Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm considering retaking and would like opinions.

C/P: 130
CARS: 125
B/B: 128
P/S: 129
Overall: 512

I had almost no sleep the two nights before the exam and I think my CARS score suffered greatly because of it. My CARS scores were a lot better throughout my practice exams and I am confident that I could score much higher than I did. I'm reasonably happy with my scores in the other sections, but I could maybe improve those scores slightly as well and I don't see myself regressing in any area. I have a ~3.8 GPA with very strong research, ECs, shadowing, letters, etc. I'm surely competitive for many schools, but I know a significantly improved MCAT score would make me a strong applicant for top schools, which is my goal.

C/P: 131
CARS: 123
BB: 126
P/S: 125
Overall: 505

I have a 3.7 cgpa with a ton of volunteer hours (100+ recovery and OR clinical hours, and a bunch from volunteering at my church for years). I am currently unemployed, but I am a volunteer research associate in one of my former professor's drug addiction lab and will be getting published on a paper in April, right before the AMCAS is launched. Looking to apply to both MD and DO schools. The scores above were my third time writing (previous two were 21s each). Need to retake for MD schools?

C/P: 126
CARS: 125
P/S: 127
Overall: 504

Have a cGPA of 3.3 with tons of ECs (hundreds of volunteer service at Miami Children's Hospital (now Nicklaus Children's Hospital) as well as have almost 2 years experience working with ER doctors as a medical Scribe, and have a good number of doctors willing to give me letters of recommendation. I feel as if the score is good enough for DO, but might put me in the realm of longshot for MD. Probably going to retake it on April, but looking for feedback. My focus is going to be for DO schools, but I am planning on applying to all of my public state Schools (Florida).

Thanks in advanced! All feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
C/P: 123, CARS: 123, BB: 122, P/S: 124
Overall: 492

3.6 GPA

Hello,

So I applied for this current cycle (2016) as soon as I could in June right after I took the MCAT.

That being said, I studied with the in-person Kaplan course, but still ended up with a 492 when all was said and done. I did whatever I could and really committed but even then, I still think it was just a waste of money in the end.

The second section for the actual test I must admit I was feeling stupidly hungry, and wasn't ready for the absolutely draining effect it had on me even though I had snacks and food prepared.

Thankfully, I would take practice tests every Saturday so the timing nor the endurance wasn't a huge issue, but its just sad to not even break 500.

I really tried to balance studying and AmeriCorps and feel like I don't know what to do at this point. My secondaries are in through the FAP program for the major MD schools, and I paid for all 3 DO schools myself with the secondary apps / fees since the stupid deadline was absolutely slim to begin with, and have yet to hear back from anyone except that its under current review.

What's even compounding the fact is that another AmeriCorps coworker has already had like 15 interviews, and got in to 2 schools.

I have been thinking about retaking the MCAT in April, but am kind of hesitant if the SNP route is needed.

On a very realistic side note though, I am working in public health as an AmeriCorps but feel like so many other rich kids in the same boat are getting interview after interview, and are accepted one after another, even in my program. The whole process so far has been making me completely jaded as a low income white male, and makes me absolutely bitter since I want to do this to fulfill the gap I see every single day at the health center I work at that is always losing consistent primary care providers.

On a personal note, I grew up in a single parent family, but still managed to even get a 3.6 GPA in undergrad, so I'm honestly sitting here wondering why nothing ever has worked out so far.

Living under the low AmeriCorps stipend has been a huge burden in NYC, and I just can't relate to how good others in my program have it. That being said, if anyone has advice to any extent, I'd really appreciate it because this is seemingly hopeless at this point.

Does anyone know any good linked SNP's or study schedules to help kill this test again in April?

The only positive thing that has been keeping me going is my own band as well as doing DIY gigs around NYC, but even then, that doesn't really make money at all. The lack of keeping friends isn't helping either :(. Especially since most of the ones even attempting this route are either grandfathered into it since their parents are doctors, or they're from pretty wealthy families.

Regardless, my score was 492 so it blowed in comparison to most people I know:

C/P: 123, CARS: 123, BB: 122, P/S: 124
Overall: 492

3.6 GPA

Hello,

So I applied for this current cycle (2016) as soon as I could in June right after I took the MCAT.

That being said, I studied with the in-person Kaplan course, but still ended up with a 492 when all was said and done. I did whatever I could and really committed but even then, I still think it was just a waste of money in the end.

The second section for the actual test I must admit I was feeling stupidly hungry, and wasn't ready for the absolutely draining effect it had on me even though I had snacks and food prepared.

Thankfully, I would take practice tests every Saturday so the timing nor the endurance wasn't a huge issue, but its just sad to not even break 500.

I really tried to balance studying and AmeriCorps and feel like I don't know what to do at this point. My secondaries are in through the FAP program for the major MD schools, and I paid for all 3 DO schools myself with the secondary apps / fees since the stupid deadline was absolutely slim to begin with, and have yet to hear back from anyone except that its under current review.

What's even compounding the fact is that another AmeriCorps coworker has already had like 15 interviews, and got in to 2 schools.

I have been thinking about retaking the MCAT in April, but am kind of hesitant if the SNP route is needed.

On a very realistic side note though, I am working in public health as an AmeriCorps but feel like so many other rich kids in the same boat are getting interview after interview, and are accepted one after another, even in my program. The whole process so far has been making me completely jaded as a low income white male, and makes me absolutely bitter since I want to do this to fulfill the gap I see every single day at the health center I work at that is always losing consistent primary care providers.

On a personal note, I grew up in a single parent family, but still managed to even get a 3.6 GPA in undergrad, so I'm honestly sitting here wondering why nothing ever has worked out so far.

Living under the low AmeriCorps stipend has been a huge burden in NYC, and I just can't relate to how good others in my program have it. That being said, if anyone has advice to any extent, I'd really appreciate it because this is seemingly hopeless at this point.

Does anyone know any good linked SNP's or study schedules to help kill this test again in April?

The only positive thing that has been keeping me going is my own band as well as doing DIY gigs around NYC, but even then, that doesn't really make money at all. The lack of keeping friends isn't helping either :(. Especially since most of the ones even attempting this route are either grandfathered into it since their parents are doctors, or they're from pretty wealthy families.

Regardless, my score was 492 so it blowed in comparison to most people I know:
Your GPA isn't holding you back. Your MCAT is. Most DO schools won't even consider a score under 500. And I strongly suggest losing that chip on your shoulder and checking your sense of entitlement. You keep referencing wealth and acting as though you should get special consideration because you had a tough road, but there are thousands of other applicants who had single parents, volunteered for americorps, and still did well on the MCAT. If you did somehow manage to snag an interview at this point, I suspect your "poor me" attitude and excuses for poor performance would get you screened out.

TLDR: Retake the MCAT. Change your attitude.

Reactions: 3 users
Should I retake?

GPA: 3.78 (both overall and science)
MCAT (2 years ago): 29
11 Phys
10 Bio
8 Reading

First application I received 2 interviews at pretty good schools. No acceptance.
Second application (still in progress but pretty much over) I received zero interviews.

I am currently studying to retake the MCAT because honestly, I believe hardly anything in your application makes a significant difference besides your MCAT and GPA. I averaged more like a 32 on most my practices (Avg 12-13P, Avg 11B, Avg 8 Verb). I never took psychology/sociology in college, so I have to learn all that material. The MCAT is April 23rd, so I have 130 days and have already finished studying about half the material (time is not an issue).

Reactions: 1 user
125/121/125/127= 498 total

dont know what happened with CARS as it was my best section on practice exams :(

cGPA: 3.64, sGPA: 3.44

planning on retaking in April, do I need to increase my two gpas as well? i'd rather put in all my effort for the mcat retake

Canadian Applicant
GPA 3.84
Old MCAT (1st, 2013)
VR 8
PS 11
BS 10
Total 29
Old MCAT (Recent, 2014)
VR 7
PS 12
BS 12
Total 31

I want to apply in Ontario and I'm leaning towards trying the United States for MD or DO. Should I redo?

125/121/125/127= 498 total

dont know what happened with CARS as it was my best section on practice exams :(

cGPA: 3.64, sGPA: 3.44

planning on retaking in April, do I need to increase my two gpas as well? i'd rather put in all my effort for the mcat retake

Your GPA is a bit low for MD. Okay for DO though!
Definitely need to retake MCAT!

Canadian Applicant
GPA 3.84
Old MCAT (1st, 2013)
VR 8
PS 11
BS 10
Total 29
Old MCAT (Recent, 2014)
VR 7
PS 12
BS 12
Total 31

I want to apply in Ontario and I'm leaning towards trying the United States for MD or DO. Should I redo?
Seems like your verbal is a bit low for MD. I would say you have a decent chance at DO though

Should I retake?

11 Phys
10 Bio
8 Reading

First application I received 2 interviews at pretty good schools. No acceptance.
Second application (still in progress but pretty much over) I received zero interviews.

I am currently studying to retake the MCAT because honestly, I believe hardly anything in your application makes a significant difference besides your MCAT and GPA. I averaged more like a 32 on most my practices (Avg 12-13P, Avg 11B, Avg 8 Verb). I never took psychology/sociology in college, so I have to learn all that material. The MCAT is April 23rd, so I have 130 days and have already finished studying about half the material (time is not an issue).
Shadowing,researching and volunteering matters a lot unless you have perfect grades.

Yes you should retake because your verbal is a bit low for MD, average for DO( unless you are not applying to MD).
make sure you feel ready before retaking it. Dont rush it just because you want to be ahead.

Hello everyone!

GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 501
C/P: 125
CARS: 126
BB: 125
Psych: 125

Hahaha, I pretty much scored the same on each section. I think since I have more time to study now, my score could get better. But I was wondering if maybe I should focus on other parts of my application instead. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you so much! Oh! I should also mention that I am mainly going for DO. But knowledge about MD programs would be useful as well! Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.88 overall, 3.86 science
MCAT (Jan 2015): 28
10 Physics
9 Bio
9 Verbal reasoning
28 Overall

Double major undergrad. Currently completing an MSc degree abroad. 3+ years healthcare experience in prehospital and clinic settings, with direct patient contact. 2,000+ volunteer hours. My MCAT is < 10th percentile and GPA is 90th percentile for most of the schools I'm seeking acceptance to (MD programs). Really, everything is "great" except the MCAT.

Should I retake, or should I go ahead and apply with the knowledge that I may have to do so again?

GPA: 3.88 overall, 3.86 science
MCAT (Jan 2015): 28
10 Physics
9 Bio
9 Verbal reasoning
28 Overall

Double major undergrad. Currently completing an MSc degree abroad. 3+ years healthcare experience in prehospital and clinic settings, with direct patient contact. 2,000+ volunteer hours. My MCAT is < 10th percentile and GPA is 90th percentile for most of the schools I'm seeking acceptance to (MD programs). Really, everything is "great" except the MCAT.

Should I retake, or should I go ahead and apply with the knowledge that I may have to do so again?

In my limited experience (although I do interview for my school's ad com), I think you should retake. Obviously don't do it if you aren't sure you can better the score at least a couple of points, or whatever that is on the new scale. 28 is a few points below the average for most (all?) med schools, and the rest of your info sounds fine.

Not sure if I'm imagining this or was in blissful ignorance several years ago, but it seems to me that it's getting harder to get in and averages are rising. With so many people applying, there is often score bias to narrow the numbers, and I wouldn't give them a reason to toss your app before they even get to talk to you.

*Ignore me if you are URM

I just got my scores back from the February 3rd mcat. I made a 497: 123 in bio/Chem, 124 in cars, 124 in bio/biochem, and 126 in psych/soc. I have a 3.6 gpa and 3.8 almost 3.9 for math/science gpa. My ECs aren't that great but I know I have three really solid LOR. What are my chances of any MD school outside the southeast states?

Just got my scores for the 1/23 MCAT! I got a 512 (128/129/128/127). GPA 4.0. I scored 513 on the AAMC FL.
EC's are strong I think (Chief scribe, some volunteering, research), I have an interest in rural medicine, and I am not a URM.
Should I plan on retaking?

I dont see myself getting above a 510. And i know schools look at all scores so idk if a retake (best scenario me getting in 506 ish range) would get me into US DO schools in midwest

Overall gpa: 3.6
Science: 3.5

MCAT: 509 (128/126/125/130)

Pretty unbalanced. Should I retake?

Retaking depends on whether you're shooting for DO or MD. If DO, then definitely don't retake. MD is a little trickier. Your score is a little unbalanced but not terribly so. 509 is solid and right there at 30-31. The tough part is that your GPAs are (relatively) low for MD. How do your EC's look?

46% of applicants got accepted with your scores for MD...

Hey guys. Should I retake in Jan2016? Here are my stats:
3.9 GPA, 509 MCAT
PS: 127
CARS: 124
B/B: 130
Psych: 128

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The retake would be for CARS of course.
It depends on what school you're trying to get into. IMO those numbers would definitely get you into a lower/middle tier school or your state school

I just got my scores back from the February 3rd mcat. I made a 497: 123 in bio/Chem, 124 in cars, 124 in bio/biochem, and 126 in psych/soc. I have a 3.6 gpa and 3.8 almost 3.9 for math/science gpa. My ECs aren't that great but I know I have three really solid LOR. What are my chances of any MD school outside the southeast states?

Sorry but no MD school will take you with a 497. Maybe a brand new DO school, but without doing some research at the numbers, I doubt even that would work out. You'll have to retake unfortunately.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but is a 126 CARS score too low if I'm looking to get into a top-tier medical school?
My brother got a 9 on his verbal section and is currently attending UTSW. His GPA was about a 3.76. It all depends on what else you bring to the table- so I wouldn't worry about just one tiny factor like your CARS section :)

Just got my scores for the 1/23 MCAT! I got a 512 (128/129/128/127). GPA 4.0. I scored 513 on the AAMC FL.
EC's are strong I think (Chief scribe, some volunteering, research), I have an interest in rural medicine, and I am not a URM.

Nope you're solid. Apply broadly and wisely in addition to your state schools (look at OOS private schools and OOS publics that take a high amount of outside applicants (>30% of the class is OOS).

IMO No haha you're fine. Your MCAT is pretty good and your GPA is excellent. I know people who got into 4 or 5 medical schools with much worse numbers and very little ECs

Nope you're solid. Apply broadly and wisely in addition to your state schools (look at OOS private schools and OOS publics that take a high amount of outside applicants (>30% of the class is OOS).

IMO No haha you're fine. Your MCAT is pretty good and your GPA is excellent. I know people who got into 4 or 5 medical schools with much worse numbers and very little ECs

Thanks so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

so I got a 509 MCAT with a 128/126/127/128 breakdown.
I have an all-college GPA of 3.5. I didn't do t00 well my first two years of undergrad, but I transferred out and in my new university I have a 3.8+ GPA, so definitely an upwards trend that I can very easily well explain, since I HATED my first university, and it was out of state (only applying to in state med schools). My ECs are pretty diverse and interesting, and I'll be getting very solid recommendations.

Should I retake? This IS my second time taking the MCAT.

For those of you who were able to get above a 508 any tips/strategies your used? I need help with CARS and apparently psych/soc - even though all of my practice exams for psych/soc were around 127. Please please please PM me with CARS strategies or post here for everyone. Thanks!

For those of you who were able to get above a 508 any tips/strategies your used? I need help with CARS and apparently psych/soc - even though all of my practice exams for psych/soc were around 127. Please please please PM me with CARS strategies or post here for everyone. Thanks!
Go to the 509+ thread! I posted some tips

got 513 (131/124/128/130) on my first time. CARS was way lower than my tpr, aamc, and ek average..
3.75 cgpa 3.7sgpa
solid research and volunteering ECs (nothing nationally awarded, but 2 mid tier mid author pubs)

should i retake for top 20 schools? (perelman, ucsf, wash u, baylor, southwestern somewhere in that range?)
Hoping to bring up cars

Last edited:
got 513 (131/128/124/130) on my first time. CARS was way lower than my tpr, aamc, and ek average..
3.75 cgpa 3.7sgpa
from flagship public school
solid research and volunteering ECs (nothing nationally awarded, but 2-3 mid tier mid author pubs)

should i retake for top 20 schools? (perelman, ucsf, wash u, baylor, southwestern somewhere in that range?)
hoping to get my CARS back to normal/close to the other sections
Well my brother is a first year UTSW and he had and MCAT of 32, which a GPA of I think 3.7. So for UTSW, you may be okay. I'm not sure about the others though, but your MCAT is fantastic on my standards haha. Remember that it's just part of the puzzle, and you already are looking like a great applicant. But take it again if you want to get rid of any doubts of getting into a top 20.

3.87 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA. Texas. Non trad

Jan 2015 MCAT- 25(8/6/11)
Jan 2016 MCAT- 511(128/124 :( / 130/129)

I feel like I should be happy with a 511, but I didnt improve in CARS... Will this really hold me back?

My EC's are- 500+ hours scribe(still doing it), 1.5 years as a workshop leader(basically lead tutor for classes that students enroll in that want to do well in a certain class), 1 year working in an Alzheimers research lab(no publications/presentation, but completed a project), volunteering, shadowing there as well.

Looking to apply MD/PhD , currently a senior in electrical engineering.

MCAT: Jan 23 / Feb 3 (got delayed by storm) - 510 (130/128/128/124)
  • cGPA: 3.86 without including 2015-2016
  • sGPA: 3.87 without including 2015-2016
  • Two undergraduate degrees: BA Physics, BS EE (graduating May 2016)
  • Permanent Resident
  • State of residence: NY
  • Ethnicity: Hispanic; Race: Asian
  • Schools: Top 20 engineering, top 50 liberal arts.
  • Medical schools I am interested in (all MD/PhD or MSTP): UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCSD, UCSF, Yale, Boston U, Harvard/MIT, Johns Hopkins, U MD Baltimore, WUSTL, Duke, Columbia, NYU, U Penn, U Washington, Baylor/Rice, Emory
  • Clinical: 200+ hrs medical interpretation
  • Research: 2.5+ yrs research in atomic/molecular and computational physics, 1 summer in accelerator physics, 1 summer in bioengineering (drug delivery) research. No publications. 5 poster presentations, 1-2 conferences, mentored 3 other undergrads in same lab.
  • ECs: 3 yrs IT classroom support and events training manager, founder and current officer of performing arts club (4-6 hrs/wk), past experience (2 yr physics education outreach (SPS), board of ethnic student group, FSAE racecar team).
  • Future plans: doing postbac IRTA at the NIH for 1 year.
I was advised to retake because of the low (43%ile) Psych/Soc section. What are your thoughts?

From what I've heard, you should re-take if section scores fall below 10 (using the old score as a scale.) because schools screen out people that doesn't meet their cut off for individual sections. But only re-take it if you think you have time to study it and improve it.

• Permanent Resident
  • Medical schools I am interested in (all MD/PhD or MSTP): UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCSD, UCSF, Yale, Boston U, Harvard/MIT, Johns Hopkins, U MD Baltimore, WUSTL, Duke, Columbia, NYU, U Penn, U Washington, Baylor/Rice, Emory
  • Research: 2.5+ yrs research in atomic/molecular and computational physics, 1 summer in accelerator physics, 1 summer in bioengineering (drug delivery) research. No publications. 5 poster presentations, 1-2 conferences, mentored 3 other undergrads in same lab.
  • ECs: 3 yrs IT classroom support and events training manager, founder and current officer of performing arts club (4-6 hrs/wk), past experience (2 yr physics education outreach (SPS), board of ethnic student group, FSAE racecar team).
I was advised to retake because of the low (43%ile) Psych/Soc section. What are your thoughts?
I would recommend a retake, I'm applying to MD/PhD programs too and for that you need to have an MCAT score of at least 514-515 to have a decent chance. At least you didn't do good on psych, which is the easiest to improve on because it's mostly content based. So yeah, retake, get a 514-515, and you should be solid for low to mid tiers. Top tier MD/PhDs like hopkins, harvard, stanford, and Upenn are out of your and my range, for those schools many applicants with 3.9 and 520 will apply and get rejected.

Looking to apply to MD or MD/PhD.

cGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.63

white female, living in CA.

Research experience: 1 summer as stem cell technician (letter unlikely), 3 years as a research technician during school (author on paper, really good letter expected), research technician post-grad at highly respected institution/lab (Oct 2015-present, really good letter expected)

Clinical: shadowed 2 doctors 25 hours each. volunteered with organization to provide medical care to homeless population, but provided outreach only.

MCAT: I've taken it twice already, and got the exact same score both times. The first time I wasn't prepared, the second time there were mitigating circumstances, but nothing insane.
28 overall 10V/8PS/10BS

Looking to apply to MD or MD/PhD.

cGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.63

white female, living in CA.

Research experience: 1 summer as stem cell technician (letter unlikely), 3 years as a research technician during school (author on paper, really good letter expected), research technician post-grad at highly respected institution/lab (Oct 2015-present, really good letter expected)

Clinical: shadowed 2 doctors 25 hours each. volunteered with organization to provide medical care to homeless population, but provided outreach only.

MCAT: I've taken it twice already, and got the exact same score both times. The first time I wasn't prepared, the second time there were mitigating circumstances, but nothing insane.
28 overall 10V/8PS/10BS
I think your overall application is not competitive enough for the MD/PHD program. I would apply to medical school and then look to get your PHD after. Or vis vesa. Keep in mind many schools may not even take the old version of your MCAT anymore. AAMC can guide you as can a prehealth advisor.

• Permanent Resident
510 isn't enough for many middle grade MD/PHD programs. I agree with mark but keep in mind if you take it again and don't destroy it, like 521 or better, you will have wasted your time. Although some of those schools aren't as competitive others and their mission may be suited to you regardless of your low MCAT. Good to check in with them and see what they're looking for. Good luck

3.87 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA. Texas. Non trad

Jan 2015 MCAT- 25(8/6/11)
Jan 2016 MCAT- 511(128/124 :( / 130/129)

I feel like I should be happy with a 511, but I didnt improve in CARS... Will this really hold me back?

My EC's are- 500+ hours scribe(still doing it), 1.5 years as a workshop leader(basically lead tutor for classes that students enroll in that want to do well in a certain class), 1 year working in an Alzheimers research lab(no publications/presentation, but completed a project), volunteering, shadowing there as well.
Hey there, this is solid and you showed considerable improvement overall on a test that got harder and went longer (haha ;D). Be confident with your application and your desire to go into medicine. Make sure you can explain you scores to yourself and the admissions committee. And lastly make sure you apply to the right schools (ie not Hopkins).

got 513 (131/124/128/130) on my first time. CARS was way lower than my tpr, aamc, and ek average..
3.75 cgpa 3.7sgpa
solid research and volunteering ECs (nothing nationally awarded, but 2 mid tier mid author pubs)

Hoping to bring up cars
No, I would just add some lower tier schools to your list to make sure you get in. If you retake and get a 523 maybe it's worth. But I wouldn't.

so I got a 509 MCAT with a 128/126/127/128 breakdown.
I have an all-college GPA of 3.5. I didn't do t00 well my first two years of undergrad, but I transferred out and in my new university I have a 3.8+ GPA, so definitely an upwards trend that I can very easily well explain, since I HATED my first university, and it was out of state (only applying to in state med schools). My ECs are pretty diverse and interesting, and I'll be getting very solid recommendations.

Should I retake? This IS my second time taking the MCAT.
You're solid. Just don't apply outside of your range. You understand your story, stick to it.

510 MCAT from January: 127/127/128/128
3.25 gpa
Strong ECs and non-prof letters of rec

Not a terrible MCAT score - I know my gpa is more of the limiting factor but wondering if I should retake the MCAT to try and counteract my low gpa. I am hoping to apply this summer, and planning to take post bac credits next year if it looks like I won't get in anywhere. Pretty consistent across the sections, which is good, but I had done much better on each section at various points in my practice exams, especially CARS. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!

Should I retake?

11 Phys
10 Bio
8 Reading

I'd retake. Psych/CARS are easy focuses when you already have a solid handle of chem/phys

510 MCAT from January: 127/127/128/128
3.25 gpa
Strong ECs and non-prof letters of rec

Not a terrible MCAT score - I know my gpa is more of the limiting factor but wondering if I should retake the MCAT to try and counteract my low gpa. I am hoping to apply this summer, and planning to take post bac credits next year if it looks like I won't get in anywhere. Pretty consistent across the sections, which is good, but I had done much better on each section at various points in my practice exams, especially CARS. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!
You will most likely need to take 2 or 3 quarters of heavy (18-22 credits a quarter) science course work. You can't make up for a poor GPA with MCAT, as they measure different things. Although a better MCAT keeps you from being screened out your MCAT clearly demonstrates you have profeciency on standardized tests. However your GPA says that you will not be able to handle the riggers of 20 credit quarters. Consider going back to school for a few quarters and take some really hard classes and get 3.6 or better in all of them.

509 mcat, non-traditional, Ph.D. in biomed, master in statistics from a top 10 US school but undergrad overseas (not Canada). Breakdown 130, 124, 129, 126, low cars and psy. Aiming at MD schools with strong research. Undergrad GPA 3.93 (2/115) but again overseas. Should I retake? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

509 mcat, non-traditional, Ph.D. in biomed, master in statistics from a top 10 US school but undergrad overseas (not Canada). Breakdown 130, 124, 129, 126, low cars and psy. Aiming at MD schools with strong research. Undergrad GPA 3.93 (2/115) but again overseas. Should I retake? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Which school overseas? From what I've heard the top ten schools in the nation (for research) will be unlikely to take a 509 applicant unless you have done something worthy of global or at least national attention in the science and/or medical community. Just keep in mind a retake doesn't eliminate the previous score. I makes it that much more important. some schools actually average the two or weigh them. Regardless of their policy you will most likely need >520 to be competitive at the top ten.

C/P: 131
CARS: 123
P/S: 125
Overall: 505

I have a 3.7 cgpa with a ton of volunteer hours (100+ recovery and OR clinical hours, and a bunch from volunteering at my church for years). I am currently unemployed, but I am a volunteer research associate in one of my former professor's drug addiction lab and will be getting published on a paper in April, right before the AMCAS is launched. Looking to apply to both MD and DO schools. The scores above were my third time writing (previous two were 21s each). Need to retake for MD schools?
You should prolly decide DO or MD before hand. DO schools don't like being in the mix they want you to be committed to them. You're most likely interview material but it's going to be tough to convince Med schools that you can handle the USMLE during med school if you couldn't master the MCAT. That said if you had a really heavy tough schedule and studied for the MCAT you might be able to make your case and get accepted. If you retake your gunna want better than a 515. If you retake and do poorly (below 508) you will make your chances of getting in VERY small.

Status
Not open for further replies.