*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I have my name on two research posters, is there a place where I can put it in the application? Or should I just indicate that I created a research poster in the description of the corresponding research activity?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to add all the out of state school you are applying to in TMDSAS ? If I am applying to 15 other OOS schools, should I only add a few or add or only that I am certain of applying to?

Also for mailing address: do they actually send stuff or is it all pretty much electronically done? I may be travelling/not having my own place so wondering whether to put my mom's address (But she is not reliable about notifying me) or a friend instead?

Also :
-for people with non-traditional family / single-parent family - How important it is to list GRANDmothers or other relatives? The TMDSAS asks you if any other adults played a role in your upbringing

- When I took the SAT, there was no writing section lol so I wonder if I can just give my self full points on that section :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is using LORs dated from 2015 that big of a deal when applying for the entering class of 2017? I have read that a few schools will not consider your LOR as "official" unless they are dated current from the calendar year preceding proposed enrollment.

I didn't find anywhere in the TMDSAS 2016-2017 handbook that said this. I submitted my TMDSAS primary a few weeks ago with 2015 dated letters, but am now reading this on some of the individual school's websites.

So apparently MCAT scores don't automatically get sent...which is good for me I guess...

I'm retaking the MCAT later and hoping for a (way) better score, should I send both my scores at the same time so it lessens the devastating first MCAT score?
I'm afraid if I send in the low MCAT score I'll get screened out before they get my (hopefully) better one or will they wait for both to come in either way?

Only math classes will be added back into your BCPM. Everything else under Other Science is likely a science course without a BIO/PHYS/CHEM (or similar, whatever is used at your school) designation, so it stays out of the BCPM calculation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
WOAH. What about classes with a biochemistry designation? Like BCHS or BIOC?!?!?! is that not in my BCPM GPA?!?!?!?

Guys should I wait to submit my app until when my MCAT score comes out? I'll get it back July 19. If I submit now and they see my old score, will they not consider my new score??!

Guys should I wait to submit my app until when my MCAT score comes out? I'll get it back July 19. If I submit now and they see my old score, will they not consider my new score??!
That's a good question. I think it would be wise to submit when the new score comes out so they don't have to dig you back up to review. It's better they see the improvement the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a good question. I think it would be wise to submit when the new score comes out so they don't have to dig you back up to review. It's better they see the improvement the first time.
But can't I just check that I will be expecting new scores to come in?

But can't I just check that I will be expecting new scores to come in?
I guess you could... I was just thinking that if you submitted now, they may not go back through the pile as readily as they would seeing the app for the first time... You may be right though...

I guess you could... I was just thinking that if you submitted now, they may not go back through the pile as readily as they would seeing the app for the first time... You may be right though...
Okay but if I submitted right now, the primary won't get processed for like ~2 weeks anyway, by then I'll def know my score so maybe it's good to do it now then?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would submit now. Schools wont consider you complete until they have all of your MCAT scores anyways and it takes a while for all the schools to receive your primary.

I would submit now. Schools wont consider you complete until they have all of your MCAT scores anyways and it takes a while for all the schools to receive your primary.

So submit now and AMCAS as well right?

Guys the thing is though that since I'm waiting till July 19 for scores to come out, if I submit right now, I would indicate on TMDSAS and AMCAS that I'll be expecting a score. So when I submit, will schools even consider me before that score comes out? And when it does, will I get looked at later/not as strongly since they've already seen my older score?

Guys the thing is though that since I'm waiting till July 19 for scores to come out, if I submit right now, I would indicate on TMDSAS and AMCAS that I'll be expecting a score. So when I submit, will schools even consider me before that score comes out? And when it does, will I get looked at later/not as strongly since they've already seen my older score?
Schools will not consider your application until all your scores are in. Even the one coming out on July 19, so don't fret and submit. It takes TMDSAS unto 3 weeks to process your app and send it to the schools, so you are in the clear.

Yea, I mean you kind of have to indicate all of your scores on TMDSAS anyways, right? I'm pretty sure they will wait for your second score before they start reviewing you. I would call a school and ask what they say.

Only math classes will be added back into your BCPM. Everything else under Other Science is likely a science course without a BIO/PHYS/CHEM (or similar, whatever is used at your school) designation, so it stays out of the BCPM calculation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Schools will not consider your application until all your scores are in. Even the one coming out on July 19, so don't fret and submit. It takes TMDSAS unto 3 weeks to process your app and send it to the schools, so you are in the clear.

Yea, I mean you kind of have to indicate all of your scores on TMDSAS anyways, right? I'm pretty sure they will wait for your second score before they start reviewing you. I would call a school and ask what they say.

Right but my point is that even if scores come out July 19, and processing takes 3 weeks, then I would basically still be processing for another 2 weeks if I submit tonight by the time scores are out. If I submit on July 19, it's up to 3 weeks from that date, so it's even longer. So submitting ASAP is still better, right? Am I thinking of this the right way?

Right but my point is that even if scores come out July 19, and processing takes 3 weeks, then I would basically still be processing for another 2 weeks if I submit tonight by the time scores are out. If I submit on July 19, it's up to 3 weeks from that date, so it's even longer. So submitting ASAP is still better, right? Am I thinking of this the right way?
Yes, you are on the right track. If you've listed all your MCAT Dates on the app, just go ahead and hit that submit button. Every week that is delayed will result in lower chance of receiving interviews.

Yes, you are on the right track. If you've listed all your MCAT Dates on the app, just go ahead and hit that submit button. Every week that is delayed will result in lower chance of receiving interviews.
Exactly. I think it's high time to submit.
Most frustrating thing is that I was supposed to take my mcat June 2. But the damn testing center lost power and I had to get it rescheduled to June 18.

Exactly. I think it's high time to submit.
Most frustrating thing is that I was supposed to take my mcat June 2. But the damn testing center lost power and I had to get it rescheduled to June 18.
This whole Goud Damn Process is a crapshoot. Sooner or later we will all realize lol

Yea that was the point I was trying to make. It would be better to submit now than later.

Quick question, it says this: "By Oct 1 of this year will you have lived in Texas continually for the last 12 months?"

Technically no I won't have because I'm in Maryland since June 13 of this year. So do I lose texas residency?!

How do you know for sure they won't consider you? I scored pretty good last year and am looking to retake in July. A;ready submitted primary and secondary apps… I don't want them to be waiting an extra 2 months for this score if they don't have to. Does cancelling look bad?

How do you know for sure they won't consider you? I scored pretty good last year and am looking to retake in July. A;ready submitted primary and secondary apps… I don't want them to be waiting an extra 2 months for this score if they don't have to. Does cancelling look bad?
I think it will be safe to call the schools and ask. TMDSAS sends out the app and supporting material as they come. But the schools might have their own policies regarding when to review the app. If you have a score on the primary app that is yet to be received, most schools will consider your app to be incomplete.
You shouldn't delete the MCAT date if you are going to take it - that will be lying. Unless you cancel the test, then feel free to delete that date from the primary. Good Luck!

I think it will be safe to call the schools and ask. TMDSAS sends out the app and supporting material as they come. But the schools might have their own policies regarding when to review the app. If you have a score on the primary app that is yet to be received, most schools will consider your app to be incomplete.
You shouldn't delete the MCAT date if you are going to take it - that will be lying. Unless you cancel the test, then feel free to delete that date from the primary. Good Luck!
Submitted early this morning!
Since I'd already taken the MCAT on 6/18, I clicked on "No" for the question on whether I'm going to take between now and Oct. 1. That was the right decision, yeah?

Reactions: 1 users
Do any schools begin the review process for consideration of an II without LoR? My final letter writer is really, reallyyyy taking their time and I'm hoping it doesn't affect the process too much.

Do any schools begin the review process for consideration of an II without LoR? My final letter writer is really, reallyyyy taking their time and I'm hoping it doesn't affect the process too much.
Some schools do.

Guys, there's no way to add another activity after submitting is there? I completely forgot to add my time as a biochem TA in the app...

Guys, there's no way to add another activity after submitting is there? I completely forgot to add my time as a biochem TA in the app...

Don't think you can :/ but it's worth a shot calling them to see if you can add it on there

If TMDSAS has all the transcripts does it take them the 3 weeks to verify you after you submit? I will have all the secondaries done for UTSW and TCOM done this weekend and will submit them on Monday. I'm trying to figure out what to expect... Also waiting on the June 18th score

If TMDSAS has all the transcripts does it take them the 3 weeks to verify you after you submit? I will have all the secondaries done for UTSW and TCOM done this weekend and will submit them on Monday. I'm trying to figure out what to expect... Also waiting on the June 18th score

Verifying transcripts took a really short time. I sent them electronically had it was done in a few hours. It wasn't a batch file either as I sent them electronically at different times since my schools screwed up. This was back mid-June. It took a bit under three weeks to be transmitted to schools after I submitted.

So is being complete in early August considered super late?

So is being complete in early August considered super late?

Anecdotally, my friend with awesome stats got interviews in all the schools he applied to and he was completed in August. However, there are people in the TCOM thread with interview dates for August already :/. It would be late, but not a death sentence to your app.

Anecdotally, my friend with awesome stats got interviews in all the schools he applied to and he was completed in August. However, there are people in the TCOM thread with interview dates for August already :/. It would be late, but not a death sentence to your app.
is that for OOS only or for both in state and out of state?

Does anyone know if TMDSAS will count research science classes as BCPM? Will it also count my senior honors thesis as BCPM? Both were in the biochemistry department of my university. they are about 12 hours total.

I was going through the college coursework section of the application, and I noticed that a lot of my BCPM courses were reclassified to nonscience courses. I was wondering what I would have to do to appeal this.

When will I know if they accepted my classifications? Once I submit or once all my transcripts have been received? I know that my gpa won't be calculated until I submit just curious about the classifications

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Submitted! Let's hope it's not too late

Question about the "Planned Activities" section:
My back-up plan if I'm not accepted this cycle is to apply to a TX master's program at UNT. Should I put this on the planned activities section or leave it out? I don't want to seem like I'm giving up on this cycle, but I also want to address my low GPA.

Hi there,

If your school is going to send a committee letter evaluation using quotations from LORS (and will also attach have like 4-5 letterS) TMDSAS doesn't limit that number of LORs but will that be a problem for the med schools? Will they read all the letters or only the number they require? Ie. if a school only requires 3, will they read/consider all 4-5 that are send in Commitee letter?

ANYONE working on submitting the appli with in the next 2 days?!? :):):)

Also, I attended 3 universities and didn't list them in the coursework/school attended section in chronological order.

ie, A, B, C (From most recent to most further away in the past) but I listed them as ( B, A, C) . Will TMDAS put them in order or should I delete all my courses and put them in ordeR?

Hi there,

If your school is going to send a committee letter evaluation using quotations from LORS (and will also attach have like 4-5 letterS) TMDSAS doesn't limit that number of LORs but will that be a problem for the med schools? Will they read all the letters or only the number they require? Ie. if a school only requires 3, will they read/consider all 4-5 that are send in Commitee letter?
The committee at my school only ever wanted three letters because most (if not all) schools will only read the first three letters in the packet. There are so many applications to get through that they frankly don't have time to read more than what they require.

Hey I have some foreign coursework that was not used to calculate my GPA (which ended up being a very good thing). However, I had to input all of my grades. Do ADCOMs still take that into account? I explained my grades in one of the supplementary essays but since they have it and will probably look at it, will it affect me? I know this question will garner a lot of speculation but is my TMDSAS GPA going to have that asterisk?

Also, I attended 3 universities and didn't list them in the coursework/school attended section in chronological order.

ie, A, B, C (From most recent to most further away in the past) but I listed them as ( B, A, C) . Will TMDAS put them in order or should I delete all my courses and put them in ordeR?
The dates are what are used to put things in order in the chronology of activities. I inputed my stuff out of order and when I saved them it put things in order. As long as your dates are good, everything should be fine.

Hey I have some foreign coursework that was not used to calculate my GPA (which ended up being a very good thing). However, I had to input all of my grades. Do ADCOMs still take that into account? I explained my grades in one of the supplementary essays but since they have it and will probably look at it, will it affect me? I know this question will garner a lot of speculation but is my TMDSAS GPA going to have that asterisk?

So then, should I contact my committee letter folks and tell them to put the best 3 ones on the front?! :

Also I called TMDSAS , they said I can put all the sealed envelope transcripts into a bigger envelope and mail them myself. Yet some ppl said the colleges have to send them.
Any ideas? I figured me sending all 3 transcripts from 3 colleges together will work out better .
Yes, it's anxious behavior and not best way to ask this question again; But I don't want to delay more the application verification.