlier, but after taking multiple practice tests, my verbal and physical always stay in the 8-9 range. I'm scared that if I retake, I would just get the same (or lower score). Also, I'm scared about being pushed back too late in the application cycle. Any advice?

Impressive GPA.

May get DO interviews; probably not MD.

A retake at this point is pretty late for this cycle.

Hello All,

we're almost in the same boat... your gpa is like .1 higher lol

Should I retake?

8-8-10
Postbac gpa: 4.0
UGPA: 3.9

I went to law school after college and graduated before starting postbac. My first test was 22. My AAMC average is 26-31. Thoughts?

I already know I need to retake. I am posting to see if anyone can tell me what to expect.

Total: 28
PS: 11 VR: 7 BS: 10

Practice tests, in the order I took them(PS/VR/BS):
  • 3 | 30 10/10/10
  • 4 | 32 12/12/8
  • 5 | 31 10/10/11
  • 7 | 31 11/8/12
  • 8 | 32 11/10/11
  • 9 | 34 12/10/12
  • 11 | 35 11/12/12
  • 10 |29 10/8/11
Everything was going so well until that final practice test. My verbal is all over the place and it is what nailed me this time around.

Should I retake?
PS 12 V 11 BS 12 total 35
BUT!!! I'm an international student, and most schools that I am aiming for have an average of 36+

Status
Not open for further replies.