*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so this may be a long shot, but a while ago someone posted a pdf file with Texas MD statistics for the past 2 years (it had number of people interviewed and matriculated, broken down by school and including IS/OOS data). I have been searching for the link for hours and cannot find it. Does anybody remember seeing it and happen to know where I can find it?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1448688153.959747.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you that were accepted, what type of questions did you ask during your interview? I think I may be ruining my chances. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that were accepted, what type of questions did you ask during your interview? I think I may be ruining my chances. Thank you for your help!

"If I had to choose between this school and another Texas medical school, why should I choose this one?"

"What is a defining characteristic that separates the students at this school from the students at another medical school?"

"What are the strengths of this school? What are some of the weaknesses that can be improved upon?"

"Why did you choose to work at/attend this school?"

And many others... I mainly asked questions about the students, faculty, and personality of the school. I stayed away from questions about the curriculum because most of my interviewers didn't know much about it plus it was kind of a boring topic for me. Besides could easily look at it on the website and in the packets they give you on interview day.

Why do you think you may be ruining your chances?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"Why did you choose to work at/attend this school?"

I tried this one at one of my first interviews with a faculty member, and it did not go over well. Guy gave me a very curt response, and then the stinkeye for the rest of the interview. I guess he considered it improper for an applicant to ask that of an interviewer. I reserved this question for students at my later interviews, with better results. Your mileage may vary.

There was one interview where I absolutely could not think of any question that had not already been answered by the website, the presentations, and the discussions with current students. I didn't want to ask something "just to ask", so I told my interviewer that the school had provided so much good information that I didn't have any further questions at this time. In retrospect, maybe I should have just asked something I already knew.

I tried this one at one of my first interviews with a faculty member, and it did not go over well. Guy gave me a very curt response, and then the stinkeye for the rest of the interview. I guess he considered it improper for an applicant to ask that of an interviewer. I reserved this question for students at my later interviews, with better results. Your mileage may vary.

There was one interview where I absolutely could not think of any question that had not already been answered by the website, the presentations, and the discussions with current students. I didn't want to ask something "just to ask", so I told my interviewer that the school had provided so much good information that I didn't have any further questions at this time. In retrospect, maybe I should have just asked something I already knew.
I think it depends on your interviewer. That kind of happened to me at one of my interviews, but all of the other interviewers were happy to answer that question.

OK so this may be a long shot, but a while ago someone posted a pdf file with Texas MD statistics for the past 2 years (it had number of people interviewed and matriculated, broken down by school and including IS/OOS data). I have been searching for the link for hours and cannot find it. Does anybody remember seeing it and happen to know where I can find it?

Is this it? I have it in my download folder for some reason

Attachments

• 15-0de93add4b.jpg
    15-0de93add4b.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 116
oh oops i see someone already answered :oops:

Hey guys! I have a question about the match process and I'm looking for some guidance. I've read on the TMDSAS website/many threads that you can only come out of match day with 1 pre-match. I interviewed at 2 Texas schools, and pre-matched to my second choice. In my acceptance letter at that school, it says that I only have until January 6 to accept/decline my offer. If I accept the seat, I'll still be allowed to enter the match and have the opportunity to match to my #1 choice, correct? I think the whole thing throwing me for a loop is that I have to sign a document and mail it back to my #2 school and it just seemed kinda binding to me.

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times. I've searched for this specific dilemna within threads but haven't found an answer :(. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Prematch offers are not binding for you they are only binding for the school. So you can accept as many as you'd like and it doesn't change the match process. So if you rank the other school higher than the one you currently have an acceptance at, then the worst case scenario would be you get #2 and waitlist at #1 (and then later perhaps an acceptance off the waitlist), or best case, you get your #1 during match!

Prematch offers are not binding for you they are only binding for the school. So you can accept as many as you'd like and it doesn't change the match process. So if you rank the other school higher than the one you currently have an acceptance at, then the worst case scenario would be you get #2 and waitlist at #1 (and then later perhaps an acceptance off the waitlist), or best case, you get your #1 during match!

So if we decide to withdraw acceptances, do we need to send emails to the schools? Or can we just withdraw from the TMDSAS portal? Or do we need to do both? I am so confused, I have withdrawn 3 acceptances from the portal but I don't know if I need to let them know via email too. I guess I will withdraw from the rest of the schools via the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for clarifying that I really appreciate your help!! Good luck this cycle :)!!

So if we decide to withdraw acceptances, do we need to send emails to the schools? Or can we just withdraw from the TMDSAS portal? Or do we need to do both? I am so confused, I have withdrawn 3 acceptances from the portal but I don't know if I need to let them know via email too. I guess I will withdraw from the rest of the schools via the match.

To withdraw from prematch acceptances I'm pretty sure you just need to withdraw on the TMDSAS portal - it should notify the schools.

Does anyone have statistics showing match preferences and acceptance information. (Ex: how many people got in their first choice, second choice, average interviews/applicant, etc) thanks.

Does anyone have statistics showing match preferences and acceptance information. (Ex: how many people got in their first choice, second choice, average interviews/applicant, etc) thanks.
I don't think there is anything out there right now that is this detailed.

Sorry for what will most likely be a dumb/easy question. Should we update schools with fall grades via TMDSAS or directly to the admissions office of the schools we interviewed at?

Sorry for what will most likely be a dumb/easy question. Should we update schools with fall grades via TMDSAS or directly to the admissions office of the schools we interviewed at?
I think it depends on your school. Mine specifically told me not to update it through TMDSAS and send it to them directly.

So if I have a pre match offer, should I accept it or just hold on to it until match day? Does clicking accept on the offer bind me to the school or do anything at all?

Most prematch offers required you to acknowledge them within a few weeks after receiving them

I don't understand the Match process. Do schools set aside a number of people to accept or are people pulled from the interviewed pool until they reach their class quota? If the latter is true, then would say 400 people potentially be accepted but 200 or so would match? Which number is the "Offers Extended" row of the statistics?

Quick Question

Can you change you ranking after the match? For instance, let's say you match with your #2 but not your #1 and you have a change of heart. Can you still change it?

(I'm having a tough time picking my #1 school @_@)

I don't understand the Match process. Do schools set aside a number of people to accept or are people pulled from the interviewed pool until they reach their class quota? If the latter is true, then would say 400 people potentially be accepted but 200 or so would match? Which number is the "Offers Extended" row of the statistics?
You are right. The offers extended includes both prematch and match offers.

After Jan 21st, TMDSAS system fills entire class at every school based on both applicant and school rankings.
It's entirely possible for a medical school class to either be pre-match heavy or 50:50 or match heavy (as is the case with UTH). No one really knows further breakdown of pre-match:match though.

I know I was a late interviewer so I am equally concerned about the ratio of prematch/match seats offered. Hopefully, there's still plenty of seats for later interviewees so they stand a good chance of being accepted.

Quick Question

Can you change you ranking after the match? For instance, let's say you match with your #2 but not your #1 and you have a change of heart. Can you still change it?

(I'm having a tough time picking my #1 school @_@)
If I were you, I'd go about it in a bit odd way.
I'd rank first the school where you think you have the lesser chance of getting accepted between your #1 and #2, that way you are on their waiting list should you don't match there.

I have a question..and it might be a stupid one. After match day, can you still hear from any of the Texas schools or do you have to interview there before ranking submission to be considered in the rolling admissions etc?
I am assuming you have to interview and rank the school before match day to be considered in the rolling admissions but I am just making sure. I have interviewed at 5 Texas schools but there is one school that I really wanted to interview at and it looks like I don't have a chance there. I am excited to hopefully match to my number 1 rank, just kind of need to know the answer to my question so I can get over that school.

You are right. The offers extended includes both prematch and match offers.

I meant do the offers extended include the people who would've been accepted but they got into a higher ranked school? Or just those that match?

I meant do the offers extended include the people who would've been accepted but they got into a higher ranked school? Or just those that match?
I don't think so.

In my opinion, after we submit our rankings, the TMDSAS looks over the match and determines if there are any empty seats at schools as people rank other schools higher - they then communicate empty seat data to the schools who probably then rank more applicants and sends them to TMDSAS so that all classes get filled completely come match day.

Mine is just a speculation but who knows what algorithms are in place for TMDSAS Match.

This topic might have already been covered but I'm still having a hard time ranking UTMB and UTHSCSA. They're the only schools I pre matched to and I'm still conflicted on which acceptance I should give up tomorrow. I loved my interview day and the overall environment at UTHSCSA, however UTMB has the more enticing curriculum and step scores imo. Can anyone that has already ranked the schools give your two cents on the matter?

Last edited:
I am not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but will you be notified if you were withdrawn from all schools due to failing to submit your rankings? I am pretty sure that I simply changed my rankings following each interview, but my last one was so long ago that I cannot remember. I had a long flight today and landed after the deadline (I misremembered it as midnight instead of 5 =/). I am pretty sure I ranked, but being a typical pre-med, I am freaking out because I wasn't able to check it at the last minute.

I am not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but will you be notified if you were withdrawn from all schools due to failing to submit your rankings? I am pretty sure that I simply changed my rankings following each interview, but my last one was so long ago that I cannot remember. I had a long flight today and landed after the deadline (I misremembered it as midnight instead of 5 =/). I am pretty sure I ranked, but being a typical pre-med, I am freaking out because I wasn't able to check it at the last minute.
I would just call TMDSAS tomorrow. There is no reason to freak out before calling them. The office is super polite, so I am sure they will be receptive to your question.

@Med_2016 I also thought midnight and am freaking out even though I had submitted on an earlier day

I am freaking out as well. do you all remember there was a reset button? I dont know if I might have press that and thinking that "I might rank later."
And what do you see in ranking page right now?
I thought I am the only one freaking out about this

To people who 100% know that they submitted, can you see your match rankings? Or do you get the, "this function is now closed, please check back at 8am on Feb. 1"?

To people who 100% know that they submitted, can you see your match rankings? Or do you get the, "this function is now closed, please check back at 8am on Feb. 1"?

I believe that's what it says for me as well. I have a quick, sort of silly, question. If I interviewed at only one place AND received a prematch there, I rank it "1". Does that meant that I am pretty going to match there automatically on Feb 1 right?

I believe that's what it says for me as well. I have a quick, sort of silly, question. If I interviewed at only one place AND received a prematch there, I rank it "1". Does that meant that I am pretty going to match there automatically on Feb 1 right?
yes. unless if you get an another interview after feb 1 which happens rarely but it could happen.

I submitted mine the day before and when I went back to check yesterday (before 5pm) they were still there in the correct order. After 5pm it gave me the same page it is giving y'all. If I remember correctly the page said something like "please note these rankings somewhere because they will not be available to view after 5pm Jan. 21st" so I took a screenshot of mine just in case.

Reactions: 3 users
If you didn't hear back from certain schools this cycle (in my case...Texas A&M), does that count as a silent rejection?

If you didn't hear back from certain schools this cycle (in my case...Texas A&M), does that count as a silent rejection?
Yes. If you look at threads from last year it looks like schools will reject following match day, but if you haven't heard from them when rankings were due then you aren't going to hear from them from what I can gather.

So, I remember Ms Diaz from TAMHSC saying that the schools know which applicants matched at their school a little earlier than we do (on Feb 1st). Do yall think they already know?

So, I remember Ms Diaz from TAMHSC saying that the schools know which applicants matched at their school a little earlier than we do (on Feb 1st). Do yall think they already know?

I wonder if this means we might hear back before the match? If the schools decide to send out a welcome email. :D

Hey, yeah mine says this too- I was freaking out about it since I submitted my rank preferences pretty early! I thought maybe it had withdrawn everything since it had been awhile since I looked at the TMDSAS page.

Does anyone know when we can expect waitlist emails? Unfortunately, I didn't match and so now I am just hoping that they even liked me enough to waitlist me. I feel as though those emails would have come out by now though. :arghh:

It's not 8am CT yet, FYI

Yep. Was just about to add the edit that I am an idiot. :lol:The nerves are really starting to wear down my sanity. Well, hopefully I won't need the answer to this question!

EDIT: I need an answer. ='(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.