*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If in other sections I added activities that I'm currently participating in and I plan on continuing for the next year or so, should I put that in the planned activities section as well? Kinda confused.

Also, I'd like to get some feedback on putting activities in multiple sections - are you changing the description to match the section or are you keeping them the same throughout sections?

Members don't see this ad.

If this is your personal statement, make sure to cover the breadth and depth of your experiences that have guided you to pursue medicine as well as your motivation for a career in healthcare.
And yes, tie in your shadowing and volunteering experiences, and rather than stating what you did, explain what you learned and how your observations of the profession align with your own motivations to help you make that decision to pursue med school.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it okay to take a picture with my fawxhawk? It's really small.

It's small. Like this picture

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5f/8a/46/5f8a4648a22327632bc5d3fdf55144a4.jpg
This is a perfect example of what NOT to attach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No sunglasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No casual clothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to be professionally dressed and groomed. That means wearing a suit, tie, and suit jacket. Also, I wouldn't sport any unique hairstyles on my photo .

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, what did they say when you called? Did they let you fix it?
They allowed me to cancel, recreate a brand new app (new transcripts, new letters, and new tmdsas Id/email)
Lesson learned:edit

How long on average did it take for your transcripts to reach TMDSAS? It's been 3 weeks and none have been received

This is a perfect example of what NOT to attach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to be professionally dressed and groomed. That means wearing a suit, tie, and suit jacket. Also, I wouldn't sport any unique hairstyles on my photo .

So, are we all in agreement that Getoutlady is a troll, or...?

Edit: sorry Texan, I meant to quote GetOut and not you...not sure how to fix that on the mobile app.

I only meant the hairstyle. Not the sunglasses. Of course I will be wearing a suit I just meant the length/height of the faux hawk

So, are we all in agreement that Getoutlady is a troll, or...?

Edit: sorry Texan, I meant to quote GetOut and not you...not sure how to fix that on the mobile app.
I was serious. I don't know how that puts me in troll status

I only meant the hairstyle. Not the sunglasses. Of course I will be wearing a suit I just meant the length/height of the faux hawk
I think you should try to comb it down into a more professional/serious style. Same for interviews. You want to show them that a.) you're taking the process seriously, and b.) you can pull off that serious "I'll be your doctor" vibe when the time comes.

Hey guys; I'm so confused - do we need to do anything to the Chronology of Activities part of the app?

If in other sections I added activities that I'm currently participating in and I plan on continuing for the next year or so, should I put that in the planned activities section as well? Kinda confused.

Also, I'd like to get some feedback on putting activities in multiple sections - are you changing the description to match the section or are you keeping them the same throughout sections?

I'm just putting everything the same.. Relisting everything :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just putting everything the same.. Relisting everything :shrug:
When you're done with all your activities just click the button on the chronology and it will automatically populate everything for you, don't waste your time typing it all in! Then all you have to do is check that it's all correct in there and edit the short 50 character blurbs.

When you're done with all your activities just click the button on the chronology and it will automatically populate everything for you, don't waste your time typing it all in! Then all you have to do is check that it's all correct in there and edit the short 50 character blurbs.

How do you edit the 50 character blurbs? They're all cut off and the FAQ of this page says it's fine to leave it truncated?

How do you edit the 50 character blurbs? They're all cut off and the FAQ of this page says it's fine to leave it truncated?
If you click on edit next to each of them you can edit. It might be fine to leave it, I just didn't like to see it all weird and cut off mid-sentence, but maybe I'm just a little bit neurotic.

If you click on edit next to each of them you can edit. It might be fine to leave it, I just didn't like to see it all weird and cut off mid-sentence, but maybe I'm just a little bit neurotic.

Oh okay! I called and was told the chronology is for applicants only so I'll just leave it as is.

Oh okay! I called and was told the chronology is for applicants only so I'll just leave it as is.
I can't imagine this is true... I thought it was so that the adcoms could easily see your entire combined schedule (including course load, ECs, work hrs, research hrs, etc) as it progressed throughout your undergrad (and beyond, if applicable). Why would it be for applicants themselves? It's not like we don't know how our own lives have gone... I mean I have a pretty bad memory, but it's not that bad. We literally just input that info.

My application was finally transmitted to schools I am SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.
Except for one tiny detail... I just noticed one of my course numbers is wrong. It's supposed to be 355 and it shows up as 485. Should I contact TMDSAS? Or is this not a huge deal?

Hey, idontknowwhatnametopick!
So I noticed that too in one of my classes..I swear I don't have dyslexia but I wrote WCR when it was supposed to be WRC. Yours is a quite different number though!

I emailed through the internal-email system and they told me that they will not be able to fix details like that and that I should talk about it during my interviews. UMM?? Who in the world is going to spend time during the interview talking about details you messed up on the app?? Oh well, I believe it is a generic email response though.

Im glad you have finally transmitted!! I am dying for mine to transmit. I submitted June 15th, a tad late from a lot of the folks on here. It seems like June is when they receive a bulk of their apps because it slowed down dramatically from May!

I'm paraphrasing here but I think the general consensus is it isn't "bad" its just not that important. The main reason, is a letter from a physician you shadowed can't really speak to anything significant of who you are.

I'm not 100% on this but I think logically a physician you have a significant relationship with, beyond simple shadowing, is a completely different scenario and I would utilize this.

As far as a DO letter, I had a strong letter from a DO, but decided not to send it to any allopathic schools and only used it for TCOM. I just decided it wasn't worth any possible bias, whether that is reality or not.

I hardly think an adcom is going to say " this guy... Unbelievable making me read a third letter.. REJECT!"

Just use common sense, if it is a strong letter include it, if not don't waste anybody's time.... Because in the grand scheme of things it is only a small contributing detail.

I sent a third letter because I have not been undergraduate school for a very long time and unfortunately do not have any LORs from science professors. So I have my graduate professor (Masters in Education) and two doctors that I work with vouch for me. The way I figure is that I need to add on as many positives on my side as possible. With these three letters I hope that they show that I am very versatile/interdisciplinary person ready to tackle medicine.

Hey, idontknowwhatnametopick!
So I noticed that too in one of my classes..I swear I don't have dyslexia but I wrote WCR when it was supposed to be WRC. Yours is a quite different number though!

I emailed through the internal-email system and they told me that they will not be able to fix details like that and that I should talk about it during my interviews. UMM?? Who in the world is going to spend time during the interview talking about details you messed up on the app?? Oh well, I believe it is a generic email response though.

Im glad you have finally transmitted!! I am dying for mine to transmit. I submitted June 15th, a tad late from a lot of the folks on here. It seems like June is when they receive a bulk of their apps because it slowed down dramatically from May!
I'll call TMDSAS and see what they say. I'll let you know. The answer might be different over the phone.
You should be verified soon, and frankly it doesn't look like it's making much of a difference. We just might get slightly later interviews. But I was refreshing the login page every 20 minutes or so for a few days when they got close to mine 11th so I know how you feel :p

If I am retaking the MCAT in June and indicate that on the medical school application, could medical schools still evaluate my applications and decide to reject me (based on previous MCAT score) before my new MCAT scores come in? I rushed the January 2015 MCAT and that didn't go well, but my premed adviser mentioned that this upcoming application cycle, medical school admissions will see a huge spike of people rushing the old MCAT with low scores. She assured me that as long as I perform well on the new MCAT, medical schools will look at my new score and ignore the old score.
Bump

I'll take a crack at this-
MCAT scores are never ignored. If you retake the MCAT and improve upon it, then definitely that is considered but in lieu of past scores. Significantly improving an MCAT score works in your favor. Going downhill well works against you.

Since you indicated on your app that you will be retaking an MCAT later in cycle, your app will presumably be put on hold for review until the admissions receives your new score, after which it will go under review.

I wouldn't suspect that they would throw your app away. I had a colleague of mine last year who scored 24 MCAT but indicated that he would retake in August and got a 33 later. He did well with interviews and did well on the Match Day as well.

All the best to you on your retake.

I'll take a crack at this-
MCAT scores are never ignored. If you retake the MCAT and improve upon it, then definitely that is considered but in lieu of past scores. Significantly improving an MCAT score works in your favor. Going downhill well works against you.

Since you indicated on your app that you will be retaking an MCAT later in cycle, your app will presumably be put on hold for review until the admissions receives your new score, after which it will go under review.

I wouldn't suspect that they would throw your app away. I had a colleague of mine last year who scored 24 MCAT but indicated that he would retake in August and got a 33 later. He did well with interviews and did well on the Match Day as well.

All the best to you on your retake.
How about if I submit my application without letting them know I am going to retake the mcat? I plan on submitting within the next two days but I don't get my mcat score until July 21st? The reason I would do this because I don't want to be put on hold.

How about if I submit my application without letting them know I am going to retake the mcat? I plan on submitting within the next two days but I don't get my mcat score until July 21st? The reason I would do this because I don't want to be put on hold.

Here's my advice if you're getting MCAT score on July 21st - submit it now and indicate that you had taken the June MCAT. It will take TMDSAS about 2-3 weeks to transmit your app to schools anyways and by that time your score would be in and would get automatically uploaded to your app. This way you would avoid having a late submission while safeguarding yourself from a potential screen-out.

Hope this helped.

Should my MCAT score show up on the main page of TMDSAS or just the date?

Should my MCAT score show up on the main page of TMDSAS or just the date?

The main page shows the date you took the MCAT and the date TMDSAS received the score. It doesn't show the score itself.

Hey guys, I was wondering how bad is it that I didn't put study abroad in my activities (because I didn't think you were supposed to), but I talk about it in my statement and it's obvious from the transcript? Any way is there anything I can do?

Would being a scribe undergo both sections, employment and Health exposure(extracurricular).

Would being a scribe undergo both sections, employment and Health exposure(extracurricular).

I listed scribing so many times on tmdsas it's not funny. Yes you can list 1 activity under multiple categories.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys; I think there's a SDN site where people list the date they submitted the app and the date their TMDSAS was transmitted - I can't seem to find the link.
Can anyone link me to it?

Last edited:
Hey guys; I think there's a SDN site where people list the date they submitted the app and the date their TMDSAS was submitted - I can't seem to find the link.
Iamyou

Hey guys; I think there's a SDN site where people list the date they submitted the app and the date their TMDSAS was transmitted - I can't seem to find the link.
There's definitely one for AMCAS but not for TMDSAS I don't think. They actually keep their website announcements up to date though from what I've seen, because I submitted at 1130pm on the 11th and right after my app got transmitted they updated the site to say they were now reviewing 6/12 applications. So I'd trust the website.

A couple of people have II's from TCOM and UTMB. They are IS applicants with impressive stats so I wouldn't get too worried right now.

A couple of people have II's from TCOM and UTMB. They are IS applicants with impressive stats so I wouldn't get too worried right now.

I have an interview from TCOM as OOS.

Last edited:
TMDSAS still hasn't recieved my school's committee packet and probably won't until mid july because one of my professors had some miscommunication with her rec letter and that delayed everything by about a month. Is this going to significantly hurt my chances?

TMDSAS still hasn't recieved my school's committee packet and probably won't until mid july because one of my professors had some miscommunication with her rec letter and that delayed everything by about a month. Is this going to significantly hurt my chances?
Well considering some people have gotten II without letters, I wanna say you're gonna be okay.

Hey guys I need some advice. I am going to retake august 6 and I am applying to all the Texas schools(TMDSAS)
I have already applied, is it wise to indicate a future retake or try to see if I get any interviews and not let them know.
Stats/Extracurricular
3.5 gpa
37-47 overall on the mcat
Mcat
chem/phys. 62-77
verbal 17-32
biology 49-64
psychology 38-53

280 hours shadowing
1 year scribe (600 hours)
full time job during undergrad.

Trying to apply this cycle

I'm finally getting ready to submit... Am I too late in the game at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.