**Official SMDEP 2012 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok I feel calmer, lol. I already announced to friends I got accepted but then haven't heard from them. There is a Duke SMDEP 2012 page to formally register, I found it googling "confirmation" info.

Anyone else going to Duke having the same problem? Or is anyone going to Duke who's already been sent their confirmation email?
You won't get an acceptance email for like another month. I just checked back in my email account and they sent me one last year around late March. The good thing is that you already confirmed so you're good to go!!

Members don't see this ad.

You won't get an acceptance email for like another month. I just checked back in my email account and they sent me one last year around late March. The good thing is that you already confirmed so you're good to go!!

Thanks Epfrias,

I was starting to get a tad nervous... lol. There's nothing like thinking you were accepted into a program to find out you were not. Talk about, "that sucks!" So since you were sent an acceptance email last year, did you participate at an SMDEP program site? If so, which one? And how was your experience? Again, thanks for reassuring me about the email, it took a load off of my already stressed mind. :)

My application is now in review for UVA but not for Columbia or Yale. Does this mean that Columbia and Yale don't have any seats for the second round apps?

no the same thing happened to me, they started reviewing at different times. I have heard Columbia no longer has seats though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do guys even think I should still submit my appliation. The deadline is march 1st. I almost have the application ready. Most likely, everything will be sent on Tuesday.

Does everything have tonarrive before march1st?

Do guys even think I should still submit my appliation. The deadline is march 1st. I almost have the application ready. Most likely, everything will be sent on Tuesday.

Does everything have tonarrive before march1st?

I think you SHOULD submit it! You'll always wonder. And you never know, you might get picked!! Go for it!!! ^^

(It has to be post marked by March 1st! As long as the post office stamps it by the 1st, you're ok.)

Thanks Epfrias,

I was starting to get a tad nervous... lol. There's nothing like thinking you were accepted into a program to find out you were not. Talk about, "that sucks!" So since you were sent an acceptance email last year, did you participate at an SMDEP program site? If so, which one? And how was your experience? Again, thanks for reassuring me about the email, it took a load off of my already stressed mind. :)
Lol yea that would really suck. I attended Smdep at Duke and it was an amazing experience! Honestly this program is one of the best experiences for students who are looking for medical exposure and clinical experience. You won't regret it:) which one are you attending?

Since I only have three schools to choose from how would I know which school is full. What would you consider a safe school.

Can anyone advise me,

How did you choose a program, especially since I am so close to the deadline. What if the program is full.

Lol yea that would really suck. I attended Smdep at Duke and it was an amazing experience! Honestly this program is one of the best experiences for students who are looking for medical exposure and clinical experience. You won't regret it:) which one are you attending?

I confirmed with Duke. Gosh, I keep hearing so may wonderful things about SMDEP, I don't think I can contain myself!! Lol

Can anyone advise me,

How did you choose a program, especially since I am so close to the deadline. What if the program is full.

I chose the site based on the experience I hope to gain. Although they are all SMDEP, each school has its own reputation. If you want a sunny environment maybe you'd want to go west to Cali; you've heard University of Washington is in a state that isn't very diverse so you'd like to change it, whatever interests YOU. Of course there are schools that go quicker than others, so if ANY site suits you (I hear EVERY site is fantastic) then apply to the "least" popular (maybe not NYC but somewhere more rural) . Hope that helps! :) And keep in mind EVERY site is prime choice. So there's no losing site!

Last edited:
Thank you for the response.

Since I am applying so close to the deadline I have to submit my application strategically. Columbia is full and I read that duke , Yale , and Western are top choices so they will be more competitive to apply. What schools would you recommend to be safety schools. I already thought on UMDNJ, but what other school do you feel will have a greater increase in my acceptance.

Thanks for any input :)

I confirmed with Duke. Gosh, I keep hearing so may wonderful things about SMDEP, I don't think I can contain myself!! Lol
GO DUKE!! lol if you haven't been to their campus, you're gonna love it! It's absolutely beautiful and I must warn you, it's very warm in NC but at least you'll have air conditioning:)

Members don't see this ad :)
GO DUKE!! lol if you haven't been to their campus, you're gonna love it! It's absolutely beautiful and I must warn you, it's very warm in NC but at least you'll have air conditioning:)

I keep hearing that! I was sold when I read air-conditioned rooms, hahaha. I've been to Atlanta around the summertime so it shouldn't be too different. But I'm from NYC where the humidity is far worse than the mercury rising. Ty for the heads up!!! :-D

Thank you for the response.

Since I am applying so close to the deadline I have to submit my application strategically. Columbia is full and I read that duke , Yale , and Western are top choices so they will be more competitive to apply. What schools would you recommend to be safety schools. I already thought on UMDNJ, but what other school do you feel will have a greater increase in my acceptance.

Thanks for any input :)

I don't know all the sites but try looking for schools that aren't going to be filled by the time they receive your application. But times a tickin. Pick ur top schiol that is open. Pick your second and maybe pick you least.

I keep hearing that! I was sold when I read air-conditioned rooms, hahaha. I've been to Atlanta around the summertime so it shouldn't be too different. But I'm from NYC where the humidity is far worse than the mercury rising. Ty for the heads up!!! :-D
Haha I definitely know about how bad summer can be in NYC, I'm from there too lol.

I sent my transcripts in a week ago. Are they suppose to arrive by the deadline. The website doesn't really clarify.

I sent my transcripts in a week ago. Are they suppose to arrive by the deadline. The website doesn't really clarify.
The website says everything should be postmarked by March 1st. Which means that it doesn't really matter if they get there after that date just as long as it has been postmarked by March 1st, but of course the sooner the better!

April 1 seems like its never coming!!! I applied to Yale,UW, and Nebraska and I want to know if I got in now!! I guess Yale is full so I'm hoping for UW to come through.:xf:

When you choose which sites you want to attend it says so in parenthesis (site is full) currently Columbia, Yale and Duke are full.

Actually Yale isn't full...second round applications for Yale are listed as "in review". Columbia on the other hand is not reviewing applications at all, which means that they are (most likely) full.

Hey! So some people say that their application is "in for review" next to their schools but mine is still blank. It says "--". Is this normal? :confused:

Hey! So some people say that their application is "in for review" next to their schools but mine is still blank. It says "--". Is this normal? :confused:

That's normal. It just means that either they haven't gotten to your application yet or they haven't updated the site. My sites never said "in review" but I was accepted into all three of them.

When you choose which sites you want to attend it says so in parenthesis (site is full) currently Columbia, Yale and Duke are full.

I'll have to agree about Columbia and Duke being full (maybe, we probably won't know for sure), but now my Yale application says "in review". I know that doesn't mean a definite acceptance, but it still leaves some hope to anyone who applied to Yale.

I attended Columbia summer of '10. If anyone has any questions; feel free to PM me!

There should be an SMDEP Duke 2012 group!! :) I wouldn't mind starting it, unless of course someone else has beat me to the punch OR prefers to create it. Yaaaay!!

I met the Chancellor of the Medical School, Dean of Admissions, and the Director of SMDEP at UCLA yesterday. They are amazing people. The school and the hospital (which is brand new) are just amazing. If you got accepted there im sure you will have something up against the other sites. Not to mention the weather is amazing there. Good Luck Everyone!

I sent my LOR like 6 days ago. They were sent by mail not fax, how long does it take for them to receive them. I called and they had me on hold for 45 min until I decided to hang up.

I sent my LOR like 6 days ago. They were sent by mail not fax, how long does it take for them to receive them. I called and they had me on hold for 45 min until I decided to hang up.

To my knowledge, everything was supposed to be postmarked by March 1. So if you mailed it 6 days ago, which would make it the 6th of Mar, it may be too late. You'll know their decision on April 1. Much success! :)

just got the checklist and survival booklet in an email can't wait for SMDEP UMDNJ 2012!!!:woot::cool::soexcited:

To my knowledge, everything was supposed to be postmarked by March 1. So if you mailed it 6 days ago, which would make it the 6th of Mar, it may be too late. You'll know their decision on April 1. Much success! :)

Sorry I got confused, my application was complete on 03/05 but I submitted everything on 03/01. I recently check my status and one of LOR is "received" but the other is still blank. I wonder why if they were both sent the same day. Is it true that they review applications without looking at the LOR?

Anyways, CONGRATS to all you that made it.:)

just got the checklist and survival booklet in an email can't wait for SMDEP UMDNJ 2012!!!:woot::cool::soexcited:

Hey congratulations!!!

I applied to that school as well. Did you submit your application before the February deadline? I wasn't sure whether to choose UMDNJ or Houstan TX. :p

Hey congratulations!!!

I applied to that school as well. Did you submit your application before the February deadline? I wasn't sure whether to choose UMDNJ or Houstan TX. :p
Thanks!!! Yes I completed my application like in Jan. Both sites are good choices Good Luck!!!! You'll definitely get in!!!!

Alright, so Columbia is currently reviewing my application, which is good. April 1st can't come soon enough XD

Alright, so Columbia is currently reviewing my application, which is good. April 1st can't come soon enough XD

Wow, that's great. So even though the website said that Columbia was full, it seems that there are still some open spots. Columbia isn't reviewing my application now (or they haven't updated my application status), but Yale finally is. Hope you get accepted!!
:)

Is University of Washington reviewing anyone's application? It's been blank for a really long time and I'm anxious for them to start reviewing my application.

Mine is... idk, SMDEP is really late in updating their stuff.

Mine is blank too, and thats were I really want to go. I emailed them today and they said that everything is already complete for everyone and to patiently wait until the 1st. Oh well :xf:

Congrats! Columbia and Yale are also reviewing my app. I was getting really nervous because I heard there were no more available spots,, but now at least there is some hope :)

Hey you guys I applied to Nebraska Howard and Duke I really want to go to Duke. Both Nebraska and Howard are reviewing my application but Duke still has the two dashes. April 1st is coming soon. Does that mean that Duke will not be looking at my application?

Hey you guys I applied to Nebraska Howard and Duke I really want to go to Duke. Both Nebraska and Howard are reviewing my application but Duke still has the two dashes. April 1st is coming soon. Does that mean that Duke will not be looking at my application?

no dont worry, they will eventually look at your application before the deadline. SMDEP undates like once a week so by next week all of them should be under review.

Good Luck :luck:

For the people that have been accepted, did you guys receive a phone call/ e-mail of acceptance or did you just wait until the admission decision date? Do they always call the people that get accepted to the program?

For the people that have been accepted, did you guys receive a phone call/ e-mail of acceptance or did you just wait until the admission decision date? Do they always call the people that get accepted to the program?

They don't tell you until the decision date. I received an email after I accepted my site.