*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are updating your personal contact info, etc. that should be done immediately.
I'm not sure what the rest of the "updates" fall under

Just want to send in stuff about a recent publication

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is a late question, but do I need to wait for my TMDAS application to be verified before being able to apply to a school?

I know this is a late question, but do I need to wait for my TMDAS application to be verified before being able to apply to a school?
They will only start verification after you hit submit. Better hurry up, TMDSAS closes October 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I just have one question before submitting my application, in Financial part, where do you count the percentage for the grant and financial aid , in need-based financial scholarship or other sources?

And the TMDSAS application portal is officially closed!

Now if only I could get an interview from a Texas school!

Texas schools have been so quiet!!! Are they done giving the bulk of their interviews???? Or is it just that people could care less to come and report them on SDN??
I am so lost as to what to do and how to proceed forward. Can't think of what's holding my application back. Really expected to have heard from someone by now, but its been dead silence!

Not sure what my options are going to come down to. Does anyone know if Letters of Interest have any significance? I just don't know what to do at this point... So distressing.

@texan2414

Is your app competitive?

It is also still early, there are another couple months of interview invites to go out.

@texan2414

Is your app competitive?

It is also still early, there are another couple months of interview invites to go out.
I am a reapplicant from 2014 cycle when I had MCAT of 25 which I retook and improved to 31 (32 superscore). My GPA is 3.9. I also went ahead and did the HPAC Committee Letter from my institution which gave me a score of 4 out of 5. I also have decent ECs with a lot of research, clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, and participation in SMDEP program. My PS was reviewed by med students, academic advisors, and the Writing Center at my undergraduate campus. I made sure to write the optional essays, etc.

Only place where I am disadvantaged is my app submission. I submitted my app 6/20 and it was transmitted to schools 7/16. I received Under Review statuses from all the schools by end of July, with the last one from UTMB on Aug 3rd. Since then its been complete and utter silence. I just don't know what to make of all of this.

Also, I'm not sure why people are still saying that its still "early" in the interviewing cycle. Most schools are currently sending invites now for November. That leaves December and at only select schools, 1-2 January dates. Its getting to the finish line for all the applicants. Soon, the forums will be buzzing with OOS acceptances and then onwards to Pre-Match hype, leaving applicants like me with even less glimmer of hope for an interview as schools begin wrapping up their season.

Texas schools don't even have any status updates other than the "Under Review" notification. If I have already been rejected pre-interview, I should at least get a notification already, so I can start looking into my perceived weaknesses in my application and gear up for reapp in 2016. I'm just really lost and looking for whatever guidance my colleagues can offer me here. My pre-med advisor is of no help as they repeat the same technicalities admissions offices say (to keep waiting).

If anyone has any insight, feel free to PM me or post it here.

Sincerely,

Also, I'm not sure why people are still saying that its still "early" in the interviewing cycle. Most schools are currently sending invites now for November. That leaves December and at only select schools, 1-2 January dates. Its getting to the finish line for all the applicants. Soon, the forums will be buzzing with OOS acceptances and then onwards to Pre-Match hype, leaving applicants like me with even less glimmer of hope for an interview as schools begin wrapping up their season.

Texas schools don't even have any status updates other than the "Under Review" notification. If I have already been rejected pre-interview, I should at least get a notification already, so I can start looking into my perceived weaknesses in my application and gear up for reapp in 2016. I'm just really lost and looking for whatever guidance my colleagues can offer me here. My pre-med advisor is of no help as they repeat the same technicalities admissions offices say (to keep waiting).

If anyone has any insight, feel free to PM me or post it here.

Sincerely,
I mean... I don't know what anybody can do other than tell you to keep waiting :s
Did you contact schools after not getting in last year, to see if they have input on why you didn't get in? Did you get any interviews last cycle?
You didn't mention your GPA, is it low?
There are so many things that could be going on with your application, it's hard for strangers to really understand what's going on.

I wish you the best of luck though. Hopefully you'll get interviews soon.

I mean... I don't know what anybody can do other than tell you to keep waiting :s
Did you contact schools after not getting in last year, to see if they have input on why you didn't get in? Did you get any interviews last cycle?
You didn't mention your GPA, is it low?
There are so many things that could be going on with your application, it's hard for strangers to really understand what's going on.

I wish you the best of luck though. Hopefully you'll get interviews soon.
My GPA is 3.9 (both science and cumulative).
I did contact the admissions office last year after being unsuccessful and to quote on of the Deans "if it wasn't for my low MCAT, I'd be an entering student that year".

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is 3.9 (both science and cumulative).
I did contact the admissions office last year after being unsuccessful and to quote on of the Deans "if it wasn't for my low MCAT, I'd be an entering student that year".
That's unfortunate :(
Your MCAT increased by a lot so if that's the only thing that stopped them last year, I'm not sure what's going on now.
I have heard that reapplicant aren't viewed as favorably, so maybe that's the problem this time? I wish the admission process was more transparent.

That's unfortunate :(
Your MCAT increased by a lot so if that's the only thing that stopped them last year, I'm not sure what's going on now.
I have heard that reapplicant aren't viewed as favorably, so maybe that's the problem this time? I wish the admission process was more transparent.
Reapplicant stigma is not such a drastic factor in Texas. In fact, a lot of adcoms encourage reapplication for weak candidates who don't make it in a particular year. IIRC, 35% of Texas A&M's EY2014 student body was reapplicant. And last year at TT-Lubbock's Reapplicant Seminar, I met a med student who was a 3rd time applicant when we got his acceptance.

I did every conceivable thing to improve my application. Increased my MCAT score, got more shadowing hours, drastically improved PS. Hence my confusion as to what might have happened with my app :(

Reapplicant stigma is not such a drastic factor in Texas. In fact, a lot of adcoms encourage reapplication for weak candidates who don't make it in a particular year. IIRC, 35% of Texas A&M's EY2014 student body was reapplicant. And last year at TT-Lubbock's Reapplicant Seminar, I met a med student who was a 3rd time applicant when we got his acceptance.

I did every conceivable thing to improve my application. Increased my MCAT score, got more shadowing hours, drastically improved PS. Hence my confusion as to what might have happened with my app :(
I'm sorry that you're going through this :( I can only imagine
Latest thought that popped into my mind is maybe you have a bad letter of recommendation? Schools wouldn't have told you that because you waived your right to see the letters.

Hey guys,

My School Rank Preference list was updated with UTH and UTSW immediately after each of those interviews. However, it has been over a week since my TTL interview and I still don't see it on my list. Have any of you who interviewed with TTL seen your list updated with that school yet? If yes, how long did it take?

Hey guys,

My School Rank Preference list was updated with UTH and UTSW immediately after each of those interviews. However, it has been over a week since my TTL interview and I still don't see it on my list. Have any of you who interviewed with TTL seen your list updated with that school yet? If yes, how long did it take?
Give it some time. It took TTL a couple of weeks to update in my portal, but a couple of other schools I interviewed at took about a month.

Last edited:
Question: I was planning on registering to take the MCAT on May 20, 2016 so that my scores would be in by July 1st when AMCAS starts reviewing applications. However, now that the TMDSAS applications open and begin to be reviewed immediately on May 1st, does this mean that my scores will keep my application from being reviewed until the score release in late June? How big of an issue is this? Will it significantly decrease my chances of getting into an upper tier Texas school? Thanks!

Question: I was planning on registering to take the MCAT on May 20, 2016 so that my scores would be in by July 1st when AMCAS starts reviewing applications. However, now that the TMDSAS applications open and begin to be reviewed immediately on May 1st, does this mean that my scores will keep my application from being reviewed until the score release in late June? How big of an issue is this? Will it significantly decrease my chances of getting into an upper tier Texas school? Thanks!
Do you think you could take the MCAT a month earlier and get the exact same score? If so, I'd take it earlier. But if you think you'd do better on May 20th than earlier, then just keep it where it's at, and do the best you possibly can on it!

My TMDSAS was verified June 30th, I'm OOS, and still interviewed all over Texas, so I don't think July 1st would be a problem. Does the new MCAT really take that long to get scored???

Reactions: 1 user

You'll be fine. Late June is still considered early compared to submitting your app in August, September, or October. Schools won't review your app until your MCAT scores are in, however schools don't start downloading the applications until June and no Texas school starts reviewing apps on May 1st so you won't be too far behind. Just make sure that you submit your application first without your mcat scores. Don't wait for your scores to get in and then decide to submit your app because you'll be putting yourself at a disadvantage due to longer wait times for verification of transcripts, LOR's, and application processing.

does anyone know if research for credit or "other science" courses count in the science gpa?

Where is the school rank preference list on the portal? I'm currently not seeing it...

Where is the school rank preference list on the portal? I'm currently not seeing it...

How long ago were your interviews? You won't see it until schools that have interviewed you update TMDSAS with that information.

Approximately 32 hours tills pre match. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Does everyone have a "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal" section under the Pending Actions tab in TMDSAS?

Neuroticism is threatening to overcome my faculties.

Thankfully, I have an interview at Dell tomorrow to take my mind off of 11/15.
Have fun at Dell. I really liked their interview Day. You could have the fastest turn around offer if Dell likes you. :)

I wonder if they actually will send it out on sunday though. Will it be exactly at midnight?

I just reviewed the TMDSAS prereq page regarding AP credit. It states: "AP or CLEP credit is accepted only if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on an official transcript. Lump sum credit is not accepted. If these do not appear on the transcript, an official letter from the registrar is required."

Does that mean it has to give you credit for that course specifically? My transcript says it's AP Credit - AP101 AP Exam - English-Comp&Lit 1.0 Credit. Is that sufficient? I assumed it was, but now I'm worried, considering I've only taken 1 true English course and expected my AP stats to carry me through the stats req.

Advice appreciated!

So you are telling me pre-match is in about 6 hours :eek:

also wouldnt it be school specific? (based on of course if you got in)
Yes, traditionally schools will send out pre-match offers at midnight. I only know this from some of my older friends happily freaking out at midnight in years past. But yes the schools will send out individual emails, so it is school specific.

Yes, traditionally schools will send out pre-match offers at midnight. I only know this from some of my older friends happily freaking out at midnight in years past. But yes the schools will send out individual emails, so it is school specific.
My boyfriend got nothing at midnight but he did in the morning, so I really really realllyyy hope it's a midnight. That would be so exciting!

ok so how do these prematches work? i didnt get any today so am i to assume i will just have to wait till the match? my interviews were as early as august 3rd...

Alright, so I wasn't accepted to TCOM or TAMHSC today. I think TAMHSC is really prematch heavy (on the thread, some mentioned they give out as many early offers as spots in the class). How does this work from here on out? Are the 9 public schools competing for the same candidates? When a candidate turns down a prematch offer, are more prematch offers extended until the class is filled?

And if the class is filled via the prematch, is there a decent chance to match there?

Alright, so I wasn't accepted to TCOM or TAMHSC today. I think TAMHSC is really prematch heavy (on the thread, some mentioned they give out as many early offers as spots in the class). How does this work from here on out? Are the 9 public schools competing for the same candidates? When a candidate turns down a prematch offer, are more prematch offers extended until the class is filled?

And if the class is filled via the prematch, is there a decent chance to match there?

TAMHSC's class will not be filled via the pre-match. The 9 Texas public schools are basically competing for the same candidates, and since most of us who received multiple pre-match offers are holding on to them as of right now, we have to give up those seats when the Match process comes around. So the match will always open up additional seats and then fill them accordingly using your preference rankings as well as the school's. And since A&M offered around 400 total acceptances last year, that tells me that a lot of people end up withdrawing their offer and going somewhere else so yes, there is a decent chance to match at TAMHSC. If someone declines a pre-match offer from TAMHSC they may decide to extend another pre-match offer or they can always fill that seat with the match. There is no sure way to tell how each school's Adcom works. Keep your head up! Most people apparently get in through the match, and you have to remember that SDN is a small pool of the 5,000+ Texas applicants.

Last edited:
Just wondering, but should I start worrying about reapplying next cycle or is there plenty of time left for interviews? Health Professions Office at my university said that more interviews would start to come out after pre-match but I haven't had any luck. As an IS applicant its been nerve-racking to have silence from all the schools.

Just wondering, but should I start worrying about reapplying next cycle or is there plenty of time left for interviews? Health Professions Office at my university said that more interviews would start to come out after pre-match but I haven't had any luck. As an IS applicant its been nerve-racking to have silence from all the schools.
I cant speak for anyone else, but I personally terminated 2 interviews upon prematch so there *are* spots opening up given that you are competitive.

Best of luck!

TAMHSC's class will not be filled via the pre-match. The 9 Texas public schools are basically competing for the same candidates, and since most of us who received multiple pre-match offers are holding on to them as of right now, we have to give up those seats when the Match process comes around. So the match will always open up additional seats and then fill them accordingly using your preference rankings as well as the school's. And since A&M offered around 400 total acceptances last year, that tells me that a lot of people end up withdrawing their offer and going somewhere else so yes, there is a decent chance to match at TAMHSC. If someone declines a pre-match offer from TAMHSC they may decide to extend another pre-match offer or they can always fill that seat with the match. There is no sure way to tell how each school's Adcom works. Keep your head up! Most people apparently get in through the match, and you have to remember that SDN is a small pool of the 5,000+ Texas applicants.

Right, and often the most competitive and proactive applicants are vocal about their process in admissions - so not only is SDN a small pool, it is often a pool skewed towards a view some of the 'best' applicants.

I cant speak for anyone else, but I personally terminated 2 interviews upon prematch so there *are* spots opening up given that you are competitive.

Best of luck!

Literally 1 hour after my previous post I received an II from UTMB :)
Super excited!!

Hello everyone. This cycle is not going well for me. How will TMDSAS schools look at my application if I complete a post bacc at UNT but still dont qualify for Texas residency?

Just received an II this morning. And I thought I was done receiving II this cycle!

Can anyone comment on the policy regarding OOS applicants holding multiple TMDSAS acceptances?

The clearest policy I can find is:

By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

I just was not sure if prematch date acceptances counted as "prematching" for OOS students, requiring me to hold one by 2/2/16. In all likelihood I will decide sooner and clear up my spots, but I just wanted to verify. Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the policy regarding OOS applicants holding multiple TMDSAS acceptances?

I just was not sure if prematch date acceptances counted as "prematching" for OOS students, requiring me to hold one by 2/2/16. In all likelihood I will decide sooner and clear up my spots, but I just wanted to verify. Thanks!

OOS students are not part of the (pre)match system at all. You can hold multiple Texas acceptances as an OOS until the April/May dates you quoted.

OK so this may be a long shot, but a while ago someone posted a pdf file with Texas MD statistics for the past 2 years (it had number of people interviewed and matriculated, broken down by school and including IS/OOS data). I have been searching for the link for hours and cannot find it. Does anybody remember seeing it and happen to know where I can find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.