Official SMDEP 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahrk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

The applications for the SMDEP 2013 program are opening soon! I checked for any other SMDEP 2013 thread but couldn't find one...

Anyone have any tips for getting accepted into certain schools?

Where are you guys applying to this year? What are your top three choices?

I heard the applications aren't considered on a rolling basis anymore, but do you still think applying early can improve your chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

The applications for the SMDEP 2013 program are opening soon! I checked for any other SMDEP 2013 thread but couldn't find one...

Anyone have any tips for getting accepted into certain schools?

Where are you guys applying to this year? What are your top three choices?

I heard the applications aren't considered on a rolling basis anymore, but do you still think applying early can improve your chances?

How did you find out about applications not being on a rolling basis? Just curious.

Application was supposed to come out today... now they're saying tomorrow at 12 am. :( I'm highly considering applying to Houston, Columbia, and Nebraska, but I haven't decided on anything for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as it is this week, I am totally okay with a little wait! I wish I could apply to more, but my school is on a weird schedule and 90% of the sites I can't apply to :( sad!

i did this program in 2009 at columbia. great experience. i highly recommend it. if you guys have any questions let me know.

To Double A, I sent you PM.

Also,
I don't know if anyone has this issue, but the login screen gives me an error when I put in my user name and password. Yes, I know it is case sensitive and I know I put everything correctly. Hopefully, they fix it soon or maybe I'm the only one with this problem.

does anyone know if i need a separate letter of recommendation or can filling the form that smdep provides enough? please let me know and thank you!

SMDEP is awesome! I went this summer to the UVA location and had an amazing time.

To Double A, I sent you PM.

Also,
I don't know if anyone has this issue, but the login screen gives me an error when I put in my user name and password. Yes, I know it is case sensitive and I know I put everything correctly. Hopefully, they fix it soon or maybe I'm the only one with this problem.

Im having the same error, i hope this clears up soon....:scared:

How competitive is this program and would this be a good summer ec for a freshman?

I did SMDEP this past summer at Columbia as a freshman and it was the best experience I could have done! I would highly recommend doing it as a freshman because it really helps you know what your next step should be! all the sophomores who were in the program were kind of upset they did not do this as a freshman. It is highly competitive but do not be discouraged by your grades. I was not happy with my grades and I applied to Columbia out of a whim not thinking I would even get in, but I did and I am so happy I applied! If you have any questions just let me know!

On one of the main pages for the site, it says that they are have technical issues and the form should be working around November 7th, so hopefully by the end of the week it is opened!

Lets do this......anyone going to louisville or columbia, pm me!

Members don't see this ad :)
I need this application process to start already! :D

Do you know where you are going already? Or is Columbia just where you want to go?

I'm somewhat skeptical about joining since I really don't wanna waste my summer. Do they teach things that can't be found on SDN? What makes this program so good?

How did you find out about applications not being on a rolling basis? Just curious.

I talked to a SMDEP rep, that's what she said. Then again, applying early will NEVER hurt your chances!

Yes! Do you have any application tips and pointers? I want to apply to 3 really good schools, but i'm scared to take that risk. Any advice?

I did SMDEP this past summer at Columbia as a freshman and it was the best experience I could have done! I would highly recommend doing it as a freshman because it really helps you know what your next step should be! all the sophomores who were in the program were kind of upset they did not do this as a freshman. It is highly competitive but do not be discouraged by your grades. I was not happy with my grades and I applied to Columbia out of a whim not thinking I would even get in, but I did and I am so happy I applied! If you have any questions just let me know!

Yes! Do you have any application tips and pointers? I want to apply to 3 really good schools, but i'm scared to take that risk. Any advice?

i did this program in 2009 at columbia. great experience. i highly recommend it. if you guys have any questions let me know.

I have tons of questions! What do you think is the best way to apply? Applying to three really good sites or just one good site and two okay ones? What credentials did you include in your application that you think got you admitted into the Columbia program?

Just be yourself especially in your essays. I talked a lot about how being a URM has shaped my life and how my experiences in being a URM has in some ways helped me determine that I want to be a doctor. If you want I don't think it will hurt to apply to three good schools. I know people who were in my program who were choosing between Columbia and Yale. Then again many people I know did apply to a safety just in case. If youre a freshman then dont worry because you can always apply for the next summer. Just look at your EC and essay and figure out if you think you have good chances of getting into three really good schools or you can apply to one safety. All the programs are fantastic, they all offer a few different things. if you have any more questions just let me know.

This thread has been somewhat inactive but hopefully someone replies to me! :)

I solicited my letters of recommendations and for one of the people writing my LOR, on my smdep app his last name is spelled wrong (stupid mistake i know). however when I printed off the LOR form I changed it to the correct spelling (for obvious reasons). Will this mess up my application? For example will it not technically MATCH with my application because the spelling differences? The spelling is minor btw, I have an e on the professors last name when there isn't one...

I'm kinda freaking out here, I really want to do SMDEP!

I suggest you just call the office. Their answer would most likely be: "If you have put your SMDEP ID correctly on the cover sheet for the LOR then the office should be able to figure it out."

I have tons of questions! What do you think is the best way to apply? Applying to three really good sites or just one good site and two okay ones? What credentials did you include in your application that you think got you admitted into the Columbia program?

i think it's more about what each site is looking for in an applicant than overall credentials. i would read up on the different sites and tailor your essay accordingly - interest in serving underrepresented populations, etc.

For LORs, I was wondering if one of them could be a hospital employee from the hospital that I volunteered at this summer? I know the website says a prehealth advisor and/or a college professor but then it also says stuff about high school teachers and employers...I was just wondering if they would accept this a rec letter?

What are the dates of the accruals programs at Duke and Yale?

Just finished applying with a 2.7 GPA from a disadvantaged community. What are my chances? Applied to University of Washington, UCLA and Columbia.

Thanks.

Does being a Gates Scholar help your chances with SMDEP?
Also is applying around Jan 20 too late? I have my application completed but my recs will be rolling in around that time?

Designated Sites: Probably Yale, Duke, Case West.
African American female, probably 3.7ish, extracurriculars, Gates, blah blah blah...

Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone is having trouble actually writing this application? None of the little drop down menus are acsessible for me no matter what browser I use.
If anyone has any tips, let me know!

Just kidding! I was being a bit slow on that one! Had to fill out something before the rest of the app opens up! All fine now! Thanks!

Just wondering...do we need one transcript for each program we're applying too or just one transcript for the entire program? Thanks in advance!

So my GPA is around a 2.9, I have shadowing experience, lab experience, hospital volunteering experience, what are my chances of getting in?

What are they looking for when they read the personal statement and essay? I think if I can wow them with my essays, I might be able to squeeze myself in. Is GPA weighted heavily in acceptance?

Thanks! :D

Hi Everyone! I did SMDEP back in 2010. I would be happy to answer any questions here or over PM.

Just wondering...do we need one transcript for each program we're applying too or just one transcript for the entire program? Thanks in advance!

You just need to submit one copy of your transcript to the National Program Office. Make sure you tell your Registrar's Office to include the SMDEP Transcript Matching Form.

So my GPA is around a 2.9, I have shadowing experience, lab experience, hospital volunteering experience, what are my chances of getting in?

What are they looking for when they read the personal statement and essay? I think if I can wow them with my essays, I might be able to squeeze myself in. Is GPA weighted heavily in acceptance?
D

There were at least 5 people at my program site who had GPA < 3.0. I think that it is possible as long as you apply broadly. Your school list looks good. I don't know exactly how heavily GPA is weighted, but I know that some schools seem to be more forgiving than others, particularly if you fit their mission statement. It also seems to help at some sites (UW) if you speak Spanish. You're right, you will want to wow them with your essays.

The best advice that I can give regarding essays to remember that the program is seeking people interested in Primary Care. It would be great if you could relate some of your current experiences to primary care/why you think primary care is important. They are also looking for someone who is knowledgeable as to why diversity is important in healthcare (you might want to do some reading about healthcare disparities/language barriers in healthcare). It is best if you can weave these ideas in with some personal anecdotes. Sorry if that's vague/unclear. I can try to clarify it a little bit if needed.

Good luck!

Hi Everyone! I did SMDEP back in 2010. I would be happy to answer any questions here or over PM.

You just need to submit one copy of your transcript to the National Program Office. Make sure you tell your Registrar's Office to include the SMDEP Transcript Matching Form.

There were at least 5 people at my program site who had GPA < 3.0. I think that it is possible as long as you apply broadly. Your school list looks good. I don't know exactly how heavily GPA is weighted, but I know that some schools seem to be more forgiving than others, particularly if you fit their mission statement. It also seems to help at some sites (UW) if you speak Spanish. You're right, you will want to wow them with your essays.

The best advice that I can give regarding essays to remember that the program is seeking people interested in Primary Care. It would be great if you could relate some of your current experiences to primary care/why you think primary care is important. They are also looking for someone who is knowledgeable as to why diversity is important in healthcare (you might want to do some reading about healthcare disparities/language barriers in healthcare). It is best if you can weave these ideas in with some personal anecdotes. Sorry if that's vague/unclear. I can try to clarify it a little bit if needed.

Good luck!
Thanks!! I'm actually from deep south Texas (one of the poorest regions in the US), so I've lived my entire life around those who really can't afford health care services. I think I'll use this to my advantage in my personal statements.

Are there any books or articles you suggest me read in order to learn more about all of this? I REALLY want this badly and I'll go to any length to get accepted!

Thanks again!

Thanks!! I'm actually from deep south Texas (one of the poorest regions in the US), so I've lived my entire life around those who really can't afford health care services. I think I'll use this to my advantage in my personal statements.

Are there any books or articles you suggest me read in order to learn more about all of this? I REALLY want this badly and I'll go to any length to get accepted!

Thanks again!

I think that's a really great starting point, as your personal experiences will ultimately be the driving force of your essays. :thumbup:

I don't know if you've seen this before, but during SMDEP they screened the documentary Unnatural Causes (http://www.unnaturalcauses.org/), which might give you some additional insight into health disparities. When I wrote my essays, I remember google being extremely helpful with diversity/disparities research, but here's an article to get you started: http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/10/04/prsa1004.htm.

I think that's a really great starting point, as your personal experiences will ultimately be the driving force of your essays. :thumbup:

I don't know if you've seen this before, but during SMDEP they screened the documentary Unnatural Causes (http://www.unnaturalcauses.org/), which might give you some additional insight into health disparities. When I wrote my essays, I remember google being extremely helpful with diversity/disparities research, but here's an article to get you started: http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/10/04/prsa1004.htm.
YOU ARE AWESOME. I hope you don't mind if I direct message you sometime in the future. Your little advice has already helped me out tons. Thanks!!! :)

YOU ARE AWESOME. I hope you don't mind if I direct message you sometime in the future. Your little advice has already helped me out tons. Thanks!!! :)

No problem! Feel free to PM me. Best of luck!

I'm your twin in regards to statistics. Write a killer essay dude!

Did you already attend an SMDEP program, or are you applying?

Hey guys,

just womdering if SMDEP gives preferences to disadvantaged backgrounds or anything?

Hey all, I did SMDEP at UCLA 2010. PM me any questions or just quote me here.

Hey guys,

just womdering if SMDEP gives preferences to disadvantaged backgrounds or anything?

Yes. They will give preference if you are a URM, are socioeconomically disadvantage, or grew up in a medically underserved area.

Do you guys know if it is possible to leave an SMDEP program a couple days early? My dad's company is sending us on a huge vacation from July 1-6, and I really want to apply to the Houston program, which runs until the 3rd. Would they let me leave two days early, or is it essential that I be there for the last days? And what exactly do you do during those last two days?

I really want to spend time with my family, but I also need this summer to be productive. In my opinion it's kind of ridiculous that med schools expect us to give up our whole summer. I already can't apply to research programs because of this vacation, so I need something else to fill in my resume.

Hi Bookish:

I did SMDEP a couple of summers ago and it was a great program. I am now an SMDEP ambassador and can answer your questions. The last two days are very important in the program because group presentations and the final award ceremony take place (this is the most exciting part of the whole program). You also need to be present the last day of the program because checkout takes place; this is when you hand out your room keys and ID badge and they give you your last paycheck.
The only case when they would allow you to leave the program early is if you had a family emergency or a personal health problem and you could submit proof of it.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

-I also like smelling old books.:thumbup:

Did anyone attend SMDEP at Yale? What was your schedule like?

Last edited:
Hi Bookish:

I did SMDEP a couple of summers ago and it was a great program. I am now an SMDEP ambassador and can answer your questions. The last two days are very important in the program because group presentations and the final award ceremony take place (this is the most exciting part of the whole program). You also need to be present the last day of the program because checkout takes place; this is when you hand out your room keys and ID badge and they give you your last paycheck.
The only case when they would allow you to leave the program early is if you had a family emergency or a personal health problem and you could submit proof of it.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

-I also like smelling old books.:thumbup:

Thank you! It looks like we may be able to push the vacation back a week, so I will be good to apply to the Houston program, but it looks like that's the only one I will be able to apply to. :scared:

I have a couple other questions, if you don't mind. Would you recommend I include SAT subject test scores? My SAT is kind of unbalanced (740 CR, 620 Math and 650 Writing). I took the SAT Literature and Biology M Test and got a 790 and 780 respectively. Should I include these scores? Will the admissions people even look at them?

Also, is anyone else having trouble with the application form? Every time I try to finish the Other Demographic Info section it gives me an error message. I emailed SMDEP, but they weren't much help.