*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone can answer this! For EC's that you don't do on a regular basis (like a couple of times a semester), how are y'all answering hours/week?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about the chronology. It's showing my entire highschool (I homeschooled), on the activities list and it goes all the way back to 2005! Is this normal, or can I just delete highschool from the chronology? I thought they didn't care about anything prior to starting college anyway...

My chronology had a single date entry for when I graduated HS.

I imagine the schools want a reference point for what you have done since HS and if there were any gaps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My chronology had a single date entry for when I graduated HS.

I imagine the schools want a reference point for what you have done since HS and if there were any gaps.
My case is not standard though. I graduated high school early due to having home schooled and did not immediately enter college. The handbook said any gap of 3 months MUST be filled, but the problem is that there is a 5 month gap, my high school graduation date, and then a about a year of which I just worked a fast food job before starting college (didn't want to be a doctor at that point in time). I have filled in the post high school graduation gap, but not the pre high school graduation gap. It just looks strange.

My case is not standard though. I graduated high school early due to having home schooled and did not immediately enter college. The handbook said any gap of 3 months MUST be filled, but the problem is that there is a 5 month gap, my high school graduation date, and then a about a year of which I just worked a fast food job before starting college (didn't want to be a doctor at that point in time). I have filled in the post high school graduation gap, but not the pre high school graduation gap. It just looks strange.

You should only have to fill the time from your HS graduation date.

Your post is a little hard to follow.

You should only have to fill the time from your HS graduation date.

Your post is a little hard to follow.
Let me try to clarify. On the chronological calender the entire year containing my high school graduation date is listed with a block filled out that is the month of my high school graduation. However, I did not immediately enter college the subsequent fall. Instead, I got a job and waited a year (because I was very young upon completing highschool), which lead to a gap until the following fall in which I started college. I've filled up the gaps of time AFTER I graduated, but I'm just wondering about the gaps of time BEFORE my graduation date. Given that the handbook says any block of three months MUST be accounted for, I'm a bit concerned about why the 5 month gap leading up to my high school graduation month is showing up.

Did you not list your job?

If you starting working after high school, until college, then that would fill the time.

Did you not list your job?

If you starting working after high school, until college, then that would fill the time.
I just realized I need to add that job to my employment as well! Crap! hahaha I did list it in the chronology section because it belongs in that gap, but I assumed because I wasn't in college, it didnt' matter.

Also, I have a couple of hobbies that I've been doing for YEARS, so I adjusted the start date only in the chronology to fill that gap as well. I feel like these applications are a test of how detailed you can follow instructions haha.

I just realized I need to add that job to my employment as well! Crap! hahaha I did list it in the chronology section because it belongs in that gap, but I assumed because I wasn't in college, it didnt' matter.

Also, I have a couple of hobbies that I've been doing for YEARS, so I adjusted the start date only in the chronology to fill that gap as well. I feel like these applications are a test of how detailed you can follow instructions haha.

That was where my confusion began. I assumed you listed the job because you had mentioned it.

Even though it was not in college, it is definitely important to list.

It seems like you have it worked out - good.

That was where my confusion began. I assumed you listed the job because you had mentioned it.

Even though it was not in college, it is definitely important to list.

It seems like you have it worked out - good.
I definitely worked it out. I was reviewing and editing stuff for hours by the time I got to chronology and my brain was fried haha. I really appreciate your help!

Does anyone know if any of the TMDSAS schools specifically need a non-science prof letter? Mine turned out not to be on a letterhead :dead: so they told me I have to get the prof to fix it. If it's not required, I'd rather send another of my letters anyway.

Hey
Does anyone know if/how were supposed to put in AP credits? I'm stuck between shifting back the years for college back till like 2010 (when I took the AP class) but then that just looks like i've been in college forever. Or I could also stick all the AP credits in my freshman year and label it as pre-freshman. The second option looks better but IDK which one we're actually supposed to do...

The answer depends on where it is on your transcript for college credit?

You enter it that semester, with that class standing.

For most people this will be in their freshman year, so label it freshman. They will know an AP class was not taken in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer depends on where it is on your transcript for college credit?

You enter it that semester, with that class standing.

For most people this will be in their freshman year, so label it freshman. They will know an AP class was not taken in college.

My college put them as 2010 maymester, 2011 summer 1 and 2012 summer 1 so I think that's what threw me off.

I would just enter them exactly where they appear in your transcripts.

If they appear multiple times, do not repeat them.

Umm...how bad is it to list hospital experience/ healthcare activities from before college?? I know there is the unspoken rule of not listing high school experiences but I had A LOT of them and not that much during college. The way I see it, my shadowing portion would look super blank with only the experiences from college but if I add my high school stuff it may be like "oh this was a while ago but wow look at all those hours!) lol IDK am I just shooting myself in the foot by leaving them there...?:shrug:

Umm...how bad is it to list hospital experience/ healthcare activities from before college?? I know there is the unspoken rule of not listing high school experiences but I had A LOT of them and not that much during college. The way I see it, my shadowing portion would look super blank with only the experiences from college but if I add my high school stuff it may be like "oh this was a while ago but wow look at all those hours!) lol IDK am I just shooting myself in the foot by leaving them there...?:shrug:
I would contact TMDSAS. However, I'm pretty sure they are going to tell you to not list it if it wasn't done after your high school graduation date. Anything done while in high school carries little to no importance in the admission process.

Although, if you started your hospital experience in high school and continued it after you had graduated, I'd list it!

Hello all! I am currently filling out TMDSAS and I am having some struggle with deciding my approach to the "unique circumstances" optional essay. I am what you could call a "comeback" applicant with a strong post-baccalaureate performance (I have no good excuse other than immaturity in undergrad). In the instruction manual it says "this area is provided to address any issues which have not previously been addressed." Would it be appropriate to address my poor grades here or should I truly address something unique about me and sell myself? I appreciate any feedback!

@cherubb3

I have a similar situation and used the optional essay to address my low GPA.

Sorry if this has already been asked but which schools contact us with the secondary and which do we just do on our own?

UTSW, TCOM, and A&M you can do it right away.

TTHSC and TTHSC - El Paso will email you.

UTH, UTMB, and UTSA have no secondaries.

Thanks! Do we think the new ones will have secondaries?

No idea!

The UTs are hit or miss and I couldn't find any information.

Hey everyone! I was wondering how everyone filled out the hours per month, and total cumulative hours for extracurricular and leisure activities (specifically leisure). I have no idea the number of hours I spend a month doing my leisure activities, as I do them whenever I have time.

Hey everyone! I was wondering how everyone filled out the hours per month, and total cumulative hours for extracurricular and leisure activities (specifically leisure). I have no idea the number of hours I spend a month doing my leisure activities, as I do them whenever I have time.

Guess-timate it

Reactions: 1 users
So my app was transmitted this morning and the reclassified all of my neuroscience classes as other science even though neuroscience is under biology. This dropped my science GPA .12 points. Is this worth appealing? It went from an upper 3.6 to a mid 3.5.

Quick two questions:

1) How long does it take for TMDSAS to process LOR's once sent from Interfolio?

2)For the schools that you can send secondary as soon as you submit TMDSAS, does that mean once you are verified or as soon as you pay and you get the email from TMDSAS?

thanks once again!

Quick two questions:

2)For the schools that you can send secondary as soon as you submit TMDSAS, does that mean once you are verified or as soon as you pay and you get the email from TMDSAS?

thanks once again!

I sent a letter from interfolio last night around 1 am and it was received/approved today.

Quick two questions:

thanks once again!

Forgot to say this... Make sure it has the professional letterhead, a hand written signature, and you include your TMDSAS ID number. Interfolio gives you the option to add the TMDSAS ID before you send it, just look carefully.

You can hop in and do the secondaries before you submit if you wish, so I guess as soon as you get the email.

All you need is your TMDSAS ID number.

To get the secondaries from TTUHSC and TT - El Paso you need to submit and wait for access.

So I am applying from out of state, with no ties to Texas other than the fact that I really love Texas (or at least Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio). As a result I know my chances are very low.

Regardless, I have 3 questions:

1. I've read on here that it is best to apply to all of the Texas schools, even the DO school. Is this also true for out-of-state applicants? If it is, can I just not fill out the secondaries for schools I know I can't go to? (my husband will not move anywhere that isn't a big city)

2. For letters of recommendation, is it OK if the writer "signs" by drawing a signature on word/interfolio/wherever you can draw a signature? Or does it have to be printed, hand signed, then scanned?

3. Can I use the optional essay to explain why I want to move to Texas?

Thanks in advance!

Hey so I have an annoying/neurotic question but I can't help myself!

I sent a transcript 2 weeks ago, went in person and they said they were sending out that day. This is in TX. TMDSAS hasn't updated to say received yet.
I called the school today and they said transcripts had been sent out that day although the guy on the phone wasn't the most helpful. It has been 2 weeks though and mail isn't that slow lol
My question is, would it be super obnoxious to call TMDSAS and see if they know anything? I can send the transcript again and am planning to tmrw, but I am also worried that sending it again would mess up processing if they already do have the transcript? Like they would have to reprocess the whole thing? I don't know. Anyone else have a similar issue? Is it normal for them to take so long? The other one I had sent the same day was received last week and it was coming from OOS.....

Hey so I have an annoying/neurotic question but I can't help myself!

I sent a transcript 2 weeks ago, went in person and they said they were sending out that day. This is in TX. TMDSAS hasn't updated to say received yet.
I called the school today and they said transcripts had been sent out that day although the guy on the phone wasn't the most helpful. It has been 2 weeks though and mail isn't that slow lol
My question is, would it be super obnoxious to call TMDSAS and see if they know anything? I can send the transcript again and am planning to tmrw, but I am also worried that sending it again would mess up processing if they already do have the transcript? Like they would have to reprocess the whole thing? I don't know. Anyone else have a similar issue? Is it normal for them to take so long? The other one I had sent the same day was received last week and it was coming from OOS.....

I'm having the exact same experience. One of my transcripts was marked received about three days after the school mailed it, but the other was mailed over 14 days ago and its still not marked in TMDSAS so you're definitely not alone. I was just assuming they're just backlogged.

Also having the transcript backlog with my last one.

They do have an update yesterday saying:

"05.19.2015: Current processing times:
Applications: currently processing applications submitted on 5/17/2015
Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on 5/15/2015
Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOE's received on 5/19/2015"

I
I'm having the exact same experience. One of my transcripts was marked received about three days after the school mailed it, but the other was mailed over 14 days ago and its still not marked in TMDSAS so you're definitely not alone. I was just assuming they're just backlogged.

will we just wait patiently then lol? I'm just worried they won't get it and then it'll take another 10 days to receive it and I'll have submitted everything else early for nothing!!

Also having the transcript backlog with my last one.

They do have an update yesterday saying:

"05.19.2015: Current processing times:
Applications: currently processing applications submitted on 5/17/2015
Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on 5/15/2015
Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOE's received on 5/19/2015"

I

will we just wait patiently then lol? I'm just worried they won't get it and then it'll take another 10 days to receive it and I'll have submitted everything else early for nothing!!

I'll probably just wait til Thursday, and if it's not marked received by then give them a call on Friday to see if I can figure out what's up before the long weekend. If they're only three days behind as indicated by Cawolf's post then I'm definitely confused, as they should have received my transcript well before the 17th, but who knows what the issue may be.

Once again I seem to have a question I hope you guys can answer...

I sent 3 letters to TMDSAS (Two science and one doctor I worked with for about a year). I got the confirmation that my two science letters have been received, however my doctor letter was not received because it's not on official letterhead. How does a doctor post a letter on official letterhead???? I know the third letter isn't required, but I really wish I could use it.

Is it possible for me to send the doctor letter via Interfolio to the specific schools individually?

I'll probably just wait til Thursday, and if it's not marked received by then give them a call on Friday to see if I can figure out what's up before the long weekend. If they're only three days behind as indicated by Cawolf's post then I'm definitely confused, as they should have received my transcript well before the 17th, but who knows what the issue may be.
yeah that is my thought That they should have gotten it before the 17th? Oh well I guess! It'll all be ok haha let me know if you ever have an update on yours and I'll do the same!

yeah that is my thought That they should have gotten it before the 17th? Oh well I guess! It'll all be ok haha let me know if you ever have an update on yours and I'll do the same!
Yeah, I'll update you if I figure anything out for sure. Good luck!

How does a doctor post a letter on official letterhead????

His or her practice surely provides them with one.

All of their official correspondence is likely on paper with a letterhead.

I received El Paso and TCOM secondaries today, my app was transmitted Monday.

His or her practice surely provides them with one.

All of their official correspondence is likely on paper with a letterhead.
I went ahead and emailed the dr, thanks.

TMDSAS says they transmitted to schools today for me...but they don't have two of my transcripts yet? lol

@Mavs88

They state they transmit first and verify as your materials are processed.

It was nice because I already was able to complete the five TX secondaries and I am still waiting on my final transcript to arrive at TMDSAS.

@Mavs88

They state they transmit first and verify as your materials are processed.

It was nice because I already was able to complete the five TX secondaries and I am still waiting on my final transcript to arrive at TMDSAS.
Ah, that clarifies it! And that is pretty great :D

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'll update you if I figure anything out for sure. Good luck!
Haha well that was quick and makes me feel very dumb but mine got transmitted today and received my TMDSAS so hopefully yours will be today too!

Haha well that was quick and makes me feel very dumb but mine got transmitted today and received my TMDSAS so hopefully yours will be today too!
Hahaha yep mine too. Here's to worrying about absolutely nothing!

I was curious about the status.

I am submitted and have 4/5 of my transcripts in - my status reads "Transmitted to Schools".

Is there a further "Verified" status after all documents are received?

Also, is there any way to note what changes were made during verification? My GPA changed slightly from when I submitted to after a transcript was entered and I was curious.

Thanks!

I was curious about the status.

I am submitted and have 4/5 of my transcripts in - my status reads "Transmitted to Schools".

Is there a further "Verified" status after all documents are received?

There's no further status (unless I also have not received it yet, but I don't think that's the case). "Transmitted to Schools" is my status, as well, and I've confirmed receipt with (some) individual schools. Looks like you're good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.