**Official SMDEP 2012 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Im going to Yale this summer. I wanted to know if you did any cadaver work?
And what did you guys do for fun instead of hitting the books?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you feel like your experience at Yale reassured your plans of going to medical school? and I want to know if you get some good clinical experience...b/c I got accepted to Yale and UW and it seems that UW has good clinical experience but Yale was very vague in their curriculum description

First off, I'm so happy so many of you guys have been accepted! Congrats!! I just have a few questions for those of of us who have completed our application after February 1st.

1. In your honest opinion, do you think all of the SMDEP sites are already full? I applied to Yale, Columbia, and Duke...do you think sites reserve some spots for the second batch of applications?
2. If some sites aren't full, do you think people who have already been rejected from all three of the sites they applied to will be contacted?
3. Will we get our results on March 1st or April 1st? the SMDEP website is kind of confusing.
4. Are there any other backup summer pre-med enrichment/research programs that we should be considering? (hopefully the deadlines haven't past yet!)

Thanks guys, and congrats again!!! :xf:
1)Based on my experience from last year, the sites that were already full had a status that said so. Since the program is a first come first serve type of basis, I think it would be safe to assume that they accept students until their spots are full regardless of application deadline.
2)They do not accept students that have already been denied, they could accept students that have been wait listed.
3)They will release admissions on April 1st.
4) My suggestions would be that if you're interested in other pre med enrichment programs, google it! Honestly google is one of the best tools when it comes to researching summer internships:)

Hey, I found out about the SMDEP very late! Probably around the beginning of february. I just complete my application on the 15th (it sucks) but When I applied, Columbia site was FULL! I don't want to go to Columbia anyways. I'm from NY so I probably want to go away for the summer! I applied to Howard, Yale and NJ. I'm really nervous about their decisions!! And Congrats to everyone who got accepted already!

Does it matter if the letter of recommendations don't come from your major's field? becuase both of my recommendation letter came from Cal. professors.

I don't know if I'm a minority because.. I'm asian, but not really becuase I was raised in Panama so I speak spanish better than chinese. So the thing is that I just been here for 4years, I my family income is really low! like really really. NY is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!!! and my father is unemployed. What are my chances to get in?

OmG, I'm going to be so depressed if I don't get in.. I REALLLY want to be part of this summer program!

Good Luck to EVERYONEEEEEE:)

Hey, I found out about the SMDEP very late! Probably around the beginning of february. I just complete my application on the 15th (it sucks) but When I applied, Columbia site was FULL! I don't want to go to Columbia anyways. I'm from NY so I probably want to go away for the summer! I applied to Howard, Yale and NJ. I'm really nervous about their decisions!! And Congrats to everyone who got accepted already!

Does it matter if the letter of recommendations don't come from your major's field? becuase both of my recommendation letter came from Cal. professors.

I don't know if I'm a minority because.. I'm asian, but not really becuase I was raised in Panama so I speak spanish better than chinese. So the thing is that I just been here for 4years, I my family income is really low! like really really. NY is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!!! and my father is unemployed. What are my chances to get in?

OmG, I'm going to be so depressed if I don't get in.. I REALLLY want to be part of this summer program!

Good Luck to EVERYONEEEEEE:)

Where does it say that the Columbia site is closed? I also applied to the Columbia site and it didn't say anything about it being closed.:confused:

When you choose the 3sites... Next to Columbia said (site full)

This sucks...if Columbia is full my best hope is UVA (Which I think i'll get into) or Yale (Unsure about that). And if Admissions decisions come out April 1st........

Let's just hope they come out on the 1st :(

Members don't see this ad :)
When you choose the 3sites... Next to Columbia said (site full)

Oh, okay. I actually submitted my web app on feb 1 and it was finally fully complete on feb 15. So I wasn't able to see that Columbia was full. Wish I could go back and change it now...:(

This sucks...if Columbia is full my best hope is UVA (Which I think i'll get into) or Yale (Unsure about that). And if Admissions decisions come out April 1st........

Let's just hope they come out on the 1st :(

I want to get into Yale.. HOPEFULLY. I'm so scared.. nervous.
April 1st. It's fools day -__-
I don't even want to know none of my 3 choices accepts me..:(

I will be going to the SMDEP program at UVA this summer and I had a few questions that I couldn't find the answers to in other threads. Can someone tell me what they thought of the UVA program? Also, did you have the chance to shadow a lot of doctors or gain a lot of clinical experience? What was your favorite part of the program?

I want to get into Yale.. HOPEFULLY. I'm so scared.. nervous.
April 1st. It's fools day -__-
I don't even want to know none of my 3 choices accepts me..:(

Okay, I just checked the SMDEP 2011 Forum, and the people who participated from last year mentioned sites like Yale, Columbia, Duke, etc. still being open for the second batch of applications. Seeing that I completed my application pretty early for the second batch, I think my chances of getting into any of my sites won't be as bad as I previously thought. So don't give up all hope just yet, even if the website says they're closed!!

Honestly, I have a few other summer pre-med programs that I applied to in case SMDEP falls through, so maybe you should consider applying elsewhere too:thumbup:

Recently found out I was accepted into SMDEP Houston!! Will anyone else be attending here? I can't wait!

I did SMDEP at UVa in 2009. I think 2009 was the last year Dr. Moses Wood said he was going to be running the program though, so I don't know if everything is still the same. I thought it was an awesome program; I was inspired and definitely learned a lot! The personal statement workshop was super helpful. I used most of it for my personal statement when I applied this year. I found the communications workshops very helpful too. The program mainly consisted of lectures though, not clinical experience. We didn't get the chance to shadow docs, but we did get to interact with them in small groups. For our "clinical experience" we attended discussions/presentations with primary care docs and radiologists and visited a nursing home (there was more, but those are the two things that stand out in my mind).

Congrats on getting accepted! Let me know if you have any more questions

Okay, I just checked the SMDEP 2011 Forum, and the people who participated from last year mentioned sites like Yale, Columbia, Duke, etc. still being open for the second batch of applications. Seeing that I completed my application pretty early for the second batch, I think my chances of getting into any of my sites won't be as bad as I previously thought. So don't give up all hope just yet, even if the website says they're closed!!

Honestly, I have a few other summer pre-med programs that I applied to in case SMDEP falls through, so maybe you should consider applying elsewhere too:thumbup:

What others pre-med summer programs are there?? Could you tell me about good ones please??
I wish you luck on getting accepted in any of your 3sites... Im so nervous abt about april 1st!!!!!

Hey Guys I need help!

I am finishing my application before this Friday but don't know what places to pick! I just want to get in anywhere if I can because I really want to be apart of this.

Can anyone help!?.. please?

Also.. I'm confused about the decisions released on April 1st.. I thought they would be released on March 1st?

Hey Guys I need help!

I am finishing my application before this Friday but don't know what places to pick! I just want to get in anywhere if I can because I really want to be apart of this.

Can anyone help!?.. please?

Also.. I'm confused about the decisions released on April 1st.. I thought they would be released on March 1st?

Decisions for applications completed after Feb 1 will be released on Apr 1st. They just have to be submitted my Mar 1st.

In other news, UMDNJ is in review. :)

Exactly. I wanna meet more people who are going to Yale!!!

So in order to start a page (which I just tried to do) you have to add others to the group... I'm stuck! But I think it is such a great idea!

Is anyone going to Howard? How good is their program?

Does anybody know what's the approx. time for the transcripts and letters of recommendation to reach the SMDEP office? My school sent the transcript last Friday. I was also informed that both of my recommendation letters were mailed on Friday as well. How long should I expect a change in their " View Status" page??
Last Monday was President's Day, The Post Office was closed for holiday.
I'm really nervous.

Good Luck to everyone, and congratulations to those that are already accepted! :thumbup::)

Hi everyone, I know that two letters of recommendation are suppose to be submitted. I already have one from my college adviser, Who would be considered to be someone form my major field of study. Who would you ask

College Statistics Professor
Volunteer Director
Pharmacy Manager

I really would appreciate your response especially since the deadline is coming up. Can you please also state who you asked for the LOR
'
THANK YOU GUYS:)

Hi everyone, I know that two letters of recommendation are suppose to be submitted. I already have one from my college adviser, Who would be considered to be someone form my major field of study. Who would you ask

Volunteer Director
Pharmacy Manager

I really would appreciate your response especially since the deadline is coming up. Can you please also state who you asked for the LOR
'

In your place I would consider your College Statistics Professor, because you could tell you are in a good math. Since most of the freshmen/sophomore are taking Calculus (in New York).. I think you are in a pretty advanced math.

My LORs were from 2 math professors.

In your place I would consider your College Statistics Professor, because you could tell you are in a good math. Since most of the freshmen/sophomore are taking Calculus (in New York).. I think you are in a pretty advanced math.

My LORs were from 2 math professors.

Hey thank you so much for the response. I guess it seems right to ask him. I would really appreciate a second opinion if guys don't mind sharing your thoughts.

Thanks

My application is now in review for UVA but not for Columbia or Yale. Does this mean that Columbia and Yale don't have any seats for the second round apps?

The deadline is so close! and my LOR and Transcript statuses are BLANK!! It's been a week since my school sent them my transcript. as well as the LORs!!

I really dont want to miss the deadline!!!

Got into UMDNJ and got my confirmation email today. I also found out that i got the RA alternate position in school ......God is sooooo GOOOD!!!:thumbup::D:):soexcited:who else got into UMDNJ?

Im surprised this thread isn't active, especially compared to the other years. Yale all the way!!

Volunteer Director
Pharmacy Manager

'

Bump

Hey Guys,

Did anyone confirm to Duke and not get contacted? I keep checking my "view status" page and it says "Confirmed" next to Duke, but I have not heard from them? Is this normal? Thnx!! ^^

Hey Guys,

Did anyone confirm to Duke and not get contacted? I keep checking my "view status" page and it says "Confirmed" next to Duke, but I have not heard from them? Is this normal? Thnx!! ^^

Yeah man i have the same problem

Yeah man i have the same problem

Ok I feel calmer, lol. I already announced to friends I got accepted but then haven't heard from them. There is a Duke SMDEP 2012 page to formally register, I found it googling "confirmation" info.

Anyone else going to Duke having the same problem? Or is anyone going to Duke who's already been sent their confirmation email?