*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and yes.

Yes to the running ones. The other is a little tougher. It is an achievement, but also sounds a lot like community service. However, you could list it in both sections.

Thank you for your reply!

One other question: I graduated nearly 4 years ago, so I cannot get a committee letter or letters from science professors as some schools require. I do, however, have a letter from a professor who is part of the school of biological sciences for whom I did a public internship that counted as a BIO credit but isn't considered a science credit per TMDSAS's criteria. I will be submitting a letter from that professor and one from a work supervisor.

Will it be clear to schools that I'm a non-traditional applicant, so they'll waive the science professor and/or committee letter "requirement?"

Thank you for your reply!

One other question: I graduated nearly 4 years ago, so I cannot get a committee letter or letters from science professors as some schools require. I do, however, have a letter from a professor who is part of the school of biological sciences for whom I did a public internship that counted as a BIO credit but isn't considered a science credit per TMDSAS's criteria. I will be submitting a letter from that professor and one from a work supervisor.

Will it be clear to schools that I'm a non-traditional applicant, so they'll waive the science professor and/or committee letter "requirement?"
I can't say for certain, but it looks like that's perfectly fine. The TMDSAS website says you can submit two individual letters (and they would forward a third, though "not recommended"), and it's recommended that they're current or former professors. So it's definitely not required that you have a committee letter, or that they're only from faculty. As you said, it should be clear that you are non-trad and that a work letter would be much more representative at this point than a teacher from several years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a 2014-2015 TMDSAS Verification thread? I can't find it

Just to confirm, the only TMDSAS schools with secondaries are the three Texas Tech schools (A & M, Lubbock, and El Paso) and UTSW, correct? Just want to make sure I didn't overlook any as I finish up pre-writing.

Thanks!

-Bill

Just to confirm, the only TMDSAS schools with secondaries are the three Texas Tech schools (A & M, Lubbock, and El Paso) and UTSW, correct? Just want to make sure I didn't overlook any as I finish up pre-writing.

Thanks!

-Bill

Yes only those four (if not applying to TCOM). FYI, people from A&M would be very offended being classified as a Texas Tech school;)

The TMDSAS web-site says it takes 2-4 weeks for the application to be verified. Does anyone know if it ever takes longer than 4 weeks?

Noob question: Does TMDSAS not accept electronic transcript delivery?

Noob question: Does TMDSAS not accept electronic transcript delivery?
As far as I know, no. You can always call and find out; it also depends on how your school can send transcipts.

A caveat, though: TMDSAS (and AMCAS) have transcript request forms that you print out and fill in your info; this helps match up your transcript with your application. If you send it electronically, you have a (probably minimal, but still...) risk of getting your transcript lost or something.

I applied for the 2013-2014 cycle through AMCAS and I'm moving to Texas and getting residency and retaking my mcat. I was just browsing through the TMDSAS application and stumbled upon the:

Have you previously applied to any Non-TMDSAS medical, dental, or veterinary schools?

Which also asks me to list all the medical schools I applied to. As a California applicant, I actually applied to over 60 schools and still didn't get in and I wanted to know if it would look bad if I listed them all? Does TMDSAS have any way of verifying this information? Thanks for your input.

So , I just submitted TMDSAS on Monday, the 23rd, and noticed I made a mistake.

For one of my activities, I accidentally wrote that it went from March 2011 to March 2012, instead of writing the correct duration of March 2012 to March 2013. It is a minor activity, but a GLARING mistake because I was in high school in March 2011, and obviously could not have done the activity. Should I call TMDSAS? Will this screw me over because it is such an outright mistake (In my description, I referenced 2011 and 2012 again like a fool). I was feeling good about my app, but now I am really worried.

Thanks for the help, sorry if this seems way too neurotic :)

I have a question about entering in MCAT test dates onto the TMDSAS application.

Can you enter in a planned MCAT test date into the TMDSAS application after you have submitted the application? I took an MCAT on June 21st, 2014, so I won't get my scores back until July 21st at the earliest, and I might retake the test in August. Can I add a planned test date after I have already submitted my TMDSAS app?

I don't want to indicate that I am potentially retaking the MCAT in August if indeed my score is to my liking, yet I want schools to know that I am planning to retake the test in August if my score is sub-par.

Does anyone know about the capabilities to add/remove planned MCAT test dates on the TMDSAS application after it has been submitted? Thank you.

I can't say for certain, but it looks like that's perfectly fine. The TMDSAS website says you can submit two individual letters (and they would forward a third, though "not recommended"), and it's recommended that they're current or former professors. So it's definitely not required that you have a committee letter, or that they're only from faculty. As you said, it should be clear that you are non-trad and that a work letter would be much more representative at this point than a teacher from several years ago.

Thanks again. One last question... as a re-applicant, should I rewrite my personal statement? I have only made minor tweaks to it, but I feel it is great as is, and I don't feel that it kept me from getting interviews the last cycle (my MCAT and GPA probably played a larger role). I do elaborate on an experience that I included in my personal statement in the "unique experiences" optional essay, relating it to recent developments in the past year at my job (I work in a clinic). In summary, I'm banking on a new MCAT score, updates in the activities section, and rewritten optional essays to improve my application this go around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again. One last question... as a re-applicant, should I rewrite my personal statement? I have only made minor tweaks to it, but I feel it is great as is, and I don't feel that it kept me from getting interviews the last cycle (my MCAT and GPA probably played a larger role). I do elaborate on an experience that I included in my personal statement in the "unique experiences" optional essay, relating it to recent developments in the past year at my job (I work in a clinic). In summary, I'm banking on a new MCAT score, updates in the activities section, and rewritten optional essays to improve my application this go around.
I'm afraid I don't have any experience with reapplication, so I can't say with any degree of certainty. My best guess is that that's fine, as long as you've refined it and improved all the other parts of your app.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject can answer you, or you can search for some older threads about it.

TMDSAS said I can submit my application before all my transcripts arrived, and will transmit the application to medical school.

Is there any use in doing that? If TMDSAS didn't verify entered grades against those on the transcripts, will the med schools accept the TMDSAS application?

Thanks.

TMDSAS said I can submit my application before all my transcripts arrived, and will transmit the application to medical school.

Is there any use in doing that? If TMDSAS didn't verify entered grades against those on the transcripts, will the med schools accept the TMDSAS application?

Thanks.
You might as well, then there's minimal delay once your transcripts get to TMDSAS.

I see. Just my planned activities are still in flux. Not sure if I should include things not 100% confirmed.

So I received notification from TMDSAS 3 days ago that my application was officially transmitted to schools (submitted my primaries way back on June 6), but so far I have only received a single secondary from Texas Tech Lubbock. My application is pretty strong, so I don't think they screened me (if they even do that). How long does it usually take for them to send out secondary applications after they receive the primary?

I see. Just my planned activities are still in flux. Not sure if I should include things not 100% confirmed.
"Planned" does not mean "Guaranteed to Happen Activities." Go ahead.

So I received notification from TMDSAS 3 days ago that my application was officially transmitted to schools (submitted my primaries way back on June 6), but so far I have only received a single secondary from Texas Tech Lubbock. My application is pretty strong, so I don't think they screened me (if they even do that). How long does it usually take for them to send out secondary applications after they receive the primary?
Dawg, you need to go fill out the secondaries yourself!! They don't pre-screen you! Get these done as soon as you can.

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/application-instructions.html#sec_application

Wow thank you, I had no idea that these were already available. In your opinion, do you think I am already really late in the cycle? Plan to have these finished early next week, around July 2-4th. I wish I knew sooner, could have had them in at the end of June :(

Wow thank you, I had no idea that these were already available. In your opinion, do you think I am already really late in the cycle? Plan to have these finished early next week, around July 2-4th. I wish I knew sooner, could have had them in at the end of June :(
No, you're still in better shape than most applicants. A lot don't know better and submit their primary in October!! :eek:

I'm a reapplicant, and I made a huge mistake past cycle by sending a primary app to a couple schools, then later thinking I wasn't competitive enough and not submitting the secondary. Could submitting the primary without a secondary during the past cycle hurt my chances when reapplying to these schools?

I know there is a requirement to get at least two professors for your LOR and I have a PI who also taught a lab class (in which I received a credit and grade for). Should I list his LOR under current or former professor to meet this requirement?

Is there an appeal process for course classification on TMDSAS? Many of my courses - Exercise and Cardiovascular Pathology, Cellular Metabolism, etc. - were re-classified from BioLec to OthSci. Technically, they don't have a BIO call number, but the course description makes it pretty clear that they are essentially biology courses.

Normally I wouldn't complain, but it dropped by BCPM from ~3.9 to ~3.5.

Any advice or am I stuck with what I got?

Thank you!

Also have similar classes like that, that were not counted that I believe should have been so I'd appreciate any insight as well.

Is there an appeal process for course classification on TMDSAS? Many of my courses - Exercise and Cardiovascular Pathology, Cellular Metabolism, etc. - were re-classified from BioLec to OthSci. Technically, they don't have a BIO call number, but the course description makes it pretty clear that they are essentially biology courses.

Thank you!

Hmmm...I'm even more confused now. BCPM = Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math, correct?

I went through all of my coursework and discovered that I have 60 hours of A's, 4 hours of B's, and 0 hours of C's, D's, or F's in the classes that TMDSAS designated as BCPM. That should equate to much higher than a 3.5, right? Or does OthSci factor in to BCPM?

I don't want to bug the office since I'm sure they are swamped, but does anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

Thanks!

Does anyone have previous experience with secondary applications from Texas Schools, or was accepted in the past? I'm trying to find people to look over some of mine before I submit.

Thank you!
There is a special appeal process available. I was told that all the deans would have to confer and sign off on the change, which might take about two months. Why don't you call TMDSAS and ask about this yourself. Maybe someone else has already initiated an appeal for those classes, and you'd save some time.

Does anyone have previous experience with secondary applications from Texas Schools, or was accepted in the past? I'm trying to find people to look over some of mine before I submit.
I did all of them, and managed to get in, lol. I'd be willing to take a look at them, but I don't consider myself the greatest grader/reviewer.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but when Texas schools report their average matriculant gpa (Baylor-3.8, UTSA- 3.61, etc.) are these TMDSAS gpas or AMCAS gpas?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but when Texas schools report their average matriculant gpa (Baylor-3.8, UTSA- 3.61, etc.) are these TMDSAS gpas or AMCAS gpas?

How do you know what your AMCAS gpa is? I don't see a section about this...

Your AMCAS gpa is just your gpa straight up. TMDSAS gap is different because they don't factor in A- or B+. An A is an A and a B is a B

I have a question about entering in MCAT test dates onto the TMDSAS application.

Can you enter in a planned MCAT test date into the TMDSAS application after you have submitted the application? I took an MCAT on June 21st, 2014, so I won't get my scores back until July 21st at the earliest, and I might retake the test in August. Can I add a planned test date after I have already submitted my TMDSAS app?

I don't want to indicate that I am potentially retaking the MCAT in August if indeed my score is to my liking, yet I want schools to know that I am planning to retake the test in August if my score is sub-par.

Does anyone know about the capabilities to add/remove planned MCAT test dates on the TMDSAS application after it has been submitted? Thank you.

Yes you can.

AMCAS has a recommendation form is supposed to be attached the LoRs. Is there something similar for TMDSAS? I can't seem to find it.

I need help on this question - what exactly do they mean - b/c I don't have any international experience...
Please describe any personal characteristics and/or important or challenging experiences you have had that will contribute to the diversity (broadly defined) of or provide educational benefits to the student

AMCAS has a recommendation form is supposed to be attached the LoRs. Is there something similar for TMDSAS? I can't seem to find it.
Not that I'm aware of, but I also didn't do individual letters.

I need help on this question - what exactly do they mean - b/c I don't have any international experience...
Please describe any personal characteristics and/or important or challenging experiences you have had that will contribute to the diversity (broadly defined) of or provide educational benefits to the student
It means if there's anything about you that brings a unique diversity to the school or any disadvantage you had on your path to applying/while you grew up.

I believe that's one of the optional essays, correct? If you can't think of anything to put there, don't feel pressured to.

I just had a quick question about how TMDSAS confirms your residency status. I know they have a "quiz" on the application where they tell you your status at the end. However, if it's just a bunch of questions, couldn't anyone just put yes to everything and become a TX resident? I heard that TMDSAS also doesn't normally ask for any documentation unless there is a "problem." How then do they check to make sure you really are a TX resident? Do they ask for any utility bills, parents' place of work, car registration, etc?

In the "Socioeconomic" section, I listed that I am bilingual (fluent in Spanish). However, I am second-guessing my choice because labeling myself as fluent opens up the possibility that I will be interviewed 100% in Spanish. At this point in time, I don't feel confident in my abilities to answer interview questions in Spanish. However, I feel that if I practice answering interview-like questions in Spanish, I'll feel better prepared for my interviews when that time comes. I'd feel more comfortable if I had the option to list myself as "conversationally fluent" in Spanish, as opposed to "fluent". I believe AMCAS lets you choose a level of proficiency (e.g., "basic" Spanish, etc.).

I feel that I have a more than a basic grasp of Spanish because I use it with patients at my job on a daily basis. However, my Spanish is not grammatically correct. Should I not list myself as "fluent" in this section but highlight my Spanish proficiency in other sections?

In the "Socioeconomic" section, I listed that I am bilingual (fluent in Spanish). However, I am second-guessing my choice because labeling myself as fluent opens up the possibility that I will be interviewed 100% in Spanish. At this point in time, I don't feel confident in my abilities to answer interview questions in Spanish. However, I feel that if I practice answering interview-like questions in Spanish, I'll feel better prepared for my interviews when that time comes. I'd feel more comfortable if I had the option to list myself as "conversationally fluent" in Spanish, as opposed to "fluent". I believe AMCAS lets you choose a level of proficiency (e.g., "basic" Spanish, etc.).

I feel that I have a more than a basic grasp of Spanish because I use it with patients at my job on a daily basis. However, my Spanish is not grammatically correct. Should I not list myself as "fluent" in this section but highlight my Spanish proficiency in other sections?
AMCAS has multiple distinctions in foreign language capability. You might consider making more clear precisely what proficiency you have in using your Spanish within your job description. It would be devastating to your application to be perceived as having puffed up the truth.

Here are AMCAS' examples:

1) Native/Functionally
2) Native
I converse easily and accurately in all types of situations. Native
speakers may think that I am a native speaker too.
3) Advanced I speak very accurately, and I understand other speakers very
accurately. Native speakers have no problem understanding me,
but they probably perceive that I am not a native speaker.
4) Good I speak well enough to participate in most conversations. Native
speakers notice some errors in my speech or my understanding,
but my errors rarely cause misunderstanding.
5) Fair I speak and understand well enough to have extended
conversations about current events, work, family, or personal
life. Native speakers notice many errors in my speech or my
understanding.
6) Basic I speak the language imperfectly and only to a limited degree
and in limited situations. I have difficulty in or understanding
extended conversations.

AMCAS has multiple distinctions in foreign language capability. You might consider making more clear precisely what proficiency you have in using your Spanish within your job description. It would be devastating to your application to be perceived as having puffed up the truth.

Here are AMCAS' examples:

1) Native/Functionally
2) Native
I converse easily and accurately in all types of situations. Native
speakers may think that I am a native speaker too.
3) Advanced I speak very accurately, and I understand other speakers very
accurately. Native speakers have no problem understanding me,
but they probably perceive that I am not a native speaker.
4) Good I speak well enough to participate in most conversations. Native
speakers notice some errors in my speech or my understanding,
but my errors rarely cause misunderstanding.
5) Fair I speak and understand well enough to have extended
conversations about current events, work, family, or personal
life. Native speakers notice many errors in my speech or my
understanding.
6) Basic I speak the language imperfectly and only to a limited degree
and in limited situations. I have difficulty in or understanding
extended conversations.

Thanks. Truth be told, I already submitted my primary application. I mentioned in my job description that I provide "bilingual counseling" at the organization where I work that serves predominately Latino clients. Of the AMCAS examples, I'd rate myself a strong "Fair" in my overall language abilities. In the clinical setting, however, I'd rate myself as "Good". I feel that my level of fluency in the context in which I speak Spanish varies.

I only wish that the TMDSAS application provided a proficiency ranking system similar to AMCAS so that I don't have to second guess my choice in listing myself as fluent in Spanish. Interviewers will probably notice "some errors in my speech or my understanding", as mentioned in the "Good" distinction.

Does anyone know about how long it takes for TMDSAS to show it has received your MCAT scores?

Does anyone know about how long it takes for TMDSAS to show it has received your MCAT scores?

I would like to know this, too. I do know that you have to request to send out your scores to TMDSAS on the MCAT THx website (https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/admissions_Tests.html). The scores are not automatically forwarded to TMDSAS.

How long does it typically take TMDSAS to receive scores after you request them on MCAT THx? Thank you.

I made a big mistake! I accidentally selected Spanish as being one of the languages I am fluent in without realizing that I can't rank my proficiency as you can on AMCAS. What should I do?!!!!

I made a big mistake! I accidentally selected Spanish as being one of the languages I am fluent in without realizing that I can't rank my proficiency as you can on AMCAS. What should I do?!!!!
See post #289 above. If a Secondary gives you the opportunity, make your proficiency level more clear, or do the same with update letters, if they are allowed at a given school.

I just received MCAT scores and sent my scores via MCAT THx to TMDSAS. Under the "Status" of my application and in MCAT Scores it lists the date received.

Do I need to do anything else? Do I need to send my scores to any of the Texas medical schools individually? Or do they have all of them now and I'm good? Sorry, just super paranoid, and I want to make sure they have my scores. I can't see my MCAT score breakdown under my MCAT section on the TMDSAS application like I can on the AMCAS application. Thanks.

Last edited:
So I did my undergraduate degree in Canada but a Post-Bacc and SMP in the States. Due to Texas law or something my Canadian grades aren't included in my TMDSAS GPA. Meaning that my GPA is a 3.9 compared to a 3.0 AMCAS GPA. Any idea how schools will view my app? I have a 38 MCAT and decent EC's, but had really low grades in my Canadian school the first few years. Will I really be treated as a 3.9/38 in Texas? Seems a bit too good to be true...

I took the June 21st MCAT and sent my scores via MCAT THx to TMDSAS. Under the "Status" of my application and in MCAT Scores it lists the date received: 07/24/2014.

Do I need to do anything else? Do I need to send my scores to any of the Texas medical schools individually? Or do they have all of them now and I'm good? Sorry, just super paranoid, and I want to make sure they have my scores. I can't see my MCAT score breakdown under my MCAT section on the TMDSAS application like I can on the AMCAS application. Thanks.
You are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.