*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This may seem like a dumb question, but on the section where you entire in your grades it says the hour format is "##.#", but I just entered in my hours with a single number. Such as "3" for a 3 credit hour course. Did they expect us to enter it as "03.0" or something? Sorry for the dumb question but I don't want to make any mistakes on the application and come off as careless. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This may seem like a dumb question, but on the section where you entire in your grades it says the hour format is "##.#", but I just entered in my hours with a single number. Such as "3" for a 3 credit hour course. Did they expect us to enter it as "03.0" or something? Sorry for the dumb question but I don't want to make any mistakes on the application and come off as careless. Thanks!
Not a dumb question at all! You can just enter 3. It will understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say processing, do you mean calculation of your official cGPA& sGPA (and such)?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile
Well, yes. I mean till I got an email from schools saying they received my app (along with the gpa calculation).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the response! I guess my app will be processed within a few days then!

Thank you guys for the response! I guess my app will be processed within a few days then!

Lemme know when your app is processed! I sent mine on the 29th, so I'll be a few days after you

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I took a P.E. class 5 times and for the first 4 times i checked "No" for last time taken. I already submitted my app so it's too late to change it. Is this a big deal? :(

I'm really hoping it's something they can just easily reassign for me, and not something that they will see as not being able to follow directions

Last edited:
So I have a terrible GPA from undergrad (3.1), but I finished my graduate program in biomedical research with a respectable 3.85.
If you simply add my graduate coursework to my cumulative GPA, it only brings it up to a 3.2.
Does anyone have experience with a graduate program and applying via TMDSAS? Do they look at your graduate coursework independently or is it presented in one big lump? My personal statement explains the difference and what I've learned from it, but I'm not sure if there is another way to ask them to look at my last 60 hours or my graduate GPA independently of my undergrad disaster.
I understand that this is going to be an uphill battle for me but I'd really like to go to a Texas school since I'm a resident and it will cost substantially more to go to a private school.
Please and Thank you

So I have a terrible GPA from undergrad (3.1), but I finished my graduate program in biomedical research with a respectable 3.85.
If you simply add my graduate coursework to my cumulative GPA, it only brings it up to a 3.2.
Does anyone have experience with a graduate program and applying via TMDSAS? Do they look at your graduate coursework independently or is it presented in one big lump? My personal statement explains the difference and what I've learned from it, but I'm not sure if there is another way to ask them to look at my last 60 hours or my graduate GPA independently of my undergrad disaster.
I understand that this is going to be an uphill battle for me but I'd really like to go to a Texas school since I'm a resident and it will cost substantially more to go to a private school.
Please and Thank you

Undergraduate GPA and graduate GPA are looked at separately, they don't combine. I'm sure the upward trend is seen favorably, but it won't excuse your low undergrad GPA. You won't get autoscreen since it's above 3.0. Perhaps call the school and ask about your situation? You might get a nice lady over the phone who has better advice than us. I'm hopeful for you because I'm an underdog too.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I took a P.E. class 5 times and for the first 4 times i checked "No" for last time taken. I already submitted my app so it's too late to change it. Is this a big deal? :(

I'm really hoping it's something they can just easily reassign for me, and not something that they will see as not being able to follow directions

Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but it sounded like you did it right? You click "no" for the first 4 times, then "yes" for the 5th time right?

I submitted my primary application 5/24/16 and it is processing. Can any kind hearted individual let me know what the average processing time is?

I wouldn't really worry about the processing time; you got it in pretty early. TMDSAS should give you the current dates that they are processing transcripts/applications from. While you are waiting, I would recommend starting your secondary essays so that you can submit them right when you receive the invitation to complete them.

Undergraduate GPA and graduate GPA are looked at separately, they don't combine. I'm sure the upward trend is seen favorably, but it won't excuse your low undergrad GPA. You won't get autoscreen since it's above 3.0. Perhaps call the school and ask about your situation? You might get a nice lady over the phone who has better advice than us. I'm hopeful for you because I'm an underdog too.

Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but it sounded like you did it right? You click "no" for the first 4 times, then "yes" for the 5th time right?

Yea, originally I thought what I did was correct, but I was filling out the AMCAS app and checked their handbook and discovered that I still should have put "Yes" because it's a class that can be repeated. From TMDSAS:

"Instances where you would answer no ("N"):

1. If you withdrew and re-took or plan to take the course again. For the first time you took the course enter no ("N"). When retaken, enter yes ("Y").
  2. If you received a C, D, F, took a Pass/Fail or Credit/No-Credit course then re-took the course for a better grade, enter no ("N") for the first time taken and enter yes ("Y") for the second time taken."
Really hoping it's not a big deal, but feel kinda silly for not checking it beforehand

Yea, originally I thought what I did was correct, but I was filling out the AMCAS app and checked their handbook and discovered that I still should have put "Yes" because it's a class that can be repeated. From TMDSAS:

"Instances where you would answer no ("N"):

1. If you withdrew and re-took or plan to take the course again. For the first time you took the course enter no ("N"). When retaken, enter yes ("Y").
  2. If you received a C, D, F, took a Pass/Fail or Credit/No-Credit course then re-took the course for a better grade, enter no ("N") for the first time taken and enter yes ("Y") for the second time taken."
Really hoping it's not a big deal, but feel kinda silly for not checking it beforehand

Ah, they should add a #3 to that and clarify that some courses are MEANT to be repeatable. PE classes seem to be a grey zone there. I still think you did the right thing by putting No. If you put Yes four times or something, it's just wrong factually wrong because it wouldn't have been the last time you've taken it. I wouldn't stress about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just imported my activities for the "Chronology of Activities" section. Did you guys go edit all descriptions to fit under 50 characters, or did you just leave it in its truncated form?

My application got transmitted to schools today!
so it took about a week after submission:)

I wouldn't worry about it. i talked to the TMDSAS admin and they said they change those things on their end.
even if they didn't it is PE so it shouldn't be really relevant anyways

Are you guys just good writers? I have all the time in the world and I'm never satisfied with these secondaries.

Not a dumb question at all! You can just enter 3. It will understand.
Thank you! I was admittedly stressing out over that even though it seems so simple lol

I just imported my activities for the "Chronology of Activities" section. Did you guys go edit all descriptions to fit under 50 characters, or did you just leave it in its truncated form?
I left it.

So I'm working on the last two essays for the primary app, and trying to decide on a topic. I want to talk about how sports, specifically soccer, have played a significant role in my development. I played consistently growing up and on a nationally competitive team in high school. I didn't play varsity sports in college because I had a scholarship to a D1 school that doesn't have a men's soccer team, so I mostly played intramural and pick-up on the weekends, but I did spend a lot of time doing this. I just feel like this isn't significant enough to include for some reason, but I still want to. Do you guys feel like it's an appropriate topic? If so, which essay would it

So I'm working on the last two essays for the primary app, and trying to decide on a topic. I want to talk about how sports, specifically soccer, have played a significant role in my development. I played consistently growing up and on a nationally competitive team in high school. I didn't play varsity sports in college because I had a scholarship to a D1 school that doesn't have a men's soccer team, so I mostly played intramural and pick-up on the weekends, but I did spend a lot of time doing this. I just feel like this isn't significant enough to include for some reason, but I still want to. Do you guys feel like it's an appropriate topic? If so, which essay would it
I'm not sure. This is your chance to further present yourself/allow the schools to get to know you and why you want to be a physician. I've written both of mine already and would be glad to help (if you find me helpful) on maybe different personal characteristics that would be suitable. I'm sure people have used go sports before but I think you'd need to find a way to integrate it into healthcare or perhaps to present personal characteristics you possess that'd be applicable to medicine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Anyone having trouble with this question from Tech? What are they looking for? I'm in my city because my parents raised me here :/. I got nothing significant to say about it besides its central location.

" What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)? "

Anyone having trouble with this question from Tech? What are they looking for? I'm in my city because my parents raised me here :/. I got nothing significant to say about it besides its central location.

" What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)? "

Sorry not answering your question lol, but are the Tech secondary by invite?

Sorry not answering your question lol, but are the Tech secondary by invite?

Apparently there's no prescreen, but you have to submit your primary first. I got the question off the Texas Tech specific thread.

Well, I wrote about how I didn't really notice much about the city until I left and came back from college. Then I saw what I appreciated (the nature and quiet) and what I didn't like (the noisy development). I don't know what they want, but that's what I wrote.

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently there's no prescreen, but you have to submit your primary first. I got the question off the Texas Tech specific thread.

So it's like UTSW and A&M where you just need to sign up yourself?

So it's like UTSW and A&M where you just need to sign up yourself?

No, I think you submit primaries and then they'll send you the secondaries. I saw your question in the 2016-2017 thread and looked it up in the 2015-2016 thread. That's what one poster said.

Just submitted my primary today. Best of luck to everyone!!

Just submitted mine, but when it did the gpa calculation it did not have the new academic fresh start gpa. Will it update to the new gpa?

Right now it's cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 3.4
But without my old courses it is cGPA 3.933 and sGPA 3.95

I had a good number of people read the essays for my primary, but I feel like with the rush of secondaries, it's not as possible to have other eyes take a look at them. Are y'all having people read over your secondaries?

Also, does our app need to be transmitted before we can submit our secondaries?

Last edited:
I do not take the MCAT until July, should I still go ahead and submit ASAP? Still tweaking my essays.

Important Announcements
  • 05.27.2016: TMDSAS will be closed Monday, May 30th in observance of Memorial Day.
  • 05.27.2016:Current processing times:
    Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on May 19th.
    Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOEs received on May 27th.

Please be mindful that from the point that you request a transcript to the point when it appears on your [Status] page, up to 10 business days will have passed.

I sent my transcript on May 17th (13 business days) and it still has not been received by TMDSAS yet. My friends who sent their transcripts about an hour before me have their TMDSAS showing received as of June 2, 2016. It is now June 4, 2016 and still nothing for me.

Should I be concerned or call TMDSAS?

Last edited:
I sent my transcript on May 17th (13 business days) and it still has not been received by TMDSAS yet. My friends who sent their transcripts about an hour before me have their TMDSAS showing received as of June 2, 2016. It is now June 4, 2016 and still nothing for me.

Should I be concerned or call TMDSAS?
Resend. Sometimes the transcripts get lost in the mail.

I do not take the MCAT until July, should I still go ahead and submit ASAP? Still tweaking my essays.
Go ahead and submit your primary. Once the mcat scores come in August, they will be sent later. At least you will have your primary app verified and transmitted to the schools.

I had a good number of people read the essays for my primary, but I feel like with the rush of secondaries, it's not as possible to have other eyes take a look at them. Are y'all having people read over your secondaries?

Also, does our app need to be transmitted before we can submit our secondaries?
I had done something similar. Got my primary app essays read by others, but it is not possible for the secondaries, unless you have someone extremely dedicated who will have the shortest turnaround time. You must submit your primary application to submit your secondaries.

Just submitted mine, but when it did the gpa calculation it did not have the new academic fresh start gpa. Will it update to the new gpa?

Right now it's cGPA 3.2 and sGPA 3.4
But without my old courses it is cGPA 3.933 and sGPA 3.95
Instead of worrying about this, shoot them an email.

How long is everyone taking on these secondaries? I submitted on 5/29, but still haven't finished the ones for UTSW, A&M, and TCOM like I had hoped to.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-2011-2012-tmdsas-processing-thread.823106/

This link is a few years old, but I think it's a good reference to use regardless
Aww that was my year. good times in that thread.

The lull period for texas school is pretty much now until the end of the month. end of Juneish i would expect to hear back from schools for interviews. UTMB and TCOM were first. UTH and TAMU where some of the later ones. UTSW pretty much will go down a number metrics after they screen through their initial apps for interviews, so higher numbers you have the earlier you'll get an invite. In that year, i think someone got an invite for January date with a 3.5-3.6 with a 30-31 MCAT iirc

How long is everyone taking on these secondaries? I submitted on 5/29, but still haven't finished the ones for UTSW, A&M, and TCOM like I had hoped to.

I've recently submitted some this week, and still have some more to go. I feel like if you get them in within a week or so from now it wouldn't be too bad and still considered "early".

I've recently submitted some this week, and still have some more to go. I feel like if you get them in within a week or so from now it wouldn't be too bad and still considered "early".

Ok thanks! I just transmitted yesterday so I'm hoping to finish them by the end of the week

Submitted my application today. Got an immediate BCPM calculation and it is a bit lower (.09 - which is significant for me) than what I personally calculated. What's the chance that this changes as my app is verified? I understand my current BCPM TMDSAS GPA is based on how I did course input, that could be the issue, but I do not see how (did thorough input on an excel sheet on my own).

Anything I can do really at this point? Call? Or wait?

Submitted my application today. Got an immediate BCPM calculation and it is a bit lower (.09 - which is significant for me) than what I personally calculated. What's the chance that this changes as my app is verified? I understand my current BCPM TMDSAS GPA is based on how I did course input, that could be the issue, but I do not see how (did thorough input on an excel sheet on my own).

Anything I can do really at this point? Call? Or wait?

They will verify it with your transcript. It really doesn't matter how you input it (unless you inputed the wrong course hours or something). I honestly don't think there's much you can do.

Will be taking my MCAT July 8 but I've already submitted my application. How will the timing affect me? My numbers are mediocre.

Will be taking my MCAT July 8 but I've already submitted my application. How will the timing affect me? My numbers are mediocre.
You are looking at receiving your mcat scores in August. Your file is not complete until the schools receive all the supplemental materials. In reality, no one really knows how the adcoms look at the apps. Good luck!

would taking more than 3 weeks to submit your 2's be frowned upon? I am struggling to get everything done and edited. I submitted TMDSAS 20May.
I don't think it matters how long you sit on the secondaries. Your file will be incomplete until you submit the secondaries, and the schools usually do not review the incompletes. Good Luck!

I submitted my app June 2nd. Still has not been transmitted. Could anyone that recently had their app transmitted tell me when they submitted?

I submitted my app June 2nd. Still has not been transmitted. Could anyone that recently had their app transmitted tell me when they submitted?

I submitted 5/29 and transmitted 6/7, so hopefully just a few more days for you. I don't think they look at them over the weekend

Per the TMDSAS Website:
"06.10.2016:Current processing times:
Applications: currently processing applications submitted on June 1st.
Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on May 31st.
Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOEs received on June 9th. "

Last edited:
quick question, I know TMDSAS is relatively inexpensive to apply to. It is worth applying as an NJ resident with a 3.83/508? Or are my stats too low for it to be worth it? Thank you!