**Official SMDEP 2012 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WOO HOO! got into U of Washington and UCLA reject from NY!? whatever im still so happy! i think im going to pick UCLA but im from la lol let me know who might go to either washington or la!

Members don't see this ad.

you are going to love it here! i think im most likely going there too

Members don't see this ad :)
i am seriously having a party by myself in my room right now, is that lame? :)

Congratulations to all that have gotten in so far! :D I think I'll have to wait for the second batch of decisions to roll in... hopefully it's not a long wait.

I'm going to UVA. Is anyone else here going to the program at UVA?

Hello, I am a rising sophomore, and I plan on attending either the SEP program at UNC or SMDEP at Duke University this summer. I am interested in both medical schools equally. However, I am clueless as to which program will benefit me more.

did anyone who applied to UMDNJ get admission decisions yet? i still haven't gotten one from them

Congrats to everyone thus far!!!! :highfive: :soexcited: :claps:

I won't check my status until after I take my test later today. So talk about suspense here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

First off, I was accepted to the following SMDEP sites: Columbia, UCLA, and Howard.

For me, the choice is coming down to Columbia or UCLA. There are several other factors that go into my decision, but I wanted to get some unbiased (or maybe biased) opinions from you guys. So where should I go?!

I'm Pre-Dental, but everyone in SMDEP does pretty much the same thing.

Congratulations to anyone else who got accepted.

NY vs LA, which do you prefer?

If theres enough people going to Columbia on this site I think I might make a facebook group so we can get to know eachother before hand. If youre interested let me know.

Hello, I am a rising sophomore, and I plan on attending either the SEP program at UNC or SMDEP at Duke University this summer. I am interested in both medical schools equally. However, I am clueless as to which program will benefit me more.

I think SEP is only for rising seniors.

Anyone else trying to decide between two schools? UCLA or Columbia, boils down to spending the summer in Los Angeles or New York for me.

That's really your choice. Read up on the sights and sounds of each if you aren't familiar with them, and choose the one you'd rather experience for a big chunk of your summer.

ACCEPTED to columbia!! but rejected to duke and howard. NY here i come! Quick question i checked confirm. Is that all we have to do to accept?

yep thats all you have to do! would you like to be a part of a facebook group if i start one?

Two friends of mine got accepted to Columbia and one of them also to Yale....I wont have any results until March.

Update: Accepted to Yale, UVA, and Duke!!! I am too happy right now. Now time to decide? Any suggestions?

Actually I just found out I got accepted for research at Michigan State so I will not be participating in SMDEP. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all have tons of fun and learning at your respective medical schools!

I'll be at UVA as well!! Sooo excited!!

WOO HOO! got into U of Washington and UCLA reject from NY!? whatever im still so happy! i think im going to pick UCLA but im from la lol let me know who might go to either washington or la!

I had literally the exact same results!!! I don't know how which to choose, how are you deciding?

I had literally the exact same results!!! I don't know how which to choose, how are you deciding?

hahah how funny! Im honestly so torn, I really want to go to UCLA because I'm from LA and that potentially where I want to go to med school, I want to try and get into the PREP program next summer.
But I really want to go to washington because of it rankings and accomplishments and the labs it has to offer, how about you? :)

Ahh haha that's so weird. I'm the same way!! I'm doing the dental portion, but also want to apply to PREP next year as well. I'm just torn because it it helps doing the SMDEP at UCLA, I'd totally go there if it meant a step up for the Prep program. But I also go to school in California, so I little change up would be nice, and UW is such a top school it's hard to turn down. I hate that we only have until Friday to decide!!

Hahaha, everyone is so excited...I can't wait until my application goes into review :D

Is it wrong to predict yourself getting into a certain site? Lol :cool:

Ahh haha that's so weird. I'm the same way!! I'm doing the dental portion, but also want to apply to PREP next year as well. I'm just torn because it it helps doing the SMDEP at UCLA, I'd totally go there if it meant a step up for the Prep program. But I also go to school in California, so I little change up would be nice, and UW is such a top school it's hard to turn down. I hate that we only have until Friday to decide!!

i know! it's stressing me out! which one do you think your going to choose then?
i really like what washington has to offer with all the hands on experience
btw are you a 1st or 2nd year?

@tj, good looking brotha - no bruno, go out there and represent for us black males, i hope to join your journey at another school tho next round..

happy for many of you. my application just got COMPLETED officially TODAY.

Umm, im confused because the part where you log in says next results will be on march 1st then another part says APRIL

????? which is the right one!???

PLEASE MARCH 1ST

*edi* checked last years thread and people were accepted the 15th and then the 1st of april -________-

Congrats to everybody that got in. I unfortunately did not get in anywhere. It's probably because I am not a URM but at least I tried.

I got into Case and UT-Houston!!!! However do not know which one to go to, any suggestions?

First off, I'm so happy so many of you guys have been accepted! Congrats!! I just have a few questions for those of of us who have completed our application after February 1st.

1. In your honest opinion, do you think all of the SMDEP sites are already full? I applied to Yale, Columbia, and Duke...do you think sites reserve some spots for the second batch of applications?
2. If some sites aren't full, do you think people who have already been rejected from all three of the sites they applied to will be contacted?
3. Will we get our results on March 1st or April 1st? the SMDEP website is kind of confusing.
4. Are there any other backup summer pre-med enrichment/research programs that we should be considering? (hopefully the deadlines haven't past yet!)

Thanks guys, and congrats again!!! :xf:

Last edited:
First off, I'm so happy so many of you guys have been accepted! Congrats!! I just have a few questions for those of of us who have completed our application after February 1st.

1. In your honest opinion, do you think all of the SMDEP sites are already full? I applied to Yale, Columbia, and Duke...do you think sites reserve some spots for the second batch of applications?
2. If some sites aren't full, do you think people who have already been rejected from all three of the sites they applied to will be contacted?
3. Will we get our results on March 1st or April 1st? the SMDEP website is kind of confusing.
4. Are there any other backup summer pre-med enrichment/research programs that we should be considering? (hopefully the deadlines haven't past yet!)

Thanks guys, and congrats again!!! :xf:

I definitely don't think all the sites are full. Most of us got accepted into more than one place, so that leaves spots open, and they probably reserve spots for the second batch of applicants. I heard Columbia fills up incredibly fast, however. I doubt rejected people will be contacted further. And no idea for your other questions, sorry.

Hopefully they'll stick to what they said on the website. My application was finally completed yesterday and I'm hoping for a March 1st admission decision. Also, I'm a bit upset that the only thing that was holding my application was SMDEP not processing my transcript until yesterday even though my school sent my transcript on January 28th.

my application is now in:

Application in Review

for UCLA & Columbia..

Hello Everyone....I attended YALE SMDEP last summer and i can honestly say that it was the best experience of my life.....If you were accepted to Yale, I promise that you will not regret going there for the summer.

If anyone has any questions, I am open to answer them....Good luck to everyone else that is waiting on decisions.

Hey guys I got accepted into University of Lousiville yesterday! I am so excited! Did u guys decide which school u wanna go to yet? I cant wait for the summer now! I am pre-med!