*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question about secondaries- anyone know which schools automatically send them out vs applicants selectively receiving them? Thanks! Good luck everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's always the school specific threads from last year.

Edited: didn't notice this was specifically for Texas schools derp haha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hm, just some general things I'd like to ask you guys about the essays. I assume you are all also applying for AMCAS which has personal statement + 3 activities while TMDSAS has 3 essays. I was planning on using the same personal statement, but what do you think about bringing up the same research abroad trip in multiple essays. If I drew different stories from them, do you think it would be ok? For example, using it in my personal statements to talk about my interest in global health but then also in personal characteristics/meaningful activities essay to talk about working in a team. I feel like it was a significant thing I did but was unsure if bringing it up multiple times would be too much

This wasn't directly answered in the FAQ, but let's say I did a leadership activity for a weekend the August of 2012, 2013, and 2014. Would I put this as 3 separate leadership activities or combine it into 1? And if I did combine it into 1, how would I put down the start and end dates?

Start Date: August 2012, End Date: August 2014. Put the total number of hours you worked and in the description, say something along the lines of "Every August..." or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start Date: August 2012, End Date: August 2014. Put the total number of hours you worked and in the description, say something along the lines of "Every August..." or something like that.

How about in a situation where you volunteered a total of 100 hours over 3 years, but you have to fill in the hours per week option? If each volunteer shift was 3 hours long.

How about in a situation where you volunteered a total of 100 hours over 3 years, but you have to fill in the hours per week option? If each volunteer shift was 3 hours long.

I think the same would apply. As long as the hours aren't outrageous, it'll be fine.

My transcript was received, but it says "Transcript through Fall 2021". Anyone know what this means?

I'm a little confused about "other science." I'm a chem major so I put all my upper level chem classes (p chem, analytical, etc.) under "other science" because the chemistry category specified general chemistry. Was that wrong?

Also I know for AMCAS schools can receive your application without your LORs. Does TMDSAS transmit applications to schools without the letters or do they wait until the letters have come through?
I did the same thing. Since those courses aren't normally part of prerequisites, I think it should be fine.

I know that many applicants submit early June, but if I'm not ready to submit until late June or early July am I really at that big of a disadvantage? I have a good GPA and MCAT. I want to spend enough time on my PS (only started it a week ago) and activity descriptions.

I know that many applicants submit early June, but if I'm not ready to submit until late June or early July am I really at that big of a disadvantage? I have a good GPA and MCAT. I want to spend enough time on my PS (only started it a week ago) and activity descriptions.

Early July is the latest I would submit. If your stats are good like you say they are, you should be fine. Do not rush your PS. If that is how long it takes, then so be it. If you finish earlier, then submit it earlier

I am a borderline applicant (cGPA ~3.35 (unverified) sGPA ~3.3 (unverified) with pending MCAT ( May 6) and strong healthcare experience. My application is nearly complete, just waiting for them to receive the rest of my transcripts to submit.

Would I be best suited to only submit (apply) to one school at this time (Probably TCOM) and submit others later depending on what my MCAT score is? I understand I am not a competitive allopathic applicant, but I am a Texas resident so my application will consist only of Texas MD schools (and TCOM) and then OOS DO schools.

I am a borderline applicant (cGPA ~3.35 (unverified) sGPA ~3.3 (unverified) with pending MCAT ( May 6) and strong healthcare experience. My application is nearly complete, just waiting for them to receive the rest of my transcripts to submit.

Would I be best suited to only submit (apply) to one school at this time (Probably TCOM) and submit others later depending on what my MCAT score is? I understand I am not a competitive allopathic applicant, but I am a Texas resident so my application will consist only of Texas MD schools (and TCOM) and then OOS DO schools.

It's one flat fee for the TMDSAS application. Do you foresee yourself possibly doing a SMP or something raise your GPA to become more competitive, assuming that your MCAT is at least average? If you do, then you could wait. Also, you can submit without them having your transcripts and they will change your application when they receive them.

It's one flat fee for the TMDSAS application. Do you foresee yourself possibly doing a SMP or something raise your GPA to become more competitive, assuming that your MCAT is at least average? If you do, then you could wait. Also, you can submit without them having your transcripts and they will change your application when they receive them.
My plan is to apply to TCOM med sci if I do not get any acceptances. You are saying possibly forego applying this year?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most people like to think they are "unique", but I genuinely do believe I have some experiences that are different than a lot of applicants. If my MCAT is like my practice score in thinking I should at least get some OOS DO love.

As far as Texas, tons of family here, I have two kids and it'd be the best situation for my wife for us to stay as close as possible. Will apply to all if my MCAT doesn't kill me.
i wouldnt. apply to all the schools on TMDSAS.

I think most people like to think they are "unique", but I genuinely do believe I have some experiences that are different than a lot of applicants. If my MCAT is like my practice score in thinking I should at least get some OOS DO love.

As far as Texas, tons of family here, I have two kids and it'd be the best situation for my wife for us to stay as close as possible. Will apply to all if my MCAT doesn't kill me.

Keep in mind the app fro TCOM is open even until spring for their MS program. So, applying has no downside atm

Hey guys, I searched for this prior, but how behind am I going to be by submitting my primary within the first week of June for TMDSAS?

I'm trying to take the extra time to perfect my essays but I don't know if submitting in May vs. June is a big benefit

Hey guys, I searched for this prior, but how behind am I going to be by submitting my primary within the first week of June for TMDSAS?

I'm trying to take the extra time to perfect my essays but I don't know if submitting in May vs. June is a big benefit

I believe most schools start looking at the first round of applications around mid-late June. It shouldn't make much of a difference if you wait until early June to submit your primary, as long as you don't stall on submitting your secondaries afterwards.

Well you have several options to consider. If you do not get any acceptance this year and you applied to all of the TMDSAS schools, you would be considered a reapplicant and thus would have to show improvement in your application overall. Honestly, I don't think the reapplicant deal isn't as big of a thing for Texas schools as it is everywhere else.

If you don't get accepted and do the Med Sci program, then I would recommend you not apply again while you are in the program, since the entire reason for the program is to improve your grades. If you apply while doing the program, you won't have enough grades to show them before the fall is over. That would mean that you would reapply two years from this cycle. I just completed the Med Sci program this year, and if you are planning reapplying two years from know, I would recommend looking at other, more formal Master's programs, like Texas Tech's. Theirs is a two-year program, but the students apply to medical school during their second year. It is much more selective however. So this would be the exact same timeline, except programs like Tech's are affiliated with MD schools as well as much more well-rounded.

So at least for this cycle, you might as well add all of the TMDSAS schools if you don't mind writing a couple more essays and paying for a couple more application fees.

Yeah, I had considered that. Are you at TCOM? I read that TCOM does evaluations on their med sci students and their students will get interviews in the fall/spring if they are performing well.

Perfect your PS. It took me until mid June to finish and I received love from all the Texas schools I applied to last cycle.

Hey folks! I have several poster presentations that I would really like to group into one entry under Research Activities if possible, but I am unsure what info is most important to include. What kinds of details are ok to leave out, or would it be better to just list each as its own entry? Thanks!

Is anyone making a republic of texas thread? :D

Is it taking anyone elses transcripts to take FOREVER to be marked as received? AACOMAS already almost has all of mine. All request simultaneously.

Is it taking anyone elses transcripts to take FOREVER to be marked as received? AACOMAS already almost has all of mine. All request simultaneously.

Yea Sent one from Austin (where TMDSAS is located) on the 10th and wasn't received until the 20th. Then sent another one from a community college on the 12th and still hasn't been received yet

Under "Healthcare Activities" when it says "Total Cumulative Hours," should we include the hours that are projected if we intend to continue the activity until med school, or only the hours we've accumulated thus far?

Under "Healthcare Activities" when it says "Total Cumulative Hours," should we include the hours that are projected if we intend to continue the activity until med school, or only the hours we've accumulated thus far?

Point #13 of the OP says to go ahead and include the projected hours

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how long it takes for the TMDSAS website to update that your MCAT was received? I transmitted the MCAT electronically yesterday to Texas Medical and Dental Services, but it still says that I don't have it on my TMDSAS page.

Alright you need to chill a bit. There is a TON of waiting and patience involved in this process, and it is very unrealistic to expect anything to be done within a day. It is still May and WAY too early to start worrying about stuff like that.

Reactions: 1 users
For future activities, what do we put the start date as?

For example, if I was doing research since 2014 and plan on doing it until 2017, what do I list as my start date under "planned activities"? I know the FAQ here says put the start date as today, but this seems a bit odd.

Any help with this matter?

I'm not quite ready for a WAMC thread so I thought I would post here to get some feedback.

I graduated 5 years ago and my cGPA is 3.36 and sGPA is 3.22 and due to the amount of hours I've taken (over 200) the best I could get is a 3.4c/3.29s even if I took more classes between now and next year. My main issues were low grades in my chemistry classes and several upper levels. Outside of grades I have average volunteering (nearly 100 hours each clinical and nonclinical) and I have been working full time as a patient care tech for the last year. I have no research at all but good leadership experience.

My last 75 hours, which includes my last 2 semesters and about 40 hours since I graduated is a cGPA of 3.92 and sGPA of 3.9 (while good only a 4-5 classes were upper level sciences and none since graduating). Since last year I have been in the process of retaking my chemistry classes with the intention of focusing DO since they have grade replacement. Obviously, things also hinge on the MCAT and if I don't score at least above 510 (taking July 9) I will definitely not apply this cycle regardless. If I do get above that do I have any shot at a Texas school this year or should I continue focusing on DO?

Last edited:
For future activities, what do we put the start date as?

For example, if I was doing research since 2014 and plan on doing it until 2017, what do I list as my start date under "planned activities"? I know the FAQ here says put the start date as today, but this seems a bit odd.

Any help with this matter?

Put the research you have done so far under the "Research" section, and then put the research you are going to do, but haven't done yet, under "Planned Activities".

Put the research you have done so far under the "Research" section, and then put the research you are going to do, but haven't done yet, under "Planned Activities".

I see. But the part that confused me is that even under activities I have already done, it asks for the anticipated end date

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi, I submitted my TMDSAS about 2 weeks ago, but recently found out that I'll be taking on a pretty significant leadership position for next year. What would be the best way to update schools at this point? Would I just save it for secondaries/interviews?

Hi, I submitted my TMDSAS about 2 weeks ago, but recently found out that I'll be taking on a pretty significant leadership position for next year. What would be the best way to update schools at this point? Would I just save it for secondaries/interviews?

That is what I would do. You can't edit your activities now.

Hey guys, quick question about the employment section. For the "When did you hold this job?" box, it says to "Enter this job for each period of time you held it" meaning that if I worked a job from March 2013 - December 2015, I would have to enter it seven times (Freshman, Summer b/t Freshman and Sophomore, Sophomore, Summer b/t Sophomore and Junior, Junior, Summer b/t Junior and Senior, and Senior). My question is, under each entry, for the start and end times, should I use the same times (March 2013 - Dec. 2015) for each entry? Or should each entry be time specific (March 2013 - May 2013 for Freshman, June 2013 - July 2013 for that summer, etc.)? Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone! Is anyone using Interfolio to deliver letters to TMDSAS? Are you guys asking recommenders and professors to put in the TMDSAS ID in the letter itself?

Hey everyone! Is anyone using Interfolio to deliver letters to TMDSAS? Are you guys asking recommenders and professors to put in the TMDSAS ID in the letter itself?
I didn't even know that was a thing, I've seen people mention it but nothing official. My ID was not in the letter. Just attached it on interfolio and delivered to TMDSAS. Easy and quick.

Yea Sent one from Austin (where TMDSAS is located) on the 10th and wasn't received until the 20th. Then sent another one from a community college on the 12th and still hasn't been received yet
I sent one on the 11th and it was just processed today.

Same as @FCMike11. Didn't put my TMDSAS ID in the letter and it went through fine. Just need to attach it to your Interfolio delivery

Last edited:
TMDSAS tells you to link your account number with your Interfolio account. Go to your Interfolio's account section and there's a place where you can input your TMDSAS ID into your account.

How many extracurricular & leisure activities is it advised to put? I have like a gillion, but I read not to overload it.

1) Is there any reason not to apply to all of the texas med schools if it's not a crazy reach?

2) Off of wildabeastkoala, should we group hobbies together? Like sports in general, because I play a lot but I mix them up, so most aren't worth having a whole submission for themselves.

1) Is there any reason not to apply to all of the texas med schools if it's not a crazy reach?

2) Off of wildabeastkoala, should we group hobbies together? Like sports in general, because I play a lot but I mix them up, so most aren't worth having a whole submission for themselves.

1) Yes, apply to all of them.
2) Concision is key. You don't want to make it a chore for the adcoms to go over your application. Group things intelligently; if you have a ton of sports, then yes, go ahead and group them together.

Why does the app make you determine the Area of your college coursework if TMDSAS is still going to determine this when they process the app?

Why does the app make you determine the Area of your college coursework if TMDSAS is still going to determine this when they process the app?

My guess is that we're just helping them organize a bit before they have to.

I submitted my primary application 5/24/16 and it is processing. Can any kind hearted individual let me know what the average processing time is?

I submitted my primary application 5/24/16 and it is processing. Can any kind hearted individual let me know what the average processing time is?

Important Announcements
  • 05.27.2016: TMDSAS will be closed Monday, May 30th in observance of Memorial Day.
  • 05.27.2016:Current processing times:
    Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on May 19th.
    Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOEs received on May 27th.

Please be mindful that from the point that you request a transcript to the point when it appears on your [Status] page, up to 10 business days will have passed.