Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

**Official SMDEP 2012 Thread**

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by DrStraggler, 10.03.11.

1. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Bump :)
  2. Deostas

Deostas

Pre-Medical
    My application is now in review for UVA but not for Columbia or Yale. Does this mean that Columbia and Yale don't have any seats for the second round apps?
  3. Vee16

Vee16

Pre-Medical
    The deadline is so close! and my LOR and Transcript statuses are BLANK!! It's been a week since my school sent them my transcript. as well as the LORs!!

I really dont want to miss the deadline!!!
  4. MdBOO

MdBOO

Pre-Medical
    Got into UMDNJ and got my confirmation email today. I also found out that i got the RA alternate position in school ......God is sooooo GOOOD!!!:thumbup::D:):soexcited:who else got into UMDNJ?
  5. Kim Chang

Kim Chang

Im surprised this thread isn't active, especially compared to the other years. Yale all the way!!
  6. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Bump
  7. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey Guys,

Did anyone confirm to Duke and not get contacted? I keep checking my "view status" page and it says "Confirmed" next to Duke, but I have not heard from them? Is this normal? Thnx!! ^^
  8. Kim Chang

Kim Chang

Yeah man i have the same problem
  9. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ok I feel calmer, lol. I already announced to friends I got accepted but then haven't heard from them. There is a Duke SMDEP 2012 page to formally register, I found it googling "confirmation" info.

Anyone else going to Duke having the same problem? Or is anyone going to Duke who's already been sent their confirmation email?
  10. epfrias

epfrias

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You won't get an acceptance email for like another month. I just checked back in my email account and they sent me one last year around late March. The good thing is that you already confirmed so you're good to go!!
  11. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks Epfrias,

I was starting to get a tad nervous... lol. There's nothing like thinking you were accepted into a program to find out you were not. Talk about, "that sucks!" So since you were sent an acceptance email last year, did you participate at an SMDEP program site? If so, which one? And how was your experience? Again, thanks for reassuring me about the email, it took a load off of my already stressed mind. :)
  12. alexandriaa

alexandriaa

Pre-Medical
    no the same thing happened to me, they started reviewing at different times. I have heard Columbia no longer has seats though.
  13. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do guys even think I should still submit my appliation. The deadline is march 1st. I almost have the application ready. Most likely, everything will be sent on Tuesday.

Does everything have tonarrive before march1st?
  14. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you SHOULD submit it! You'll always wonder. And you never know, you might get picked!! Go for it!!! ^^

(It has to be post marked by March 1st! As long as the post office stamps it by the 1st, you're ok.)
  15. drlefty15

drlefty15

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is anyone else attending Yale?
  16. epfrias

epfrias

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lol yea that would really suck. I attended Smdep at Duke and it was an amazing experience! Honestly this program is one of the best experiences for students who are looking for medical exposure and clinical experience. You won't regret it:) which one are you attending?
  17. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Since I only have three schools to choose from how would I know which school is full. What would you consider a safe school.

18. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Can anyone advise me,

How did you choose a program, especially since I am so close to the deadline. What if the program is full.
  19. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I confirmed with Duke. Gosh, I keep hearing so may wonderful things about SMDEP, I don't think I can contain myself!! Lol
  20. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I chose the site based on the experience I hope to gain. Although they are all SMDEP, each school has its own reputation. If you want a sunny environment maybe you'd want to go west to Cali; you've heard University of Washington is in a state that isn't very diverse so you'd like to change it, whatever interests YOU. Of course there are schools that go quicker than others, so if ANY site suits you (I hear EVERY site is fantastic) then apply to the "least" popular (maybe not NYC but somewhere more rural) . Hope that helps! :) And keep in mind EVERY site is prime choice. So there's no losing site!
    Last edited: 02.27.12
  21. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you for the response.

Since I am applying so close to the deadline I have to submit my application strategically. Columbia is full and I read that duke , Yale , and Western are top choices so they will be more competitive to apply. What schools would you recommend to be safety schools. I already thought on UMDNJ, but what other school do you feel will have a greater increase in my acceptance.

Thanks for any input :)
  22. epfrias

epfrias

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    GO DUKE!! lol if you haven't been to their campus, you're gonna love it! It's absolutely beautiful and I must warn you, it's very warm in NC but at least you'll have air conditioning:)
  23. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I keep hearing that! I was sold when I read air-conditioned rooms, hahaha. I've been to Atlanta around the summertime so it shouldn't be too different. But I'm from NYC where the humidity is far worse than the mercury rising. Ty for the heads up!!! :-D
  24. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know all the sites but try looking for schools that aren't going to be filled by the time they receive your application. But times a tickin. Pick ur top schiol that is open. Pick your second and maybe pick you least.
  25. epfrias

epfrias

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha I definitely know about how bad summer can be in NYC, I'm from there too lol.
  26. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sent my transcripts in a week ago. Are they suppose to arrive by the deadline. The website doesn't really clarify.
  27. epfrias

epfrias

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The website says everything should be postmarked by March 1st. Which means that it doesn't really matter if they get there after that date just as long as it has been postmarked by March 1st, but of course the sooner the better!
  28. Deostas

Deostas

Pre-Medical
    Columbia is out of seats -__________-
  29. Vee16

Vee16

Pre-Medical
    How do you know? :|
  30. Vee16

Vee16

Pre-Medical

I'm from NYC too.. Summer is HORRIBLE and SUFFOCATING HERE!
  31. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When you choose which sites you want to attend it says so in parenthesis (site is full) currently Columbia, Yale and Duke are full.
  32. Vcity19

Vcity19

Pre-Medical
    April 1 seems like its never coming!!! I applied to Yale,UW, and Nebraska and I want to know if I got in now!! I guess Yale is full so I'm hoping for UW to come through.:xf:
  33. Deostas

Deostas

Pre-Medical
    Actually Yale isn't full...second round applications for Yale are listed as "in review". Columbia on the other hand is not reviewing applications at all, which means that they are (most likely) full.
  34. bbyenvious

bbyenvious

Pre-Medical
    Hey! So some people say that their application is "in for review" next to their schools but mine is still blank. It says "--". Is this normal? :confused:
  35. drlefty15

drlefty15

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's normal. It just means that either they haven't gotten to your application yet or they haven't updated the site. My sites never said "in review" but I was accepted into all three of them.
  36. biodaychemnight

biodaychemnight

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'll have to agree about Columbia and Duke being full (maybe, we probably won't know for sure), but now my Yale application says "in review". I know that doesn't mean a definite acceptance, but it still leaves some hope to anyone who applied to Yale.
  37. drlefty15

drlefty15

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  38. MaxillofacialMN

MaxillofacialMN Osteopathic Foot Dentist

Podiatry Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I attended Columbia summer of '10. If anyone has any questions; feel free to PM me!
  39. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There should be an SMDEP Duke 2012 group!! :) I wouldn't mind starting it, unless of course someone else has beat me to the punch OR prefers to create it. Yaaaay!!
  40. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Here's my info: facebook.com/fashionsmashin
  41. TheFamilyDoc

TheFamilyDoc Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I met the Chancellor of the Medical School, Dean of Admissions, and the Director of SMDEP at UCLA yesterday. They are amazing people. The school and the hospital (which is brand new) are just amazing. If you got accepted there im sure you will have something up against the other sites. Not to mention the weather is amazing there. Good Luck Everyone!
  42. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sent my LOR like 6 days ago. They were sent by mail not fax, how long does it take for them to receive them. I called and they had me on hold for 45 min until I decided to hang up.
  43. Cluless

Cluless

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    To my knowledge, everything was supposed to be postmarked by March 1. So if you mailed it 6 days ago, which would make it the 6th of Mar, it may be too late. You'll know their decision on April 1. Much success! :)
  44. MdBOO

MdBOO

Pre-Medical
    just got the checklist and survival booklet in an email can't wait for SMDEP UMDNJ 2012!!!:woot::cool::soexcited:
  45. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sorry I got confused, my application was complete on 03/05 but I submitted everything on 03/01. I recently check my status and one of LOR is "received" but the other is still blank. I wonder why if they were both sent the same day. Is it true that they review applications without looking at the LOR?

Anyways, CONGRATS to all you that made it.:)
  46. stormy91

stormy91

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey congratulations!!!

I applied to that school as well. Did you submit your application before the February deadline? I wasn't sure whether to choose UMDNJ or Houstan TX. :p
  47. socalkitty

socalkitty

Pre-Dental
    so, april 1st is a sunday, will it still post?
  48. MdBOO

MdBOO

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!!! Yes I completed my application like in Jan. Both sites are good choices Good Luck!!!! You'll definitely get in!!!!
  49. Zora98

Zora98 The Stethoscope Weilder Bronze Donor

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Alright, so Columbia is currently reviewing my application, which is good. April 1st can't come soon enough XD
  50. biodaychemnight

biodaychemnight

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow, that's great. So even though the website said that Columbia was full, it seems that there are still some open spots. Columbia isn't reviewing my application now (or they haven't updated my application status), but Yale finally is. Hope you get accepted!!
    :)

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal