*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@SweetCaroline7

Awesome, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@SweetCaroline7 is right theres not further status; however, I think if you're invited for interview the status might change.

In TMDSAS?

I guess that makes sense because of matching. Does not apply to me though, applying from OOS - the odds are not in my favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question:
I got an email from TMDSAS stating my application was transmitted to schools and my status as been changed to Transmitted to schools. However my Transcript still says not received, I had sent my official transcripts from my school a while back though. Is there some sort of delay or something?

Question:
I got an email from TMDSAS stating my application was transmitted to schools and my status as been changed to Transmitted to schools. However my Transcript still says not received, I had sent my official transcripts from my school a while back though. Is there some sort of delay or something?

I'm not 100% sure of your question, but I'll try to answer.

If you're asking about a delay in getting transcripts uploaded, I think on 5/19 they added an update to the homepage that said they were uploading transcripts received on 5/15. I believe Cawolf quoted the update somewhere above. When did you send the transcripts/do you expect them to have arrived by 5/15?

@swolebrah @SweetCaroline7

I think he is asking about transmission before all transcripts are received.

This is the posted TMDSAS procedure, feel free to go do secondaries now.

So.... I'm starting secondaries today, submitted on the 20th, LOR received/approved, mailed transcripts myself on the 19th.

I'm thinking TMDSAS will be done with all their work by the first week in June. I'm starting secondaries today. How long did it take ya'll? Hope to be complete at all schools as TMDSAS finishes their end.

I'm not 100% sure of your question, but I'll try to answer.

If you're asking about a delay in getting transcripts uploaded, I think on 5/19 they added an update to the homepage that said they were uploading transcripts received on 5/15. I believe Cawolf quoted the update somewhere above. When did you send the transcripts/do you expect them to have arrived by 5/15?

@swolebrah @SweetCaroline7

I think he is asking about transmission before all transcripts are received.

This is the posted TMDSAS procedure, feel free to go do secondaries now.

Yes what Cawolf was stating, I went ahead and started secondaries .

Reactions: 1 users
Just updating my status

Submitted TMDSAS application- 05/17/15
Transmitted to schools- 05/19/15
Received secondary app invite from TTHSC SOM ElPaso- 05/20/15
Received secondary app invite from TCOM- 05/20/15
Received secondary app invite from TTHSC Lubbock- 05/21/15

I never knew my application would be transmitted that fast and also receive the secondaries all at a time. Now I have to work on my secondaries. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
In TMDSAS?

I guess that makes sense because of matching. Does not apply to me though, applying from OOS - the odds are not in my favor.
Ahhhh okay. Well at least you're trying, most OOS students don't even apply! Just make sure you have a good answer as to why this school/why texas if you get any interviews!

Texas is AWESOME btw! ;)

@SaintedHover

Unfortunately I have no strong ties other than an aunt and cousins south of Dallas.

I love Texas though, and would be thrilled to live there. My rationale was that for the cost of 3 AMCAS schools, I can apply to 8 amazing TX schools - so why not?

What is the best combination of letters to submit? So far I have 1 science prof, 1 non-science prof, and my research PI. Should I swap out the non-science for another science prof? I'm OOS and previously lived in TX for a short time if that helps. I also majored in Econ so idk if it looks bad if I only had science recommendations.

Last edited:
Okay so I looked everywhere to answer this question but found nothing.
If you took supplemental workshops like Organic Chemitstry workshop under what course area will that fall? Other science, non science or ochem lecture?

Also, you can submit your application before having your committee packet right? My committee will review there stuff on june 16th and I dont want to wait that long to submit

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I looked everywhere to answer this question but found nothing.
If you took supplemental workshops like Organic Chemitstry workshop under what course area will that fall? Other science, non science or ochem lecture?

Also, you can submit your application before having your committee packet right? My committee will review there stuff on june 16th and I dont want to wait that long to submit
I think it's safe to say to place it under other sciences. TMDSAS will go over and makes changes if necessary when they get your transcripts.

Also yes you can submit before you have your packet.

Last edited:
What is the best combination of letters to submit? So far I have 1 science prof, 1 non-science prof, and my research PI. Should I swap out the non-science for another science prof? I'm OOS and previously lived in TX for a short time if that helps. I also majored in Econ so idk if it looks bad if I only had science recommendations.
It doesn't look bad to only have one science letter. If you feel that the three letters you have are your strongest, I'd just use those three.

It doesn't look bad to only have one science letter. If you feel that the three letters you have are your strongest, I'd just use those three.

I am very torn right now. The non-science prof has known me for many years, however, I have no clue how strong the letter is. The other science prof I could add in has also known me for many years and I'm fairly sure wrote an excellent LOR. I have no clue which one to go with! IS the general consensus to do 2 science letters?

Just called TMDSAS due to confusion filling out Extracurricular/leisure activities section. I was told that this section is meant to just be things unrelated to school, such as hobbies and even "travel." I had been under the impression that this section would overlap with what we listed for leadership. I.e. an organization that I was an officer for would be listed in leadership with a description of my duties, and then listed again in ECs with a description of the activities I participate in with the club etc.

I'm not quite sure what the best approach would be at this point >.<;

My LOR was rejected because my professor didn't sign it or use "official letterhead." I am pretty sure that he is on vacation because it has already been a week and he still has not gotten back to my messages. Can I just submit a different reference? This is frustrating to say the least.
Yeah its frustrating, I had to reask my doctor who wrote my letter for a resending using letter head. If its a completely different letter, which I'm assuming it will be, you have to email TMDSAS and give them all the information that was required originally for the LOR's entry.

If you email the admin on the TMDSAS application portal thing, you can ask them exactly what is needed to add a LOR writer to your application. The lady was pretty quick to respond back to me (I think like 20-30minute's)

Lol that sucks thanks for the quick reply. I think that I might just get a new person to write me a letter that probably would be better than the letter I was trying to send anyways. Do you think that say June 7th would still be considered early? Or should I send any other letter that I have available ASAP?
June is still early, you should be still good to go. IF the letter your waiting for is much better, I'd wait. Quality of letter is very important, as you probably know already

My LOR was rejected because my professor didn't sign it or use "official letterhead." I am pretty sure that he is on vacation because it has already been a week and he still has not gotten back to my messages. Can I just submit a different reference? This is frustrating to say the least.
Same thing happened to me today. I haven't submitted my app yet, so hopefully the prof gets back to me ASAP.

Same thing happened to me today. I haven't submitted my app yet, so hopefully the prof gets back to me ASAP.

I feel for you. Isn't the point of using Interfolio with application services to ensure letter authenticity? Why would the professor not using the proper letterhead matter? If Interfolio truly does a background check on the letter writers they'd know that my professor is indeed a professor of my university and an official letterhead and even no signature ought to not make a difference.

Instead they make you waste more money to have the letter resent. It's like these medical schools assume that all applicants come from affluent families or were given full rides in college.

If I don't get into medical school this cycle I may declare bankruptcy!

I feel for you. Isn't the point of using Interfolio with application services to ensure letter authenticity? Why would the professor not using the proper letterhead matter? If Interfolio truly does a background check on the letter writers they'd know that my professor is indeed a professor of my university and an official letterhead and even no signature ought to not make a difference.

Instead they make you waste more money to have the letter resent. It's like these medical schools assume that all applicants come from affluent families or were given full rides in college.

Lol yeah, I'm glad they sent a notification though bc AMCAS accepted it and I'm assuming it would cause an issue later on when adcoms actually look at them.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It really sucks and considering it is part of their job, your professor should never have sent the letter without letterhead/signature. However, Interfolio definitely does not conduct a background check on the letter writers. You can provide any email address you want when you request a letter--one of my letter writers gave me a Gmail address to use. As far as Interfolio is concerned, that Gmail could have been made by me and I could have uploaded a letter I wrote about myself. That's why the letterhead and signature are important.

I've had this happen to me before, too, so I have some tips:
1) Call or email Interfolio after your letter arrives and ask them to confirm that the letter is on letterhead and signed. Then if it's not, you're not wasting the day it takes for it to get sent to TMDSAS.
2) Regarding the payment for delivery: you only pay once per application service per application cycle. So your first delivery to TMDSAS is going to cost $6 and then any other delivery to TMDSAS after that is free. Same is true of AMCAS.

Reactions: 2 users
This may be a silly question (and I'm so sorry if it has been answered, I haven't been able to find a response) but I graduated from undergrad as a dual-degree student, receiving both a B.S. and a B.A. How do I list this in the TMDSAS app? At first, I listed them as separate degrees, however then when I go to enter in my coursework, I can't break it up. Any suggestions? I don't want to list my second degree as just a secondary major since I actually received a degree in it.

How bad is it if I have no "non-academic recognition" :(

Looking for a quick opinion before I submit my app. I'm a PT and have attended a few sports medicine conferences. The speakers were primarily MDs or DOs. I have these conferences under "Healthcare Activities". Should I move them to another section? Or should I even include them at all? Thanks.

Looking for a quick opinion before I submit my app. I'm a PT and have attended a few sports medicine conferences. The speakers were primarily MDs or DOs. I have these conferences under "Healthcare Activities". Should I move them to another section? Or should I even include them at all? Thanks.

It sounds more like Extracurricular to me, but I don't think anyone would ding you for listing them as you have. Everyone organizes their applications differently; I used Healthcare Activities to list experiences with patient contact. There is not a hard-and-fast rule.

I 100% agree with @Cawolf.

Hey guys, quick, perhaps stupid question. If my brother is currently in college, would I select only is attending college and no for has attended college or yes for both? Thanks.

Additionally, if I am getting two degrees from the same college do I enter the college twice?

Last edited:
I sent my transcript more than two weeks ago. Status has not changed on my account. Anybody know when it should show that they have received it?

I sent my transcript more than two weeks ago. Status has not changed on my account. Anybody know when it should show that they have received it?
It took mine about 16 days, including weekends, to be marked received. I think they're just going slowly.

This long weekend also caused some delays.

I would expect a lot of backed-up items to be processed this week.

I am still confused after reading these posts? Are we not aloud to add schools after submitting the primary application. I have not recieved my mcat score and I don't want to take the risk of being screened without my score, so I might wait.

I am still confused after reading these posts? Are we not aloud to add schools after submitting the primary application. I have not recieved my mcat score and I don't want to take the risk of being screened without my score, so I might wait.
You are correct, you cannot add schools after submitting the primary, with the exception of Dell Med in Austin and UTRGV in the valley when they begin accepting applications.

Also, how are my fellow Texans dealing with this crazy flood business? It was pretty nuts here where I am in Houston and I heard other places are even worse.

You are correct, you cannot add schools after submitting the primary, with the exception of Dell Med in Austin and UTRGV in the valley when they begin accepting applications.

Also, how are my fellow Texans dealing with this crazy flood business? It was pretty nuts here where I am in Houston and I heard other places are even worse.
I am in San Antonio. Its really died down since Saturday but some areas are pretty bad. San Marcos I think is the area that has been affected the most.

I am in San Antonio. Its really died down since Saturday but some areas are pretty bad. San Marcos I think is the area that has been affected the most.

Yeah I was reading about the house that washed away in San Marcos. Pretty nuts.

For Houston, the worst we got was definitely last night. All schools in the city closed, and 288 is now a literal river.

Edit: found a crazy picture of what I'm talking about. All that water? That's normally a highway.
NHdKE4L.jpg

Last edited:
Hat

For Houston, the worst we got was definitely last night. All schools in the city closed, and 288 is now a literal river.

Edit: found a crazy picture of what I'm talking about. All that water? That's normally a highway.
NHdKE4L.jpg
That's unbelievable. Hope you and your loved ones are staying safe.

NHdKE4L.jpg

Yeah I was looking at some pictures online of business being flooded and etc. Its just so sad! There's only been 2 deaths that I've heard about here in San Antonio, more damage here than anything.

But geez, we needed the rain, but not this much!

Also wanted to mention that Austin has had some pretty bad flooding also, so if theres any application delays with transcripts or mailed in letters it can be attributed to that (along with the long weekend).

Do you think schools screen out applicants who are waiting for their mcat score?

I know I already asked this before, but I didn't get much feedback. Do TX schools prefer to have 2 science LOR's or a combination on science and non-science?

Status
Not open for further replies.