*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, well according to the handbook...

"If you have activities that fit into more than one of the categories below, you should list the activity in each section. We recommend that you list activities in multiple sections if they meet the criteria in more than one category."

In that case it does seem like it would be appropriate to list the same number of hours for both. As long as its clear that they are both the same activity I don't see a problem

Yeah thanks! I saw that you could list it twice, but then got confused about listing the hours! Thanks for the response! I made it clear it was the exact same activity, gave them the same title. Just getting worried haha, don't want to make a little dumb mistake somewhere.

So I think my other question got buried somewhere, I was wondering if anyone else had the same question? I know AP credits need to be on the official transcript with a specific course equivalent and credit hours. My main school I am graduating from does not list all this info on the transcript, but my initial school I transferred from does. Is this ok? I can just list them with my freshman grades from that school then. But if it's not I can go their route of getting a letter from my current school about the credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Since transfer credits are not listed, I personally listed my AP course in my freshman year, where it showed on my first college's transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
Nevermind, in leadership you don't have to say any hours, so that's the only place I duplicated two things, so I put all hours when I listed those two things in volunteering or employment.

Yep, that's perfect

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah thanks! I saw that you could list it twice, but then got confused about listing the hours! Thanks for the response! I made it clear it was the exact same activity, gave them the same title. Just getting worried haha, don't want to make a little dumb mistake somewhere.

So I think my other question got buried somewhere, I was wondering if anyone else had the same question? I know AP credits need to be on the official transcript with a specific course equivalent and credit hours. My main school I am graduating from does not list all this info on the transcript, but my initial school I transferred from does. Is this ok? I can just list them with my freshman grades from that school then. But if it's not I can go their route of getting a letter from my current school about the credits.

It sounds like you got college credit for your AP course at your first college, and transferred those credits to the second. If so, as long as the AP credits show up on your first transcript you are good. On your grades section, list the ap credit under the same semester during which you claimed them

It sounds like you got college credit for your AP course at your first college, and transferred those credits to the second. If so, as long as the AP credits show up on your first transcript you are good. On your grades section, list the ap credit under the same semester during which you claimed them
Hey thanks!
And also congrats on your cycle! Incredible!!

I had the same - I'm putting undergrad research experience as "Other Science."

Any thoughts on the course area for being a teaching assistant? Mine was CHEM 466 for orgo lab and the course is Teaching Assistant. I'm thinking other science, but not sure.

Also, I took science courses when I studied abroad. Course descriptions appear as both "TRCR XXX Biochemistry (Major)" and "TRCR XXX Transfer Credit (Elect)" The latter was a biology course which is indicated in the notes section of my transcript. But since it was abroad, would both of these be non-science? And my official grade is a "Pass" but in the notes, it lists a letter grade. Would I put in "Pass"?

Oh and is a senior thesis in a bio category other science?

Any thoughts? I'll probably call next week for clarification but I wasn't sure if someone already had. Thanks!

Really...why?

So let's say I put something under two categories, I have to divide my hours into two? Come to think of it, I may have duplicated but there may have been a category that didn't require hours to be mentioned. Will check later, thanks for the info.
It's not altruistic to double dip. You should have plenty of diversity in your app. It was mentioned to me by Dr. Diaz, Dr. Filo, and Dr, Rabek that double dipping negatively impacts your app.

Hey guys I have a quick question I remember reading somewhere you were allowed to submit the application without having all your letters of rec in. If I am doing a school committee letter could I still submit my application without it? My committee would be able to give me the letter like June 7th and I don't want to wait that long to submit.

I will be separating from the military and joining the NY Air National Guard/going to school for the next 3 years. Will this have any effect on my Texas residency and my ability to apply as a Texas resident?

Is there a significant advantage to submitting your application on the beginning of May vs the end of May? I know both are considered early.

It's not altruistic to double dip. You should have plenty of diversity in your app. It was mentioned to me by Dr. Diaz, Dr. Filo, and Dr, Rabek that double dipping negatively impacts your app.

Honestly, I find that statement ridiculous. I'm not saying that it isn't truthful, but this is from the TMDSAS Handbook (bolded by them, not me):
If you have activities that fit into more than one of the categories below, you should list the activity in each section. We recommend that you list activities in multiple sections if they meet the criteria in more than one category.

Given that the handbook recommended it, I did it. I'm certainly not going to be very happy if something the handbook said to do has a negative impact on my application. Also, it makes sense to "double dip" in some categories. If I have employment that fits into healthcare or research activities, I have to choose one or the other? I kept the description exactly the same between the two. I hope this doesn't hurt me. I just followed instructions. :(

Honestly, I find that statement ridiculous. I'm not saying that it isn't truthful, but this is from the TMDSAS Handbook (bolded by them, not me):
If you have activities that fit into more than one of the categories below, you should list the activity in each section. We recommend that you list activities in multiple sections if they meet the criteria in more than one category.

Given that the handbook recommended it, I did it. I'm certainly not going to be very happy if something the handbook said to do has a negative impact on my application. Also, it makes sense to "double dip" in some categories. If I have employment that fits into healthcare or research activities, I have to choose one or the other? I kept the description exactly the same between the two. I hope this doesn't hurt me. I just followed instructions. :(

I did the exact same thing, then put the 2 duplicate entries into the planned activities. The application itself says "we strongly recommend that you list activities in multiple sections if they meet the criteria for more than in more than one category"

So, pretty sure it's gonna be fine. But maybe they mean like, volunteering/shadowing. Maybe you did both at the same place, but shadowing is not volunteering so should have a separate amount of hours? Maybe that's what they meant by double dipping?

I did the exact same thing, then put the 2 duplicate entries into the planned activities. The application itself says "we strongly recommend that you list activities in multiple sections if they meet the criteria for more than in more than one category"

So, pretty sure it's gonna be fine. But maybe they mean like, volunteering/shadowing. Maybe you did both at the same place, but shadowing is not volunteering so should have a separate amount of hours? Maybe that's what they meant by double dipping?

Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, I can see why in the case you mentioned it would be good to split the hours. Thank you for helping a panicked soul :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, I can see why in the case you mentioned it would be good to split the hours. Thank you for helping a panicked soul :).
Haha I totally understand, it's gonna be a fun month of apps lol I was super worried about it at first too I don't want to blatantly pad hours but the site says it's ok! So I'm sticking to it haha

Hey guys I have a quick question I remember reading somewhere you were allowed to submit the application without having all your letters of rec in. If I am doing a school committee letter could I still submit my application without it? My committee would be able to give me the letter like June 7th and I don't want to wait that long to submit.
I'm in the same boat, my pre-health advisors pretty much said they're not even attempting to get them in before June. I am going to submit my app because the committee letter is to be uploaded by them- all of my individual recs have been submitted to the pre health advisors and she said she submits them all herself in a packet with the committee letter. So, I don't know how this will affect me? But I think if its committee it is okay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regarding having dependent children, my wife is due in August. Should I say that I have a dependent or no? Because by the time I'm interviewing(hopefully) I will.

I think people wrongly took what I meant by double dipping.
If you have healthcare related employment, then yes absolutely you would put that under employment. I am merely talking about community service activities where someone is involved in a premed organization that also does hospital volunteering - you should put that under ONE category, not both.

You want your application to be as concise as possible so that adcoms don't have a hard time deciphering between activities. Personally, if I was an employee in healthcare, I would put that under employment only. I wouldn't duplicate it for healthcare related activities section as well. Now this absolutely doesn't mean you can't talk about the importance of clinical exposure at your healthcare employment - but that should be weaved into your essays.

I'm in the same boat, my pre-health advisors pretty much said they're not even attempting to get them in before June. I am going to submit my app because the committee letter is to be uploaded by them- all of my individual recs have been submitted to the pre health advisors and she said she submits them all herself in a packet with the committee letter. So, I don't know how this will affect me? But I think if its committee it is okay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you can submit your primary application without letters, MCAT score, etc. TMDSAS will update and transmit your file onwards to schools once they've received and processed your letters, MCAT score, etc.

The reason why app submission is important and time sensitive is because TMDSAS staff goes through each course entry on your app and corresponds to the submitted transcript. As you can imagine, it takes them quite a while to process this and this is probably the part that slows down apps.

Is there a significant advantage to submitting your application on the beginning of May vs the end of May? I know both are considered early.

Processing time might get bumped from a couple days or so to maybe a week or more at end of May. But its stillsuper early.

LOR question here.

Are all letters we upload distributed to all schools we are applying to?

I ask because in addition to the two required letters, I was considering uploading my DO letter - but only if I could send it just to TCOM. It is not apparent if that is possible at this point while working on the application.

Thanks!

For @Cawolf (thanks to @Mavs88):
So, I didn't realize TMDSAS had a 3 letter limit if you go the individual route. Should I give preference to 2 science + 1 non-science professors? I have a LOR from a DO and work supervisor as well. I'm guessing all TMDSAS schools require the 2+1 prof scenario, though? Wondering if I should include the DO letter though, because of TCOM.

Edit: found that tcom says we can send that letter directly to them.

Thanks.

Maybe it's in the secondary information? I spent a fair amount of time figuring it out.

Thanks.

Maybe it's in the secondary information? I spent a fair amount of time figuring it out.

Called TCOM last month and they said when you fill out their secondary there is an option to upload your DO LOR if IIRC.

Hey guys, for SAT and ACT scores, what should you do if you took the tests multiple times? Thanks :)

Hey guys, for SAT and ACT scores, what should you do if you took the tests multiple times? Thanks :)

I'm not sure of the official answer, but I would just pick my best overall score and use that one. I don't think you should go so far as to use the highest subscores (verbal from test 1, math from test 2) though. That would seem unethical.

along the double dipping vein, if I was a leader of clubs, would I also include that in the leisure activities or no? clubs were things I did in my free time but not sure if this would be overkill. I only ask because there were of course years I was involved in the club when I was not the leader

along the double dipping vein, if I was a leader of clubs, would I also include that in the leisure activities or no? clubs were things I did in my free time but not sure if this would be overkill. I only ask because there were of course years I was involved in the club when I was not the leader

Yes that would be appropriate to place in both categories. Just make sure your dates are correct for when you took the leadership position

Possibly a stupid question: I worked full time during undergrad, often multiple jobs at a time. I'm entering my employment history on the app, and it says to repeat the entry for every year you had the job. Several jobs I had for three years straight. If I do it the way they ask I'm going to end up with almost 20 different entries for employment. Is it problematic to have this many entries in one section? Like I said, stupid question, but the employment section will literally span pages all on its own.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Possibly a stupid question: I worked full time during undergrad, often multiple jobs at a time. I'm entering my employment history on the app, and it says to repeat the entry for every year you had the job. Several jobs I had for three years straight. If I do it the way they ask I'm going to end up with almost 20 different entries for employment. Is it problematic to have this many entries in one section? Like I said, stupid question, but the employment section will literally span pages all on its own.

Thanks!

If your numbers are good enough for med school even though you worked full time, then Congratulations to you! That's a tall order. Will it stand out on your application due to the disproportionate size? Yes, without a doubt. Is that a bad thing? Heck No! It's a really good thing to be able to show how demanding a load you were able to balance, your independence and resilience. Especially if you're a bit light in the volunteering -- There are, after all, only 24 hours in the day...

If your numbers are good enough for med school even though you worked full time, then Congratulations to you! That's a tall order. Will it stand out on your application due to the disproportionate size? Yes, without a doubt. Is that a bad thing? Heck No! It's a really good thing to be able to show how demanding a load you were able to balance, your independence and resilience. Especially if you're a bit light in the volunteering -- There are, after all, only 24 hours in the day...

Not sure if my numbers are good enough, but here's to hoping! Thanks for your insight!!

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, but where did you read to repeat the entry for every year? For example, what I did was just put my 'start date X 2011, end date X 2013'. Are we not suppose to do it like this?

I have another question maybe someone can answer. If I've had one job since I was in high school do I list the start date the year in month I truly started or from when I graduated high school?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat, but where did you read to repeat the entry for every year? For example, what I did was just put my 'start date X 2011, end date X 2013'. Are we not suppose to do it like this?

I have another question maybe someone can answer. If I've had one job since I was in high school do I list the start date the year in month I truly started or from when I graduated high school?

Thanks in advance!

Under 'When did you hold this job' and you select Freshman, Sophomore, etc., there's a little line of text saying "Enter this job for each period of time you held it." I took that to mean that if I held the same job over multiple years, I should enter it multiple times and change Freshman to Sophomore, etc., each time. I could absolutely be wrong though.

Under 'When did you hold this job' and you select Freshman, Sophomore, etc., there's a little line of text saying "Enter this job for each period of time you held it." I took that to mean that if I held the same job over multiple years, I should enter it multiple times and change Freshman to Sophomore, etc., each time. I could absolutely be wrong though.
I didn't even see that, thank you! I'll send an email to TMDSAS and let you know what they say.

That would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I went ahead and called and you were correct. We have to put in the job each time we held it (freshman, sophomore, and etc.). Also each start and end date should be in line with that time, as well as hours worked per week.

I went ahead and called and you were correct. We have to put in the job each time we held it (freshman, sophomore, and etc.). Also each start and end date should be in line with that time, as well as hours worked per week.
You are a top lad. Thanks for the clarification!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the helpful tips thus far! Here's a new situation:

I entered in all my information and sent in all my transcripts for the 2014-2015 cycle; eventually did not press "submit." Do I have to resend transcripts (that have been stagnant, unchanged) for this cycle as well?

Thanks in advance!

One more question I have for experienced Interfolio users: I've been told for AMCAS you don't need to have the AMCAS ID on your letter if sent through Interfolio. On the TMDSAS instructions it states that you do. Should I ask recommenders to write both my AMCAS and TMDSAS ids on the letter, since they are only uploading one and I'm sending it to both application services?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

One more question I have for experienced Interfolio users: I've been told for AMCAS you don't need to have the AMCAS ID on your letter if sent through Interfolio. On the TMDSAS instructions it states that you do. Should I ask recommenders to write both my AMCAS and TMDSAS ids on the letter, since they are only uploading one and I'm sending it to both application services?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Interfolio allows you to attach an ID to each delivery. When you are ready to send your TMDSAS letters, set up a delivery and include all of the TMDSAS letters, then add the TMDSAS ID to those letters through Interfolio. Then, when you want to send your AMCAS letters, set up a separate delivery and include all of the AMCAS letters, and add the AMCAS ID to that delivery. ID numbers can be added in the "My Account" section on Interfolio.

Interfolio allows you to attach an ID to each delivery. When you are ready to send your TMDSAS letters, set up a delivery and include all of the TMDSAS letters, then add the TMDSAS ID to those letters through Interfolio. Then, when you want to send your AMCAS letters, set up a separate delivery and include all of the AMCAS letters, and add the AMCAS ID to that delivery. ID numbers can be added in the "My Account" section on Interfolio.

You are absolutely awesome. Thank you so much!

Application.... SUBMITTED!

Good luck Y'all.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I've read through most of the TMDSAS threads, and I still can't find a suitable answer for my question.
I got an MIC two years ago in my freshman year, and I completed the whole deferred disposition thing, so the conviction should be dismissed. But I still don't know if I need to report that to TDMSAS. Would my case count as the exception "you were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped," in which case, I wouldn't need to report it? I've been getting mixed answers here and there...so I was hoping you all would know something!

Also, I ran a background criminal check on myself yesterday through the Texas DPS website, and nothing came up, so I'm not sure where my case even is!

Hey guys quick question. For planned activities, do I just copy paste the same description for the ongoing activities listed in other sections?

Thank you

Is it okay to skip applying to TCOM? I'm IS with a LizzyM ~71, and solid extracurriculars (I think). I'm sure it's a good school, but I'm not interested in attending. My plan is to apply to every other Texas school.

On the other side of that coin, is it even worth my money (~$260) to apply to Baylor College of Medicine on AMCAS?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Is it okay to skip applying to TCOM? I'm IS with a 32 MCAT (10,9,13), GPA between 3.8-3.9 (BCPM is about 3.8, cumulative is about 3.89), and solid extracurriculars (I think). I'm sure it's a good school, but I'm not interested in attending. My plan is to apply to every other Texas school.

On the other side of that coin, is it even worth my money (~$260) to apply to Baylor College of Medicine on AMCAS?

Thank you for your help!

With your numbers and (taking your word for it) good ECs, I'd say yes, it's OK for you to skip TCOM. Baylor's a bit of a long shot. How good are your ECs and what's $260 and 5-6 hours worth to you? That is, assuming Baylor's the only AMCAS school you're applying to -- An applicant with your numbers, solid ECs and no red flags is exactly the type of applicant best served by the "apply in state only -- you're covered" philosophy.

And good luck this application cycle --

Revised:

Based on the (below) anecdote regarding the UTH dean's purported view of students who do not apply to ALL the TX schools and having seen some evidence supporting this viewpoint (students who did not apply to TCOM and seemingly should have received ii's at UTH but did not) -- I retract my statement above.

DO apply to all TX schools, including TCOM. You can fail to complete secondaries or turn down ii's if you choose, but it appears like there might be a penalty for lack of humility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.