Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
3.85/34 is great stats. If you're weak in your clinical ECs, improve your clinical ECs instead of retaking the things you're better than average in.

gpa: 3.9 mcat: (10/07/11)=28. I averaged a 7.6 on VR in the FL's, and a 26.5 overall. Please help, what should I do? Thanks

gpa: 3.9 mcat: (10/07/11)=28. I averaged a 7.6 on VR in the FL's, and a 26.5 overall. Please help, what should I do? Thanks

Your actual score is above your average, do not retake.

Apply to DO schools and some MD schools.

Invest in an MSAR. It'll be helpful.

BTW, very good GPA!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since no one responded I'm reposting
Hey everyone, I'm Canadian and I'm looking into American schools.

My stats are as follows:

Canadian GPA: 3.94
American GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14/8/15 (my verbal actually disqualifies me from most Canadian schools and I was wondering if the same applies to the States)

Strong ECs (working with special needs children, French summer camp, mental health and elderly in-house visitations, provincial public health services)

Strong Research (wet laboratory work accompanied with a poster presentation and an abstract though more will follow, systematic review submitted, working in pediatric plastic surgery)

Poor to Mediocre awards (only a research scholarship and a university entrance scholarship)

I'm considering if a rewrite is worth it to stay in Canada. I'm currently scheduled to write Jan 8th.

Last edited:
Since no one responded I'm reposting

As far as I know, an 8 won't be screened out at a lot of universities in the States; however, it won't be immensely competitive. I know for my home-state medical school, UNMC, they generally screen out any sub-9 scores. But I think have your score and GPA makes the situation a bit different.

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 30 (13/6/11)

FL AAMC Average: 32
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 32
Section Averages: ~ 12/8/11

All EC's (research, clinical and nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, etc) are strong and LORs are expected to be strong as well.

Is a 6 in VR absolutely, 100% lethal for all U.S. allopathic programs, meaning that they will not look at my application? Are there any schools that will look at the total score along with the rest of my application and would be willing to overlook this low section? Or am I just better off retaking the exam?

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 30 (13/6/11)

FL AAMC Average: 32
AAMC 10-11 Avg.: 32
Section Averages: ~ 12/8/11

All EC's (research, clinical and nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, etc) are strong and LORs are expected to be strong as well.

Is a 6 in VR absolutely, 100% lethal for all U.S. allopathic programs, meaning that they will not look at my application? Are there any schools that will look at the total score along with the rest of my application and would be willing to overlook this low section? Or am I just better off retaking the exam?

Unfortunately, I'd say you have to retake. Just my opinion. Get that verbal up to an 8, and they should be willing to accept it.

GPA = 3.7ish (engineering)
MCAT: 32 (12/9/11) - was getting 13's in PS on TPR and 14s on AAMC. Oct 25th PS was rough

ECs: Have decent shadowing and research. Not the best but they will do. Not too much volunteering except for during HS.
I'm applying next cycle.

GPA = 3.7ish (engineering)
MCAT: 32 (12/9/11) - was getting 13's in PS on TPR and 14s on AAMC. Oct 25th PS was rough

ECs: Have decent shadowing and research. Not the best but they will do. Not too much volunteering except for during HS.
I'm applying next cycle.

I wouldn't. Retaking to get 2-3 points higher from a 32 is too risky. You could go down or get the same score again. Your score isn't gonna keep you out of med school.

Yes, you are right. But I gotta tell the original poster, you studied for 2 weeks once and should've learned your mistake...if you are going to retake, I'd give yourself more time than just 4 weeks. Most people here have studied for at least 2 months, and 3-4 months seems to be the average. Besides, if you DO have an interest in top schools and are retaking for that reason, it's important to note that many top schools don't have rolling admissions, so it's best to take your time and prepare to the best of your ability rather than rush into things - you are not going to gain anything there by applying early.
I agree, I also think a lot depends on what future aspirations and options they may want. If they want to do research or stay in academia then they should set they're sights on the best school they can possibly get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, was wondering if I could get some advice from everyone here. I was speaking to an HPSP recruiter who said that I would need to have 8s across to qualify for HPSP. According to my practice exams, my range appears to be anything from a 25 - 30.

1st MCAT: 7ps/10vr/8bs

My apps are still under review at the DO schools I've applied to so if I retake to try and get 8s across the board in January, do I have to report if my scores happen to drop? Reasonably, I think I could raise my score by 2-3 points at best. I'm just not very good at standardized exams sadly so I'm not hoping for something like an 8 point change.

Guys I need advice ! Just got MCAT scores back. 28 (VR 8, PS 11, BS 9). My goal is to apply in the upcoming 2015-16 cycle. My college GPA is 3.5 - 3.6. I went to a community college first and then a public university in California. I have pretty decent extracurricular activities (volunteering in hospitals, shadowing, etc). Should I retake the MCAT or just go for it and hope I will get in somewhere (MD schools) ? If I do retake it, should I try to get a spot in January 2015 or just wait a few more months to take the new one ? Thanks !
have you decided if you are going to retake?

Hey everyone, I wasn't going to ask this question, but talking to other medical students (3rd/4th year guys) has got me thinking twice...

I took the Oct. 21st test and got a 29 (8/11/10), which isn't the worst, but my AAMC average after taking all 8 of their full lengths is 33, with my lowest being a 31 and highest being a 35. At first I immediately thought I should retake; the exam seemed unlike any of the AAMC tests and played against basically all of my strengths, and my score was not even close to my AAMC average, nor was it even inside the range of my AAMC attempts, and was actually 2 full points below my first (and worst) attempt. I was a little disappointed with both my bio and verbal scores, which are normally 11ish for bio and 12 or more for verbal, which is my strong suit. But of course the major hit was my physical science section, which is normally 10 or 11. So I was thinking "of course I'm going to retake!"

However, I've been told it might be something of a gamble. What if I get a similar score, the same score, or an even worse one? Sure a 29 ain't gold, but it's not the worst, and at least I KNOW what it is, unlike the score I might get on a retake. I have a 3.5 science GPA and about the same cumulative, maybe 3.6, which aren't stunning, so some of the people I talked to mentioned I might just aim at the lower end U.S. schools and hope for the best. Am I "reaching too high" trying for a re-take in January? At first I thought there was no question because my score was pretty far from my average, but now I'm starting to wonder how much of a risk I'm really getting myself into, especially because I'm taking a full time job soon and won't be able to study like I did for Oct. 21st.

The optimistic side of me sees my score as a fluke, because it was so different from my AAMC numbers, but the pessimist sees the very real risk of doing even worse on the second go around... ah, I just don't know! Thoughts?
I have seen a decent people on these threads with 28-29 MCAT have a good amount (3+) of interviews. You can pull off a good amount of interviews with that if you have above average EC's and apply early and broadly. I can see why you want to retake. N=1, but I have a friend who retook a 29, got a 29 again, and doesn't have any IIs. She also submitted most apps in sept so she didn't help her case. Only if you're scoring 33+ on practice tests imo

Hey guys....I got my Nov 7 score back. 7PS 8VR and 10BS (25 overall). I'm definitely going to retake it. But need some advice! There's a seat on Jan 8th for the old MCAT....should I bother signing up for it? Or wait until the new MCAT comes out in march?

Hey guys....I got my Nov 7 score back. 7PS 8VR and 10BS (25 overall). I'm definitely going to retake it. But need some advice! There's a seat on Jan 8th for the old MCAT....should I bother signing up for it? Or wait until the new MCAT comes out in march?

Depends on how you feel about taking a longer test that includes behavioral science questions.

Personally I'd take the old one; just my two cents. 4 hours is long enough for me.

I just got my MCAT scores back and I only got a 25 (VR-10, BS-9, PS-6). My undergraduate GPA was on the lower side (3.2). I feel like by the numbers I'm a very sub par applicant.

However, I have done so many other things relating to pursuing a MD degree, proving to myself and hopefully an admissions committee that I'm committed to this. Activities: volunteering at a hospital ER for 3 years, getting my first responder certification to respond to on campus medical emergencies, biology honor society president, and job shadows/informational interviews. I'm currently working in clinical research at an academic teaching hospital and taking a class to get my medical interpreter certification because I would love to practice in Spanish. I have also done too many things to count that aren't directly related to medicine but have shaped who I am as a person and how I interact with others - a few examples: studied abroad twice, organized the entire family weekend program for my university, joined a sorority and took on significant leadership roles, served as a Resident Assistant, undergraduate research with a Biology professor completing my a self designed project, among many other things.

I fall in to the below gray area.... THOUGHTS?​

-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

I just got my MCAT scores back and I only got a 25 (VR-10, BS-9, PS-6). My undergraduate GPA was on the lower side (3.2). I feel like by the numbers I'm a very sub par applicant.

However, I have done so many other things relating to pursuing a MD degree, proving to myself and hopefully an admissions committee that I'm committed to this. Activities: volunteering at a hospital ER for 3 years, getting my first responder certification to respond to on campus medical emergencies, biology honor society president, and job shadows/informational interviews. I'm currently working in clinical research at an academic teaching hospital and taking a class to get my medical interpreter certification because I would love to practice in Spanish. I have also done too many things to count that aren't directly related to medicine but have shaped who I am as a person and how I interact with others - a few examples: studied abroad twice, organized the entire family weekend program for my university, joined a sorority and took on significant leadership roles, served as a Resident Assistant, undergraduate research with a Biology professor completing my a self designed project, among many other things.

I fall in to the below gray area.... THOUGHTS?​

I would retake, especially because of that 6.

Med schools want to know whether an applicant can handle all the studying.

Someone can have as many extracurricular activities as he or she wants, but numbers still matter. Numbers matter a lot.

Hello, I'm wondering if I should retake. I got a 29
10 VR 10BS 9PS
MY GPA is 3.6 and I have plenty of shadowing and research experience. My main goal is to go to an MD school but willing to apply to a DO school. The advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Hello, I'm wondering if I should retake. I got a 29
10 VR 10BS 9PS
MY GPA is 3.6 and I have plenty of shadowing and research experience. My main goal is to go to an MD school but willing to apply to a DO school. The advice is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

I wouldn't retake if I were you. A 29 isn't bad.

By applying smartly, you can get into an MD school.

For DO schools, I am fairly certain that you're in good shape.

Wondering if I should retake (again). First attempt one year ago: 7/8/8 (23). This november, 8/10/11 (29). Strong GPA and ECs, tons of research experience along with a ton of tutoring and TA experience. Please help me out! I really want MD. Willing to apply to 30+ schools to make it happen.
I don't think your MCAT score will prevent you from getting in to an MD school. From what you just said you seem pretty well rounded. Just be prepared to apply for more thAn one cycle. Have u considered any SMP programs?

Got a 28 on the Nov 7th test (7 PS/11 VR/10 BS), my GPA is pretty good at about 3.7 sGPA and 3.8 cGPA with decent EC's (shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.). I've seen people mention before that a sub 8 score on a section would get screened out but I'm not sure if that's definitely true.

I don't live in a state with a school that gives preference and according to the MSAR even lower MCAT score MD schools who accept a decent amount of OOS applicants, a 28 falls at about the 10th percentile for accepted students.

I also would probably have to take the new MCAT, without any seats open in my area plus only a month until I'd have to retake. With that 7 in PS would I almost certainly have to retake to be considered at any MD schools? I am fine with applying DO as well.

I think you should retake. First time I wrote I got 7 in verbal. Retook and brought it up to a 10. I think some schools screen but you'd ideally want it at least 9

Retake or not?

UGPA: 3.0
SGPA: 3.2
MS GPA: 3.75

MCAT: (9PS/10VR/10BS) 29 -- My AAMC average was 32 with my PS being 11-12

I am signed up to take the exam again Jan. 8 as of now

Retake or not worth the risk?

11/7/14 test
32=11/9/12

CGPA = 3.90
SGPA = 3.89

With that score, I feel like a cookie cutter applicant...good grades, good gpa, work as a scribe, hands-on clinical volunteer work, was a TA, etc etc. I dont stand out and that 32 doesnt help the situation at all.

Hoping to get into a Texas school, and whatever chance I had at UTSW seems to be gone with that 32.

Took all the practice AAMCs and scored 36+on all of them (PS ranged 13-15, VR 9-11 got a 9 only on one test, BS 13-15) . Incredibly heartbroken by this 32. PS was pretty tough, so I thought I bombed it..and considering that I was also super nervous during that section, I'm actually happy to see I got an 11. Probably could have gotten a 12 if I wasnt so nervous.

Bio at 12 sounds fair considering I thought BS was a tougher than the practice exams.

What I'm worried about is that 9 in verbal. VR has always been my lowest score. But usually at a 10 or 11. I honestly thought the 11/7 test was very generous with the verbal bc the passages were not hard to read, interesting, etc. Therefore, I dont know how I cpuld raise that score without relying on lucky guesses. I was hoping I got a 10 or 11.

Last edited:
Retake or not worth the risk?

11/7/14 test
32=11/9/12

CGPA = 3.90
SGPA = 3.89

With that score, I feel like a cookie cutter applicant...good grades, good gpa, work as a scribe, hands-on clinical volunteer work, was a TA, etc etc. I dont stand out and that 32 doesnt help the situation at all.

Hoping to get into a Texas school, and whatever chance I had at UTSW seems to be gone with that 32.

Took all the practice AAMCs and scored 36+on all of them (PS ranged 13-15, VR 9-11 got a 9 only on one test, BS 13-15) . Incredibly heartbroken by this 32. PS was pretty tough, so I thought I bombed it..and considering that I was also super nervous during that section, I'm actually happy to see I got an 11. Probably could have gotten a 12 if I wasnt so nervous.

Bio at 12 sounds fair considering I thought BS was a tougher than the practice exams.

What I'm worried about is that 9 in verbal. VR has always been my lowest score. But usually at a 10 or 11. I honestly thought the 11/7 test was very generous with the verbal bc the passages were not hard to read, interesting, etc. Therefore, I dont know how I cpuld raise that score without relying on lucky guesses. I was hoping I got a 10 or 11.
Are you a Texas resident? If so, you are all but guaranteed to gain admission at a Texas school with your current stats. Baylor might be slightly more difficult given their average MCAT is 35. (https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/faq)

For matriculants, the average MCAT for UTSW is 33.87 with an average GPA of 3.85 (http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/medical-school/admissions/our-students.html). You are well within an acceptable range for admission to UTSW.

I do not think the 9 in VR is a deal breaker. Do not retake.

Are you a Texas resident? If so, you are all but guaranteed to gain admission at a Texas school with your current stats. Baylor might be slightly more difficult given their average MCAT is 35. (https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/faq)

For matriculants, the average MCAT for UTSW is 33.87 with an average GPA of 3.85 (http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/education/medical-school/admissions/our-students.html). You are well within an acceptable range for admission to UTSW.

I do not think the 9 in VR is a deal breaker. Do not retake.

Yep, I'm a Texas resident! So far, I've had my eyes set on Texas A&M with UTSW or Baylor as "higher goals" (Although honestly I'm more UTSW >> Baylor).

I hope you're right. :/ Your answer has made me feel better and made me feel more comfortable about not retaking. The thought of a retake is very exhausting, and I don't know if I even have the energy or motivation to study for it again. Especially since I don't see what I could do differently. Utilized a lot of resources the first time around and since my practice AAMCs were 36+, it felt like I was on the right track.

I just feel horrible. Never cried over a test, but I definitely have been for this one lol!

Hoping I can do a good job on my personal statement and essays. LORs I'm not too worried about.

Thank you so much for your time, your reply, and for even posting links, LChristmas. Congrats on being a part TCOM Classs of 2019 :D. Nice to see a fellow Texan reply to me haha.

Yep, I'm a Texas resident! So far, I've had my eyes set on Texas A&M with UTSW or Baylor as "higher goals" (Although honestly I'm more UTSW >> Baylor).

I hope you're right. :/ Your answer has made me feel better and made me feel more comfortable about not retaking. The thought of a retake is very exhausting, and I don't know if I even have the energy or motivation to study for it again. Especially since I don't see what I could do differently. Utilized a lot of resources the first time around and since my practice AAMCs were 36+, it felt like I was on the right track.

I just feel horrible. Never cried over a test, but I definitely have been for this one lol!

Hoping I can do a good job on my personal statement and essays. LORs I'm not too worried about.

Thank you so much for your time, your reply, and for even posting links, LChristmas. Congrats on being a part TCOM Classs of 2019 :D. Nice to see a fellow Texan reply to me haha.

The motivation for studying for it all over again is the often unmentioned, most difficult part of the retake, so I'm happy you recognize that as well! My only contention with you would be Baylor > UTSW >> A&M. Baylor students consistently have average board score that are near the best in the country. A&M is making a big change in the curriculum so we will have to see how it works out for the next entering class. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions regarding TX schools. Good luck next cycle!!

For Vandy or Duke med:

I took the MCAT back in August and ended up with a 36 (14B/13P/9V.)

I'm wondering if I should retake if my average MCAT verbal is an 11-12, and I'm very confident if I retook the MCAT I could pull that off. I'm worried that my other two scores will drop though, because I only have 3 weeks to restudy for the MCAT after finals before my new test date, Jan. 10. For a school like Vandy or Duke, do you think it's worth retaking? I know for sure that Vandy superscores the MCAT as well, but I'm not sure how many top schools do.

Would my verbal score be viewed as just a fluke/mess up on my part and is it really worth retaking and taking the risk of my overall score dropping but verbal going up?

GPA is 3.9/4 and solid overall application otherwise.

For Vandy or Duke med:

I took the MCAT back in August and ended up with a 36 (14B/13P/9V.)

I'm wondering if I should retake if my average MCAT verbal is an 11-12, and I'm very confident if I retook the MCAT I could pull that off. I'm worried that my other two scores will drop though, because I only have 3 weeks to restudy for the MCAT after finals before my new test date, Jan. 10. For a school like Vandy or Duke, do you think it's worth retaking? I know for sure that Vandy superscores the MCAT as well, but I'm not sure how many top schools do.

Would my verbal score be viewed as just a fluke/mess up on my part and is it really worth retaking and taking the risk of my overall score dropping but verbal going up?

GPA is 3.9/4 and solid overall application otherwise.

you'd be insane to retake. your score is fantastic, and won't hold you back from anywhere. congrats on a great score, and good luck

Retake or not?

UGPA: 3.0
SGPA: 3.2
MS GPA: 3.75

MCAT: (9PS/10VR/10BS) 29 -- My AAMC average was 32 with my PS being 11-12

I am signed up to take the exam again Jan. 8 as of now

Anyone with an opinion? I feel like this puts me in a grey area especially for MD programs. My state school avg. is 32.

Anyone with an opinion? I feel like this puts me in a grey area especially for MD programs. My state school avg. is 32.

I probably would take the test, and take a bunch of practice tests in between. If you feel that you have done better on the Jan 8th test, then go with that and have it scored. If you feel however, that you have done worse, had a headache, completely blindsided etc,, then void it. The next big consideration in that case is whether to take the new test, because that would require both significant time and money.

I probably would take the test, and take a bunch of practice tests in between.

This is my thought as well. If I can achieve the same practice tests scores as I was before, I don't see why I couldn't do better. In the end I can always void. Thinking about studying for the 2015 exam makes me cringe.

Hey guys,

I'm also on the "should I retake list?". I took my MCAT on Oct. 2014

8-PS
8-VR
11-BS

Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.81

I want to apply for the 2016 cycle, but I have to wait to take Biochemistry either in Summer or next Fall.

As far as EC's...

-I'm involved as a peer tutor at my undergrad (FIU) for General Chemistry and Biology students
-I'm an emergency room scribe at a hospital
-I'm going to begin research this semester
-I'm a volunteer at a hospital with 100+hours

Should I retake the new MCAT and focus on my EC's and apply for 2017 cycle? Or apply for 2016 cycle while taking the latest 2015 exam they'll allow for 2016 admission?

My hope is to gain entrance at a Florida MD school (UF, UM, FIU, USF, etc)

Last edited:
@yane4000 Hmm.. That one is a toss up that ultimately you will have to decide. Really solid gpa, less solid mcat. The gpa vs mcat chart puts you at about a 61% chance of getting in somewhere. If I were in that situation, I would probably wait a year, because the process of applying in general is rather time and money intensive, and then approach it again from a stronger standpoint. But if you do apply, you could potentially get in as it stands.

Reactions: 1 users
so I am retaking the mcat in one month exactly and am trying to find the best method with time in mind. Please don't respond with everyone has their own methods even though it is true. I guess I am still finding my method. I have been looking around and since I only have the EK hard copy (and Kaplan), I am thinking about just using EK and supplementing it with Chad videos (only $50). On top of those, I will do EK 101 verbal and the full lengths Kaplan has to offer. Since I only have amonth, I want to put a lot more emphasis on practice as opposed to last time. Any thoughts or suggestions for this plan?

I really need to improve on verbal. But orgo is weak too but since it is usually only a passage, I won't worry as much. Any thoughts!!

I'm a non-traditional student who's been lurking for a while now. I thought I'd finally get some feedback.

MCAT Info
AAMC 9: (13/10/15) : 38
AAMC 10: (11/14/11): 36

(Took last 3 the week before actual MCAT)
AAMC 7: (13/13/12) : 38
AAMC 8: (14/14/12): 40
AAMC 11: (11/12/11): 34

AAMC Average: 37.2
AAMC 9-11 Average: 36

ACTUAL (October) MCAT: (12/12/10): 34
(shocked at 10 in bio)
Overall, thought the actual MCAT was going terrible. estimated a 30-33. Ran out of time on the bio section, which never happened on any section on the practice tests. Had to guess on 3 and didn't get to 1 before time ran out.

I've read the internal debates over whether or not to retake a 34 or not, but I am unsure as to how competitive I am, given my academic record and ECs.

Academic Record
  • Same top 20 public school (top 50 overall) for both undergrad and grad
  • Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (Engineering unrelated to medical field)
  • Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering
  • Graduate GPA: 3.87
  • Total BCMP GPA: 3.57 - 3.63 (best I can estimate, based on AMCAS resources, only includes undergrad classes taken during undergrad and graduate school. Does include upper division math courses)
  • Undergrad pre-reqs taken during grad school GPA: 3.81
ECs
  • 6 internships for gov't (doing electrical engineering/computer science work) during undergrad and grad school
  • 0 pubs from grad school (yes, it happens and is more common than one would think)
  • Shadowed pediatric oncologist 60+ hours (as part of grad program)
  • Shadowed pediatric surgeon 60+ hours (as part of grad program)
  • Biomed. Eng. Society officer 4 years during grad school, including President. Small group, but fairly active
Work Experience
  • 4.5+ years working for gov't and heavily involved with medical products. I work very closely with physicians, surgeons, and scientists dealing with medical products, clinical trials, etc.

Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm a non-traditional student who's been lurking for a while now. I thought I'd finally get some feedback.

MCAT Info
AAMC 9: (13/10/15) : 38
AAMC 10: (11/14/11): 36

(Took last 3 the week before actual MCAT)
AAMC 7: (13/13/12) : 38
AAMC 8: (14/14/12): 40
AAMC 11: (11/12/11): 34

AAMC Average: 37.2
AAMC 9-11 Average: 36

ACTUAL (October) MCAT: (12/12/10): 34
(shocked at 10 in bio)
Overall, thought the actual MCAT was going terrible. estimated a 30-33. Ran out of time on the bio section, which never happened on any section on the practice tests. Had to guess on 3 and didn't get to 1 before time ran out.

I've read the internal debates over whether or not to retake a 34 or not, but I am unsure as to how competitive I am, given my academic record and ECs.

Academic Record
  • Same top 20 public school (top 50 overall) for both undergrad and grad
  • Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (Engineering unrelated to medical field)
  • Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering
  • Graduate GPA: 3.87
  • Total BCMP GPA: 3.57 - 3.63 (best I can estimate, based on AMCAS resources, only includes undergrad classes taken during undergrad and graduate school. Does include upper division math courses)
  • Undergrad pre-reqs taken during grad school GPA: 3.81
ECs
  • 6 internships for gov't (doing electrical engineering/computer science work) during undergrad and grad school
  • 0 pubs from grad school (yes, it happens and is more common than one would think)
  • Shadowed pediatric oncologist 60+ hours (as part of grad program)
  • Shadowed pediatric surgeon 60+ hours (as part of grad program)
  • Biomed. Eng. Society officer 4 years during grad school, including President. Small group, but fairly active
Work Experience
  • 4.5+ years working for gov't and heavily involved with medical products. I work very closely with physicians, surgeons, and scientists dealing with medical products, clinical trials, etc.

Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated!
You are the eighth person I know who ended up with a 34, while averaging 38+ on the AAMC practice tests. It does not surprise me because above a 90th percentile, the number of question you got wrong really takes a toll on the scaled score.
I don't know about your professional goals or personality, but I got a 34 on an October exam as well and decided to stick with it (it is already a 90+ percentile).
My time is better spent working on other areas of my application package.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT November 7th and got a 29, 10PS/9VR/10BS
cGPA will be around 3.57
sGPA probably 3.45 ish
Tons of ECs, average shadowing/volunteering, summer internship at a great hospital.
Senior, will be taking a gap year.
I really want a shot at MD schools. I'm also applying to SMPs/record enhancing post-baccs for my gap year.
No in-state schools unfortunately.
At this point, I would have to take the new MCAT, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it or know how adcoms will interpret that (I don't think anyone really knows).
Any advice is great appreciated!

I got a 12 PS/6 VR/12 BS in the 10/21 test. I had been busy with finals the first couple weeks of Dec. so couldn't do much. But is it feasible to retake in late Jan? I was seriously shooting for a 37 and had AAMC FL averages of 36-37 with same distribution in the 5 tests leading up to test day: 14 PS/ 9-10 VR/ 13 BS.
I think the VR I can partially attribute to being thrown off by the PS section but primarily my lack of ability.
Is there any way I could raise it in a month to about 10 or should I consider new MCAT? My sciences still feel pretty solid based on the EK and Kaplan practice I've done recently.
If feasible, what would be an example schedule look like in general? I was just gonna take 6-7 VR passages and 15-20 science ones all timed daily and do some old Kaplan FLs along with redoing recent AAMCs.
Thanks.

I got a 12 PS/6 VR/12 BS in the 10/21 test. I had been busy with finals the first couple weeks of Dec. so couldn't do much. But is it feasible to retake in late Jan? I was seriously shooting for a 37 and had AAMC FL averages of 36-37 with same distribution in the 5 tests leading up to test day: 14 PS/ 9-10 VR/ 13 BS.
I think the VR I can partially attribute to being thrown off by the PS section but primarily my lack of ability.
Is there any way I could raise it in a month to about 10 or should I consider new MCAT? My sciences still feel pretty solid based on the EK and Kaplan practice I've done recently.
If feasible, what would be an example schedule look like in general? I was just gonna take 6-7 VR passages and 15-20 science ones all timed daily and do some old Kaplan FLs along with redoing recent AAMCs.
Thanks.

If you're fine with DO schools, you do not need to retake.
If you only want to go MD, it would be best to retake to get a higher verbal score to at least a 9. The risk of doing a retake is that your PS and BS scores could go down, and even your verbal might not improve or get even worse!
So to prepare for a retake, make sure you do a few verbal passages timed a day. Of course do some review of your PS and BS content and do some questions. I would take a practice test once a week at the same time of day when you will take your MCAT (ie. if MCAT is on a Saturday at 8am, take the practice tests on Saturdays at 8am and imitate the test scenario--no food or drink except during breaks, use earplugs). Most importantly, review your verbal mistakes each day. It can be easy to forget your mistakes and then later you do the same mistakes on the future tests.
Make sure you get enough exercise and rest for the beast of an MCAT! My first MCAT was a 28 (PS 11/ VR 7/ BS 10) and my retake was a 33 (13/9/11). Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.