*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post any questions relating to the TMDSAS Application here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is the TMDSAS personal statement character restriction really 5000 characters or actually 62 lines x 80 chars/line = 4960 chars as it was a few years ago?

Thanks (and hoping it's 5000!) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how long it takes to fill out the TMDSAS? This doesn't include time for writing the essays, just putting in biographical information, academic information, activities, etc. Thanks.

I was wondering how long it takes to fill out the TMDSAS? This doesn't include time for writing the essays, just putting in biographical information, academic information, activities, etc. Thanks.

I was able to get the whole thing done pretty quickly.

I recommend that, since TMDSAS generates a "Timeline" chronologically showing what you've been up to for your entire post-HS, that you do the same for yourself and figure out what you want to go on there. That was something helpful that I did during the process.

You have less space (I think I'm not getting this flip-flopped) on TMDSAS than on AMCAS for your activity descriptions, so make sure you can encapsulate them in just a few sentences. Brevity is the soul of awesomeness.

If you're looking for something to work on, put in your time on the three essays. The two extra essays are definitely worth doing unless you're a truly terrible writer and don't want to lower their impression of you any more than you already did in the PS. ;) Also, some of the schools have secondaries and you can begin working on those-- some of the questions were sort of thought-provoking, and you may as well get an early start. I looked up all the questions from last years' threads, and found that 0% changed for my application cycle.

Good luck!

Sorry for all of the questions. For Optional Essay 1, the prompt indicates that "This area is not to continue your essay or reiterate what you have previously stated: this area is provided to address any issues which have not previously been addressed" in relation to briefly discussing any unique circumstances or life experiences relevant to the application.

Does this simply mean I can't go on talking about things from my Personal Statement like why I want to be a doctor, etc.? Or does it mean that I should not be introducing any other new accomplishments or pre-medical experiences at all?

Thanks again :)

I am a bit confused about the Letters of Evaluation. My school does not have Health Professions Committee so I will be sending the two individual letters of evaluation.

So from what I read, I cannot directly send my letters from Interfolio to TMDSAS I have to fill out the TMDSAS Evaluation Form and give it to my letter writers and then they send the whole thing to TMDSAS. Is that correct?

I am a bit confused about the Letters of Evaluation. My school does not have Health Professions Committee so I will be sending the two individual letters of evaluation.

So from what I read, I cannot directly send my letters from Interfolio to TMDSAS I have to fill out the TMDSAS Evaluation Form and give it to my letter writers and then they send the whole thing to TMDSAS. Is that correct?

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/evaluation_Form.html

The TMDSAS Evaluation Form is strongly recommended by the medical schools. TMDSAS will accept letters of evaluation that arrive without the Evaluation Form. However, we will NOT accept an Evaluation Form that is received without an accompanying letter of evaluation.

If you graduated a long time ago, or you can't seem to locate your former professor, then it's ok. But if you can, get your prof to fill out the eval.

I applied last year to TMDSAS schools.

I had a question about re-using the essays. I re-wrote my personal statement from scratch, but I was wondering how bad it would be to update and reuse the other essays?

I applied last year to TMDSAS schools.

I had a question about re-using the essays. I re-wrote my personal statement from scratch, but I was wondering how bad it would be to update and reuse the other essays?

Just rewrite them all... I know that it would be easier to use the same secondary essays, but then you would be omitting what you learned as a reapplicant, which is something that I believe will help you. I figure, if you didn’t get in with what you turned in last year, then you need to start over because it didn’t work for you in the first place... It’s not bad to use part of them again, especially to the mundane questions they ask, like why you withdrew from classes, etc. But for the real secondary questions, you should start from scratch and maybe include that you are a reapplicant and list the things you have done to strengthen your application.

I agree, best thing to do is to rewrite them and build off of the ideas you presented in your essays. I understand the position you are in and I can certainly assist you with it because I got into medical school after the 2nd time! BEST FEELING EVER! Worth the wait!

I also understand that this is the most crucial time period for those who are applying for June applications. If anyone wants, you can email me the essay and I can send feedback and provide additional ideas based on the essays that I wrote to get into medical school. My email address is [email protected] and I'll make sure I get back to you within 3 days of your email! If I don't get back to you guys in time, then please bear with me...I'm in medical school!

Goodluck guys, definitely take advantage of this opportunity because when I was applying, I didn't have many people to fall back on. Hopefully you guys are much well off than I was.

Best regards.

P.S. If any of you are interested in GW Med, I'll be more than happy to answer your questions =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be bad to submit my application if I am currently finishing up my Spring semester?

For coursework I selected Not Yet Reported for my grades for the courses I am taking this semester. Does this mean they will be updated when I receive my official transcript with all of my scores?

Thanks

So I'm applying this upcoming cycle and I wanted to know should I wait till I retake my MCAT in July or just submit everything else and send in my new score when it's released in the summer? I have an MCAT score but I don't want to use that one...

Application opened today and first page wants to know if I intent to apply to any non-TMDSAS medical schools. Why do they want this? I intent to apply to a lot, probably a dozen or so, and it wants to know each one. Does this list have to be accurate of what I actually end up doing?

How do withdrawals factor into TMDSAS GPA? I withdrew from a class (transcript doesn't say withdraw pass or withdraw fail) and in the TMDSAS GPA it says "Q". I guess that means "Quit"? Anyway does this count as a 0.00/F grade or is it just not factored in?

How do withdrawals factor into TMDSAS GPA? I withdrew from a class (transcript doesn't say withdraw pass or withdraw fail) and in the TMDSAS GPA it says "Q". I guess that means "Quit"? Anyway does this count as a 0.00/F grade or is it just not factored in?

It won't be factored into your GPA.

How should I enter an activity I do each summer but is slightly different each time? Since there is no limit, should I just enter it for each time? Thanks!

Hey I was wondering if anyone is having problems while filling out the application. It is painfully slow and a lot of times when I press save, nothing happens.

I think it's due to heavy traffic on the site due to it being the first day. I feel like it will be better as time wears down. Except, of course, if you wait till the deadline lol. Then it will be painfully slow again!

Application opened today and first page wants to know if I intent to apply to any non-TMDSAS medical schools. Why do they want this? I intent to apply to a lot, probably a dozen or so, and it wants to know each one. Does this list have to be accurate of what I actually end up doing?
+1. Anyone know this?

The application instructions say "Next, you will indicate if you are applying to any MD/PhD programs through AMCAS. You will also indicate if you intend to apply to any non-TMDSAS schools for the current application cycle."

The word "intend" makes it sound like they won't be upset if your list is not completely accurate.

Not happy about having to look up my ACT scores and HS class rank. Hopefully my HS or college can tell me my ACT score, or I'm out $30 just to check off a box (since I already listed my SAT...) ugh.

+1. Anyone know this?

The application instructions say "Next, you will indicate if you are applying to any MD/PhD programs through AMCAS. You will also indicate if you intend to apply to any non-TMDSAS schools for the current application cycle."

The word "intend" makes it sound like they won't be upset if your list is not completely accurate.

Just fill it out the the best of your ability... If you have no idea what other schools you are applying to, then leave it blank. Or you can just fill the rest of it out and come back to this part of the application when you do know which schools you are applying to. I am not sure exactly why they want to know that information, but it won't count against you when you apply.

Not happy about having to look up my ACT scores and HS class rank. Hopefully my HS or college can tell me my ACT score, or I'm out $30 just to check off a box (since I already listed my SAT...) ugh.

lol I remember being so annoyed by that. I decided to leave the SAT score blank and come back to it later, then discovered at one of my last interviews that I never actually filled it in. No one cared until this interviewer, and then when I apologized and told her my score, she snapped at me that it didn't even matter because they had my MCAT score already. So WHY ASK then!? :rolleyes:

Under the employment section when you are entering a job. At the part "When did you hold this job?" it then says enter this job for each period of time that you held it...My question is if I started a job summer before junior year and its a steady job that I will have until I graduate, do I really have to enter it like 3 different times? And, if so, do I put different dates under each one like May-Aug 2010, then Aug 2010 - May 2011, then May-Aug 2011, etc etc?

Under the employment section when you are entering a job. At the part "When did you hold this job?" it then says enter this job for each period of time that you held it...My question is if I started a job summer before junior year and its a steady job that I will have until I graduate, do I really have to enter it like 3 different times? And, if so, do I put different dates under each one like May-Aug 2010, then Aug 2010 - May 2011, then May-Aug 2011, etc etc?

Just select "other". I think they've tried to make it accommodating for the people who get a new job every school year and every summer. It still makes you fill out start/end month and year, which is all they will probably look at anyway.

Just select "other". I think they've tried to make it accommodating for the people who get a new job every school year and every summer. It still makes you fill out start/end month and year, which is all they will probably look at anyway.

Perfect, thanks!

I want to put in my app that I presented at a conference and am working on submitting a publication. Where would be the best place to put it? Research activities?

I am confused since it asks for the Start month/year End month/year which doesn't make since.

Just fill it out the the best of your ability... If you have no idea what other schools you are applying to, then leave it blank. Or you can just fill the rest of it out and come back to this part of the application when you do know which schools you are applying to. I am not sure exactly why they want to know that information, but it won't count against you when you apply.
Thanks!

Someone in last year's TMDSAS thread said they were for survey purposes
Not very, I think it's just for survey purposes or something
I'll probably just put down the schools I know I'm going to apply to.

Hey fellow applicants! I am just looking at the extracurricular activities portion of the application and wondering what exactly to put here? I feel like my extracurricular activites (I.E. running, raquetball) seem silly to put on my app.. is this similar to what each of you are putting?

Hey fellow applicants! I am just looking at the extracurricular activities portion of the application and wondering what exactly to put here? I feel like my extracurricular activites (I.E. running, raquetball) seem silly to put on my app.. is this similar to what each of you are putting?

I'm putting traveling and reading. I just started running and doing weightlifting so I might as well put that. Unfortunately I work 48-72 hours a week and I'm a big homebody. Things like "going out to restaurants", "watching movies", and "hanging with friends and the girlfriend" probably shouldn't go there :D

So, I feel you. My life has been work, school, and the MCAT for the past 2-3 years.

I'm putting traveling and reading. I just started running and doing weightlifting so I might as well put that. Unfortunately I work 48-72 hours a week and I'm a big homebody. Things like "going out to restaurants", "watching movies", and "hanging with friends and the girlfriend" probably shouldn't go there :D

So, I feel you. My life has been work, school, and the MCAT for the past 2-3 years.

I'll just add that while its OK to include things that seem rather trivial (I'm putting hiking and mountain biking) if they are in fact meaningful to you, you had better be prepared to talk in-depth in interviews about any hobbies you put down.

Can you send these letters of rec directly to TMDSAS? instead of using a service like interfolio

Can you send these letters of rec directly to TMDSAS? instead of using a service like interfolio

well by "directly" do you mean from a professor or your schools' career center?

then yes

if by "directly" you mean from you

no

I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of secondary essay prompts for the TMDSAS schools that have secondaries. That way those of us who are interested can get a head start of them even if we aren't done with our TMDSAS primary application yet.

So far it looks like UNTHSC (DO), Texas Tech Lubbock, and Southwestern have begun accepting secondaries. I made preliminary accounts at those schools and looked at everything the secondaries ask. I will try and update Texas A&M's when they make theirs available. According to TMDSAS UT-San Antonio, UT-Houston, and UT-Galveston do not have secondaries.

UNTHSC

1. In your own words, explain the concept of osteopathic medicine as you understand it. (1000 Characters or less)
  2. What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1000 Characters or less)

It also asks:

• Do you have any family members who are osteopathic physicians?
  • If you attend more than two colleges/universities, esplain why.
  • If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application.
  • All MCAT scores in last 5 years.
  • If you have an additional evaluation letter to submit it provides instructions on how to do so.
  • Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged? If yes, please explain.
  • Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged? If yes, please explain.

Texas Tech Lubbock

1. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1. Question #1 allows you to checkbox any of the following areas of interest: Family Medicine Accelerated Track, interest in practicing in an underserved area, interest in rural health, interest in medical research, interest in medical academics, interest in primary care, interest in border health, and other.
  2. If you have had to repeat, withdraw from or drop a course, please list and explain why.
  3. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?
  4. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)
  5. (Optional) If you are a dual degree applicant (MD/MBA, MD/PhD, JD/MD); please describe your motivation (in 500 words or less) to obtain a dual degree and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)
  6. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less)?

UT Southwestern

• It looks like we have to enter all our grades in premedical courses (English, Bio, Gen Chem, OChem, Physics, Calc/Stats) again like on the TMDSAS primary application

1. Checkbox if you are interested in practicing in an underserved area, a career in research, a career in teaching, or a career in primary care medicine. You are provided a text box to LIST (not paragraphs) experiences you have had related to and supportive of this interest.
  2. Describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine. (500 words)

That's all I could find for now. If you have more to add, just quote this and insert your additions. I will also come back to update as any other Texas secondaries, including Baylor's, become available.

Last edited:
It looks like the "Family" section is down right now.... I keep getting the error message " An error occurred while processing your request."
Of course this happens when I actually want to change something...

It looks like the "Family" section is down right now.... I keep getting the error message " An error occurred while processing your request."
Of course this happens when I actually want to change something...

It's doing that for me, too.

UNTHSC

1. In your own words, explain the concept of osteopathic medicine as you understand it. (1000 Characters or less)
  2. What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1000 Characters or less)
It also asks:

• Do you have any family members who are osteopathic physicians?
  • If you attend more than two colleges/universities, esplain why.
  • If applicable, please update the information contained on your TMDSAS application.
  • All MCAT scores in last 5 years.
  • If you have an additional evaluation letter to submit it provides instructions on how to do so.
  • Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged? If yes, please explain.
  • Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged? If yes, please explain.
Hi! I can't find this secondary application....I'm on this website: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/admissions/onlineapps.cfm
Where can I access this app?
Thanks!

I wish I could exchange a few words with the guy who developed the TMDSAS website. Why must they make it so hard! grrrr ಠ_ಠ

Is it okay if all semblance of grammar and sentence design is thrown out the window as I try and accommodate my meaningful and detailed experiences to the 300 character limit? Already doing abbreviations and bullets.

I assume so, as long as it sounds professional. I threw out most pronouns and usually separated things with semi-colons instead of starting new sentences, so basically it sounds like resume-style writing.

ok, so i'm sorry if this is in the instructions...but i still don't get it.

can i submit the application before i send in the transcripts? it takes a few days for the stuff to get to tmdsas, but can i submit it now?

thx

I am a California resident but I lived in Texas for around 7 years while growing up before moving to California. I am considering applying to the Texas schools this coming cycle and am wondering if you think this would be a good idea or not. I guess in a way I have some sort of connection to Texas but I am not sure if it is enough considering my less than stellar MCAT scores. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is it okay if all semblance of grammar and sentence design is thrown out the window as I try and accommodate my meaningful and detailed experiences to the 300 character limit? Already doing abbreviations and bullets.

Everyone I know bullets, I did too. It's much better.

ok, so i'm sorry if this is in the instructions...but i still don't get it.

can i submit the application before i send in the transcripts? it takes a few days for the stuff to get to tmdsas, but can i submit it now?

thx

Yes, you can do it either way, but if I were you, I would submit the transcripts ASAP and then submit the application whenever you are finished...

I am a California resident but I lived in Texas for around 7 years while growing up before moving to California. I am considering applying to the Texas schools this coming cycle and am wondering if you think this would be a good idea or not. I guess in a way I have some sort of connection to Texas but I am not sure if it is enough considering my less than stellar MCAT scores. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To be honest, it is cheap to apply to Texas schools, so why not go for it anyway. If you are willing to do the extra application, then it is worth a shot. And your ties to Texas are not bad, but even if you had no ties to Texas, I would still tell you to apply...

Status
Not open for further replies.