*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post any questions relating to the TMDSAS Application here.

2015-2016 Thread Link

Stole this from @Ismet

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!
Please remember that each thread has a search function in the header labeled "Search this Thread". Please use it to avoid repeating questions.

Please use the TMDSAS Application site as your first resource for questions. The website has a list of FAQ's and plenty of other information. http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/homepage.html

TMDSAS Activities FAQ:

Available categories
(http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html)
ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
NON-ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
LEADERSHIP
EMPLOYMENT
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
HEALTHCARE ACTIVITIES
COMMUNITY SERVICE
EXTRACURRICULAR & LEISURE ACTIVITIES
PLANNED ACTIVITIES

1) Should I write descriptions in narrative or bullet form?

They say either list or paragraph is fine. But as far as formatting goes in TMDSAS activity section, you will see that when you hit save, the listed items are strung together one after another (instead of each in separate lines). Many write in paragraphs because of this formatting issue to make it more readable. Be cautious if you want to use bullets (or hyphens in their place).

2) If there's a significant non-medical volunteer experience I did back in High School for 4 years, can I include it on my application?
Some don't think your application should include activities that occurred before your college freshman year. Maybe bring it up in a "why do you want to be a doctor," Secondary, or interview.

3) Should I list all my shadowing together?
Yes, but if it doesn’t fit gracefully into the 300 space limit, list the experiences separately.

4) If I had multiple leadership positions within an organization, do I list them separately on the TMDSAS? (ex: entry 1- VP of Org X, then separate entry 2 for Pres of Org X)
Yes, as long as each leadership role required uniquely different components.

5) For an award that I have received multiple times (Dean's List) should I list it every time I earned it since it shows up on my transcript as well multiple times?
Put it once and say earned x number of times, or list separately.

6) Where do you put publications, under Research Experiences? Do you just paste the citation into the description?
You could just put the citation but if you can fit in a short description about what you did, include that.

7) What if I have multiple publications?
If possible, put multiple publications under one entry for research with a 1 for the hours. As 300 chars aren’t enough for full citations one can abbreviate which author spot, the journal, and the year published (TMDSAS was called and the lady mentioned this would be fine).

8) My research lab is working on a publication for the next school year. I have the citation, so should I put this in the "planned activities" section?
The perfect place to put this.

9) If I have a recurring volunteer experience that happens every winter break for the past 4 winter breaks, should I separate them into four entries or just clump them into one entry? If I clump them into one entry, do I just put down the dates for one and the total hours for one? Or do I put down total hours over 4 winters for cumulative?
You could do either, one would probably put it in one, combine the hours, and mention how this was done every winter break as well as information about it (if you can fit it).

10) I already put under my medical volunteering section that I plan to continue a volunteer activity indefinitely, but should I also put it in again under future activities?
Treat each section as a stand-alone section. An interviewer should be able to look at the Planned Activities section and know everything you are going participate in during the foreseeable future. One person calling TMDSAS reported they said, "For the planned activity you should enter the start date as today and it should be up to the date of med school matriculation."

11) I understand that for the PLANNED ACTIVITIES section, it's okay to list all of your continued activities even if you previously indicated in another section that they would run until May 2015 or whatever. Because each activity may fit the criteria for different categories (ex. community service AND leadership), which category would I select for that activity in the planned activities section? Do I make two nearly identical planned activities (one labeled community service and the other labeled leadership), or do I simply choose the most appropriate category?
List it under the most appropriate category, but write the description in such a way that the reader would infer it falls under both. It shouldn’t be a problem if you list it twice though.

12) For the optional essays, is it better to fill out one versus not filling any of them out? I have a unique experience of being chosen to go to Washington DC for a conference as the only student from Texas attending. However, I read that essay is only for hardships and things of that nature. Is that true, or is my idea fine for that essay?
Definitely write the essay as you're thinking. It's always a good idea to write the essays in the first place, especially considering that several TX schools have no Secondaries. Take every chance you're given to sell yourself. As for your specific idea, this is an opinion: don't read any subtext into the prompt. It asks for "unique circumstances or life experiences" that would provide the schools with a "broader picture of who you are". Your idea sounds like it fits the bill.

13) If the date range for a particular activity spans into the future, do they want us to list completed hours + projected hours under Total Cumulative Hours or do we just list the hours we have completed thus far? For example:

Date Range: September 2013-June 2015
September 2013-Present: 100 hours completed
Present-June 2015: 100 hours projected

Total Cumulative Hours = 200 or 100

TMDSAS, when called, said if the date range spans into the future, one should include projected hours in the Total Cumulative Hours.

14) After I typed up all my activities, I created the chronology of activities. It is all correct, but the description was cut off due to 50 characters limit. Do we need to fix this in the chronology of activities itself or is this ok?
TMDSAS was called and they said to leave it truncated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMDSAS General FAQ

1) Can I add more schools after I submit? Yes, but not via the application - you have to send an email to TMDSAS or go through the application's internal messaging system. The request must be received by the application deadline. Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and list the schools you would like added to your application. This can be done anytime until September 30th. (further reading: https://www.tmdsas.com/frwqAskedQ/02-ChangingYourApp.html)

2) Can I change a letter writer if necessary? Yes, you can change your letter writer. Per TMDSAS website:

"We understand that evaluators may change. You MUST update TMDSAS of an evaluator change immediately.

Once you have secured a different evaluator, please notify TMDSAS of the new evaluator. To make this change, email [email protected] . Include your full name, TMDSAS ID and the name of the evaluator that needs to be removed. Provide the following information for the evaluator that should be added:

Salutation (i.e. Dr, Prof, Mr, Mrs, etc.)
First name of Evaluator
Last name of Evaluator
Suffix (i.e. MD, PhD, etc.)
Relationship to you (Academic Advisor, HP Advisor, Professor, Business Associate, Work/Volunteer Supervisor, Other)
Letter delivery method (upload directly to TMDAS or through Interfolio)
Email address of evaluator if he/she will upload directly to TMDSAS"

3) How accurately does the "what schools on AMCAS are you applying to?" have to be on the TMDSAS? Not very, but be aware that interviewers can see your list.

4) What are "minor traffic violations"?

Minor traffic violations are those offenses not subject to a jail sentence. Types of minor traffic violations include speeding, failure to wear a seat belt, illegal parking, failure to stop, driving with an expired or invalid driver license that has not been suspended or revoked, and disobeying traffic lights signs or signals.

Examples of violations of law not considered minor traffic violations are: driving while intoxicated (DWI), driving under the influence (DUI), driving while license is suspended (DWLS), failure to appear (FTA), reckless driving, open container, and assault with a motor vehicle. These types of violations must be reported on your application.

5) Can you explain the Texas acceptance/match setup? TMDSAS opens in early May. Texas schools begin offering interviews in late June to early August (it varies). Interviews are handed out until around November or maybe December. No in-state acceptances are offered until November 15th, which is the beginning of the "pre-match period" that continues until December 31st. At this time, admissions are rolling. Applicants are permitted to hold as many prematch offers as they receive and continue interviewing elsewhere if you have more interviews lined up, but are encouraged to withdraw from any school they are sure they don't want to attend. You are permitted to keep all of these offers until the match. By a day in January (the 21st I think?) you are required to rank all schools you've interviewed at (they appear in a window on TMDSAS) in order of preference. On February 1st, a computer automatically matches candidates to their highest ranked school that gave them an acceptance, and auto-withdraws them from lower ranked schools, according to an algorithm. If you were holding multiple offers, you are thus withdrawn from schools you ranked lower. If you didn't have an offer, you have a chance to match to a school that didn't offer you yet. Interviewees who didn't match are put on waitlists if deemed "acceptable", and may or may not be told their position on the waitlist. After this point, based on any further movement of the classes (particularly from students withdrawing after picking up an OOS acceptance) acceptances are once again given out on a rolling basis. You can technically still pick up an acceptance until classes begin in late August (early September?), but it's considered rare for this to happen after May 15th.

If you do receive a match on Match Day, you cannot be pulled off the waitlist at any TMDSAS school past June 1. Only students who did not match anywhere can still be accepted after that date.

6) How do I enter in a zero credit class (or a W or an Audit)? TMDSAS won't let me enter 0 for credit hours. The 0 credit hour courses do not affect GPA whatsoever, so just leave them out, even though they show up on your transcript. Alternatively, if you enter a 1, TMDSAS will correct them when they verify your official transcript.

7) Is Pre-Calculus included in the BCMP GPA? Even though all math other than Calculus and Statistics are categorized as Other Science, it is still included in the BCPM GPA, per a call by gonnif to TMDSAS.

If you have FAQ's you would like posted, feel free to send me a PM with the question and answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Texas resident, will be applying this cycle. good luck to us all!

Can all the LOR be attached to the committee letter? My school puts them all on the committee letter, so... I guess research time!

Edit: Committee letter will do!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't believe its time for 2016-17 thread. Just seems that a couple months ago I was terrified whether or not I will even receive a single interview....then came the interviews.....the dreaded Match Day wait...

Matriculating at top choice at UTMB this Fall. Post questions if you have any about the process and I will do my best to answer them!!! All the best to everyone applying for EY2017!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Can all the LOR be attached to the committee letter? My school puts them all on the committee letter, so... I guess research time!

Edit: Committee letter will do!
If your committee does that, it is perfect!
When I applied, all my LORs were attached to the HPAC Cover Letter and the entire LOR packet was transmitted to TMDSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your letter writers need to put your TMDSAS ID on the letter itself, or is it ok if we just attach it to Interfolio ourselves when sending the letters to TMDSAS?

Last edited:
ALSO I'M NERVOUS BUT EXCITED AT THE SAME TIME!!

Good luck to all of you! The 2015-2016 cycle was great

Do your letter writers need to put your TMDSAS ID on the letter itself, or is it ok if we just attach it to Interfolio ourselves when sending the letters to TMDSAS?
Yes, ask your letter writers to include the TMDSAS ID.

Yes, ask your letter writers to include the TMDSAS ID.

Do they just write it on the top of the letter? And what if I'm also applying to AMCAS, do they just simply put both on there?

Do they just write it on the top of the letter? And what if I'm also applying to AMCAS, do they just simply put both on there?
I never saw the actual letter but I'm presuming yes it was on the top or in the introductory statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank god someone made this thread. Alright, I know I repeated this in other threads, but seriously, THREE recommendation letters now instead of two required? I have three secured, but what a curve ball!

Second question, from reading TMDSAS, I'm suppose to wait until May 2nd to get my schools to send my transcripts since that's when application opens?

Last edited:
In the activities section I understand that there is a three hundred character limit including spaces and we are supposed to list the activity, title, date, location, hours, etc. plus a brief description.

My question is whether or not there is a place to input the activity, title, date, location, hours and that type information and then we get 300 characters to describe the activity or if we have to fit all that information plus the description into the 300 character limit?

Thanks for any information!

Hey guys, I'm taking my MCAT May 20th. Will this be too late for TMDSAS, especially since I'm applying OOS?

Last edited:
3) How accurately does the "what schools on AMCAS are you applying to?" have to be on the TMDSAS? Not very, but be aware that interviewers can see your list.

Are interviewers able to see the list via AMCAS or what we report on TMDSAS?

Hey guys, I'm taking my MCAT May 20th. Will this be too late for TMDSAS, especially since I'm applying OOS?

I can only speak for IS, but last cycle, I took the MCAT June 19th and didn't submit my TMDSAS application until the third week of July. I'm certainly not advocating waiting that long if it can be avoided, but in my experience it is definitely possible for late applications to be successful ... I still wrangled 5 II's and am stoked to be headed to UTMB this fall!

Texas has a rather punishing IS preference, but I would think that if you can try to get the rest of your application done prior to sitting the MCAT, those few weeks should not diminish your chances.

As far as I know, I don't think it should be any different for OOS; back when I applied my MCAT was May 30th. I submitted everything before I got my score back though, so it'd be processed ASAP. Got some of the earliest interview dates, so you should be good.

If I took a research course with a lab supervisor would her letter be able to count as one of my science letters?

Hey guys! OOS applicant here that will be applying this cycle! Couple of questions:

1. How much will it hurt my application if I apply with an old MCAT score that's pretty low but I indicate that I am re-taking the exam beginning of July. Will that negate the purpose of applying early?

2. Also, I'm struggling to figure out what they want to see with the "Personal Characteristics" essay and "Optional" Essay (LOL at optional). From what I understand reading the prompt for the personal characteristics essay, they want to see something that demonstrates your ability to work with others AKA leadership skills? It seems like the purpose of the "optional" essay, then, is to discuss your background that makes you different from all the other applicants.

Hi guys! I will be applying this cycle as well!

I have a quick question, kind of similar to the one above. I have taken the MCAT before and did not do too well and will be taking it again in July! I know for the AMCAS applications, someone suggested to me to apply to one school while I'm studying for the MCAT, so I can have all my letters and information uploaded, and then apply to the rest of the schools when I have my new score, is this possible with TMDSAS?

You can't add schools on the TMDSAS application once you submit the primary application. I have read that you could potentially email TMDSAS to ask them to add schools, but there is no built in process in the TMDSAS online app that will allow you to add after submission. An August (assuming scores come out 3-4 weeks after exam) completion of your application seems pretty late however..

Greetings and good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

I'll be applying next cycle. I was thinking of filling out the TMDSAS application this year, but not submitting it, so that next year most of the info rolls forward into my app allowing me to apply as early as possible. Other than this being a little neurotic, is there any reason not to do this?

You can't add schools on the TMDSAS application once you submit the primary application. I have read that you could potentially email TMDSAS to ask them to add schools, but there is no built in process in the TMDSAS online app that will allow you to add after submission. An August (assuming scores come out 3-4 weeks after exam) completion of your application seems pretty late however..
Thank you! Yeah I'm aware of it being a bit late but it is better than not applying at all. :/

I'll be applying next cycle. I was thinking of filling out the TMDSAS application this year, but not submitting it, so that next year most of the info rolls forward into my app allowing me to apply as early as possible. Other than this being a little neurotic, is there any reason not to do this?
I think there would be very little (if any) benefit in doing that.

Thank you! Yeah I'm aware of it being a bit late but it is better than not applying at all. :/

You want to only submit when your application can be at its absolute peak, and that includes timing. Trust me. Not applying might be the better option than applying late because you run the risk of becoming a reapplicant. Granted, August isn't SUPER late, if you're set on applying, just make sure you have your secondaries pre written, letters submitted, etc., and that the only thing schools are waiting on is your MCAT. And needless to say, if you ARE applying this cycle, 110% certain, then apply to ALL Texas schools. Don't pick and choose, apply to ALL.

1) there's no cost difference for the primary between applying to a select few vs applying to all
2) schools can see where you've applied through TMDSAS, and I've read that it can come off arrogant if you pick and choose where to apply
3) you can't get accepted where you don't apply

Whether you submit on THE very first day (May 2nd this year) or on May 14th won't make a difference. There really isn't any difference as long as apps are submitted by early June I think. Filling out the app takes a few hours at most (assuming you've prewritten all of the essays).

Are most of y'all doing the optional essay? On one hand, I've read that it's usually reserved for those that have had financial/academic hardships or personal issues, but I have also read that it can be used to further talk about yourself. I wanted to write about completing a full marathon, but I'm not sure if I should

Edit: Just realized my question is basically answered in the OP

Last edited:
You want to only submit when your application can be at its absolute peak, and that includes timing. Trust me. Not applying might be the better option than applying late because you run the risk of becoming a reapplicant. Granted, August isn't SUPER late, if you're set on applying, just make sure you have your secondaries pre written, letters submitted, etc., and that the only thing schools are waiting on is your MCAT. And needless to say, if you ARE applying this cycle, 110% certain, then apply to ALL Texas schools. Don't pick and choose, apply to ALL.

1) there's no cost difference for the primary between applying to a select few vs applying to all
2) schools can see where you've applied through TMDSAS, and I've read that it can come off arrogant if you pick and choose where to apply
3) you can't get accepted where you don't apply

Lol, I hear ya, but we all have a friend or knew a guy/girl who are naive about the process, but still got admitted. Doesn't that make you mad/happy at the same time? A buddy of mine studied for the MCAT for three weeks with old books and destroyed it with a 32. He applied late August last year and only to four schools, because he stated there were some fees (???). Result? Got into all 3/4 (one waitlist at UTSW) Texas schools he applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no idea what to write for the optional essay. I don't know if I should even write one.

I have been in email contact with TMDSAS and have confirmation that if you are awaiting your MCAT scores, but would like to submit and have your application be among the first to be verified after May 2's application opens, you can submit by choosing one school and then when your scores are in, you can then add all other schools to have your application sent. This procedure is similar to SDN's advice regarding AMCAS application submission without your MCAT scores which is submit with one school in order to get your application verified and then once you receive your scores, add more schools. This contradicts what is provided above, so I am not sure what to believe. I don't see any negatives doing this (except if your scores are not up to par), but if anyone would like to chime in please do.

Quotes from Anne at TMDSAS:

"If you are referring to TMDSAS schools, you can add additional schools up to the deadline Sept 30th. Once you submit the application, you will not be able to change or add any non-TMDSAS schools."

"You can add the TMDSAS schools after the initial submission. Please understand that the application won’t be reviewed by any school until the test scores are received."

@WedgeDawg @lavacake @Brise

Last edited:
Would it look super weird if I apply to all MDs, but not the DO school?

Would it look super weird if I apply to all MDs, but not the DO school?

I have heard to go ahead and apply to TCOM, but you don't necessarily need to do the secondary or attend the interview

hey guys, quick question about the optional essay! i know it says in the tmdsas handbook that we can talk about maybe some less than ideal circumstances or explain something about our application that hasnt been explained before...but do yall think it's okay if i used that to talk about a goal/dream that i've always wanted to fulfill and am working towards (not something that's been discussed anywhere else on my application). Let me know if yall think this is appropriate....it's actually out of the 3 my favorite essay that i've written haha

The TMDSAS handbook states that you are encouraged to write certain activities in several different sections (community service AND healthcare activities) if they apply. Do you change up the description or do you just say "See Community Service" (for example)?

Also do you recommend writing in full sentences (I was awarded _______, I performed _____, I observed__________) or phrases (Awarded __________, Performed ____________, Observed ______________)?

Thanks for the help!

hey guys, quick question about the optional essay! i know it says in the tmdsas handbook that we can talk about maybe some less than ideal circumstances or explain something about our application that hasnt been explained before...but do yall think it's okay if i used that to talk about a goal/dream that i've always wanted to fulfill and am working towards (not something that's been discussed anywhere else on my application). Let me know if yall think this is appropriate....it's actually out of the 3 my favorite essay that i've written haha

If you can kind of talk about the challenge that it is taking to work toward the dream, then I say go for it. This essay has a LOT of leeway. But I would answer the prompt, so add something about less than ideal circumstances. Otherwise, it will look like you cannot read directions.

For AP credit, my school did not match AP credit with specific classes. I have nothing to input for 'course number'. Any advice?

Last edited:
Does anyone's transcript say "not received" even thought you already sent it? I literally received a confirmation email from my college that TMDSAS has received it, but on my application, it says it's not received. Does it take time for it to update? I also sent it to AMCAS and I got an AMCAS email immediately that it was received by them.. but not TMDSAS.

2017 amcas opens tomorrow

How accurate does the Planned Activities section need to be? I am in flux between two employment options for next year and won't know which path I will be on until well after I submit this application. Should I put the slightly more likely path knowing there's a significant chance it will change? I do want to represent one of the two options, because it's not like I will be sitting around. And is this something that would need to be updated once that decision has been made?

Hi all! So i'm doing the application right now. When it talks about academic awards and non academic recognition, I have very little. I mean I made the Dean's List and a Presidential Scholar at my school, but nothing else. Is this a red flag to the schools? I'm worried right now. My ECs, grades, MCAT, letters of rec, shadowing etc are good. Just this section haha Thanks and good luck to you all!!!

But I literally went in and filled stuff out today. And sent in the transcripts, with this email.

AMCAS has received a transcript in support of your application to the 2016 entering class.

Transcript: [school], Received, on 05/02/2016

Should AMCAS determine during verification that we require official transcripts other than those listed above or that any received transcript listed above is unofficial, illegible, or incomplete, you will be notified and your application will not be processed until we receive all required transcripts.

***Checking the Status of Your Application***

You may check the status of your application throughout the admissions process by returning to your application. The Details link on the Main Menu of your application provides information specific to your application, including processing and transcript statuses.

Thank you for using AMCAS.

www.aamc.org/amcas | [email protected] |202-828-0600

Did I send it for the wrong application cycle??

You would be 2017 entering class, not 2016 I believe.

Hi all! So i'm doing the application right now. When it talks about academic awards and non academic recognition, I have very little. I mean I made the Dean's List and a Presidential Scholar at my school, but nothing else. Is this a red flag to the schools? I'm worried right now. My ECs, grades, MCAT, letters of rec, shadowing etc are good. Just this section haha Thanks and good luck to you all!!!

Don't think it's anything to be worried about, and definitely not a red flag.

Do you guys think I have a shot in Texas?

My MCAT: 1st attempt: 505 (28.5 equivalent) and then second attempt (yes I am ashamed), sadly.. 504 (28 equivalent)
GPA: 3.77

I'm not worried about ECs and LORs, I have been told that both are outstanding by someone who used to be on a texas med school admission committee.

Only thing I am worried about is MCAT. So what do you guys think? (Indeed, I am applying DO. Just wondering if I have shot at MD in TX! :p)

Do you guys think I have a shot in Texas?

My MCAT: 1st attempt: 505 (28.5 equivalent) and then second attempt (yes I am ashamed), sadly.. 504 (28 equivalent)
GPA: 3.77

I'm not worried about ECs and LORs, I have been told that both are outstanding by someone who used to be on a texas med school admission committee.

Only thing I am worried about is MCAT. So what do you guys think? (Indeed, I am applying DO. Just wondering if I have shot at MD in TX! :p)

Assuming you are a Texas resident?
With that MCAT, it'll be difficult for programs like UTSW or Baylor (AMCAS). The average matriculant MCAT for all of TMDSAS 2015 was 30.7, and the fact that you didn't improve the second time you took the MCAT doesn't look great. Your GPA is right around the ballpark for average (3.74). You may have a shot at UTSA, Texas Tech, UTMB, UTH, and A&M. But you have to understand that even for those schools, your MCAT is in the bottom 10th percentile so it'll be tough. But again, they can't say yes unless you ask. And since the app cost is the same whether you apply to one or all....

If you can submit your apps within the next couple weeks, and have some really stellar EC/LoR, you may have a shot.

I'm no expert, I'm just looking at the TMDSAS data sheet, and MSAR.