*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've read through most of the TMDSAS threads, and I still can't find a suitable answer for my question.
I got an MIC two years ago in my freshman year, and I completed the whole deferred disposition thing, so the conviction should be dismissed. But I still don't know if I need to report that to TDMSAS. Would my case count as the exception "you were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped," in which case, I wouldn't need to report it? I've been getting mixed answers here and there...so I was hoping you all would know something!

Also, I ran a background criminal check on myself yesterday through the Texas DPS website, and nothing came up, so I'm not sure where my case even is!

MIC?

Anyways.
You need NOT disclose information about any of the following:
* you were arrested but not charged
* you were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped
* you were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury
* you were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, but the conviction was overturned on appeal
* you received an executive pardon
* a juvenile or criminal record that has been sealed or expunged. Failure to disclose information that is not in fact expunged or sealed may result in the applicant being denied admission
* minor traffic violations

If you don't fit into any of those then id say list it. You could lie and pretend it never happened but if they find out it will be a whole lot worse than having listed it.
Plus their background checks are more thorough.

Members don't see this ad.

MIC?

Anyways.
You need NOT disclose information about any of the following:
* you were arrested but not charged
* you were arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped
* you were arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury
* you were arrested and found guilty by a judge or jury, but the conviction was overturned on appeal
* you received an executive pardon
* a juvenile or criminal record that has been sealed or expunged. Failure to disclose information that is not in fact expunged or sealed may result in the applicant being denied admission
* minor traffic violations

If you don't fit into any of those then id say list it. You could lie and pretend it never happened but if they find out it will be a whole lot worse than having listed it.
Plus their background checks are more thorough.
Yeah I've read through the manual about a million times, but I just don't know if "deferred disposition" qualifies as either "arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped" or "arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury". Basically, from what I understand, the citation will show up on my record, but no conviction will show up...it'll just say "deferred disposition". But does that equate being "not guilty" or "having charges dropped"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I've read through the manual about a million times, but I just don't know if "deferred disposition" qualifies as either "arrested and charged, but the charges were dropped" or "arrested and charged, but found not guilty by a judge or jury". Basically, from what I understand, the citation will show up on my record, but no conviction will show up...it'll just say "deferred disposition". But does that equate being "not guilty" or "having charges dropped"?

Was it reported to your university?

I had a friend who got a minor in possession (what its called where i went to school) and didnt report it on his AMCAS application.
His university reported it and he got blacklisted.

He was a 3.8 and 36 MCAT. Couldn't get into a single US school ended up going to Bahamas.

Was told had he reported it, they would have understood he was an 18 year old that did something dumb.

'Deferred Disposition' is a very grey area legally. Yeah, the charges went away. But traces of them will remain unless you get them expunged (Did you do that? - It's not automatic) after which there still may be traces, though you can legally answer "No" to most questions of that type.

However --

The legal problem is very minor. Under-age drinking / possession is very common and generally barely even a black mark. No one cares -- But what they DO care about is dishonesty and a lack of full disclosure. Admit to the charge. State what you learned and that you've been out of trouble since. And also state that the charges were dismissed, but that in the interests of full-disclosure, you felt it prudent to mention them. Then seek a legal expungement and once that has been done, run a Certifi (brand) background check to see if they show up.

Hey y'all - I tried to search the forums but I couldn't really find anything on this, so if it has been answered, my apologies!

Do Texas medical schools prefer a specific LOR for that third "extra" LOR if you choose to submit it? My first two required LORs were two science professors from my graduate SMP that I just completed. I have the option of including a strong non-science rec or an MD letter. Thoughts?

would being a TA or instructing a class be considered a leadership position??

Hate to bring this up again...but about that darn picture.

Should it be waist up, full body, or like chest and up? Thanks!

I don't think there's a particular requirement, so it doesn't have to be full body. I had a picture of me from the chest up in business casual clothes. Just make sure its appropriate and professional

Reactions: 1 user
would being a TA or instructing a class be considered a leadership position??

In my opinion being a TA/instructor is not something to put under the leadership activities. It's definitely valuable with having the responsibility over the instruction of students, practicing teaching and communicating complex ideas to people (much like the role of the physician), being a mentor for students, so you can sell it from that angle in essays. But leadership is more being in a position of leading your peers, versus as a TA/instructor you have an authoritative position over students "below" you. Was it paid? Because it might be more appropriate under employment.

Hey y'all - I tried to search the forums but I couldn't really find anything on this, so if it has been answered, my apologies!

Do Texas medical schools prefer a specific LOR for that third "extra" LOR if you choose to submit it? My first two required LORs were two science professors from my graduate SMP that I just completed. I have the option of including a strong non-science rec or an MD letter. Thoughts?

I have heard mixed things about MD letters. I think a strong non-science letter would be a good choice since it would hold more weight.

Is it okay to skip applying to TCOM? I'm IS with a 32 MCAT (10,9,13), GPA between 3.8-3.9 (BCPM is about 3.8, cumulative is about 3.89), and solid extracurriculars (I think). I'm sure it's a good school, but I'm not interested in attending. My plan is to apply to every other Texas school.

On the other side of that coin, is it even worth my money (~$260) to apply to Baylor College of Medicine on AMCAS?

Thank you for your help!
I would check off TCOM on my application if I were you and here's why?
One of my friends got rejected from EY12 application for the sole reason that she left out TCOM. At a reapplicant workshop, the adcom dean at UT Houston mentioned that it is a red flag when someone does not apply to all TX schools. The next cycle, she applied to all schools and was admitted to EY13 class.

Now this is an anecdote. And I know it sounds ludicrous as a possible reason for app rejection but when you're in such a competitive process, you really should be better safe than sorry. You can elect later on to not complete the TCOM secondary and withdraw your profile individually but at least initially, apply to all TX schools. I think all TX med schools are looking for people who are open minded and considerate of all circumstances.

I'm applying with the same MCAT 32 (13 PS 9 VR 11 BS) though its a retake from 26 and my sGPA & cGPA is 3.9 approximately. I think it is worth to pursue Baylor. Even though our scores are like in the 10th percentile for Baylor, someone has to make up the 10th percentile and it might be you lol. So definitely consider sending an app to BCM.

I wish you all the best with the upcoming cycle. I am still in the process of getting my LORs, committee packet ready and hopefully this process would be completed by early to mid June.

Best,

Reactions: 1 users

I would go with chest up - the sort of picture you would see on your ID badge, etc.
And make sure it is professional.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion being a TA/instructor is not something to put under the leadership activities. It's definitely valuable with having the responsibility over the instruction of students, practicing teaching and communicating complex ideas to people (much like the role of the physician), being a mentor for students, so you can sell it from that angle in essays. But leadership is more being in a position of leading your peers, versus as a TA/instructor you have an authoritative position over students "below" you. Was it paid? Because it might be more appropriate under employment.

TAs are not just responsible for their individual teaching sessions but they also have to participate in professionalism and curriculum workshops. I think its definitely leadership worthy because you are seen as an individual capable of showing maturity and handling responsibility. The delegation of tasks may not be similar to that of a president of an organization, but being a TA definitely shows leadership characteristics. However, if you were an employee, then I would put that under the Employment section.

It was not paid. it was more so for credit. also i am an instructor in a cpr/first aid in a volunteer organization as well but that isn't paid either...i guess i would just put the instructor position under volunteer??

I have heard mixed things about MD letters. I think a strong non-science letter would be a good choice since it would hold more weight.
You are right.
Unless you work with an MD for a significant period of time (i.e. 6 months 20-30 hrs / week) that person is probably not going to be a strong letter writer. Strength of LORs is critical when committee is analyzing post-interview scores when making decisions about acceptances. I would agree that the non-science would be a better, stronger option for you than an M.D. (unless you know them for a long period of time).

It was not paid. it was more so for credit. also i am an instructor in a cpr/first aid in a volunteer organization as well but that isn't paid either...i guess i would just put the instructor position under volunteer??
Yeah I suppose you can include that under volunteer section. And you can also create a separate category under Leadership to mention the leadership aspect of your CPR/First Aid instruction.

I'm a nurse and I have precepted a few new grad nurses throughout their orientation....should I put this under leadership?

Also, as a non-trad I find it silly for a professor I had 5 years ago for maybe 1 or 2 semesters write me a LOR. I have one coming from a former psych professor/PI and am wanting to have my supervisor and nurse educator write one but I just wanted to know if this is acceptable.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
I'm a nurse and I have precepted a few new grad nurses throughout their orientation....should I put this under leadership?

Also, as a non-trad I find it silly for a professor I had 5 years ago for maybe 1 or 2 semesters write me a LOR. I have one coming from a former psych professor/PI and am wanting to have my supervisor and nurse educator write one but I just wanted to know if this is acceptable.

Thanks in advance! :)
Hey kinipela,

Definitely include your nursing preceptorship experience under Leadership.
You definitely want at least one science professor who can speak to your ability in the sciences. The supervisor, former psych professor and nurse educator sound good to me as well. I would advise you to take advantage of a committee review so you can submit all 4 LORs, otherwise remember TMDSAS accepts max of 3 LORs when sent individually.

What qualifies as leadership can be a tricky thing. I think LizzyM put it in a good way when talking about being a TA

I would not consider it leadership and I've not heard my fellow adcom members point to TA'ing as a something that demonstrates leadership. They do point to it as evidence of teaching experience which can be more important than leadership. A TA is not a peer and not someone who has the same goal as the student... the TA has taken the course and doesn't have the same goal as the students in the section.

What I put in bold here is key. For example, being a preceptor for new nurses on the wards, you are a nurse teaching and working with fellow nurses to provide care for others- I think that would be considered leadership. Being a TA, not so much.

You are right.
Unless you work with an MD for a significant period of time (i.e. 6 months 20-30 hrs / week) that person is probably not going to be a strong letter writer. Strength of LORs is critical when committee is analyzing post-interview scores when making decisions about acceptances. I would agree that the non-science would be a better, stronger option for you than an M.D. (unless you know them for a long period of time).

Thanks for the input! I also forgot to mention I will also have (most likely - professor said yes but won't be meeting him till the end of the week) a third science recommendation from a professor who's taught me. Now would you suggest a third science or a non-science to change it up? I don't know if this is relevant, but I was a Public Health and Spanish major as an undergraduate (B.S./B.A.).

Hey kinipela,

Definitely include your nursing preceptorship experience under Leadership.
You definitely want at least one science professor who can speak to your ability in the sciences. The supervisor, former psych professor and nurse educator sound good to me as well. I would advise you to take advantage of a committee review so you can submit all 4 LORs, otherwise remember TMDSAS accepts max of 3 LORs when sent individually.

What qualifies as leadership can be a tricky thing. I think LizzyM put it in a good way when talking about being a TA

What I put in bold here is key. For example, being a preceptor for new nurses on the wards, you are a nurse teaching and working with fellow nurses to provide care for others- I think that would be considered leadership. Being a TA, not so much.

Thank you SOO much!!!

Thanks for the input! I also forgot to mention I will also have (most likely - professor said yes but won't be meeting him till the end of the week) a third science recommendation from a professor who's taught me. Now would you suggest a third science or a non-science to change it up? I don't know if this is relevant, but I was a Public Health and Spanish major as an undergraduate (B.S./B.A.).

Having a non-science professor would be better because they could give a different perspective of you versus a professor in the hard sciences. Especially if you think this would be a strong letter.

TMDSAS school-specific threads are up in the new 2015-2016 school-specific discussion sub-forum

Reactions: 2 users
One of my friends got rejected from EY12 application for the sole reason that she left out TCOM. At a reapplicant workshop, the adcom dean at UT Houston mentioned that it is a red flag when someone does not apply to all TX schools. The next cycle, she applied to all schools and was admitted to EY13 class.

Wow, that's crazy but I believe it. I've also heard of someone who only applied to schools in the Houston area (b/c of her family) and was rejected from every school without any II. She was later told by adcoms that it looked over-confident to only apply to 3 schools and that's why she was rejected. She re-applied to every TX school the next cycle and got in without a problem.

Thank you for the advice texan2414 and DokterMom! I'll add BCM and TCOM to my list.

TAs are not just responsible for their individual teaching sessions but they also have to participate in professionalism and curriculum workshops. I think its definitely leadership worthy because you are seen as an individual capable of showing maturity and handling responsibility. The delegation of tasks may not be similar to that of a president of an organization, but being a TA definitely shows leadership characteristics. However, if you were an employee, then I would put that under the Employment section.

I'd suggest you put TAing in whichever category is otherwise weakest. It's the kind of flexible work that can be 'spinned' in several different directions.

Wow, that's crazy but I believe it. I've also heard of someone who only applied to schools in the Houston area (b/c of her family) and was rejected from every school without any II. She was later told by adcoms that it looked over-confident to only apply to 3 schools and that's why she was rejected. She re-applied to every TX school the next cycle and got in without a problem.

Thank you for the advice texan2414 and DokterMom! I'll add BCM and TCOM to my list.

@texan2414 - That explains it! I've seen several students who, due to their generally excellent credentials, did not apply to all the TX schools. And while they received many ii's, they got no interest at all from Houston.

I have a course that is 0 units for an internship where the grade is blank.

The application does not allow 0 unit courses or blank grades though. AMCAS has the "exempt" box, how do you enter this on TMDSAS?

Thanks.

I have a course that is 0 units for an internship where the grade is blank.

The application does not allow 0 unit courses or blank grades though. AMCAS has the "exempt" box, how do you enter this on TMDSAS?

Thanks.

You could set the course type as audit.

From the handbook: "Audit: any course you attended without attempting to earn credit. These courses will not be included in your TMDSAS GPA."

That's what I was thinking, but it won't let me submit it with 0 units or no grade selected.

Quick call to TMDSAS, very friendly by the way, told me that 0 unit courses should not be entered at all.

Hey all,

I have a GPA related question. I am a nontrad student with extremely low GPA. According to TMDSAS data only 300 or so applicants applied with a GPA of 3.0 or lower and only 11 of those matriculated. Is this a case of all Texas medical schools having a GPA cutoff?

Also, how are grad school GPAs viewed?

I'm a little worried about the advice of leaving out a "W" grade. According to TMDSAS, " If you withdrew from a course, list the number of hours you would have earned had you completed the course." I have a couple of Ws, but the grade of "W" is not available. Can anyone clarify this?

-Thank you!

I'm a little worried about the advice of leaving out a "W" grade. According to TMDSAS, " If you withdrew from a course, list the number of hours you would have earned had you completed the course." I have a couple of Ws, but the grade of "W" is not available. Can anyone clarify this?

-Thank you!

Withdrew is definitely a grade choice.

Scroll down in the grade input menu.

Withdrew is definitely a grade choice.

Scroll down in the grade input menu.

Hell, I can't believe I wasn't scrolling down enough hahahaha. Thank you.

'Deferred Disposition' is a very grey area legally. Yeah, the charges went away. But traces of them will remain unless you get them expunged (Did you do that? - It's not automatic) after which there still may be traces, though you can legally answer "No" to most questions of that type.

However --

The legal problem is very minor. Under-age drinking / possession is very common and generally barely even a black mark. No one cares -- But what they DO care about is dishonesty and a lack of full disclosure. Admit to the charge. State what you learned and that you've been out of trouble since. And also state that the charges were dismissed, but that in the interests of full-disclosure, you felt it prudent to mention them. Then seek a legal expungement and once that has been done, run a Certifi (brand) background check to see if they show up.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I realized after talking to a few people that it would be in my best interest to just report it...

FYI - a science thesis, research lab, and TAing a science course should be in Other Science.

Also, a two-semester course, like a thesis, should be entered with the total earned credits split in half. My course had 0 credits earned in the first semester and 8 in the second, so I entered in 4 for each semester with the same grade each time. If you're still in school, enter in NY.

For the new MCAT, anyone hear anything about what a safe/good score is for TX schools? I've heard 500-512, and I want to have a better idea of what to aim for, esp. for TX schools.

For the new MCAT, anyone hear anything about what a safe/good score is for TX schools? I've heard 500-512, and I want to have a better idea of what to aim for, esp. for TX schools.

No one knows exactly what score is "good" yet because these's no data to link examine's percentile and the new MCAT scaled score.

All that matters is percentile. The average MCAT for students accepted to most Texas schools is a 31-32 (31 at TAMU, 32 at UTMB, UTH, San Antonio, TT Lubbock) according to the MSAR. Basically in the 80th percentile. A 500 is supposed to be the median score, the 50th percentile (24-25 on the old MCAT), so that definitely wouldn't be considered a "good" score. Based on AAMC's estimated percentile table, the 80th percentile will likely correspond to a 506 or 507. For UTSW or Baylor, the average MCAT is a 35-36, or the 5th to 3rd percentile score, which corresponds to >514 on the new MCAT according to that table.

You wanna aim for 505 or better. Heard this number verbally from Dr. Rabek, the admissions dean at UTMB.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you both! Two top priorities are now upping my score and essays. I hope they won't hold too much weight on the new test though. My gpa was high so hopefully it'll even out with a potentially low score, like a 502-503.

Hey guys/gals, does anybody know how to adjust the file size of an .jpg image to fit the TMDSAS 100KB? I don't want the quality to be severely affected, but my file size is too big.

Hey guys/gals, does anybody know how to adjust the file size of an .jpg image to fit the TMDSAS 100KB? I don't want the quality to be severely affected, but my file size is too big.

Upload to facebook. Save.

Anyone have any upates on Dell and RG schools?

On the TMDSAS application under 'non-TMDSAS schools I will apply to' those two schools are there. Dell just won their state approval for their curriculum program, so information on them should be coming out pretty quickly I assume. As for UTRGV, theirs will probably take a little while longer - and yes it will be an M.D. school as well.

On the TMDSAS application under 'non-TMDSAS schools I will apply to' those two schools are there. Dell just won their state approval for their curriculum program, so information on them should be coming out pretty quickly I assume. As for UTRGV, theirs will probably take a little while longer - and yes it will be an M.D. school as well.

Woaaaaaah, hold up. I thought TMDSAS was going to email us when those two schools were approved and we could add it to the TMDSAS application at that time (pg 5 in 2016 TMDSAS manual). So...are they non-TMDSAS or TMDSAS schools?!

Edit: Re-read my response and I am not necessarily asking @hornstudent to reply. Didn't want to make it seem that way, so therefore the edit :)

Maybe someone can answer this question for me. One of my letter writers falls into many of the categories that you're able to pick (former professor, academic advisor, laboratory supervisor, and etc.). Does it matter which category I pick? I just placed them as 'current or former professor'.

Woaaaaaah, hold up. I thought TMDSAS was going to email us when those two schools were approved and we could add it to the TMDSAS application at that time (pg 5 in 2016 TMDSAS manual). So...are they non-TMDSAS or TMDSAS schools?!
You are correct! They will both be on TMDSAS. :)

Hey guys! I have a couple of questions on filling out coursework and calculating GPA for TMDSAS:

1. When choosing "Academic Status" for the classes, do I put what status I was at the time before the class was taken? So, for example: I have 7 hours from summer semester 2012, 18 hours claimed by credit in fall semester 2012, and then 16 hours taken in regular classes fall semester 2012. In this situation, would I classify the summer semester hours as "freshman", the 18 hours claimed by credit as "pre-freshman", and all of the 16 hours taken in regular classes as "freshman"? Then, I assume the following spring semester 2013 hours will be classified as "sophomore".

2. Do I just call TMDSAS if I'm not sure if a certain class should be factored into the BCPM gpa?

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.