*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this in a sentence in my PS. Although I'm OOS, I was a TX resident some years ago and wrote that in the comment box of the residency section.
The residency section is such a perfect place to mention this!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am debating putting something about that in the optional essay section. Does anyone have an opinion on this? @Cawolf did you put anything in your application to explain why texas?

I used the optional essay to discuss my poor GPA and provide them with context for my numbers. I think that the residency section (as said above) is a good spot for it, but I lack strong ties.

Hey, guys. I was wondering what kind of stuff would you put for extracurricular/leisure activities? So far I have put down extreme sports (i.e. canyoning, skydiving, etc) and P.R.I.D.E. Would you think that this would be a good place to describe your study abroad program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Redoing my post from earlier. How do schools look at people who had jobs and went to class

Will it be looked down on if I don't apply to TCOM? Will not applying to TCOM negatively affect my application since schools might think I'm being picky?

How important is it to accurately state my high school rank? My high school is being really picky by saying it will take them two weeks to mail out the transcript. But I want to submit today or tomorrow.

Please help!

How important is it to accurately state my high school rank? My high school is being really picky by saying it will take them two weeks to mail out the transcript. But I want to submit today or tomorrow.

Please help!
Ask if they'll tell you your rank over the phone.

Hey guys,
For the planned activities, if you're cntinuing would you put the start date as when you actually started or the date of now?

i am CPR-certified and was wondering if this would count as a healthcare-related experience. i have had some friends put and others not. if i should put it, i am considering doing start date as the day i eceived, end date the day it expires, 0hrs/week and 3hrs total. opinions on this?

This might be a dumb question, but for the employment/activities section, do we need to list contact info in the description? (i.e. For shadowing, can I just list the names/hours with each physician, or do I need to list a phone #?)

This might be a dumb question, but for the employment/activities section, do we need to list contact info in the description? (i.e. For shadowing, can I just list the names/hours with each physician, or do I need to list a phone #?)

I would/did not.

Is there any way to submit more than 3 LOR's to schools? I'm working on secondaries and have not seen any schools ask for additional letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way to submit more than 3 LOR's to schools? I'm working on secondaries and have not seen any schools ask for additional letters.
No, I personally called every school asking if they'd take an extra forth letter. They all said no. :( Lol

TCOM however does let you send in an extra physician (preferably DO) letter with the secondary app.

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the tcom secondaries? I created an ID and everything, but it still says I am not granted permission to enter that section. I already submitted my tmsdas. Was I supposed to wait for them to email me?

Yeah they email you with a username

Got an email from UTMB that my application has been received.

Yeah they email you with a username
ohh so this is only after they get my app? is there any way i can see the prompts before hand? because i remember seeing on here tcom was a school i didnt need to wait for anything

Go to the DO school specific forum and the prompts are there

ohh so this is only after they get my app? is there any way i can see the prompts before hand? because i remember seeing on here tcom was a school i didnt need to wait for anything

You don't need to wait for an email to start or submit your secondary, but you need the instructions and username in the email to create your UNTHSC Portal.

You don't need to wait for an email to start or submit your secondary, but you need the instructions and username in the email to create your UNTHSC Portal.
ok, thanks for the clarification!

No, I personally called every school asking if they'd take an extra forth letter. They all said no. :( Lol

TCOM however does let you send in an extra physician (preferably DO) letter with the secondary app.
Thanks! I wanted to add a 4th one as well but I guess I'm out of luck!

Is anyone else having trouble getting to the tcom secondaries? I created an ID and everything, but it still says I am not granted permission to enter that section. I already submitted my tmsdas. Was I supposed to wait for them to email me?
I did not have any issues accessing it yesterday and did not receive an email specifically from them

I did not have any issues accessing it yesterday and did not receive an email specifically from them
Did you have to import any information to the portal? Mt tmsdas hasnt been submitted to any schools yet. maybe that's why?

Posting again, please help.
For the planned activities, if you're cntinuing would you put the start date as when you actually started or the date of now?

Would you count an HIV/AIDs public health internship as health care or community service?

You can put activities under multiple sections and for continuing I put the date as when The activity starts again

Did you have to import any information to the portal? Mt tmsdas hasnt been submitted to any schools yet. maybe that's why?
No, I did not. I just registered as a new user and it worked. My application is still processing as well, so maybe there was just an overload on the system today? I haven't logged in today so maybe it was just a temporary glitch?

No, I did not. I just registered as a new user and it worked. My application is still processing as well, so maybe there was just an overload on the system today? I haven't logged in today so maybe it was just a temporary glitch?
Great, thanks for your reply! I emailed them but they never responded :/ Sorry, one last question. The secondary is after you login in the portal near the bottom of the page correct?

I went ahead and called and you were correct. We have to put in the job each time we held it (freshman, sophomore, and etc.). Also each start and end date should be in line with that time, as well as hours worked per week.
I've read this entire thread (very helpful!), and I just want to confirm that I'm understanding this part correctly...

So if you held a job for more than one academic year or summer, you not only change the academic time frame (eg. Freshman Year) but ALSO the date range for each time that same job is entered?

For example, if the total date range for one job is Aug 2013 - Dec 2014, each entry for that same job should have a separate date range, like:
(Freshman) Aug 2013 - May 2014
(Summer between Fr and So) May 2014 - Aug 2014
(Sophomore) Aug 2014-Dec 2014

Thank you!

I've read this entire thread (very helpful!), and I just want to confirm that I'm understanding this part correctly...

So if you held a job for more than one academic year or summer, you not only change the academic time frame (eg. Freshman Year) but ALSO the date range for each time that same job is entered?

For example, if the total date range for one job is Aug 2013 - Dec 2014, each entry for that same job should have a separate date range, like:
(Freshman) Aug 2013 - May 2014
(Summer between Fr and So) May 2014 - Aug 2014
(Sophomore) Aug 2014-Dec 2014

Thank you!

Yes that's correct. And make sure you update the number of hours each week/each time period, if those varied.
Great username by the way.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have no idea why this was so hard to find :(

No problem, I just followed the links.

Once you fill that out you though, yo will not log in with that information again. All of the status changes will be checked at your portal with the assigned EUID.

Yes that's correct. And make sure you update the number of hours each week/each time period, if those varied.
Great username by the way.

So this is how we do employment, I was wondering about that question. Do you know if the same format would apply to extracurricular/other activities done multiple times, but noncontinuously?

In my case, I was in marching band for 4 fall semesters. There is slight variation in total hours each fall (freshmen/upperclassman/leader/etc) but I currently have that extracurric listed from Aug2011-Jan2015, because that's how I consider it in my mind. Should I change it so that I have 4 different listings for marching band?

So this is how we do employment, I was wondering about that question. Do you know if the same format would apply to extracurricular/other activities done multiple times, but noncontinuously?

In my case, I was in marching band for 4 fall semesters. There is slight variation in total hours each fall (freshmen/upperclassman/leader/etc) but I currently have that extracurric listed from Aug2011-Jan2015, because that's how I consider it in my mind. Should I change it so that I have 4 different listings for marching band?
I think they want to see employment separated specifically to see how many hrs you were working (presumably to support yourself) each semester/summer, because it's like a non-voluntary time suck. The option isn't there for the other sections of the app, so I don't think they care as much or necessarily expect you to chop up your activities.

That said, if I were you, I would list marching as 4 separate entries spanning the Fall semesters, as it seems more accurate. Plus, that way you can tweak the descriptions as you gained more responsibility, your hours/week look more significant, etc.

Last edited:
I think they want to see employment separated specifically to see how many hrs you were working (presumably to support yourself) each semester/summer, because it's like a non-voluntary time suck. The option isn't there for the other sections of the app, so I don't think they care as much or necessarily expect you to chop up your activities.

That said, if I were you, I would list marching as 4 separate entries spanning the Fall semesters, as it seems more accurate. Plus, that way you can tweak the descriptions as you gained more responsibility, your hours/week look more significant, etc.
How does it look at the admissions that a person went to school and worked? Thanks

How does it look at the admissions that a person went to school and worked? Thanks

I have seen adcoms on this site say if you were successful in maintaining a comp GPA while working and going to school full-time, it will obviously be a big plus to your app...

I had to do this and it was very hard for me personally....But not really sure it is all that unique, I think there a lot of people who had the same situation and medicine seems to be self selecting for people with this personality, work ethic... Etc.

Either way...nothing about this is under your control anymore...reflect on why you are here, not what you think someone wants to see or how it will look... I think this outlook has helped me with secondaries, PS and hopefully, future interviews. Be yourself...and in the end all will come out in the wash.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to send the additional LOR to TCOM? I could not find them on then Interfolio delivery locations list. Was going to call them today but missed their office is already closed.

Does anyone know how to send the additional LOR to TCOM? I could not find them on then Interfolio delivery locations list. Was going to call them today but missed their office is already closed.

Take a look at the email they sent you after you submitted the secondary (if you did).

Optional letters of recommendation can be sent to our office at the following address:

TCOM Admissions & Outreach
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76107

Can anyone give me some advice. Being in texas our average tuition in about 15 k. Would it be worth applying to out of state schools who tuition going around 40-45k?

Can anyone give me some advice. Being in texas our average tuition in about 15 k. Would it be worth applying to out of state schools who tuition going around 40-45k?

You're already an attending physician per your profile.

It depends on your stats, but most TX residents seem better served to stay in-state unless they are below (OOS DO) or above (OOS MD) average (my opinion only as a non-resident).

You're already an attending physician per your profile.

It depends on your stats, but most TX residents seem better served to stay in-state unless they are below (OOS DO) or above (OOS MD) average (my opinion only as a non-resident).
What is considered the OOS MD average?

Take a look at the email they sent you after you submitted the secondary (if you did).

Optional letters of recommendation can be sent to our office at the following address:

TCOM Admissions & Outreach
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Okay, I was hoping I could electronically send it.

What is considered the OOS MD average?

That is pretty subjective IMO.

Personally, I would not leave Texas due to the cost and quality of medical education. I don't see a benefit in applying OOS unless you are gunning for top 20 schools; where you would want to be around 3.9/35. So essentially, an applicant above the 3.7/31 of TTUHSC. The thing is, schools like UTSW are already amazing colleges and average 3.9/35.

I just submitted my TMDSAS application and noticed that I copy-pasted the optional essay I had written in notepad into the boxes for BOTH the characteristics/education essay and also for the unique experience essay. I had written three separate essays, but submitted two. My PS was fine. I cannot fix this online, as TMDSAS explicitly says on site that I can't.

However, my application definitely won't be transmitted when I call them first thing in the morning tomorrow. What do you think the odds are that I could convince them to open up my application, or at least allow me to cancel it and resubmit a new application with the correct info??

I know this was completely my mistake, and believe me, I've beaten myself up to an appropriate extent for this.

Is it worth applying TMDSAS as an OOS applicant if I'm taking the MCAT in July? Which means my app will not be totally complete until mid-August. I'd considered myself borderline. ~3.4 cGPA/sGPA, but solid clinical/volunteering hours and >1000 hours research. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.