*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post any questions relating to the TMDSAS Application here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!
Please remember that each thread has a search function in the header labeled "Search this Thread". Please use it to avoid repeating questions.

Please use the TMDSAS Application site as your first resource for questions. The website has a list of FAQ's and plenty of other information.

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/homepage.html
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If you have FAQ's you would like posted, feel free to send me a PM with the question and answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
TMDSAS Activities FAQ:

Available categories
(http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html)
ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
NON-ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
LEADERSHIP
EMPLOYMENT
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
HEALTHCARE ACTIVITIES
COMMUNITY SERVICE
EXTRACURRICULAR & LEISURE ACTIVITIES
PLANNED ACTIVITIES

1) Should I write descriptions in narrative or bullet form? They say either list or paragraph is fine. But as far as formatting goes in TMDSAS activity section, you will see that when you hit save, the listed items are strung together one after another (instead of each in separate lines). Many write in paragraphs because of this formatting issue to make it more readable. Be cautious if you want to use bullets (or hyphens in their place).

2) If there's a significant non-medical volunteer experience I did back in High School for 4 years, can I include it on my application? Some don't think your application should include activities that occurred before your college freshman year. Maybe bring it up in a "why do you want to be a doctor," Secondary, or interview.

3) Should I list all my shadowing together? Yes, but if it doesn’t fit gracefully into the 300 space limit, list the experiences separately.

4) If I had multiple leadership positions within an organization, do I list them separately on the TMDSAS? (ex: entry 1- VP of Org X, then separate entry 2 for Pres of Org X) Yes, as long as each leadership role required uniquely different components.

5) For an award that I have received multiple times (Dean's List) should I list it every time I earned it since it shows up on my transcript as well multiple times? Put it once and say earned x number of times, or list separately.

6) Where do you put publications, under Research Experiences? Do you just paste the citation into the description? You could just put the citation but if you can fit in a short description about what you did, include that.

7) What if I have multiple publications? If possible, put multiple publications under one entry for research with a 1 for the hours. As 300 chars aren’t enough for full citations one can abbreviate which author spot, the journal, and the year published (TMDSAS was called and the lady mentioned this would be fine).

8) My research lab is working on a publication for the next school year. I have the citation, so should I put this in the "planned activities" section? The perfect place to put this.

9) If I have a recurring volunteer experience that happens every winter break for the past 4 winter breaks, should I separate them into four entries or just clump them into one entry? If I clump them into one entry, do I just put down the dates for one and the total hours for one? Or do I put down total hours over 4 winters for cumulative? You could do either, one would probably put it in one, combine the hours, and mention how this was done every winter break as well as information about it (if you can fit it).

10) I already put under my medical volunteering section that I plan to continue a volunteer activity indefinitely, but should I also put it in again under future activities? Treat each section as a stand-alone section. An interviewer should be able to look at the Planned Activities section and know everything you are going participate in during the foreseeable future. One person calling TMDSAS reported they said, "For the planned activity you should enter the start date as today and it should be up to the date of med school matriculation."

11) I understand that for the PLANNED ACTIVITIES section, it's okay to list all of your continued activities even if you previously indicated in another section that they would run until May 2015 or whatever. Because each activity may fit the criteria for different categories (ex. community service AND leadership), which category would I select for that activity in the planned activities section? Do I make two nearly identical planned activities (one labeled community service and the other labeled leadership), or do I simply choose the most appropriate category? List it under the most appropriate category, but write the description in such a way that the reader would infer it falls under both. It shouldn’t be a problem if you list it twice though.

12) For the optional essays, is it better to fill out one versus not filling any of them out? I have a unique experience of being chosen to go to Washington DC for a conference as the only student from Texas attending. However, I read that essay is only for hardships and things of that nature. Is that true, or is my idea fine for that essay? Definitely write the essay as you're thinking. It's always a good idea to write the essays in the first place, especially considering that several TX schools have no Secondaries. Take every chance you're given to sell yourself. As for your specific idea, this is an opinion: don't read any subtext into the prompt. It asks for "unique circumstances or life experiences" that would provide the schools with a "broader picture of who you are". Your idea sounds like it fits the bill.

13) If the date range for a particular activity spans into the future, do they want us to list completed hours + projected hours under Total Cumulative Hours or do we just list the hours we have completed thus far? For example:

Date Range: September 2013-June 2015
September 2013-Present: 100 hours completed
Present-June 2015: 100 hours projected

Total Cumulative Hours = 200 or 100

TMDSAS, when called, said if the date range spans into the future, one should include projected hours in the Total Cumulative Hours.

14) After I typed up all my activities, I created the chronology of activities. It is all correct, but the description was cut off due to 50 characters limit. Do we need to fix this in the chronology of activities itself or is this ok? TMDSAS was called and they said to leave it truncated.
Answers extracted from the last two years of ~Official TMDSAS Questions Thread~ and credited to SDN posters who've helped previous Texas applicants and to the TMDSAS Help Line at 512-499-4785.
[This post is a work in progress.]

Last edited:
TMDSAS General FAQ

1) Can I add more schools after I submit? No.

2) Can I change a letter writer if necessary? Yes, you can change your letter writer. Per TMDSAS website:

"We understand that evaluators may change. You MUST update TMDSAS of an evaluator change immediately.

Once you have secured a different evaluator, please notify TMDSAS of the new evaluator. To make this change, email [email protected] . Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and the name of the evaluator that needs to be removed. Provide the following information for the evaluator that should be added:

Salutation (i.e. Dr, Prof, Mr, Mrs, etc.)
First name of Evaluator
Last name of Evaluator
Suffix (i.e. MD, PhD, etc.)
Relationship to you (Academic Advisor, HP Advisor, Professor, Business Associate, Work/Volunteer Supervisor, Other)
Letter delivery method (upload directly to TMDAS or through Interfolio)
Email address of evaluator if he/she will upload directly to TMDSAS"

3) How accurately does the "what schools on AMCAS are you applying to?" have to be on the TMDSAS? Not very, but be aware that interviewers can see your list.

4) What are "minor traffic violations"?

Minor traffic violations are those offenses not subject to a jail sentence. Types of minor traffic violations include speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, illegal parking, failure to stop, driving with an expired or invalid driver license that has not been suspended or revoked, and disobeying traffic lights signs or signals.

Examples of violations of law not considered minor traffic violations are: driving while intoxicated (DWI), driving under the influence (DUI), driving while license is suspended (DWLS), failure to appear (FTA), reckless driving, open container, and assault with a motor vehicle. These types of violations must be reported on your application.

5) Can you explain the Texas acceptance/match setup? TMDSAS opens in early May. Texas schools begin offering interviews in late June to early August (it varies). Interviews are handed out until around November or maybe December. No in-state acceptances are offered until November 15th, which is the beginning of the "pre-match period" that continues until December 31st. At this time, admissions are rolling. Applicants are permitted to hold as many prematch offers as they receive and continue interviewing elsewhere if you have more interviews lined up, but are encouraged to withdraw from any school they are sure they don't want to attend. You are permitted to keep all of these offers until the match. By a day in January (the 21st I think?) you are required to rank all schools you've interviewed at (they appear in a window on TMDSAS) in order of preference. On February 1st, a computer automatically matches candidates to their highest ranked school that gave them an acceptance, and auto-withdraws them from lower ranked schools, according to an algorithm. If you were holding multiple offers, you are thus withdrawn from schools you ranked lower. If you didn't have an offer, you have a chance to match to a school that didn't offer you yet. Interviewees who didn't match are put on waitlists if deemed "acceptable", and may or may not be told their position on the waitlist. After this point, based on any further movement of the classes (particularly from students withdrawing after picking up an OOS acceptance) acceptances are once again given out on a rolling basis. You can technically still pick up an acceptance until classes begin in late August (early September?), but it's considered rare for this to happen after May 15th.

If you do receive a match on Match Day, you cannot be pulled off the waitlist at any TMDSAS school past June 1. Only students who did not match anywhere can still be accepted after that date.

6) How do I enter in a zero credit class (or a W or an Audit)? TMDSAS won't let me enter 0 for credit hours. The 0 credit hour courses do not affect GPA whatsoever, so just leave them out, even though they show up on your transcript. Alternatively, if you enter a 1, TMDSAS will correct them when they verify your official transcript.

7) Is Pre-Calculus included in the BCMP GPA? Even though all math other than Calculus and Statistics are categorized as Other Science, it is still included in the BCPM GPA, per a call by gonnif to TMDSAS.
Answers credited to the many SDN posters who've helped previous Texas applicants and to the TMDSAS Help Line at 512-499-4785.
[This post is a work in progress.]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How soon do applicants submit their TMDSAS applications? Would it be considered late if I submit my application on June 3rd (same day I submit the AMCAS/ACCOMAS application)?
Thanks!

How soon do applicants submit their TMDSAS applications?
Would it be considered late if I submit my application on June 3rd (same day I submit the AMCAS/ACCOMAS application)?
The earliest you can submit is May 1, 2014: http://www.tmdsas.com/deadlines.html

Spring 2014 grades (or winter 2014 grades if on a quarter system) must be reported on your application before you can submit your application. If you did not take Spring 2014 coursework, you can submit as early as May 1st.

I don't know what is considered "late" in the TMDSAS cycle. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

How soon do applicants submit their TMDSAS applications? Would it be considered late if I submit my application on June 3rd (same day I submit the AMCAS/ACCOMAS application)?
Thanks!

I can't say for sure, but don't think it's late, because many students will want to wait until after final exams and for spring grades to be posted before applying. I wouldn't want to dip much into July, but would suggest up to mid-June is still fine.

For those of us waitlisted at non-TX schools, would it be potentially disadvantageous to submit our TMDSAS application before receiving a final decision?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks!
You should be good.

I submitted June 1st last year, and my MCAT score didn't come out until July 2nd (I think), so my app was only mostly complete until then. However, submitting without the MCAT still allows them to verify your transcripts and whatnot.

I got early interviews at most schools, one was even the first interview day they had, so, if you go this route, hopefully it will be the same for you!

Thanks!
I didn't submit until late July and got interviews at most of the schools. You'll be perfectly fine submitting in June.

Quick question - I'm a Texas resident, and am currently wait listed at a Texas school (Tech). I submitted quite late last cycle, and I think that played a major part in my lack of success regarding interview invites. I'm hoping to not repeat that rookie mistake, however, would it be bad form to go ahead and send in my application now? I assume that the school would be able to see when I reapply, and I'm not sure how that would reflect on their decision as far as getting off of the wait list goes. I would be more than willing to wait until mid June if you all think that's advisable. Thanks in advance for your help!

Quick question - I'm a Texas resident, and am currently wait listed at a Texas school (Tech). I submitted quite late last cycle, and I think that played a major part in my lack of success regarding interview invites. I'm hoping to not repeat that rookie mistake, however, would it be bad form to go ahead and send in my application now? I assume that the school would be able to see when I reapply, and I'm not sure how that would reflect on their decision as far as getting off of the wait list goes. I would be more than willing to wait until mid June if you all think that's advisable. Thanks in advance for your help!

I was in the same exact boat last application cycle (Tech as well!) and reapplied while I was still on the waitlist. I don't think that affects you getting off the waitlist at all. I asked someone from the admissions department last year, and their advice was to "hope for the best, but plan for the worst". Since you don't know when you would get off the waitlist, or even if you will, it is better to go ahead and plan for next cycle. Hope this helps, and best of luck with getting in this cycle!!

I was in the same exact boat last application cycle (Tech as well!) and reapplied while I was still on the waitlist. I don't think that affects you getting off the waitlist at all. I asked someone from the admissions department last year, and their advice was to "hope for the best, but plan for the worst". Since you don't know when you would get off the waitlist, or even if you will, it is better to go ahead and plan for next cycle. Hope this helps, and best of luck with getting in this cycle!!
Thanks for the advice! As an aside...did you happen to get in?

I didn't, but don't give up hope! I'm applying again this year and hope for better results!! I would also advise you to keep in contact with the admissions committee through the summer. Let them know what you are doing and your hopes for attending in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say for sure, but don't think it's late, because many students will want to wait until after final exams and for spring grades to be posted before applying. I wouldn't want to dip much into July, but would suggest up to mid-June is still fine.
Thanks everyone for responding! I'm pretty much "done" with all the components of the application - just a few touch ups here and there with minor polishing, but I'm also currently stressed with finals. I'd rather finish all my finals and whatnot so I can review my application with a clear mind before submitting it. But that's a relief. I plan on submitting by June 3rd, possibly earlier if I decided that my application is pristine and ready to be submitted. AMCAS will for sure be submitted on the first day.

DokterMom's Generic Advice for Texas Applicants:

The questions "What other schools should I apply to?" and "What are my chances?" get asked so often, I thought I'd post my advice here in the TMDSAS thread where many Texans will see it. Some key information:
  1. The Texas public medical schools (all but Baylor) are required by law to accept 90% of their class from in-state applicants. (Baylor must accept 75%) This is a huge in-state advantage, and what that means for you is that your application will get looked at. You will be one of ~3,500, not one of 10,000 applicants as happens as many mid-tier private schools.
  2. This also means that if your numbers are good, your ECs are good, you have no red flags, a decent personal statement and good LORs, that you will probably receive interview invitations from those schools where your numbers match their student profile. Some of the Texas schools have simple numeric formulas for sending interview invitations: ex. LizzieM > 70 = II.
  3. Plan on applying to all of the TMDSAS schools. You may think you absolutely don't want to go to school in, for example, El Paso or Lubbock. But read the school-specific threads before making that decision. The students who interview there and choose to attend give those schools RAVE reviews and absolutely LOVE them. So resist the urge to be a geography snob. (If you are invited for an interview and decide you don't want to go there, you can always withdraw.)
  4. Despite the 90% in-state mandate, the percentage of Texans accepted to medical school is about the same as the percentage of students from other states. We have a lot of schools, but also a lot of applicants. So don't let your friends put a guilt trip on you.
  5. Tuition for in-state students (and generally also for accepted OOS students) is really, really low. Like $15,000 per year low. You get more 'bang for your buck' by attending a Texas medical school than anywhere else in the country. Certainly true when you factor in the quality of the schools. This is a big deal, since most medical students will end up being responsible for a big chunk of their educational expenses. And this cost differential factors into a lot of the other 'facts of life' for Texas applicants.
    1. The cost difference between a TX Public school and an OOS Private could be as high as $200,000 over four years. This translates into post-residency student loan payments of about $2,300 per month. (That's the difference folks, not the total.)
    2. Once students realize this, most will have a strong preference for in-state schools.
  6. OOS Private school admissions committees are already very well aware of this cost difference, which makes students with Texas residency a low-yield proposition. They know darned well that most Texans will turn them down for a much cheaper, just-as-good Texas school, so they save their time and resources for students who are more likely to attend.
  7. So considering #5 and #6 above, there still are valid reasons why a Texas student might choose to go elsewhere:
    1. You're that strong an applicant: Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, etc. Baylor and UTSW are both ranked as top-20 schools, so only a handful of US medical schools are generally considered 'better than' these two. But for Texans who are that qualified, it's a legitimate preference. If your numbers are that good (3.8+, 34+, published research, serious ECs) you might want to apply to some of the tippy-top med schools and see what happens. You never know.
    2. You're that weak an applicant: If even the lowest-ranked Texas schools have significantly higher averages than a given applicant, it might be wise to apply to some safety schools. In this case, I'd suggest going straight to DO. The US MD schools with the lowest numbers are 'on par' with the Texas schools with the lowest numbers, only with a whole lot more applicants. Again, those schools know they're your safety, and they know you will have been 'picked over' by the Texas schools and not accepted there -- so they're likely to assume you're not a strong candidate. Don't waste your time and money on US MD safeties.
    3. You don't care about money (Thanks Mom & Dad!) and have a strong reason for wanting to go to a certain school: Significant other, geography, religion. If this is the case, apply there, but make it really, really clear in your secondary why you want to go to that school. Clear enough that they won't ignore you because you're Texan.

So what to do?

First, realistically assess your chances. Look at the 'What are my chances?' chart for applicants with your stats. They're not exactly the same for Texans, but probably fairly close.
  1. Apply to ALL the TMDSAS schools.
  2. If you're a really strong applicant (>90% chance of acceptance) consider also applying to a few great OOS schools.
    1. If you're willing to pay the cost differential, aim high: Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, etc.
    2. Or aim slightly less high and hope for a scholarship. But don't hope too much. There are lots of highly-qualified applicants, and top schools know they can attract plenty of great students without giving away $40,000 per year in scholarship money, like they'd have to do to get you. Realize that if you go far enough down the rankings to pull in big scholarships, you're looking at schools that are not as good as the top Texas schools.
  3. If you're a weaker applicant (<50%) consider applying to good DO schools.
    1. This is your safety strategy and it's a good option.
    2. Acknowledge that you've got several good in-state lower-tier options that are much more likely than any other lower-tier US MD school, so consider those bases adequately covered by the TMDSAS.
  4. If you're a good-to-excellent applicant (chances 50% - 90%), consider yourself fully-covered by applying to all of the TMDSAS schools plus Baylor on the AMCAS. Really. Don't even bother applying to mid-tier OOS private schools on AMCAS. Seriously. It's hard to only apply to nine schools when your friends are applying to 20, but take a deep breath and save yourself the angst and the money. You're well covered at the reach, fit and safety levels by the nine in-state options.
    1. The private mid-tiers will assume that nine Texas schools will review your application, and that if you're a good applicant, at least one of them will accept you. And that if none of them do, it probably means there's a problem with your application this year, and they wouldn't want you either.
    2. And they'll assume that if your choice is between an inexpensive mid-tier and an expensive mid-tier, you'd choose the less-expensive option.
    3. If you're really anxious about not applying more broadly, just ask yourself "Under what scenario would I be accepted by XYZ mid-tier but not by any of the seven TX low-to-mid-tier schools subject to a 90% IS rule?" (Baylor & UTSW are top-tier) If you can think of a realistic scenario, then OK - apply. Otherwise, resist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Thanks, DokterMom.

Any tips for OOS applicants? Obviously the odds are not in our favor (statistically), but do you have any suggestions for non-residents who have close ties to the state?

Thanks, DokterMom.

Any tips for OOS applicants? Obviously the odds are not in our favor (statistically), but do you have any suggestions for non-residents who have close ties to the state?

I don't think there is much you can do besides stressing your ties and why you want to move back in your essays. And submit as early as possible.

Thanks, DokterMom.

'Close ties' is nice and all that, but I'm not sure how meaningful that will be. Quite simply, you're not one of the 90%, so... I'm thinking (but do not have any special expertise here) that most of the TX schools will use their super-low tuition to lure top-flight OOS candidates with great numbers along with all of the 'usual' ECs, research, dedication, etc. stuff. 'Close ties' is all well and good, but if your family's in California, I don't know how persuasive those 'ties' are likely to be.

DokterMom's Generic Advice for Texas Applicants:
Plan on applying to all of the TMDSAS schools. You may think you absolutely don't want to go to school in, for example, El Paso or Lubbock. But read the school-specific threads before making that decision. The students who interview there and choose to attend give those schools RAVE reviews and absolutely LOVE them. So resist the urge to be a geography snob. (If you are invited for an interview and decide you don't want to go there, you can always withdraw.)

All of DokterMom's advice is spot on and I'd like to comment on this part specifically. Texas has the benefit of having a large number of fantastic schools with their own unique feels. They may not all be in cities known for their desirability but that's not what med school is for.

You can go to TT El Paso and have a true P/F curriculum with one of the nicest group of students I ever met. You'll get a chance to learn medicine in a city unlike any other in the US where most people prefer Spanish over English. The large immigrant population also means you'll see stages of disease you might not somewhere else. It's also the newest medical school and the facilities were fantastic and clearly designed for the best education possible.

Or you can go to TT at Lubbock where the next closest lvl 1 trauma centers are in New Mexico and Dallas. The physicians in Lubbock serve a wide geographical area that's mostly rural and has it's own unique feel. They have the accelerated family medicine track where you will do graduate med school in 3yrs and have a guaranteed residency spot. You'll only have to pay for living expenses for 3 years and since MS2 is financed completely on scholarship you'll only have to pay the equivalent of 2 years of tuition.

UTMB in Galveston is known for their superbly high avg Step 1 score while having half days throughout MS1-2 and being pbl based. The school is also surrounded by the ocean and beach so you'll have plenty to do when you want to relax. UTMB students also have the opportunity to do rotations in Houston and Austin so you can get the benefit of the the smaller feel of Galveston with the big city rotations.

UTH is located in the world's biggest medical center. That's really all I need to say. Big city life in school means connections to make at MD Anderson or any of the other countless clinics within walking distance. Big city life outside of school means you can have all the nightlife, sports, restaurants etc that other young professionals enjoy.

Texas A&M has campuses all over the state. You can spend your entire time in College Station or Temple. You can also spend your last two years in Dallas and Round Rock. A&M has over 30 affiliations with clinics around the state which means, come 4th year, you can rotate at any one of them and not have to use away rotation time. Temple is a small city in the middle of the state that you'll miss if you sneeze on your way from DFW to Austin and yet it has the highest number of physicians per capita of any city in the US. The affiliated hospital, Baylor Scott & White, has residencies in radiation oncology, radiology, dermatology, urology, ENT and plastic surgery and fellowships in cards, GI, interventional rads and vascular surgery. You can live in small town with small town cost of living and still get exposure to some of the most competitive specialties.

UNTHSC TCOM is one of the best DO schools in the country and Fort Worth is nice little big town. There's a large number of hospitals around and the cost of living is fairly low. If you don't think there's enough to do around Ft Worth, Dallas is only 45min away.

UTSW is a top 25 school in the country and research powerhouse. Students here get the chance to meet renowned physicians in their field and train at a level 1 trauma center, Parkland.

I can't comment on UTHSC San Antonio but I've heard good things from them also.

What was the point of writing all this? Don't let some preconceived notion of where you *think* you want to go next year dictate your thoughts on each school. They all offer solid training for a fantastic price. I met people from all over the country at the interviews who were eager to come to Texas for school. This process is not so simple as School X is ranked higher than School Y so I'll rank it higher. Go in with an open mind and find the best place for YOU.

Reactions: 7 users
Hello!

I tried using the search function, but it seems most of the posts are about 999+ hours. I was just wondering how exact should our hours listed be? For instance my research will be ongoing until April 2015, but I've been working anywhere from 2-6 hours/week. I assume I'll have way upwards in the 200s, but I just have 220 listed for that particular category.

Also, is it okay to group my service activities into one category? For instance, much of my service opportunities were made available through my church, consisting of regular and irregular service such as highway cleanup, home-building, but most of which have no definitive hours/week or were a one-time-deal. Is it alright to say something like "In the interest of brevity, this includes all irregular service offered to me through my affiliation with ____," then explain the nature? Thank you.

I tried using the search function, but it seems most of the posts are about 999+ hours. I was just wondering how exact should our hours listed be? For instance my research will be ongoing until April 2015, but I've been working anywhere from 2-6 hours/week. I assume I'll have way upwards in the 200s, but I just have 220 listed for that particular category.
Just go with your best guess. No adcom member is going to call up your PI like, "Hello, Dr. Soandso, shpidorman said they did 220 hours of research in your lab. Uh huh. They only ended up doing 200?? Rejection!"

Also, is it okay to group my service activities into one category? For instance, much of my service opportunities were made available through my church, consisting of regular and irregular service such as highway cleanup, home-building, but most of which have no definitive hours/week or were a one-time-deal. Is it alright to say something like "In the interest of brevity, this includes all irregular service offered to me through my affiliation with ____," then explain the nature? Thank you.
If I remember right, there's not a whole lot of character space to describe things in TMDSAS, but I might be wrong. If there is like a 100 character limit, you should probably list each item individually to fully explain what it was. AMCAS had a lot more space (and a limited number of spots), so I consolidated for that one.

If you wanted to be more brief, however, you could list "Church sponsored service" and give a very brief summary of all items and do total hours.

Thank you. I appreciate your advice : )
Just go with your best guess. No adcom member is going to call up your PI like, "Hello, Dr. Soandso, shpidorman said they did 220 hours of research in your lab. Uh huh. They only ended up doing 200?? Rejection!"

If I remember right, there's not a whole lot of character space to describe things in TMDSAS, but I might be wrong. If there is like a 100 character limit, you should probably list each item individually to fully explain what it was. AMCAS had a lot more space (and a limited number of spots), so I consolidated for that one.

If you wanted to be more brief, however, you could list "Church sponsored service" and give a very brief summary of all items and do total hours.

I'm sorry, I have one more question.
What types of experiences are they looking for in Planned Activities? The other sections have asked to list expected end date and projected completed hours by that date, so is this part of the app restricted to things that I'm going to start or repeat in the future, but not necessarily the things I'm continuing? For instance, my research will span till April 2015, which I listed in the Research Activities with my estimated projected hours. Should I re-enter the information as a planned activity? All I have so far that is a separate planned activity is shadowing another doc this summer and repeating a volunteer experience.

What types of experiences are they looking for in Planned Activities? The other sections have asked to list expected end date and projected completed hours by that date, so is this part of the app restricted to things that I'm going to start or repeat in the future, but not necessarily the things I'm continuing? For instance, my research will span till April 2015, which I listed in the Research Activities with my estimated projected hours. Should I re-enter the information as a planned activity? All I have so far that is a separate planned activity is shadowing another doc this summer and repeating a volunteer experience.
It's my understanding that all activities that will start in the future, repeat in the future, and those that will continue into the future should be (re)entered in this area, even if you included the distant end date in another listing. The section should be able to stand alone with regards to all activities that will extend to a future time. So, yes, re-enter the Research.

One person calling TMDSAS reported they said, "For the planned activity you should enter the start date as today and it should be up to the date of med school matriculation."

I organized a toy drive for Texas Children's hospital along with club members. Can I classify this as a clinically related activity or just community service? I did get the chance to go inside and distribute the toys to the children so I was just wondering.

I organized a toy drive for Texas Children's hospital along with club members. Can I classify this as a clinically related activity or just community service? I did get the chance to go inside and distribute the toys to the children so I was just wondering.
Personally, I lean toward Community Service, but I's also emphasize the Leadership component which makes it even stronger.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I have one more question.
Yes. Re-enter everything in every category it falls into.
Community Service and Leadership.

Question: I've been confused about inputting employment. For the "when did you hold this job?" it provides a drop down menu for things like "sophomore" or summer between certain years. It says something like "enter this job for each time period you held it"...does this mean we are supposed to make separate entries for each period we held that job? If I held a job through all of college do I need to do a separate entry for all 4 years?

Question: I've been confused about inputting employment. For the "when did you hold this job?" it provides a drop down menu for things like "sophomore" or summer between certain years. It says something like "enter this job for each time period you held it"...does this mean we are supposed to make separate entries for each period we held that job? If I held a job through all of college do I need to do a separate entry for all 4 years?
From reading the application, it seems if you served it in Freshman year input it as freshman. Then do the same for sophomore and junior and senior. So yes, all four terms. Maybe it gives you more room to explain maybe a possible short experience for that term?

It means if you only worked a job in the summers, you'd do 4 summer entries. However, if you worked a job your entire undergrad career, with just schedule/hour changes during the semesters, you would only need one entry and you would put "Other".

Pre-Freshman should be the designation for AP courses taken in high school correct?

Would Computer Science be considered OthSci in the Course Work section?

I'm confused about the changes to the science gpa (new BCPM calculation). So previously computer sciences would be counted as part of science gpa, but now it is designated as other science. Is that still calculated into the BCPM gpa?

So previously computer sciences would be counted as part of science gpa, but now it is designated as other science. Is that still calculated into the BCPM gpa?
Computer Science classes are not included in the BCPM GPA.

Edit: @AngelOfAvarice I called TMDSAS and they confirmed that Computer Science will not be included in the BCPM.

Last edited:
Computer science classes are not included in the BCPM GPA.

I find it interesting that for Math, only Calculus and Statistics are included in the BCPM, and not other college math.

That's a good thing for me. So one other thing, there is a distinction for medical terminology courses. If it is a course offered by the biology department it is listed as other science, if it is a course listed by any other department it is listed as non science. If it is offered by the biology department and listed as other science would that contribute to the BCPM? I could see why it wouldn't, but what is the point of making the non science/other science distinction if it is not?

for medical terminology courses. If it is a course offered by the biology department it is listed as other science, if it is a course listed by any other department it is listed as non science.
1) If it is offered by the biology department and listed as other science would that contribute to the BCPM?
2) I could see why it wouldn't, but what is the point of making the non science/other science distinction if it is not?
1) I think it's unlikely. 2) Sorry. No idea.

Edit: Per my phone call to TMDSAS, Medical Terminology with a BIO designation won't be included in the BCPM.

Also, I was wrong about other college math, besides Calc and Stats, inclusion in the BCPM calculation. Per gonnif's phone call to TMDSAS, all college math grades ARE included in the BCPM GPA. Designating them as Other Science is to show that they don't fulfill a prerequisite.

Last edited:
Hi all-

Two quick questions:

1) Regarding courses on your transcript that include the lecture AND the lab portion, AMCAS specifies you should supplement the name on your application with "& lab." For example: General Chemistry- 4 credit hours on your transcript would be come General Chemistry and Lab 4 credit hours on your application. This would be in addition to selecting the course type as "lecture & lab." Does anyone know if this is true for the TMDSAS application as well?

2) If you are employed in a non medical/science field, would you list that as a planned activity?

Thank you all! Look forward to meeting some of you this season :hello:

Hi all-

Two quick questions:

1) Regarding courses on your transcript that include the lecture AND the lab portion, AMCAS specifies you should supplement the name on your application with "& lab." For example: General Chemistry- 4 credit hours on your transcript would be come General Chemistry and Lab 4 credit hours on your application. This would be in addition to selecting the course type as "lecture & lab." Does anyone know if this is true for the TMDSAS application as well?

2) If you are employed in a non medical/science field, would you list that as a planned activity?

Thank you all! Look forward to meeting some of you this season :hello:
1: Enter it just as it's listed on your transcript. "Enter the course name. If the course name is abbreviated on the transcript, you may enter the abbreviation or the full name." Also, I guess that "& Lab" is new this year for AMCAS; I don't remember doing it last year.

2: If you're going to still be doing that after you submit your app, yes!

A few questions:

1. I completed an allied health program -- does anyone know if those clinical rotations count as "other science"?

2. I left community college, went to a uni for 1 year, then returned to CC to complete that allied health degree, but my credits from the uni didn't transfer to the CC. Is this a potential issue? I didn't even notice this until now.

One problem with my credits from university not transferring to my CC is that now, on my CC transcript, my credit hours look under-reported -- and I don't know whether to classify myself as a "junior" or "senior" based on my real credit hours (time at uni + CC) or based on just my CC transcript alone. Any help is appreciated!

A few questions:

1. I completed an allied health program -- does anyone know if those clinical rotations count as "other science"?

2. I left community college, went to a uni for 1 year, then returned to CC to complete that allied health degree, but my credits from the uni didn't transfer to the CC. Is this a potential issue? I didn't even notice this until now.

One problem with my credits from university not transferring to my CC is that now, on my CC transcript, my credit hours look under-reported -- and I don't know whether to classify myself as a "junior" or "senior" based on my real credit hours (time at uni + CC) or based on just my CC transcript alone. Any help is appreciated!
1) They are probably Other Science, but note the underlined exceptions. Per the TMDSAS website:

Other Science

Agricultural Science
Astronomy
Chiropractic
Computer Science
Dental Hygiene
Electronics
Engineering
Epidemiology
Geology
Math (other than Calculus or Statistics)
Medical Technology ONLY if in the Biology department
Meteorology
Nursing*
Nutrition
Occupational Therapy
Pharmacy
Physical Anthropology
Physical Geography
Physical Science
Physical Therapy
Physician Assistant
Radiology
Research seminars in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math
Respiratory Therapy
*For Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Animal Husbandry, Forestry, and Public Health – determine whether a course is Other Science or Non-Science by title of the course.

2) You will be submitting original transcripts from every school attended, so TMDSAS will know your true earned academic credits. So base your college year classification on your real credit hours, not on what the CC thinks.

Last edited:
Even though you took the class and the test in HS, the credit was assigned by a college during your freshman year, so I'd suggest labeling it as Freshman year.

You can do it either way. Have AP in HS or part of freshman year. If you do it with AP in HA, it then shows what your "real" freshman year is like to adcom. That is certainly my preference when looking at a student's record. It can also take a minute when you see a freshman with 50 credits then a sophomore with 24 credit.

Just my two cents

I have a question, I looked and couldn't find a similar situation, unless I over looked it. I went to a community college "district", and there are several different campuses, but all apart of Dallas County Community College District. My friend who applied to Pharm school, had his transcript rejected, because it was sent from one campus, and he assumed it would be okay, since all the campuses are on one transcript because they are apart of the same district. PharmCAS requested a transcript from each campus. Does TMDSAS require the same? Thanks.

Does pre-cal count as a "calculus" course on the BCPM GPA? Thanks!!

I have a question, I looked and couldn't find a similar situation, unless I over looked it. I went to a community college "district", and there are several different campuses, but all apart of Dallas County Community College District. My friend who applied to Pharm school, had his transcript rejected, because it was sent from one campus, and he assumed it would be okay, since all the campuses are on one transcript because they are apart of the same district. PharmCAS requested a transcript from each campus. Does TMDSAS require the same? Thanks.
Why not call and ask. The phone number is at the bottom of post #2, if you don't have it. Let us know what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.