*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have kind of a dumb question/mistake, but I am pretty worried--

I recently submitted my application and realized that I never typed out the full name of my PI/professors under my research activities and tutoring activties. For example, I wrote "Undergraduate researcher at X-Lab" or "Biology Teaching Assistant" without providing the name of X or the professor of the biology course.

Should I be concerned about this? I can always provide the information if the adcoms ask for it, but does it reflect badly that I didn't have it originally in my application?

Ugh really face-palming myself

Members don't see this ad.

I have kind of a dumb question/mistake, but I am pretty worried--

I recently submitted my application and realized that I never typed out the full name of my PI/professors under my research activities and tutoring activties. For example, I wrote "Undergraduate researcher at X-Lab" or "Biology Teaching Assistant" without providing the name of X or the professor of the biology course.

Should I be concerned about this? I can always provide the information if the adcoms ask for it, but does it reflect badly that I didn't have it originally in my application?

Ugh really face-palming myself
I wouldn't worry about it. One, because it's already done, and two, because it's pretty minor. :)

1. On the financial section, I do not have copies of all of my expenses for tuition, books, etc. but am estimating it based on the average tuition expenses at the universities I've attended. Is this acceptable? Am I going to have to supply proof of my estimations?

2. Under "planned activities" should I list that I plan to find employment even if I have no definite job lined up at the moment?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. On the financial section, I do not have copies of all of my expenses for tuition, books, etc. but am estimating it based on the average tuition expenses at the universities I've attended. Is this acceptable? Am I going to have to supply proof of my estimations?

2. Under "planned activities" should I list that I plan to find employment even if I have no definite job lined up at the moment?
1. Giving it your best estimate is fine. I don't really know why they bother to ask all that sort of stuff; I think it might just have to do with analyzing applicant data and demographics.

2. Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
TMDSAS asks for all the schools you have applied to using AMCAS and I know interviewers are able to view this information. Is it better to only name a few or should I list all that I plan on applying to?

TMDSAS asks for all the schools you have applied to using AMCAS and I know interviewers are able to view this information. Is it better to only name a few or should I list all that I plan on applying to?

What prompted you to ask that? what is your concern?

But more importantly, rethink that list. Where else are you applying and why? Baylor? - sure. If you're OOS, then yeah, makes sense. If you're IS and applying to OOS MDs as 'safeties' you're wasting your time and money.

I have several courses I took in grad school that were either seminars, independent study, or research-based but in a physiology department. Would these really be BioLec? Or would OtherSci be more appropriate?

Concerning the CAP Program:
I was a CAP student, and my original major on my previous transcript prior to transferring was undeclared. I graduated with a BS in biochemistry. How does one classify an undeclared major on TMDSAS (and AMCAS as well)?

Also, for the optional essays, is the unique experience essay somewhat analogous to the AMCAS most meaningful experience essay?

Last edited:
But more importantly, rethink that list. Where else are you applying and why? Baylor? - sure. If you're OOS, then yeah, makes sense. If you're IS and applying to OOS MDs as 'safeties' you're wasting your time and money.

Why do you think it is a waste of time? Not being facetious, genuinely asking. Do most people not do "safety" schools, both in and out of state? Anyone else have thoughts on this as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have several courses I took in grad school that were either seminars, independent study, or research-based but in a physiology department. Would these really be BioLec? Or would OtherSci be more appropriate?

I tend to lean on "other sci" because they aren't listed on the TMDSAS courses under science. But maybe you should verify the course content against what they consider as science courses.

Why do you think it is a waste of time? Not being facetious, genuinely asking. Do most people not do "safety" schools, both in and out of state? Anyone else have thoughts on this as well?

See post #15 in this thread --

TLDR - A 'safety' for anyone else is a waste of a Texan's time.

Wanted @DokterMom 's opinion and others that might know...

So apparently Texan applicants don't get much OOS MD love, I think someone made a post about it either in this thread or another, but basically they see it as "If none of the many TX schools wants you, we don't either".

What if I'm a nontrad postbac doing GPA repair, however? Would that cut me any more slack with OOS MD schools as a TX applicant? And does any of this OOS anti-TX bias apply to DO schools as well?

So apparently Texan applicants don't get much OOS MD love, I think someone made a post about it either in this thread or another, but basically they see it as "If none of the many TX schools wants you, we don't either".

What if I'm a nontrad postbac doing GPA repair, however? Would that cut me any more slack with OOS MD schools as a TX applicant? And does any of this OOS anti-TX bias apply to DO schools as well?

That's a good question, and honestly, I don't know. We hear there are schools that reward reinvention and that many DOs fall into that camp. But the underlying logic:
  • Texans would rather go to cheap Texas schools vs. expensive OOS schools, so they are low-yield prospects for us, and
  • Texas applicants will have been 'picked over' by the many Texas schools, so the 'leftovers' aren't 'first choice'
...the underlying logic (unfortunately) still stands.

That said, I do not know if there are any schools in Texas that reward reinvention, and that's a question that should be asked and that I hope someone can answer. (I'd suggest giving it its own thread.)

Would DO grade-replacement get you where you need to be? North TX has a great DO program...

Don't take this as gospel, but aren't most DO schools private? If so, they probably don't have any (or less stringent) in-state requirements.

DO grade replacement will help me a lot- I already replaced my D's from freshman year (2008) with A's. hope to apply DO with a ~3.7/3.8 GPA. That said, UNT/ TCOM does not do grade replacement like most DO schools.

I just want to make sure a DO school like Touro, DMU, or Nova won't hold my TX residency against me.

With a 3.7 (grade replaced) gpa and decent mcat score, TX residency won't affect you at all and you will probably have many many options. The only way schools might be hesitant to interview you would be if they felt an instate acceptance were likely.

It's not that schools don't want you because no Texas school wanted you. It's the opposite actually. Schools feel like they are wasting their time and money interviewing you because they figure a Texas school WILL want you, and because of the cheap tuition, you will go there instead.

Well, the reason doesn't matter to me, the mere fact that they might not interview me because I'm a TX resident is enough to worry me since DO might be my only option (will have a 3.4 GPA at best for MD)...

So I'm hoping DO schools can figure out that my 5 D's from freshman yr ruined my cumulative GPA enough that many MD schools, even TX ones, won't take me.

So I'm hoping DO schools can figure out that my 5 D's from freshman yr ruined my cumulative GPA enough that many MD schools, even TX ones, won't take me.[/QUOTE]

The fact that you are even applying DO (and with a high enough gpa to almost certainly draw attention to your app) is likely to make the schools look more carefully at your transcripts and see this.

Should we put in information regarding religious activities in the work and activities section? For example, I go to my house of worship almost every evening and in the mornings as often as I can. Does this count as an extracurricular/leisure activity?

Should we put in information regarding religious activities in the work and activities section? For example, I go to my house of worship almost every evening and in the mornings as often as I can. Does this count as an extracurricular/leisure activity?
Sure, if you want to. It would help show that you are dedicated and interested in something outside of school. I put all the hours I was involved in a Christian student org (which was a lot, lol).

Dang! I submitted my TMDSAS yesterday and after going over it a million times for mistakes, I finally just saw that I accidentally listed one activity as starting a year earlier than it did, although it is correct in all other sections. I know I can't change it now, but is it worth giving them a call or something?

The instructions state that the following:

"Additional letters are not encouraged. However, TMDSAS will forward one extra letter in addition to the required letters."

I'm torn between two strong LORs from two of my professors. Would it be advisable to submit both (for a total of three letters) or should I stick with two?

Thanks!

Dang! I submitted my TMDSAS yesterday and after going over it a million times for mistakes, I finally just saw that I accidentally listed one activity as starting a year earlier than it did, although it is correct in all other sections. I know I can't change it now, but is it worth giving them a call or something?
If it's correct in other places, don't worry about it; they'll be able to figure out that that one was a typo.

The instructions state that the following:

"Additional letters are not encouraged. However, TMDSAS will forward one extra letter in addition to the required letters."

I'm torn between two strong LORs from two of my professors. Would it be advisable to submit both (for a total of three letters) or should I stick with two?

Thanks!
Are you not able to get a committee packet? You'd be able to include extra letters if you are.

Are you not able to get a committee packet? You'd be able to include extra letters if you are.

Thanks for the response.

Can't get a committee packet, but I do have seven LORs sitting in Interfolio. TMDSAS seems a little bit different from AMCAS in that you can't select which letters go to which schools, so I'm not sure if it would behoove me to select my three strongest or stick with the instructions and only submit two.

For a class I audited, what do i put as the grade and credit hours?
i would put "no credit", but it is listed as "No Credit (Fail)" And i didnt fail, obviously.
For the Course type i already put "Audit"

Thank you!

If it's correct in other places, don't worry about it; they'll be able to figure out that that one was a typo.

Thanks! I called TMDSAS. FYI, if anyone runs into a similar situation, they said to just bring an addendum to your interview and indicate that it was a simple entry mistake.

on TMDSAS when it asks when you held the job, do you have to reenter the same job for each period?

So summer between sophomore-junior, junior, summer between junior and senior, and senior would be 4 different entries all for the same job?

I don't know why that formatted all weird... anyway:

Thanks! I called TMDSAS. FYI, if anyone runs into a similar situation, they said to just bring an addendum to your interview and indicate that it was a simple entry mistake.

on TMDSAS when it asks when you held the job, do you have to reenter the same job for each period?

So summer between sophomore-junior, junior, summer between junior and senior, and senior would be 4 different entries all for the same job?

That's what I did. Very odd to me.

That's what I did. Very odd to me.
I thought I addressed this to someone on the previous page, maybe not...

If you held the job continuously, you only need one entry and you should be able to select "other" rather than a school year.

So in terms of rolling applications...

Does your file get slotted in terms of the date your primaries got submitted, or rather by when EVERYTHING is fully assembled i.e. letters, transcripts, secondaries, etc.?

P.S. Is everyone finished with their secondaries? Hammering out a few kinks here and there on my end- hope to submit soon!

Does your file get slotted in terms of the date your primaries got submitted, or rather by when EVERYTHING is fully assembled i.e. letters, transcripts, secondaries, etc.?

P.S. Is everyone finished with their secondaries? Hammering out a few kinks here and there on my end- hope to submit soon!
I think it depends on the school. My app was transmitted, then my letters were uploaded about a week after that, and a few schools sent acknowledgment of receiving the app then. The rest of the schools didn't send anything until my MCAT score was in (before which I did secondaries).

But overall, the sooner you can get everything in, the better. If it can't be all done at once, get everything you can submit in as soon as possible.

I think it depends on the school. My app was transmitted, then my letters were uploaded about a week after that, and a few schools sent acknowledgment of receiving the app then. The rest of the schools didn't send anything until my MCAT score was in (before which I did secondaries).

But overall, the sooner you can get everything in, the better. If it can't be all done at once, get everything you can submit in as soon as possible.

Thanks Chillbo! Do you remember around when you submitted aka fully complete? You're our primary "go-to" for lessons learned, btw (Incase you weren't aware of this already.. :cool:

It seemed like when everything was submitted for most schools. Still, if you can get everything submitted possible and then update when things come in you'll be in the best spot.

This was my timeline for anyone wondering.

Submitted 7/23
Transmitted to schools: 8/9
Confirmation of application received from individual schools: 8/12-8/19 (not all schools send one)
TCOM ii: 8/23
UTMB ii: 8/27
TT El Paso ii: 8/27
Texas A&M ii: 8/30
UTH ii: 10/8
TT Lubbock ii: 10/28

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Chillbo! Do you remember around when you submitted aka fully complete? You're our primary "go-to" for lessons learned, btw (Incase you weren't aware of this already.. :cool:
TMDSAS submitted 6/1
Verified/transmitted 6/6
Letter packet uploaded by advisor around 6/13
Secondaries throughout June
MCAT score received and transmitted 7/2
First interview invite 7/10

:astronaut:

After I submit my TMDSAS application, will I still be able to go over the application and see the information I filled out? It would be much less painful to fill out my AMCAS application by referring back to TMDSAS.

how do you print the pdf version? I couldn't seem to find the button like AMCAS has

As soon as you log in, look about halfway down the page and you should see the following:

"To view your application in PDF form, click the entry year link below."

Click the "2015" and you'll be able to print it out.

Hope that helps!

-Bill

As soon as you log in, look about halfway down the page and you should see the following:

"To view your application in PDF form, click the entry year link below."

Click the "2015" and you'll be able to print it out.

Hope that helps!

-Bill
thank you so much! my pop-up blocker was blocking it haha

I have a question. I thought the consensus was that secondary essays are submitted after you submit the primary app. The TMDSAS site states

Completion of the secondary application is required by the following medical schools before the TMDSAS application is considered.

I just submitted my primary application a few minutes ago. Does this mean that I need to submit my secondaries application ASAP as well? (my essays are ready)

Status
Not open for further replies.