*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all applying in the great country of Texas... errr... state! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming you are a Texas resident?
With that MCAT, it'll be difficult for programs like UTSW or Baylor (AMCAS). The average matriculant MCAT for all of TMDSAS 2015 was 30.7, and the fact that you didn't improve the second time you took the MCAT doesn't look great. Your GPA is right around the ballpark for average (3.74). You may have a shot at UTSA, Texas Tech, UTMB, UTH, and A&M. But you have to understand that even for those schools, your MCAT is in the bottom 10th percentile so it'll be tough. But again, they can't say yes unless you ask. And since the app cost is the same whether you apply to one or all....

If you can submit your apps within the next couple weeks, and have some really stellar EC/LoR, you may have a shot.

I'm no expert, I'm just looking at the TMDSAS data sheet, and MSAR.

Thank you for the well thought out and informative response.

After you mentioned TMDSAS statistics I went ahead and took a look, 19% of TX medical school matriculants had an MCAT between 28-29. I had no idea it was this high, good news? or am I reading this wrong?

One of the "best" things on my ECs is a first author publication at a major university lab, how far does that go?

For LOR: I have one from the undergraduate department chair of chemistry whom I have gotten to know for 3 years personally since day 1 of college, another very strong one from a retired UTSW admission committee member whom I now research for (MD/PhD - he is also a professor at my uni), and 2 more additional LOR that I would call slightly above average.

Again, thank you for pointing me toward MSAR and the TMDSAS statistics, completely forgot! Would love to have your opinion again :) Thanks

Hey all.

Since the activities section limits you to 300 chars per activity, how are ya'll formatting it? Resume style bullets or a cohesive paragraph?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
After very in-depth calculations, the best estimate I can make of my TMDSAS cumulative GPA is 3.1972....
Dell Medical School has a minimum of 3.2. Is there rounding?

(save your low-GPA comments. I already know of this, and my other stats are compensatory)

Thank you for the well thought out and informative response.

After you mentioned TMDSAS statistics I went ahead and took a look, 19% of TX medical school matriculants had an MCAT between 28-29. I had no idea it was this high, good news? or am I reading this wrong?

One of the "best" things on my ECs is a first author publication at a major university lab, how far does that go?

For LOR: I have one from the undergraduate department chair of chemistry whom I have gotten to know for 3 years personally since day 1 of college, another very strong one from a retired UTSW admission committee member whom I now research for (MD/PhD - he is also a professor at my uni), and 2 more additional LOR that I would call slightly above average.

Again, thank you for pointing me toward MSAR and the TMDSAS statistics, completely forgot! Would love to have your opinion again :) Thanks

19% is pretty high actually.. lol, missed that part. But it does include all Texas schools, including TCOM. I think you can maximize your chances if you can get everything submitted to TMDSAS before May ends.
Not entirely sure on this, but what I've heard is that for schools that aren't top 20s, research is more like icing on the cake. It'll help and look good for sure, but it's not a huge priority for the schools that your GPA and MCAT would put you in the range for.
Like I said, they can't say yes unless you apply. But the more you delay, the lower your chances become. Get it done early. It seems like you'll be solid for DO (though I think a lot of DO schools want/require LoRs from DOs?). MD will be a little bit of a reach, but you're still "within striking distance" I would think.

Hi all! So i'm doing the application right now. When it talks about academic awards and non academic recognition, I have very little. I mean I made the Dean's List and a Presidential Scholar at my school, but nothing else. Is this a red flag to the schools? I'm worried right now. My ECs, grades, MCAT, letters of rec, shadowing etc are good. Just this section haha Thanks and good luck to you all!!!
That's basically all I had and it was fine.

The TMDSAS handbook states that you are encouraged to write certain activities in several different sections (community service AND healthcare activities) if they apply. Do you change up the description or do you just say "See Community Service" (for example)?

Also do you recommend writing in full sentences (I was awarded _______, I performed _____, I observed__________) or phrases (Awarded __________, Performed ____________, Observed ______________)?

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
same question as rgrahul; if we list the same activity in more than one category, should we change the description or keep it the same for the sake consistency?

same question as rgrahul; if we list the same activity in more than one category, should we change the description or keep it the same for the sake consistency?

Yeah because I have been told it looks like you are just trying to fill the app out (not what I am trying to do). Just trying to follow standards. And if the description is the same, I feel liek you just say "See _____ for description". But, again, I do not know.

I just finished the app cycle. I was told to add each activity under multiple sections if it applied to multiple. For example, for my clinical research, I put it under both "Research Activities" and "Healthcare Activities." I had a similar sentence for both description, however, I did change them to reflect which category it was under. Like I said more about my research role under the "Research Activities" section, and more about my role in the clinic/shadowing in the "Healthcare Activities" section.

Also, I know no one asked this but I had a question about it last year when I was filling out TMDSAS.
1) For scholarships or awards, I had received one multiple times and I was told to add it for each date I received it, and then I just put the same description.
2) Publications should be their own entry in the "Research Activities" section.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions! Happy to help!

After very in-depth calculations, the best estimate I can make of my TMDSAS cumulative GPA is 3.1972....

(save your low-GPA comments. I already know of this, and my other stats are compensatory)
I have the same question. I don't want to not apply there just because of that. I heard that it looks bad to not apply to all TX schools...

I have the same question. I don't want to not apply there just because of that. I heard that it looks bad to not apply to all TX schools...
I have no idea if they round, but I applied last year with a 3.6 GPA and did not even receive a secondary....so yeah.

You might as well apply to all of the schools on TMDSAS, then if you don't want to submit the secondary, you don't have to. I applied to all and then did not do the El Paso or DO school secondary because I did not want to attend either. It doesn't hurt to apply to all of the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

TMDSAS will most likely round to the hundredth digit. However, you will most likely get pre-screened out with that low of a GPA, not matter how "compensatory" your other stats are. How good are your other stats that you think they would compensate for that low of a GPA?

For the activities section, should we simply state what we did or should we try to show how it's relevant to med school/being a physician as well?

For the activities section, should we simply state what we did or should we try to show how it's relevant to med school/being a physician as well?
Since there's almost no room to write, I would definitely focus on explaining your activity concisely and not on relevance to the app (because technically everything you are writing down is relevant!)

TMDSAS will most likely round to the hundredth digit. However, you will most likely get pre-screened out with that low of a GPA, not matter how "compensatory" your other stats are. How good are your other stats that you think they would compensate for that low of a GPA?

That is a possibility. Have not applied before, and won't know until I try. 510, upward trend, publications, strong ECs. The world needs ditch diggers too.

That is a possibility. Have not applied before, and won't know until I try. 510, upward trend, publications, strong ECs. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Upward trend and still having a 3.2 might not be enough, even with a 510. Definitely apply to TCOM (DO) if you weren't planning on doing it.

Silly question, but for the guys here. What are you wearing in your professional photo that you need to upload to the app? I was thinking of just wearing a white button down with a tie.

Silly question, but for the guys here. What are you wearing in your professional photo that you need to upload to the app? I was thinking of just wearing a white button down with a tie.
That's fine. Shirt and tie on plain background, no crazy hairdos.

So I am working on my application right now for all the Texas schools, but I was wondering if it may also be worth it to apply to Baylor. I've asked other places, but haven't received feedback.

So... my stats
cGPA 3.9 (cGPA without academic fresh start ~3.0)
sGPA 3.94
MCAT 518

Army veteran, 8 years active/3years NG medic. 2 years ER work, ~1 year Primary care clinic, 2 deployments, and I'm getting one of my LOR from a IM doc I worked with closely (may also put this down as some shadowing time since we worked as a team and she would always explain what we were doing, plan things out with me, etc)

100+ hours volunteering (after school mentor, tutor at campus)
20 hours extra shadowing with a surgeon
suplemental instructor for 1 year bio and stats

Will my upward improvement after fresh start be enough to even put in an application to Baylor?

So I am working on my application right now for all the Texas schools, but I was wondering if it may also be worth it to apply to Baylor. I've asked other places, but haven't received feedback.

So... my stats
cGPA 3.9 (cGPA without academic fresh start ~3.0)
sGPA 3.94
MCAT 518

Army veteran, 8 years active/3years NG medic. 2 years ER work, ~1 year Primary care clinic, 2 deployments, and I'm getting one of my LOR from a IM doc I worked with closely (may also put this down as some shadowing time since we worked as a team and she would always explain what we were doing, plan things out with me, etc)

100+ hours volunteering (after school mentor, tutor at campus)
20 hours extra shadowing with a surgeon
suplemental instructor for 1 year bio and stats

Will my upward improvement after fresh start be enough to even put in an application to Baylor?

You're an impressive applicant with a chance anywhere in Texas.

On another note, how is the "other science" GPA viewed upon by schools? My nursing GPA weren't so hot : (.

You're an impressive applicant with a chance anywhere in Texas.

On another note, how is the "other science" GPA viewed upon by schools? My nursing GPA weren't so hot : (.

But should I not include Baylor, I can't find anything about them working with academic fresh start and since they are amcas, so the diff in gpa is 3.0 to 3.9 when factoring that in.

To answer your question, I have no idea, lol.

But should I not include Baylor, I can't find anything about them working with academic fresh start and since they are amcas, so the diff in gpa is 3.0 to 3.9 when factoring that in.

Unfortunately, Texas Academic Fresh Start is applicable only to the TMDSAS public state medical schools. Baylor is private, does not adhere to Texas Fresh Start, and will take your cumulative GPA as determined by AMCAS only.

Thank you for your service! You will get into a TMDSAS medical school with or without Baylor.

Unfortunately, Texas Academic Fresh Start is applicable only to the TMDSAS public state medical schools. Baylor is private, does not adhere to Texas Fresh Start, and will take your cumulative GPA as determined by AMCAS only.

I get that, lol. do you think its enough of an upward trend to include them?

They might appreciate the upward trend at least? Your MCAT is 96%! I'd be so surprise if you don't get an interview as a Texas resident.

Hey guys, I have a question. I go to two schools with two different campuses. One is a community college with multiple campus. The other is a university with a satellite site for their professional school. Do I need a transcript for each campus, totalling 4? I know I added the different campuses in my appplication when I inputted the coursework. Thanks! To be on the safe side, I might just do 4 lol.

For the award descriptions, is it okay if we copy and paste them from the official website on which they are listed?

Would being a student interviewer for my volunteer program be considered as leadership?

Hey guys, I have a question. I go to two schools with two different campuses. One is a community college with multiple campus. The other is a university with a satellite site for their professional school. Do I need a transcript for each campus, totalling 4? I know I added the different campuses in my appplication when I inputted the coursework. Thanks! To be on the safe side, I might just do 4 lol.

Yes, you need a transcript from every institution.

Would being a student interviewer for my volunteer program be considered as leadership?

Depends on your responsibilities. I interview new people at my job, but I wouldn't list that aspect of it leadership.

Depends on your responsibilities. I interview new people at my job, but I wouldn't list that aspect of it leadership.

What would you list it as? I'd like to include it somewhere to show added responsibility to my volunteer posititon

What would you list it as? I'd like to include it somewhere to show added responsibility to my volunteer posititon

I'm not the expert, haven't really gotten to that section. I'd imagine in the description of the job?

I got two more questions to anyone willing to chime in.

1. Do I send my transcripts now to TMDSAS even though I don't plan to submit until mid-june?
2. How are "other sciences" viewed under TMDSAS? My "other sciences" from nursing school might not even break a 3.0, but my BCPM gpa is 3.79 from my calculations.

Last edited:
Hm if I go to a quarter system school my spring quarter grades dont come out till 6/15 or so. Should I wait till then to submit or should I submit now and then update it later? Would the latter be looked at any differently? I'm expecting my sGPA to rise around .05

Also, it says "community service" instead of "volunteering." I volunteered at a surgical skills lab...this might be obvious but would I put this under health experiences or the community service section?

Would it be worth putting volunteering events that only happen lets say...once every couple of months?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Im a reapplicant but I had my name changed when I became a citizen last year. When I try to use my old TMDSAS ID I cant change my legal first name. Should I just make a new app?

I'm not the expert, haven't really gotten to that section. I'd imagine in the description of the job?

I got two more questions to anyone willing to chime in.

1. Do I send my transcripts now to TMDSAS even though I don't plan to submit until mid-june?
2. How are "other sciences" viewed under TMDSAS? My "other sciences" from nursing school might not even break a 3.0, but my BCPM gpa is 3.7 from my calculations.

You can go ahead and send in transcripts now as long as your "Colleges Attended" Section is saved!

Are you guys writing full sentences for your TMDSAS activity descriptions?

Are you guys writing full sentences for your TMDSAS activity descriptions?

I am. The opening post of this thread says you can do either, but using bullets might give you indention issues.

Hm. So my cGPA/sGPA is 3.6/3.4 and my mcat 4/1 is 508. Do you guys think I should submit my application now and retake it in July? I heard that they dont review ur app until your second mcat is in so would it be worth it? I feel like I could score above a 514 on a second try but I don't know if it would be worth the late application. Thoughts?

I think they still do review your app. I had a friend submit in May with his first MCAT score while indicating that he would be taking a July MCAT, and still received interviews before his score came out

Has anyone had any luck with submitting an electronic transcript? I know the handbook says to mail in a sealed transcript, but the community college I took a class in is only giving me the electronic transcript option :arghh:

Hey, so I've been told that volunteering in a hospital isn't considered clinical experience, which is understandable. So where are y'all putting your hospital volunteering information? In the community service or healthcare activities section? Or both?

Hey, so I've been told that volunteering in a hospital isn't considered clinical experience, which is understandable. So where are y'all putting your hospital volunteering information? In the community service or healthcare activities section? Or both?

Volunteering in a hospital can be considered clinical experience/healthcare experience depending on what you do. If you have direct contact with patients (i.e. If you can smell them) it is considered clinical experience and should be listed as such. There are multiple things that fall under this category: ChildLife volunteers, patient transportation, going door to door greeting patients and assisting them if they need anything. Filing or desk duties aren't considered to be clinical experience and could be listed under community service section. So once again, it just depends.

Has anyone had any luck with submitting an electronic transcript? I know the handbook says to mail in a sealed transcript, but the community college I took a class in is only giving me the electronic transcript option :arghh:
Second this question. One of my universities will only do electronic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Volunteering in a hospital can be considered clinical experience/healthcare experience depending on what you do. If you have direct contact with patients (i.e. If you can smell them) it is considered clinical experience and should be listed as such. There are multiple things that fall under this category: ChildLife volunteers, patient transportation, going door to door greeting patients and assisting them if they need anything. Filing or desk duties aren't considered to be clinical experience and could be listed under community service section. So once again, it just depends.
Okay thanks for the clarification. If I did paperwork(behind the desk, insurance, administrative stuff) and did stuff in the ER, would i put it in both sections?

Okay thanks for the clarification. If I did paperwork(behind the desk, insurance, administrative stuff) and did stuff in the ER, would i put it in both sections?
You could just put it all under healthcare activities and specify that you did both clerical work in addition to working with patients. That's what I did since I worked for ChildLife in the PICU and did some filing occasionally.

Basically, I have a repeated class where I made a B both times. My transcript states zero credit hour on the first B, should I just list it as zero exactly like the transcript? It's not an audit or dropped class, apparently I just retook a class I forgot I completed :/.

I have a question regarding TMDSAS letters of rec. If we are submitting our letters of rec via a committee letter packet, how many letters of rec should we submit to be included in that packet?
I know you should submit three if you are submitting individual letters, but does that apply to the committee packet as well?

I have a question regarding TMDSAS letters of rec. If we are submitting our letters of rec via a committee letter packet, how many letters of rec should we submit to be included in that packet?
I know you should submit three if you are submitting individual letters, but does that apply to the committee packet as well?

how many letters are in your committee packet depends on your university. tmdsas says that if you're sending a committee packet then you may have as many letters in there as your university permits.